GEORGE 0. WARRINGTON, [page 333] a prominent young member of the Dayton bar, was born at South Charleston, Clarke county, Ohio, March 3, 1855, and is a son of Francis Warrington. The Warrington family came originally from Manchester, England, near which city is a manufacturing town by the name of Warrington, about half way between Manchester and Liverpool, and it is possible at least that there is some connection between the name of the family of which Mr. Warrington is a member, and the town of the same name. Oswald Warrington was the first of the name to emigrate to the United States, coming to this country about 1819.
George 0. Warrington was reared in South Charleston, and there, in the public schools, received his preliminary educational training. After completing his studies there he entered the Ohio Wesleyan university at Delaware, Ohio, in 1872, and was graduated from that institution in 1876. During the first part of January, 1877, he located in Dayton and began reading law in the office of Warren Munger, now deceased, but then one of the leading lawyers of Dayton. He was admitted to the bar in 1879, remaining, however, with Mr. Munger until 1880, when he formed a partnership with Edwin P. Matthews, under the firm name of Warrington & Matthews. This firm continued in existence until 1885, when it was dissolved, and since then Mr. Warrington has practiced alone, with gratifying success.
Mr. Warrington is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married in August, 1879, to Miss Mary M. Work, of Lancaster, Ohio, and a daughter of John Work. To this marriage there have been born four children, only one of whom, a daughter named Louise, now survives.
Mr. Warrington is a lawyer of ability and safe judgment. His professional standing is of the highest, and his personal character beyond reproach. His colleagues at the bar regard Mr. Warrington with a large, degree of trust and confidence.
CHARLES WHEALEN, [pages 333-334] Ohio division manager, and manager of the Dayton mills, of the American Strawboard company, was born in Franklin county, Pa., September 17, 1844, a son of Bernard and Catherine Whealen, and was but twelve years of age when he came to Huffersville. Montgomery county, Ohio. Here, in the spring of 1857, he entered the service of Clark & Hawes, who established the first strawboard mill erected west of the Alleghany mountains, and, with the exception of nine months, Mr. Whalen has ever since been with this concern, the firm name having several times been changed. He began at a compensation of $2.50 per week, and worked his way upward until he became one-third owner, the business being then carried on under the title of the C. L. Hawes company, which was later merged into the American Strawboard company, of which organization he became a member in July, 1889.
Mr. Whealen is one of the most active and enterprising business men of the state of Ohio. He was one of the organizers of the Dayton Ice Manufacturing & Cold Storage company, of which he is president, and also of the Crystal Ice Manufacturing & Cold Storage company, of Columbus, of which he is vice-president and director. He assisted in organizing the Dayton Brewing company, and is its president; aided in the organization of the American Casket company, of Cincinnati, and is its president; is a stockholder in the Siebold Machine company, of Dayton; is president of and stockholder in the Heikes Hand Protective company, of Dayton, and a director in the Teutonia National bank, of the same city. Fraternally, he is a member of Montgomery lodge No. 5, I. 0. 0. F., of the B. & P. 0. E., and of the Social Aid society.
The marriage of Mr. Whealen was solemnized in Dayton, January 2, 1872, with Miss Lizzie Corson, daughter of James Corson. Their family consists of four daughters—Blanche, Glenn, Elizabeth and Rhoda. Mr. Whealen, as will have been seen, is the "architect of his own fortune;" he is public-spirited and liberal, and is one of the most substantial business men of the Gem City.
GRAFTON CLAGETT KENNEDY, [pages 334-337] a prominent attorney of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Harrison township, Montgomery county, on the farm where his grandfather, Joseph Kennedy, settled in 1807. The Kennedy family came originally from Scotland, and settled in South Carolina; from that state they removed to Pennsylvania, and it was from near Shippensburg, Cumberland county, that state, that Joseph Kennedy, the grandfather of Grafton C., came to Ohio, settling on a farm of 300 acres, four miles north of Dayton, which he had purchased from a cousin, the original owner of the land. There Joseph Kennedy remained the rest of his life, dying about 1854, at the age of eighty years. His wife was Nancy Kerr, who, like himself, was of Scotch descent, and who died in 1861. To them there were born three sons and one daughter, the daughter dying about 1855. The eldest son, Gilbert Kennedy, was a very prominent lawyer of Dayton and. Cincinnati, and died sometime during the 'eighties. The surviving sons are John and Joseph, both farmers, the latter being the father of Grafton C.
Joseph Kennedy was instrumental in raising a company for the One Hundred and Thirty-second regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, and drilled his company for some time on the fair grounds. The understanding was that the one reporting to camp the largest number of enlisted men, should receive the colonelcy of the regiment. Mr. Kennedy reported the largest number of men present, and was thus, as he thought, entitled to the commission; but another reported a larger number of men enrolled for his company, though not all enrolled were present in person, and this man received the commission. The failure of Mr. Kennedy to become commander of the regiment was a great disappointment to him as well as to the men he had raised for his company, but notwithstanding this he was willing to serve in any other capacity and to go to the front with the regiment; but the governor of the state, becoming aware of the true state of the case, thought it best that he be given an honorable discharge, and be permitted to return home, and this was done.
