HON. CHARLES A. SIMONTON, [pages 1054-1055] ex-mayor of Miamisburg, Montgomery county, Ohio, and a successful business man of this thriving place, was born in Lebanon, Warren county, Ohio February 5, 1857. He is a son of Theophilus and Mary (Willis) Simonton, both of whom are still living. Theophilus Simonton is the son of Adam Simonton, who was born in what is now Warren county, Ohio, in 1789. Adam Simonton's father was a native of Ireland, an early emigrant from that country to America, and was a soldier of the Revolutionary army, thus aiding in the establishment of the American republic. Adam Simonton was by occupation a farmer, was captain of a company in the war of 1812, and late in life removed from Warren county, Ohio, to Lincoln, Logan county, Ill., and there died. Theophilus Simonton was born in Warren county, Ohio, is a carriage-maker by trade, and settled in Miamisburg in 1864. From that time until 1876 he was in the employ of the Kauffman company, and in the year last mentioned he established himself in business and has since continued to follow his trade. His wife was a daughter of George and Anna (German) Willis, of Warren county, and he has two sons, George and Charles A.
Charles A. Simonton came to Montgomery county with his parents in 1864, and here he has since resided. He was educated in the Miamisburg public schools, graduating from the high school May 22, 1874. In 1894 he was honored by the high school alumni by being elected president of the alumni association. On leaving school he served an apprenticeship of three years at general blacksmithing with the Kauffman company, and after the expiration of that period worked as a journey-man until 1891, when he embarked in business for himself as a member of the firm of Simonton & Ebling, which firm owns and operates a general blacksmithing and repair shop, and is meeting with ample success.
Mr. Simonton was married, February 17, 1881, to Ada M. Smith, daughter of John and Anna Smith, of Lincoln, Ill., people of excellent character and standing in the community in which they live. He is a member of the United Brethren church, and both he and his wife are untiring in their devotion to religious and educational work. Fraternally he is a member of .Marion lodge, of the encampment and of canton Groby (patriarchs militant), I. 0. 0. F.; of the Knights of Pythias, and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Of Marion lodge he is past noble grand. In politics he is a democrat.
April 1, 1894, Mr. Simonton was elected mayor of Miamisburg, and in his official capacity proved himself to be a man of force and ability, as well as of tact and discretion. Being one of the most active and public spirited of the young business men of Miamisburg, he is always on the alert for the promotion of the public good, and his official administration has been a credit to his patriotism and judgment, and satisfactory to the people at large.
REV. JOHN SMITH, [pages 1055-1056] a minister of the German Baptist church, Madison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, is a native of the county and was born on his father's farm, November 30, 1827.
Jacob Smith, his grandfather, was born in Maryland, near Hagerstown, of Pennsylvania-Dutch descent, and there married Mary Clopper, who came from Germany when ten years of age, the result of the union being several children, of whom the names of the following are remembered: John, Jacob, Henry, Abraham, David, Mary, and one who became Mrs. Zook. Jacob Smith was a farmer, and in his latter years moved to Pennsylvania, the home of his forefathers, and passed the remainder of his life in Bedford county.
Abraham Smith, son of Jacob and father of the Rev. John Smith, was born in Bedford county, Pa., in 1784. His father having died, his mother married Philip Knee, and in 1809 the family came to Ohio, Abraham being then fifteen years of age. Mr. Knee first located at Germantown, Montgomery county, remained a year or so, then passed one year on Wolf creek, west of Dayton, and in 1810 came to Madison township and purchased a tract of 160 acres on the Salem road in the northeast corner of the township, and all in the deep woods. This land Abraham Smith assisted in clearing, and indeed did very nearly the entire work unaided. At the age of twenty-eight years he married Miss Catherine Bowman, daughter of John and Mary Bowman; he then bought the homestead from Philip Knee, and here lived all his active life. To the marriage of Abraham Smith were born two children— John, the subject of this biography, and one child that died unnamed. Mrs. Smith died in 1830, a pious member of the German Baptist church, her only child, John, being then but three years of age. Abraham attained the age of eighty-seven years and six months, was also a devout member of the German Baptist church, and died in 1871 at the residence of his son, Rev. John Smith, leaving behind him many old friends to mourn his departure.
Rev. John Smith was reared to farming, receiving at the same time a very good common-school education. October 14, 1847, at the age of twenty, he married, in Madison county, Miss Susan Wolf, a native of Montgomery county, born August 25, 1828, and a daughter of Jacob B. and Catherine (Miller) Wolf. The young couple lived for several years on the old Smith homestead. In 1869 they moved to an eighty-acre tract which Mr. Smith had purchased, and which he cleared up and increased to 158 acres. Here Mrs. Smith died August 29, 1890—a woman of many womanly virtues and a devout member of the German Baptist church. Following are the names of the children born to Rev. John Smith and his lamented wife: Sarah J., born August 3, 1848—died February 8, 1861; Catherine, born October 6, 1851; an infant, born November 16, 1853, but died unnamed; Andrew W., born October 24, 1854; Lucinda, July 2, 1856; Harriet E., March 2, 1859; Oliver J., September 23, 1861; Emma, September 14, 1863, and Mary E., January 24, 1865. Mr. Smith continued to reside on his farm until 1892, when he bought a pleasant residence in Trotwood, where he has since been living retired from the active labor of life. He became a member of the German Baptist church in 1851 and was elected a deacon in 1857; in 1860 he was licensed preacher, and has since been active in expounding the gospel to his people, and in all respects exerting a large influence for good. Providence has blessed his labors in this respect, and, so aided, also, he has by his industry and thrift increased his worldly store. He at one time owned 568 acres of land, which he has distributed among his children, reserving for himself a tract of thirty acres from the home farm, in addition to his pleasant town residence.
