SAMUEL SEARS, [pages 842-844] member of the Dayton board of education and a well-known dealer in wind engines and pumps, with his place of business at No. 319 East Fifth street, was born in Champaign county, Ohio, April 10, 1845. He is a son of John G. Sears, a native of Prince George county, Va., who came to Ohio about 1830, locating in the southern part of Montgomery county. His wife, Elizabeth Winder was a native of Ross county, Ohio, and was a daughter of Abner and Hope Winder, both of whom were natives of New Jersey.
The grandparents of Samuel Sears were Paul and Hulda Sears, the former of whom was a native of Virginia, and the latter of England. They were among the pioneers of Montgomery county, Ohio, were members of the Quaker church, and Hulda Sears was an active worker in that church and a preacher, her services in this capacity and her fame extending over Virginia, Maryland, Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio. She was also well known in England, as she preached in that country two years, as well as in Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Samuel Sears has several relics given as presents to his grandmother, such as a bull's eye watch, presented to her in England. All her labors were performed without compensation, and without expense to her, the church taking care of her during her travels.
John G. Sears and Elizabeth Winder were married in Champaign county, and came immediately to Montgomery county, where they resided for about six years, when they located on a farm near North Lewisburg, the farm being situated in the three counties of Champaign, Logan and Union. Their house was a station on the "underground railroad" for many years before the war, and they assisted many slaves on their road to liberty. Samuel Sears remembers several instances of escaping slaves, one case, in particular, where dogs were used in tracking fugitives, the hounds tracing them to his father's house. John G. Sears died on the above-mentioned farm in 1850, his widow remaining on the farm until 1866, when she gave up her home and lived the rest of her life with her children, being with a daughter in Cleveland, Ohio, at the time of her death, which occurred in 1894.
Samuel Sears was reared on his father's farm in Champaign county, remaining there until his father's death, when he went to live with an uncle in Logan county, remaining with this uncle until he was fourteen years of age. Then going to Clarke county he spent a year and a half on a farm, and then he and his brother took charge of the old home farm. After this he went to the uncle with whom he had previously lived and worked for him a part of a year, but returned to his mother on the home farm.
In 1864 he enlisted in company K, One Hundred and Thirty-second regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, serving until the following September. Up to this time, with the rest of the family, he had adhered to the Quaker church, but on account of his going to war, and because he refused to express regret for this action, he was disowned by his church. Subsequently he united with the Methodist Episcopal church.
After the close of the war he remained on the home farm until 1866, when he went to Greene county, rented a farm and remained there engaged in farming two years. While there he purchased the right for Montgomery county to a patent pump. Removing from the farm he located in Cedarville, Greene county, and was engaged in selling pumps one year, and in 1869 removed to Xenia, which place he made his home until 1881, when he finally located in Dayton, and has been a resident of this city ever since.
Politically Mr. Sears has always been a republican, but he has never sought office. While a resident of Greene county he was elected constable; but the election was entirely without his seeking and was unanimous. In 1895, in order to maintain the ward organization, but without hope of success in the election, his ward being heavily democratic, he consented to accept the nomination for member of the board of education, and after quite an active campaign, was elected by a majority of four votes, for a term of two years, the normal democratic majority being 326.
Mr. Sears was married in Xenia, Ohio, June 20, 1870, to Leonora A. Martin, born February 5, 1849, a daughter of Isaac and Laura Martin. To. this marriage there have been born the following children: Courtland M., deceased; Frederick H., member of the Dayton bar; an infant, deceased; and Walter E., now attending school in Dayton. Mr. Sears is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity and of the Grand Army of the Republic. He has always taken great interest in educational matters, and is an earnest worker in the cause of good schools. In religious circles and in the business world he is in high standing, and his character is unquestioned for probity and integrity.
Fred H. Sears, junior member of the law firm of Peebles & Sears, of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Xenia, Greene county, Ohio, February 5, 1872, and is a son of Samuel Sears, the well-known citizen and member of the Dayton board of education, of whom mention is made above.
Fred H. Sears was educated in the public schools of Dayton and at DePauw university, at Greencastle, Ind., entering that institution in 1890 and graduating in 1893. He read law with the regular course at DePauw, and while there was admitted to the bar of Indiana. In March, 1894, he was admitted to the Ohio bar, since which time he has been practicing his profession in Dayton, meeting with success, and establishing a reputation as one of the progressive, able and successful of the city's younger attorneys. Mr. Sears is a member of the Phi Gamma Delta and of the Delta Chi college fraternities, and also of the Ancient Essenic order. He is a republican in politics, but has never been an office-seeker.
ALBERT C. WHITE, [pages 844-845] member of the Dayton city council from the Tenth ward, and clerk in the freight office of the Erie Railroad company, was born in Hillsdale county, Mich., August 2, 1844. His parents were F. S. and Amelia White, the former of whom was a native of Massachusetts and the latter of New Jersey. After their marriage in Ohio they removed to Michigan, and there, six months after the birth of the subject of this sketch, his mother died. In 1867 his father returned to Ohio, locating at Chillicothe. Later in life he went to Alabama, and died near Mobile, that state, about 1880.
