CHARLES 0. GRAUSER, [pages 529-530] sergeant on the Dayton metropolitan police force, was born in Germantown, Montgomery county, Ohio, June 3, 1835, and is a son of Christian and Margaret (Dininger) Grauser, both natives of Germany, who, when children of about fourteen years, came to the United States with their parents, and, on reaching mature years, were married in Montgomery county.
Christian Grauser was a musician of more than ordinary merit and took his first lessons in this art in Germany, where, even in childhood, he was organist in a church. His musical education was finished in this country, and he became proficient in execution upon many kinds of musical instruments. He possessed a natural faculty for composition, his maturer years being largely devoted to the exercise of this gift. He was a teacher of more than local reputation, and for many years conducted classes, in both vocal and instrumental music, in Germantown. He and his wife were members of the Lutheran church, and in this faith he died in 1855. To Mr. and Mrs. Grauser were born eight children, in the following order: Lewis H., a cooper by trade and a resident of Germantown; Amelia J. was a blacksmith, and died, in 1892, in Detroit, Mich., where he had located with his family; Bianca is the wife of P. E. Bechtold, a shoe merchant of Germantown; Charlotte is the widow of 0. G. H. Davidson, who was a prominent business man of Dayton, was sheriff of Montgomery county for four years, also tax commissioner, and whose son is now a city official; Mrs. Elizabeth Izor died in young womanhood, her husband, who was a grain merchant, being also deceased; Charles 0. is the subject of this memoir; Augusta, now Mrs. Urschel, has been twice married, her first husband having been Cornelius Bitman, and her present husband being a farmer of Greenville, Darke county, Ohio; Melozina was first married to Cyrus Hiester, and after his death became the wife of Horace Hippie, a farmer near Germantown.
Charles 0. Grauser early learned the trade of shoemaking in Germantown and followed the business for about twelve years, and was also engaged in farming to some extent. In 1866 he came to Dayton and became turnkey of the county jail, his brother-in-law, 0. G. H. Davidson, being at that time county sheriff; later Mr. Grauser served as deputy sheriff for eighteen months, and was next employed as sanitary policeman for two and a half years. March 19, 1874, he was appointed to the regular police force, and now enjoys the distinction of being the oldest member, in point of service, of the Dayton police department, his term reaching nearly twenty-three years, during which period he has served in all positions from that of patrolman to the highest on the force.
Mr. Grauser was first united in marriage in 1856, with Miss Julia Rowe, of Germantown, the union resulting in the birth of one child, Walter, who became a telegraph operator, was a bright and promising young man, but died at the age of seventeen years. Mrs. Grauser died on July 17, 1870, and in 1873 Mr. Grauser married Miss Susan Wright, a native of Miami county, Ohio, and to this marriage have been born two children: Earnest, who is a carriage-trimmer by occupation, is unmarried, and is living at home with his father, and Clarence, who is a student in the city high school.
Mrs. Grauser is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Grauser is a member of Friendship lodge, No. 21, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Germantown, and of the Dayton lodge of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, No. 48; also a member of the Dayton Police Benevolent association, of which he was a charter member, and has been the president for three years. Mr. Grauser has been a most faithful officer, and as a citizen is universally respected.
ELVIN HENRY COE, [pages 530-533] a representative insurance man of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Oakland, Oakland county, Mich., May 3, 1847, a son of Alonzo and Elizabeth Coe. Alonzo Coe, a native of Edinburg, Portage county, Ohio, was a physician by profession, and at the outbreak of the Civil war entered a Michigan regiment as surgeon, served in the Union army until the strife was over, and died in Mexico, Ind., in 1891. The mother, Elizabeth Coe, was born in Cornwall, Canada, and died at the early age of twenty-two years when her only child, Elvin Henry, was very young. The paternal ancestors traced their genealogy to England, and the maternal were of Irish extraction.
Elvin H. Coe, after the death of his mother, was practically without a parental home, and was reared principally among strangers, although for a time he found a home with an uncle, William M. Olmstead, of Portage county, Ohio. After he entered his uncle's house he was permitted to attend the district school for three terms—the school-house being at a distance of three miles away, thus causing him a walk of six miles daily, beside which he was compelled to work at clearing early and late.
While living with his uncle, Mr. Coe enlisted in company I, One Hundred and Fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, and his service was principally in the First brigade, Second division, Twenty-third army corps; with this command he participated in the battle of Snow's Pond, Ky., siege of Knoxville, Cumberland Gap, siege and capture of Atlanta, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Spring Hill, Columbia, Franklin, Nashville, Fort Fisher, New Berne, N. C., and was with Gen. Thomas until the close of the war. "In the three years' service of the One Hundred and Fourth Ohio volunteer infantry they soldiered in five rebel states, participated in the annihilation of one great rebel army and received the surrender of another; fought in twenty-three different battles, in which they captured more than 10,000 rebel prisoners, eighteen pieces of artillery, and twenty-five stand of colors; they marched more than 3,400 miles, rode 3,000 by rail, 1,300 by water; they uncomplainingly endured many hardships of hunger and thirst, cold and heat, disease and wounds, and laid hundreds of their comrades in the silent tomb."