ANDREW SNELLER, [page 1056} of the well-known firm of Theobald & Sneller, the leading barbers of Miamisburg, Ohio, was born in Cincinnati April 29, 1862, and is a son of Louis and Philopena (Bollinger) Sneller, the former of whom was a tailor by trade and died July 5, 1863, from the effect of a wound received at Vicksburg, Miss., while battling in defense of his country's flag during the late Civil war.
Andrew Sneller was educated in the public schools of Cincinnati, and on May 1, 1876, apprenticed himself to the barber's trade, at which he served two and a half years, and then worked at the business as a journeyman for eight years. In 1882 he located in Miamisburg, and in 1884 formed a partnership with Adam Theobald, under the firm name of Theobald & Sneller, for the purpose of conducting a first-class tonsorial establishment, and, both partners being competent workmen, the concern enjoys an excellent business.
Andrew Sneller was united in the bonds of matrimony October 25, 1891, with Miss Jennie E. Schuster, daughter of Charles 0, and Mary E. (Loesch) Schuster, of Miamisburg, and to this union has been born one daughter Margaret May. Mrs. Sneller is a consistent member of the Reformed church, while Mr. Sneller affiliates with the Lutherans. Mr. Sneller is a royal arch Freemason and in politics is a republican. His social relations are of a most pleasant character, as he and wife are highly esteemed by a large circle of sincere friends.
DAVID JULIUS SNEPP, [pages 1056-1057] farmer, contractor, and president of the Farmers' Mutual Fire association, of Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Miami township, May 20, 1842, a son of John and Catherine (Neible) Snepp. His paternal grandparents, Leonard and Catherine (Isley) Snepp, were natives of Pennsylvania and were among the pioneers of Miami township, as was also his maternal grandfather, John Neible, who was by birth a Virginian.
John Snepp, father of David J., was born in Miami township in 1812; was a blacksmith by trade, .and in 1845 removed to Shelby county, Ind., where he died in 1881. His children were: Elizabeth (Mrs. Hugh A. Hoskins), William, Maria (Mrs. Jacob Runchey), Joseph, David J., and Mary J. (Mrs. Mannington Fickle).
David J. Snepp was reared in Indiana from three years of age, and was educated in the common schools and .in Purdy's Business college, at Indianapolis. Farming has been his principal occupation, though for three years he was engaged as a buyer and shipper of grain at Boggstown and Fairland. In 1883 he removed to Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, where he has since been engaged in farming and contracting. In November, 1866, he married Miss Margaret A., daughter of Joseph H. and Nancy L. (Hamma) Dryden, of Miami township, and has four children—John D., Harry D., Nancy G., and Catherine C. Mr. Snepp has been president of the Montgomery County Mutual Fire association since 1890, and served one term as justice of the peace of Miami township, having been elected as a democrat; he was also president of the centennial celebration for the south half of Montgomery county, at Alexandersville, August 26, 1896. He and his family command the respect of the entire community in which they live, and deservedly enjoy the esteem of their neighbors. Still in the prime of life, Mr. Snepp is engaged in the vigorous prosecution of the various lines of business which have occupied his attention for some years past.
JOHN T. SNEPP, [pages 1057-1058] a retired farmer living at Miamisburg, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Jefferson township, this county, December 2, 1841. He is a son of John and Catherine (Rodeheffer) Snepp. His grandfather was also named John, was a native of Pennsylvania, married a Miss Gebhart, located in Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1804, and took up a tract of land on what is now the Farmersville & Carrollton pike, which he partially cleared and improved. This he finally sold and purchased another farm in the same township, most of which he cleared, and upon which he died. He and his wife were the parents of four children, as follows: Leonard; Eva, wife of John Getter; John, and Sarah, wife of Jacob Getter.
Of these four children John was born in Jefferson township in 1808, engaged in farming, and resided in the township all his life, dying in October, 1890, at the age of eighty-two. His wife, Catherine, was a daughter of Samuel Rodeheffer, of Jefferson township, Montgomery county. She bore him four children: Barbara, wife of John Getter; Mary M., wife of William W. Getter; John T. and Samuel.
John T. Snepp was reared in his native township, was educated in the public schools and at Wittenberg college, and remained at home until 1869. He then purchased a farm, which he still owns, and on which he resided until 1889, when he removed to Miamisburg. On January 8, 1868, he was married to Martha Snider, daughter of Adam and Mary (Hammaker) Snider of Miamisburg. She bore him four sons, viz: Samuel E., a graduate of Heidelberg university, and at present a student in the McCormick Theological seminary at Chicago, preparing for the ministry in the Reformed church; Hugh Allen, also a graduate of Heidelberg university, and now at Clark's university, Worcester, Mass., taking a post-graduate course preparatory to teaching school; Arthur E. and Lorin H., both students at Heidelberg university.
