Dayton Memories Blog > Dayton in the 60s and 70s
Dayton in the 60s and 70s
Login  |  Register
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

corvettes6
8 posts
Dec 03, 2008
11:56 AM
Here is an interesting downtown Dayton fact. In early 60's there was a downtown nightclub called Johnny K's reef at 209 N. Main St. About 1969 Larry Flint bought the place and changed the name to The Hustler and it became a Go-Go Bar. He also published a free paper that was distributed at bars called THE Bachalor Beat. Look where Dayton took him
corvettes6
10 posts
Dec 03, 2008
1:12 PM
Driver 62 you would remember this we are close in age. The Roundevouz was on north side of Salem NW of Hillcrest next to the Redhead gas station. They tore it down and built Stumps Market. The Forvm was later built across the street next to the Country Club. The neat thing about it was all the acts from out of town. They had a .50 cover.
tlturbo
51 posts
Dec 03, 2008
1:42 PM
corvettes6 - yep remember that. Where Dayton Xenia Pike crossed and became Linden (am I right?) turn on 35 heading toward Dayton and race.
Denny's is in Lake Worth off of Hypoluxo. South of that is Boynton Beach, Del Ray Beach, Boca Raton then Deerfield. It is about 15 minutes S on 95. Not all that far. Denny's is just a little local get together Monday nights so we get out of the house and BS for a whie. Nothing great.
The name Hotopp rings a bell. Not sure why though.
A close friend of mine from Beavercreek came to FL about 76 but was in the Troy club and was very active so you probably knew him. Merrill Lessig - had a white 63 split window. I got him hooked on vettes all those years ago.

Last Edited by on Dec 03, 2008 1:45 PM
SeeDavid
89 posts
Dec 03, 2008
5:26 PM
CAR GUYS: I have been told by a reliable source that Gene "By Golly" Barry worked as a car salesman for Walker Brothers Motors on N. Main St. My source informs me that this was in the 70's or perhaps early 80's. Just beeping in to the revving engine area...toot toot. ~c

Last Edited by on Dec 04, 2008 2:30 PM
corvettes6
11 posts
Dec 03, 2008
6:35 PM
Anyone remember the Purple Onion on Free Pike? I think I heard that Gene was selling cars in the late 70's. I think all those old disc jocks hung out at the Tall Timbers Club in Huber Heights including Kirkee.
driver62
142 posts
Dec 04, 2008
7:46 AM
Corvettes6 - I know the location of the Roundevouz but I only remember Stumps market being there. The building is still there and there's some type of business there but I have no idea what it is. I didn't move to Dayton until 1972 so it may have been gone by then.

The Forvm that I knew was on Siebenthaler. Of course, they could have started on Salem and moved at a later time.

Last Edited by on Dec 04, 2008 7:49 AM
davew
3 posts
Dec 04, 2008
11:09 AM
On of the things I remember most is playing hockey on the lagoon next to box 21 in the 60's. The city would keep a bon fire going and there was hot chocolate. Box 21 would flood the ice at night and make the surface smooth for the next day. Those were the days.