Joseph Kennedy married Catharine Clagett, a native of Maryland, whose father, Grafton A. Clagett, was also a native of that state. Her death occurred in 1866, she leaving three children as follows: Grafton Clagett, Gilbert, now deceased, and Caroline, now Mrs. Edward Martin, of Milwaukee.
Grafton Clagett Kennedy was born March II, 1859, and received his early education in the common schools, which he attended during their regular sessions and occupied himself during vacations with work upon the farm. When he reached his thirteenth year he entered the public schools of Dayton, and studied in them two years. In his fifteenth year he entered the preparatory department of Wittenberg college, in which institution he spent five years, and where he was graduated in June, 1879, with the degree of bachelor of arts. From this college he subsequently received the honorary degree of master of arts. In September, 1879, he entered as a student the law office of Conover & Conover. Here he remained one year, and then read law two years in the office of Warren Munger, now deceased. In May, 1882, he was admitted to the bar, and in February, 1883, he opened an office and began the practice of his profession. In March, 1883, he was appointed United States commissioner at Dayton for the southern district of Ohio, and held this position until October, 1894, when he resigned.
Mr. Kennedy practiced law alone until May, 1888, when a partnership was formed between himself and Warren Munger, his former preceptor, under the firm name of Munger & Kennedy. On January 1, 1893, the firm became Munger, Kennedy & Munger, Harry L. Munger, son of Warren Munger, being admitted to the firm. This partnership continued until about June I, 1894, when Warren Munger died, and since that time the firm has been Kennedy & Munger. Mr. Kennedy is an elder in the Third street Presbyterian church. He was married April 30, 1889, to Miss Louise Achey, a daughter of the late John J. Achey. To this marriage there have been born one daughter and one son, viz: Catherine Louise, and Grafton Sherwood. Mr. Kennedy has not yet reached the prime of his manhood and his strength, and while his success in the difficult profession of the law has been most satisfactory to himself and gratifying to his friends, it is probable that even greater success awaits him in the future.
EDWARD B. WESTON, [337-338] president of the Weston Paper Manufacturing company of Dayton, Ohio, and secretary and treasurer of the Weston Paper company, of the same city, was born in Bloomington, 111., October 6, 1863. His father, John G. Weston, was born at Calais, Washington, county, Me., and was a son of Irish parents. Removing to Dayton, Ohio, in the early 'sixties, he was here married to Miss Louise M. Aull, a native of Dayton, and a daughter of Nicholas and Julia A. G. Aull, pioneer citizens of Dayton. From this city John G. Weston and his wife removed to Bloomington, Ill., not many months before Edward B. was born. Mr. Weston was a printer by trade, and while in Dayton was connected with the city's newspapers. He is well remembered by the local profession. Following the newspaper business in Bloomington until the close of the war of the Rebellion, he then returned to Dayton and died there in 1867, his widow still residing in Dayton.
Edward B. Weston received his education in the public schools of Dayton, attending the Sixth district school and afterward the intermediate school. When he was eleven years of age he went to work in the notion house of Ewald & Wiggim, and remained in the employ of the successor of this firm, T. C. Wiggim. His employer becoming insolvent, Mr. Weston then went to work for the Augustus Sharp dry-goods store, with which he remained about six months, when he left to go with T. C. Wiggim to Emporia, Kan., where Mr. Wiggim was the manager for E. C. Nichols. With this firm Mr. Weston remained about two years, a part of the time in Emporia, a part of the time in Wichita, and at the end of this period the concern was closed out. For a year or so he remained in the west, in Kansas, in Texas, and in the territories, still in the employ of Mr. Wiggim, who was conducting a general merchandise business at various points.
Returning to Dayton in 1876, Mr. Weston entered the employ of R. A. Rogers & Co., proprietors of a paper store, and while there began to learn the business. After remaining with Mr. Rogers for about eight months, he went to Hoglen Bros., in the hard wood lumber, saw-mill and timber business, to take charge of their wood department and teams, and remained with them two years. At the end of this time he retired from their employ and went on a farm for one season, and during the same fall followed a threshing machine. Returning to Dayton he entered the employ of the John W. Stoddard Manufacturing company, and remained there for about two years. Then, going on the road as salesman of specialities and general paper lines for R. A. Rogers & Co., he continued thus engaged until 1882, when he became connected with Aull Bros., paper dealers, and remained on the road for them until May, 1887. At this time Mr. Weston entered upon the wholesale paper business at No. 136 East Second street, under the firm name of E. B. Weston & Co., the company being nominal, and here he carried on business until 1889, when he removed to No. 104 North Main street and continued there in the wholesale paper business and in the manufacture of patented paper specialities.
In 1893 Mr. Weston organized the Weston Paper company, and erected a straw wrapping paper mill at Greenfield, Ind., in the Indiana gas belt. In 1894 he secured the incorporation of the Weston Paper & Manufacturing company, taking in a number of his old employees as members of the company, and these two companies are still in active operation and conducting a successful business.
