ELI DIEHL, [pages 956-958] of Perry township, is one of the prosperous farmers of Montgomery county, and a descendant of one of its oldest pioneer families. His ancestry were of the stock for generations known as Pennsylvania Dutch. Jacob Diehl, his grandfather, was from Huntingdon county, Pa., and married a Miss Shipley. To their marriage there were born the following children: John, Jacob, Abraham, Nancy and Elizabeth. Jabob Diehl settled in Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1806, in Jefferson township, two miles west of Liberty, entering land which was covered with timber, which he cleared, cultivated and made into a productive farm. After some years he removed to Perry township, one-half mile west of the present home of his grandson Eh. He completed the clearing of this tract, converted it into a good farm, and lived upon it until his death, which occurred when he was nearly eighty years of age, Jacob Diehl was an industrious man and well known for his character and ability. He was a member of the German Baptist church.
John Diehl, the father of Eli Diehl, was born in November, 1789, and was somewhat more than seventeen years of age when brought by his father to Ohio. The journey was made part of the way on horseback; but a wagon was occupied by the women of the family and the household goods, and was sent down the Ohio river to Cincinnati on a flat-boat. Thence the family traveled. to Miamisburg by wagon, going through the woods from the mouth of Bear creek to Jefferson township, where they lived for some years. John Diehl, like his father before him, had the usual pioneer education. When about twenty-three years of age, in 1811 or 1812, he married, in Jefferson township, Miss Susan Miller, who was born in Virginia in 1791. Moses Miller, her father, moved to Jefferson township from his Virginia home in 1804.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Diehl removed to Perry township and settled on land now occupied by their son John, and consisting of 160 acres. This farm Mr. Diehl cleared and brought under a high state of cultivation and productiveness, and in time erected a good dwelling house, which is still standing. This house succeeded the log cabin which he had built upon first settling on his land. He was always known as a man of high character, industrious, a good neighbor and a worthy citizen. His children were as follows: Aaron, Jacob, Samuel, Abraham, Elizabeth, John, Eli, Hannah, Noah and Adam. Noah served his country as a soldier in the late intestine war, as a member of an Ohio regiment. Mr. Diehl was a member of the German Baptist church, and was held in high estimation in the community. He lived to be eighty-five years of age, dying in 1874.
Eli Diehl was born March 16, 1829, in Perry township. The schooling he received was better than that of his immediate ancestors, the country having become more thickly settled, and the people generally having become more interested in the subject of education. He attended the common schools in the winter season until he became of age, and then taught school in the country for about ten years, mostly in Perry, Madison, Jefferson and Jackson townships. Having a vigorous mind and a retentive memory, he was more than ordinarily successful in the profession of teaching, many of his scholars becoming distinguished men and women.
Mr. Diehl married, October 10, 1861, Mary Wilson, a daughter of Frederick Wilson, who was a native of Maryland, an early settler of Montgomery county, and a blacksmith by trade. To Mr. and Mrs. Diehl there were born two children, both of whom died in infancy. Mrs. Diehl died in 1864, a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Diehl was again married on February 22, 1866, his second wife being Mrs. Mary A. Bates, a widow. She is a daughter of Johnsey and Nancy Randall. Mr. Randall was born in Baltimore county, Md., in 1792, and was of Scotch and English ancestry. He was the son of Johnsey and Rebecca (Dilworth) Randall. The Dilworth family were Philadelphia Quakers. Mr. Randall was well educated, a mechanic by trade, and was a soldier at Fort McHenry in the war of 1812. On July 15, 1815, he married in Maryland, and his children were David A., William, Elizabeth A., Anna E., John W., Joseph W., Mary A., Thomas B. and Edward S. Mr. Randall came to Ohio in 1842, settling in Dayton, where he worked at his trade, and where he passed the remainder of his days, dying January 15, 1880. An excellent citizen, he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics a republican. Two of his sons were soldiers in the late Civil war— Joseph W. and Edward S. Edward S. was a sharpshooter, and served in the several battles of the Atlanta campaign, Mr. Randall belonged to the same stock as the famous Samuel Randall, of Philadelphia, who so honorably distinguished himself as a democratic member of congress.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Diehl settled on the homestead farm. Their children are Edwin R. and Nellie E. Both parents are members of the German Reformed church, Mr. Diehl having been an elder for many years, Politically, he is a republican and as such has served as justice of the peace for three years. Mr. Diehl is one of the respected citizens of Perry township, and is an honored member of the order of Odd Fellows, m which he has passed all the chairs of his lodge, and has served as noble grand.
CHARLES W. DODDS [pages 958-959] was born in Miamisburg, Montgomery county, Ohio, December 15, 1857, a son of William and Mary (Dodro) Dodds. His great-grandfather, Gen. William Dodds, a Revolutionary soldier, settled near Alexanderville, Montgomery county, in 1806, where he engaged in farming, and at one time owned the land where West Carrollton now stands, His wife was a Miss McGrew, and both died in Miami township, and are buried in the old Presbyterian cemetery in Washington township. Their children were Joseph, Argaret (Mrs. David Lamme), William, John M., Polly (Mrs. Moses Smith), Sarah A. (Mrs. James McLain), James, Thomas and Martha (Mrs. John Smith). Of these, John M., the grandfather of Charles W., having inherited land from his father's estate, was for nearly twenty years engaged in the milling business, operating a mill on the Miami, near the Pinnacles, and another on Hole's creek. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and captain of a company of light infantry in the days of militia. In 1840 he removed to Washington township, where he died in 1860. He was twice married: first, to Mary Parsons, who bore him four children, all now deceased, viz: Auvilla, David L., Mary and Kate R. His second wife was Elizabeth, daughter of John Himes, a pioneer of Van Buren township, who bore him seven children: William, John H., Angeline (Mrs. Jerry Ewing), Thomas, James, Preston C. and Moses S. All the sons, except William and James, were soldiers in the late war.
