JAMES P. O'NEILL, [pages 699-700] correspondent at the soldiers' home, near Dayton, Ohio, for the Commercial-Tribune and the Post, of Cincinnati, was born in Philadelphia, Pa., February 22, 1844, and in 1846 was taken by his parents to Pittsburg, where he was educated, primarily, in the parochial school of Saint Paul's cathedral, and at the age of thirteen years was sent to Saint Michael's seminary to be educated for the priesthood. While there engaged in study, Bishop Henry Elder, of Natchez, Miss.—now archbishop of Cincinnati—visited the seminary, in 1860, and requested that three students be selected, to be sent to Rome and educated in the American college in that city, and young O'Neill was selected as one—the time set for their departure being 1861. The Civil war being then imminent, the project was frustrated, and James continued his studies in the seminary until August 22, 1862, when he enlisted in company E, One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania volunteer infantry.
The first battle in which he took part was at Fredericksburg, Va., December 13, 1862, and the next at Chancellorsville; he was in the battle of Gettysburg, and next went on the Mine Run expedition. The winter of 1863-4 was passed in guarding the Orange & Alexandria railroad, between Centerville and Falmouth, Va. With the opening of hostilities in the spring of 1864, and after the three days' fighting in the Wilderness, he was disabled by a wound in the right groin, in the battle of Laurel Hill. He was in consequence transferred as an invalid to the veteran reserve corps, as a member of company D, Ninth regiment, and stationed at Washington, D. C., but was soon afterward detailed as clerk in the office of Gen. H. H. Wells, then provost-marshal-general of the defenses south of the Potomac, and afterward military governor of Virginia, under the reconstruction act. Mr. O'Neill's duty was principally the keeping of records of deserters apprehended for bounty-jumping, etc., a very pleasant position, as he had all the privileges of the life of a civilian. June 29, 1865, he received his final discharge from the service, and returned to the parental home in Pittsburg.
In September, 1865, Mr. O'Neill entered the Cathedral high school as teacher, remaining one year, and the following year he was employed as brakeman on the Pennsylvania railroad. In September, 1868, he was appointed telegraph editor and proof-reader on the Pittsburg Post, and was connected with that journal for about six years, the last two years as city editor. Following this, he worked as a reporter for almost every newspaper in Pittsburg, continuing in journalistic work until 1892. During this period he was also associate editor of the Catholic Journal, with a corps of nine clergymen as editors, contributors, etc., and for several months was proof-reader for Rand, McNally & Co., of Chicago.
August 19, 1892, Mr. O'Neill was admitted to the national military home at Dayton, where for the first six months he was engaged as clerk in the hospital, and then, for four or five months, as clerk in the Central depot. During the past three years he has employed his time principally as correspondent for the Cincinnati Commercial-Tribune and the Post. As a writer he has both wit and brevity, with the faculty for condensation which is so necessary to success in the reporter's work.
Mr. O'Neill was married, in Pittsburg, August 24, 1870, to Miss Caroline A. Schell, a lady of German extraction, with whom he lived most happily until 1876, when Mrs. O'Neill became demented, and the succeeding seventeen years of her life were passed in an asylum in Pittsburg, where the end came in March, 1893. Of the three children born to this marriage, the youngest died in infancy and the two surviving were reared to manhood by their paternal grandmother. James J., the elder of the two, now twenty-five years of age, is a salesman and window-trimmer in a dry-goods house in Carnegie, Pa., and Charles J., aged twenty-three, is employed in the Homestead steel works. Fraternally Mr. O'Neill is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Union Veteran Legion, having joined encampment No. 1, of the latter order, in Pittsburg, on its organization, and having transferred its membership to encampment No. 83, at the soldiers' home, being the present adjutant of this camp. In 1868 he became a member of the Second brigade band, and served as its president and leader for five years. In his politics he was a democrat in his earlier years, and voted with that party until the defeat of Gen. W. S. Hancock for the presidency of the United States, since which time he had affiliated with the republican organization.
GEORGE W. OZIAS, [pages 700-703] attorney at law of Dayton, Ohio, was born January 28, 1863, at Farmersville, Montgomery county, Ohio, and is a son of David Ozias, a native of Lewisburg, Preble county, Ohio. When George W. was a child his parents removed to Kenton, Ohio, and there he was reared and educated, graduating from the Kenton high school when he was sixteen years of age. David Ozias remained in Kenton with his family until 1887, when he removed to Dayton. George W., almost immediately after graduating at Kenton, as above mentioned, entered the freshman class of the Ohio Wesleyan university, at Delaware, remaining there throughout the regular four years' course, and graduating when he was twenty years of age. He then went to Cincinnati, and in the fall of 1883 entered the Cincinnati Law school, taking a thorough course in law, and graduating from that institution in 1886. His expenses, while at Delaware, he paid by teaching school in vacations, and those incident to his attendance at the law school by working for Bradstreet's Commercial agency.