Mr. Weston was married in 1886 to Blanche Phillips, daughter of Theodore A. Phillips, of Dayton. Two daughters have been born to this marriage, Irma Delight and Marguerite Louise. Mr. Weston is a member of Hope lodge, Knights of Pythias, and also major of the uniform rank, in the same order. He is also a member of the Order of Elks No. 58, of the Dayton club, and of the Dayton Bicycle club. Mr. Weston served five years in the old Harris Guards, of Dayton, as a member of company A. In religion he is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church.
As a republican Mr. Weston has been and is quite active in politics, but he has never held nor sought office. A successful business man of irreproachable character, he enjoys the confidence and esteem of all.
EDWARD E. EUCHENHOFER, [338-340] a member of the firm of Weinman & Euchenhofer, machinists, at 20 and 22 North Canal street, was born in Dayton October 3, 1852, and is a son of Frederick H. and Caroline (Disher) Euchenhofer.
In 1888, E. E. Euchenhofer, in partnership with C. J. Weinman, founded the Novelty Machine works, on St. Clair street, Dayton, and under that name the business was conducted seven years, when it was incorporated under the name of the Dayton Gas & Gasoline Engine company, but a year later was changed to the Dayton Gas Engine & Manufacturing company, the concern being converted into a joint stock company, with a capital of $40,000, and officered with E. E. Euchenhofer as president. The present firm of Weinman & Euchenhofer was formed in May, 1896.
Frederick H. Euchenhofer, father of Edward E., was born in Switzerland about the year 1812, and at the age of twenty years came to America; for a few years he lived in one of the eastern states, and in 1836 came to Ohio, established a bakery and confectionery in Miamisburg, Montgomery county, carried on a successful trade until 1848, and then settled in Dayton. Here he purchased the old Columbus house, and carried on a hotel until 1863, at the same time operating the Third street brewery, which he sold in 1867; for the next five years he operated the old Tate mill, and then re-purchased the Third street brewery, which he operated until within a few months of his death. He was a thorough business man, and always ready to lend his. aid to enterprises that might benefit not himself only, but his fellow citizens. He was one of the charter members of, and a director in, the Teutonia Insurance company of Dayton, which is one of the most successful, yet conservative, financial institutions of the city, having been brought to its present strength through the sound judgment and business sagacity of Mr. Euchenhofer and his associates.
Fraternally, Frederick H. Euchenhofer was an Odd Fellow and a member of the Harugari; in religion he was a Lutheran, and in politics he was a republican. He had been twice married, and to his first union was born one child—Albert—who died in February, 1892. His second marriage took place in Dayton with Miss Caroline Disher, who was born in Germany, but was only three years of age when brought to Fort Jennings, Putnam county, Ohio, by her parents. To this union were born ten children, in the following order: Rudolph, deceased: Edward E, whose name opens this memoir; Sabina, deceased; Otto, a brewer, of Dayton; Julia, wife of Russell Bates, also of Dayton; Katie, married to Henry Godle, of Peoria, Ill.; Ida, Hugo and Frederick, all three deceased, and Alexander. The mother of the family still survives, but the father died in Dayton February 7, 1892, at the advanced age of eighty years, honored by all with whom he had come in contact, whether in business or in fraternal and social relations.
Edward E. Euchenhofer was educated in the public schools of Dayton until fourteen years of age, when he entered the employ of Mr. Mueller, first as errand boy, and afterward as clerk, until seventeen years old, when he began an apprenticeship with Brownell & Kielmeier, manufacturers of engines. With this firm he remained five years, acquiring a full knowledge of machinery and becoming an expert in the manufacture and construction of steam engines in every detail. His next step was to enter into business on his own account, but at the end of two years he abandoned this to engage in the dry goods and notion trade. After a year thus spent, he returned to his former employers, for whom he did faithful service for several years; was next appointed assistant engineer of the city water-works, and nine months later was appointed chief engineer, holding this responsible position for five years. While serving in this capacity, Mr. Euchenhofer invented and patented an automatic device for boilers, for feeding boiler scale solvents, and this patent has, by reason of its acknowledged efficiency, met an extensive sale throughout the country. His next step in business was the formation of a partnership with Mr. Weinman in the enterprises above mentioned. Messrs. Euchenhofer & Weinman are the inventors and patentees of many valuable devices in connection with engines and machinery. In politics Mr. Euchenhofer is a republican, and in societary relations he is a member of the Order of Chosen Friends. His marriage took place November 9, 1877, to Miss Dora Makley, daughter of Frank Makley, and to them have been born five children, Adolph, Carl, Walter, Clara and Edna. The parents and children are all members of the Lutheran church.