William Dodds, the eldest son of John M. and Mary Dodds, and father of Charles W., was born in Miami township, February 7, 1823. As a boy he worked in his father's mill; later boated on the canal, and for twenty-five years was a resident of Miamisburg, where he was engaged as a contractor on house painting, and in other business. His wife, Mary was a daughter of Conrad and Mary (Lemon) Dodro, formerly of Lancaster county, Pa., and pioneers of Dayton. Conrad Dodro was a fuller and carder by trade, also taught school, was for many years a resident of Dayton, and died while on a visit to his old home in Pennsylvania, William Dodds was the father of nine children, viz: Otto F., Perry, Lizzie (Mrs. Dr. B. F. Mullen), Charles W., Ella (Mrs. Lee Silberman), Emma (Mrs. S. F. Evans), Clay, Clarence and Lehm. Mr. Dodds died in Miamisburg in 1873 and his wife, Mary, died in 1881.
Charles W, Dodds was reared to manhood in Miamisburg, where he received his education in the public schools and served an apprenticeship of two years at cigarmaking, after which he worked as a journeyman for several years in various cities and towns in the country. In 1878 he started a factory of his own in Miamisburg on a small scale, also retailing cigars and confectionery, and, as his means permitted, gradually enlarged his facilities, adding a stock of books, papers, notions, etc., until the business had grown to considerable dimensions. He continued in this occupation for fourteen years, and then turned it over to his brother Lehm, whom he had reared, and in 1892, as a member of the firm of Dodds & Mays, embarked in business as buyer and packer of leaf tobacco, in which he has since successfully continued,
Mr. Dodds was married in 1881 to Jennie, daughter of Samuel B. and Fannie (Northrup) Andrews, of West Carrollton, and has three children: Willard, Robert and Fannie. He is one of the leading business men of Miamisburg, is a member of the German Reformed church, and of the I. 0. 0. F. encampment, U. R., Patriarchs Militant, Daughters of Rebekah, and is a thirty-second degree Mason. He has been treasurer of Marion lodge, No. 18, I. 0. 0. F., Miamisburg, for ten years, and is also treasurer of the incorporation of the same body. He is a member of the Miamisburg school board and of the board of cemetery directors. In politics he is a stanch republican.
In the organization of the board of trade of Miamisburg Mr. Dodds was elected one of the members of the executive board, and was always one of its leading and active members. Through his efforts, push and energy the Enterprise Carriage Manufacturing company, one of the most thriving and valuable industries of the town, was located in Miamisburg.
LEHM DODDS, [page 959] dealer in cigars, newspapers and confectionery, was born in Miamisburg, Ohio, December 27, 1870, a son of William and Mary (Dodro) Dodds, whose history will be found in the preceding sketch of C. W. Dodds. He was reared in Miamisburg and educated in the public schools, started in life as a clerk in the store of his brother, Charles W., and served in that capacity until 1862, when he became a member of the firm of Dodds & Andrews, by purchasing the cigar, newspaper and confectionery business of C. W. Dodds, his brother. He continued the partnership up to January 1, 1896, when he purchased his partner's interest, and has since successfully continued the business alone.
He married, September 25, 1895, Mary Edith, daughter of Jacob H. and Martha E. (Snoderly) Johnson, of, Miamisburg. Mr. and Mrs. Dodds are members of the Reformed church and have been members of the choir for several years. Mr. Dodds is also a member of the 0. U. A. M., Wayne council, No. 90; I. 0. 0. F., Marion lodge, No. 18, and encampment, and Daughters of Rebekah. In politics he is a republican, but has never sought or held office. He is one of the most popular merchants in Miamisburg, and socially he and his wife enjoy the regard of a large circle of acquaintances.
PETER W. EAGLE, [pages 959-960] a highly-respected business man of Miamisburg, Ohio, and a gallant ex-soldier, was born in Miami township, Montgomery county, November 15, 1832, and is a son of Peter and Mary (Wetzel) Eagle, natives, respectively, of Staunton, Va., and Guilford Court House, N. C.
Peter Eagle, paternal grandfather of Peter W., was a native of .Pennsylvania, and settled in Miami township in 1809. locating two miles east of Miamisburg, where he cleared up and improved a farm. He married Miss Anna Hanger, the union resulting in the birth of the following-named children: Policy (Mrs. Daniel Gebhart), Ann (Mrs. John Hoover), Sarah (Mrs. John DeRush), Saloma (Mrs. Jacob Wise), Henry, Jacob, George, David, John and Peter. Of these children, Peter, the father of the subject, was reared in Miami township from the age of five years. At the age of eighteen years he married Miss Mary Wetzel, daughter of Tobias and Mary (Gift) Wetzel, and second cousin of Lewis Wetzel, the noted Indian fighter, who was with Adam Poe when the latter killed the celebrated Indian chief, Big Foot. Tobias Wetzel settled in Miami township in 1806, two miles west of Miamisburg, and resided in the township until his death. Peter Eagle reared a family of five children, named David, Anna (Mrs. Alexander Fox), Catherine (Mrs. Jonathan Reedy), Peter W. and Mary, and died, in 1884, at the residence of his son, Peter W., in his ninety-first year; his wife died, in 1885, at the age of eighty- four years.
