Dayton Memories Blog > Murders, Suicides, Mayhem and Crimes.
Murders, Suicides, Mayhem and Crimes.
Login  |  Register
Page: 1 2 3 4

Curt Dalton
739 posts
Dec 09, 2013
5:07 PM
Thanks Doug, I'm glad you liked it.
Doug68
164 posts
Dec 12, 2013
4:56 PM
Re mayhem and murder, I had read that Bugs Moran, the leader of Chicago's north side gang (and rival of Al Capone) was later arrested by Dayton Police for robbing a bank. Additionally, John Dilliger robbed a bank in New Carlisle. Was wondering if anyone knows of any other famous crooks who left their fingerprints here in town at one time or another.

Also, Curt, I just finished your book WITH MALICE TOWARD ALL, that I purchased recently (along with THE TERRIBLE RESURRECTION) and enjoyed it every bit as much.

I was amazed that Dayton had a serial killer long before that phrase had been coined. But equally amazing was the doctor who asked to weigh the bodies - both before and after execution. His theory was that the body becomes lighter following the cessation of life and the time the "soul" exited the body. I had never heard of this theory before.
Curt Dalton
740 posts
Dec 12, 2013
8:24 PM
Thanks Doug, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. You are one of only about forty people who bought the book and I greatly appreciate your support.
copson
113 posts
Dec 14, 2013
3:27 PM
My Father investigated Harry Zavakas's murder. We lived in Riverdale, first on McPherson St and then on Floral Ave near Ed Smiths Florist, (late sixties and early seventies). My bro worked at the Varsity. We did not live in Riverdale at the time of Harry's murder.. My Father was also involved in the investigation of Harry's Father's murder.. He had only been on the force a short time.. Harry and my Father would talk of Harry's Father's homicide a lot.. There are some things known that I cant mention on both cases. They are both open cases.. Just to let people know, Harry was a nice guy a real down to earth person. He was a good friend of our family, and my Father respected him, because he respected us, and always treated my mother with respect. There were always special gifts for all of us on Christmas from Harry. He always made it a point to visit us at Christmas time and have dinner with us on many occasions.. I will never forget all the free bowling games he gave to me, so I could practice for the high school leagues.. I went to Kiser with his daughter's and they were good kid's, very friendly. at one point they were transferred to CW HIGH SCHOOL same as my bro.. NOTE:, When push come to shove, my mother could out drink Old Harry.. About the childrens homicides on Harding Ave in Northridge, The person accused of those murder's was a baby sitter that lived on Arthur ave, just up the street from where we lived. I will not mention her name because her family still lives in the area..

Last Edited by copson on Dec 14, 2013 4:14 PM
hunt69
478 posts
Dec 14, 2013
3:55 PM
The homocides in Northridge were on Arthur. The babysitter was released from custody. She died in '09 I believe.
copson
114 posts
Dec 14, 2013
4:21 PM
hunt69, You got it right....
Bill68
117 posts
Dec 15, 2013
1:44 PM
What date did the murders on Arthur Ave happen?
Doug68
165 posts
Dec 15, 2013
5:22 PM
copson.....at least one of the Zavakos relatives peruses this chat room and will be very happy about your kind remarks about Harry. She has put together a very extensive website about the Zavakos family and the photos alone are worth it.
Bonnie48
23 posts
Dec 15, 2013
5:39 PM
Bill68, I think the murders on Arthur Ave, happened at the end of 1972 or the beginning of 1973
MrBlu
2 posts
Dec 17, 2013
8:55 AM
Anyone recall the murder of Eddie Herring and his wife Sharon around 1972? He was a nightclub singer.
MrBlu
3 posts
Dec 17, 2013
9:00 AM
My grandfather, Walter E Newman, was a police officer in Dayton when John Dillinger robbed a bank. As a kid, he told me he rode on the running board of a police car as they joined in the chase.
rtb51
22 posts
Dec 19, 2013
3:32 PM
Does anybody remember the Ronnie Thompson kidnapping and how many years later they found him???

Last Edited by rtb51 on Dec 19, 2013 4:12 PM
taz66
1 post
Jan 09, 2014
12:29 AM
I am new to this site. I saw a picture of Pappy's Place on another blog. Does anyone know anything about Pappy's? Where it is and it's history? According to the blog, there was an incident there where someone doused and set someone afire. I am fairly certain I recognize the picture. I left Dayton at a young age in the 1950's and the place I remember was on S. Western Ave. Could this be the same place? Any information will be appreciated.