J. RUSSELL JOHNSTON, [page 340] representative merchant of Dayton, Ohio, and member of the large dry-goods house of Elder & Johnston, was born in the year 1854, in the town of Ayton, Berwickshire, Scotland. He began an apprenticeship at the dry-goods business as a clerk in a local store. He served as an apprentice for a term of five years, and continued for eighteen months afterward in the same establishment. He then came to the United States and entered the dry-goods store of Brown, Thompson & Co., of Hartford, Conn., where he continued for ten years. In 1883, Mr. Johnston came to Dayton, and in March of that year the present dry-goods establishment of Elder & Johnston was founded. Their first location was at Nos. 114 and 116 East Third street, where they opened with a comparatively small stock, the firm's capital being limited. Two and a half years later the business had grown to such an extent that larger quarters were necessary, and the firm removed to Nos. 24 and 26 East Third street, where they conducted both a wholesale and retail business, employing eighty people in the establishment. The firm continued at the above stand until November, 1896, when they removed to the new Reibold building, on South Main street, where they occupy two floors and the basement with probably the largest stock of dry goods in the city. The intention of the firm is ultimately to develop their business into a department store, by which event it will be the first of the kind in Dayton. Mr. Johnston's success in life has been remarkable. He began his life work as a boy of fourteen years of age, as an apprentice, and now, as a man of only forty-two years, he has reached a position as equal partner in one of the largest and most successful dry-goods establishments in western Ohio. This he has accomplished solely by his own efforts, having made his way in life unaided, relying entirely upon his industry and business ability. His life has been a most active one, and his labors in every capacity from that of apprentice to that of proprietor have met with deserved success. As an apprentice he was industrious, ambitious to learn and faithful to his employer's interests; as a salesman he was thorough, painstaking and conscientious, striving always to promote the welfare of his employers and at the same time to advance his own. Since coming to Dayton and entering a mercantile career upon his own responsibility, Mr. Johnston has given all his time and attention to the upbuilding of his business, and the success that he has achieved is the natural result of energy, enterprise and splendid qualifications. Mr. Johnston is regarded as one of the representative and progressive citizens of Dayton. His usefulness as a citizen has not been hampered by his devotion to business cares, and he has always stood ready to lend his aid and influence to all movements having for their object the growth, development and advancement of his adopted city.
He is a Mason of high degree, being past master of Mystic lodge No. 405 ; belongs to Unity chapter ; is past eminent commander of Reed commandery, Knights Templar, and has attained the thirty-second degree in Scottish rite masonry.
Mr. Johnston was married in 1877, in Hartford, Conn., to Miss Lizzie C. Purvis, and they are the parents of the following children: Edith, Mae and Russell Purvis.
WILLIAM G. ZWICK, [page 343] assistant secretary of the Zwick & Greenwald Wheel company, is a native of Dayton, Ohio, was born May 20, 1863, and is a son of Ernst and Sophie (Wilke) Zwick, the former of whom was the founder of the above named company. The Zwick & Greenwald Wheel company, at the corner of Huffman and Linden avenues, Dayton, Ohio, was established, in 1859, by Ernst Zwick (now deceased), at the corner of Wayne and Third streets, where it transacted business until 1890, when it was removed to its present location— the name the company now bears having been assumed in October, 1881. In 1892, a joint stock company was formed for the conduct of the business, although the company did not change its title, and the officers elected at that time were the following: Harman Rogge, president; Henry Zwick, secretary; Frederick Rogge, treasurer—the stockholders being Henry Zwick, Jacob Greenwald, Harman Rogge, F. Kammen, Samuel Zwick, Joseph Zwick and Fred Rogge. No change has since taken place among these stockholders, excepting that occasioned by the death of Jacob Greenwald.
The Zwick & Greenwald Wheel company plant covers three acres of ground and employs from 140 to 150 people, the president of the company, Harman Rogge, being also the manager. The business has grown from the manufacture of ten sets of wheels per day to that of 150 sets per day. The wheels are known as the best made in the United States, and are sold all over the Union, as well as in other countries.
The elementary education of William G. Zwick was acquired in the public schools of his native city, and this was supplemented by an attendance at the Baptist college, of Rochester, N. Y., and at the Miami Commercial college, of Dayton, Ohio. He first entered the wheel factory as an apprentice, thoroughly learned the trade and became familiar with the workings of the immense concern in all its details, became a stockholder in the company in 1888, and eventually reached his present responsible position, which he has since filled with marked ability.
July 18, 1888, Mr. Zwick was united in marriage with Miss Louise A. Bartel, the accomplished daughter of Herman Bartel, of Dayton, and this union has been followed by the birth of three children: Weaker William, born May 15, 1889; Helen Louisa, June 3,1892, and Lawrence, October 6, 1893. The parents are faithful members of the German Baptist church of Dayton, of which Mr. Zwick is a trustee and assistant clerk.
MAJ. ALVAN STUART GALBRAITH, [pages 343-345] commissary of subsistence of the central branch of the National Military Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (a brief sketch of which institution will be found in the biography of Col. J. B. Thomas), was born near Salem, Columbiana county, Ohio, November 15, 1840, and there grew to manhood.