Peter W. Eagle reached manhood on the home farm in Miami township, followed farming until 1856, and then engaged in the leaf tobacco trade, a business he still pursues. In November, 1861, he enlisted in company D, Fourth regiment, Ohio volunteer cavalry, and served until honorably discharged, on account of disability, on surgeon's certificate, in 1863. He had been captured by the enemy on the courier line between Huntsville, Ala., and Shelby, Tenn., in May, 1862, and sent to Macon, Ga. In June of the same year he managed to successfully escape, but after seventeen days of liberty, was recaptured and sent to Savannah, in the same state, where he was confined three months in jail, then sent back to Macon, and thence to Annapolis, Md., whence, after six months' confinement, he managed to get home, and was discharged at Columbus, Ohio. Since 1872 he has been a resident of Miamisburg, and engaged in the tobacco trade.
Mr. Eagle was first married to Miss Elizabeth Fox, daughter of George and Elizabeth (Link) Fox, of Warren county, Ohio, and, after her decease, married Miss Katie, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Flaherty) Stanton, of Liverpool, England. To this second union have been born ten children, of whom six are still living, viz: Peter W., Jr., Harry, Thomas, Beatrice, Stanley and Genevieve. The family are members of the Lutheran church, and in politics Mr. Eagle is a democrat. Mr. Eagle is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is greatly respected socially, while as a business man he enjoys the confidence of both the city and farming communities, with whom he has had extensive business relations for so many years.
ISAAC EARLY, [pages 960-961] a retired farmer of much prominence, was born in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, September 3, 1836, a son of John and Magdaline (Byerly) Early, and is of the fourth generation of this family in America, his great-grandfather having come from Germany and settled in Pennsylvania; while the paternal grandfather was the first of the family to settle in Ohio, and made his residence in Preble county until his death, his remains being interred at West Alexandria, The maternal grandfather of Isaac Early was Joseph Byerly, who was born in Virginia and was also of German descent.
John Early, father of Isaac, was a native of Lancaster county, Pa., but passed forty years of his life in the state of Virginia, and in 1830 came to Ohio; he lived in Preble county until 1836, when he came to Montgomery county, settled in Miami township and followed farming until his death, which occurred in 1854. His children were born in the following order: John, David, Lydia (the present wife of John F. Fox), Sarah (the deceased wife of John F, Fox), Joseph, Jacob, and Isaac.
Isaac Early was educated in 'the common schools of Miami township, and was reared to farming, which vocation he followed until 1894, when he retired to Miamisburg, his present home. With the exception of twelve years, during which period he lived in Warren county, Ohio, all his life has been spent in Montgomery county, in Miami and Washington townships, in the latter of which he lived for thirty-two years,
In 1860 Mr. Early was most happily united in matrimony with Miss Mary E. Pence, daughter of Joseph Pence, of Warren county, Ohio, and this union has been blessed with four children, viz: Charles F., Howard P., William A., and Cora P. Mrs. Early's parents, Joseph and Barbara Ann (Null) Pence, were natives of Virginia, and pioneers of Warren county, Ohio. Mr. Pence was a farmer and at one time dealt largely in pork. He was prominent in public affairs and served for many years as justice of the peace. He and his wife passed the last years of their lives near Springboro, Warren county, and their remains were interred in Springboro cemetery. They had a family of nine children, namely; Edward H., deceased; George S., a farmer of Madison county, Ill.; Sarah, deceased; John W., who was a prominent and wealthy resident of Minneapolis, Minn., where he died a few years ago; Harriet, widow of Archibald See, living at Lebanon, Ohio; Cynthia Jane, deceased; Martha D., living in Springboro; Charles N., a retired farmer of Springboro, and Mary E., the wife of Isaac Early. Mr. Early is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in his politics is a democrat. He has been a very successful farmer, has attained a place of prominence in the esteem of his fellow-citizens, and has won for himself a name that is honored throughout the country.
GEORGE M. EBLING, [pages 961-962] the well known blacksmith of Miamisburg, Montgomery county, was born in Darke county, Ohio, April 28, 1859, and is a son of Michael and Margaret (Gouk) Ebling, natives of Wurtemberg, Germany.