Albert C. White was educated in the public schools, and later spent two years in the Agricultural college in Michigan. In 1861 he received an appointment to a position in the United States treasury department in Washington, D. C., and in that city he spent the years of the late Civil war. In 1865 he was sent to Mobile, Ala., to take a place in the revenue department, his uncle, F. W. Kellogg, an ex-member of congress, from Michigan, being at that time collector of internal revenue for the Mobile district. He spent two years in the south, returning north in 1867 and joining his father at Chillicothe, Ohio, where he remained for nineteen years. During this time he filled various clerical positions, In January, 1886, he removed to Dayton, and in December following entered the freight office of the New York, Pennsylvania & Ohio division of the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad company, in which position he is still retained.
Politically, Mr. White has been a life-long republican, and has always taken an active interest in political affairs. In April, 1896, he was elected as a republican to the city council of Dayton from the Tenth ward, his official term expiring in the spring of 1898. While living in Chillicothe he was elected to the council from a democratic ward, notwithstanding that he was a republican, and he was one of the two republican members of that body.
Fraternally Mr. White is a member of the Odd Fellows order, of the Knights of Pythias, and of the Junior Order of American Mechanics. He is a member of Saint Paul's Methodist Episcopal church, located at the corner of Huffman avenue and May street, and established in 1884.
Mr. White was married in March, 1872, to Miss Jane Baldwin, of Ross county, Ohio, a daughter of Thomas Baldwin, deceased, a well known citizen of Ross county. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. White there has been born one child, F. Clifford White, who was born in Chillicothe in 1875. He was well educated in the public schools and is now in the employ of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad company, with his office in Dayton.
THOMAS WILL, [pages 845-846] engineer at the national military home, near Dayton, Ohio, was born in Germantown, Wayne county, Ind., June 9, 1853, and was educated and reared to manhood in his native state.
Thomas and Margaret (Senger) Will, his parents, were natives of the kingdom of Bavaria, and immediately after their marriage came to the United States, and about 1845 settled in the village mentioned above. To their marriage were born .ten children, of whom the eldest died in infancy, unnamed ; the others were born in the following order: Johan Henry, who is a mechanical engineer, residing at Minneapolis, Minn.; John and George Louis, both farmers of Delaware county, Ind.; Thomas ; Mary Annie, wife of William Lewick, of Delaware county, Ind.; Daniel, a traveling salesman, with his home in Minneapolis; Samuel, who died at the age of about twenty-eight years; Adam, a salesman and farmer, residing in Huntington, Ind., and Louisa, who died at the age of two and one-half years. Thomas, the father of this family, died in Indiana at the age of fifty-three years, and the mother at the age of forty-eight.
Thomas Will, whose name opens this sketch, worked at farming until he attained man's estate, when he learned engineering, and since 1873 has acted as engineer in sawmills, flouring-mills, wagon factories, and in other places where steam was used as motive power. In April, 1888, Mr. Will came to Dayton and was selected as fireman for the pumping machinery of the military home, and this position he filled until 1891, when he was put in charge of the lake pump house, which position he has since filled.
December 18, 1884, Mr. Will was united in marriage with Miss Louisa Adams, a native of Franklin, Ohio, the ceremony taking place at Winchester, Randolph county, Ohio. Two children have come to bless this union and are named Carl Edward and Albert Royce, both now at school. Mr. Will has a pleasant residence near the military home, where he passes the hours of leisure and rest. He has not lost one day from duty since taking his present place eight years ago, although the managers allow ten days "off duty" each year with pay. In politics Mr. Will leans toward the principles of the democratic party, and fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
ALBERT MILTON WILLIAMSON, M. D., [pages 846-847] of No. 122 South Broadway street, Dayton, was born at Russellville, Brown county, Ohio, April 28, 1844. He is a son of John and Nancy J. (Henry) Williamson, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of Brown county, Ohio, and daughter of John C. Henry, who was born in this state of Irish parents. John Williamson, the grandfather of Dr. Williamson, moved from Amwell, N. J., to Kentucky, and later removed to Ohio, settling in Brown county, where he died at an advanced age. He married a Miss Dalrymple, of New Jersey, who, like himself, was of English ancestry.
John Williamson and Nancy J. Henry were married in Brown county, Ohio, and there reared a family of seven children, all of whom became useful members of society, namely: Albert M., of this mention; Martha E., wife of Amos McKinley, of Russellville, Ohio; J. Henry, deceased; A. Wilson, who is secretary and treasurer of the Peck-Williamson Heating & Ventilating company, of Cincinnati, Ohio; Samantha J., wife of John D, Seip, of Russellville, Ohio; Lizzie E., who became the wife of George E. Sidwell, of Russellville, and died in April, 1893; and William C., who is president of the Helmig, Williamson Shoe company, of Cincinnati.
The father of this family was for several years a successful farmer and speculator, but later in life engaged in hotel keeping. He died in Brown county, Ohio, January 29, 1888, at the age of seventy-one years. His widow is still living, and is an honored resident of the county in which she was born.
