JOHN NEWTON ALLABACK [pages 371-372] has long been associated with the commercial and laboring interests of Dayton, and for the past ten years has been a most efficient and useful member of the police force of the city. Capt. Allaback was born in the village of West Point, Morrow county, Ohio, November 15, 1857. The removal of his parents to Dayton brought him to this city, which has been his home for twenty years or more.
His father, John Allaback, is also a native of this state, and has done his part in life as a citizen and soldier. When the war of the Rebellion called out the brave men of the nation to her defense, he was among the first to respond. He enlisted in a company that went out from Gallon early in the summer of 1861, served throughout the war, and was mustered out as captain of company K, Eighty-first regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry. After the return of peace, he returned to Galion, where he engaged in business as a. contracting plasterer for several years, until his removal for a second time to this city, which has since continued to be his home. Despite his long and arduous services as a soldier, he is still active and vigorous, and carries on an extensive business.
John N. Allaback remained with his father, working with him in his business, until he had reached the age of twenty-two years. At this time he also determined to try military life, and accordingly enlisted in Cincinnati, March 26, 1879, in the cavalry service of the United States. His first assignment was to Jefferson barracks, where he made a stay of some two months, undergoing a preliminary drill and general training for the service. When thought ready for the field, he was assigned to the Second United States cavalry, troop M, with headquarters at Fort Custer, Mont. The first three years of his stay with the troopers were principally occupied in scouting and field service, many of the northwestern Indians being openly hostile. He participated in two engagements of proportions sufficient to warrant them a place in history, one on the Milk river with the Sioux, and the other on the Rosebud with the Ogallas, both battle fields being in what is now the state of Montana. The Indians were active and aggressive, and the soldiery qualities of the Second were often severely tried. But it was a gallant company of brave men, and won a great reputation as Indian fighters. And our young soldier was well to the front in every time of danger. He won promotion from the ranks by his gallant behavior, was made corporal, and at the time of his discharge, March 26, 1884, was first duty sergeant of the troop.
Ex-Cavalryman Allaback returned to Dayton after leaving the service, and at once resumed the business he had put aside five years before. But the precision of his habits and the strength of his character, which he had gained from military life, were recognized, and he was called to the police department of the city, being appointed on the force June 16, 1886, and in this service he is still engaged. As a police officer he has acted in almost every capacity, and wherever he has been assigned to duty he has acquitted himself with high credit. He has followed the line of promotion; was first roundsman, then sergeant, and his commission as police captain bears date March 8, 1893. Capt. Allaback was married, on September 16, 1884, to Miss Alice Francis, a native of Dayton. Her father, Amon Francis, has been for many years one of Dayton's best millwrights. To this happy union there have been born three sons and one daughter: John Clifford, Wilbur Newton, Helen Catherine, and an infant, deceased. Capt. Allaback is a member of the Order of Foresters, and of the Police Benevolent association. He is still a young man, but has already won an honorable place in the estimation of the community, to whose interests he has been faithful in a place of responsibility and trust.
ROBERT MORRIS ALLEN, [pages 372-373] who holds the position of joint weighmaster and inspector of all railway lines centering in Dayton, is a native of this city, and was born March 30, 1847. His parents were Robert and Elizabeth (Simpson) Allen. The father came to Ohio from Pennsylvania in 1831, and at once located in this city, and here he lived until his death, which occurred in 1872, after he had passed his seventy-first birthday. During his youth he learned the cooper and stone-cutting trades, and after coming here he worked at the cooperage business until 1856. He was then appointed to the position of city wood measurer, and, following that, was elected to the same office, which he continued to hold until the spring of 1864. From that time on he ceased active employment. His wife was born in Dayton, and was the daughter of Moses and Eliza (Baker) Simpson. Her father and her grandfather (Aaron Baker) were early citizens of Dayton, and contributed not a little to the history of the growing town. They came from New Jersey, and found much delight in the soil and climate of southwestern Ohio. Robert and Elizabeth Allen became the parents of ten children, of whom three are now living, Robert M., and two younger sisters, of whom Sarah is the wife of William Sellman, of Dayton, and Annie resides with her brother.
Robert Morris Allen was reared in this city, attended its schools until he had reached the age of fourteen, when he felt called upon to care for himself, and began at that early age a business career that has been long and successful. His first employment was in the warehouse of Robert Chambers. Later he became a house and carriage-painter of acknowledged skill. In 1866 the railway service attracted him, and he became a brakeman on the old Dayton & Michigan railway. This position he held until 1871, when he received station work from the Atlantic & Great Western (now the N. Y., P. & 0.). He entered the revenue service of the United States in September, 1885, and was first appointed as deputy collector in the Sixth Ohio district, making his headquarters at Dayton until the consolidation of this district and the First. He was then stationed at Cincinnati, where he remained for two years. He then came back to this city to take charge of the position of stamp deputy. This place Mr. Allen held until a change of national administration called for his resignation from the service, to give office to a republican. The railway officials were quick to recognize the value of his ready and accurate mind, and he was offered the chief clerkship in the Dayton car service bureau. This he accepted and held until 1892, when this bureau was consolidated with a similar organization at Cincinnati. Mr. Allen was then put in charge of the weighing and inspection of all lines at Dayton, and here he is now engaged. He is also secretary of the Freight Agents' association and of the Dayton freight committee.