Soon after the outbreak of the late Civil war, Mr. Galbraith volunteered in a battalion of cavalry, known as Fremont's body guard, and served from July, 1861, until December of the same year. His experience, although short, served to increase his patriotic ardor, and thereafter he became a vigorous, valiant and efficient soldier in the defense of his country's flag, and was eventually promoted from private to brevet major for meritorious conduct in the face of the enemy, and for valuable services rendered in other capacities, brief mention of which is here given: In April, 1862, he enlisted in the Eighty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, was elected first sergeant of company G, and saw service in Maryland and Virginia, and with the regiment was mustered out of the service in September, 1862; his next enlistment was in company G, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, entering the company as first sergeant, which rank was granted him as a recognition of his past services as a soldier; with this non-commissioned, but honorable title, he served until March, 1863, when his commendable conduct as a soldier was rewarded by a commission as first lieutenant of company I, of the same regiment. While holding this rank Lieut. Galbraith was detailed as a provost-marshal of his brigade and was also appointed assistant inspector-general on the staffs of Gen. William B. Hazen and Gen. P. Sidney Post. In August, 1864, he was promoted to the captaincy of company I, and his higher rank was reached in the regular army of the United States, of which mention will be made in a following paragraph.
While in the volunteer service Capt. Galbraith took an active part as sergeant, lieutenant and captain, in many severe and sanguinary battles of the Civil war, among which may be named, outside of his service in Missouri, those of Spring Hill and Triune, Term.; Chickamauga, Ga.; Brown's Ferry, Tenn., where he was severely wounded and in consequence was confined in hospital several months.
He went through the Atlanta campaign and was under fire at Jonesboro and Lovejoy; was at the fall of Atlanta, and in the battles at Franklin and Nashville, Tenn. He also served in the campaigns through Kentucky, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and in other states, until mustered out with his regiment at Cleveland, Ohio, July 19, 1865. He then returned to his home in Columbiana county, Ohio, and on May 11, 1866, was appointed second lieutenant in the Eighteenth United States (regular) infantry; in 1867 he was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant, and in 1868 to that of captain and major by brevet— these rapid promotions being awarded him chiefly for his gallant and meritorious conduct at the battles of Chickamauga and Brown's Ferry, while in the volunteer service.
While in the regular army the work entrusted to Maj. Galbraith was arduous, varied, and comprehensive. He was at different periods of his service placed on duty at Newport (Ky.) barracks; at Governor's, Bedloe's and David's islands, New York harbor; at Fort McHenry, Baltimore, Md.; at Washington, D. C.; at Fort Casper and Fort Fetterman, then in Dakota territory, but now within the boundaries of Wyoming; at North Platte station, Neb.; at Fort Sedgwick, Colo.; Fort Omaha, Neb.; and at Huntsville, Ala.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; Lancaster, Ky., and Atlanta, Ga., during the reconstruction period. Also, while still first lieutenant, with brevet major rank in the regular army, he acted as Indian agent for the United States government, in charge of the interests of the Confederated Flathead nation in Montana.
December 18, 1873, Maj. Galbraith resigned his position in the regular army, rejoined his mother in Cincinnati, Ohio, and for three years enjoyed a rest, in the meanwhile recuperating his shattered health. In the early part of 1882, he was appointed postmaster at the National Military home, near Dayton, in which capacity he served until 1892, when he resigned in order to accept his present position, wherein he has charge of the entire subsistence department of the home.
Nathan and Sarah (Hoover) Galbraith, parents of the major, had a family of three children, of whom Marius Robinson is a resident of Cincinnati, and Celia, unmarried, is a resident of Johnstown, Pa.
Nathan Galbraith, a native of Ohio, died at the early age of thirty years, while his widow, a native of Pennsylvania, lived to be seventy-four years old. . In religion they were respectively members of the Quaker and Baptist churches.
The marriage of Maj. Galbraith took place in 1884, to Mrs. Myra (Fonda)Taylor, a native of Brooklyn, N. Y., this union resulting in the birth of one child, Stuart, who died in infancy. Mrs. Galbraith is a member of the Society of the Daughters of the Revolution, by right of lineal descent from Asa Priest, her maternal great-grandfather, who was a soldier from Massachusetts, and took an active part in the glorious struggle. Maj. Galbraith is a member of Perry lodge, No. 185, F'. & A. M., as well as of the Loyal Legion and the G. A. R. In politics he has been a life-long abolitionist and republican.
LEWIS HENRY WEBBER, [pages 345-346] a well-known cut-stone contractor of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Salem, N. J., December 15, 1845, and is a son of Thomas and Louisa (Green) Webber, also natives of Salem.
The Webber family, of English origin, was established in New Jersey over 200 years ago, but its genealogy cannot be fully traced. Suffice it to say that John Webber, great-grandfather of Lewis, was a sailor, hailing from the Sharp Backs state, and was killed by lightning. John's son, Henry, served as a musician through the war of 1812, and died at the age of eighty-six years. Thomas, the son of Henry, and father of Lewis, was a contractor in early life, but later engaged in merchandizing, and in this occupation died in Christiana, New Castle county, Del., in 1876, at the age of fifty-five years.