Immediately upon completing his course in Cincinnati, Mr. Ozias located in Dayton, and there became the manager of Bradstreet's Commercial agency for the district whose headquarters were in that city, and this position he held for five years. Severing his connection with this agency, on November 1, 1891, he opened an office and began the active practice of the law on his own account. Later he formed a partnership with Benjamin F. Hershey, which continued from January 1, 1893, to about January 1, 1895. This connection was then dissolved, and Mr. Ozias remained alone until March 1, 1896, when he formed a partnership with Judge Calvin D. Wright, formerly of Troy, Ohio, Wright & Ozias having since been engaged in general practice.
January 4, 1894, Mr. Ozias was united in marriage with Miss Blanche B. Whealen, who was born in Dayton, March 2, 1873, a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Corson) Whealen, natives of Montgomery county, Ohio. Mr. Whealen is district manager of the American Strawboard company, and a well known citizen and business man, of whom mention is made on another page.
Mr. Ozias is a republican in politics and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is an able and ambitious young man, and has made a creditable record in his profession.
WILLIAM S. O'NEILL, [pages 703-704] wholesale dealer in and packer of leaf tobacco, Dayton, Ohio, was born in Franklin county, Pa., October 17, 1838, He is a son of Charles and Elizabeth (Sherman) O'Neill, the former a native of county Antrim, Ireland, and the latter a native of Pennsylvania. To this marriage there were born seven children, three sons and four daughters, five of whom are still living, as follows: Mary, widow of Jacob Yost; Ann Elizabeth, wife of John Albright, of Kokomo, Ind.; Dr. Salisbury Eugene, of Ottumwa, Iowa; William S., and Jennie, wife of Dr. Souders, of Beavertown. The two deceased children were John, who, during the Irish famine, went to Edinburgh,, Scotland, as a representative of and reporter for the Philadelphia Ledger, and died there, and Marcellus, who died in infancy.
Charles O'Neill was by occupation a contractor, and came to the United States in the: interest of an English syndicate to superintend the construction of the Cumberland Valley railroad. Locating six miles east of Chambersburg, Pa., he lived there and in that vicinity until his death, which occurred about 1848, being induced by an injury which caused a hemorrhage. His wife survived him many years, and died at the home of her son, William S., in Van Buren township, Montgomery, county, when she was upward of sixty years of age. Mr. O'Neill was in politics a democrat, but never held or sought public office, though he was very fond of the study and discussion of public questions. He superintended the construction of the old Tappewann railroad from Gettysburg to the Caledonia Iron works, and was then in the employ of Thaddeus Stevens. Mr. O'Neill was a man of varied experience and learning. In his youth he was educated for the Catholic priesthood, but refused to act in that capacity. Arthur O'Neill, his brother, was educated to be a Catholic priest and served as such during his lifetime. The wife of Charles O'Neill was in her earlier life a Lutheran, but later became a Catholic.
The paternal grandfather of William O'Neill was a native of Ireland, and lived and died in his native land. The maternal grandfather, Salisbury Sherman, was a native of New Bedford, Mass., where he was bound as an apprentice to a blacksmith. Afterward he learned the trade of cutler, and was foreman of a factory in Chambersburg for a number of years. Then uniting with a company at Gettysburg, he aided in establishing a factory there. At Gettysburg he was married to Catherine Whealen. After his marriage he removed to Franklin county, near Chambersburg, lived there sixty-five years, and at the time of his death was ninety-eight years of age.
William S. O'Neill was reared a farmer's boy, and received a good education in the common schools of Pennsylvania. For some time he worked for twelve and a half cents per day. In 1858, coming to Dayton, he went thence to Van Buren township, and hired out as a farm laborer on one of the farms which he now owns. Two years were spent in this way, the second year in raising tobacco, and in the winter following he chopped cord wood and split rails. In 1864 he purchased ten acres of land in Miami township, having, however, previously purchased property in Carrollton. The ten acres he soon sold and bought forty acres in Van Buren township. Afterward he purchased 160 acres in Mercer county, and still later 148 acres in Van Buren township, Montgomery county, upon which he had worked when he first came to the state. This he still owns, together with thirty-one acres of the above mentioned forty, having sold nine acres thereof. For two years he carried on farming in Miami township, but otherwise has been engaged in farming in Van Buren township, with the exception of the past five years, during which time he has lived in Dayton, his residence being at No. 228 Warren street. Beside the land named above as owned by Mr. O'Neill, he owns 100 acres in Washington township.
Mr. O'Neill was married, in March, 1863, to Miss Elizabeth Shroyer, daughter of Jacob and Mary (Himes) Shroyer. To this marriage there have been born five children, as follows: Carrie May, Amanda Ellen, Charles Shroyer, Harry Sherman, and Lizzie. Charles Shroyer died at the age of twenty, Carrie May at nineteen and Amanda Ellen at twenty-one. Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill and their children are members of the Reform church in Van Buren township, of which he has been a trustee for twenty years. Politically he is a democrat, but has never sought office or any kind of political preferment. He has been a resident of Montgomery county since March, 1857, a period of forty years, and the history of his life is one in which may be found the success and prosperity that attend upon industry, thrift and strict integrity of character.