Albert M. Williamson was reared on a farm, receiving his elementary education in the public schools before the war, and afterward in higher schools. In June, 1862, being then but eighteen, he enlisted in the Fourth independent company of Ohio volunteer cavalry, in which he served with honor until the close of the war. During the last year of his service, he was on detached duty at the headquarters of the army of the Tennessee, commanded by Gen. McPherson, and later by Gen. 0. 0. Howard, and was the messenger who bore the dispatch to Gen. Grant, informing him of the battle of Champion Hills. He was a member of a detail to carry prisoners to the rebel lines in exchange for Gen. Grant's adjutant, Gen. Rawlins, who was captured at Holly Springs, Miss. He was mustered out of the service at Columbus, Ohio, after participating in the grand review at Washington, D. C.
After being mustered out of service, young Williamson began preparation for his life work, attending high school, and later the National Normal university at Lebanon, Ohio, after which he engaged in teaching for a time. He began the study of medicine with Dr. J. N. Salisbury, of Russellville, and attended the Starling Medical college, at Columbus, Ohio. Thence he went to the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, receiving his degree from that institution in March, 1871. Soon after his graduation he located at Russellville, Ohio, and there successfully practiced his profession for sixteen years, and in May, 1887, removed to Dayton, where he has since been engaged in practice.
Dr. Williamson is a close student of his profession and keeps himself well abreast of the times. He is a member of the Brown county Medical society, of the Montgomery county Medical society, of the state Medical association, and of the American Medical association. The doctor was the last surgeon of the Thirteenth regiment, 0. N. G., previous to its consolidation with the Third regiment. In social and fraternal orders he takes an active interest, being a member of Russelville lodge, No. 166, F. & A, M.; of Georgetown chapter, No. 52, R. A. M.; of Fraternal lodge, No. 510, I. 0. 0. F.; of Hope lodge, No. 277, Knights of Pythias; and of Hiram Strong post, No. 79, G. A. R., of Dayton. Politically, he is a republican, and has held several minor offices, serving for six years as a member of the city board of health.
Dr. Williamson was married, March 23, 1871, at Russellville, to Miss Emma Salisbury, a daughter of Dr. Salisbury, and a native of that city. To this union three children have been born, namely: Frederick E., who Is engaged in business in Dayton; Pliny W., a student at Oberlin, and Florence, at home. Dr. Williamson and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church, and take an active interest in all religious work. The doctor is essentially a self-made man, and his success in life is the result of his enterprise, industry and integrity. He is a valued citizen, who enjoys the respect and confidence of the community in which he lives.
ISAIAH B. WILSON, M. D., [page 847] physician and surgeon, of Dayton, Ohio, with his office at No. 66 East Jones street, has been a resident of the city for the past nineteen years. He was born in Montgomery county, December 28, 1853, and is a son of Bartholomew and Margaret A. (Brenner) Wilson.
Isaiah B. Wilson was educated at the Otterbein university, Westerville, Ohio, and afterward studied medicine with Dr. A. R. Moist, now of Dayton, Ohio, but then of Sulphur Grove, Montgomery county. Afterward he attended and graduated from the Miami Medical college, of Cincinnati, Ohio, being a member of the class of 1877. He immediately afterward located in Dayton, on Jones street, where he has ever since been engaged in general practice, and has met with much success.
Dr. Wilson was married February 5, 1891, to Mrs. Emma Giles, a daughter of Absalom Westfall. She was born in Shelby county, Ohio, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Dr. Wilson is one of the broad-minded, practical citizens of Dayton, and is doing his part in advancing her best interests.
MILTON E. WILLIAMSON, M. D., [pages 847-848] residing at 126 North Jefferson street, Dayton, and one of the rising young physicians of the state, was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, August 29, 1859, and is a son of Eleazar and Eliza (Abercrombie) Williamson, both members of Montgomery county's oldest-settled families.
Milton E. Williamson's early boyhood and manhood were passed on his father's farm, assisting in arduous agricultural labor, developing his muscle and expanding his brain. After a full preparatory course of education in the district schools he attended Xenia college two years and also spent three years in the Wesleyan university, Delaware, Ohio, meanwhile reading medicine under Dr. John Turnbull, of Bellbrook, Ohio. He then entered the Ohio Medical college, at Cincinnati, from which he was graduated March 5, 1885, at the head of his class, having devoted all of ten years of hard study in preparing himself for his chosen profession. He then took a special course in the study of diseases of the eye, in the treatment of which he has since met with decided success and established for himself a most enviable reputation. He first opened his office for practice in New Paris, Preble county, Ohio, where his ability soon won for him a large patronage in general practice, and where he performed a number of complicated and difficult operations in surgery, being at the time surgeon for the Pennsylvania railroad company. But the field of his practice was somewhat cramped, and, with a view of enlarging its scope, he, on March 19, 1889, came to Dayton, where his recognized skill has gained for him a large and lucrative list of reliable and constant patrons.
The doctor is a member of the international congress of physicians and surgeons; is examining physician for the Prudential Life Insurance company; and also chairman of the district examining board. He is a strong advocate of morality in all its phases, and is ever ready to direct the young in the paths of virtue and right. In politics he is a republican, and in religion affiliates with the Third street Presbyterian church. His popularity in his profession has been and is of steady growth, and in Dayton's social circles he is always a most welcome visitor.
