REV. EZEKIEL LIGHT, D.D., [pages 644-647] chaplain for the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, at Dayton, Ohio, was born in Lebanon, Pa., March 19, 1834.
Rev. John Light, his father, was born in 1802, was a minister of the United Brethren church, and during his mature years served in the itinerancy or as presiding elder, and died in 1845, Rev. John Light's father, Felix Light, was a Mennonite preacher, but without any special church connection. He was of Swiss descent, but of American nativity, and was a son of John Light, who was born in Switzerland.
To John Light and his wife, Nancy Hoffer, there were born four children beside Ezekiel, viz: Rudolph, a clergyman of Erie, Pa.; Stephen, a stove-founder of Lebanon, Pa.; Job, a clergyman for over twenty years, and who suddenly died at Reading, Pa., December, 1888; Louisa, who is married to Levi Light, a carriagemaker of Lebanon.
Ezekiel Light lived in his native city until about twenty years of age, and there received his early education; he then lived in Dayton, Ohio, until the outbreak of the Rebellion, when he returned to his native state, entered the One Hundred and Seventy-third regiment, Pennsylvania volunteer infantry, as chaplain, and served nine months in the army of the Potomac. After his service in the army he resumed his ministerial labors in Lebanon, and also edited the German literature of his church in that city, where he had charge of the United Brethren congregation. In 1885 he returned to Dayton, where, for some time, he edited the German literature for the publishing house of his church, and also officiated for the German worshipers at the soldiers' home, and in May, 1893, was re-elected editor of the German literature of the U. B. publishing house of Dayton. In August, 1893, he was appointed to his present position as chaplain to the inmates of the home. His duties here include the teaching of a Sunday-school, preaching in English on Sunday at 10 A. M. , and in German at 2 P. M.; a gospel service at 3 p. M., largely conducted by the Christian workers of Dayton, and services again by the chaplain at 6:30 P. M.; regular prayer meetings, in English, are held every Wednesday, and in German every Thursday evening, and in the fall and winter additional gospel services are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The marriage of Rev. Dr. Light took place at Lebanon, Pa., September 24, 1863, with Miss Kate A. Bowman, a native of that city, and this union has resulted in the birth of eight children, viz: John J. B., who is a farmer, in Benton county, Ark.; Alvin L., a medical student, living under the home roof; S. Rudolph, a graduate of the Dayton high school, and a student of electrical dentistry; Wilson H., now in his third year at the high school; Annie F., at home with her father; Jennie L., the wife of Rev. Luther 0. Burtner, a missionary, and now with her husband in Africa; Tacie M., an organist of the home church, and Matilda M., at home, a literary student.
In politics Rev. Dr. Light was an ardent anti-slavery man, and at one time, while stationed at Cleveland, Ohio, he used his church as a rendezvous for fugitive slaves escaping to Canada, From the organization of the republican party until recently he was active in its ranks, but is now a prohibitionist and a zealous laborer in the cause of that organization.
REV. MICHAEL LOUCKS, D. D. [pages 647-649] is a native of Fairfield county, Ohio, and is a son of Samuel and Christina Loucks. He was born near Canal Winchester, Ohio, May 28, 1850, and his boyhood days were spent on the farm and about the old mill on Walnut creek. His early education was had in the district school. He was baptized in his infancy by Rev. I. S. Weisz. His father died when he was twelve years of age. September 25, 1865, he entered Heidelberg college, at Tiffin, Ohio. He attended catechetical instruction under Rev. L. H. Kefauver, D. D., pastor of the First Reformed church of Tiffin, Ohio, and was confirmed by the same pastor, April 11, 1868. Thus he became a member of the Reformed church, the denomination to which his father and mother belonged—which church dates its origin to the time of the reformation under the teaching and preaching of the great reformer of Switzerland, Ulric Zwingli. This church has an honorable history of nearly four hundred years. The symbol of faith is the Heidelberg catechism, issued in 1563. One of the institutions of learning of this church is located at Tiffin, Ohio, where Mr. Loucks pursued a regular classical course, graduating in 1871.
Two years were spent in the Theological seminary under the instruction of Dr. J. H. Good and Dr. H. Rust, two eminent professors of the school of the Prophets. He was examined, licensed and ordained at a meeting of the Ohio synod of the Reformed church at Shelbyville, Ill., May 18, 1873. He received and accepted an unanimous call from Grace Reformed church at Akron, Ohio, and preached his first sermon as pastor at Akron, June 1, 1873. At that time Grace Reformed church was a struggling congregation and passed through trying ordeals. Dr. Loucks labored here from June 1, 1873, till April 11, 1875, when he received and accepted a call from the Church of the Cross at Somerset, Ohio, preaching his first sermon as pastor, July 4, 1875. He labored here until December 21, 1879, when he closed his labors to accept a call from the Valley charge, in the vicinity of Dayton, composed of David's and Hawker's churches, originally a part of Mount Zion charge, under the pastorate of Rev. D. Winters, D. D. He preached his introductory sermon in these two churches, January 11, 1880. He labored in this charge until January 1, 1885, when, owing to throat affection, he ceased preaching for several years.
