J. & M. Schiml
Wayne Street Brewery
John and Michael Schiml started the J.& M. Schiml brewery in 1852, on the corner of Wayne and Hickory. The first lager beer of Montgomery County was believed to have been made there on December 13, 1852. A cousin of the Schiml’s who was a brewer brought the stock yeast necessary for making it from Boston, Massachusetts. The first year the brewery made 1,200 barrels of lager beer.
The original building was only 28’ x 50’, but it was enlarged upon a little each year.
On September 5, 1858 John died and Michael took over the entire business.
In July 1881, a fire destroyed a stable and its contents, including four horses, the roof of the ice house, and over 3,000 bushels of malt. Michael took the disaster in stride, enlarging the brewery to 38’ x 140’, and three stories high, plus building an ice house in connection capable of storing 1,500 tons of ice. Both of the buildings were made of brick, with cellars underneath. At the time of the fire the brewery was turning out 4,400 barrels of lager annually, but the new building had the capacity to double that amount. In 1882 sales were up to $35,000.
Michael gave the business over to his son Andrew and his son-in-law Frank J. Bucher in 1889. (See Pioneer Brewing Company).
BIOGRAPHY – MICHAEL SCHMIL
Michael Schiml was born on August 4, 1825 in Reglasreuth, near Baireuth, Bavaria, Germany. He was the last of eight children had by his parents Christopher and Mary (Kamer) Schiml. Michael, along with his mother and sister, emigrated in 1848 to Montgomery County. His mother died a short time after coming over. That same year Michael married Annie M. Heindl on September 12. They were the parents of eight children.
Michael worked at coopering until 1852. That year, in partnership with his brother John, he started a brewery on the corner of Wayne and Hickory. He died on October 12, 1892.
Third Street Ale Brewery
Pruden & Altherr
Kern & Altherr
Altherr Ale Brewery
Otto Euchenhofer took over the Third Street Brewery on 1513 East Third Street in 1892 and changed the name to Third Street Ale Brewery. Unfortunately, records show that the brewery slipped in business under Otto's management. By 1895 the brewery's yield was only 1,000 barrels, down from 4,000 in 1890. He sold the business to Henry B. Pruden and Peter J. Altherr in 1896.
Conrad Kern bought out Pruden's share of the brewery a year later, but left the brewery in 1899, opening a saloon on the southeast comer of Crane and Terry. Peter Altherr sold the business to Louis L. Wehner in 1901. Wehner dismantled the building a short time later, removing the brewing equipment to his plant on Concord and Scovil Streets. (See Wehner Brewing Company).
BIOGRAPHY – OTTO FREDERICK EUCHENHOFER
Otto Frederick Euchenhofer was born about 1857 in Dayton, Ohio. He belonged to the St. Luke's German Lutheran Church. He was the father of four children. He died May 20, 1912.
Third Street Lager Beer Brewery
Third Street Brewery
In 1861 Frederick Euchenhofer opened the Third Street Lager Beer Brewery on 1513 East Third Street. The brewery was made of brick, 70’ x 75’, two stories high and had a cellar. In addition, there were three individual cellars, separate from the main building, that were capable of storing 1,200 barrels. The brewery was bought by M. Miller and F. Ritzler in 1867, but Euchenhofer rebought the brewery five years later. Euchenhofer later changed the name of the brewery to Third Street Brewery about 1887. In 1888 over 3,500 barrels were being produced each year, most of them being consumed in the home. The annual trade for that year was in excess of $25,000.
Frederick Euchenhofer died in 1892 and the brewery was taken over by Otto Euchenhofer. (See Third Street Ale Brewery).
BIOGRAPHY – FREDERICK H. EUCHENHOFER
Frederick H. Euchenhofer was born in Switzerland about 1812 and when twenty years old he came to America. For a few years he lived in one of the eastern states, then moved on to Miamisburg, Ohio in 1836. Frederick opened a bakery and confectionery there, running a successful business until 1848, when he came to Dayton. He purchased the old Columbus house and ran it as a hotel until 1863. At the same time he ran the Third Street Brewery, which he sold in 1867. For the next five years he operated the old Tate mill and then re-purchased the Third Street Brewery, which he ran until a short time before his death.