Last Edited by on Dec 04, 2008 11:44 AM
SeeDavid
90 posts
Dec 04, 2008
11:35 AM
About the Oldies Station: WSWO, Huber Heights, OH
"Dayton Oldies" Southwestern Ohio Public Radio. To see photos of area, events and other stuff, WSWO-photos@att.net. They are accepting donations to be kept on the air...just like WYSO in Yellow Springs. Better than "pay" radio guys, without the commercials...lot's of variety and good songs.
Tune in...remember when? ~c
maxed out
56 posts
Dec 04, 2008
2:36 PM
Do you remember the chrome Christmas tree... ? One year we had this color wheel that had 4 colors that turned slowly and changed the color of the tree. I think they were red, blue, green, and maybe yellow, How ugly was that.
Remember the balsa wood glider planes that were in a bag that you put together. I forget who made them but they never worked like they were supposed to.
The worst toy I got was a Whammo slingshot, I loved it but it did nothing but got me in trouble."That thing will put your eye out kid "...
Keugene48
4 posts
Dec 04, 2008
3:31 PM
My favorite Christmas present was a Tiny Tears doll, complete with some clothes and a bottle and pacifier. The first one had painted on hair and eyes but the second one had curly hair and eyes that opened and closed. Something happened to the head, probably my brother took a marker to it, but my mom took it to Rikes and they replaced the head. My mom said the look on my face when they gave it back to me was priceless. I also had a bride doll that was made of cloth and as tall as I was. She had straps on her feet
so that I could make her walk and dance when I put my shoes in the straps.
Becky73
43 posts
Dec 04, 2008
8:41 PM
Hey Cindi - I had one of those metal gas station/car thing with two levels. No clue where it came from. Also got the metal doll house with plastic furniture one Christmas. Played with that until it died. I see rusted out incomplete sets of them every once in a while at the antique stores. Ahh... the memories. I also had Tiny Tears and Chatty Cathy with the pull string voice. Oh... and the dreaded first Barbie which was actually a birthday present from my parents best friend. He had no children and delighted in getting me inappropiate presents like the set of lipsticks the Christmas I was 12. I had to fight to keep them.
SeeDavid
94 posts
Dec 05, 2008
7:07 AM
Becky AND Karen: Remember those fake lipsticks in our stockings made out of wax..Becky the lucky one with real ones! Tried to teach us to be proper ladies when we were little. Those Barbies...black and white swim suit, right? Oh, no the guys will freak.

DAVE's MEMORIES AS DICTATED: "Daisy" BBgun,(melted part of the stock at a campout), guys, and didn't shoot my eye out like Ralphie, Max, but my Uncle Johnny DID with a Red Ryder one! Little celluloid bear who smoked a cigarette (somehow) and blew the smoke out...they taught us early didn't they? NON SMOKERS HERE, by the way.
Car guys: AURORA slot car race set and cars...SEARS train..(we still have it for grandchildren). He is going to get back with me with more stuff. I know all of you had cowboy stuff...

Something baby brother had: Alvin the Chipmunk stuffed that felt like real "munk" (not mink)...he had a giant "A" on his T Shirt. **bling** ~C

Last Edited by on Dec 05, 2008 7:35 AM
Keugene48
6 posts
Dec 05, 2008
11:37 AM
ok I am older than some on this site but who had Mickey Mouse ears for Christmas and watched the Mickey Mouse club?
I wanted the shiny ones that they gave away to the talent winners only I didn't have any talent. I fell in love with Spin (Tim Considine) on Spin & Marty and the original Hardy Boys. I loved Karen because we shared a name. I was envious of Annette's whole body, curly hair and all.
Also loved Captain Kangaroo, such a wonderful show. I loved the jokes and the songs (Susie Snowflake, Hambone, Gandy Dancers Ball- we had a record), the Banana Man and of course the ping pong balls.
We watched some Uncle Al but because it broadcast from Cincinnati we could only get it when the weather was right and our antennae in the exact spot. Do you remember trying to turn the antennae on the house to try to get better reception? Took two men and a boy and it never helped much. My mom didn't approve of the show much because they talked down to children or so she always said.
We didn't watch much TV but it was quality when we did.

Last Edited by on Dec 11, 2008 4:02 PM
tlturbo
54 posts
Dec 05, 2008
12:24 PM
Keugene - older than SOME of the whipper snappers on here but NOT all of us. I REMEMBER those shows. Read every Hardy Boys book. Howdy Doody, Pinkey Lee and if you are really that old, how about Captain Video and the Video Rangers, Sky King, Flash Gordon, Captain Midnight, Soupy Sales, and of course the Mickey Mouse Club. Here is a REAL old one. You bought a green, transparent plastic film that stuck with static electricity to the TV screen. The cartoon hero (some kind of animal or a star???) would need help like getting across a river and you took a crayon and drew a line on the plastic for him to run across. After show was over, you just took off the plastic for next time. Now THAT is REAL INTERACTIVE TV. Anyone remember that? I remember Rotor antennas that never seemed to work the way they should but were really neat.
OH YEAH - I'm sure there were a LOT of us that admired Annette for much more than just her talent. hee hee I saw a pic of her the other day - still hanging in there.
maxed out
57 posts
Dec 05, 2008
1:00 PM
Hi HO Hee Hee, My name is Pinky Lee.
tlturbo , wasn't that piece of plastic we put on our TV Winky Dink. I had one also.
corvettes6
12 posts
Dec 05, 2008
1:17 PM
I just came upstairs and entered this century by logging on to this blog. I can't believe no one has talked about Lionel trains. I have been running my train and the 4-6-4 engine I got for Christmas in 1955. My Dad bought it from the Rike's display on Christmas eve. Still smokes. It is fun seeing some other senior citizens getting invoved in this blog. Remember Howdy Doodie with Clarabelle the Clown and Princes Summer Fall Winter Spring. Do not remember the plastic on the screen to draw on however we didn't have a Tv until 1955 Dad didn't think we needed one. He also told me that none of the things in Capt. Video and Buck Rogers would ever happen. I hope our generation doesn't have the tunnel vision of some past generations. Wish I was 40 years younger to see what happens in another forty years.