DAVID A. ONKST, [pages 704-705] one of the leading contractors and builders of Dayton, Ohio, was born near Bull's Gap, Greene county, Tenn., April 7, 1859, He is a son of William and Louisa (Thompson) Onkst, the former a native of Tennessee, and the latter of West Virginia. They were the parents of eight children, four sons and four daughters, six of whom are now living: Sarah Ann, wife of Jacob B. Martin; James T.; Emiline, wife of Nathan Martin; David A., William P., and Charles H. Margaret was the name of one that died, and another died in infancy.
William Onkst was a carpenter by trade. He removed in 1872 from Tennessee to Little York, Ohio, where he followed farming for one year. From that time on until he retired from active life he pursued his trade, and is now living at Greenville. His wife died in 1873, at the age of fifty-one, a member of the Dunkard church, and a most exemplary woman in every respect.
The paternal grandfather, David Onkst, was a native of Germany, and coming to the United States, settled in Tennessee many years ago, dying in that state when upward of eighty years of age. The number of his children is not now definitely remembered, but it is known that there were at least six. The maternal grandfather, Archibald Thompson, was a native of Virginia, and, like the paternal grandfather, settled in Greene county, Tenn., many years ago, and there died at about eighty years of age. He was a minister in the German Baptist or Dunkard church.
David A. Onkst, the subject of this sketch, was but thirteen years of age when brought to Montgomery county by his parents. His early education was received in Tennessee. Arriving in Ohio, he worked on the farm, remaining at home until 1874, when he began life on his own account. For two years he worked for his brother-in-law, for his board and clothes, and afterward worked on a farm as a hired man for four years. On the 24th day of February, 1881, he married Miss Viola Denlinger, daughter of Israel and Mary Ann (Garver) Denlinger. To this marriage there have been born two children, viz: Virgin L. and Ellis R.
Israel and Mary Ann Denlinger are both natives of Montgomery county. The paternal grandfather was Abraham Denlinger, who was a native of Pennsylvania and was one of the first settlers of Montgomery county, Ohio. He made the first hay rake owned in this county. His wife was a Miller, also a native of Pennsylvania. Three sons and one daughter were reared by the old people.
Mr. and Mrs. Onkst are members of the German Baptist or Dunkard church, in which they are active and useful members. In politics Mr. Onkst is a republican, and as such served one term as school director in Randolph township. In the spring of 1889 he moved to Dayton, and for the past five years has been living at No. 31 East Hershey street. Ever since coming to Dayton he has followed street contract work, consisting of grading, graveling, guttering and making cement sidewalks. He also has the present contract with the city for sweeping the paved streets. Mr. Onkst is one of those citizens who have done and are doing their full share to make the community prosperous, and is highly esteemed and popular in both city and county.
JOHN F. OEHLSCHLAGER, [pages 705-706] member of the Dayton city council from the Eighth ward, and proprietor of the Gem City Ale house, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, November 30, 1856. His parents, Frederick and Mary (Kriege) Oehlschlager, were natives of Germany, but came to this country while yet unmarried. They were married in Cincinnati, and in 1859 removed to Dayton, where the former died about 1871, and where the mother is still living.
John F. Oehlschlager was reared in Dayton, and received a common-school education. In 1871, on account of the death of his father, he went to work on a farm in order to aid his mother in the care of the family. He was thus engaged for three years, when he returned to Dayton and went to work for his step-father in the draying business, at which he continued for three or four years. Subsequently he entered the employ of Greer & King, stove founders, as solicitor, and afterward the service of J. V. Nauerth & Son,, wholesale grocers, as shipping clerk and solicitor. Afterward he became city solicitor for A. Tegeler, proprietor of the Eagle mills, and remained in this position for about a year. Mr. Oehlschlager then engaged in business for himself at Trebein's Station, Greene county, Ohio, where he remained for about six months, when he sold his business and purchased a general store at Alpha, in the same county, at which point he was agent for the express company, ticket agent for the Pennsylvania lines, and post-master. After being thus engaged at Alpha for five years he sold out, returned to Dayton, and purchased a half interest in the Dayton Ale brewery, on Brown street. Two years later he sold this interest and purchased property on the corner of Wayne and Oak streets, establishing himself in his present business. He is now wholesale agent and bottler for the Morrow Brewing company's ales, for the Xenia ales, and for the Schwind company's beers.
Mr. Oehlschlager was married, March 16, 1882, to Elizabeth B. Tegeler, of Dayton. To this union there have been born two children—William T., now twelve years of age, and Edna, nine years of age.
In April, 1891, Mr. Oehlschlager was elected to represent the Twelfth ward in the city council for a term of two years. In December, 1894, he was elected to fill out the unexpired term of Mr. Houser, for the Seventh ward, and in 1895 was elected from the Eighth ward for two years, his term expiring in 1897. Mr. Oehlschlager is a member of Humboldt lodge, No, 58, Knights of Pythias, of the Improved Order of Red Men, and also of the Saint Paul's German Evangelical church. He is one of the substantial and respected business men of the city.