In February, 1882, Dr. Loucks purchased the interest belonging to Rev. I. H. Reiter, D. D., in the Christian World, a weekly religious paper, the organ of the Reformed church in the west, which was established in 1849, and in connection with his pastorial work also devoted part of his time to the editorial work of the paper, in company with Rev. E. Herbruck. In the spring of 1882, the Reformed Publishing company was organized, with Rev. E. Herbruck, Rev. M. Loucks and John Blum constituting the members of the firm. Under this arrangement the business was successfully carried on until 1894, when Rev. Herbruck sold his interest to the other members of the firm, and Rev. Loucks assumed full editorial management of the Christian World, which position he still occu pies. In the winter of 1882, he issued his Church Register, which has had a large sale.
In 1884 Dr. Loucks, in company with Dr. G. W. Williard and his son, Rev. E. R. Williard, and Rev. E. Herbruck, issued the popular book, A Treasury of Family Reading.
He has been honored by being a member of the board of regents, of Heidelberg university, the board of visitors, and also a member of the board of trustees of Heidelberg Theological seminary, of which he is the secretary. Beside these he has held various other responsible positions in his church, where most of his time is devoted. The honorary degree of doctor of divinity was conferred on him by his alma mater, June 17, 1891.
In 1891 Dr. Loucks published a very unique chart of the History of Christianity from the Apostolic Period to and including the Protestant Reformation. This chart is in the form of a tree, giving a correct and interesting bird's-eye view of the growth and development of the Christian church through those important periods of its formation. For several years after the publication of this chart his services were called for as a lecturer on church history. These lectures were instructive and interesting, as he took his audience through the thrilling incidents connected with the early history of the Christian church.
The ancestors of Dr. Loucks came to this country from Europe in the seventeenth century. His father, Samuel Loucks, was a native of York county, Pa., the son of John Loucks, who, with his family, settled in Violet township, Fairfield county, in the early part of the century. Samuel Loucks died October 18, 1862, in his sixty-sixth year. Dr. Loucks' mother, Christina Loucks, was the daughter of Michael Alspach. She lived to the old age of eighty-eight years, the date of her death being November 22, 1894. Dr. Loucks was the youngest of a family of nine children, most of whom died in their infancy, leaving himself with his only brother, George Loucks, and his only sister, Mrs. Catherine Shade, both of the vicinity of Canal Winchester, Ohio. November 4, 1873, he was united in marriage with Miss Katie Stevenson, of Canal Winchester, Ohio. This proved a most happy union, as Mrs. Loucks possessed unusual talents and qualifications as a minister's wife, and it was largely through her influence and force of Christian character that his work was rendered pleasant and profitable. To her he ascribes far more than to himself what good may have been done by them in their work and service in the church. To them were born five children. Nevin Alpheus was born December 23, 1874, at Akron, Summit county, Ohio; Edgar Vincent was born September 15, 1877, in Somerset, Perry county, Ohio; Ethel Gertrude was born March 29, 1882, in Washington township, Montgomery county, near Dayton, Ohio; Samuel Bryant was born January 2, 1884, in Dayton, and Mary Christina was born August 29, 1887, in Dayton. Thus a happy family surrounded these parents until December 8, 1896, when the faithful, pious and devoted mother was called away by death, a brief notice of whose active life is here tenderly recorded, as written by her pastor:
Sarah C., wife of Rev. M. Loucks, was born near Canal Winchester, Ohio, October 24, 1855, and died peacefully December 8, 1896, aged forty-one years, one month and fourteen days. Having Christian parents, she was given to the Lord in the sacred covenant of baptism before she was five months old, under the ministry of Rev. Hennawald. At the age of twelve, Rev. James Heffley admitted her into full membership with the David's Reformed church by confirmation. Her active Christian life began to develop at once. God had endowed her with rare musical gifts, which she consecrated to his service early, taking an active part in the public worship of the sanctuary; and her delight in singing the praises of God seemed to increase as the years passed. While but a child herself, she began work with the children, training them for the Master and for usefulness in his church. Although her talents were varied above most of us, in this responsible and difficult work with the little ones, she seemed to exercise her best gift. Her father was taken away in her infancy, and her mother two years ago last summer. Her five children, over whom she rejoiced and for whom she lived as a true Christian mother, remain with the husband and many other relatives and friends to mourn their loss.