Last Edited by on Dec 05, 2008 1:19 PM
Keugene48
7 posts
Dec 05, 2008
1:55 PM
I remember the first TV show I saw in color- Steve Allen used to have "theme" shows occasionally on Sunday nights I think. He had a Hawaiian one and some friends of my parents had a color TV and we got to watch it. Lots of BRIGHT oranges and reds and yellows, it was so amazing. Finally got a color TV set in 1969, my husband and I wanted to watch the Tom Jones show in color.
JohnC
45 posts
Dec 05, 2008
2:36 PM
tlturbo-

Don't know how recent the pic of Annette was that you saw... She's in pretty bad shape these days. I think she has either MS or ALS. Last I saw her on TV, she was all bent up and confined to a wheel chair. You could just barely recognize who she was. Really sad to see all the great people we admired as kids either sick, or worse-no longer with us. Geez-reminds me how old I've gotten. Now I have to wash that image outta my brain...

My first color TV show (at least the one I remember most vividly)-"The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" on the Wonderful World of Color with host Walt Disney. It was bit intense for a disney flick. Scared the crap out of me. I think it was about 1964 or so...

Last Edited by on Dec 05, 2008 7:30 PM
SeeDavid
98 posts
Dec 05, 2008
10:43 PM
Keugene: K- Do you also remember on Capt. Kangaroo, Mighty Mouse: "Here I Come to Save the Day!", Tom Terrific...his wonder dog: Manfred, Crabby Appleton, The Drawing Window, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose, the Grandfather clock that taught us time and that big ring of keys the Captain pulled out of those giant pockets of his Capt. suit, not to mention Mr. Green Jeans...yes, I remember that record! I had it!

Cincinnati shows: Uncle Al, the Skipper Ryle Show (Sunday mornings right before Church and right before Shirley Temple Movies ...we had talked about before ...the local bands who played on it)!

How about Hattie the Witch on clear days when we could pull in WCPO with the rotor antennas that Max talked about? Those antenna's were a pain, but better than Dad on a two story roof yelling like the Dad in Christmas Story! (Now, he was the real BUMPAS Dad!) he he....this is good, I am feeling that you all are having fun...even got Dave in on this, too! **bling**
~C

Last Edited by on Dec 05, 2008 10:45 PM
Keugene48
8 posts
Dec 06, 2008
7:19 AM
C- remember Krackatoa Katie on Mighty Mouse, that was my favorite MM cartoon. I also had a cowgirl outfit complete with 6 shooters that took caps. Most of the time the caps wouldn't work in the guns so we took rocks to them and shot them that way. My daughter would absolutely freak if I bought my grandson guns and little packages of gunpowder to shoot! Wonder why we are not all murderers?
I belonged to the Weekly Reader book club, got 2 books then a book every month or so. I loved to read and whatever that month's book was about that is what I wanted to be: archeologist finding dinosaur bones, social worker, sheep rancher in Montana. Also the little Weekly Reader pamphlet we got at school, Jack & Jill magazine, Humpty Dumpty magazine and of course Dick, Jane and Sally and Spot and Puff.