FRANK J. OTTER, [pages 706-707] well known as an architect and superintendent of construction, of Dayton, Ohio, is a native of London, England, born October 19, 1862, and is a son of Joseph and Ann (Dixon) Otter.
Joseph Otter was born in February, 1830, learned his trade of carpenter in his native land, and in 1870 crossed the ocean to Canada, where he remained until 1889, when he followed his son, Frank J., to Dayton, where the family now reside. The children of Joseph and Ann Otter originally numbered eleven, of whom one died in infancy.
Frank J. Otter was trained for his profession in Canada under several of the most noted architects of that country, among whom may be mentioned Hancock & Townsend, of Toronto; W. G. Storm, the designer of the university buildings of the same city, and James Connelly, the Roman Catholic church architect. While in Toronto, Mr. Otter was for three years chief of the office of Mr. Storm— a position of great responsibility, and one indicative in itself of the advanced architectural knowledge possessed by him.
On reaching Dayton, in 1887, Mr. Otter found a field open for the exercise of his architectural skill and mechanical genius, and he at once formed a partnership with Charles I. Williams, and during the six years of its existence this firm designed and superintended the erection of some of the finest buildings in Dayton and other cities, among which may be , enumerated the public library and the Methodist church structures in Indianapolis, Ind., the Callahan Bank building—the first business block of any architectural pretentions in Dayton—the Sacred Heart Catholic church and the Trinity Reformed church edifices, and numerous fine private residences throughout the city.
In 1893 the partnership between Mr. Otter and Mr. Williams was dissolved, and since then Mr. Otter, by employing a number of able assistants, has fully maintained the deserved reputation of the old firm, and has done an ever-increasing business, with his well-equipped offices located in the Firemen's Insurance building. Among the more recent plans for fine residences designed by Mr. Otter are those for James C. Reber, cashier of Winter's National bank; Edward Hochwalt, Gustave Stomps, Daniel W. Allaman, Rolla Heikes, Gottlieb Kellner, Charles Moore and other prominent citizens of Dayton. At Miamisburg he furnished the design for the residence of William Gamble, the banker, and for a business building for Aull Brothers, and at Dayton, later, the plans for the Hayner Distilling company plant.
The marriage of Mr. Otter took place in Toronto, Canada, to Miss Ethel Mounstephen, a native of England, but who was taken to Canada, when a child, by her parents. Three children have blessed this union, and are named Genevieve Ethel, Frank Mounstephen and Blanche Florence. The church relations of Mr. and Mrs. Otter are with the Congregationalists. Fraternally, Mr. Otter is a member of the I. 0. 0. F.; he is a past regent of the Royal Arcanum, and is also president of the National Union.
CLIFTON LEANDER PATTERSON, M. D., [pages 707-708] physician and surgeon of Dayton, with office and residence at No. 219 West Third street, was born near Dayton, in Montgomery county, Ohio, October 19, 1866. He is a son of William J. and Anna (Ford) Patterson, both natives of Londonderry, Ireland, a city beautifully situated on the left bank of the Foyle river, the siege of which is one of the most celebrated events in modern Irish history. Both remained in their native land until they had reached mature years, and then came to the United States, the former coming in 1850 and locating in Carrollton, where he met his future wife. In the common schools he obtained a thorough education, completing it, however, after coming to this country. About the time of his marriage he began teaching school, and at the same time engaged in farming on a small scale. This course of life he continued until he removed to Dayton, to take a position as principal of the Thirteenth district school of the city, which he held for some time, and is now principal of the Seventh district school.
Mr. and Mrs. Patterson are the parents of the following children: Joseph E., a farmer of Montgomery county; Emma, the wife of Frank Wogaman; William F., with the American Express company; Marcie, wife of W. P. Rice; John C., attorney-at-law, all of Dayton, Rev. James A., of the First Presbyterian church of Fostoria, Ohio; Clifton L.; Elizabeth, wife of Arthur Johnson, of Dayton, and Robert C., a law student, Mr. and Mrs. Patterson are members of the German Reformed church of Dayton.
Clifton L. Patterson received his education in the common schools and at Heidelberg university. He then taught school for two years, after which he entered the office of Dr. George Goodhue, of Dayton, and after remaining there as a student until thoroughly prepared, he entered Starling Medical college of Columbus, Ohio, and graduated as a member of the class of 1893. He then located in the city of Dayton, where he has since given special attention to diseases of the throat and ear, but also carries on a general practice. Dr. Patterson is a member of Miami lodge, Knights of Pythias, No. 32, and of court Cooper, No. 1,567, Independent Order of Foresters. He is also a member of Gem City council, No. 1, Fraternal Censer. For the last two orders he is examining physician.
Dr. Patterson was married December 29, 1892, to Miss Carrie D. Jackson, a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Jackson, of Arcanum, Darke county. Two children, a daughter and a son, born to them, are now deceased. Dr. and Mrs. Patterson are esteemed members of the First German Reformed church, and of excellent standing in society. Politically Dr. Patterson is a democrat, but, like most physicians, takes little active interest in political affairs. He is assistant surgeon of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad company, and is one of the promising physicians and surgeons of the city of Dayton.