But the church is bereaved also. Mrs. Loucks was gifted with the ability to lead, and so held executive positions in the woman's work of the classes and synod, and in the general religious work of Dayton. She possessed varied talents, and none of them were laid away in a napkin. In all the manifold work of Trinity Reformed church she had a part. At the time of her death she was superintendent of the primary department in the Bible-school, president of the Woman's Missionary society, superintendent of the junior endeavor work and actively associated with the other organizations of the church. The King's Daughters always found a valued friend and advisor in Mrs. Loucks, and no one in the congregation has done more for the young men than did she. While her chief energies were given the children, there was place in her heart for all the work. Beside her duties at home and in organized Christian effort, she found time to visit and help the needy and unfortunate. Of those who feel the keen loss of a true friend, none are to be regarded before the poor, who have shared so largely in her sympathy and substantial benefactions. Indeed, we know of no good work in which she was not deeply interested. Happy is the servant of Christ who has such a co-laborer. No work of hand or brain or heart was ever a hardship for her. She knew no such thing as toil—only joyful, happy service. To her duty was always privilege and all work an opportunity. Life was an inspiration, because of the good to be done. Loving surrender to the will of the Master and unselfish interest in human souls is the secret of it all.
Mrs. Loucks has built her own monument, not in brass or marble, not in the vain pleasures of the earth, not in the ways of wealth and position; but in humble human hearts, where she sought to represent and reproduce the life of the meek and lowly Nazarene. She has gone, but there abides with us a sweet memory—a communion and fellowship with Christ which cannot be broken.
SAMUEL MAROW LOGAN, [pages 649-650] a well-known citizen of Dayton, Ohio, and now living in retirement at No. 417 West First street, was born in Washington county, Md., March 28, 1828, a son of John M. and Mary (Widdis) Logan. The father, also a native of Washington county, Md., was born in 1790, of Scotch-Irish ancestry; and was for many years a school-teacher, but retired about fifteen years prior to his death, which occurred in Topeka, Kans., in 1864. Mrs. Mary (Widdis) Logan was a native of Frederick county, Md., born in 1793, was of German extraction, and died in her native county at the age of forty years.
Of the family of nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. John M. Logan, four only are now living, viz: Samuel M., who was the only representative of the family in the Union army during the Civil war; David, who lives in Pittsburg, Pa.; Jeremiah, who is a resident of Arkansas City, Kans.; and Catherine, wife of Edwin Scott, who is a resident of Ithaca, N. Y. Of the five deceased, all reached mature years and were named, in the order of their birth, James, John. Daniel, Thomas, and Elizabeth (Mrs. Williams), who died in Ithaca, N. Y. James was a successful inventor, and died in England, while attending to his interests; John, was a farmer in Pennsylvania; Daniel, was a weaver, and died in Ithaca, N. Y.; and Thomas, an attorney of Kansas, died in Saint Louis, Mo., in 1894.
Samuel Marow Logan was educated in the academy of Hagerstown, Md., and was reared on a farm in his native state. He learned coach painting in Gettysburg, Pa., and in this calling traveled extensively through the eastern states, and then came west, finally, in 1852, settling in Dayton, Ohio, where he engaged in carriage manufacturing in 1853, and followed this. vocation four years. He then sold his business and became a pupil of Charles Soule, an artist of great merit, for the purpose of learning the art of portrait painting.
In 1862, Mr. Logan enlisted in company I, Ninety-third Ohio volunteer infantry, and soon afterward was promoted orderly sergeant of his company. He saw some service in Kentucky, and took an active part in the battles of Antioch Church, Tenn., and of Murfreesboro, Tenn. In the latter engagement he was twice wounded in the right arm, which injuries incapacitated him for further service, and he was honorably discharged, by reason of disability, May 3, 1863. On his return to Dayton he engaged with I. M. Cochrane as traveling sewing-machine salesman, and was thus employed until 1874, when he became manager of agencies for the Champion Machine company, of Springfield, Ohio, with whom he remained for sixteen years, traveling through the south and west. Since 1890 he has lived in retirement, as before stated, enjoying the fruits of his early industry.
The marriage of Mr. Logan took place in Dayton, October 3, 1854, to Miss Lovinia Bowman, a native of Pennsylvania, and this union has been blessed by the birth of three daughters, viz: Lillie C., who makes her home with her parents; Minnie, now the wife, of Dr. Driscoll, a practicing physician of Kansas; Katie E., who is married to Harry S. Ohmer, and also lives in Kansas.
Mr. Logan is a stanch republican in politics. In religion he is independent of church alliance, being a free thinker, although reared in the Lutheran faith. His societary relations are confined to his membership with Old Guard post, No. 21, Grand Army of the Republic. He has made many warm friends in his extensive travels, but he is nowhere more highly esteemed than he is by his numerous friends in Dayton.
E. B. LYON, [pages 650-653] of Dayton, Ohio, is a native of Chaplin, Windham county, Conn.; was born on the 17th of December, 1840, and is a son of John W. and Sarah (Hagar) Lyon. When he was about ten years of age his parents removed to Massachusetts, and in that state he received the greater part of his education.