WILLIAM L. WINCHELL, [pages 848-849] residence 1326 Wayne avenue, one of the oldest and best known citizens of Dayton, Ohio, was born in North East, Dutchess county, N. Y., August 31, 1827, and is a son of William and Laura E. (Lawrence) Winchell, of English ancestry. The father, William, was a merchant, and lived to the advanced age of ninety-two years, and the mother lived until eighty-two years old, both dying in Springfield, Ohio. Their family comprised, beside William L., two sons and two daughters, viz: James Frank, of Springfield, who is noted for his many inventions of farming implements and mechanics' tools; Flora A., a member of the family of her brother William since the death of her parents, whom she filially cared for until their end; Elizabeth, who was married to E. P. H. Capron, a contractor in machinery, but died in Norwalk, Conn., in May, 1896; and Helen, the wife of Capt. J. V. Davis, who has had charge of the National cemetery, at Alexandria, Va., for twenty-three years.
William L. Winchell was educated at the Sheffield Collegiate institute, Conn., studied medicine, but did not enter upon its practice; he then prepared himself for the profession of teacher, and for twelve years taught school in his native state. He was then elected county superintendent of schools of Dutchess county, held the position for about five years, when he resigned and came to Ohio, in 1853, locating in Yellow Springs, Greene county. Here he took charge of the Christian Publishing house for two years, being for a portion of that time editor of the Gospel Herald. He then came to Dayton and married Miss Lidie A. Reesor, daughter of Jacob Reesor, a pioneer business man, extensively engaged in packing and favorably known to all the old residents of Dayton. This marriage was solemnized October 18, 1855, and the following six months were spent in traveling throughout the east. On his return Mr. Winchell joined his father-in-law in business, which connection continued until about 1860.
War being now imminent, in 1860 Mr. Winchell joined the Dayton Light Guards, and was engaged in drilling recruits for the front until 1863, and of thirty-five men who passed under his instruction, twenty-eight afterward held commissions above the rank of captain. In 1864 Mr. Winchell entered the service as first lieutenant of company B, One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and was sent to Baltimore, Md., where he was at once detached from his company and placed on the military commission authorized by the president for the trial of deserters, bounty jumpers, and traitors who aided the enemy, and his entire term was spent in this service. On his return to Dayton he entered on his duties as a member of the board of education, to which position he had been elected and qualified prior to his enlistment. He served ten years on this board, and during this period edited the first manual or graded course of study for the city schools; also prepared a graded course in German —intermediate and higher—which is still in force. He was deputy county auditor in 1864, and had charge of the school department; in 1867 or 1868 he was elected clerk of the first metropolitan police force, but the law authorizing this organization was repealed two years later and the city returned to the old police system. Mr. Winchell also served as police clerk under Mayor Baumann and then under Mayor Morrison, and was next made chief deputy under Recorder Owen for three years. For the past eighteen years he has been engaged in book-keeping, principally for the undertaking firm of Berk & Fry, but is frequently employed as an expert in adjusting complicated accounts.
Mrs. Lidie A. Winchell was called to her final rest in 1889, leaving surviving her four sons and one daughter, viz: Charles R., a machinist, who has been employed by Smith & Vaile for the past fifteen years, and is married; Jennie L., wife of Jacob Perrine, a patternmaker ; Ward P., a graduate of Annapolis Naval academy and past assistant engineer of the United States navy, now making a trip around the world with fifty cadets; Willie T., a trunkmaker by trade, married, and a resident of Columbus; Harry L., of Dayton, married, and a painter and decorator by trade.
Mr. Winchell has been an active and prominent member of the I. 0. 0. F. for twenty-eight years, and has filled all the chairs of the subordinate lodge ; he has also been a representative to the grand lodge of Ohio two terms, and holds membership at present in Dayton lodge, No. 273, and Gem City encampment, No. 116, of which he is a past-chief patriarch ; he is also a member of Old Guard post, G. A. R., of Dayton. He has been a member of the city board of health, and no man in Dayton has taken greater interest in educational matters. He united with the Baptist church, in his native state, in 1842, and transferred his membership to the First Baptist church of Dayton, in 1853.
CAPT. JOHN H. WINDER, [pages 849-853] a retired business man of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Funkstown, Washington county, Md., October 22, 1832. His parents, John and Rebecca (Schlencker) Winder, were also natives of Maryland, and of German descent. John Winder was born in 1812 and his wife in 1808, and in 1835 they came to Ohio and located on a farm twelve miles north of Dayton, whence they removed to Centerville, Ind., but returned to Dayton in 1847. Of their children, beside John H., one son and one daughter are still living—Silas D., a brick-layer, and Julia A., widow of William Snell, both residents of Dayton. The mother of these children died in this city in 1888, but the father survived until 1892, when he, too, was called away, both, it will be seen, having lived to the advanced age of eighty years.