As a citizen Mr. Allen has been both active and public spirited. He was first elected to the board of education in 1873, and, with the exception of three years, has held a continuous membership to the present time. For three years he was president of the board, and has always exerted great influence in the educational affairs of the city. He was president of the board at the time the plans for the city library were perfected, and was instrumental in obtaining the consent of the city council to the location of the library building in the city park. He was on the board of education until about the time of the completion of the library, when the. legislature passed a law creating a board of library trustees. Of this board he was made a member, with much unanimity of feeling, as a deserved tribute to a hard worker in the cause of public education. He was afterward returned to the board of education, and continues in both bodies, Mr. Allen is much engaged in fraternity work, and is a member of several of the leading brotherhoods of the city. He is a Mason, an Odd Fellow, a Knight of Honor, a member of the Order of Elks, and of the Chosen Friends, and is much esteemed in all these relations.
JAMES M. ALLAN, [pages 373-374] infirmary director of Dayton and superintendent of the W. P. Levis & Co. paper-mill, was born in Dayton, February 20, 1856, and is a son of John and Jessie (Cooper) Allan, natives of Kirkintilloch, Scotland.
John Allan, the father, came to the United States in 1848, and at once settled in Dayton, Ohio, where he found work at his trade in the old McGregor paper-mill. He was a man of fine education, and for some years taught school in Montgomery county. In 1851 Miss Jessie Cooper came to America and was married to Mr. Allan in the same year. She died in 1874, a member of the Presbyterian church, and on February 15, 1896, her husband, who was an attendant of the same .church, also passed away in the seventy-second year of his age. Of their six children, four are still living, viz: Jennet, the wife of Samuel Lehman; James M., Thomas C. and Annie M., all residents of Dayton.
James M. Allan attended the public schools of his native city until eleven years of age. On March 4, 1867, he was employed by the paper-making firm of W. P. Levis & Co., learned the trade, and by this firm he has ever since been retained, reaching his present responsible position, by well-merited promotions, in September, 1892. At the April election of 1896 he was elected, on the republican ticket, director of the city infirmary of Dayton, an office also of great responsibility, and which he has filled to the approval of the public and with credit to himself.
November 21, 1879, Mr. Allan was happily married to Miss Annie M. Shiffler, daughter of William and Elizabeth Shiffler, old residents of Dayton. To this union have been born four children—Charles E., William E., Jessie E., and Mabel E. In their religious connection Mrs. Allan and her eldest son are members of the Lutheran church, while Mr. Allan is a Presbyterian. In his fraternal relations, he is a member of the Senior Order of American Mechanics and of the American Insurance Union.
PIUS P. ALTHOFF, [pages 374-375] senior member of the well known firm of P. P. Althoff & Son, coal dealers of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Emmittsburg, Md., December 8, 1821, of German parentage. Until 1847 he worked at farming and lumbering in his native state. In 1849 he came overland by teams to Ohio and since that date has been a resident of Montgomery county. After moving to Dayton he engaged in contracting, and building the narrow-gauge railroad, and was an excavating contractor for many years. In 1884 he engaged in the coal trade at Dayton, which was discontinued during the absence of his son, Henry F., in the west, and resumed on his return.
Mr. Althoff married, in Maryland, April 26, 1846, Miss Kate Welty, a resident of Maryland but a native of Karlsruhe, Germany, born June 20, 1821. To this union were born eleven children, nine of whom are still living, viz: Mary, Henry F., Carrie, George, Kate, Charles, Emma, Rose and Lillie,—all married, excepting Henry F., Carrie and Kate; the two deceased were named Harry and Willie. Mary is the wife of Redmond P. Sage, and lives in Dayton; George is a resident of Butte, Mont.; Henry F. and Charles are in Dayton; Rose is married to Frank Saxteller, also of Dayton; Lillie, now Mrs. Arnold Greiner, resides in Miamisburg, Ohio.
Although not a pioneer, Pius P. Althoff was an early settler in Montgomery county and came here a poor man. Of the sixteen companions who accompanied him over the National pike in 1849 but four are now living, while he and his wife have lived to celebrate their golden wedding, at which festival twenty-four children and grandchildren were present. Although now a solid citizen, the first year's experience in Montgomery county was, nevertheless, discouraging—the prospect being only for hard work and poor compensation, while, to add to the troubles of Mr. and Mrs. Althoff, a child sickened and died, and serious thoughts were entertained of going back to Maryland. But Mr. Althoff had a strong will and an industrious disposition, and after working on the railroad, as already mentioned, he began to buy wood in the timber and to haul it to town for the difference in price, which was very small; then worked on a farm for a year, saved his earnings and moved to Dayton. He next traded for a farm, on which the family lived for three years. He then exchanged his farm for city property, and engaged in contract work, as noted, and thus, by steady and persistent effort, he wrought out success and ultimate propensity.