Last Edited by taz66 on Jan 09, 2014 12:31 AM
Billd1952
151 posts
Jan 09, 2014
7:20 AM
Pappy's is /was on East Fifth Street, just East of Torrence St., on the North side. I remember the incident you mentioned.
taz66
2 posts
Jan 09, 2014
5:00 PM
Billd1952, are you old enough or do you know someone old enough that would know about the history around that area in the 50's? What was the name of the original "Pappy", the neighborhood businesses, who lived in the area, etc.?
Billd1952
152 posts
Jan 09, 2014
6:20 PM
Lived in east Dayton since 1958. Went to Lincoln School until March of 64. Then went to Franklin School. I was on Safety Patrol, and my post was at E. Fifth and S. Torrence. I have no clue who owned Pappy's, however, Henger's Market was on the corner, then a carry-out, Pappy's and Winnie's confectionary
taz66
3 posts
Jan 09, 2014
10:34 PM
Thanks Billd1952. 1953 and 1954 was just a little before your time. I'll follow up on the two places you mentioned.
delirious1
30 posts
Feb 04, 2014
2:04 PM
While sleuthing recently I came across an horrific unsolved murder of a pregnant woman named Carla Davis. She was found on Stony Hollow Rd. She had been beaten and set on fire
I think it may have happened in 1991.
I had not heard of this unsolved murder before. Little has been written about it.
Does anyone remember this or know anything about the area?
LHelton
80 posts
Feb 04, 2014
10:37 PM
Dayton Daily News
Sept. 15, 2012
Guilt haunts families of missing persons

“I COULDN’T SAVE HER”
Cold cases bring frustration. Some murders go unsolved and killers slip through the cracks. Time passes and the families of the victims lose hope. They also feel guilty because they were not there to help and because there has been no justice for their loved one.
Carla Davis was six months pregnant when she was murdered 13 years ago. What her killer did to her, investigators said, was one of the most gruesome crimes they had ever seen. Carla’s murder also haunts her mother, Rosetta Byrd of Dayton.
“This time I couldn’t save her. I was not there to say goodbye,” said Byrd. “The only thing I can say is Carla, I’m so sorry I wasn’t there to help you. Sorry I wasn’t there when you took your last breath. I’m sorry I was not there to hold you in my arms. Sorry that I let you down.”
In the early morning hours of Aug. 11, 1991, somebody attacked and beat the 21-year-old woman and then set her body on fire.
Rosetta Byrd says she is still struggling because the killer is still free. She says she can’t move on because there has been no justice for Carla.
The Davis case was recently reopened by Detective Patricia Tackett of the Dayton Police Cold Case Unit.
“It breaks my heart when I see this. That’s why I do what I do,” Tackett said.
JJCofMAINE
64 posts
Feb 05, 2014
9:34 AM
I saw the name, "John Dillinger" in a reply, above, and that brought to mind a story I heard, many years ago, about the rectory at St. Albert's, Kettering. If I remember correctly, the building that was the rectory (and may still be) when I left Kettering, 1983, was at one time a farm house, located somewhere else in Kettering. The building was moved to its "St. Albert's" site sometime in the late 40's, I believe. The story I heard stated, if you remove the current siding, and get down to the original boards, you will see gun-shot holes caused by a shootout with holed-up gangsters, one of whom I believe was John Dillinger. Can anyone confirm or deny this story?
LS1957
7 posts
Feb 12, 2014
1:00 PM
Does anyone know what happened in 1974 when Karen Miller was killed? I don't recall hearing or reading anything about it after they found her. Did they find the person or people? We were classmates and casual friends. She was a very nice girl and it was really sad what happened to her.
LS1957
8 posts
Feb 12, 2014
10:19 PM
tlturbo, you're probably going to think I'm pretty stupid but I'm not having much luck finding what I'm looking for. I checked the subject search but nothing. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Got any more suggestions? I would appreciate it. Thanks.
tlturbo
574 posts
Feb 13, 2014
6:04 AM
Funny - I can't find it either on here. I know it was discussed at length and the person charged, prison time, what happened to him, etc.
I did a Google search for Karen Miller Beavercreek Murder and got lots of hits so give that a try.