On being mustered out of the service at the close of the war, Mr. Coe went to Ravenna, Portage county, Ohio, and began work as brakeman on the Atlantic & Great Western railroad in July, 1865, but was shortly afterward promoted to be conductor, and served in this capacity, with the same company, for twenty-five years. While yet a brakeman, however, he had an opportunity of demonstrating the truth of the saying, "bread cast upon the waters will return after many days." A penniless boy had appealed to him for transportation to Hudson, Ohio, in order to attend school, and Mr. Coe interceded for him with the conductor, and with success. Years later, when Mr. Coe had been overtaken with misfortune, was without money, and anxious to secure work however menial, the penniless lad, now assistant general passenger agent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad company, reading of the death of Mr. Coe's son and of other mishaps that had befallen Mr. Coe himself, came all the way from New York, and as the result of the interview appointed the latter as agent in Ohio for the American Steam Boiler insurance company, at a salary of $25 per week. This led up to his present extensive business, and it is needless to say that Charles B, Squire and Elvin H. Coe are bound by ties equally strong as if they were brothers.
January 27, 1876, Mr. Coe married Miss Catherine E. Jones, a native of Aurora, Trumbull county, Ohio, the ceremony taking place in Ravenna. In 1878 Mr. Coe and wife came to Dayton and have resided here continuously ever since that time. To their marriage have been born four children, viz: George E., who was a traveling salesman, but, while temporarily employed on a railroad, was accidentally killed in the twenty-second year of his age; Jennie A., who is her father's very efficient stenographer and bookkeeper; Minnie I., who is an accomplished vocalist, a member of the Third Presbyterian church choir, and is recognized as the best alto soloist in Dayton; Grace L., who is a pupil in one of the city schools. Mr. and Mrs. Coe are members of the Memorial Presbyterian church, in which Mrs. Coe is active in home missionary work, having been for years secretary and treasurer of the mission society attached to that congregation, and she is also prominent in other benevolent work. Fraternally Mr. Coe was made a Mason in Rockton lodge, No. 316, at Kent, Ohio, and still holds membership with that lodge; he is also a member of Old Guard post, No. 21, Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Garfield club, a political organization of Dayton.
Mr. Coe has always shown industry and diligence in whatever he has been called upon to do, and has worked out his own success. Beginning with but a limited education, he found this fact a serious inconvenience; but he has traveled with his eyes and ears open, and has been a life-long student of men and their ways. He has been an omnivorous reader, and is now exceptionally well informed upon general subjects and upon insurance matters in particular. His railroad work carried Mr. Coe through Dayton for ten or twelve years prior to his permanent settlement in this city, during which period he made many warm friends, whom he still claims, and since coming here has made friends with hundreds of others, who hold him in high regard and esteem, both as a business man and in social life.
ALBERT H. GRIM. [pages 533-534] Among the representative business men of Dayton is Albert H. Grim, president of the A. H. Grim company, proprietors of one of the leading furniture and carpet houses in the Gem City. Mr. Grim is the youngest of four children of Louis and Theresa (Brodbeck) Grim, and was born at Danville, Highland county, Ohio, on August 12, 1860. He was reared in Ripley, Ohio, to which place his parents removed when he was but six years of age. He was educated in the public schools, and learned the furniture business with his father, with whom he remained until he was twenty-five years of age. In 1885 Mr. Grim came to Dayton and accepted a position as traveling salesman with the Stomps-Burkhardt company, furniture manufacturers, remaining with that firm for a period of eight years, during most of which time he traveled over fourteen states. On July 1, 1893, he established the business of A. H. Grim & Co., which firm was incorporated into the A. H. Grim company in February, 1895, with Mr. Grim as president, A. F. Hochwalt as secretary and treasurer, and E. 0. Pryor as a director. Their business was located at No. 422 East Fifth street until in March, 1896, when they removed to their present quarters at Nos. 122 and 124 East Fifth street, in a building erected especially for them, which is one of the conspicuous business blocks in the city. This company carries a complete line of furniture, carpets, stoves and household goods, which is entirely new and especially selected for the trade. The company occupies four floors and basement, 43 x 99 feet, and has the model building of the city for this business. Mr. Grim is thoroughly equipped for and conversant with the business, having been reared to it from boyhood, and to his experience, judgment and fine business ability is due, in a great part, the enviable position his company holds in the commercial world. He is progressive, wide-awake and enterprising. He gives his entire time and attention to the affairs of the company, and if he cherishes one ambition above another it is that of seeing the A. H. Grim company maintain its present standing in the business circles of the community. Mr. Grim is quite prominent in fraternal society circles. He is a member of Humboldt lodge, No. 58, Knights of Pythias, of court Harmon, No. 1311, Independent Order of Foresters, and of Gem City council, No. 1, Fraternal Censer. Mr. Grim was married on May 1, 1883, in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Miss Philipina Gross, daughter of Peter Gross, and to them have been born the following children: Elsie, Theresa, Huldah and Leona. The eldest child born is deceased. The father of Mr. Grim is of German birth. From Danville he removed his family to Ripley, Ohio, in 1866, where he has since resided. For years he was successfully engaged in the furniture business, but is now retired, he being in his eighty-sixth year. His wife is of Swiss birth and is in her seventy-sixth year. They are the parents of four children, as follows : Louis, born December 18, 1849, a furniture dealer of Ripley, Ohio ; Joseph, born in 1853, and residing in Ripley; Emil., who died in childhood, and Albert H., our subject.