Mr. Althoff was reared in the faith of the Catholic church, and is today a devoted member of the Sacred Heart congregation of Dayton, of which his wife and children are also members. He is, beside, a director of the Calvary cemetery. In politics he has been a life-long democrat, but has never been an office-seeker.
The parents of Pius P, Althoff were Henry and Catherine (Diffendall) Althoff, natives of Germany, but who died in Maryland, aged respectively seventy-two and sixty-three years. They were the parents of nine children, viz: John, now over eighty years of age and a resident of Houston, Tex.; Ann, widow of Dr. Flatt, and residing in Reedsburg, Wis.; Henry, a plasterer, who died in Hagerstown, Md., in his twenty-first year; Pius P.; Francis, a painter by trade, who died of a fever in Alton, Ill., where he was engaged in the grocery business; Ambrose, a retired mechanic, who lives near the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, in Frederick county, Md.; Aloysius, who is a mechanic of Dayton; and Felix, also of Dayton, who is a painter and decorator, and another deceased.
Henry F. Althoff, son of Pius P. Althon, was born in Liberty, Ohio, August 29, 1850, and was educated in the district school. Until 1882 he worked with his father and lived at home; then went west, but shortly afterward returned. March 17, 1884, he went to Montana, worked at silver mining in the Parrott and Anaconda mines, then went to Idaho and worked in the Bunker Hill and Tiger mines; was for two years a cowboy, and in 1892 returned with his savings and engaged in business with his father, handling coal, wood, lime, cement, etc., and doing a prosperous trade. He is still unmarried and resides with his parents at No. 226 South Warren street, Dayton. In politics he is a democrat.
JOSEPH W. ALLISON, [pages 375-376] manufacturer of wood and metal patterns and models, at the corner of Third and Canal streets, Dayton, Ohio, was born in Shelby county June 4, 1836, and is a son of James C. and Jane (Graham) Allison, natives of Pennsylvania, and doubtless of Scotch-Irish descent.
James C. Allison was in early life a shoe-maker, but later became a teamster, and in 1853 came to Dayton with his family, and here his wife died in 1878, at the age of seventy-six years, and he in 1885, at the advanced age of eighty-six years—both having lived in the faith of the New Light church. They were the parents of nine children, of whom three are now living in Dayton, one in Cincinnati, Ohio, and one in Carlisle, Ohio.
Joseph W. Allison was well educated in the public schools of his native county and in those of Dayton, and in his early manhood learned the trade of carriage making, at which he worked until his enlistment in October, 1861, in company G, Fourteenth Missouri volunteer infantry, in which he gallantly served until honorably discharged, in July, 1862, on account of disability. By advice of his physicians he then relinquished carriage making and devoted his attention to pattern making, in which business he began, in a small way, in Dayton, but has made an increasing and deserved success. He is an expert, and employs none but the best artists as his assistants, and has thus achieved a reputation second to that of no other designer in the state. In 1893 he associated his son with himself in the business, and assumed for the firm the style of the Allison Pattern works, under which name it has since greatly prospered. Mr. Allison is also a director in the West Side Building & Loan association, and is a member of the Hiram Strong post. No. 79, G. A. R. Politically he is a republican, and has served two terms in the Dayton city council, being for one year its president.
The marriage of Mr. Allison took place May 12, 1859, with Miss Isabella Kiler, a native of Dayton and a daughter of Daniel W. Kiler. This union was blessed with three children, viz: Charles L., now a pattern-maker, with Stilwell, Bierce & Co., and married to Cora Romaine; Daniel K., who is his father's partner in business and is married to Miss May E. Bryce, daughter of S. T. Bryce; Russell W., patternmaker, in the employ of the Buckeye Iron & Brass works, and married to Miss Jennie Atchison. The mother of this family became somewhat frail in health in 1893-94, and was taken by her husband on a tour through the west, and passed several months in California, Mexico, etc., but in May, 1895, she died in Dayton, a member of the Disciples' church, of which, for thirty years, Mr. Allison has also been an active member. Of their descendants, five grandchildren are now living and one deceased.
Daniel K. Allison, second son of Joseph W. and Isabella (Kiler) Allison, and now associated with his father in business, received his preliminary education in the public schools, and later attended Bethany college; he then read law with Hon. Samuel Craighead, was admitted to practice March 18, 1888, but followed his profession for twelve months only, preferring to devote his attention to mechanical industries.
Joseph W. Allison is one of Dayton's reliable business men and has always kept in view the material progress of the city, contributing freely to all projects designed for the promotion of the public good. He was for ten years at the head of the pattern department of the Dayton Malleable Iron works and one year with the Farmers' Friend Manufacturing company.