John Ebling, the paternal grandfather of George M., with his wife, Mary, and their four children, Henry, Christian, George and Michael, came to America in 1851, and settled in Darke county, Ohio, where John followed the vocation of gardener until his decease. Michael Ebling, son of John and father of George M., was but fourteen years of age when brought to Ohio by his father, and grew to manhood in Darke county. On attaining his majority he engaged in the lumber business in New Madison, where, with the exception of four years passed in Dayton, Ohio, he has ever since resided, and where he is still in the lumber trade. He early married Margaret Gouk, daughter of Valentine and Marie Gouk, who came from Germany, and settled in Darke county, Ohio, in 1852. For twenty-five years prior to coming to the United States, Valentine Gouk had been a member of the police force of Hesse Darmstadt, and was a man of strong nerve and marked individualism. The children born to the marriage of Michael and Margaret Ebling were five in number and were named in order of birth: George M., Christian, Michael C., Adam and Katie, all of whom still survive. George M. Ebling was reared to manhood in his native county of Darke, received an excellent common-school education, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the blacksmith trade in New Madison. For ten years after learning his trade he worked as a journeyman in various parts of the United States, but finally settled in Miamisburg, and in 1891 embarked in business as a member of the firm of Simonton & Ebling, which firm had a continuous existence of five years, when it was dissolved by the mutual consent of the partners, in September, 1896. Since that date Mr. Ebling has conducted the business on his sole account, and has now one of the best blacksmith shops in the city of Miamisburg.
The marriage of Mr. Ebling took place October 3, 1880, to Miss Laura E. Brown, daughter of Isaiah and Christina (Beachler) Brown, of New Madison. Mr. and Mrs. Ebling are members of the Reformed church and in politics Mr. Ebling is a democrat. Fraternally he is a member of the K. of P., A. 0. U. W., D. 0. H. and Jr. 0. U. A. M., and few young men have a larger circle of warm friends than George M. Ebling.
DR. THEODORE P. EBY, [pages 962-963] one of the leading dentists of Montgomery county and a man of education and culture, springs from Pennsylvania ancestors, the family having originated from one of two brothers that about 200 years ago came from either Switzerland or Prussia, settling in Pennsylvania at that time. The probability is, however, that the family comes of Swiss extraction.
Jacob Eby, the grandfather of Dr. Eby, was born at Mannheim, in Lancaster county, Pa., and was a maker of the old-fashioned English pattern clocks, clockmaking having been carried on in the family for several generations. Christian Eby, brother of Jacob, was a famous clockmaker, clocks of his make being still extant and highly valued. His clocks were of brass mechanism and so constructed that the face showed the phases of the moon. One of Jacob's clocks is now owned by Joseph E. Boyer, of Dayton, and one of Christian Eby's clocks, now belonging to architect C. I. Williams, of Dayton, is still keeping good time and bids fair to continue to do so for a century.
Jacob Eby married, in Pennsylvania, Hannah Parkinson, a lady of English ancestry. To him and his wife there were born the following children: George, Jacob, Eliza, Maria, Hannah, Peter (who died young), and Rebecca. Jacob Eby lived to be about fifty-five years old, dying in Mannheim, Pa.
George Eby, the eldest son of Jacob, was born at Mannheim, Pa., in January, 1802, and of his father learned the art of making clocks. In 1827 he married Dorothy Fritchey, near Harrisburg, Pa., and located in that city. His wife's parents were John G. and Dorothy Fritchey. After some time they removed to Mannheim, where they lived until 1846, when they removed to Cumberland county, Pa,, and there Mr. Eby engaged in the mercantile business, continuing therein until 1849. In this year he removed to Montgomery county, Ohio, locating in the town of Union and engaging in the same business in partnership with D. K. Boyer. They remained in this connection for many years, and were quite successful. Mr. and Mrs. Eby were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, he serving as church trustee. In his native town of Mannheim he was a member of the town council, and was also one of the school directors. He lived to be about fifty-six years old, dying in 1858. He was a business man of ability and integrity and a consistent Christian. In politics he was a democrat, and served as postmaster at Mannheim under President Folk's administration.
By the marriage of George , and Dorothy (Fritchey) Eby, there were the following children: Theodore P., Christian, Hannah A., Mary E., George W., Edwin J. and Thomas V. Mr. Eby had two sons in the late Civil war, viz: George W. and Thomas V., both in an Ohio infantry regiment.
Dr. Theodore P. Eby was born at Harrisburg, Pa., December 28, 1828, and was three months old when his parents removed to Mannheim. He began his business life with his father when quite young, and at the age of twenty years came with the .rest of the family to Ohio, locating in Union, Montgomery county, in 1849. The journey was made from Harrisburg to Pittsburg by way of the canal, down the Ohio river to Cincinnati by steam-boat, and thence to Montgomery county by canal, and from Dayton to Union by wagon, It was a long and tedious undertaking, because of the slow means of travel, a journey which would then take two or three weeks being now accomplished in a day. Young Eby entered the employ of Boyer & Eby, Mr. Boyer being his uncle by marriage, and he remained with this firm for five years. Then beginning the study of dentistry with Dr. Samuel Hawkins, he remained thus engaged for two years. On April 9, 1856, in Randolph township, he married Miss Elizabeth Hikes, who was born July 3, 1834, in that township, and is a daughter of John and Susan Hikes. John Hikes was born in Cumberland county. Pa., and was a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Bartlett) Hikes. Jacob Hikes emigrated at an early day as a pioneer to Montgomery county and settled in or near Dayton, and had«a distillery on his farm. He was a man well known for many miles around for his uprightness and manliness of character.
John Hikes married in Montgomery county, and was a miller and distiller by occupation. His children were as follows: William, Henry C., Alfred, Charles, Elizabeth, Mary J., Julia and Alice. Mr. Hikes was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in his early life was an old-line Whig in politics, later becoming a republican. He removed to Missouri and settled at Stewardsville, in De Kalb county, in 1858, and there died. He had three sons in the late Civil war, viz: William, Henry C. and Alfred. Mr. Hikes was a strong Union man, and suffered much in consequence in Missouri.