JOHN L. GUSLER, [pages 534-535] of Dayton, Ohio, ex-sheriff of Montgomery county, was born at Liberty, Montgomery county, Ohio, July 27, 1856. He is a son of Solomon B. Gusler, who removed to Montgomery county, in April, 1849, from Perry county, Pa., where he was born July 31, 1821. By occupation he has been a fanner all his life, and is still farming in Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, where he has lived since 1850. He has never held political office, but is a thorough democrat in principle. His life has been one of honest and straightforward dealing with his fellow-men, and he enjoys the well-earned esteem of his neighbors. He married Mary Ann Hoffman, who was born May 27, 1827, about four miles from Millerstown, Perry county. Pa., and who is still living. To their marriage seven children were born, four of whom are still living, and all residents of Montgomery county, Ohio.
John L. Gusler was reared on the farm in Jefferson township, and received his education in the public schools of Liberty. Upon arriving at the age of eighteen years he began business life as a clerk in the grocery store of D. 0. Kimmel, at Liberty, with whom he remained for two years, at the end of which period he went to Iowa, and worked for two years on a farm. Returning home, he remained two years on his father's farm, and during this time served as constable of Jefferson township, This office he resigned to accept a position with A. D. Wall, successor to Samuel C. Schwarz, clothier, of Dayton. Mr. Schwarz then purchased the store from Mr. Wall, Mr. Gusler remaining with him until 1883. At that time he embarked in the clothing business for himself in Dayton, and continued thus engaged until 1892. In that year he was elected on the democratic ticket to the office of sheriff of Montgomery county, and filled that office acceptably to the people of the county for one term of two years. He was renominated for sheriff in 1894, but, with the entire democratic ticket, was defeated, running ahead of the rest of his ticket, however, about 1,100 votes.
Retiring from the office of sheriff Mr. Gusler purchased, January 17, 1895, the Palace livery stables, located at Nos. 233 and 235 South Jefferson street, one of the largest and best arranged plants in the city, and conducted the same until September, 1896. Mr. Gusler is a member of the Knights of Pythias, of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, of the Elks, of the Eagles and of the Foresters. He was married March 6, 1881, to Miss Emma Miller, a daughter of John Miller, of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio. To this marriage there have been born two children, Otho Evan, who died an infant, December 8, 1883, and Laura L., who was born July 29, 1885, now with her parents.
WILLIAM F. HAAS, [pages 535-536] who merits consideration in this connection by reason of being one of the representive young business men of Dayton, the city of his nativity, is at the head of the firm of William F. Haas & Co., the most extensive dealers in bicycles and wheel supplies in this section, with headquarters at No. 115 East Third street. Among the leading bicycles handled by the firm are the Liberty, Rambler, Crescent, Ideal and Patee, all of which are known for their many points of superiority as attractive and serviceable machines. The firm also carry full lines of bicycle sundries and supplies and maintain a repair shop which is complete in all its equipments and in charge of competent workmen. The firm are immediate successors to A. W. Gump & Co., whose interests they purchased in 1895. The members of the present firm are William F. Haas, and L. W. Winters, both of whom have been associated with the business as conducted by their predecessors, being, therefore, fully conversant with all details relative to the successful management of the enterprise. They are young men who show the distinctive American push and progressiveness, and their correct methods, unvarying courtesy and unswerving business integrity have gained to them the measure of success which is justly their due.
William F. Haas, the immediate subject of this review, was born in the city of Dayton, on the 7th of April, 1864, a son of Henry and Christina (Fishbach) Haas, both of whom were born in Germany, whence they came to the United States in their early childhood. They became residents of Dayton prior to their marriage, and here the death of Henry Haas occurred in the year 1889, he having been for some time a well-known salesman in a leading mercantile establishment of this city. The mother is still living, retaining her home in Dayton. They became the parents of eight children, namely: Clara E., Mary J., Ella M., Arthur D. (deceased), William F., Walter E., Harry L., and Ida M. The children are all unmarried with the exception of Harry L., who was united to Miss Bertha Klugle.
William F. Haas has passed his entire life in the city of his birth, and his educational opportunities were those afforded by the excellent public schools of the place. At the age of thirteen years he entered upon his first business experience as a clerk in the establishment of D, W. Winters & Brother, with whom he remained for two years, after which he was for an equal length of time in the employ of Legler, Prugh & DeWeese. His next movement was one which showed good judgment and grew out of his desire to acquire a knowledge which would be of reliable value to him as a resource. He entered the Buckeye lron & Brass works for the purpose of learning the trade of a machinist, remaining in the employ of this company for a period of five years, after which he was for a time identified with his present business, finally passing from the position of an employee to that of proprietor. The success of the enterprise is one of which the firm may well feel proud, and the establishment enjoys a local popularity on a par with the high personal standing of the interested principals.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Haas is identified with Wayne lodge, No. 10, I. 0. 0. F., and is also a zealous member of the Y. M. C. A. In his religious associations he is connected with the Raper Methodist Episcopal church, in which he is a steward, as well as an assistant superintendent of the Sunday-school. His home is located at 213 Howard street.
