ANDREW H. BAKER, [pages 1110-1112] one of the early merchants of Phillipsburg, and now among the most respected citizens of Clay township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born on his father's farm, in Randolph township, same county, March 25, 1821.
Grandfather Baeker, as the name was originally spelled, came from Pennsylvania about the year 1800 and entered a section of land in Randolph township, settling near the saw-mill now owned by Henry Baker. The tract at that time was a dense forest, but Mr. Baeker cleared up a fine farm from the woods. His wife bore the maiden name of Echelman, and bore her husband five children, who were named John, Samuel, David, Henry and Andrew. The father of these children, however, did not live many years after reaching Ohio, and at his death divided his property equally among his children.
David Baker, father of Andrew H. Baker, was a youth when brought to Ohio by his parents, and here attained his majority on the home farm. He married Salomi Hart, who was born in Pennsylvania, in 1797, and whose parents came to Ohio at the same time with the Bakers—the Hart children being named William, Elizabeth, Rebecca and Salomi, of whom Elizabeth and Rebecca were respectively married, in Ohio, to a Mr. Kessler and a Mr. Hazen. After his marriage David Baker settled on his own farm of 112 acres, near the old homestead in Randolph township, close to the county line. He died, however, at a comparatively early age, the father of three children—Lavina, Andrew H. and David. Mrs. Baker afterward married John Turner, to which union was born one child, Rebecca, who married James Ross.
Andrew H. Baker was educated in the pioneer schools of his early day, and at the age of sixteen years began learning the cabinetmaker's trade in Salem, served three years, and then worked one year in Dayton, with R. J. Wagoner. But he did not long continue at his trade, as in 1842, at the age of twenty-one years, he engaged in mercantile business in Phillipsburg, which he found to be more to his taste and profit, and which he pursued for the long period of nearly fifty years, selling out in 1890, when he retired with a competency. In his career as a merchant, Mr. Baker formed several co-partnerships, viz: First, with John Fry, who was the earliest responsible merchant of Phillipsburg, the partnership lasting six years; next, with David Swank, four years; then, with his own brother, David Baker, for several years. At one time the firm was composed of four members—Andrew H. and David Baker, Peter Smith and David Swank. These partners carried on a store in Phillipsburg and one at West Alexandria, in Preble county, and did a large country trade until the dissolution of the firm. Andrew H. continued alone for some years in Phillipsburg, then admitted his son, Charles W., into partnership, but for the last few years of his mercantile life he was again alone. Although practically retired, Mr. Baker still owns a saw-mill, over which he keeps a supervision.
Andrew H. Baker was united in marriage March 29, 1842, in Phillipsburg, with Miss Hannah Thomas, who was born in that village January 3, 1825, a daughter of Dr. William and Mary (Cox) Thomas. Dr. William Thomas was a son of John Thomas, who came from South Carolina in the early part of the present century and settled in Clay township, where he entered a farm, on which he died at an advanced age, the father of four children— Isaiah, George, William and Nancy. Dr. William Thomas, father of Mrs. Baker, was a. physician of note in Phillipsburg, but removed to and died in Indiana, the father of seven children—Hugh M., Micajah, Priscilla, Asenath, Nancy, Hannah and Sarah. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Baker has been blessed with the following children: Charles W., Granville (died September 5, 1896), Dr. Edson R., David, William and Ella.
In politics Andrew H. Baker was originally a democrat, but, was a strong prohibitionist, and became one of the organizers of the republican party in his township. His was the only house in Phillipsburg, in the early days, that would give shelter to an abolitionist, but he adhered tenaciously to the cause until it at last became triumphant. He never sought public office, but as a matter of duty served nine years as justice of the peace. He was a strong Union man during the Civil war, and furnished two sons to the army—Charles and Granville—both of whom were in the three-years' service, were in the Atlanta campaign and followed Sherman to the sea. Mrs. Baker is a member of the Christian church, and Mr. Baker, a man of broad intelligence, is liberal in his religious views. He occupies a high position in the esteem of his fellow-citizens, and his influence is felt throughout the county in ever;7 movement designed to promote the public good.
