Fourth National Bank
Corner of Jefferson and East Third Streets
The rapid growth of the business interests of Dayton have demanded an increase of her baking business from time to time to keep pave with the needs of her business men. The latest addition to her moneyed institutions is the bank of which we now speak. This was established January 12, 1888, by men who position and successful business careers leave no room to doubt that its affairs will be ably and honorably conducted. The capital stock of the bank is $400,000 and at the close of its first year’s business it will realized a fund of undivided profits amounting to over $570,000, and deposits average about $450,000. This is a very gratifying and creditable showing taking into consideration the short time that the institution has been in existence. Its board of officers and directors includes the names of J.B Thresher, President; Torrence Huffman, Vice President; Ziba Crawford, Cashier; John W. Stoddard, Eugene J. Barney, William E. Crume, Edward Canby, C. J. Ferneding, Houston Lowe, and W. J. Shuey directors, gentlemen whos names are identified with many of the most extensive and important industries which promote and foster the commercial advance of Dayton, and which give standing and character to any enterprise with which they are connected. This bank does a regular discount, deposit and collection business, and cordially invites accounts of corporations, firms, and individuals. They bespeak the character and standing of her business men. Their management is liberal and many of the prosperous industries of this city owe much of their success to the fostering care which they have extended them. The Fourth National Bank especially is prepared with ample facilities, and its management extends an invitation to manufactures and others to locate here, and offers all needed assistance on a liberal business basis.
Froendhoff & Bierce
Corner of Fifth and Jefferson Streets
But a few years ago the consumption of chewing gum was but on a limited scale, but as manufacturers produced a much superior product than was made previously, the business received an increased impetus and now the sale of this delicious and healthful confection is enormous. Engaged in the manufacture of this product here we find the house of Messrs. Froendhoff and Bierce, which was originally established in 1886, the present firm succeeding in 1888. the premises occupied are located in the Central Block and are furnished with all appliances necessary for the production of a very superior article of chewing gum. The firm devote their energies to the manufacture of Tolu Chewing Gum which by its distinctive brands of F. & B.’s Original Orange Cream Chewing Gum, “Peppermint” ad “Snapper”, has gained the highest reputation in the trade. These goods are of the very best quality made from the best materials, strictly pure without a particle of adulteration and are first class in every particular. Every regard is paid to cleanliness in the possess of manufacture and the personal supervision of the proprietors is directed over all operations in the interest of the production of the highest class goods of the kind to be found in the market. Thus has resulted an extensive and rapidly growing business, which at present time confines its operations to supplying the trade of Ohio and adjoining states, and employs the services of two commercial travelers, but in the near future the firm intend to largely extend both the scope and volume of their business.
The members of the firm are Messrs. Edward J. Froendhoff and C. S. Bierce, both young men of energy and enterprise who are well known to the community. Mr. Bierce is the son of Mr. G. N. Bierce, of the Stilwell & Bierce Manufacturing Company of this city.
Alexander Gebhart & Company
Corner of Wayne Avenue and R. R.
A leading house engaged in the lumber trade of this city is the house of Messrs. Alexander Gebhart & Company, which was founded in 1852 as Gebhart Brothers, the present firm succeeding in 1880. The firm occupy commodius yards which cover an area of about two acres affording the best facilities for the storage of large quantities of the product. The shipping facilities are the best, the establishment being alongside of the railroad, so that lumber may be loaded and unloaded direct into the yards.
The house devotes its energies to the handling of lumber of various kinds, shingles, lath, posts, etc., also sash, doors, blinds, mouldings and frames, an the facilities available for furnishing the above, in quantities and dimensions to suit, are of the most ample character. The firm are intimately connected with the manufacture of lumber and lumber products of East Saginaw, Michigan, and thus are enabled to confer the same advantages upon the trade and their patrons as could be obtained in dealing with first hands and the original sources of supply direct. The trade of the house is largely local with builders, contractors, and others, but cargo and carload lots can also here be procured under the most favorable conditions.
The members of the firm are Messrs. Alexander Gebhart, Eugene Wuichet and Frank Wuichet, all of whom are well known residents of this city. Mr. Gebhart is also President of the Miami Valley Insurance Company, and Vice President of the Merchants National Bank. In conclusion we may say that in all attributes that would make transactions with it advantageous, this firm offers inducements to the trade and others difficult to procure elsewhere.