E. B. Lyon enlisted, October 3, 1861, as a member of company K, Twenty-fourth Massachusetts volunteer infantry, and was in active service until October 8, 1864, when he was mustered out at Chapin's farm, having participated in twenty-four engagements, aside from numerous skirmishes. After the close of the war he came to Ohio and located in Dayton, where he has since made his home, and where he has secured the esteem and confidence of the community. Upon his arrival here he secured employment in a paper mill, where ha remained about a year, after which he became an attaché of the freight department of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad. In 1868 he engaged in the manufacture of trunk supplies and excelsior, laying at that time the foundation for his present prosperous enterprise, whose business extends into the most diverse sections of the Union, and also into foreign countries. The industry had a very modest inception, and was the first of the sort ever projected in Dayton. But business sagacity, correct methods and personal integrity, coupled with unceasing and well-directed labor, did not fail of their reward. The well-equipped plant occupies about an acre of ground, while the buildings and mechanical accessories are of the most available order, so that the work of production is facilitated in every department. The principal products of the establishment are trunk slats and handles, and the output of the manufactory finds a ready demand in the domestic and foreign markets. Employment is given to a body of about thirty-five skilled workmen. In 1891 Mr. Lyon began the manufacture of excelsior, and this branch of the business has come into equal favor.
In politics Mr. Lyon renders an unswerving allegiance to the republican party, and has served acceptably as a member of the city council. On the 12th of March, 1891, he was appointed postmaster of the city of Dayton, this office having been tendered him without solicitation, and in face of the fact that there were several avowed candidates in the field. Within the time of his incumbency of this office he instituted many improvements in the service, among which may be noted the establishment of the night collection service and the utilization of special mail wagons. The annual business of the office was increased by some $60,000, and his administration gave exceptional satisfaction to the public, gaining him endorsement from all classes, irrespective of party affiliations.
In his fraternal associations Mr. Lyon is conspicuously identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, being a member of Old Guard post, No. 23, in which he has passed all the chairs, having also served on the staff of the commander of both state and national departments. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor.
On the 4th of April, 1866, Mr. Lyon was united in marriage to Miss Ella M. Broadwell, a native of Dayton, but whose death occurred in 1881. In 1883 he married Miss Sarah B. Broadwell, a sister of his first wife, but death's summons called her into eternal rest in 1892. On the 24th of May, 1894, Mr. Lyon consummated a third union, being then joined in matrimony to Mary A. McQuiston, who is the daughter of the Hon. John F. Patton, ex-member of the Ohio legislature, and founder of the Xenia Gazette. Three daughters were born of the first marriage, viz: Ella H., who is her father's capable assistant in conducting the detail office work of his business; Sarah B., wife of Dr. 0. W. Lounsbury, and Bessie W., deceased. Mrs. M. A. Lyon, who enjoys a wide popularity in the social circles of Dayton, was the department president of the Ohio Woman's Relief Corps in 1891-2, and is now (1896) assistant national inspector on the staff of Mrs. Turner, of Boston, Mass.
In his long business career in Dayton Mr. Lyon has so conducted his affairs and so lived as to gain the esteem and respect of the people of the community. He has been enterprising, public-spirited and progressive, and his interest in the advancement of the material prosperity of the city has been manifested in a practical way, as he has been the pioneer in building, both for residence and manufacturing plants, in the east end.
COL. WILLIAM McCLELLAN, [pages 653-654] clerk in the commissary department of the national military home at Dayton, Ohio, was born in Germantown, Pa., July 13, 1842, and is a son of William and Mary (Giilespie) McClellan, both of Scotch-Irish extraction. The father died when subject was but two years of age, and the mother, who never remarried, survived until 1893, when she expired in the Baptist home at Philadelphia, aged eighty-six years, the mother of two sons and two daughters, of which family the colonel is the only survivor. Thomas, his brother, was killed in the battle of Gettysburg; his elder sister, Elizabeth, died at twenty-nine years of age, and the younger sister, Anna, died when thirty-four years old. Both sisters had married, but left no children.
Col. McClellan was educated at Girard college, Philadelphia, and was then apprenticed to a whipmaker in Wellsville, York county, Pa., being thus engaged when the Civil war opened. On May 8, 1861, he enlisted in company H, Seventh Pennsylvania infantry, known during the Rebellion as one of the regiments of the Pennsylvania reserves. He went through the peninsular campaign under Gen. George B. McClellan, his brigade at the time being in command of Gen. George G. Meade. Later, after the promotion of Gen. Meade, Gen. McCandless was placed in command of the brigade, Gen. Crawford's division and Gen. Reynold's corps. Col. McClellan fought in all of the battles in which the army of the Potomac took part, with two exceptions. He was at second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg, and also at the surrender of Gen. Robert E. Lee, having enlisted a second time, in 1863. Of his original company of 101 men, chiefly students and professional men, but eleven are now living.
After the war was ended Col. McClellan was employed on the Philadelphia & Reading railroad for fifteen years, when, on account of failing health, he came to the soldiers' home, in 1881, and was here employed fourteen years as timekeeper, until the spring of 1896, when he resigned because of the great responsibility of the position, and entered the commissary department as clerk.