Mr. Snepp and his family are members of the German Reformed church. In politics he is a democrat, and as such has served as clerk of Jefferson township. Though a strong partisan he is not in any sense a seeker after public honors, remaining content to perform his duty as a private citizen.
WILLIAM S. ZELLER, [page 1058] one of the oldest and most respected natives of Germantown, Ohio, was born October 17, 1829, and is a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Kumler) Zeller. His great-grandfather, Andrew Zeller, came from Berks county. Pa., with his wife and five children, settled in German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1806, and cleared a farm near Germantown, on which he passed the remaining years of his life. His children were named John, Michael, Andrew, Mary (Mrs. Dr. Jacob Antrim), and Christine (Mrs. Henry Kumler).
John Zeller, son of Andrew and grandfather of William S. Zeller, cleared the farm in German township now owned by Ezra Kemp. On this farm Mr. Zeller made his home until his retirement to Germantown, where his life ended in 1860. His wife, Christiana, was a daughter of Martin Shuey, a pioneer of German township, and to their marriage were born Andrew, Henry, Sarah (Mrs. James Gilbert), George, John, Christiana (Mrs. Rev. John L. Hoffman), David, Mary (Mrs. Jacob Zehring), and Eliza (Mrs. Rev. Peter B. Baker).
Andrew Zeller, the eldest of the above family and father of William S., was born in Berks county, Pa., January 29, 1804, was brought to German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, by his parents and grandparents in 1806, as has already been mentioned, and here was reared to manhood. In 1830 he removed to Butler county, Ohio, where he was injured in a runaway accident in July, 1845, and died from the effect of the injury thus sustained in the following October. He was an able, intelligent and industrious man, whose untimely death was a loss to the entire community. His wife was a daughter of Bishop Henry Kumler, and their children were Joseph K., William S., John H., David A., and Mary E., the wife of Dr. Samuel McClellan.
William S. Zeller, whose name opens this sketch, was reared chiefly in Butler county, Ohio, throughout his boyhood and younger manhood and there received his elementary education, which was supplemented by an attendance at the Miami university of Oxford, Ohio. In April, 1849, he returned to Germantown, where he conducted a drug store until January, 1878, since which date he has practically been living in retirement, although he has given some attention to the farm.
The marriage of William S. Zeller was solemnized February 4, 1857, with Miss Lovina Schaeffer, daughter of George W. and Elizabeth (Catrow) Schaeffer, and granddaughter of Jacob and Susannah Schaeffer, who came from Center county, Pa., in 1806, and settled in German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Zeller have been born six children, two of whom are living, William E. and Maud, the latter now the wife of Dr. Loren Wilkie.
Mr. Zeller, during the late Civil war, was a member of company E, Twelfth Ohio volunteer infantry, in which he served two and one-half years, and, after an honorable discharge from that service, re-enlisted and served one hundred days in company E, of the One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio infantry, from which, at the end of his service, he was also honorably discharged. In his religious faith, Mr. Zeller is firmly united to the Brethren in Christ, and in politics is a republican. Fraternally, he is a Freemason, also a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, as well as of the Grand Army of the Republic.
NOAH E. SPITLER, [pages 1061-1062] a descendant of one of the oldest pioneer families of Montgomery county, and a regular minister of the old German Baptist church, was born in Clay township, Montgomery county, Ohio, June 22, 1848. For a fuller account of the Spitler family than here presented the reader is referred to the biography of Dr. E. W. Spitler, printed elsewhere in this volume.
Samuel Spitler, the grandfather of Noah E., was born in Lancaster county, Pa., and married Catherine Mishler, by whom he had the following children: Joseph, John, Jacob, Samuel, Henry, Daniel, David and Mary. Samuel Spitler moved to Ohio about 1815, settling in Stark county, and living there about ten years. In 1825 he came to Montgomery county, settling on 765 acres of land, most of which he cleared up from the woods. In 1853 he removed to Miami county, Ohio, passing the remainder of his life with his son-in-law, Joseph Gnodle. For many years he was a deacon in the German Baptist church, a man of influence in his neighborhood, and reached the age of seventy-two years, having been well-known for many miles around as a sturdy, hardworking, thrifty pioneer farmer.
Jacob M. Spitler, his son, and father of Noah E., was born in Stark county, Ohio, January 8, 1820. He received a common-school education, became a farmer, and in due course of time married Ellen Earhart, who was born in 1831. She was a daughter of Jacob Earhart. Mr. and Mrs. Spitler settled on land in Clay township, purchasing eighty acres, which he greatly improved and made into a good farm and home. When he settled on it this tract was partly cleared, and by the untiring labor of his own hands he cleared away the surplus timber, added fertilizing material to the soil wherever necessary, and brought his farm to a profitable state of cultivation. He and his wife reared the following children: Levi, Harriet, Noah, and Mary Allen, Mrs. Spitler died in 1856, Mr. Spitler remaining on the home farm four years a widower. In 1861, he married Mrs. Mary Sharp, a widow, whose maiden name was Stutsman. Mr. Spitler then bought land in Miami county, Ohio, where he lived until 1869, when he removed to Douglas county, Kans., there settling on 120 acres of land, upon which he is still living. His well-earned reputation for integrity and honorable dealing has followed him from Ohio to the west, where he is prosperous and successful.