JOHN AMAN, [pages 376-377] a prominent citizen of Dayton, was born in Koenigheim, in the grand duchy of Baden, German, October 16, 1836, and is a son of Frank and Sophia Aman, both natives of Germany. Emigrating to the United States the family landed at Baltimore, Md., October 4, 1852, going from there to Washington, D. C., where they located permanently, and where Frank Aman followed his trade, that of tailor, until the time of his death, which occurred in 1855. Mrs. Aman died there in 1865, and both are buried in Washington. They were the parents of four children, as follows: Andrew, now a resident of Hyattsville, Prince George's county, Md., and who has been in the railroad service for more than forty years; Martin, who was accidentally shot at Wabash, Ind., in 1861, died from the effects of the wound and is buried in Dayton; John, the subject of this sketch, and Sebastian, who was a well-known restaurant keeper of Washington, and died February 20, 1895.
John Aman received most of his education in his native town in Baden, but attended night school during one winter in Dayton.
While in Washington he learned the cabinet-maker's trade, working for one employer for five consecutive years. In 1857 he removed to Dayton, and there entered the service of the Dutton Agricultural works, and after six months' employment in connection with this firm, became an employe of the Barney & Smith Manufacturing company. In 1858 he went to Richmond, Ind., where during the summer of that year he worked at house carpentering. In December, 1858, he was married to Mary Goellner, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, the marriage taking place in Dayton. After spending the succeeding winter in Richmond he returned to Dayton and resumed his position in the car works of Barney & Smith, remaining with them until November, 1881, and having been foreman during the last nine years of his service there.
In 1882 he purchased a lot on the corner of Johnston and Perrine streets, and built his present place of business, where he has ever since carried on business as a retail grocer. Politically Mr. Aman has always been a strong democrat and as such has been both active and prominent in city politics for many years. In 1867 he was elected to the city council from the Sixth ward, and served two years. In 1870 he was elected to the board of education from the Eleventh ward, the boundaries having been so changed as to throw his residence into this ward. In 1872 he was re-elected to that office for a second term of two years. In 1882 he was elected assessor of the Eleventh ward, serving one year. In 1885 he was elected from the Seventh ward to the city .board of education, and was twice re-elected, thus serving six years consecutively at this time, or ten years in all. In 1890 he was elected infirmary director and was re-elected in 1893. In all of these offices Mr. Am and has proved himself efficient and alive to duty, laboring for the good of those whom he represented, rather for his own aggrandizement.
To the marriage of Mr. Aman and his wife there have been born eight children, as follows: Annie, wife of Joseph Unger, of Dayton; Carrie, wife of Dennis J. Madden, of Dayton; Louisa, widow of William Roney; John, Jr., cornice worker of Dayton; Emma, wife of William Staffen, of Dayton; Josephine, wife of Eugene Chapin, of Dayton; William, an employee of the National Cash Register company, of Dayton, and Charles, also with the Cash Register company. Mr. Aman is a member of Humboldt lodge, No, 58, Knights of Pythias, and of Dayton lodge, A. 0. U. W. He was one of the charter members of the Baden society of Dayton, and in all of these societies is not only in good standing but is a man of usefulness and influence. He was secretary of the Miami, the Union and the Montgomery Building & Loan Associations, all of which have now gone out of existence through the terms of their organization.
WILLIAM J. AMBROSE [pages 377-378] is the manager for the C. F. Adams company, of Dayton, dealers, on the installment plan, in household goods. He was born in Urbana, Ohio, May 11, 1852, and is a son of William M. and Susan (McCandless) Ambrose.
William M. Ambrose was born in Berks county, Pa., of German descent, and although reared on a farm, was in his early manhood engaged in merchant-tailoring and in mercantile business. He first married Susan McCandless, who became the mother of five children, viz: William J.; Flora, wife of C. A. Meek, of Davenport, Iowa; Walter, deceased; Charles, a traveling salesman for the Simmons Hardware company, of Saint Louis, Mo., and residing in Lincoln, Neb.; and Edward C., a traveling salesman of Oakland, Cal. The mother of these children was called away. in 1861, at the early age of twenty-seven years, and the father, who is now farming east of Urbana, was again married, and became by this second union the father of three children, viz: Nettie, Judson W. and one that died unnamed.
William J. Ambrose, after passing through the public schools, for two terms attended the Swedenborg college at Urbana. At the age of seventeen years he began learning the carpenter's trade, and came to Dayton in 1871, when he accepted a position as salesman for the C. F. Adams company, and for six months acted as such in the Dayton store; he was then sent to Springfield, Ohio, as manager of the company's establishment in that city, where he was so efficient that the company, at the end of six months, recalled him to Dayton, which afforded a broader field for the exercise of his superior executive ability, and in his present position he has ever since been employed, widening and broadening the trade of the Adams company from year to year. Mr. Ambrose now employs in the Dayton establishment from fifteen to twenty salespeople.