HAMER W. PARROTT, [pages 708-709] secretary and treasurer of the Parrott Manufacturing company, on Crane street, Dayton, Ohio, is a native of this city, and was born April 30, 1853,
William Parrott, Sr., his father, was born in Talbot county, Md., January 7, 1799, came to Dayton, Ohio, in 1830, and in 1831 married Margaret Ann Willis, also a native of Talbot county, Md. Soon after reaching Dayton Mr. Parrott engaged extensively in mercantile pursuits, and was widely known as a man of excellent business capabilities and of unflinching integrity. The old Commercial corner, at the head of the basin, was at that time a noted place, and in that building William and Thomas Parrott commenced the sale of dry goods, when there were but seven stores of that character in the city, all in the same vicinity, away uptown. For several years just prior to his death, William Parrott was a director in the Dayton branch of the State bank of Ohio, and this position he filled with credit to himself and with profit to the institution. After being successfully engaged in business for twenty years, Mr. Parrott retired, in 1851, to enjoy in quiet the competence which was the reward of his earlier labors. After about seven years thus spent, his death took place January 7, 1858, and the loss of no business man in Dayton, up to that date, had been more keenly felt than his.
To the marriage of William Parrott there was born a family of seven sons and four daughters, viz: George, who was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church for some years, but who, on account of a throat trouble, was compelled to relinquish the pulpit and turn his attention to business, and was for fifteen years associated with the Parrott Manufacturing company, and who died in 1892; Charles, who is an attorney and was also in the transportation business in Dayton, being a lessee of the canal from the state until 1874, when he went to Columbus, where he is still in active business; William, who was formerly engaged in the milling industry in Dayton, but who died in 1864 from disease contracted in the army; John, who was secretary of the board of public works for several years, with his residence at Columbus, and who also died of disease contracted in the army; Virginia, the wife of J. B. Smith, of Dayton; Henry R., who was the principal proprietor of the Dayton Furniture company, and died May 11, 1896; Maggie and Emily, of Dayton; Louisa, who died in 1886; Thomas, who was associated with the Parrott Manufacturing company and died in 1883, and Hamer W., whose name opens this biography.
Hamer W. Parrott received an excellent common-school education, and at the age of seventeen years entered the employ of the Aughe & Parrott Plow Manufacturing company and learned the business thoroughly, passing the forenoons in the shops and the afternoons in the office. In 1872 he took entire charge of the office work and filled the position until 1878, when he went to California, where he passed .one year and then returned to Ohio, going to the Hocking valley, where he became secretary of the Union furnace, pig iron producers. Here he remained until 1882, when he went to Columbus, where, for three years, he was associated with the Ohio Pipe company and then disposed of his interest in that concern and returned to Dayton in 1885; for the three following years he was secretary of the Dayton Coal Dealers' association, and from 1888 until December, 1892, was general manager for Crane & Co., agents for the National Cash Register company. Mr. Parrott then again associated himself with the Parrott Manufacturing company, in which he is a stock-holder. Of this company, Charles Parrott is the president; Hamer W. Parrott, the secretary and treasurer, and Fred W. Nolt superintendent. The company manufactures all kinds of steel plows, but its special production is the Aughe plow. The concern also manufactures stepladders and chairs, this feature having been added in the winter of 1893-94. It employs a force of fifteen men, and its plows are in constant demand throughout the states of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.
Mr. Parrott was married, September 22, 1885, to Miss Lizzie Fowler, daughter of Henry Fowler, an old resident of Dayton, and this union has been blessed with two children—Fowler Stoddard and Charles Willis. In politics Mr. Parrott is a republican, and as a business man, as well as socially, occupies a prominent place in the community.
PERRY R. PEASE, [pages 709-710] member of the city council of Dayton, Ohio, from the Fifth ward, and also a deputy in the office of the county auditor of Montgomery county, was born in West Carrollton, Montgomery county, August 21, 1855, a son of Joseph and Sarah (Cotterill) Pease, natives of the same county.
Perry Pease, the paternal grandfather of Perry R., was a native of Suffield, Conn., and came to Montgomery county, Ohio, somewhere about the year 1820, locating at West Carrollton, where he leased the water-power of the canal, then in course of construction or just finished, and engaged in the milling and distilling business for many years. Joseph Cotterill, the maternal grandfather of Perry R. Pease, was also an early settler of Montgomery county, and for many years kept the hotel at Carrollton. Joseph Pease, father of Perry R., was engaged in business with his father until his death in 1861, at the early age of twenty-eight years, leaving his widow, now in her sixty-first year and a resident of Dayton, and three children—Perry R., Harry (deceased), and Carrie, the wife of N. H. Rice, of Dayton.