Last Edited by on Dec 06, 2008 7:27 AM
Becky73
46 posts
Dec 06, 2008
7:38 AM
Oh, now you are getting into MY world....books. Because of my heart surgery I could only run and play by reading about it. I so remember Weekly Readers. We used to have assignments to read a certain article from it and answer questions for homework. I had the whole thing read before I left the building. We had book sales at school and that was one thing my Mom would buy me without complaining about the cost. Those Dick, Jane, Sally and Spot books are collectors items now. Would love to have one. The art in them is classic 40's and 50's stuff. And I too had a Lionel train set before it was decided that I needed to give it up to the boys down the street. My girls always wanted a train set to run around the Christmas tree, but we never got one. They all look cheap to me now in comparison.
rfk61
3 posts
Dec 06, 2008
1:26 PM
Christmas memories! I have a few! I remember the year I got my Miss America red, white and blue banana seat bike and it was snowing but it didn't matter. I had to take it for a spin anyways! My brothers electronic football game. The one where the whole thing just shook and the players buzzed all around the field. Those orange Hot Wheels race tracks that my brother, sister and I used to smack each other with. I look back at pictures of some of the Christmas trees we had and man those poor things looked shabby. I remember the neighbor had bubble lights on her tree but we didn't, so I would always go over there and look at hers.
SeeDavid....yes there were Creepy Crawlers. There were also Incredible Edibles where the heating oven thingy looked like a little monster or something.
Some food memories here....Shake a Puddin', sweet tarts when they were in the shiny gold package, Funny Face drink mix (Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry!), Mr. Pretzel sticks in a box, Kuntz potato chips in the big can, Freakies cereal, Kool Pops, Danish Go Rounds! Oh, I loved those! They really need to bring those back.
maxed out
58 posts
Dec 06, 2008
3:06 PM
rfk61....I always hesitated to mention Kuntz potato chips. Kuntz was a small factory on Home Ave. in Xenia that made the chips. I went to school with one of the kids. Carolyn Kuntz from kindergarten til gradualtion in Xenia. And a great chip they were.
SeeDavid.....Dick and Jane must have run over 10,000 miles all together.
tlturbo
55 posts
Dec 09, 2008
5:37 AM
Allen - YES Lorna Doons - hadn't thought about them in years and I did like them.

I FINALLY thought of the restaurant that served something I liked and NO ONE has mentioned it before (I don't think).

Anyone remember the OLLIE BURGER??? From LUMS? The only Lums location I remember was over on Linden just West of Woodman I believe. It was across the street from a shopping center. When I moved to Florida in 72, there was one in Ft Myers for a few years but it became something else probably in the mid to late 70's. I used to love that burger. So WHO is going to send me Marions Pizza's for Christmas? HA HA
Becky73
47 posts
Dec 09, 2008
7:16 PM
I remember Sky King - I guess re-runs. But I didn't remember the Lorna Doones in the show. I guess product placement has been around for a while. ( Any one remember Reeces Pieces in the movie ET? ) But Lorna Doones are still out there. There are some in my cabinet as we speak. I buy them when I crave shortbread cookies. I'd chip in for the Marions pizza but would rather eat it myself. Send them a box of Esther Price candy. Easier to send by mail.
tlturbo
56 posts
Dec 10, 2008
5:45 AM
Allen, - if you look on the internet, the LAST Lums happens to be about 30 minutes S of me in Davie Fl which is out West from Lauderdale. If you do a web search for Ollie Burger recipie, you will find a discussion about Lums, etc. Supposedly, one of the original guys makes and sells the spices for the Ollie Burger for $9 a lb. I used to love those.
ANd I was just kidding Cinci abut sending Marions to FL. I'll just wait until I'm up there next time. GREAT thought though.
So where was everyones favorite (or closest) Cassano's location back then? I remember one on Airways Rd just East of the gate into Wright Field and another near the Knollwood Pharmacy over on Dayton Xenia Pike in Beavercreek. There was one across from the Parkmoore at Forest Park I think and the main one out off of Dorothy Lane (Stroop?). Like I mentioned several post pages back, when I lived in Ft Myers in the 70's, I was thrilled to see a Cassano's opening up. I learned he built it for his son to run but it didn't make it very long.
Becky73
48 posts
Dec 10, 2008
6:07 AM
Yes, there was a Cassanos near Forest Park plaza but not across from the Parkmoor. That was Frishes for a while. Not whatever it was is gone. The Cassanos was down Main a little more near the music store and I think past Shearers. That is where my pizza came while I was living in Dayton. I don't think it is there any more. Not much of anything there any more.
driver62
144 posts
Dec 10, 2008
6:41 AM
Becky - You are correct about the location of Cassanos on North Main and it's still open.