In politics Mr. Ambrose is a republican. In fraternal matters he united with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1774, has passed all the chairs of the subordinate lodge, is a member of the Gem City encampment, was one of the charter members of the Gem City lodge, and is, beside, secretary of the Montgomery County Aid association of I. 0. 0. F. He is a charter member of Crown council, No. 35, Junior 0. U. A. M., also of Mayflower council, No. 33, 0. U. A. M.
Mr. Ambrose was married December 4, 1874, to Miss Elnicia G. Fitch, a native of Newberry, Ohio, and to this union have been born three children, Annabel, Bernice V. and Estella G. The eldest daughter, Annabel, is an accomplished vocalist, and is now the leading soprano in Saint Paul's Methodist church, is a member of the Philharmonic society, and also of the East End Choral society. The family are all members of Saint Paul's Methodist Episcopal church, Mr. Ambrose being a class leader and superintendent of the Sunday-school, and taking an active part in both church and Sunday-school work.
REV. CHARLES S. KEMPER, D. D., [page 378] chaplain of Central Branch National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, at Dayton, Ohio, was born in Wallhausen, Prussia, July 6, 1851, a son of John and Catherine Kemper, the former of whom died in Prussia and the latter is now a resident of Dayton, in her eighty-fourth year.
At the age of eight years Charles S. Kemper was brought to America by his mother, passed two years in school in Philadelphia, Pa., and at ten years of age was brought to Dayton. At thirteen years he went Bardstown, Ky., and passed two years in Saint Thomas' college; from there he went to Mount Saint Mary's seminary, in Cincinnati, where he remained for five years. He then went to Europe and studied theology three years at Innspruck, Austrian Tyrol, following this with one year's study in the German-Hungarian college in Rome, Italy, where he received the degree of doctor of divinity. In September, 1875, Dr. Kemper returned to America, and for two years was instructor in classics at Mount Saint Mary's, Cincinnati, and then took charge of the parish at Greenville, Ohio. In May, 1880, he was appointed Catholic chaplain of the Central branch, as noted above, where his duties are similar to those in parish work, except that there is greater demand for his presence with the sick and dying.
Father Kemper has been a priest of vast usefulness among the soldiers of the Central Branch, and is honored and revered by all with whom he comes in contact, regardless of religious faith. Of the 5,000 or more inmates of the home nearly one-third are of Catholic creed, and their spiritual care is found to be no easy task.
Father Kemper has two brothers and three sisters, all in America. Of these, Philip A, Kemper is a wholesale merchant and importer, of Dayton; Jacob is a merchant in Philadelphia; one of the sisters is wedded to a Mr. Rotterman, and the remaining two are still unmarried.
CHARLES ANDERTON, SR., [pages 378-381] sheriff of Montgomery county, and a well-known and honored citizen of Dayton, was born in this city on October 11, 1844, and is the son of James and Frances (Wilbey) Anderton. The parents were natives of England, and came to the United States early in life. They were among the old and well-known people of Dayton. The death of the father occurred in 1850, and that of the mother in 1890. Sheriff Anderton obtained his education in the Dayton public schools, and early entered upon the practical duties of life, beginning as a clerk in a city store. In' April, 1862, he began business for himself by opening a fruit store in Dayton, but in August of the same year he enlisted in company A, Ninety-third Ohio volunteer regiment, with which he served until May 17, 1865, when he was mustered out of the service by general order of the war department. At the battle of Missionary Ridge be was wounded, and at Dandridge, Term., he was again wounded, on January 17, 1864. Returning to his home in Dayton, after having been honorably discharged from the service, Mr. Anderton bought a news stand located in the old Post Office building, then at the corner of Third and Jefferson streets, now occupied by the Third National Bank, and continued in business until 1893. In November, 1894, he received the nomination for sheriff of Montgomery county at the hands of the republican party, and was elected by a handsome majority, and in 1896 he was re-nominated and re-elected by an increased majority, being the first republican sheriff who has succeeded himself in Montgomery county since 1860. For five years Sheriff Anderton served as a member of the city board of equalization. For years he has been an active and prominent member of the republican party, and served during one campaign as chairman of the county central committee. Mr. Anderton is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., K, of P., G. A. R., Union Veteran Legion, Legion of Honor, and the A. E. 0. He was married in April, 1867, to Miss Lucy Henderson, who was born in Dayton, and is a daughter of the late Ebenezer Henderson, once sheriff of Montgomery county. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderton two children have been born, only one of whom—Charles, Jr.— is still living. The one deceased was Emma, who died in May, 1891, aged nineteen years.
CHARLES FORSMAN ANDERSON [pages 381-382] is to be classified as one of the representative business men of the city of Dayton, being a member of the photographic firm of Anderson & Hartshorn. He is an artist of much technical skill and discriminating taste, having made a thorough and systematic study of photography in all its branches.