Noah E. Spitler received an excellent education in the district school, and afterward attended the high school at Piqua. For some years he was successfully engaged in teaching school in Montgomery county, and also in Miami county. On August 9, 1870, he married Miss Anna Binkley, in Montgomery county, she having been born in Lancaster county, Pa., June 25, 1847. She is a daughter of Jacob M. and Mattie K. (Weller) Binkley. For a fuller mention of Mrs. Spitler, the reader is referred to the history of the Binkley family, elsewhere published in this volume.
Mr. Spitler removed, in 1877, to Miami county, remaining there until 1893, where, with the exception of a few years, he was engaged in teaching school. He has been one of the most successful of teachers, having taught thirteen years in three districts, twenty-seven months constantly in one district. In 1876 he taught a graded school in district No. 12, Miami county. His ability as a teacher is fully recognized and his labors in this capacity have always been highly appreciated by the people of Montgomery and Miami counties. Many people of prominence, both men and women, have been pupils of Mr. Spitler, and have their names on his roll of honor.
In 1893 Mr. Spitler removed to his present farm of thirty-eight acres. He and his wife are the parents of the following children: Harriet E. and Jacob F. Mr. Spitler became a member of the German Baptist church in 1875, and in 1882 began preaching the gospel to his people, and has since continued to preach. He has always led a life of great usefulness, his object being to live for the benefit of others. In the fields of education and religion his work has been that of one who loved his fellow-men.
JOHN J. STETTLER, [page 1062] a prominent farmer, was born in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, January 7, 1835, a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Wicklet) Stettler. His great-grandfather, George V. Stettler, with his wife and five sons —William, Henry, Daniel, George and Jacob— natives of Berks county. Pa., settled in Miami township about 1802, locating one mile south-west of Miamisburg, where the father died April 23, 1815. His son, Daniel, grandfather of John J., was born in Berks county, Pa., in June, 1773; was married in 1810 to Catherine Genres, also a native of the Keystone state, but who came to Butler county, Ohio, with her family about 1802. She was born in 1783 and had four children by her union with Mr. Stettler—Daniel, Hannah (Mrs. Jacob Shy), Philip and George. Daniel, the father, was in the war of 1812, and died in Miami township in June, 1853, his wife surviving him until November 27, 1863. Both Daniel and his father, George V., were large landholders, and it was at the cabin of the Stettlers that one of the early churches was organized in 1806, which organization is yet in existence. Daniel Stettler, father of John J. and the eldest son of Daniel and Catherine (Gehres) Stettler, was a farmer by occupation and spent all his life in Miami township. His children were five in number, viz: John J., Catherine (Mrs. Jacob Tobias), Mary (Mrs. Wesley Fornshell), Jacob and Daniel.
John J. Stettler was reared in Miami township, where most of his life has been spent in farming, in which he has been very successful. In 1861 he married Loretta, daughter of Daniel Hohn, of Miami township, and has two children—Flora A. (Mrs. Isaac Eck) and Irvin P. Mr. Stettler is a member of the Lutheran church, in politics is a democrat, and is an estimable citizen. The Stettler family, it will be perceived from the foregoing, is one of the oldest in Montgomery county, and for nearly a century has guarded and promoted its material and moral progress.
JOHN HENRY STAMM, [pages 1062-1063] an ex-soldier of the late Civil war, and a prominent citizen of Miamisburg, Ohio, was born in Berks county, Pa., in the town of Stouchsburg, September 20, 1839, and is a son of Moses and Lydia (Heckerman) Stamm, both of whom were natives of Berks county, Pa. The father of Moses Stamm was named John, a native of Holland, and was among the pioneer settlers of Stouchsburg, Pa. The maternal grandfather of John H. Stamm, Henry Heckerman, was a native of Pennsylvania.
John H. Stamm was reared in his native county in Pennsylvania, was educated in the public schools and afterward learned the painter's trade. In 1858, removing to Miamisburg with his parents, he worked there with his father at the plasterer's trade, but since 1864 he has followed his own trade, that of painter, with gratifying success.
On February 28, 1862, Mr. Stamm was married to Eliza E. Myers, daughter of Isaac and Lydia (Wirick) Myers, of Miamisburg. To this marriage there have been born sixteen children, twelve of whom are still living, as follows: Edward; Wilhelmina, wife of John Fox; Clarence, Harley, Herbert, Frank, Edith, Milton, Hermydell, John, Homer and Wilbur. During the late Civil war Mr. Stamm was a private soldier in company D, One Hundred and Eighty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, serving one year and being honorably discharged at the expiration of his term of service. In politics he is a democrat. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and is a member of the German Reformed church, as is also his wife, who is a woman of many virtues, a devout and exemplary Christian lady. Mr. Stamm was a gallant soldier and did faithful duty during the term he served in defense of the flag of his native land. His course in civil life has been that of a useful and upright citizen.