CHARLES HENRY CRAWFORD, [pages 536-540] deceased, formerly one of the prominent and valued citizens of Dayton, was born in Johnstown, N. Y., January 16, 1820. His father and mother, Jonathan and Elizabeth Crawford, were the parents of four children, viz: William, deceased; Charles Henry, and two daughters, Mrs. M. N. Wheaton and Mrs. E. D. Payne, who resided for many years in Dayton, both of them women of excellent qualities and strong character.
The family having in 1821 removed to Milton Center, Saratoga county, lived there one year, and then removed to Rock City Falls, in the same county, where they remained until 1830. Of his boyhood at Rock City Falls Mr. Crawford always retained the most vivid and pleasant recollections. It was there that he acquired the rudiments of his education, in the little school-house on the edge of the village, with its rude writing desks and benches; and it was there also, when in his eighth year, that he received his first religious impressions, attending meetings in the houses of the neighbors with his mother. He ever remembered his Sunday-school teacher, Oliver Whitehead, with affection and reverence.
In 1830 the family removed to Milton Stone Meeting House, where Rev. Thomas Powell was pastor, and where Mrs. Crawford had previously united with the church. Here they lived for about two years, when, on the death of Jonathan Crawford's father, they returned to the old homestead in Saratoga county. On the farm young Charles Henry, strong and active, became exceedingly helpful in the work, his father's approval being to him a constant incentive to industry. During the winter months he attended district school about a mile away. Naturally of a studious disposition, he needed no other stimulus, made rapid progress in all his studies, and felt great pride in standing at the head of his class and in receiving the approval of his teacher. He also attended a singing class and thus began to cultivate a talent by means of which he added much to his own and others happiness during the rest of his life.
Arriving at the age of sixteen years he cheerfully assented to the proposition of his father that he learn a trade, and so was apprenticed to Paddock & Townsend, saddlers, of Troy, N. Y., with whom his brother, William, had been engaged two years. On March 1, 1836, he left home and was soon employed in his new position, and he ever afterward supported himself.
In 1829 Archibald and Ziba Crawford, uncles of Charles Henry, established themselves in the manufacture of lasts and shoe pegs in Dayton, and m 1839 they extended to their young nephew an invitation to take a position in their factory. The firm in Troy with which he was engaged failing about this time, he accepted the invitation. After a journey of eleven days and ten nights he arrived in Dayton, November 4. His uncles had just completed a new building for their factory, on the canal, a building which is still standing. At the end of three years Mr. Crawford became a third owner of the business, and continued a member of the company most of the rest of his life. He became well known as a just and honorable business man, an amiable partner and unusually thoughtful in every time of trial and business care. The title of the firm changed several times, until at length it became, as stated in the sketch of William H. Crawford, the Crawford, McGregor & Canby Co., this title being assumed, however, several years after the death of Charles Henry Crawford.
In 1839, soon after his arrival in Dayton, Mr. Crawford joined the choir of the First Baptist church, and remained a member thereof for forty years. In 1841 his mind became seriously interested in the subject of religion, and on the 10th of January of that year he joined the church, being baptized with several others by the pastor, Rev. John L. Moore. From that time until the end of his life he was consecrated to the interests of religion and the welfare of his fellow men.
Mr. Crawford was married September 15, 1846, to Miss Melvina Smith, of New Carlisle, Ohio, who had been his schoolmate in Saratoga county, N. Y. She was a daughter of Warren A. and Amanda Smith. She was a graduate of the seminary at Granville, Ohio, and a member of .the Baptist church in New Carlisle. Their married life was an unusually happy one, but doomed to be cut short by her untimely death, which occurred in August, 1847. Three years later Mr. Crawford married Miss Sarah J. Comstock, of Hoosic Falls, N. Y., who had been a teacher of music in the Cooper academy at Dayton, Ohio, when E. E. Barney was principal. Two years after their marriage she died. In 1856 he married Miss Sarah N. Thresher, a daughter of Ebenezer Thresher, and for twenty-four years they lived together a gentle and affectionate life. They gave to their children the benefit of wise, patient and loving counsel, and of a pure and pious example. This wife died in 1880, after a lingering illness, and thus Mr. Crawford was a widower for the third time. The business of his life was, however, not neglected, and his home was under the care of his daughter, Mrs. Charles W. James. Until a few weeks before his death he appeared to be in his usual health, when he became enfeebled by a slow malarial fever, and died November 25, 1887. The funeral services occurred the following Monday in the First Baptist church, and his remains were laid forever to rest in Woodland cemetery.