A son of Benjamin Dickey Anderson and Sarah (Forsman) Anderson, our subject was born in Xenia, Greene county, Ohio, on the 16th of June, 1855, tracing his lineage through Scotch, Irish and English strains. The father also was a native of the Buckeye state, having been born in Adams county. He became well known throughout the state as a breeder and driver of fine standard-bred track horses, and was a man of inflexible honor and marked individuality. He was an active member of the United Presbyterian church of Xenia, and for many years acted as chorister of the same. He was possessed of exceptional musical ability, and in his early manhood had devoted his attention for some time to the teaching of vocal music. He lived a long and useful life, secure in the esteem and confidence of his fellow men, and his death occurred in 1883, at which time he had attained the venerable age of seventy-one years. He had been twice married, and the one child of the first union is now deceased. By his marriage to Sarah Forsman he became the father of four children: James W., who is a traveling salesman, living in Dayton; Charles F.; Ella, the wife of Charles Bigelow, of Boston, Mass; and Carrie, wife of Henry Henderson, of Los Angeles, Cal.
Charles F. Anderson passed his youthful years in Xenia, securing his education in the public schools of that city and remaining at the parental home until he had attained his majority. In the year 1878 he came to Dayton for the purpose of devoting himself to the study of crayon portraiture and photography, for which he had a natural inclination. He continued his technical study with interest and careful application for some three years, at the expiration of which time he had become a capable artist. He first went to Indianapolis, Ind., where he opened a studio for the execution of crayon work, continuing there for nearly two years, after which he returned to Dayton and entered the establishment of Appleton & Hollinger, photographers, where he acted in the capacity of crayon artist and finisher of photographic work. He remained in the employ of this firm for several years, and then engaged in business on his own responsibility by opening a studio on the corner of Fifth and Wayne streets, conducting the same successfully for a period of nearly two years. He was then offered such inducements that he entered the studio of Hollinger as crayon artist and finisher, also spending considerable time in outdoor photographic work. In February, 1894, he formed his present partnership with Mr. Hartshorn. The establishment has acquired particular prestige in the line of crayon and pastel portraits, this work being executed by Mr. Anderson, who has established an excellent reputation as a free-hand artist. Our subject is progressive in his methods and aims to take advantage of every new discovery and accessory which will facilitate the production of high-class work and insure satisfaction to patrons. He is a member of the State Photographer’s association, in whose work he maintains much interest. In his political faith he renders allegiance to the republican party.
On the 14th of November, 1881, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage with Miss Lizzie Hamill, daughter of Capt. Joseph and Leah C. Hamill, honored residents of Dayton. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are the parents of one child, Gaylord. They are consistent members of the United Presbyterian church, of which Mr. Anderson is a member of the board of trustees, and also renders effective service as a member of the choir. At the attractive family home, 322 Jones street, a cordial welcome is always assured to the large coterie of friends whom Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have drawn about them, and both are held in the highest esteem in the community.
SILAS S. AUGHE [pages 382-383] (deceased), formerly the leading plow manufacturer of Dayton, was born in Miamisburg, Montgomery county, Ohio, November 17, 1831, a son of William and Catherine (Tafflemire) Aughe.
William Aughe, his father, was a native of Rockingham county, Va., born November 20, 1794, and at the age of two or three years was brought to Ohio by his parents, Jacob and Lydia (Jeffers) Aughe, who settled in Warren county. Jacob Aughe was a millwright in Virginia, and at one time owned a mill on the site of the famous battle field of Bull Run. The family was of combined German and English stock, and was one of the foremost in the Old Dominion. Jacob Aughe was the pioneer miller on the Hocking river, where he first built a small corn-cracker at the falls, near Logan, 1796, then moved to Springboro, near Clear Creek, in Warren county, later to the site of what is now known as Vandere's mill, where he erected the first mill between Cincinnati and Piqua, and finally returned to Springboro, where he ended his days, the father of eleven children, all of whom reached maturity. William Aughe was a brickmaker and followed this business chiefly in Warren and Montgomery counties, He was a man or domestic habits, was honest and industrious, and for some years lived in Miamisburg, but finally moved to Carrollton, where he died at the age of eighty-six years, in the faith of the Methodist church. To his marriage were born seven children, viz.: Hiram, an edge-tool maker, who died in Dayton at the age of forty-five years; Susannah, deceased wife of John Yeazell, a farmer; Jefferson, who died in 1871, aged forty-nine years; William, a blacksmith by trade and superintendent of a railroad shop in Logansport, Ind.; Silas S.; Mary J., who died in infancy, and Samantha, deceased wife of Andrew Clark, a farmer of Darke county. Jefferson Aughe, mentioned above, was a blacksmith and general forger, and about 1852 or 1853 invented the Aughe plow, in the manufacture of which he was engaged at the time of his death.