John H. Winder was a mere babe when brought to Ohio by his parents, and a lad of about fifteen years when they settled in Dayton permanently. He was educated in the public schools of Indiana and of this city and his earlier business life was begun in the wholesale shoe and notion business, under the firm name of Coffman, Winder & Co. His first enlistment took place in April, 1861, for the three months' service with the Dayton Light Guards, with which organization he had been connected for ten years prior to the opening of the war, and which was one of the first militia companies to leave Dayton for the front as Ohio volunteers. Mr. Winder was made orderly sergeant of his company, and when mustered into the United States service at Lancaster, Pa., was commissioned first lieutenant. The company was the first to report to the governor of Ohio and was given the position of honor—that of company C, First Ohio volunteer infantry. The First and Second Ohio regiments were the only ones representing the west at the first battle of Bull Run, and, in this opening fight of the great Rebellion, Lieut. Winder covered there treat in line of battle from Manassas to Washington. After the expiration of his three months' term, the lieutenant returned to Dayton, sold out his business, and accepted a position as clerk in the office of the county treasurer, but kept up the Light Guards organization.
Early in 1862 Lieut. Winder re-entered the army as captain of company I, Eighty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, also for three months, served chiefly in guarding the fords along the upper Potomac river, and was in Cumberland when the rebels made a dash and captured Gen. Kelley at a hotel in that town. In 1863 Capt. Winder entered the Fourth independent battalion, Ohio volunteer cavalry, known as Tod's Scouts, to serve six months; but the duty, mostly scouting, was extended to nine months. He commanded company B, of this regiment, having declined a major's commission, feeling in honor bound to stand by the company with which he had entered the regiment. The service of this regiment was chiefly rendered in the vicinity of Cumberland Gap, and Capt. Winder commanded the first Union force that ever entered Tazewell road, in southern Virginia. These three enlistments, which were nominally to cover one year only, were prolonged to a period of about one year and a half. On his return to Dayton, Capt. Winder engaged in the marble trade until 1876. In 1876-77 he served as chief of the Dayton fire department, and then, as a member of the firm of Huber & Winder, he engaged in mercantile business until 1881, when he sold out his interest, and the following year was one of leisure. He then engaged as book-keeper and superintendent of a wholesale and retail furniture establishment until April, 1895, when the proprietor died and the business was discontinued, since which time the captain has lived in retirement.
Capt. Winder was most happily united in marriage September 1, 1853, with Miss Joanna Kinney, a native of Clear Spring, Va., and a daughter of Jonathan Kinney, a former resident of Dayton. This union resulted in the birth of two children, viz: Charles A., who is married and carries on a collection agency in Dayton, and Ella M., who is still under the parental roof and unmarried. Both these children have enjoyed very superior educational advantages.
Capt. Winder is very prominent in his society relations, being a member of Old Guard post, G. A. R.; Dayton lodge, No. 273, I. 0. 0. F., of which he is a past grand; is also a member of the encampment; has been a member of Miami lodge, No. 32, K. of P., for twenty-five years, and has been commander of Dayton division, No. 5, uniform rank, for the past eight years; he held membership with the I. 0. R. M., and is a past grand officer in the Knights of Honor; he also affiliated with the order of American Mechanics while that organization existed ; of the last-named order he was the first candidate initiated in Dayton lodge, No. 273, and during his forty years' membership was never reported sick. In politics the captain is an active working republican; in religion, Mrs. Winder is a member of the Baptist church, while Miss Winder is a member of the Reform church. Socially, the family stand very high, and the captain is regarded as one of the most useful and substantial of Dayton's soldier citizens.
WILSON G. TANNER, [page 853] late of the shoe firm of Diers & Tanner, of 104 South Main street, Dayton, was born in Preble county, Ohio, April 7, 1857, and is a son of Michael L. and Mary (Banta) Tanner, the former of whom is now deceased.
Michael L. Tanner, a Virginian, was a merchant of West Manchester, Preble county, Ohio, for a number of years, and in 1865 came to Dayton, where he was employed as a traveling salesman for a wholesale grocery house, and in this employment he passed the remainder of his days, dying in May, 1871, being reputed one of the best salesmen that ever traversed Ohio and eastern Indiana. He was very prominent in the circles of Odd Fellowship, and in politics was a republican. His children were four in number and were born in the following order: Wilson G.; William H., a conductor on the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad; Charles F., floor manager for Diers & Tanner; and Flora, deceased.
Wilson G. Tanner was reared in Dayton, and attended the public schools until sixteen years of age, although at the age of twelve he began clerking during the summer months, or vacations, and from fourteen until eighteen was engaged in farming. At seventeen he began teaching during the winter months, following this life for three years, and at the age of twenty years entered the employ of Anderson & Maxton, as bookkeeper, which position he retained three years. For the following eight years he had charge of the books of the United Brethren Publishing company, and was then, for four years, cashier for the Mutual Home & Savings association. In 1892 he formed a partnership with August F. Diers, in the shoe trade, at the corner of Fifth and Jefferson streets, whence the business was removed, in 1893, to its present quarters, at 104 South Main street, this salesroom being modern and commodious and stocked with the largest assortment of the various styles of footwear to be found in Dayton. Here a very active and prosperous trade has been built up through the united energies of the two young partners ; but a short time since Mr. Tanner was obliged, by reason of ill health, to retire from the firm, selling his interest to Mr. Diers.