The Green family, equally as old in America as the Webber family, and also of English origin, belonged to the religious organization known as Quakers. Great-grandfather Green was a farmer, and resided in the vicinity of Salem, N. J., during the Revolutionary war. As is well known, the Society of Friends (Quakers) are people of peace, whose tenets forbid the bearing of arms in war or the aiding or abetting of war. Nevertheless, feeling that the struggle of the colonists was patriotic and just, his sympathies were all with their cause, and the following incident is related of him, touching his latent but ardent patriotism. On a certain occasion, when the Continental army was in great distress for want of corn, with which his cribs were well filled, he was importuned by the officers to sell an evident surplus of the grain on hand. He declined to do so, because, as he said, "That would be encouraging war; but I shall go away from home, and if the corn be missing when I return, I shall not inquire concerning it." History records that the corn was missing.
Of the five sons born to Thomas and Louisa Webber, Lewis H. is the eldest, and Albert, his next younger brother, is foreman in his extensive works; Arthur G. and Henry L. are in the grain and coal trade at Christiana, Del, and John died at the age of eight years.
The early life of Lewis H. Webber was spent in the states of New Jersey and Delaware, his education being acquired in the Newark (Del.) academy and Delaware college. In 1869 he came to Dayton and entered into the employ of the Webber & Lehman Stone & Marble company, of which company John Webber, his uncle, was president. Of this company Lewis H. was at first bookkeeper, and was then made assistant secretary. After three years well spent in this concern, Mr. Webber united in partnership with S. T. Bryce and with him continued in business for five years, when Mr. Webber bought out his partner's interest and has since carried on a most successful business on his own account, in contracting for the construction of stone buildings and for the stone work of others not composed entirely of stone. His plant, which is planned for the reduction of all kinds of quarried stone to a condition for practical use in building foundations and walls as well, and for the smoothing and polishing of rough ashlars, is most complete in its appliances, containing machinery which is alone estimated at a value of $40,000, including stone saws, planers, and all other means necessary for the production of solid exterior as well as decorative exterior and interior work, and giving employment, on an average, to 100 men. One of the first structures that attracted attention as the work of Mr. Webber was the Montgomery county court house, the stone work of which was supplied, as one of his earliest contracts, from his own shops, at a cost of $50,000, in 1878. Since that date Mr. Webber has furnished the material and assisted in the construction of nearly all the substantial stone buildings in the city of Dayton, among which may be cited the costly Burney and King residences, the U. P. and Sacred Heart churches, and the Steele high school building.
The marriage of Mr. Webber took place in Christiana, Del., in 1875, to Miss Florence Southgate, a native of Baltimore, Md., and of English descent. This union has been blessed by the birth of three children—Emma E., Florence L., and Willard—the first two of whom are now attending the Steele high school. The family are connected with the Third street Presbyterian church. In politics Mr. Webber is a stanch republican, although he has never sought public office. He is a Freemason, and is also a member of the Dayton club, a social organization, and of the political body known as the Garfield club. Mr. Webber's energy, skill and industry have earned him a place in the front rank of the successful business men of Dayton.
THOMAS ELDER, [pages 346-349] a leading merchant of Dayton, Ohio, and senior member and founder of the extensive dry-goods house of Elder & Johnston, was born in Harrisburg, Pa., in the year 1845. His parents were Robert R. and Elizabeth G. Elder, both of whom were of Scotch descent. The boyhood of young Elder was spent in a manner common to boys of his station in life. He attended the public schools of Harrisburg, securing a good English education. At the age of seventeen years he resolved to leave his native place and try his fortune in the broader field of a large city. Accordingly, in 1862, he set out for Philadelphia, which city he reached with but few possessions and little money, but with sound health, good habits, ambition and a determination to get on in the world. He was willing to turn his attention to anything he could do and soon found employment. He remained in Philadelphia eight or nine years, engaged in different capacities in various lines of business, and in 1872 he went to Boston, Mass. In Boston he secured a position with the blanket house of Thomas Kelley & Co., as a traveling salesman. After remaining with the above firm three years, in 1875 he entered the service of Jordan, Marsh & Co., of Boston, one of the largest dry-goods houses in the world, as general traveling salesman, where he remained until 1883. At this time he decided to embark in business on his own responsibility, and the same year he came to Dayton and, associating himself with Messrs. Johnston & Hunter, founded the present business of Elder & Johnston, which is now the leading dry-goods establishment in Dayton and one of the largest in western Ohio. Mr. Hunter retired from the firm in 1886. The business was begun originally upon a very modest basis and with a limited capital, at Nos. 114 and 116 East Third street. In about two and a half years, however, it had grown to such proportions that larger quarters were necessary, and they removed to Nos. 24 and 26 East Third street, where the business was established on a much larger scale. From year to year it grew and spread, and a wholesale department was added, together with other features, until again it became necessary to find more commodious quarters, and in November, 1896, they removed to the new Reibold building on South Main street, where they now occupy two floors and the basement. They carry a complete stock of dry goods, cloaks, etc., doing both a wholesale and retail business, and employing over 100 people. Their store rooms are the largest and handsomest in the city, and their trade, while already the leading one, is constantly increasing. It is the firm's intention eventually to convert their business into a modern department store, there being no enterprise of that character in Dayton.