Frederick was a charter member of, and a director in, the Teutonia Insurance company of Dayton, which was one of the most successful financial institutions in the city. Fraternally, Frederick was an Odd Fellow and a member of the Harugari. He was a Lutheran and in politics a Republican. He was married twice. His only child from the first marriage, Albert, died in February, 1892. His second marriage was to Caroline Disher. They were married in Dayton and had ten children.
Frederick died February 3, 1891.
Third Street Brewery
Joseph and Ignatz Straub founded the Third Street Brewery in 1854 at 61 East Third Street. Ignatz left the company in 1860. Joseph sold out to Frederick Euchenhofer a year later and went to work as a cooper for the brewery. In 1867 Euchenhofer sold the brewery to Michael Miller and Fabian RitzIer. The brewery closed its doors in 1870. Miller went to work for the City Brewery as a brewer. RitzIer eventually opened the RitzIer Wine and Beer Saloon & Pool and Billiard Hall on the corner of Brown and Wyoming Streets.
BIOGRAPHY – JOSEPH STRAUB
Joseph Straub was born in Grand Duchy of Baden, Germany, on July 29, 1828, emigrating to America in 1849. Upon reaching the United States he made his way to Miamisburg. After saving his money for two years, he made his way to Dayton and opened the Kerner Hotel at the Third Street crossing. Joseph had learned the trade of coopering and brewing in his homeland and by 1854 had enough money saved to build a brewery on Third Street. He operated it for about seven years, then worked as a cooper for the brewery a short time until he was called to fight in the Civil War.
In the war he served in the Fifty-Eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, being a member of Captain Diston's company. He served only one year, having gotten sick during his service. He never fully recovered from this illness, being of ill health the rest of his life.
After his return to Dayton he returned to working in the cooper trade. He married Kumgunda Maier, a girl that had been his next door neighbor in Germany. They had six children. He died February 20, 1909 and was buried in Calvary cemetery.
Wehner Brewing Company
In 1902 Louis L. Wehner began brewing beer at the new plant he had erected on the northeast corner of Concord and Scovil Street. The equipment was obtained from the Pioneer Brewing Company and the Altherr Ale Brewery, both of which Wehner had bought and closed down. In 1904 the Wehner Brewing Company merged with The Dayton Breweries Company. (See Dayton Breweries Company).
BIOGRAPHY – LOUIS L. WEHNER
Louis L. Wehner was born in Dayton, Ohio on December 26, 1865. He was the son of Julius and Mary (Kreidler) Wehner. He lived his entire life in the house of his birth. He quit school at the age of sixteen to learn the carpentry trade, which he did for three years. He later graduated from Miami Commercial College in 1887. In 1888 the Schantz & Schwind Brewery organization started and he became its bookkeeper and later made a collector.
On August 20, 1900 Wehner purchased the Pioneer Brewing Company at the corner of Wayne Avenue and Hickory Street and at once erected a new brewing plant at the comer of Concord and Scovil Street. There he began business in January 1902, making his first sales in March 1902. He gradually extended his business, purchasing the John F. Oehlschlager Bottling Works.
On March 1, 1904 the Wehner Brewing Company was merged with the Dayton Breweries Company and Wehner was chosen secretary-treasurer. He held that position until February 1918. In 1919 he became the vice-president and secretary. He was also vice president and treasurer of the Dayton Baseball Club Company, which he and Adam Schantz bought out.
On August 7, 1888 he was married to Clara E. Linnemann. They had two children. He was a member of the Elks and Owls, and the Dayton Gymnastics Club, as well as a member of the Sacred Heart church.
Wehner died December 18, 1934.
William and Jacob Wenz owned a brewery at 169 Main Street in 1859. It only lasted one year, closing in 1860.
Return to "Breweries of Dayton" Home Page