Mr. Crawford was possessed of remarkable calmness and self-control. On one occasion, when his factory was burning, he was asked: "How can you take it so calmly?" he replied: "It will do no good to fret." On other and more important occasions he was equally self-controlled. He was. nearly always at church twice on Sunday, and a regular attendant at Sunday-school and at prayer-meeting, and always ready to perform his duty to his church and to the community in general. From April, 1866, until the time of his death, he was a deacon in his church, and for several years he was superintendent of the Sunday-school, He always sympathized with the young, and he was one of the trustees of the Young Men's Christian association, as well as of the Widows' home of Dayton. It was a habit of his life to be doing little deeds of kindness, and among the last acts of his life was one of thoughtfulness for the poor. No mistake is made in saying that like Barnabas of old, the "son of consolation," "he was a good man, full of the Holy Ghost and of faith. "
COL. JOHN A. GORGAS [pages 540-541] was born in the city of Philadelphia, Pa., March 18, 1828, and is the son of George and Eliza (Ashton) Gorgas, both natives of the Keystone state and of French and English descent, respectively. The colonel's ancestors, upon both sides, were among the earliest settlers in the vicinity of Philadelphia, and the names appear frequently in the early annals of Germantown and Roxborough. Mrs. Eliza Gorgas died in her native city of Philadelphia, at the age of forty, and her husband departed this life at Newark, N. J., when sixty-three years old. These parents had a family of four sons and four daughters, who reached years of maturity, and two daughters who died in childhood. The eldest of the family, Edmund J., now seventy-eight years of age, was a soldier in the late war and served in the same regiment with his brother, John A.; George Gorgas, the second in order of birth, also served three years in the army and died in 1895, at Bridgeport, Conn.; Robert is living in Philadelphia, and has been a life-long invalid; the sisters are all deceased.
Col. Gorgas received a common-school education and early learned the miller's trade and coachmaking, in both of which he acquired much more than ordinary proficiency. He was successful in business from his earliest venture and was carrying on a very lucrative establishment at the breaking out of the war. Previous to that time, he had been identified with the militia service of his native state, having enlisted in the infantry corps, national guard of Pennsylvania, in 1850. On the reorganization of the corps, as the second regiment national guard of Pennsylvania, in 1860. he was appointed corporal of company C, and later, at the first call of President Lincoln for volunteers for the three months' service, he was promoted first sergeant, company C, Nineteenth Pennsylvania infantry; the regiment, having offered its services, was mustered into the army of the United States in 1861. At the expiration of the term of enlistment, the government having no troops to relieve the Nineteenth, the regiment, on the appeal of Gen. Dix, voted to remain in the service until properly relieved. The colonel was mustered out with his regiment August 29, 1861, and upon its reorganization for the three years' service as the Ninetieth Pennsylvania infantry, September following, he was commissioned first lieutenant of company C.
On the 7th of March, 1862, he was made captain of his company and served as such, taking part with the regiment in all of its many engagements until March, 1863, at which time he resigned his commission on surgeon's certificate of disability. Subsequently, at the call of the governor of Pennsylvania for volunteers, he reentered the service while still suffering from his wounds, and recruited company B, for the Fifty-second Pennsylvania infantry, of which he was commissioned captain, his commission bearing date July 1, 1863. He was mustered out with the regiment September 1st of the same year, and immediately thereafter was instrumental in organizing the One Hundred and Ninety-sixth Pennsylvania, of which he was commissioned and mustered in as major July 2, 1864. He served in this capacity until the 17th day of the following October, when he was mustered out with the regiment, and received special orders to recruit a regiment for the Union legion of Philadelphia. He succeeded in raising 1,500 men in twenty-one days. This regiment was organized and became the Two Hundred and Thirteenth Pennsylvania, and Col. Gorgas was made colonel of the same, and as such was mustered into the service of the United States March 4, 1865. He received orders from the war department to report to the commanding officer at Baltimore, Md., but, the command not being armed, he was unable to comply with the order. After ten companies were armed, he received further orders and transferred two companies of 100 men each, with their officers, to the governor of Pennsylvania, leaving 300 men in excess of the 1,000 required to fill the Two Hundred and Thirteenth, as a nucleus for the organization of the One Hundred and Fourteenth Pennsylvania; with these he reported to the commanding officer at Baltimore, In six weeks this regiment had its full complement of 1,000 men, fully armed and equipped.
The colonel's command was divided; three companies, under Lieut.-Col. Jacob N, Davis, were ordered to Monocacy and Fort Dix, while the remaining companies, under Col. Gorgas, went to Annapolis, Md., to relieve Col. Root, of the Ninety-fourth New York, and Brig.-Gen. Chamberlain at Camp Parole; later, after relieving Brig.-Gen. Graham, of the United States army, Col. Gorgas assumed command of the district of Annapolis, Md. It was a detachment of his regiment that .captured, near Monocacy Junction, Atzeroth, the attempted assassin of Sec. Seward. Col. Gorgas was relieved by Maj. Werrel, of the Two Hundred and Fourteenth Pennsylvania, and ordered to Alexandria, Va., with his regiment, and dismantled the forts at that place and Washington. He was mustered out of the service November 18, 1865, but subsequently, upon the reorganization of the Second regiment, national guard, of Pennsylvania, he enlisted as private in company C; was elected and commissioned captain of company B, September 4, 1867. May 17, 1869, he was commissioned major of the regiment, re-elected to the same position June 5, 1874, and on the 25th of January, 1877, was made lieutenant-colonel. He served with the regiment under Lyie in the Pittsburg riots of 1877, and resigned his commission as lieutenant-colonel in 1880. .. In 1888 the colonel came to the national home, D. V. S., and was soon afterward placed in command of company Eighteen, a position of responsibility, which he still fills. Col. Gorgas possesses rare mechanical skill, and since becoming an inmate of the home, has devoted his leisure to manufacturing various appliances for use in the construction of carriages, one of which is very valuable. His last device is a bicycle lock and holder, recently patented, which, with the appliances above noted, has won him recognition as a mechanical genius of high order.