In 1872 Mr. Elder was married to Miss Tacie E. Jarrett, who was born in Philadelphia, of Quaker parents. To Mr. and Mrs. Elder the following children have been born: Mary M., Robert, Elsie, Helen, and two deceased in infancy. Mr. Elder is a member of the Third street Presbyterian church and president of the Y. M. C. A. In the Sabbath-school he has also been an earnest worker, taking great interest in all of its useful activities.
Mr. Elder's life has been a busy one, and success has come to him through his own efforts. Pie may well be termed a self-made man, as he began at the bottom, starting in life with no capital save that of energy, industry and ambition, and relying entirely upon his own ability and natural resources. Still a man in his prime, he has risen from an humble clerical position to that of senior member of one of the largest mercantile houses in a great state, and his prosperity has been well deserved. His position in the business world has not overshadowed his position in life as a citizen, friend and neighbor. He has always been found ready to lend his aid and influence to all worthy movements designed to benefit the community at large. He is regarded as a broad-minded and public-spirited citizen, recognizing and discharging faithfully all the duties incumbent upon him.
PROF. CLAUDE MICHELON, [page 349] instructor in the French, Italian and Spanish languages, with his residence at the corner of Third and Perry streets, Dayton, was born in Chambery, near Lyons, France, December 8, 1869. He was a student in the college Louis le Grand, at Paris, and at the Lyceum of Lyons, where he was educated in literature and philosophy. On October 1, 1894, he came to America; on the 12th day of the same month he was dispatched by Prof. Berlitz, of New York, to Cincinnati, Ohio, to become an instructor in a French school, and on June 12, 1895, he came to Dayton and opened his present polyglot school of instruction, in which he has met. with success. His classes comprise about 180 pupils, drawn from the most cultured and intellectual circles of the city, and these pupils are taught in so simple a manner that, at the conclusion of forty lessons, they are prepared to conduct a reasonably intelligent conversation in the special language acquired. Beside his home class, he teaches in the Y. M. C. A. school, also in Miss Thomas's academy for young ladies, and has a large class at the Soldiers' home.
Prof. Michelon has, in his comparatively brief residence in Dayton, awakened a new interest in language study, and is now recognized as the most skillful and accomplished teacher of French that has ever conducted classes in this city.
MICHAEL WALTER, [pages 350] funeral director and a leading business man of Dayton, is a native of Germany, born December 17, 1840, in the kingdom of Bavaria. His parents, Martin and Barbara (Schnabel) Walter, were both natives of the above country, where the father, for many years, carried on the cabinetmaking business, and where his death occurred in 1856, at the age of sixty-three; the mother having died in 1855, at the age of fifty-six years. Their son, Michael, is the youngest of ten children. Three sisters and one brother died in America, and one brother and two sisters still live in Germany; the only member of the family in the United States, with the exception of Michael, is Henry, who makes his home at Celina, Ohio.
Michael Walter was educated in the schools of his native country and there learned cabinetmaking, which he followed, in connection with the undertaking business, until 1863, at which time, he came to the United States, locating at Dayton, Ohio, where for a period of seven years he was in the employ of his brother Martin, one of the leading undertakers of the city. In 1870, Mr. Walter embarked in the undertaking business upon his own responsibility on Franklin street and has since continued the same with most gratifying success, being at this time the head of one of the largest establishments of the kind in the city. From a rather limited beginning he has gone forward year by year, building up a constantly increasing trade, and, at this time, he enjoys much more than a local reputation in business circles. He has spared no reasonable effort to make himself thoroughly familiar with every detail of his trade and in 1883 graduated from the Cincinnati school of embalming, one of the largest and most thorough institutions of the kind in the United States. Mr. Walter's place of business on Franklin street is fully equiped and supplied with all that pertains to the successful prosecution of undertaking and the necessary equipment and stock of caskets, etc., represent a capital of about $10,000. Mr. Walter is a member of an undertaking association of Ohio, of which he has served as treasurer during the past ten years. He is a man well known in the community where he has lived so long and sustains a reputation for integrity and honesty surpassed by none. Personally Mr. Walter is very popular, a genial companion and a good citizen.
In 1868 Mr. Walter was united in marriage with Miss Philomena Steile, a native of Cincinnati, but born of German parentage; three sons and three daughters have been born of this union—Joseph C., who is employed in his father's business house; Clara, Leo, Flora, Amelia and Edward. The family are members of the Emanuel Roman Catholic church, of Dayton, and Mr. Walter affiliates with the following societies: Catholic Knights of America; Catholic Knights of Ohio; Knights of St. George; St. Charles Benevolent society; Gesellen society; St. Joseph's Orphan society; the Bavarian society and the Cincinnati Life association. Politically Mr. Walter is a democrat.
RABBI MAX WERTHEIMER, Ph.D., [pages 350-351] pastor of B'nai Yeshurun temple, Dayton, Ohio, is a native of Buffalo, N.Y., and was born December 6, 1864. He was primarily educated in the public schools of the city of his birth, and later studied for eight years in the Cincinnati university, from which institution he graduated June 14, 1887, with the degree of bachelor of letters, and two years later he was graduated from the Hebrew Union college, of the same city, which conferred upon him the title of rabbi. In March, 1889, he was unanimously elected by the congregation or synagogue of B'nai Yeshurun to his present eminent position, and September 6, 1889, he delivered his inaugural sermon or lecture, which was recognized as the result of deep thought and ripe scholarship, and of great power and beauty of expression.