Col. McClellan was married in Chester, Pa., in 1868, to Miss Emma Morris, the union resulting in the birth of five children, of whom two are now deceased. The survivors are William, Jr., a young man of twenty-six years and foreman of the tool-room of the Computing Scales works, of Dayton;. George, eighteen years old, who is in the employ of the same company; and Mary, aged seven years, who is attending school. The two deceased were Mamie, who died at nine years, and Anna, who died when but three months old. On entering the home, the colonel brought with him his family, as he was furnished a residence by the management on account of his official position; but since the past spring the family have lived at No. 1637 West Second street, in Dayton. Col. McClellan was one of the organizers of encampment No. 82, Union Veteran Legion, and was honored by being elected its colonel for three successive terms. He is also a member of Dister post, Grand Army of the Republic, and his religions affiliation is with the First Reformed church of Dayton, of which his sons are also members. In politics he is a stanch republican.
SAMUEL B. McDERMONT, [pages 654-655] senior member of the firm of McDermont & Clemens, of Dayton, Ohio, which firm does a large business in gas-fitting, plumbing, etc., was born in Newark, N. J., January 19, 1.85.3. He was educated in the public schools of his native city, and there also served an apprenticeship at plumbing. In the fall of 1875 he came to Dayton, Ohio, and here worked for Gibbons & McCormick until 1889, when he united in the business with F. J. McCormick. This co-partnership lasted until 1894, attaining during its existence a large degree of prosperity. In the year last mentioned Mr. McCormick withdrew, and Frank C. Clemens became the business associate of Mr. McDermont. The firm, as now constituted, gives constant employment to about thirty men, and carries a full line of supplies in all departments, both for their own use and for sale to minor firms engaged in the same line of trade.
David McDermont, father of the subject of this memoir, was a chair manufacturer of Newark, N. J., and for ten years carried on business at No. 414 Broad street, and there died at the early age of thirty years. David McDermont was a son of Peter McDermont, whose parents came from the north of Ireland; Peter also carried on chairmaking in Newark for many years. David McDermont married Miss Eliza Hughes, a native of Dingman's Ferry, N. Y., and of Welsh ancestry. Mrs. McDermont died in 1871, the mother of Samuel B. and two other children—Sergeant L., who is a well-known optician of Canton, Stark county, Ohio, and Frances, who was married to John G. Gillespie, in Narrowsburg, N. Y., but who died in Equinox, N. Y., while her husband died in Middletown, in the same state.
Samuel B. McDermont was united in marriage in Troy, Ohio, in 1881, with Miss Augusta E, Braunschweiger, a native of Troy and of German parentage. One child, only, has blessed this union—a daughter named Hannah, and now a bright little girl, aged seven years. In politics, Mr. McDermont for a long time followed the fortunes of the democratic party, but at present prefers, in local matters, to vote for the honest and capable man who will act for the best interests of his constituents. He is, therefore, to be ranked as independent, as far as politics is concerned. He is, however, a member of the democratic organization known as the Jackson club, and also occupies his leisure hours as a member of a social and literary club. In religion he was reared in the faith of the Presbyterian church, but his wife still adheres to the faith in which she was reared, that of the German Lutheran, and is now a member of the Third street church, of that denomination, in Dayton. Mr. McDermont has always been a man of industry and thrift, and through his own exertions has raised himself to his present independent position in business life. His name stands without a stain, and he is honored and highly esteemed by all who know him, either in business or social circles.
CHARLES MACGREGOR, M. D., [pages 655-656] of Dayton, Ohio, was born in the city of Baltimore, Md., on the 22d of November, 1868, being the son of Robert and Laura (Winters) MacGregor, of Scotch and German descent. The father died in the prime of his strong and useful manhood, passing away in January, 1877, when our subject was a lad of but nine years. Robert and Laura MacGregor were the parents of two children, Robert W. and Charles. Robert is a resident of Dayton, and is recognized as one of the progressive and influential business men of the city. The mother is still living and maintains her home in Dayton, where she is the recipient of the utmost filial devotion from her sons. The family took up their abode in Dayton soon after the death of the father, and here Charles continued his studies in the public schools, after which he entered the Michigan Military academy, at Orchard Lake, Oakland county, where he remained until October, 1886, when he matriculated in the medical department of Michigan's famous university, at Ann Arbor. He there prosecuted his technical studies with zealous interest, graduating as a member of the class of 1889.
This would have represented a complete education to the average young man thus aiming to enter professional life, but Dr, MacGregor's ambition was such that he could consent to accept as final nothing less than the most complete preparation and reinforcement attainable. Accordingly, he went to New York city, in 1890, and there entered the college of Physicians & Surgeons, a department of Columbia university, completing his post-graduate course and graduating in the year noted. Practical and effective experience was his for the ensuing year, during which he served as assistant surgeon at the national soldiers' home, in Dayton. In 1892 he returned to New York and for several months devoted his undivided attention to the study of diseases of the eye and ear, prosecuting his work in this line in the New York Eye & Ear infirmary. In the fall of the same year he was enabled to go abroad for the purpose of profiting by study of foreign methods and investigations, having secured privileges in certain of the most renowned medical institutions of Europe. Dr. MacGregor was in Vienna, Austria, until the summer of 1893, when he proceeded to Munich, where he studied and carried forward his observations in the leading hospitals and colleges during a period of six months. He then returned to Vienna and there passed an equal length of time, returning to his home in Dayton in the spring of 1894, thoroughly equipped for the successful practice of his profession, with special reference to diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, which class of disorders had been the particular subject of his foreign study. He has built up a very excellent practice in his special lines and has established a high reputation for professional ability and excellence of personal character. It has been proved in his case that the old-time hostility against the young man in the medical profession has grown obsolete, and that honor is granted where honor is due—even in face of the once humiliating characteristic of youthfulness. Dr. MacGregor's office is located at 29 South Ludlow street, while he resides at 314 West Second street. He holds the position of oculist and aurist on the medical staff of the Deaconess hospital. In his political adherency he is identified with the republican party, while socially he enjoys a merited popularity in the city of his home, being genial in disposition and endowed with that never-failing courtesy so essential to the successful physician.