SAMUEL STIVER, SR., [pages 1063-1064] a widely-known farmer of German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born here February 21, 1817, a son of John and Margaret (Wolf) Stiver, who were natives, respectively, of Lancaster and Dauphin counties, Pa.
The Stiver family are direct descendants from the Rev. John Casper Stiver (the name in his day being spelled Stoever), a pioneer Lutheran minister, who came to America from Germany in 1728, and labored chiefly among his countrymen of Lebanon and Lancaster counties, Pa., dying in that state in 1779, in his seventy-second year.
John Casper Stiver, grandson of the reverend pioneer, was the patriarch of the family in Twin Valley, Ohio, and it was he who modernized the spelling of the family name. He was born in Lebanon county, Pa., and came to German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1806, being accompanied by his family, comprising his wife and three sons, Frederick, Casper and John. The last named of these sons, John Stiver, the father of Samuel, purchased a farm on Little Twin creek (which farm is now the property of Samuel Stiver, Sr.), and became one of the leading citizens of this neighborhood. He was thrifty and prosperous as a farmer, and a man of very decided traits of character. He was very active in church affairs, and with his father and brothers assisted largely in the organization of the Lutheran church in Germantown in 1809. His influence was such that he generally carried his point when any question was to be decided, socially, politically or religiously. He reared a family of ten children, who were born in the following order- Barbara, John, Frederick, Michael, Catherine (Mrs. Frederick Dill), Elizabeth (Mrs. Jacob Weis), Susannah (wife of Christian Herr), Barbara (twin sister of Susannah and wife of Andrew Cotterman), Samuel and Elias—the two last named being the only survivors.
Samuel Stiver, Sr., whose name opens this biography, has always resided in German township. He was educated in all the subscription and district schools had to offer in the way of instruction, and has always been recognized as one of the most progressive and successful farmers of the township and county. March 4, 1841, he was united in marriage with Miss Catherine Emerick, daughter of George and Mary (Good) Emerick, residents of German township, but natives, respectively, of Maryland and Virginia. To the union of Samuel Stiver, Sr., and Catherine Emerick have been born six children, viz: Benjamin M., William C., Samuel, Jr., Mary E. (Mrs. Edward Oldwine), John A. and Sarah C. (Mrs. David Sholley).
Samuel Stiver, Jr., was born on the Stiver homestead in German township, September 5, 1846, received a fair education in the common schools, remained on the homestead until 1870, and then settled on his present farm of 100 acres, of which he completed the purchase in 1880. January 6, 1870, he married Miss Leah Harp, daughter of Abraham and Mary (Beters) Harp, of Jackson township, Montgomery county, and this union has been blessed with three children, viz: Lydia, wife of William 0. Haller; Adam and Amanda J. Adam, married, February 11, 1897, Pearl A. Moyer, daughter of William S. Moyer, of German township. The family are members of the Lutheran church, and in politics Mr. Stiver is a democrat.
He possesses all the sterling qualities of his forefathers and stands among the foremost of the citizens of German township, both as a man and as a representative farmer.
HENRY PETER TREON, [page 1064] an old and well-known farmer of Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Germantown, in the same county, October 29, 1819, and is a son of Dr. Peter Treon, a native of Berks county. Pa., who settled in Miamisburg, Montgomery county, in 1811, and became one of the eminent physicians and surgeons of the western part of Ohio.
Christian Treon, grandfather of Henry P., was a native of France, and sailed from the port of Cowes, England, on the ship Duke of' Wurtemberg, arriving in Philadelphia, Pa., October 20, 1752. He had been a distinguished surgeon in the French army, his ancestors having also been physicians, and he became the progenitor of the Treon family in America.
In February, 1818, Dr. Peter Treon and Dr. John Treon, his nephew, together with Emil Gebhart and Jacob Kercher, platted the first town lots in Miamisburg. Dr. Peter Treon was also associated for some years with the same nephew in various other business enterprises, and later conducted business on his sole account, dealing in horses, mules, etc., and also in real-estate, accumulating a competency, and at his death leaving our subject 160 acres of land in Shelby county, Ind.
Henry P. Treon was reared in Germantown until seventeen years of age, when he came to Miamisburg and entered the employ of his father, with whom he remained until the latter's death. Since 1843 he has been engaged in farming and has lived on his present farm in Miami township ever since that date. Mr. Treon has been twice married; his first wife, whom he married March 22, 1842, was Sarah, daughter of Jacob Eagle, of Miami township, and of the two children born to this union one still survives—Rachel, now the wife of William Leis. Mrs. Treon died February 4, 1879, and the second marriage of Mr. Treon took place September 16, 1880, with Mary Haynes, of Washington township, who died December 25, 1894. Mr. Treon is a devoted member of the Lutheran church and superintended the erection of the Saint John's Lutheran church edifice in Miami township, and also superintended the building of the brick school-house in his district; in his politics he is a democrat, and has ever been a truly useful and energetic citizen in the work of promoting the public welfare.
WILLIAM STIVER, [pages 1064-1065] a retired farmer of Montgomery county, Ohio, is a native of German township, and was born January 27, 1844, a son of Samuel and Catherine (Emerick) Stiver. The genealogy of Mr. Stiver will be found in full in the biographies of Samuel Stiver, Sr., and Samuel Stiver, Jr., immediately preceding this memoir, and, therefore, a repetition of the same is not here necessary.