Col. Gorgas was married in 1852 to Miss Martha Crouse, of Philadelphia, who died in 1882, leaving two sons—John A., Jr., and William L.—the former born while his father was in the army. John A., Jr., is a young man of fine intellectual attainments, a lieutenant in the United States naval reserve, with headquarters at Camden, N. J., and at this time is second in command of the monitor Ajax. He is married and has one child, Josephine, by name. William L. Gorgas is a coach blacksmith at Sharon Hill, Pa. He is married and has a family of two children, both daughters. Col. Gorgas is a member of the I. 0. 0. F., K. of P., I. 0. R. M., and G. A. R, In religion he is a Methodist.
WILLIAM G. HAEUSSLER, [pages 541-542] clerk of the board of education of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, March 30, 1856. His parents, Jacob and Fredericka (Maechtlen) Haeussler, were both natives of Wurtemberg, Germany, and came to the United States in 1848, locating immediately in Cincinnati. There Jacob Haenssler was engaged in the grocery and daily market business for a number of years, gaining wide acquaintance and general respect, and died in his adopted city November 8, l88l. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, taking great interest in religious work. He was an active worker in behalf of the republican party, and was a member of the Odd Fellow fraternity. His widow is now living with her son, William G., in Dayton, Ohio, and is in her seventy-ninth year.
William G. Haeussler was educated in Cincinnati, graduating from the public schools, and at the age of eighteen years entering Nelson's Business college in that city. He graduated from that institution in 1875, and soon after secured a position as bookkeeper for the firm of L. R. Hull & Co., commission merchants of Cincinnati, with whom he remained for some time, and later accepted a similar place with the furniture manufacturing firm of Meyer & Merkle. From this position he went to a similar one, in the employ of Louis & Co., continuing with this firm until 1885, when he came to Dayton, taking charge there of the office of I. & C. Van Ausdal, with whom he remained for six years. He next became the bookkeeper of the Farmers' Friend Manufacturing company, of Dayton, one of the largest manufacturers of farming implements in the country, and was with that company for three years, when the business was purchased by John W. Stoddard & Co. From this time Mr. Haeussler was the general agent of the Home Life Insurance company, of New York, for Dayton and Montgomery county, until April 18, 1895, when he was elected clerk of the board of education of Dayton, which position he still holds.
In each of these responsible positions Mr. Haeussler has been faithful to his trust, holding the confidence of his employers; and in the history of the Dayton schools no board of education has ever enjoyed the services of a clerk more efficient, more industrious or more courteous than the present incumbent of that important office.
Mr. Haeussler was married, May 29, 1879, to Miss Bertha Dornbusch, daughter of Capt. Henry Dornbusch, a pioneer of Dayton. To their marriage there have been born four children, as follows: Bertha; Henry, deceased; William, deceased; and Charles. Fraternally, Mr. Haeussler is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow orders, and religiously he and his wife are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
ERNST ZWICK, [pages 542-545] founder of the Zwick & Greenwald Wheel company, of Dayton, Ohio, was a native of Lobten, province of Schlesien, gubernatorial district of Breslau, Germany, where he was born on June 16, 1822. He was reared to manhood in the old country, where he received his education. In 1852, when thirty years of age, he came to the United States. He landed at New Orleans, and came up the river to Cincinnati. Failing to find employment in Cincinnati he came to Dayton, and here began to learn the wood-turning trade, at which he worked until 1859, when, with his savings, he engaged in business for himself, turning for furniture factories, finally getting into the hub and spoke business, and a few years later was engaged in the manufacture of wheels complete. During the war the firm of Zwick & Bookwalter was organized to carry on the above business, and was succeeded by Zwick, Bookwalter & Kneisly, and that firm was in turn succeeded by Zwick, Kneisly & Co., A. W. Pinneo being the company. The last named firm was succeeded by Zwick, Pinneo & Daniels, which continued ,until 1875, when Mr. Zwick withdrew from it. In 1881Mr. Zwick established the firm of Zwick, Greenwald & Co., manufacturers of wheels, which firm was composed of himself, Jacob Greenwald, who had been with the old firm of Zwick, Pinneo & Daniels as superintendent for more than twenty years, Fred Rogge and Frank Kammann. Mr. Zwick died on November 30, 1888. He was a prominent member of the Regular German Baptist church, and took great interest in church work, he and, his wife having assisted in the organization of the first church of that denomination in Dayton. Mr. Zwick was a devout Christian and devoted to his family and friends. He was of quiet, unassuming disposition, caring nothing for display or public office, and though a strong republican in politics, did not take part in public matters more than to make use of the ballot. In business affairs he was active and alert, progressive and enterprising, always looking to the advancement and building up of the business industries of which he was the head and controlling spirit, and always ambitious to extend and increase their scope. When he came to America he was possessed of neither means nor trade, was already married and had a family, yet when he died he left a competency, all of which had been accumulated by strict business methods, and which was left to his four sons.