W. D. McKEMY, [pages 656-659] a prominent member of the Dayton bar, was born in Rockbridge county, Va., February 14, 1843, and is a son of William and Elizabeth (Kirkpatrick) McKemy. Originally the family on both sides came from the north part of Ireland, the McKemys being Irish and the Kirkpatricks, Scotch. John McKemy, the grandfather of W. D. McKemy, was the first of his family to come to the United States, he coming when a youth and settling in Virginia, where he lived the rest of his life. By occupation he was a farmer and served in the war of 1812. His son, William, was born in Virginia and lived there all his life. William's wife was also a native of Virginia, in which state she lived and died. She and her husband were the parents of eight children, but two of whom are still living, a daughter in Colorado, and our subject, W. D. McKemy.
Judge McKemy was reared on his father's farm in Rockbridge county, Va., receiving such education as was afforded in that country. He remained there until 1866, in the meantime serving in the Confederate army from August 5, 1861, until June 30, 1865, as a member of company H, Twenty-fifth regiment, Virginia volunteer infantry, which formed a part of Stonewall Jackson's brigade and division, being present when that general was killed. In the battle of the Wilderness, May 12, 1864, young McKemy was captured, taken to Point Lookout, Md., and later was transferred to Elmira, N. Y., where he remained until his final discharge, in June, 1865.
In 1866 he removed from Virginia to Darke county, Ohio, and in the spring of 1868 located in Dayton. His education was continued after the war in the common schools at his home in Virginia, and after coming to Ohio, he attended the high school at Greenville, and graduated there in 1867, afterward teaching school for a year or two. He then took a position as deputy clerk to the probate judge of Darke county, and, after his removal to Dayton, acted in a similar capacity under Judge Dwyer. For three years he was deputy recorder under Johnson Snyder, and later was deputy sheriff and bookkeeper for two years and a half under Sheriff Patton. Next he was deputy under H. H. Laubach, county treasurer, for three years. While in the treasurer's office, in 1877, he was admitted to the bar, and in 1878 was a candidate for probate judge, but in the election was defeated by a majority of only a few votes. He then began the practice of the law, and three years later was again a candidate for the same office, was elected and served three consecutive terms of three years each. At the expiration of his term in 1890 he returned to the law and has since been engaged in practice.
Since retiring from the office of probate judge he has served for four years as a member of the county board of elections, and is now a member of the city board. Fraternally, he is a member of the Odd Fellows, of the Chosen Friends, of the Improved Order of Red Men, of the Fraternal Censer and of the A. 0. U. W., Miami lodge. Since 1894 he has been in partnership with J. M. Nutt, in the practice of the law.
Judge McKemy was married in March, 1873, to R. Florence Haise, of Union City, Randolph county, Ind., by whom he is the father of three children: Gertrude L., John W., and Harry G. He and his family are among the most highly esteemed citizens of Dayton, thoroughly loyal to both friends and country.
JOHN W. McKEOWN, [pages 659-660] one of the prominent young members of the Dayton bar, was born in Adams county, Ohio, December 28, 1854. Until he was six years old his parents lived in Mansfield and Crestline, Ohio, after which they removed to Adams county, and there he remained until attaining his majority. His elementary education was secured by attending district schools in the winter months, in his native county. He afterward attended the national normal university at Lebanon, Ohio, conducted by Mr. Holbrook. Beside this he attended a number of local normal sessions in his own county, and in several of them assisted in teaching.
In 1876 Mr. McKeown began teaching school in his native county, first in country districts, and then in the public schools of West Union and Manchester. All of the money needed to pay for his own education he earned by teaching school and in working at $13 per month, receiving no pecuniary aid from any source. During a portion of the time covered by the above recital he served as school examiner for Adams county, being the youngest examiner ever appointed there. In 1883 he removed to Warren county and there taught school in country districts, and was afterward superintendent of the Springboro public schools, retaining this position for five years. Mr. McKeown was next the superintendent of the Arnanda public schools for one year, 1889-90, after which he returned to Springboro, and remained there as superintendent of the public schools for three years more. While in the latter place he secured a ten years' state certificate as a teacher.