William Stiver was reared to farming on the old Stiver homestead in German township, and there worked in that honorable vocation until thirty-five years of age. In the spring of 1880 he rented what was known as the Kercher farm, on which he resided for three years; he then purchased the farm of sixty-two acres, now owned by John Miller, but which Mr. Stiver occupied until 1892. In 1893 he retired to Miamisburg, where he is passing his days in quietude, having, through his skill and industry as a husbandman, been enabled to retire from active labor.
The marriage of Mr. Stiver took place September 20, 1874, to Sarah Nicholas, daughter of William and Catherine (Bovinger) Nicholas, of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, and to this union have been born ten children, in the following order : Francis M., Charles A., Perry J., John H., Joseph A., Dora A., Clara B., Ina G., Edward A. and William C. Mr. and Mrs. Stiver are members of the Lutheran church, and in politics Mr. Stiver has been a life-long democrat.
Having been a tiller of the soil for so many years, Mr. Stiver has naturally done much toward the improvement of German township and the enhancement in value of its farming land, and he is a worthy example of that best class of agriculturists whose thrift and good citizenship are large factors in the prosperity of the nation.
ISAAC TREON, [pages 1065-1066] a successful business man of Miamisburg, and one who stands high in the estimation of the general public, was born in Miamisburg, Montgomery county, Ohio, June 29, 1861. He is a son of Dr. Isaac and Mary (Allen) Treon, of whom mention will be made later in this sketch. The great-grandfather of the present Isaac Treon, who was named Christian Treon, was a Frenchman, and sailed from Cowes, England, in the ship Duke of Wurtemberg, arriving in Philadelphia, Pa., November 20, 1752. Christian Treon was a distinguished surgeon in the French army, his ancestors having also been physicians; Michael Treon, his son, and grandfather of the subject, was born in Berks county, Pa., August 19, 1761. He, too, was a physician of prominence and spent all his life in the county of his birth, where he died May 28, 1828, and lies buried in the cemetery at Rohrersburg. He married Elizabeth Selzer, who was of German parentage, Their son, Isaac Treon, was born in Berks county, Pa., September 7, 1808. In 1822 he removed to Miamisburg, Ohio, and was educated at Oxford, Ohio, after attending medical lectures at Cincinnati, in 1833-34, and beginning the practice of medicine at Miamisburg in 1835. Here he was engaged in active practice for many years, and was also engaged in the drug business, dealing likewise extensively in real estate.
Dr. Isaac Treon was married three times— first to Rebecca Hoover. His second wife was Mary Allen, daughter of Isaiah and Rebecca (Rouse) Allen, of Miami township. She bore him five children, three of whom grew to mature years, viz: Michael, Lillie, wife of George C. Weaver, and Isaac. His third wife was a Mrs. Leah Melinger, Dr. Isaac Treon died June 15, 1878, leaving a highly enviable record for medical skill and upright manliness.
Isaac Treon, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Miamisburg, and was educated in the public schools, graduating from the high school in 1879. He began life on his own account as clerk in a drugstore, and in 1885 embarked in the drug business at Lima, Ohio, continuing thus engaged in that city for three years. Shortly afterward, on account of ill health, he traveled extensively through the west, including California, returning in 1891 to Miamisburg, and here embarked in the stove and tinware business as a member of the firm of Treon & Cade, and in this business he has since continued, with unvarying success.
Mr. Treon was married February 7, 1895, to Virginia Cade, daughter of William and Elizabeth Cade, of Miamisburg, and to this marriage there has been born one daughter, named Mary Caroline Treon. Mr. Treon is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the Knights of Pythias, and of the Odd Fellows. Politically, he is a republican, and is regarded in the community as an eminently patriotic and good citizen. Both Mr. and Mrs. Treon are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Both are untiring in their devotion to church and religious work and are highly esteemed and useful members of society.
CAPT. PORTERFIELD H. TROXEL, [pages 1066-1067] of Perry township, Montgomery county, is of German ancestry, his grandfather, Peter Troxel, having come from Germany many years ago. Capt. Troxel was born September 30, 1831, in Augusta county, Va., and is a son of Robert and Nancy (Cunningham) Troxel. He was educated in the common schools of Ohio, his parents having removed to Montgomery county, this state, in 1834, and settled on Tom's Run. Here young Porterfield was brought up on the farm, but received little education in school before he attained his majority, though he read and studied to good advantage in private during his leisure hours. After becoming of age he attended school for some time, and, when twenty-four years old, began teaching in the district schools, continuing this work about six years, or until the breaking out of the war. On October 28, 1861, he enlisted at Dayton, Ohio, in company E, Seventy-first Ohio volunteer infantry, under Capt. Callender, for three years, or during the war. In this company he served until January 13, 1864, when he veteranized, and continued a member of the same company until transferred to company C. He was discharged at San Antonio, Tex., November 30, 1865.