Mr. Zwick was married in Berlin, Germany, on June 29, 1849, to Sophie Wilke. Mrs. Zwick was a native of Lichterfelde, near Neustadt, Eberswalde, in the gubernatorial district of Pottsdam, where she was born on April 18, 1819. Her death occurred on January 6, 1888. To Mr. and Mrs. Zwick seven children were born; the first was an only daughter, Sophie, who was born in Berlin, and died on the boat en route from New Orleans to Cincinnati. The other six were boys, all born in Dayton, two of whom died in infancy. The surviving sons, who inherited the father's large interests in the Zwick & Greenwald Wheel company, are Henry, Joseph, Samuel and William.
WlLLIAM W. HACKNEY [pages 545-546] is a general mechanic of the city of Dayton, where he has made his home for many years at 1700 East Third street. He is a son of Montgomery county in this state, the date of his birth being August 27, 1832. He is a son of Josiah D. and Charlotte (Smith) Hackney, his father hailing from New Jersey; his mother was born in eastern Ohio and reared in Randolph township, Montgomery county. The Hackney family is of the old., Quaker stock, and traces its history back to the stirring times of William Penn. The original Hackney emigrants to America came from London, or rather from Hackney, a suburb of that great city. On his mother's side Mr. Hackney traces his family back to German sources, the Smiths having settled in Pennsylvania, where they remained for many years. The maternal great-grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution, and was one of two men spoken of in history as losing their lives when Washington crossed the Delaware to attack the English and Hessians at Trenton. His name is lost to his descendants, but tradition fixes the fact beyond question.
Josiah D. Hackney was a " bound boy " in New Jersey, and ran away, seeking a better and happier life for himself. He came into Montgomery county as early as 1828, crossing the mountains on horseback. He was a stonemason and bricklayer, and found his services in great demand in this new and growing country. He married, in November, 1831, a niece of Dr. Jacob Weybright, a pioneer physician of the county. William W. was the eldest of four children born of his father's first marriage, and of these but two are now living. Charles A. has his home in Kansas City, Mo.; Mary C., the wife of Elias Coates, is dead, and her remains are buried in Darke county, near Gettysburg; Henry Harrison was accidentally killed by falling from a wagon in 1874. The wife and mother died February 25, 1840. The father again married in 1841, his second wife being Miss Catherine Blackburn, who bore him seven children, three being still alive. John Bruff resides in Darke county, Ohio, and Susan Jane is a resident of the same county, being the wife of John Macarter, ex-postmaster of Arcanum; the other sister, Frances, is a resident of this city, and is the wife of William Lehman. Four of this family died either in childhood or infancy. The father died in Saint Mary's, Auglaize county, Ohio, September 19, 1853, to which place he had but recently removed. Many of the most substantial brick houses of the northern part of Montgomery county stand as monuments to his industry.
William W. Hackney received a common-school education, considered very good for the times, at Union, and worked on the farm until he reached the age of twenty. He then apprenticed himself to the gunsmith's trade under the instruction of Henry Sheets, in Union. He followed this trade one year in Union, and three years in Cincinnati, after he had completed his apprenticeship, and came to this city in 1855, and here he has lived continuously for more than forty-one years. He was married in Dayton, January r, 1855, by Rev. Father David Winters, to Miss Isabelle Minick, a native of Fairfield, Ohio. Her parents were Virginians, and she inherited much of the grace and beauty of the best Virginian stock. To this marriage were born a son and a daughter, both of whom are in mature life. The daughter, Mary Virginia, is the wife of Henry S. Fuller, editor of the School, of New York city, and the son, L. W. Edward, is business manager of the same publication; both are residents of New York city. Mrs. Hackney died May 5, 1871, in this city, at the present home of the family. Mr. Hackney remained a widower for nine years, but on June 17, 1880, he married Mrs. Caroline Bowers (nee Lydenberg). She was the widow of John Bowers, and is a daughter of John Lydenberg, born in Greenville, but a resident of this city from the time she was two years of age. One son has come of this marriage, William W., born July 10, 1883. Mrs. Hackney's family is one of the old Knickerbocker stock.
Mr. Hackney has been a life-long democrat, and has served in various official positions in this city, having been land appraiser, assessor, for three terms a member of the school board, and also a member of the board of equalization. His religious affiliations have been along the lines of Universalism, though he has been a member of the Memorial Presbyterian church for many years. He was initiated into the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1863, and has filled all official stations in his local lodge.
WALTER E. HAAS, [pages 546-547] doing business under the firm-name of Walter E. Haas & Co., at No. 20 West Fifth street, Dayton, Ohio, is a native of the city, and was born June 5, 1866, a son of Henry and Christina (Fishbach) Haas. He was educated in the public schools of Dayton, and also at the Miami Commercial college, and early engaged in mechanical drafting and pattern-making, which gave him remunerative employment in his native city for six consecutive years. After having completed the learning of his trades he was first employed by the Callahan Manufacturing company and then by the Buckeye Brass & Iron works, which filled out the period of time mentioned, and next engaged in his present business, succeeding Henry C. Gump February 7, 1894, and in this he has achieved prompt success. He carries a full stock of the best makes of bicycles, including the Crescent, Tribune and Eagle, making of these a specialty, but also handling other makes or brands of wheels. In type-writing machines Mr. Haas makes a specialty of the Blickensderfer, which is probably the lowest-priced first class machine in the world, but other machines for type-writing are also carried by him. He has fully equipped repair shops, and repairs suited for his specialties.