Mr. McKeown was married, in 1890, to Miss Elizabeth Michel, a daughter of Dr. R. B. Michel, of Montgomery county, Ohio. They have two sons, Stuart E. and Robert Bruce. During the last three years of his teaching, Mr. McKeown spent his leisure hours in reading law and entered the Cincinnati Law college, from which he graduated in 1894. In August, of that year, he located in Dayton with the view of practicing law. Opening an office he has since continued in active practice, with gratifying success for the short time in which he has been so engaged.
WILLIAM C. MARSHALL, M. D., [page 660] physician and surgeon of Dayton, with office at the northeast corner of Third and Broadway streets, was born in Lexington, McLean county, Ill., July 7, 1859. He is a son of Robert F. and Agnes (Elder) Marshall, both now residents of Yellow Springs, Ohio. Robert F. Marshall is a retired farmer and stock-raiser, and the family are of much more than ordinary intellectual ability and influence.
William C. Marshall is of German, English and Scotch descent. He was educated in the public schools of Clarke county, and later attended Wittenberg college, at Springfield, Ohio, and graduated from Antioch college, at Yellow Springs, in 1886. His first study of medicine was with Dr. J. M. Harris, of Yellow Springs, after which he attended the Ohio Medical college at Cincinnati, graduating with the class of 1890. For a short time he was in practice with his preceptor, at Yellow Springs, Ohio, and then located at Trotwood, Montgomery county, where he remained until January 29, 1895. He removed to Dayton, where he has since been engaged in the general practice of medicine and surgery. He is a member of the Montgomery county Medical society and of the Ohio state Medical association. He is a member of Yellow Springs lodge, No. 279, I. 0. 0. F,, and of the Independent Order of Foresters. Dr. Marshall was appointed physician to the county infirmary and was reappointed in 1896. Politically he is a republican, and in religious belief a Presbyterian.
In his early life Dr. Marshall engaged in school-teaching, for two years after graduating, and the money thus earned went to defray his expenses at college. He is one of the rising young members of the medical fraternity. and is meeting with gratifying success. He belongs to the Present Day club of Dayton, and also to the Garfield club, standing high in all the orders and societies of which he is a member.
LIEUT. JOHN MARSHALL, [pages 660-663] deceased, "the hero of Lookout Mountain," was born in Paisley, Scotland, June 22, 1815, received a good common-school education, and at the age of nineteen years married his first wife. At the same age he entered the British army as an artillery-man, served nine years, and during this time was stationed on many of the islands and in several of the provinces subject to the British crown, including the dominion of Canada.
In 1847 Mr. Marshall came to Dayton, Ohio, and two years later was called to mourn the death of his wife. In 1850 he wedded Miss Emily Thomas, a native of Zanesville, Ohio, who came to Dayton with her parents when she was but six years of age, and who still survives. She is a daughter of Evan Owen and Jane (Maze) Thomas, the former a native of Wales, born in 1795; at the age of twenty years he came to the United States, located near Delaware, Ohio, and there married Mrs. Jane (Maze) Hahnaman, a native of Zanesville, and in the fall of 1838 came to Dayton. To this marriage there were born eight children, viz: Mrs. Eliza J. Feicht; Emily, now Mrs. Marshall; Mrs. Martha Bartelle (of Browntown, Ohio); Mrs. Laura Baker (deceased); William H., who died suddenly of heart disease in middle life; Harvey, now deceased; Evan Owen, present market-master of Dayton; and John W., who had been eighteen years a locomotive engineer, and was killed in a wreck near Xenia, Ohio. To her first husband, John Hahnaman, the mother of Mrs. Marshall had borne three daughters, who are still living, viz: Mrs. Matilda Shamo, of Louisville, Ky.; Mrs. Susan Rodkey, of Wichita, Kans., and a twin sister of Susan; Mary, who married a cousin, named Maze, and is now a widow. To John and Emily (Thomas) Marshall were born a son and a daughter, viz: John W., who has been in the employ of Heathman & Co., cracker bakers, for the past twenty-seven years, and Maggie D., who is married to Frank E. Rouzer, a traveling salesman for a Columbus wholesale firm, and has had four children, all now deceased. The father of Mrs. Marshall was a weaver by trade, and came to Dayton as superintendent of a carpet factory, and later carried on the same business on his own account; both he and his wife died in Dayton, the latter at seventy-six years of age, and their remains lie interred in Woodland cemetery.
Mrs. Emily (Thomas) Marshall has been a member of the First Baptist church of Dayton for the past fifty years, being one of the oldest, in point of membership, of that congregation; she is also chaplain of the Old Guard, G. A. R., Woman's Relief corps, of which she was a charter member.