Mr. Troxel was promoted for meritorious services to fifth sergeant, in 1862, then to third sergeant, and later to first sergeant. Still later he was promoted to second lieutenant and then to first lieutenant, and for a time served as adjutant of the regiment. Later he was commissioned captain and assigned to company C, of the same regiment, and served as such until discharged. He participated in the battle of Shiloh, in the battle of Franklin (where he served as adjutant of his regiment), and also in the battle of Nashville. In addition to these he was in many smaller engagements and in numerous skirmishes. His hardest marching and campaigning was from Atlanta to Nashville, and in Texas, from Matagorda Bay to Green Lake. The latter march was made in August, the weather being very hot, and there being but little water to be had. The regiment marched thirty-five miles in one day, many of the soldiers falling out by the wayside. Capt. Troxel was at one time captured by the rebels, with six companies of his regiment, who were in due time paroled at Clarksville, Term. Capt. Troxel was always an active soldier, prompt and cheerful in the performance of his duty.
After the close of the war the captain returned to Montgomery county and engaged in the manufacturing business, as a member of the firm of Munhdenk, Hiller & Troxel. He afterward engaged in farming in Perry township, and in 1882 bought a fine farm of 104 acres. He was married in March, 1866, at Pyrmont, to Sarah A. Taylor, daughter of Henry and Sarah (Hamilton) Taylor, who were the parents of the following children: James F., Martha J., Sarah A., Emeline and Almira. Mr. Taylor for some years held the office of township trustee.
Capt. and Mrs. Troxel are the parents of the following children: Stanley, Stella, James, who died at the age of nineteen; Jennie and Maud, Politically, Capt. Troxel is a republican, and takes pride in having voted for Gen. Winfield Scott, Gen. John C. Fremont and Abraham Lincoln. He is honored by all who know him as a man of integrity and of independence of character, and as a soldier who served his country well in her hour of need.
Peter Troxel, the founder of the family in America, settled in Augusta county, Va., was a farmer by occupation, and reared the following children: George, Abraham, Daniel, David, Polly, Robert, Susan and Rachael. He was an extensive farmer, owning some 400 acres of land, and lived to be ninety-six years old. His wife lived to be ninety-four.
Robert and Nancy Troxel, the parents of our subject, reared the following children: Robert, Porterfield H., Peter, John, Daniel, Rachael, Margaret and Mary. They removed to Montgomery county in 1832, settling in Perry township. Mr. Troxel was a member of the United Brethren church, and was a man of high character, and died when he was fifty-six years of age. He had two sons in the Civil war, Robert and Porterfield H., the former of whom was in the Seventeenth Ohio battery, and was with Gen. Grant in the Vicksburg campaign.
Archibald Patrick, the maternal great-grandfather of Capt. Troxel, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and was wounded at the battle of Guilford Court House.
HEZEKIAH B. ULM, [pages 1067-1068] infirmary director and retired farmer, now a resident of the city of Miamisburg, was born near Monroe, Butler county, Ohio, January 29, 1843. He is the eldest of six children now living, of the family of eleven children born to Edward and Elizabeth (Davis) Ulm, the former of German and English descent, while the latter was of Welsh and Scotch-Irish descent.
His paternal grandfather, Daniel Ulm, was a Virginian by birth, whose ancestors were natives of Germany and pioneers of Virginia, and among the very early settlers of Ohio, first locating in Pike county, and later in Monroe and Butler counties. Daniel Ulm cleared two farms in Ohio, one in Warren county and the other in Butler county, and died in Mason,, Warren county, Ohio, in 1858. His children were named, Polly (Mrs. Abel Reynolds), James, Sarah (Mrs. William Fitzgerald), Jane (Mrs. Abraham Bercaw) Hattan and Edward, the latter being the father of our subject. Edward Ulm was born in Warren county, Ohio, in 1820, and was reared a farmer's boy, receiving a limited education in the pioneer schools. He chose and followed for his life vocation that of an agriculturist, and was a resident of Miami township from 1857 until 1891, when he removed to Franklin, Ohio, where he died April 22, 1893. His children were eleven in number, six of whom grew to maturity, viz: Hezekiah B., Martha J. (Mrs. Thomas Childs), Edward A., George A., and Eva and Hattie, twins—the former the wife of Harvey Kendall, and the latter the wife of William Evans.
Hezekiah B. Ulm grew to manhood on the farm and lived during his earlier years in Butler, Warren and Montgomery counties, he being but fourteen years of age when his parents settled in Miami township, Montgomery county. He was taught industrious habits from childhood and has led a very active life from youth up to the present time. He attended the common schools and later supplemented these advantages by attending the Monroe academy. Having finished his education, he began life as a farmer, which occupation he followed from 1881 to 1896 in Washington township, this county, and was known throughout the southeast part of Montgomery county as one of the successful and well-to-do farmers.
On July 31, 1862, he enlisted in company E, Ninety-third Ohio infantry, and immediately after being mustered in, entered active service. The first engagement he participated in was that of Stone River (or Murfeesboro), Tenn., during which he received a gunshot wound, which disabled him for further service to his country, and on September 24, 1863, he received an honorable discharge at Camp Dennison, Ohio, on account of disability. He returned home, and on the 15th of March, 1866, was united in marriage with Ella W., daughter of George and Ellen (Wheatley) Pease, of Miami township, this county. By this marriage he has three children living: Olive, Walter K. and Herbert B.