The Frischs place was empty for awhile then a Tex-Mex place called the Round Up opened there. It's also out of business. They had several shootings there so that probably sped up its demise.
Keugene48
10 posts
Dec 10, 2008
7:13 AM
Allen- I remember Sugar Jets cereal for the simple reason that my little brother put one up his nose and couldn't get it out. My mom took a long time to finally get it out of his 4 year old nose.
Also we went to the Cassano's at Wayne and Wyoming St

Last Edited by on Dec 10, 2008 1:03 PM
SeeDavid
104 posts
Dec 10, 2008
5:48 PM
All Cassano folks: Wasn't the first "Vic Cassano-Mom Donisi's Pizza" in a side shopping place near the Shopper's Fair or Miracle Lane on Salem? I remember going there with my Dad to pick up our orders...red checked table cloths...giant ovens...saw them put the 'pebbles' under the crust on the pie pans. Am I right? ~c
corvettes6
14 posts
Dec 10, 2008
6:26 PM
I think the first vic and mom's was on Schantz across from Neils Rest. Opened about 1948 before the outlying shopping centers.
SeeDavid
105 posts
Dec 10, 2008
10:00 PM
Commercial to think of guys: HEY I WANT MY M A Y P O !!!!!! That cartoon kid in his high chair, and the Dad or Grandpa trying to make whatever he wanted...fast! I was told it was a maple flavored sort of cream of wheat...any thoughts on that? ~C

Thank you corvettes6

Last Edited by on Dec 13, 2008 8:38 PM
driver62
145 posts
Dec 11, 2008
7:42 AM
SeeDavid - Back in the early 1970's, there was a Vic and Moms pizza place on Salem just north of Philadelphia and Good Sam hospital. It was across the street from Miami Hardware. Both buildings are now gone.
Becky73
50 posts
Dec 11, 2008
3:25 PM
OK gang... here is a real Dayton history question. Whatever happened to Dayton's Union Station? My Father was a postal supervisor with the post office before it became the US Postal Service - well, after too. Anyway, when we had only one car we used to drive him every morning to the Union Station. It was in a not so nice section of town and only rarely did we go inside the train station itself. It was an Art Deco beauty in the section I remember. I remember an old style newspaper stand and marble floors and those old art deco ash trays on metal pillars. Is this building still in use? Are there actually passenger trains that stop in Dayton anymore? Would love to walk around inside if it is safe and still in use.
Curt Dalton
71 posts
Dec 11, 2008
8:30 PM
Union Station in Dayton must have been VERY beautiful. According to my research when it opened the citizens were so overjoyed they actually DANCED during its dedication in 1900. It was located at 6th and Ludlow Streets and included a clock tower, a portico along Ludlow Street, five station tracks and three station platforms. In 1931 the tracks were elevated over the streets. As time passed the building began to deteriorate while at the same time passenger trains declined. Most of the building and its clock were demolished during a renovation in 1964. In 1971 Amtrak took over the route and passengers were no longer served afer 1979. The depot ws vacated in 1986 and what little was left was demolished in 1989.
Becky73
51 posts
Dec 12, 2008
7:24 AM
Yes, I remember Throckmortons, but I think the reason I remember it is that I went to school with a girl with that name. I believe it was someone from her family that owned it. Hub Pharmacy rings a bell too. Not sure where that one was. Yes, certain smells can bring back powerful memories. Unfortunately, mine aren't too specific. The smell might take me back to a place in time, but no clue why it was meaningful.

Ahh, those push-up pops. I bought some for my daughters once and they just didn't taste the same. I am partial to the strawberry things with sprinkles on them. I find them every once in a while. I don't know of too many kids who didn't "appropiate" something every once in a while. The fact that you had some shame about it and was punished appropiately probably helped turn you into the good person you are. Whatever happened to good old-fashioned shame and regret?
Becky73
52 posts
Dec 12, 2008
7:29 AM
Union Depot - that is what my Father called it. We have a beautiful old train station here in Cincinnati that they perserved thank heavens. The natural history museum ( Museum Center ) and the historical society inhabit it now and it is a gem! They even preserved part of the old train station where you used to wait for the trains to come in. It is still in use, but in a limited way. My husband and I rode a historical train once and we traveled through it on our way somewhere.