Joseph R. Gebhart & Son
320 East Third Street
One of the oldest milling establishments of southern Ohio is that now conducted under the auspices of Messrs. Joseph R. Gebhart & Son. There has been a flouring mill on the site where the present operations are conducted since the year 1840, although the present firm have only been its proprietors since the year 1873. The mill as now operated is a four-story brick building, 60 x 100 feet in dimensions, equipped with a full supply of improved machinery and appliances, the complete roller process being here in successful operation. There are fourteen sets of rolls, and the capacity of the establishment allows of the production of about one hundred barrels daily. The house grinds only winder wheat, which, by the utilization of the full roller process, has established its supremacy, and the flour is ahead of spring wheat flour, and will make a larger quantity and better bread than the best of patent spring wheat flour. The firm manufacture both flour and feed, and their brand of “Star of the West” flour is no surpassed in the market, and is held in the highest reputation throughout the states of Ohio, New York, and other localities.
The members of the firm are Messrs. Joseph R. Gebhart and H. Gebhart, both of whom devote their constant attention to the operations of the mills, personally supervising the various details of the work. The high estimation in which the products of the house are held has led to a wide demand and a thorough appreciation of their merits and quality.
Hoffritz & Keyer
Wyandotte Street and R. R.
The chief enterprise of its kind in Dayton is that of Messrs. Hoffritz and Keyer, which was founded in 1886. The firm occupy premises covering 40 x 60 feet in area, fitted with late improved machinery, operated by steam, and they furnish employment to about thirty-five artisans. The firm are manufacturers of cigar boxes of every kind and they annually turn out enormous quantities. Their Cedar, Veneer Cedar and Imitation Cedar is of the best in the market, and warranted strictly Sawed and Air Dried, and special attention is called to their Gold and Gold Bronze printed and Fancy flowered Lid Boxes finished in the latest style. In this department of their business they enjoy unusual facilities and make the very best if work. The facilities available and the perfect character of the plant enables the house to produce cigar boxes at the lowest prices and to promptly fill all orders, however large, and thus an extensive patronage has been built up through this State, Indiana, and Kentucky. They also handle cigar box labels, trimmings, edging and ribbons, also cedar veneered and imitation cigar box lumber. They procure their supplies direct from first hands in all cases, and buying in the largest quantities are enabled to confer marked advantages on their customers. The members of the firm, Messrs. Charles Hoffritz and L. W. Keyer, are both prominent members of the community and strictly honorable business men. They are prominent in society circles among our German residents and are both members of the Harmonia, Turners and other desirable German organizations.
Hoglen & Company
North Webster Street
The above enterprise dates back to the year 1848, when the business was founded by J. R. Hoglen, the present designation being adopted in 1889. The plant of the firm is of a very extensive nature, covering about three acres of ground. In addition to extensive lumber and log yards, storage sheds, etc., there is erected on the property a two-story frame saw mill which is furnished with its latest and best machinery suited to the business, including a circular saw of the unusual dimensions of five feet in diameter. Steam power from and engine of 45 horse power capacity is used to operate the machinery, and from twenty-five to thirty workmen are given employment.
The firm are bona fide manufactures of hard wood lumber, receiving the logs direct from the forest, and cutting them up and making them into lumber on the premises. The advantages of location give them every advantage, the sources of supply from which the logs are taken being within easy distance of this city. The varieties of Lumber which may be procured at this establishment are poplar, ash, walnut, cherry, hickory, linden, sugar maple, elm, sycamore, and beach; and these are supplied to dealers, manufacturers, builders, etc., at both wholesale and retail, a large local trade being effected in addition to extensive shipments being made to New York and other eastern points. The firm manufacturers about 1,500,000 feet of hard wood lumber annually, besides the large quantities handled by them which they purchase from country mills, and in addition they also make wire and lath fence ready to put up. This is sold by the rod. They also make hard wood lath for fences.
Their facilities in all respects are of the best, enabling them to promptly fill all orders at lowest current prices. They have large warehouses, barns, etc., and carry at a full stock of varieties, and the location of the plant being adjacent to river, railroad and canal gives every facility for the receipt of the logs and the dispatch of the lumber to destination. The exigencies of their extensive business entails the use of eighteen horses and a corresponding number of wagons and trucks delivering lumber in the vicinity or aiding in shipping it abroad. Thus it will at once be seen by the foregoing that this house is one of the most important in its special branch of trade in this section, and is possessed of facilities, which are not often duplicated, for supplying the trade within the circuit of its operations.
Since the demise of the late proprietor, the management of its affairs has devolved upon Mr. W. C. Ely, who has conducted it with increased prosperity.
The Kratochwill Milling Company
Oregon Flour Mills, Northeast corner of Sixth and Canal
Among the leading flour mills in this state is that of The Kratochwill Milling Company, which was established by Mr. Joseph Kratochwill in the years 1864. Oregon Flour Mills was organized in 1887.