For fifteen years Mr. Tanner was recording secretary of the board of directors of the Young Men's Christian association, and is still a member of the board ; he is a Knight Templar in the Free & Accepted Masonic fraternity, is an Odd Fellow and a member of the Independent Order of Foresters, having passed all the chairs in the latter order; is a member of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, of the Garfield club and of the board of trade.
The marriage of Mr. Tanner took place April 20, 1882, to Miss Emma Miller, daughter of William C. and Mary ( Shuey ) Miller, the union resulting in the birth of two children— Mary, now deceased, and Flora. Mr. and Mrs. Tanner are members of the High street United Brethren church, in which Mr. Tanner is chairman of the board of trustees and is also a class leader. The home of the family is at No. 37 High street, where their social companionship is of the most agreeable character.
JOSEPH MILTON WINE, M. D., [pages 853-854] physician and surgeon, of Dayton, having his office at No. 1833 East Fifth street, was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, December 11, 1865. He is a son of D. D. and Susie (Miller) Wine, both of whom are living in Covington, Miami county, Ohio, the family being one of the oldest in that county.
D. D. Wine was born in Harrisonburg, Rockingham county, Va., in 1839, and belonged to one of the oldest families, in the state. He was living in Virginia when the war broke out, and was a Union man; but being drafted into the southern army he fought only until he .had an opportunity to desert, when he took advantage of his opportunity and came north in 1862. He settled in Montgomery county, Ohio, one mile west of Dayton, and there engaged in farming. He married Miss Susie Miller, of Dayton, on February 1, 1865, she being the daughter of Joseph and Catherine Miller, old settlers of the county. Mr. Wine continued to follow farming in Montgomery county until 1874, when he removed to Miami county, locating south of Covington, where he has ever since resided. He is one of the prominent men of his locality, being president of the Crescent Metallic Fence company, of Covington, Ohio, and of the German Baptist Mutual Insurance company, of Covington, Ohio. D. D. Wine and his wife are the parents of eight children, as follows; Joseph M.; Wilford, a physician of Troy, Ohio; Mary, a teacher in the public schools, living at home; Bertha, Martha, John, Alice and Grace.
Joseph M. Wine was educated first in the public schools, and afterward attended the Western Normal school at Ada, Ohio. After teaching school for three years, he began the study of medicine, reading with Dr. A. S. Rosenberger, of Covington, Ohio, and then attended the Chicago Homeopathic Medical college, graduating from that institution in the class of 1891. He was then, for eighteen months, intern, or physician and surgeon, of the Cook county hospital, securing the position in a competition by himself and eight others. His class contained sixty-six members, and in this class Dr. Wine stood second at graduation. He received a diploma of honor for services in the hospital. In the fall of 1892 he went to Toronto, Ontario, where he served as house physician in a hospital for six months, after which he spent six months in practice in Covington, Ohio, and in the fall of 1893 located in Dayton; in this city, in the comparatively short space of two years, he has succeeded in building up a nourishing practice. Dr. Wine is a member of the Dayton Homeopathic Medical society and also of the Miami valley Homeopathic Medical society. He is a member of the First German Baptist church, takes great interest in its work and success, and is one of the public-spirited and enterprising young men and physicians of Dayton.
CAPT. WILLIAM J. WINTER [pages 854-855] is the son of Thomas Winter, a native of England, whose birth occurred in the year 1784 and who came to the United States in 1819, locating near Cincinnati, Ohio. Here he married Mary Ann Wingert, a native of Pennsylvania, and for a number of years followed the tailor's trade, and later accumulated a competence in mercantile business. Thomas and Mary Ann Winter reared a family of four children, one son, the subject of this sketch, and three daughters, all of whom are living at this time. The eldest daughter, Elizabeth S., widow of Edwin S. Winter, resides on Price's Hill, a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio; Mary A., wife of Capt. S. C. Mclntyre, lives at Rossmoyne, Ohio, and Ella H. is the wife of Frank Monroe, head entry clerk in the extensive mercantile house of John Shillito & Co., Cincinnati.
William J. Winter was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, August 5, 1839, and received his education in the public schools of the city, which he attended at intervals until early manhood. His first employment was in the Cincinnati post-office, and covered a period of about five years. Later, he spent two years in the general ticket office of the 0. &.M. railway, where he was engaged at the outbreak of the Civil war. With patriotic valor, he resigned his place and responded to the first call of President Lincoln for three-month volunteers, enlisting on the 19th day of April, 1861, in company G, Fifth Ohio infantry. The period of enlistment was spent principally at camps Harrison and Dennison, and, at the expiration of the term, the regiment re-enlisted at the latter place for three years. For some time the regiment remained unassigned, but was finally attached to the command of Gen. Shields and saw its first active duty in the Shenandoah valley, participating in the battle of Winchester. August 11, 1862, Capt. Winter was ordered to Columbus, Ohio, for the purpose of assisting in the recruiting service, and later he was connected with the general engineering corps, his duty being the taking of photographs and making maps and drawings of fields, buildings, defenses, etc. During this important service, in which he was engaged until the close of the war, he was often in possession of information not generally had by subordinate officers, and he rendered valuable assistance to his superiors along the line of the secret service.