I had a strong interest in this when it was first posted because I dated a girl that worked at the Lofino's Photomat and thought it might be her (can't remember her name and no one seems to remember her). But then I realized this murder was after I moved to FL in 72 and she would have been too young for me to have dated in the late 60's. She was a very cute twin and they lived near the Green Hills Swim Club in Beavercreek.
Sorry - Terry
LS1957
9 posts
Feb 13, 2014
9:37 AM
Ok, thanks. I'll give it a shot.
winterfritz
1 post
Feb 20, 2014
3:38 PM
Karen Miller was killed by Kenny B. while he was messed up on quaaludes. He raped her, then killed her to cover up the crime....last I heard he was in prison, that was a long time ago, he might be out???
winterfritz
3 posts
Feb 20, 2014
7:29 PM
Taz………regarding the incident at Pappy’s……..here’s what I can add………
I know the woman who was tending bar when the incident you described happened. The victim’s nickname was “Easy”. The perpetrator was hired by someone to kill somebody in Pappy’s and he got the wrong guy…..seems to me the perpetrator was either wanted in Florida or was from Florida…….
winterfritz
7 posts
Feb 21, 2014
9:13 PM
LHelton, that would be "Barker" not "Baker" but thanks for the update! Sad to say that I hope you searched for and found the right guy.
taz66
5 posts
Feb 23, 2014
10:36 PM
winterfritz... thanks for the information. Actually, I am interested in "Pappy's Place" rather than the incident that happened there. The picture of "Pappy's Place" appears to be the same Pappy's that was a few doors down from where I lived as a young child. If it is one and the same, I figured I may be able to find someone who was around in the '50s (60+) who may know some history to help jog my memory since I was so young when I left Dayton.
winterfritz
9 posts
Feb 24, 2014
4:57 AM
Well Taz, I know a couple of people that might know a thing or two. Unfortunately, I don’t see them very often; but the next time I contact them, I’ll ask about Pappy’s.
You might want to just go on down there and ask, I think it’s still open.. I wouldn’t go at night though.
LHelton
84 posts
Feb 24, 2014
7:29 PM
winterfritz, Just a typo. Yes, Kenneth Ray Barker. Here he is: http://www.drc.ohio.gov/OffenderSearch/details.aspx?id=A142693
taz66
8 posts
Feb 25, 2014
10:47 PM
winterfritz... I would love to visit the area but I live in Las Vegas. I haven't been back to Dayton since the 1950's.
KidPast50
11 posts
Mar 03, 2014
8:31 AM
Does anyone remember the football coach who was stabbed to death at Stebbins high school, I believe somewhere in the middle seventies? Seems like it was an ex player or something like that.
Billd1952
173 posts
Mar 03, 2014
8:44 AM
KidPast50, That happened at Wilbur Wright High School, in my freshamn year. Tom Prince was the coach who was stabbed to death the practice field. The guy who stabbed him was a former student who had dropped out, and was said to have had mental issues.
KidPast50
12 posts
Mar 03, 2014
8:50 AM
Billd1952 Sorry! Missed your earlier post about this. (Wilbur Wright stabbing) Thanks for the info.
stray
8 posts
Mar 09, 2014
11:54 PM
Bigmo: "Surprised no one has mentioned the hostage taking event at a bar on Patterson Rd just west of Woodman. A Ch 7 videographer, whose identity I will protect, was hidden across the street that evening. The gunman, Howard Schirmer, was drunk and took a hostage and could be seen inside the bar with the door standing open. He then brought the hostage outside surrounded by Kettering Police. He held the gun to the hostage's head for a long time yelling at the cops. The hostage used a judo move to flip the gunman and broke free. Schirmer stood back up and walked toward the police, raising his gun and you could hear the order to open fire. The police let him have it and he was killed. This was December 1981. It made the CBS Evening News."

delcodude: "I remember that. It happened outside Hank's on Patterson. The guy had the pistol taped to his hand if I recall correctly. After he was flipped and returned to his feet with gun in hand, the Kettering cops let him have it. There were a lot of shots fired, none by him that I remember."

These are older posts from Aug 2010, but I recall seeing this incident on Channel 7 shortly after it occurred.

I spoke with a friend of mine this evening who witnessed the shooting from across the street in the field next to Greenmont Village. He was an acquaintance of the gunman--Howard Schirmer--as he attended school and ran around with Schirmer's younger brother.

Apparently, Schrimer got into an altercation in the bar and got his butt kicked. He left, went to his home and retrieved a pistol (which he taped to his hand), and returned to the bar. He took a hostage walked outside.

Police and a news crew were on the scene. The video showed Schirmer holding the gun to the hostage's head as he shouted something at the police. The hostage then performed some sort of martial arts move and flipped Schirmer to the sidewalk. The hostage then ran out of frame as Schirmer lay on the ground shouting something like: "I still have my gun!" (because it was taped to his hand).

As he tried to rise, KPD hit him with a volley of pistol and shotgun fire.

My friend who witnessed the shooting believes that the bar was called "Duffers" at the time. It burned to the ground shortly thereafter and was rebuilt as "Duffers 2". It was later named "Hank's Pub" and is still in business on Patterson Rd. a block or so west of Woodman.

:)

-stray-
Susan63
2 posts
May 21, 2014
2:08 PM
Anyone remember the Dayton Daily News worker who murdered his wife and hid her body in a big drum there on the premises? He was from Belmont. His last name was Sink. I worked a temp job there not long after the murder,and the workers there gave me more details, which I have since forgotten.
RIVERDALE RAT
613 posts
Jun 20, 2014
3:15 PM
Does anyone remember Jerry Israel, who reportedly committed suicide at his bar on Shroyer road (Jerry’s Tavern) near the old Parkmoor (across the street) I never did find out the just of what happened. I know some people think it wasn't suicide, but you always have those types of rumors with something like this.