Mrs. Catherine (Tafflemire) Aughe was a native of Canada, although her parents were born in Virginia, whence they moved to Kentucky and located near Boonsboro. There Mr. and Mrs. Tafflemire were captured by Indians during a raid and carried off to Canada, where the husband and wife were separated. Some little while afterward the husband made his escape, and in revenge the wife was made to "run the gantlet," in which cruel proceeding she was unmercifully clubbed, had her collarbone broken, and sustained other severe injuries. She recovered, however, and shortly afterward her husband, assisted by two others, effected her rescue. The couple then settled in Canada, where the husband worked as a miller and ship-carpenter until his death, the wife also dying in that country.
Silas S. Aughe, after receiving a good public-school education, learned the trade of black-smithing and plowshare forging under his brother Jefferson, and, about 1866, was made foreman of his brother's works. He was later made a sharer in the profits of the business and given the superintendency, and this position he held until his brother's death (in 1871), when a Mr. Parrott bought the plant, retaining Silas S. Aughe in his former capacity and on the same terms. This arrangement continued until 1885, when the Cast Steel Plow company was organized, in which company Mr. Aughe held a controlling interest. Upon the original plow Mr. Aughe made a number of improvements and secured patents for attachments not only to this particular plow, but to plows of other makes, to which these attachments are valuable adjuncts.
Mr. Aughe was united in marriage, in Dayton, February 14, 1856, with Miss Mary Kittinger, a native of Lancaster, Pa., and a daughter of Samuel and Lucy Kittinger. To this union were born two children, viz: John, who is in the employ of the Dayton Fan & Motor company, and Laurina, deceased. Mr. Aughe possessed a deep and reflective mind, and was an active and energetic business man. He was thoroughly practical in all things, and as a business man had but few superiors in the city of Dayton. His death occurred February 8, 1897.
BENJAMIN F. ARNOLD, [pages 383-384] contractor, builder and manufacturer, of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, November 14, 1842. He is a son of John W. and Eliza J. (Kelly) Arnold, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Ohio. They were the parents of seven children, all still living, as follows: Mary, widow of Jacob Arnold; Lizzie; Benjamin F.; Sarah, widow of John Frederick; Rebecca, wife of Alsup Dann; John D., and Clara, wife of Edwin Fair.
John W. Arnold, the father of this family, was a farmer by occupation, and came to Ohio in 1833, locating in Dayton. He followed farming near Dayton until 1865, in the meantime serving as the first superintendent of the poor house, when its only building was constructed of logs. His death occurred when he was fifty-nine years of age. Two years later his wife died. Both were members of the United Brethren church. Mr. Arnold was a soldier in the late Civil war, as a member of company G, Sixty-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, The father of John W. Arnold was a native of Pennsylvania, but was of English and Welsh descent. He was married twice and was the father of thirteen children, was a farmer by occupation and lived to be a very old man. The maternal grandfather of Benjamin F. Arnold was a native of Virginia.
Benjamin F. Arnold was reared on the farm near Dayton until he was fourteen years of age, receiving his early education in the public schools. At that time his parents removed to Dayton, and he then began learning the carpenter's trade, and for some time was a journeyman carpenter, until 1868. During the late Civil war he enlisted in company C, Thirty-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, at Hamilton, Ohio, and served eighteen months. Returning to Dayton he enlisted in the Fourth Ohio cavalry, in which he served nearly nine months. The battles in which he took part were those of Mill Springs, Ky.; Pittsburg Landing, and Perryville, and a number of minor engagements and skirmishes. After the war he returned to Dayton and worked at his trade until 1868, when he began to do contract work on his own account, and has continued thus engaged ever since. He erected several of the buildings at the soldiers' home, the Western engine house, and also a large number of residences in Dayton. For the last ten years he has manufactured the Ladies' Friend washing machine, and in the busy season gives employment to quite a number of men.
On January 6, 1869, Mr. Arnold was married to Miss Julia A. Powell, daughter of Joseph and Mary E. (May) Powell. To this marriage have been born eight children, five sons and three daughters. Those living are as follows: Stella M., Irving P., Joseph J., Jessie, Clayton, Carroll and Lula. Stella M. married Luther Rumbarger, by whom she has one child, Arnold Rumbarger. Irving P. married Lulu Hines, by whom he has two children; Joseph J. married Josie Belle Fisher.
Mr. and Mrs. Arnold are members of the Baptist church, Mr. Arnold having been a deacon in his church for several years. He is a member of Armstrong post, No. 79, G. A. R., and of the Junior Order of American Mechanics. As a republican he was elected to the Dayton board of education, and served one term. Having lived in Montgomery county and Dayton for more than half a century, he is well-known throughout the country as a good workman, as a capable and successful business man, and as a useful citizen.