Anyway, I am sorry they tore that place down. It was beautiful. I think my Mother and I boarded a train there once - I was very young so it was probably late 50's early 60's.
JohnC
49 posts
Dec 12, 2008
7:49 AM
Throckmortons was a chain of Hardware / Variety stores. They were all over the greater Dayton area. The Throckmorton Family that owned them was from either West Carrollton, or Miamisburg as I remember. Talk about a part of the past we all miss-the neighborhood hardware store with the guy who ALWAYS knew just what you needed to fix virtually anything.

Yeah, the budding criminals who were never caught and made to understand the error of their ways, usually grew up to shoplift on a higher level. You have to wonder if guys like Kenneth Lay at Enron got their start nicking candy at the local five and dime...
tlturbo
60 posts
Dec 12, 2008
7:51 AM
Throckmortons - I'm not real good with street names from back then, but there was a Throckmortons somewhere near the intersection of Kemp and Spinning Rd. I loved that HI-TECH place. They had one of every item wired to peg boards running down all the isles. There were bins along the top with IBM punch cards and you took one for the item you wanted. Then you took all the cards to the back where they ran them through a "computer" and someone on roller skates ran around the back of the store grabbing all the items and delivered them to you. Was your Throckmortons this way?
Bill68
3 posts
Dec 12, 2008
5:14 PM
Lots of kids met at Mayer's Jewelers record dept at the corner of 2nd and Main in 1965. Went to the Mezzanine at Rike's to hang out. There was a doughnut shop in the Arcade that had some drinks that came in an oddly shaped container. McCrory's had balloons with prices from 1 cent to 39 cents for banana splits. Kresge's had great ham salad sandwiches. Elder-Beerman's was more or less across from McCrory's on Main St and their building wrapped around another building so there was an entrance on Main St. and one on 3rd St. Used to get our clothes at Price Stores and we ate at The Simple Simon. The Psychedelic Grape Night Club. The Diamond Club on Stanley Ave. Maggie's on N. Dixie Dr. The Leisure Time Night Club near Huber Heights. The Cascades near Xenia. McCook's Bowling Alley and the Elder-Beerman's next door to McCook's.
maxed out
60 posts
Dec 13, 2008
3:46 AM
The smells of school.

The ink from the old mimeograph machine
Hot chocolate warming for us patrol boys
and in high school all us boys smelled the same, It was either "Brut" or "Old English" , sometimes "Canoe"
Kinda gross ,but remember when someone vomited it could be smelled all over the school.?
Marck1957
24 posts
Dec 13, 2008
4:51 AM
Maxed out...I had a kid that sat at the desk next to me in first grade that barfed about every day (or at least it seemed that way), directly on the floor next to me. Yes, I can still smell it in my mind, but I won't try to describe it here! The janitor would come up to the classroom and sprinkle sawdust on it and sweep it up. I went to E.J. Brown grade school, and in the hallways they had a vacuum system of sorts that you could clean the old felt chalk erasers at. You would kind of knock the erasers together in front of them and the vacuum would suck up the chalk dust. I seem to remember that task was an honor to perform. Someone picked out of the class for being good, getting good scores on a test, etc. would get the privilage of doing it! I can still smell that too. And, of course, Popcorn Day on Friday. It was 5 cents a bag.

Last Edited by on Dec 13, 2008 4:57 AM
tlturbo
61 posts
Dec 13, 2008
5:58 AM
OK, I have a remerbrance but I don't even know what to call it. I remember it being a big thing amongst us kids in the 50's so this is going back a little - hope that is OK.