Since assuming his pastorate, Rabbi Wertheimer has taken a post-graduate course at Martyn college of philosophy, from which he was graduated in June, 1895, with the advanced degree of Ph. D. The doctor has also traveled quite extensively since first locating in Dayton, lecturing before many learned societies, as well as to popular gatherings, in many cities of the west.
The marriage of Rev. Dr. Wertheimer took place in Peru, Ind., December 27, 1893, to Miss Hannah Affelder, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Affelder.
Mrs. Wertheimer is a lady of rare accomplishments, and is especially talented in instrumental music. She has borne her husband one child, Lester Henry, who was born January 5, 1895.
Rabbi Wertheimer is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was for two years chaplain of his lodge; he is also a member of the B'nai Brith, or Sons of the Covenant, and was formerly president of the Kersher Shelbarzel, a Jewish society of Dayton, as well as an active member of the Present Day club. He is a scholar of unusual literary attainments, is a forcible and eloquent speaker, is possessed of indomitable energy, and his philanthropic disposition has won for him the esteem of all who know him.
REV. EDWARD LORENZ, [pages 351-352] of Dayton, Ohio, German editor for the United Brethern Publishing house, was born in Hessen Darmstadt, Germany, November 26, 1827. He received his preliminary education in the excellent public schools of his native land, and learned the trade of shoemaking, made illustrious by the many great men who began life in this calling. At the age of twenty-one years he came to America. Several years later he married Mrs. Adam Geil, formerly Miss Barbara Gueth, whom he had but passingly known in the fatherland. His wife had come to America several years earlier with her first husband, who died soon after their arrival, leaving her a widow with two small children, a stranger in a strange land at the age of twenty. With characteristic courage and fortitude she faced the situation, and despite the loss of her inheritance in Germany by the bad management of friends, supported herself and her little ones until her marriage with Mr. Lorenz. But she has borne the marks of this trying experience in the protracted invalidism of nearly half a century due to a broken nervous system. Mrs. Lorenz is a woman of unusual force and straightforwardness of character, somewhat reserved in manner and of few words, but with a kind heart and full of practical helpfulness. In this she resembles her father, whose young manhood was spent in Spain in the army of Napoleon. Taken captive by the English he was sent to England. Released on parole and sent home with 400 comrades, their ship was wrecked on the coast of Holland and only twenty-six of them were saved. He subsequently wrote a graphic narrative of this terrible experience, the original manuscript being now in the possession of E. S. Lorenz.
To Mr. and Mrs. Lorenz were born three children, viz: Edmund Simon, Daniel Edward, and Justina. Of these a full biographical sketch of Edmund S. follows this memoir; Daniel Edward is pastor of the Presbyterian church of the Good Shepherd, on Sixty-sixth street, New York city, and Justina is professor of the German language in the Norwich Conn. Free academy. Rev. Daniel Edward Lorenz received his preparatory education in the Dayton high school, graduated from Otterbein university in 1884, became assistant secretary of the Young Men's Christian association of New York city, attended Union Theological seminary, of that city, and married Miss Etta, daughter of Bishop J. W. Hott. Justina Lorenz married J. 0. Stephens, August 14, 1883, but her husband died October 18 following of typhoid fever, and since his death she has devoted herself exclusively to teaching. Since she accepted her present position she has been invited to fill important situations in other institutions, but has steadily declined to consider or accept them.
Edward Lorenz was converted the year after his reaching America (1849). He united with the United Brethren church in Canal Fulton, Stark county, Ohio, in 1859, and at once began preaching in the same town. After many years spent in the pastorate, preaching in most of the important cities of Ohio, he was appointed in May, 1889, by the United Brethren missionary board, as general manager of its missions in Germany, and was located at Berlin for four years, where his daughter, Justina, improved the opportunity in completing her advanced studies in the German language. During these years Mr. Lorenz traveled in all parts of the German empire, superintending the extensive missionary efforts of his church. On his return to the United States, in 1893, he was chosen pastor of the Otterbein (German) church on Xenia avenue, Dayton, and held the charge for two years, or until 1895, during the last year of his pastorate filling also the important position he at present occupies. He has exclusive editorial charge of all the publications issued in the German language by the United Brethren Publishing house, which include the Froehliche Botschafter, weekly; Jugend Pilger, semi-monthly; Lektionshefte, quarterly. Beside editing these, he reads the proofs of all German publications issued from the United Brethren Publishing house and also attends to all the German business correspondence of the house.
Rev. Mr. Lorenz has been a man of wonderful vitality, and now, though past sixty-nine years of age, is hale and hearty, being remarkably well preserved and still as affable, dignified and courteous as when he was in his prime. He attends to all his manifold and taxing duties without fatigue, and, it may be added, has lost but one day from illness during his forty years of active labor.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page