Mr. Haas is a young man of energy and progressive spirit, and is very popular. He is a member of lola lodge, No. 83, Knights of Pythias, and also of Raper Methodist Episcopal church, discharging fully his obligations to both church and society. His residence is in a most pleasant neighborhood, at No. 213 Howard street.
LOUIS P. HAGEDORN, [pages 547-548] member of the city council of Dayton as representative from the Eighth ward, is a native son of this place, born October 5, 1852, and is descended from German ancestors.
The father of our subject was Henry Hagedorn, who was one of the pioneer settlers in Dayton. A native of Germany, he emigrated to America when a young man landing at Baltimore, Md., whence he proceeded to Wheeling, W. Va., from which point he made the overland trip by stage to Saint Louis, Mo. He then took up his residence in Dayton in 1832, and here he devoted his attention to work at his trade, that of blacksmithing, until the time of his death, which occurred
in 1861, He was a man of thorough integrity and honored for his worth of character. His widow survived him until 1884. Her maiden name was Annie M. Wageman, and she, also, was a native of Germany. That her parents were among the pioneers of Dayton may be inferred when it is stated that they here celebrated, in 1866, the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage in this city. Henry and Annie M. Hagedorn became the parents of ten children, four of whom are living at the present time: Josephine is the wife of Anthony Schumackers, of Dayton; Katherine is the wife of Henry Hummeldorf, of Cincinnati; Mary is the wife of John B. Kline, of Elmwood, Ohio; and Louis P. is the subject of this review.
Louis P. Hagedorn received his education in Dayton and Cincinnati, his mother having removed with her family to the latter city after the death of the husband and father. In the meanwhile Louis P. had been fitting himself for the practical duties of life, having learned the upholstering trade, through which he was enabled to earn the requisite money for continuing his education. He completed a course in Bryant & Stratton's Business college in the Queen City and continued to work at his trade in Cincinnati until 1880, when he returned to Dayton, where he entered the employ of M. Ohmer's Sons, with whose establishment he has ever since been identified.
In October, 1895, Mr. Hagedorn was elected to the city council, at a special election which was called to fill the vacancy caused by the death of James B. Wheeler. At the April election in 1896 he was re-elected by one of the largest majorities accorded any candidate on his ticket. In his political adherency he is a stalwart democrat, but in his efforts to further the best interests of the municipality, the element of partisanship has not manifested itself in his official acts. Mr. Hagedorn served as a He was one of the organizers of the member of the decennial appraisement board, to which position he was appointed by the council in 1890. He thus served for a period of about eighteen months, within which time he rendered effective aid in the re-appraisement of every piece of real estate in the city.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Hagedorn is identified with court Cooper, Independent Order of Foresters, and with the Alsace-Lorraine society. He was one of the organizers of the Thurman democratic club, which has wielded considerable influence on political affairs in the city and county.
Mr. Hagedorn has been twice married. His first wife died in May, 1873, and in November, 1895, death again entered his home, taking from him his beloved second wife, who left seven children—Frank, Lillie, Ella, Agnes, Clara, Annie and Ida. In religion Mr. Hagedorn clings to the faith of his fathers, being a devout member of St. Mary's Roman Catholic church.
HUGO COOK, [page 548] a prominent manufacuturer and inventor, of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Dublin, Ind., in 1858, and is the son of Ignatz and Maria (Stuber) Cook, of German extraction. Hugo Cook was educated in the public schools of Indianapolis, and in a technical school in Saint Louis, Mo. He also received instruction in mathematics and surveying from Prof. Stephens, of Indianapolis. After spending about three years in this line, Mr. Cook turned his attention to the manufacture of sewing machines, in which he was engaged for several years, during which time he invented several machines and made various improvements thereon. He is practically the inventor of the first rotary shuttle machine. Following this period, he turned his attention to the invention of automatic machinery, and placed on the market various machines and devices of that character. For several years he manufactured special machinery, and turned out various automatic screw machines; also a successful machine for the manufacture of bicycle spokes, etc. He invented a cash register, a total adding machine, and in the fall of 1888 came to Dayton with his machine and associated himself with the National Cash Register company, for the manufacture of the same. This is today one of the greatest machines of its kind. The above company is manufacturing Mr. Cook's inventions and improvements on the above register, of which there are many. In 1895 a company was organized in Dayton for the purpose of manufacturing gas engines. This company was incorporated with Mr. Cook as president, and Charles A. Craighead and William Kinnard among the directors. The plant is located at No. 1136 East Third street, and the goods manufactured are from the patents of Mr. Cook. He is one of the most skilled and thorough men in the manufacturing business in Dayton; his inventions are practical and much sought after, and are covered by many patents. He enjoys a reputation in the business world for progressiveness and enterprise, coupled with integrity and sound business principles. Mr. Cook is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Knight Templar and a member of Reed commandery. He was married, in 1879, to Miss Maria Wilmer. He resides at Oakwood, where he has an experimental shop, in which he spends a large portion of his time.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page