Dr. Eby located in Dayton as a dentist in partnership with Dr. Andrew Sheets, the firm name being Sheets & Eby. He «remained in Dayton two years, at the end of which time he returned to Union, in which place he still resides. Here he has ever since pursued his profession with success, and has a large and lucrative practice. He has been engaged in dentistry since 1857, and is the oldest practitioner in Montgomery county. He has always been an extensive reader of professional works, and thus has kept pace with the march of progress and has attained a high degree of skill. Mrs. Eby died in 1886, a woman of many virtues and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Dr. Eby is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of St. John's blue lodge, No. 9, of Dayton. Politically he is a democrat, has held the position of clerk of his township for three years, township trustee two terms, and has served as a member of the school board. He was township treasurer for nine years, and in all public trusts he has given full satisfaction to his people.
By his first wife his children are as follows: Mary A., Susan G. and George H. In 1894, Dr. Eby married, in Cincinnati, Ohio, Mrs. Frances M. Hoopes, a widow, whose maiden name was Martin.
WILLIAM S. EBY, [pages 963-964] a well-known farmer of German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and also a successful auctioneer and an ex-soldier, was born in this township June 9, 1838, his parents being John and Elizabeth (Shatter) Eby.
John Eby was born in Lancaster county, Pa., in 1798, was a son of David Eby, of German descent, and by occupation was a farmer. He came to Ohio in 1836 and settled in German township, Montgomery county, buying a farm, which he partially cleared and improved, and upon which he resided until his death, in January, 1855. His wife was a daughter of John Shatter, was also born in Lancaster county, Pa., and bore her husband eight children, of whom six are still living and are named Washington H., Artenius J., William S., Benjamin F., Rebecca (Mrs. Peter Pfaff), and Susan E. (Mrs. Jacob Slifer). The mother of this family also passed the closing years of her life in German township.
William S. Eby, whose name opens this biography, was educated in his native township and has here passed all his life, with the exception of three years, when he lived in Butler county, Ohio, where he was engaged in farming the greater part of that time. Farming, indeed, has been his life-long occupation, but, having a ready command of language and being a keen judge of the value of personal property, he twenty years ago became an auctioneer, and is now one of the most popular of those engaged in the vocation in Montgomery county. For eighteen years, also, he has been a buyer and seller of tobacco.
Mr. Eby has been twice married. His first union was with Lucinda Gunckel, daughter of Jacob C. and Nancy (Catrow) Gunckel, of German township. To this marriage were born two children—Leo and Mildred. The second marriage of Mr. Eby was with Miss Susie Brown, daughter of Jason Brown, of Butler county, Ohio, but to this union no children have been born.
The military career of Mr. Eby is as follows: August 22, 1861, he enlisted in company H, Thirty-fifth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, and served until honorably discharged, August 23, 1863. He re-entered the army, February 12, 1865, as first sergeant of company D, One Hundred and Eighty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, served until long after the war was brought to an end, and was again honorably discharged September 25, 1865. He took part in all the marches and engagements of the army of the Cumberland during the two terms of his military service. He is now a member of Carlton Bear post, No. 516, Grand Army of the Republic, of Germantown, and in politics is a silver democrat. Mr. Eby has been a prudent and successful worker in the affairs of life, and the high standing he enjoys in the esteem of the community in which he lives is due to his merits as a man, citizen and soldier.
DAVID EMERT, [pages 964-965] a prominent citizen and farmer, was born in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, September 18, 1826, and is a son of Andrew and Catherine (Schell) Emert, both natives of Pennsylvania. His paternal grandfather, Martin Emert, of German descent, was a clockmaker by trade, and lived and died in Pennsylvania. His maternal grandparents, Henry and Margaret (Lesher) Schell, both natives of Berks county, Pennsylvania, settled in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1820, and his maternal great-grandfather, Peter Schell, a native of Germany, and a farmer of Berks county, Pa., was a soldier of the war of the Revolution. Andrew Emert, father of David, was born in 1805, came to Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, in boyhood, worked at the shoemaker's trade a few years, and then returned to Pennsylvania for a legacy. He soon after removed to Miami township, and about 1826 purchased the farm now owned by Mary E. Emert, cleared and improved it and resided there until his death, in 1882. His children are David, Jonathan, Martin H., Albert and John.
David Emert was reared on the old homestead and educated in the common schools and in Farmer's college, Hamilton, Ohio. He has always followed farming as an occupation, has lived upon his present farm in Miami township since 1861, and is one of the active and progressive farmers of his township.
Mr. Emert married, in 1851, Miss Catherine R. (Fleck) Routzong, of Van Buren township, Montgomery county, Ohio; she bore him seven children, viz: Augustus V., Sarah E. (Mrs. Samson P. Strader), Andrew A., Edward E., Clara A., Ira A., and Emma. Mr. Ernert is a member of the Lutheran church and is a democrat in his political affiliations. His social connection is with the best people of Miami township, with whom he stands in the most pleasant relations, enjoying to the utmost their regard and esteem.