Mr. Ulm removed, in the fall of 1896, to the city of Miamisburg, where he is most pleasantly situated. He and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church, while fraternally he is a member of the G. A. R., and of the K. of P. since 1874. Politically he is a republican and was nominated in the fall of 1895 as candidate for infirmary director, to which office he was elected by a large majority, which attests the popularity that he so deservedly enjoys.
THEODORE M. WAGNER, [pages 1066-1067} a thriving merchant of Trotwood, Montgomery county, Ohio, and an ex-soldier of the Civil war, was born in Carroll county, Ill,, November 13, 1844, and is a son of Christian and Susan (Gaither) Wagner, who came to Montgomery county, Ohio, in August, 1864, living first in Wayne township, and finally settling in West Baltimore.
Theodore M. Wagner received a very fair common-school education in his native state, and early learned the trade of shoemaking. He came to Ohio with his parents, and in the winter of 1864-5 enlisted, at Dayton, in company C, Eighth Ohio volunteer cavalry, to serve one year. Shortly after joining his regiment he was detailed to the post quartermaster's department at Clarksburg, W. Va., where he served until honorably discharged in July, 1865, at the close of the war. On his return to Ohio Mr. Wagner worked for a short time at his trade in Taylorsville, Montgomery county, going thence to West Baltimore, where he followed his calling until 1877, when he settled in Trotwood. Here he embarked in merchandizing, which still occupies his attention.
The marriage of Mr. Wagner to Miss Katurah Eck took place at West Baltimore, September 28, 1868. Mrs. Wagner was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1845, a daughter of William and Susan (Hockey) Eck. There have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wagner three children—Clara R., Jennie M. and Charles 0. Mrs. Wagner is a member of the Christian church, while Mr. Wagner has adopted the faith of the United Brethren. Fraternally Mr. Wagner is a member of Trotwood lodge, No. 754, I. 0. 0. F., in which he has reached the office of noble grand, and has been treasurer of his lodge and district deputy grand master. He is likewise a member of Court lodge, No. 287, Brookville, K. of P., and of Foster Marshall post, G. A. R., of the same place. In politics he is a republican, but has never sought or held public office. He is a substantial citizen, and owns several stores and residences in Trotwood, a small farm south of town, and houses and land at Stillwater Junction, as well as land in Dayton.
Christian Wagner, his grandfather, was a native of Lancaster county, Pa., whence he moved, in an early day, to Frederick county, Md., where he died at the age of eighty-nine years. Christian Wagner, father of Theodore M., had born to his marriage five children— William H., John E., Theodore M., Adeline R. and Alice, all of whom came to Ohio excepting John E., who settled in Iowa. Their father was a republican in politics, and lived to be ninety years old—the Wagner family, indeed, being noted for longevity. William Eck, the father of Mrs. Wagner, was born in Maryland, was a farmer of Preble county, Ohio, and the father of five children—Katurah, Rosina, Minerva, Ovien and Aaron. Mr. Eck in politics was a democrat, and a substantial and highly respected citizen. He died in 1894 and his wife in 1893.
THE WAYMIRE FAMILY [page 1069] is one of the oldest and most highly respected in Montgomery county, Ohio, having been a resident here since 1805. John Rudolph Waymire, the founder of the family in America, was a native of Germany, and died in North Carolina at the age of eighty-five years.
Daniel Waymire, son of John Rudolph, was born in North Carolina, married Sophia Plumer, and after the birth of his first child came to Ohio (1805) and settled where the Polk church now stands in Butler township, Montgomery county, where his homestead embraced 160 acres of land, beside which he owned eighty acres in the Slashes, three miles south. At his house were held the first meetings of the members of the Christian church in his township, and he also contributed liberally toward the erection of the first house of worship, in 1816, belonging to that religious denomination, as well as to the building of the first schoolhouse. To Daniel and Sophia Waymire were born the following-named children : Davis, Mary, Daniel, John, Catherine, Elizabeth, Sarah, Rebecca, Rosannah, Henry and Isabel.
John Waymire, the fourth enumerated of the above family, was born in Butler township, August 30, 1808, was educated in a frontier log school-house, and was taught the cooper's trade. At the age of twenty-two years he married Miss Margaret Coble, a native of Butler township, and daughter of Anthony and Mary (Coble) Coble, who settled in Butler township in 1806, and were the parents of Abraham, John, Sarah, Daniel, Margaret and Solomon. Mr. Coble was a substantial farmer, owning 160 acres of land, and died at the age of seventy-two years, a member of the Christian church. After his marriage, John Waymire settled on a farm of sixty-four acres, all in the woods, and known as Natchez Under the Hill. The tract abounded in game, and its soil was very rich, and the Stillwater river, on the banks of which it was situated, swarmed with choice fish, and the two afforded abundance of food at no cost. Nevertheless, Mr. Waymire worked industriously and increased his acreage to 235, which he fully improved. To his marriage with Miss Coble were born four children, viz: Isaac, Sarah, Daniel W. and Hamilton. Mrs. Waymire was called away, and Mr. Waymire married Elizabeth Woodhouse, daughter of Henry Woodhouse, and to this union was born one son, John. Mr. Waymire died an honored man, and left behind a family that is still highly respected by the residents of Butler township.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page