Perry R. Pease was reared in West Carrollton until fifteen years of age, in the meantime attending the public schools; he then entered the Miami Valley institute, a Quaker college near Springboro, Warren county, Ohio, where he was a student for three years, and then returned to West Carrollton and entered the general store of his step-father, being now fully qualified for the requirements of business. In this store he was soon admitted as a partner, and so continued for the period of twelve years, and then engaged in the cigar trade, in the same town, for two years. In April, 1882, he came to Dayton for the purpose of becoming a traveling salesman for a wholesale grocery, but this house having met with financial difficulties, Mr. Pease engaged with an uncle, William F. Fackler, in the painting and paper-hanging business, which proved so satisfactory that he continued to devote his attention to it, and for the past eight years has been a contractor in this particular industry.
February 12, 1878, Mr. Pease was united in marriage with Louella Pease, born in West Carrollton, November 14, 1857, and a daughter of Perry J. and Lucy (Renley) Pease. Perry J. Pease was born in Virginia and came to Montgomery county, Ohio, when a boy, with his father, Edward Pease, and is now a well-known auctioneer of Dayton. Lucy (Renley) Peace was born in Dayton and is a daughter of John Renley. To the happy union of Perry R. Pease and wife have been born three children: Wilbur, born June 18, 1879; Frederick, December 29, 1888, and Ruth, September 21, 1892.
In politics Mr. Pease has always been a republican, and has ever been a popular man with his party, for which he has been an active worker. In April, 1896, he was elected a member of the Dayton city council from the Fifth ward, and October 19, 1896, was appointed a deputy in the office of the county auditor, and has faithfully performed his duties in both capacities. Fraternally Mr. Pease is a Knight of Pythias, and socially enjoys the esteem of a large circle of friends.
ENOS PHILLIP ROBINSON, [pages 710-713] lecturer, and exhibitor of the cyclorama, Battle of Gettysburg, at the national military home, Dayton, Ohio, was born in West Fallowfield, Chester county, Pa., November 27, 1847, and is a son of William and Margaret (Harris) Robinson. The father was also a native of Pennsylvania, and was the son of an English soldier who bore arms in the British army in the days of the American Revolution.
William was a farmer in his native state, which vocation he followed until his death, which occurred at the age of seventy-five years; his wife was of Scotch parentage and died when seventy-two years old. Of the family of eleven children born to this couple, Enos Phillip is the ninth in order of birth and is one of the three still surviving, the other two being Mrs. Sallie McNeil, of Oxford, Pa., and Mrs. Serenah Keitel, of Kansas.
Of the many young soldiers in the Union army during the late Civil war, not one has a more interesting history than has Enos P. Robinson. His enlistment took place August 7, 1862, in company H, One Hundred and Twenty-second volunteer infantry. He was then but fourteen years of age, and was probably 'the youngest lad that ever entered the Union ranks for the purpose of bearing a musket. Others, equally young, may have been enlisted as musicians, etc., but it may be asserted that not another as young as he enlisted to bear arms in defense of his country's flag.
The first service to which Mr. Robinson was assigned, as a soldier, was with the army of the Potomac, under Gen. Phil. Kearney. He took part in the battles of second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and in the last-named battle lost his left leg, and for eight days lay on the battlefield unnoticed and without attention, At last, he was discovered by the Confederates and taken prisoner, and his leg was amputated by Confederate surgeons on the field. He was exchanged and sent to the Union army at Aquia Creek, Va., whence he was sent to hospital at Alexandria, Va. When he was able to be removed, he was conveyed by carriage from Alexandria to Washington, whence he was sent to Philadelphia. But, by reason the neglect of his wound at the time it was received, and for eight days afterward, gangrene set in and two subsequent amputations became necessary, and these were performed in Philadelphia. After his recovery, the soldier boy was employed for a time in the clothing department of the United States arsenal in the Quaker City.
The records of the war department at Washington, D. C., showed that he was killed at the battle of Chancellorsville; but, twenty-five years later, while in Lancaster, Pa., he met Col. E. E. Franklin, who had commanded his regiment in the battle named. Having been personally acquainted with the colonel before enlistment, the families being intimate, the colonel had mourned the soldier boy as dead, and great was his astonishment when confronted by the living witness of his error.
Upon leaving Philadelphia, Mr. Robinson attended school at Augusta, Me., for a year and a half, he being then an inmate of the soldiers' home at that point. The home being destroyed by fire, Mr. Robinson was detailed to escort fifty of the inmates to the Central branch home at Dayton, Ohio, where he remained two years, being first employed as sergeant of a company, then as a member of the band, and then in the telegraph department. In 1870, a colony of seven soldiers, including himself, went to Kansas and located homesteads in Dickinson county, where for two summers Mr. Robinson was employed in herding cattle and driving them through from Texas.
Returning to Dayton, Ohio, he married, in December, 1871, Miss Hattie A. Snyder, a native of the city, and a daughter of Joseph H. and Rebecca Snyder—the former a native of New York and the latter of Vermont. They were married in Dayton, Ohio, and had a family of seven children, two only of whom are living: Joseph H., a mechanic of Dayton, and Mrs. Robinson. After his marriage, Mr. Robinson was employed by the Third street railroad company for eleven years, and next, for five years, by the Home avenue railroad company. In 1886, the Dayton & Soldiers' Home Panorama company organized and opened the cyclorama of the battle of Gettysburg, and Mr. Robinson was placed in charge. His lecture evinces careful study of all the details of that turning point of the late Civil war, and is entertaining and instructive. Mr. Robinson also owns a photograph gallery at the corner of Fifth street and Wayne avenue, Mr. Robinson having the management of the same.