JACOB EBY, [pages 965-966] a well known farmer of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Harrison township, in the same county, May 3, 1849, and is a son of Adam and Susan (Mullendore) Eby. He was reared in Harrison township, received a good common-school education, and began life for himself as a farmer in Jefferson township, where he lived five years. In 1877 he purchased a farm in Miami township, comprising 188 acres of land, to which he removed in 1878, and upon which he lived until 1893, when he removed to a farm of forty acres in West Carrollton, where he has since resided. Beside this, he owns a farm of 108 acres on the Cincinnati turnpike in Miami township, and also one of sixty acres in Jefferson township, near the soldiers' home.
On December 8, 1887, he married Alice Baker, daughter of Aaron and Nancy (Simpson) Baker, of Jefferson township, and by this marriage he has four children, as follows; Dollie May, Susie, Owen A. and James. Mr. Eby is a member of Marion lodge, I. 0. 0. F., of Miamisburg, and in politics is a populist. He has always maintained an excellent reputation for honesty and integrity of character, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of all to the fullest extent.
Adam Eby, a prominent farmer of Harrison township, Montgomery county, was born in Baltimore county, Md., July 10, 1814, and is a son of Christian and Susannah (McDaniel) Eby. Christian Eby was a native of York county. Pa., and was of Swiss descent. He purchased a farm in Jackson township, Montgomery, county, Ohio, in 1832, on which he settled in 1838. Later he removed to Preble county, Ohio, and there died. His children were as follows: Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Kohler; John; Jane, wife of Amos Markey; Samuel; Susan, wife of Jesse Royer; Christian; Nancy, wife of Ephraim Engler; Adam, Wilson, James, Lavina, wife of John Vail, and Jacob.
Adam Eby came to Montgomery county with his parents in 1838, and lived with them three years in Jackson township. In 1841 he purchased the farm in Harrison township which he now owns and occupies, on which he made all the improvements and on which he has ever since resided. The home farm comprises 270 acres, and he also owns one of 155 acres adjoining, and in addition a farm in Jefferson township of 157 acres. He is, in short, one of the most enterprising and successful farmers in Montgomery county.
On October 1, 1840, he married Susan Mullendore, daughter of David Mullendore, of Preble county, Ohio, and who bore him thirteen children, as follows: Jane, wife of Scott Robinson; Elizabeth, wife of William Wogoman; Ephraim; Jacob; Susan, wife of Joseph Ulrich; Wilson, Adam, Clement L. V., Andrew, Christian, and three that have died. Mr. Eby has served as justice of the peace of Harrison township for eighteen years, and as township trustee for several years. Politically he was for many years a democrat, but of late years he has been an advocate of populism. He is a man of high character, always sustaining what he believes to be correct principles in morals, politics and religion.
CAPT. AUGUSTUS J. EMINGER [page 966] was born near Mechanicsburg, Cumberland county, Pa., July 23, 1836, is a son of David and Magdalena (Miller) Eminger, and comes of German ancestry. His paternal grandfather, Andrew Eminger, was a son of Isaac Eminger, the progenitor of the family in America, a native of Berlin, Germany, who was among the pioneers of what is now Cumberland county, Pa., settling there about 1740. All the ancestors of Capt. Eminger in America were farmers, including his father, who died in Pennsylvania, in 1854. Andrew Eminger, the grandfather, was a first lieutenant in the Revolutionary war, and was also a soldier in the war of 1812.
Augustus J. Eminger spent the first seventeen years of his life on the home farm. He was educated in the common schools and in the Cumberland Valley institute, Mechanicsburg, Pa. In April, 1855, he came to Miamisburg, Ohio, and in the winter of 1855-6 attended the Bacon Commercial college, Cincinnati, Ohio, during which time and up to 1858, he was connected with what is now the R. G. Dun Commercial agency. In the fall of 1858 he located in Miamisburg, where he was employed as clerk in a dry-goods store until 1862.
On July 30, 1862, he enlisted in company E, Ninety-third Ohio volunteer infantry, went to the front as first lieutenant, and participated in the campaign of the armies of the Ohio and Cumberland, in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama. He was promoted to the captaincy of the company January 24, 1864, and was mustered out of the service at Nashville, Tenn., January 8, 1865. He at once returned to Miamisburg, where he entered the employ of D. H. Hoover & Co., later Hoover & Gamble, and on the incorporation of the Hoover & Gamble Co., in 1892, was made secretary of the company, a position which he still occupies.
Capt. Eminger was married, March 4, 1858, to Miss Maria S., daughter of Silas and Maria (South) Hall, of Miamisburg, and has five children: Mary (Mrs. J. F. Vogel), William F., Charles F., Robert L., and Clara H. (Mrs. Fred. C. Cotterman). Capt. Eminger is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of the Ohio commandery, military order of the Loyal Legion, Al Mason post, G. A. R., and of the subordinate lodge, encampment and patrirachs militant, I. 0. 0, F. He has held the office of mayor of Miamisburg for two successive terms, has served as member of the city council, and was a member and clerk of the board of education from 1868 to 1890. Politically, he is a stanch republican. To all public movements for the advancement of Miamisburg, Capt. Eminger has always been foremost in giving his time and work. His spirit of progressiveness has assisted much in the upbuilding of the town, and his high character has brought to him the universal esteem of the community in which he resides.