The dime stores had many different colors of a thin, flat plastic material about 1/8" across. You would buy 2 colors that went together and would 'weave' neck whistle lanyards (mainly) in different patterns. Kind of like brading pig tails I guess. Depending on how you did it, you could make flat square sections then transition to a round shape then if you got real good, into a shape that would twist like a ribbon. Kind of like macrame in the 60's-70's. Anyone remember this stuff or what it was called?
Speaking about macramae - anyone else make plant hangers, etc out of it?
I also remember a summer day camp soaking reeds in water and weaving them into baskets.
Arts & Crafts - now THERE is a phrase out of the past. Can you imagine us getting young kids today to do this kind of stuff?
Keugene48
11 posts
Dec 13, 2008
7:07 AM
I don't know either what the plastic for making lanyards was called but I made some in Camp Fire girls camp. Yes I did macrame, a big owl thing that I worked on for a whole summer. Also girls would weave potholders on this metal frame with loops of fabric, then graduated to a knitting "machine" that made rounds you supposedly could make into a hat.
Steve K
40 posts
Dec 13, 2008
7:39 AM
tlturbo.... We braided a lot of that stuff in the boy scouts.... I'm thinking it was called "craft strip"? The old stuff had a cloth center, and wasn't real stretchy... the stuff they sell now glows in the dark and has no cloth center, so it distorts pretty bad. Little of what I made is still around, unless my mom has a piece somewhere. I remember braiding a whistle lanyard that had over 128 strands and was a big spiral maybe 2-3 inches in diameter. I haven't braided anything in maybe 15 years, but I suspect my fingers might still remember how to do it, even if my brain doesn't!
Becky73
53 posts
Dec 13, 2008
9:01 AM
Ahh, yes, lanyards. We made them in Girl Scouts back in the 60's at camp. They held our name tags and whistles. As a GS leader I busted out the old lanyard materials and had my troop braiding key chains. My oldest still has hers. Yes, I have seen the neon plastic stuff but I think if you search you can still find the other kind that is much more workable. And yes, I used to do macame ( sp?) I still have an unfinished project from high school art class in the basement. Got an A even though it wasn't done.

Yes, Cincinnati's Union Terminal was a shopping area in its first reincarnation John. That didn't last long but I was there during a Christmas shopping season and it was beautiful. Then it stood empty for a little while before the powers that be in Cincinnati finally made an actual decision and it became the beautiful museum center that it is now. I adore the mosaic "paintings" the wall. They took some down and decorated the airport but kept some where they belonged.
maxed out
61 posts
Dec 13, 2008
2:33 PM
As soon as I hit the post message this morning I knew I screwed up with the smelly stuff. I said Old English, I meant "English Leather ".
Yes Allen I tried the Hai Karate stuff.. It didn't work for me like the commercials. Isn't that false advertising ?
Marck.It was an honor to be allowed to knock the chalk erasers. I still cherish the days that I was chosen to do it.
SeeDavid
106 posts
Dec 13, 2008
3:16 PM
Becky,corvettes6, and anyone else who is interested re: Union Station. Have in our possession a red handbook of "Safety Rules" the "The Dayton Union Railway Co."..Effective Septemeber 15,1959 "Work on or above tracks, buildings, shops and bridges"...See,I have some facts as well as memories. ~c

Last Edited by on Dec 13, 2008 3:17 PM
Bill68
8 posts
Dec 13, 2008
3:36 PM
There was a Hardy's Shoe Store on Main St where you got the latest shoes, Beatle Boots, etc. for cheap. The shoes didn't last long, but as the styles changed so quickly it didn't matter. Lee Harvey Oswald was pointed by a manager of a Hardy's Store in Dallas. Their motto (possibly unofficial) was "the girls will love you with Hardy's on". That part of the block is a part of the park there now. There were 4 chain theatres in Dayton then, RKO State, Colonial, Keith, and one I can't remember. The Blue Note Record Shop on N. Dixie was owned by some Quinns.
tlturbo
62 posts
Dec 14, 2008
6:24 AM
Cologne - of course I had all of that. Brut, Canoe, Jade East, English Leather, Hai Karate (HAD to have that as I taught Karate in Centerville)and probably many others. AND I can still smell a girl across a large room if she is wearing Charlie (do any girls still wear Charlie?). YUM.

If you do a search on Lanyards or Boondoogles, you can still find books and materials for the plastic brading.

Curt - did you kill the chat room? I hope you got some decent ideas on your dilema.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.