Following his discharge, which he received at Louisville, Ky., in 1865, Capt. Winter was a bookkeeper in Cincinnati until his father's death, at which time, 1866, he removed to Springfield, Ohio, and engaged in photography. He continued business until defective eyesight compelled him to dispose of his gallery, when, in February, 1891, he came to the National Home, D. V. S., to have his ailment properly treated. As soon as his eyes were sufficiently benefited, he was placed in command of company Twenty-nine, and had charge of the same until transferred in August, 1892, to the command of company Two, his present position. The captain has 111 beds in his ward and carries the names of 150 men upon the books of the company which he commands. His record while in the active service of his country is all that could be expected of a brave and conscientious soldier, and since entering upon official life, he has discharged his duty with commendable fidelity and proven himself worthy of the confidence of his superiors. In politics the captain is a democrat, but not an aggressive partisan; he was for some time a member of the G. A. R., in which he held the position of adjutant-general of Ohio for three years, but at this time he is not identified with any social or secret organization. He is a widower and the father of two children— Mary, wife of Samuel W. Hornbrook, a contractor and builder of Maplewood, Ohio, and Frank A., assistant foreman in the office of the Inter Ocean, Chicago.
LEWIS W. WINTERS, [pages 855-856] who is a member of the successful firm of W. F. Haas & Company, dealers in bicycles, in Dayton, Ohio, is to be noted as one of the enterprising and capable young business men of the city. A native of Carlisle, Warren county, this state, Mr. Winters was born on the 22d of August, 1874, his parents being John C. and Sarah Amanda (Hendrickson) Winters, representing respective ancestral lines of German and Scotch-French extraction. They still reside in Carlisle. The father has been engaged in railroading and express business the greater portion of his life. He began work as a telegraph operator when he had attained his majority, and from that time he was promoted to higher positions of trust in connection with railway affairs, being employed in various capacities. For two years he was agent of the Erie Express company in Dayton, and for an equal length of time acted as cashier of the Dayton office of the United States Express company. During many years he has made Carlisle his home, though his duties have demanded his frequent and continued absence. At the present time he is the agent of the Cincinnati, Jackson & Mackinaw railroad in Franklin, Ohio. He was born June 17, 1846, and his marriage to Sarah Amanda Hendrickson was consummated in Carlisle. Lewis W. is the only child born to them.
Lewis W. Winters passed his childhood years in the town of his birth, where he attended the public schools and gained the rudiments of his education, supplementing this by a course of study in the schools of Dayton. At the age of seventeen years he entered the employ of the Cincinnati, Jackson & Mackinaw railroad in the capacity of telegraph operator at Franklin, this state, and occupied that position for one year, after which, in the spring of 1894, he came to Dayton. Here he was employed as bookkeeper in the establishment of A. W. Gump, with whom he remained until the time when he associated himself with Mr. Haas in the purchase of the business with which he had been connected; and he has since had the management of the enterprise, which he has brought to a highly successful condition, by reason of his interest, progressive spirit and well directed efforts. He is recognized as one of the live and energetic young business men of the city, and one whose every action is guided by principles of integrity and honor. Mr. Winters is an active and zealous member of the Y. M. C. A., and his religious affiliations are with the Presbyterian church. He enjoys a large acquaintanceship in Dayton, and his genial nature has secured to him a distinctive popularity. Of the business enterprise with which he is identified specific mention is made in connection with the sketch of the life of his associate, Mr. Haas.
MILTON WOLFE [pages 856-857] has been a resident of the city of Dayton since the centennial year—1876. He is a native son of Ohio, having been born in Logan county on the first day of the year, 1848, the son of George and Olive (Hendricks) Wolfe, who were respectively of German and New England stock and lineage. The father was a substantial and honored farmer in Champaign county, Ohio, and there his son Milton was reared to the sturdy and invigorating work of the farm, receiving his educational training in the district schools of the vicinity. He remained at home until he was about sixteen years of age, when, after successfully teaching a district school for one term, he went to Youngstown, Ohio, where he devoted himself to the study of the photographic art, in which he became highly proficient. In 1867 he went to Chicago, where he entered one of the leading studios, whose work represented the maximum of excellence in photographic processes. He remained in Chicago for about three years, during which time he attained a high degree of skill in every branch of the artist's work.
Mr. Wolfe made his initial business venture by opening a studio at Richmond, Ind., and success attended his efforts in this old Quaker city, where he continued for about four years, after which he came to Dayton and effected the purchase of the business which he has since continued without interruption. He stands today in the front rank of his profession in Dayton, having achieved marked artistic and business success. He does all kinds of photographic work and his productions compare favorably with those of the leading metropolitan studios. In 1888 he began the manufacture of screen plates for use in half-tone photographic engraving processes. At that time there were but few engaged in this line of manufacture, as the reproductive process was as yet in its infancy, and at the present time Mr. Wolfe's plates are known throughout the Union for their superiority, being of special design and construction. In fact, the Wolfe screen plates are known in every section of the world where engraving is being done by the photographic process. He has built up a. most extensive business in this direction, and has found it expedient to give his attention very largely to this branch of his enterprise. In 1895 he still further increased the facilities of his establishment by engaging in the manufacture of plates for use in the three-color process, utilizing methods which have been the result of his personal investigations and experiments. The results secured have been gratifying in the extreme, and he is producing some most excellent work in this orthochromatic photography, the same being principally utilized for commercial purposes. The accessories of his studio are of the most modern and approved order, and he retains in his employ only the most capable of assistants.