The mill is a four-story brick and frame structure, 80 x 150 feet in dimensions, and there is in addition a three-story brick warehouse, 60 x 100 feet in area. The plant is of the best character, modern in all its appointments, comprising improved roller process machinery and other appliances which would be calculated to enhance the quality of the output and diminish the cost of production. Both water and steam power is employed to operate the equipment, the latter being derived from a steam engine of 185 horse power capacity. The mills are capable of producing six hundred barrels of flour daily, and the production, as a rule, falls but little short of the capabilities. The brands of flour by which these mills are known are Snowflake, Roller Patent, and Haymaker, and these are the best quality goods of flour of the grades specified that can be obtained anywhere being thoroughly reliable and honest goods, made by the best methods, and possessing all the elements of strength color purity and desirability. The trade of the house largely is in the Eastern States, where the flour is well known and appreciated.
The officers of the company are Messrs. George P. Huffman, President; James Kratochwill, Vice President and Manager, and James Turpin, Secretary and Treasurer. These are all well known and prominent citizens of Dayton, requiring from us no more than a passing mention. With every facility of attracting and holding a large patronage, this house has done much to enhance the notoriety of this city.
Kuntz & Johnson
Messrs. Kuntz & Johnson are extensive dealers in lumber of all kinds, flooring and matching, lath, shingles, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, brackets, window frames, and indeed everything in the way of interior finish for buildings. The facilities of the house are in every way complete. In the first place the assortment carried is ample, so that orders can be promptly filled to complete satisfaction. The quality of the goods is of the best, and furthermore the firm enjoy the most intimate relations with manufacturers, much of the stock being specially made for their trade, so that they are place in precisely the same position as if they were bona fide producers, with the additional advantage of being able to carry a more varied assortment. The trade of the house, in addition to a large patronage in this city and vicinity, is well spread over the state of Ohio, and is annually increasing. The premises occupied consists of a four0story brick warehouse, 40 x 150 fee, and a frame warehouse, 35 x 150, in addition to extensive yards for storage. The house founded in 1883 by Messrs. Peter Kuntz and Robert T. Johnson, both well known residents and enterprising business men. Handling only the best quality of lumber and its products at reasonable prices, this house is in a position to entirely satisfy all demands that may be made upon it.
Lambert & Clock
14 and 16 East Third Street
This establishment was originally founded some years ago by Mr. Augustus Sharp, but it has been conducted by the present firm since 1881. The premises comprise a building 110 x 40 feet in dimensions, in addition to the upper part of the adjoining building, where thirty to forty employees find occupation. The business of the house embraces the sale of dry goods, fancy goods, carpets, upholstery goods, notions, furnishing goods, wall papers, etc. Messrs. Lambert and Clock offer advantages to buyers possessed by but few concerns in the state, being large buyers and importers of so many different classes of goods. They are able from their stock to furnish a new house with everything required, excepting only furniture and house furnishing goods, and they sell every article of ladies’ and children’s wearing apparel, footwear only excluded, so that a lady can select a complete wardrobe for herself and children. Mr. William Lambert, the senior member of the firm, is a resident of New York, and he devotes himself to the purchase of goods on the spot. The resident member of the firm is J. H. Clock. Besides their retail trade, the firm do a considerable jobbing business in this vicinity, and they also conduct another store at Bloomington, Illinois. In conclusion we may say that the methods here in vogue are such as to stamp this concern as one of the vigorous exponents of the commercial activities of the Gem City.
Leland & Tiffany
102 South Canal Street
The house of Leland & Tiffany, founded in 1882, has since grown to be an important factor in the machinery industry of this city. Premises are occupied at the above address, where every facility is at hand, including steam power and all necessary tools, for the production of all kinds of machinery, a special feature of the business being the repairing of machinery and general jobbing. The energies of the firm are also largely devoted to the manufacture of Patent Cone Pulley Belt Shifters, a recent invention of great merit, and of Birch’s Patent Self-Tightening Coupling for Shafting. This latter device is designed to supersede the old way of fitting Keys, Bolts or Clamps as a fastener for Couplings, which is a long and much needed improvement. This Coupling has been given a through test for five years, where all other Couplings have failed to hold up to the work. By its use we do away with the perplexing trouble and expenses often experienced win removing Keys, Bolts, etc. It does not injure or waken the shaft. Is always self tightening and true. It has no projection, and is therefore always safe from the danger of catching or tearing of belts, killing or crippling workmen engaged in putting on or off the belts. It is neat in appearance and costs no more than the old method of Couplings. The invention consists of a coupling provided with a circular chamber, eccentric to the main chamber. The crescent-shaped wedge located in chamber and arranged to lock when turned in either direction, a gib on wedge running in the direction of the length of the shaft, and the shaft having longitudinal key-seat to engage with gib. The firm will furnish to those interested testimonials from many firms using these specialties and endorsing them in the highest terms. The new Crume & Sefton Manufacturing Company’s factory this city is fitted throughout with these couplings, as well as many others throughout the country. The facilities of the house are of a most favorable character, and all work turned out from the establishment can be relied upon for being of the best quality, carefully executed by competent and intelligent workmen under the immediate supervision of the members of the firm. The trade of the house is largely local, but its specialties are shipped to all points throughout the United States.