John Marshall, whose name opens this biography, at the first call to arms at the opening of the great Rebellion, promptly offered his services as a Union soldier, and subsequently distinguished himself for his patriotism, soldierly coolness, bravery and ability. He first enlisted in company G, Eleventh Ohio volunteer infantry, for three months, and at the close of this term re-entered the army as a private in company E, Twenty-fourth Ohio, with which he served until the termination of the war. Immediately after the battle of Shiloh he was commissioned lieutenant for a special act of gallantry on that field. Battery M, Fifth regiment, United States artillery, being in distress, Mr. Marshall volunteered, and was permitted by his officers to go to its relief; here his past experience as an artillerist came into play and he saved the guns. This act is a matter of record in the archives of the war department at Washington, D. C. Subsequently, however, Lieut. Marshall achieved even greater feats of soldierly bravery.
In October and November, 1863, Hooker's army lay in the valley overlooked by Lookout mountain, which, in the latter month, was so gallantly stormed. Right on a spur of this mountain the rebel signal corps had established a flag station. From this point all of Gen. Hooker's movements could be seen, and intelligence immediately telegraphed by means of the signal flag to Gen. Bragg. It will be seen how important was the station to the enemy and how desirable to the Union forces that it be destroyed or swept away. Across the Tennessee river, at Moccasin Point, the sixteen pound Rodman guns of the Eighteenth Ohio battery were planted. John Marshall's promotion had made him a lieutenant of this battery. He could see that flaunting flag of the rebel signal station as it waved its intelligence of the movements of the Union army day by day, and it taunted him. He knew that he could cut it down with one of the Rodman guns, but his captain frowned on his presumption in pretending to know more than his superior officers. Gen. Branum, chief of artillery of the army of the Cumberland, had said that it could not be done. The removal of the flag was considered an impossibility, though very desirable, and so reported after a careful examination of the surroundings, by Gens. Hooker and Branum, Col. Barnett and Maj. Mendenhall. They came to the conclusion that it was impossible to train a gun upon it. John Marshall watched the calculations with interest, and when the decision was announced he stepped up to Gen. Branum, and, touching his cap in salute, said, "General, if you will give me permission to try, I think I can shoot that flag off there." The general looked at him sternly a moment, and then said: "Go to your quarters, sir, under arrest."
But this was not the end. The Eighteenth battery was attached to Gen. Whittaker's brigade, and bluff Gen. Whittaker took more stock in Lieut. Marshall than did the austere Branum. So certain was Gen. Whittaker that Lieut. Marshall knew what he was talking about, that he went to Chattanooga and signed a security bond for $600, the value of the cannon, in case it should burst, and, returning, told Lieut. Marshall of his action. Marshall went to his quarters that night feeling that the hour of his triumph was at hand. The next morning he had his thoroughly-drilled gun squad on the ground long before the arrival of Gen. Whittaker. It was a moment of imminent danger, for should the gun burst by reason of its great, elevation, not a man would escape. The first shot Gen. Whittaker reported to be a hundred yards above the flag. "Yes, sir; I know that, and the next will be fifty yards above it," said Marshall. The second shot proved the truth of his statement. "Now, General, this time I'll fetch the flag." The gun boomed, and a field glass, in the hands of Gen. Whittaker, was passed from one to another of the anxious little squad, but no flag could be seen. It had been shot from the staff at the third discharge, and the army's movements would not thereafter be reported to rebel headquarters. It is needless to say that Lieut. Marshall was the hero of the hour, and received the most profuse congratulations, even from the chief of artillery whose judgment he had so successfully overthrown, He was recommended for promotion to sun-dry high positions, but chose that of second lieutenant when he could have been a colonel as well. .He was a man of modest and unassuming character—loyal to the core, brave to a fault—but inclined to belittle his own achievements. His education was somewhat limited, though possibly superior to that of many who held high military positions, yet he declined high office, believing that his lack of education would be a stumbling block to his success. He left a legacy to his children in his honorable and distinguished services for his country, more valuable than gold, and more lasting than title or crown.
John Marshall, the patriot and soldier— the loving father, devoted husband, honored friend—departed this life March 2, 1895, and awaits the grand reunion in beautiful Woodland. His comrades of Old Guard post, G. A. R., conducted the funeral obsequies, the funeral discourse being delivered by Rev. Dr. Colby of the First Baptist church. His widow remains at the lonely home where so many years of her wedded life were spent, at No. 236 South Allen street.
John W. Marshall, son of Lieut. John and Emily (Thomas) Marshall, was born in Dayton, Ohio, May 12, 1851. He is a man of fine business attainments and strict integrity, as his long continuance with one firm abundantly proves. He is a man of temperate habits, and marked devotion to his home and family. By industry and economy he has accumulated a competence, owns a beautiful home, and is well and favorably known by the best people in the city of his birth. He is prominently connected with the Knights of Pythias, the Garfield club, the Bakers' Benevolent association, and is a member of the A. 0. E. K. On June 17, 1879, Mr. Marshall married Miss Alice E. Russell, of. Zanesville, Ohio.
In 1895, Mr. Marshall, in company with his wife, mother, Mr. and Mrs. E. 0. Thomas, and Mrs. Col. Byron, visited Lookout mountain, Missionary ridge, Nashville, Louisville, and many other places and scenes of Lieut. John Marshall's military career, not mentioned in the sketch of that brave soldier's life.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page