In his fraternal associations Mr. Wolfe has advanced to high degrees in the Masonic order, having taken the thirty-second degree of the Scottish rite. He is a member of Mystic lodge, No. 405, A. F. &A. M.; Unity chapter, No. 16, R. A.M., and Reed commandery, No. 6, Knights Templar. He is also identified with the Knights of Pythias, being a member of lola lodge, No. 83.
Mr. Wolfe is one of the progressive and public-spirited business men of Dayton, whose advancement and material prosperity he has closely at heart.
GEORGE H. WOOD, [page 857] member of the Dayton bar, was born in Dayton, Ohio, on November 3, 1867, and is the son of Gen. Thomas J. Wood, United States army, retired, one of Dayton's most distinguished citizens. After obtaining his preliminary education George H. Wood entered the Sheffield Scientific school of Yale university, where he was graduated in the class of 1887. He next entered the Cincinnati Law school, where he was graduated with honors at the head of the class of '89. He was admitted to the bar in February, 1890, and spent two years following in the office of the law firm of Young & Young and of R. D. Marshal], of Dayton, since which time he has practiced law alone. Mr. Wood is a member of the Loyal Legion, of the Sons of Veterans and of the Dayton club.
WILLIAM F. WOLLENHAUPT, [pages 857-858] mail carrier, of Dayton, Ohio, is a native of this city, and was born December 10, 1854, a son of Henry A. and Carolina C. L, (Waltemathe) Wollenhaupt, old residents of Dayton.
Henry A. Wollenhaupt was born in Germany in 1830, and was a boy when brought to America by his parents, who came direct to Dayton. He received a common-school education in Germany, and on reaching Dayton worked at tailoring until the outbreak of the Civil war, when he enlisted in company B, First Ohio volunteer infantry, for three years. His brother, Christ, who enlisted at the same time and in the same company, was killed in the battle of Missionary Ridge, in November, 1863, but Henry A. lived to take part in all the battles in which his regiment was engaged, and at the end of his term of three years was honorably .discharged. On his return to Dayton he found employment with the Dayton Car works, with which he remained several years, when he was employed at the works of the Farmers' Friend company, manufacturers of agricultural implements, but now known as a part of the Stoddard Manufacturing company, and with this company he worked until 1892, when he retired from active labor.
The marriage of Henry A. Wollenhaupt took place in Dayton, May 15, 1851, to Carolina C. L. Waltemathe, who was born July 1, 1833, at Krainhagen by Obernkirchen Kurhessen, Germany, and died in Dayton, Ohio, October 16, 1896, the mother of sixteen children. Mr. Wollenhaupt is a member of Saint John's Lutheran church and of the Grand Army of the Republic.
William F. Wollenhaupt received a limited education in the public schools of Dayton, and at the age of nine years began work in the T. A. Phillips & Son's cotton mills, where he remained until the fall of 1869, when he entered the cigar factory of Munday & Laubach as an apprentice; was one year confined to stripping tobacco, and then advanced to the position of cigarmaker. He worked for this firm until 1874, when, having learned the trade, he was offered the foremanship of the Hanna Bro.'s cigar manufactory, which he accepted and retained until October, 1889. November 1, 1889, he received his appointment as mail carrier under the Harrison administration, and is still faithfully performing the duties of that office.
Mr. Wollenhaupt was married, May 15, 1877, to Miss Anna C. Lang, daughter of George and Theresa (Sebald) Lang, who were both born in Germany. Mrs. Wollenhaupt was born in Dayton, Ohio, December 27, 1857, and was educated in the common and parochial schools. To this union have been born five children—Blanche Emma (deceased), Laura Agnes, Clarence Eugene (deceased), Ralph Joseph, and Irene Antoinette. The parents are members of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic church, and Mr. Wollenhaupt is a member of the Knights of Saint John, being treasurer of commandery No. 104 of Holy Trinity church, having held the office since 1891. February 25, 1896, he was elected second vice-commander of commandery No. 104, uniform rank. He was a delegate to the twelfth annual convention of the order at Columbus, Ohio; also to the seventeenth annual convention at Evansville, Ind., and the eighteenth annual convention at Dayton, and has also attended other conventions of the order. He is a member of the Sons of Veterans of Dayton, and was the delegate of that order to the convention held at Hillsboro, Ohio, in February, 1896. He is likewise a member of Court Cooper, Independent Order of Foresters, and of the Catholic Gesellen Verein. Mr. Wollenhaupt is also a member of the National Association of Letter Carriers of Dayton; was elected at their first meeting as financial secretary, and later chosen to represent the Dayton branch at the seventh annual convention, held at Grand Rapids, Mich., in September, 1896. In politics he is a republican.
Mr. Wollenhaupt resides with his family at No. 353 East Xenia avenue. He owns his home, and also the old home of his wife, No. 250 South Henry street. He and his family stand in high estimation in society and church circles, while as a citizen his name is without a blemish.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page