CHARLES FRANCIS EMINGER, [pages 966-967] an active business man of Miamisburg, was born in this city July 16, 1865. He is a son of Augustus J. and Maria (Hall) Eminger, and was reared in his native city, where he received his education, graduating from the high school in 1883, and where he has always resided. After reaching his eleventh year he was engaged several summers as a clerk in a grocery store, passing his school vacations in this way, and in 1884 he embarked in the grocery business at Miamisburg as a member of the firm of Forbes & Eminger, in which business and connection he continued two years. Since 1886 he has been in the flour business in connection with Uriah Engleman, and has been practically manager of the entire sale and disposition of the products of the Engleman mill.
Mr. Eminger was married April 8, 1886, to Edna M. Engleman, daughter of Uriah and Sally (Marshall) Engleman, of Miamisburg. He has one daughter, Ethel L. Mr. Eminger is a thirty-second degree Mason, a Knight Templar, a member of the Mystic Shrine, an Odd Fellow, a Knight of Pythias, a member of the camp of Sons of Veterans and of the military order of the Loyal Legion. In 1895 Mr. Eminger was one of five candidates for county auditor, but was defeated through his not being a resident of Dayton. He has always taken an active interest in politics, and is at the present time a leader in the younger element of republicanism in the southern part of Montgomery county. Though still a young man, Mr. Eminger has made an impression in the business and in the political and social world that bids fair to be both lasting and creditable.
WILLIAM EWRY, [pages 967-968] carriage and wagon manufacturer and black-smith, of Beavertown, was born in Van Buren township, Montgomery county, Ohio, July 31, 1839. He is a son of Bazil and Magdalene (Swigart) Ewry, both of whom were natives of Van Buren township. They were the parents of two children, William and David. Bazil Ewry was a farmer by occupation, and one of the best in the entire county. Both he and his wife, the latter of whom died in 1842, were members of the German Reformed church, in which he served most of his lifetime as an elder and a deacon. He was a popular and prominent man in the community, and led an honorable and useful life. For his second wife he married Elizabeth Swigart, by whom he had seven sons and one daughter, as follows: John, Benjamin, Albert, Oliver, Henry, Wilson and Mary, all still living, and one child, named Charles, who died in infancy.
Bazil Ewry's father, John Ewry, was a native of Maryland and came to Ohio at a very early day, settling in Van Buren township, and buying land one mile east of the present site of Beavertown. Toward the erection of the first church he was one of the earliest to move, donating toward it for a site two acres of land, upon which is also located the cemetery. He reared a large family and lived to be very old. The maternal grandfather of William Ewry was Michael Swigart, a native of Maryland, who came to Ohio with eighty dollars in money and began the life of a farmer, in which he prospered greatly. Like many other pioneers, Mr. Swigart himself made the chairs and bedsteads with which he began housekeeping. His' home was in Greene county, where he lived to the great age of ninety years.
William Ewry was reared on the farm and received his rudimentary education in the common schools. He began driving a team when eleven years old. At the age of eighteen he began to learn the wagonmaker's trade, and has followed this occupation ever since, having made wagons and carriages almost innumerable for his neighbors and other residents of Montgomery county. His business has grown and prospered, until at the present time he employs six men. He manufactures fine carriages, phaetons, and all kinds of wagons, and sends out from his shops some very handsome work. In all these years Mr. Ewry has built up character and reputation as well as business, and is well known throughout the surrounding country as a thoroughly honorable, reliable workman.
On November 17, 1868, Mr. Ewry married Miss Amelia Harper, by whom he had one daughter, Maud. Mrs. Ewry died September 6, 1880. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, but after her marriage and removal to Beavertown, there being no Methodist church there, she identified herself with the United Brethren church. In March, 1884, Mr.. Ewry married Miss Katie Fitzpatrick, daughter of William and Martha Fitzpatrick, and to this second marriage there have been born three children: Mattie, Charles and Mary. Mr. Ewry had two brothers, David and John, in the late Civil war, who served from the first call of President Lincoln for three months' men until the close, and were in twenty-eight battles. Mr. Ewry is a member of Montgomery lodge, No. 5, I. 0. 0. F., and in politics is a republican. He has a beautiful home adjoining his place of business in Beavertown, and has been a resident of Van Buren township for fifty-seven years. Mr. Ewry's high standing as a citizen and his success in business are the best evidence of what may be accomplished in life through energy, industry and sound judgment.
MATHEW FABING, [page 968] harness and trunk dealer of Miamisburg, was born near Trenton, Butler county, Ohio, July 10, 1859, a son of Michael and Anna M. (Fabing) Fabing, both natives of Alsace-Lorraine. His maternal grandparents were Nicholas and Elizabeth (Bath) Fabing, who, with Michael Fabing, father of Mathew, came to America in 1857 and settled in Butler county, Ohio, where the latter engaged in farming, in which he continued until his death, December 24, 1879.
Prior to coming to this country Michael Fabing was a soldier in the French army, was honorably discharged in 1856, and was also a soldier in the Union army during the late Civil war, as a member of company F, Fourth Ohio cavalry. He enlisted October 3, 1864, and was honorably discharged July 15, 1865. His children were two—Mathew and John M.— the latter a telegraph operator now residing at Valparaiso, Ind.
Mathew Fabing was reared in his native county, where he received a common-school education, and served an apprenticeship of three and one-half years at harness-making in Middletown, Ohio. September 30, 1878, he came to Miamisburg and worked at his trade for fourteen months as a journeyman, and December 20, 1879, embarked in business for himself, which he has since successfully continued, his uninterrupted prosperity being a strong illustration of the truth, that honesty, industry and economy form the basis of success in this life.