Mr. Robinson has been very prominent as a secret society member. He organized the Hiram Strong post, No. 79, G. A. R., and is its past commander; he is a member of and past grand in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a member of Hope lodge. No. 277, Knights of Pythias, and of division No. 32, uniform rank, of the same order; is ex-counselor of Putnam council, Order of United American Mechanics, and is also chairman of the Dayton Soldiers' Relief commission. In his politics he has always been a republican, and was once elected justice of the peace of Harrison township at a time when that township usually gave about 200 democratic majority, and he has several times served as delegate to conventions of his party. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson have been members of the First Reform church since 1875, and no couple stand higher in the esteem of the community than the " boy soldier" and his amiable wife.
ABRAHAM M. OSNESS, M. D., [pages 713-714] of Dayton, Ohio, although a comparatively young man, is a physician and surgeon of ability and skill. He was born in Berdichen, Russia, May 19, 1864, a son of Moses and Anna Osness, the former of whom passed all his days in Russia, and the latter, after the decease of her husband, coming to America to join her son, the doctor, and being now a resident of Dayton.
Dr. Abraham M. Osness was reared in his native land until the age of seventeen, receiving his education in the public schools of the City of Berdichen. At the age mentioned he went to Austria, where he passed one year, and in 1882 came to America and at once located in Dayton, where he learned the trade of cigar-making, at which he was constantly employed until 1888. During these six years he was an earnest student, attended high-school and studied at home, and later attended a commercial college. He was a constant visitor at the public library, where he was able to add considerably to his stock of knowledge. In 1889 he was placed in charge of a fruit house in Greenville, Ohio, as manager, bookkeeper, etc., and in 1890 went to Chicago, Ill., to prepare himself for the practice of medicine, having already devoted twelve months or more to the study of that science. At Chicago he entered the office of Dr. Meyerowich, under whose preceptorship he pursued his studies, and also entered the college of Physicians & Surgeons, from which he was graduated in April, 1894. Immediately after receiving his degree of M. D., he returned to Dayton and established himself in his chosen profession. He is recognized as a young physician of excellent parts, has already secured a remunerative practice, and has been appointed examining surgeon for the K. of H., M. W. of A., the S. of B., and the Germania Life Insurance company.
CAPT. THOMAS N. PATTERSON [pages 714-715] is a native of the state of New York, born on the 24th day of February, 1835, in the city of Rochester. His father, Thomas Patterson, also a native of New York, was born in 1804, of Irish parentage, the ancestors of the family immigrating to the United States about the year 1791. The mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Jenkins, was born in the Empire state in 1808. These parents died in the years 1864 and 1843 respectively, after rearing two children, Thomas N. and a daughter, Hester, whose death occurred at the age of fourteen.
When a small boy, Capt. Patterson was taken by his parents to Detroit, Mich., in the schools of which city he received his education. After serving an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade and working at the same for some years in Detroit, he went south and spent the four years immediately preceding the war of the Rebellion in the states of Texas and Louisiana. This, as all know, was a very critical period, and on account of his loyal sentiments, which he took no pains to conceal, Mr. Patterson received many broad hints to the effect that his society was no longer agreeable to certain southern gentry, and accordingly, in March, 1861, he took counsel of his better judgment and returned north. On April 19 of the same year he enlisted in company G, Tenth Ohio infantry, in which he served as private for a period of four months. On the 11th of September following, he was promoted first sergeant of his company, became second lieutenant January 12, 1862, and on the 18th of the ensuing October was commissioned first lieutenant. Ten days prior to the latter promotion, Capt. Patterson lost his right arm in the battle of Perryville, Ky., and on returning from the hospital, he was made adjutant of the regiment, serving as such until the expiration of his period of enlistment. The captain's army experience embraces some of the most noted campaigns of the war and he took part in quite a number of pitched battles, beside numerous irregular engagements and skirmishes with guerillas. September 10, 1861, he participated in the battle of Carnifax Ferry, Va., and, during the greater part of the same year, his command was engaged in guerrilla warfare in West Virginia, beside doing some fighting in old Virginia. The next battle was that of Stone River or Murfreesboro, where his regiment suffered a loss of thirty-three men, though serving as rear guards at the time of the engagement; Chickamauga followed, where forty brave men bit the dust before the aim of the enemy, and in the bloody battle of Perryville, Ky., fully one half of the right wing, of which the captain's command formed a part, were killed or wounded. Capt. Patterson accompanied Gen. Sherman's army in the celebrated march to the sea as far as Kingston, Ga., where he was mustered out at the expiration of his term of service on the 17th day of June, 1864. On the 8th day of the following August, he re-entered the army as first lieutenant of company G, Ninth regiment, veteran reserve corps, and served as such at Washington city, where the regiment was stationed for guard duty until the latter part of the ensuing year. For seventeen months Capt. Patterson had command of the military patrols at the national capital and afterward commanded the force that had charge of the aqueduct bridge leading from Washington to Arlington Heights; he commanded the patrols in Washington on the night of President Lincoln's assassination and had a guard at Ford's theatre when the fatal shot, which deprived the nation of its beloved ruler, was fired. From Washington he was sent to Cincinnati in December, 1865, and there remained until honorably discharged on the first day of July, 1866.