THE AULL BROTHERS PAPER & BOX COMPANY, [pages 384-386] whose thoroughly equipped establishment is located at Nos. 220 to 224 West Fifth street, Dayton, Ohio, is to be numbered among the progressive and important manufacturing concerns of the city. In the year 1882 the business had its inception, F. N. Aull having at that time begun operations upon a very small scale, buying his stock in limited quantities and selling the goods from a wagon. This he continued for one year, after which the business was conducted under the firm title of W. J. Aull & Brother. They secured a small stock of goods, and their method of working was to go out and personally secure orders and then return to their headquarters and fill the same. Their establishment was located on Hanna's alley, between Jefferson and St. Clair streets, and these quarters were retained for about four years, when the growing, demands made upon the firm rendered it essential that they secure accommodations of a better order. Accordingly they removed to No. 39 East Second street, and eventually found use for the adjoining store, No. 37. Upon the erection of the M. J. Gibbons building, 136 East Second street, they took possession of it, the building having been designed and built particularly for their use. Here, under the firm name of Aull Brothers Paper Company, they continued operations for five years, when again there arose the necessity for more commodious quarters, and they then prepared for the erection of a building of their own and one which should offer all the conveniences essential to carrying on with the greatest facility the details of the now very extensive business. This building was completed in due time and the firm took possession of the same in January, 1895. The structure is of brick, is 50 x 125 feet in dimensions, five stories in height and of approved modern architectural design. Special shipping facilities are secured through the provision of a side-track connecting directly with the establishment. When operating to full capacity, the manufactory affords employment to a corps of 150 persons, the output comprising folding and made-up paper boxes of all kinds, paper pails for ice cream, oysters, berries, etc., together with paper bags of all sizes. The business is continued as a wholesale jobbing enterprise, and the products of the establishment find sale in the most diverse sections of the Union.
In March, 1895, the senior member of the firm, W. J. Aull, started on a trip south, by river, for the improvement of his health, taking passage on the steamer "Longfellow," which encountered a fog at Cincinnati on the 7th of March, resulting in a most painful fatality, since the boat went down with all on board, Mr. Aull and his wife both being drowned. He was but thirty-eight years of age, and his .untimely death by so pitiable an accident caused the deepest sorrow to all who had known him in either a business or social way. After his death the business in which he had been so conspicuously concerned was reorganized and incorporated, with officers as follows: F. N. Aull, president; J. W. Aull, secretary, and A. H. Baer, treasurer, the enterprise being capitalized for $75,000.
The Aull family have been continuously residents of Dayton for more than thirty years, the family having come to this place in 1840, subsequently removing to Bloomington, Ill., where he remained until 1865, when he again returned with his family to Dayton, where they have ever since maintained their abode.
The venerable father is still living, having attained the age of seventy-two years. He left Dayton in 1895 for the purpose of making his home with his daughter, who resides on Lookout Mountain. He had been prominently engaged in the hotel business for many years, and had a wide circle of acquaintances, among whom he was singularly popular. He has been a stalwart democrat all his life and an active worker in the party ranks. He is a native of Hesse-Cassel, Germany, whence he came to America when a lad of ten years. Upon attaining his majority he was united in marriage to Miss Julia Gigler, a native of Hagerstown. Her death occurred January 8, 1891. They became the parents of ten children, two of whom, Edward and Elizabeth, died in infancy. Of the others, Louisa is the widow of John Weston, of Dayton; Catherine is the wife of W. F. Heath, of Ottawa, Ill.; Eva is the wife of Colonel H. F. Collins, of Dayton; William J. is deceased; Emma is the wife of 0. L. Hurlburt, of Lookout Mountain, Tenn.; Frank N. is president of the Aull Brothers Paper & Box company; John W. is a member of the same company; Julia is the wife of T. V. Meyer, of Chattanooga, Tenn.
Frank N. Aull was born August 27, 1862, at Bloomington, Ill. He was educated in the public schools and at fourteen years of age became identified with the line of industry with which he is still concerned. He has developed a marked business sagacity and executive ability, is known as one of the most capable young business men of Dayton, and is a member of the board of trade. His marriage to Miss Ella Wetzel was celebrated October 2, 1889, and they have three children—Charles F., Harold W. and Edgar C. The family home is located at 313 Superior avenue, and both Mr. and Mrs. Aull are members of Grace Methodist Episcopal church.
John W. Aull, secretary of the company, is a native of Dayton, where he was born on the 2/th of March, 1866. He received a common-school education, and at the age of fourteen years became associated with the practical duties of life, becoming then concerned in the paper business with R. A. Rogers, with whom he continued to be associated until 1885, when he became traveling salesman for the Aull Brothers' establishment, becoming a member of the firm in 1890. In 1892 he gave up work as traveling representative and assumed charge of the manufacturing department of the business, becoming secretary at the time of its incorporation. His standing in commercial circles is on a parity with that of his brother, and both are unmistakably popular by reason of their correct and honorable methods and sterling personal attributes. In his fraternal relations Mr. Aull is a member of the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks, in whose affairs he has an abiding interest.
On the 3rd of June, 1891, John W. Aull was united in marriage to Miss Mamie Harries, daughter of John Harries, a well-known resident of Dayton. They reside at No. 217 North Jefferson street.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page