Last Edited by RIVERDALE RAT on Jun 20, 2014 3:16 PM
DRS
1 post
Jun 26, 2014
3:09 PM
I know this is late but does anyone have any further information about Marvallous Keene who was executed in 2009? I knew him way back and was saddened to recently hear about the Christmas Killings, awful for everyone involved and their families.
luv my dayton
637 posts
Jun 26, 2014
5:16 PM
Billd53 The area starting with winnies and down to corner if Fifth and Torrence are all gone and green grass and trees now there. The drug store across from them is now a laundromat.

Corner of fifth and findlay where Franklin school used to be is green grass and trees. Holy Family still there and according to the sign they still have services. Burkhart center is now a large daycare and across the st on Jersey is a carry out. Area run down and high crime with prostitution and drugs. There are some people who still are trying to keep their properties up. Its not like the neighborhood we remember from many years ago. The further up you go the nicer the area which is where I'm at on Huffman and haven't had any problems so far.

Last Edited by luv my dayton on Jun 26, 2014 5:20 PM
RIVERDALE RAT
637 posts
Jun 27, 2014
7:49 PM
This is a bit later in Dayton History than many of the crimes we have been discussing on here and a bit after my days (except for an occasional visit)But does anyone have any details or updates on the shooting death of the owner of the Old Hickory BBQ on E. Third Street? I ran across a brief discussion about this on another thread and supposedly she was shot multiple times, didn't know her attacker and the killer was never identified or caught. Supposedly this occurred in the mid 70s and is now a cold case. I was last there in 73-74 and the place was just as quiet and friendly as ever, hard to imagine a crime like this occurring there.

Still looking for anyone who may remember details/year of the suicide of Jerry Israel at his club on Shroyer road.
historybuff
185 posts
Jul 18, 2014
1:15 AM
For those who have enjoyed this thread, I thought I might mention Carillon Parks Murder Mystery Theater Performance being presented at the old courthouse in downtown Dayton. This is part of their annual "Old Case Files" series, recreating old murder cases in Dayton history. This year’s performance is “Ohio vs. Harry Crooks”. The cases are presented as they were at the time and the jury is selected from audience members. An excellent enactment as presented by Dayton History members and occasionally professional actors. The performances begin this week, July 18-20, July 25-27, and August 1-3. Friday and Saturday performances are at 7:30 PM and Sunday performances are at 3:00 PM. Tickets are $12 for Dayton History members and $15 for non-members. Reservations are recommended and can be made by calling Carillon Park. The performances are thoroughly enjoyable and a chance to see them enacted as they were in the Old Courthouse……..

Last Edited by historybuff on Jul 18, 2014 1:19 AM
joanofthe60s
12 posts
Jul 18, 2014
10:08 AM
historybuff, this is very interesting. I would definitely be there if I still lived in the area. I wonder which theatre troupe is playing it.
historybuff
188 posts
Jul 18, 2014
3:17 PM
Joan: The “Old Case” file performances are presented primarily by Dayton History staff members and volunteers with occasionally a professional actor. They do an excellent job for non-professional actors…….
Billd1952
224 posts
Jul 18, 2014
3:18 PM
Historybuff, my brotherinlaw has been in two previous plays at the old courthouse and will be in the upcoming play as well. He also volunteers at the Carillon,as well as speaking for different organizations. You probably know him, Jim Charters.
Hope he does'nt mind me posting his name in here.
historybuff
189 posts
Jul 18, 2014
3:25 PM
I know Jim quite well and he is an excellent actor. I don’t think he would mind and actually he’s the defendant, ”Harry Crooks”, in tonight’s case. I’m going tonight and looking forward to the performance…….
historybuff
190 posts
Jul 18, 2014
6:52 PM
Just got back from tonight’s Dayton History “Old Case Files” crime case performance. Superb performance and well worth attending for those who like courtroom dramas. Several more performances are scheduled at the Old Courthouse for the next two weeks…….
RIVERDALE RAT
691 posts
Jul 18, 2014
7:00 PM
This is beyond great, I totally love the idea. We need a lot more minds like this focusing on Dayton's culture and creating ways to rejuvenate the city. Many thanks to historybuff for sharing this with us and much love and respect to those who work so hard to make these productions possible.
joanofthe60s
24 posts
Jul 21, 2014
2:37 PM
historybuff, Thank you so much for the information and the updates. This is even more special if it isn't being done by a theatre troupe. I am so happy to see we still have dedicated people like this in Dayton, I am sure there are thousands more but you don't hear of things like this too often anymore. I am happy to know about this.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(4096 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.