For some time after severing his connection with the army, Capt. Patterson was employed in the United States revenue service, and for two years was inspector of distilleries. Later he accepted a position in the sheriff's office of Hamilton county, and was thus employed until 1876, at which time he became an inmate of the Central branch. National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, where, with the exception of about two years, he has since remained. For a period of twelve years Capt. Patterson was commissary sergeant and assistant steward at the home, and in 1888 was the republican candidate for sheriff of Montgomery county, having taken his discharge from the home on receiving the nomination. Owing to the overwhelming majority of the opposition the captain was unsuccessful, and shortly after the election he went to Tennessee, where he made his home for about eighteen months. In May, 1891, he returned to the home, where he has since remained in an official capacity, his first command being company Twenty-nine, from which he was afterward transferred to company Sixteen. He continued in charge of the latter for four years, and on the first day of January, 1896, was placed in command of company Thirty, the largest in the home, a position he still fills most creditably.
Capt. Patterson was married, October 20, 1866, at Cincinnati, Ohio, to Miss Frances Shield, a union blessed with the birth of eight children, namely: Frederick N., an employee of the home; Thomas Francis, an electrician at the home; Harry S., clerk in Hotel Atlas, Dayton; William C., tobacconist of Dayton; Blanch J., student in the Dayton high school, and Grace, Ruth and Madge, all attending city schools. The captain was reared in the Episcopal faith, but of late years has been identified with the U. B. church. He enjoys the distinction of being one of a very few men who served in the field after losing an arm, and his record as a brave defender of the old flag is without a blemish; he is a capable and painstaking official, a worthy citizen, and all with whom he comes in contact, in any capacity, unite in pronouncing him a most courteous gentleman of the old school.
CHARLES PHILIPPS, [pages 715-716] proprietor of the Riverdale bath and boat house, Dayton, Ohio, was born in Alsace, France, February 22, 1832, and is a son of John and Anna Marie (Fischer) Philipps. These parents were married in Alsace; of their family of two sons and one daughter, Charles is the only survivor. The daughter, named Mary, died in infancy, and Ferdinand, the other son, died near Buffalo, N. Y., at the age of sixty-five years.
Charles Philipps was but five years of age when the family came to America and settled on a farm near Buffalo, N. Y., and here the parents passed the remainder of their days, their remains being interred near the farm.
Ferdinand succeeded to this property, to which he added other lands, and passed his life on the farm, where, beside following agriculture, he was engaged to some extent in mechanical pursuits until his death. At the age of thirteen years Charles was apprenticed to shoemaking, and, having thoroughly learned the trade, was employed for some thirty years at fine work, and during this period visited many of the larger American cities. But the encroachments of improved machinery proved to be seriously detrimental to hand production of shoes and he relinquished his journeyings. He then purchased a place near Buffalo, where he carried on his trade in a small way for a number of years, and afterward became a member of the Buffalo fire department; but by reason of one hand having been crippled by disease, he was at last compelled to abandon both his trade and his position. He then opened a saloon on the Terrace in Buffalo, and this he conducted for about seven years. He then built a floating bath house, which proved a source of profit for about ten years, when the structure was destroyed by a violent storm, entailing upon him a heavy loss. In 1888 he came with an excursion party to Ohio, and desiring to adopt a new location for business, he came to Dayton and established his present bath and boat house. Here, during the season, hundreds of citizens of Dayton, of all ages, come to enjoy the boating and bathing, while every precaution is taken for their safety; it sometimes happens that bathers become over-bold, and Mr. Philipps has, since in business here, saved no less than eighteen persons from drowning. For these brave and valuable services he has received appreciative mention in the local press, and very often more tangible evidence of the gratitude of the rescued.
Mr. Philipps was married, in Buffalo, to Miss Bertha Webber, who was born in Baden, Germany, in 1841, and this marriage has been blessed by the birth of four sons and three daughters. Of these William C. is a harness-maker and dealer in Dayton and is married; Rose is a dressmaker, and resides with her parents; Albert conducts a boating house at Dayton View; Ida is the wife of Aloysius W. Kling, foreman of Walker's lithographic establishment in Dayton; Edward G. is an assistant to his father; Clara and Frankie are attending school. In their religious faith, the family are true Catholics. Mr. Philipps is a modest, unassuming gentleman, courteous and attentive to his many patrons. He well deserves the success which now attends him, and is equally deserving of the high esteem in which he is held by the citizens of Dayton, with many of whom his occupation necessarily brings him into association.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page