Mr. Fabing was married October 26, 1883, to Amanda, daughter of Isaac and Catherine (Gebhart) Dissinger, of Miamisburg; this union has been blessed with four children—May, Clara, Annie, and an infant son. Mr. Fabing is a member of the Lutheran church and is a R. A. M.; he is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. encampment, also of the K. of P., the Harugari, and the Sons of Veterans, and politically is a republican. He has been remarkably successful as a business man, and enjoys that respect in his community which personal worth and business ability invariably bring.
LEVI FALKNER, [pages 968-969] farmer of Randolph township, and a son of one of the pioneers of Montgomery county, sprang from good Pennsylvania Dutch stock. Levi Falkner, Sr., his father, was born in Bedford county, Pa., was reared a farmer, and learned the carpenter's trade. While living in Bedford county, he married Margaret Nicodemus, daughter of Frederick Nicodemus, and almost immediately afterward they started for Ohio, each on horseback, having no baggage or other property except what they could carry in saddle bags. This was about 1813, and when they passed through Dayton, there were but a few log houses within the present limits of the place. Mr. and Mrs. Falkner went to the home of John Becker, where Henry Becker, son of John Becker, now lives. After about a year Mr. Falkner purchased of Henry Brumbaugh about forty acres of land in Randolph township, which was then in the thick woods. The first work performed by Mr. Falkner on his new farm, new in more senses than one, was to erect a rude log cabin, and to fit it with a puncheon floor, using a quilt for a door. His next work was to build a barn on Wolf creek for Henry Bouser, leaving his wife alone in the cabin in the woods during the day. Mr. Falkner cleared up his farm and soon afterward bought forty acres adjoining, making a farm of eighty acres, still later adding another eighty acre tract. He continued to prosper, until his death, which occurred when he was fifty-three years of age. Mr. Falkner's life was an example of the industry and solid virtues required in a successful pioneer farmer. In politics he was an old-line democrat.
Levi Falkner, his son, was born September 22, 1822, in a log cabin in Randolph township, and received but a meager education. Early in life he began to work on the home farm, and has always followed farming for a living. When twenty-two years of age he married, November 8, .1844, Miss Nancy Herr, who was born in 1822,and is a daughter of Samuel and Frances (Long) Herr. Samuel Herr was an old settler of Randolph township, and became a substantial farmer, owning some 300 acres of land. His children were as follows: Mary, Abraham, Nancy, Frances, Samuel, Christian, Hettie, Lizzie, Sarah and John. He was a member of the River Brethren church and a good citizen. He died on his farm at the age of seventy-three.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Falkner settled on the Falkner homestead in Randolph township, and after two years removed to the Herr homestead, where he lived one year, buying eighty acres of land in Clay township, and after some time added thereto eighty acres, lived there twenty-nine years and then purchased his present farm. He and his wife reared the following children: Carris; Angeline, who died when six years old; David C., Frances, Lorin, Mary A., Theodore and Jerome. Mrs. Falkner died in November, 1879, a woman of many virtues and a member of the Brethren church. Politically, Mr. Falkner is a democrat, but is in no sense an office seeker. He is content to cultivate and manage his farm, to thrive by his own industry, and to be an independent man.
THEODORE S. FOX, [page 969-970] superintendent of schools of Germantown, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Brookville, Clay township, in the same county, June 12, 1862, and is a son of Levi and Barbara (Studebaker) Fox, both natives of Johnstown, Pa., and of German descent.
John Fox, his paternal grandfather, and also a native of Johnstown, Pa., early came to Ohio and settled on a farm in Clay township, Montgomery county, where he reared a family of nine children and passed there the remainder of his life. John Studebaker, the maternal grandfather, was also a pioneer farmer of Clay township.
Levi Fox, father of Theodore S., was a brickmaker by trade, and for many years engaged in business in Brookville, where he still has his residence, but is now retired. He has brought up a family of nine children, who were named, in order of birth, Martha (Mrs. Lee Heck), Sarah J. (Mrs. A. F. Roller), Herman S., Silas B. (deceased), Theodore S., Libbie (Mrs. Perry Spitler), Albert, Charles, and Joseph (deceased).
Theodore S. Fox, reached manhood in Brookville, Ohio, and received his preliminary education in the common schools. This education was supplemented by an attendance at the Ohio Wesleyan university, and later by an attendance at the National Normal university at Ada, Ohio. From the latter he was graduated in 1885, and at once entered upon the profession of teaching, and for two or three years filled positions in rural districts. From 1888 until 1890 he was superintendent of the Brookville public schools; from 1891 to 1893, inclusive, was superintendent of the Washington township schools, and since 1894 has been the efficient superintendent of the schools of Germantown.
The marriage of Prof. Fox was celebrated April 8, 1887, with Miss Althea F. Arnold, daughter of John and Minnie (Bolt) Arnold, of Brookville, Ohio, and three children have been born to this marriage and named, in order of birth, Arnold, Helen, and Mildred. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Prof. Fox is a democrat. In his fraternal relations he is an Odd Fellow of high degree, being a member of the encampment in that order, and he is also a Knight of Pythias. Both socially and professionally he holds a high position in the community which has entrusted to him the important work of directing the education of the children.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page