The members of the firm are Messrs. J. J. Leland and A. R. Tiffany, both young men and practical machinists, who devote their time and attention to the details of the establishment in the interests of their patrons. The house is altogether a reliable one, fully meriting the consideration of all interested.
Martin Brothers & Fritch
17 and 19 West Fourth Street
It was in October 1882, that the above house was established and ever since it has been one of the most popular in its line with the residents of this locality. A commodious and well arranged store is occupied at the above address, where may be found a large stock of pianos and organs of the best manufacture, including the Fischer, Haines Brothers, and Ecker Painos, and the Estey, Story & Clark and Hamilton Organs. The well known and wide world reputation of these instruments have demonstrated fully their merits. The house buys all it instruments under such conditions that they are enabled to offer them to the public at lowest prices. The goods are sold either for cash or on installments, the latter arrangements allowing of persons of limited means to acquire them upon easy terms. Other pianos and organs of reliable and good quality are also handled. The trade of the house in addition to Dayton is through twenty-one counties of the State, and its aggregate transactions amount annually to large sums. The members of the firm are Messrs. J. C. Martin, D. W. Martin and J. A. Fritch. W. Martin is also interested in a Patent Safety Truck for moving pianos, by means of which instruments can be safely moved from one place to another, or shipped abroad with the utmost facility. This is the invention of C. H. Martin, of Sioux City. It has rollers on every side and the piano is fastened by means of straps, so that whatever may be the position, either on its side or end, it can be easily handled by one man where formerly three or four were required. Messrs. Martin Brother & Fritch are the leaders in this branch of business in Dayton.
R. H. McDowell
704 to 710 East Fifth Street
The above enterprise was established by Mr. R.H. McDowell in 1881, upon a modest scale when compared with its present large operations. Indeed, in that period a single room was all that the scope of the business required. Day by day, however it advanced in the estimation of the public, and continued to expand. It has been and continues to be the policy of this house to offer to the public the best quality of goods that can be obtained at the lowest possible prices, finding rather emolument in large scales rather than large profits. The premises occupied are now of more extensive character filled with an endless assortment of China, Glassware, Queensware, Rockingham and Yellow Ware Decorated Dinner, Tea, and Chamber Sets, Novelties in Colored Glass Ware, House Furnishing Goods of all descriptions, Fancy Articles, etc. Mr. McDowell procures his supplies direct from manufactures, taking advantage of all discounts, and thus procuring goods upon identically the same terms as are enjoyed by the bona fide jobbers and wholesalers. He buys in the largest quantities, and all advantages derived are promptly shared with his customers. Mr. McDowell also does some jobbing with dealers within a forty mile radius of Dayton. The establishment entails the services of twenty-six assistants in the store. Mr. R.H. McDowell is a native of the Providence of Ulster, Ireland, and came to this country but a short time anterior to the establishment of this business here. He has demonstrated what can be achieved by means of determined enterprise and energy, by anticipating the public want, and by fair dealing and honorable methods.
Merchants National Bank
Corner of Third and Jefferson Streets
The Merchants National Bank of this city is among the best managed and most substantial institutions of the State of Ohio. Its career has been one of the most creditable character, alike conductive to the interest of the stockholders, depositors and customer. Its capital stock is $300,000, which is backed up with a surplus of $60,000, in addition to a fund of undefined profits amounting to $12,000. The deposits during the past fiscal year averaged $332,000, and the loans and discounts at the present date are about $520,000.
The management of the bank is in the hands of the following gentlemen: Col. D.E. Mead, President; Alex Gebhart, Vice President, and A.S. Estabrook, Cashier. The Board of Directors, in addition to the president and vice president, comprises Messrs. John R. Reynolds, J. C. Pierce. E.A. Daniels. D.L. Rike, Jas. Applegate N. Ohmer, and Sol Rau, all of whom may be said to be representatives of the most prominent elements of the city’s industry and prosperity, and men whose names inspire confidence equally to the bank’s customers and stockholders.
The business transacted by the bank includes the regular operations of institutions of this character, such as granting loans and discounts, receiving deposits, and making collections at all important centers. The principal correspondents of the bank are the Chemical National Bank, New York, and the First National Bank and Third National Bank of Cincinnati. The Merchants National Bank of Dayton was instituted February, 1871, and it has always been noted for its prompt and energetic yet conservative management, and has done much to enhance the welfare and advancement of this city by its judicious fostering of all reliable industrial endeavors.
Return to "Firms & Manufactories of Dayton" Home Page