SAMUEL G. CLAGETT, [pages 1112-1113] a successful farmer and fruit grower of Harrison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in this township, within a quarter of a mile of his present home, December 26, 1852. His parents, Samuel M. and Elizabeth (Drill) Clagett, were natives of Maryland, he of Frederick county, and she of Washington county. They were the parents of eleven children, nine of whom are still living, as follows: Annie J., wife of S. W. Lakin, living in Columbus, Ohio; Harriet, widow of George McCausland; Mary, wife of S, A. Bailey; John W.; Elizabeth, wife of Henry Smith, of Dayton; Martha, wife of George K. Funderberg, of Carlisle, Ohio; Samuel G.; Maggie, wife of Charles B. Attick, and James W.
Samuel M. Clagett was by occupation a farmer, came to Ohio about 1836, lived in Dayton one year, and then removed to Wayne township. After living in Wayne township a few years, he settled in Harrison township, where he continued a resident the rest of his life, a period of nearly forty years, his death occurring in 1876. He was at the time sixty-seven years of age. His wife died in 1891, aged seventy-four. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and of his church he was trustee and steward for many years. Politically he was a democrat up to the breaking out of the war, and then became a republican, acting with this party the remainder of his life.
The paternal grandfather of Samuel G. Clagett was a native of England, was a miller and distiller by occupation, reared a family of six children, and died in Maryland when seventy years of age. The maternal grandfather, George Drill, was of German ancestry, but a native of Maryland, was a soldier in the war of 1812, came to Ohio at an early day and settled in, Harrison township, where he died at the age of forty-eight.
Samuel G. Clagett has lived his entire life in Harrison township. He was reared a farmer's boy, was well educated in the district schools, and has kept himself thoroughly informed upon the important events and questions of the day. Remaining at home with his parents until he attained his manhood, he was married October 16, 1877, to Miss Alvina Darst, daughter of Abraham and Sarah Ann (Dean) Darst. To their marriage there have been born four sons, as follows: Warren D., Wilson G., Arthur E. and Edward F. The first two were twins.
Mr. and Mrs. Clagett are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Clagett is now and has for the past thirteen years been a class leader in his church. He was also superintendent of the Sunday-school for seventeen years. In 1895 he was elected treasurer of his township, being the first republican to hold that office since the war. Beginning life for himself by working for his father, he has since made a well-deserved success as a farmer, and as a useful and influential citizen. He now owns ninety-one acres of land, well improved. Mr. Clagett is a charter member of Linden lodge 412, K. of P., and has also been member of the I. 0. 0. F. for over twenty years. He is a descendant and a worthy representative of two of the oldest and best families in Montgomery county, and well sustains their reputation, established by long years of straightforward and honorable dealing with their fellow-men.
JONATHAN BRUESTLE, [pages 1113-1114] one of the old settlers of Clay township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Berks county, Pa., July 1, 1829, and is of German extraction.
Christian Bruestle, his grandfather, was a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, a tailor by trade, and married Sabina Wert, by whom he became the father of the following children: Christian, Henry Charles, Caroline and another, whose name has been forgotten by the present generation. The father of this family died in his native country, a member of the Lutheran church, at the age of fifty-seven years, and his second son, Henry Charles, became the progenitor of the Bruestle family in America. Christian, the eldest brother, was a German Baptist minister, was born in Germany in 1772, made three visits to America, returned as many times to his native land, and died January I, 1841, at the home of his father.
Henry Charles Bruestle, father of Jonathan, was born in Germany November 22, 1780, received a liberal collegiate education, and became master of seven languages. April 25, 1819, he departed for America, and after a voyage of four months landed in Philadelphia, August 25, 1819. Later he went to Tulpehocken township, Berks county, Pa., where he married, August 31, 1823, Elizabeth Oldwine. In April, 1853, became to Ohio and bought a small plat of ten acres at Air Hill, Perry township, Montgomery county, and on this little garden spot he died April 25, 1857, a member of the Lutheran church, of which he had been an elder for sixteen years before he came to Ohio. His wife, daughter of Warner and Catherine (Long) Oldwine, was born in Lebanon county, Pa., January 22, 1795, and bore her husband two children—Henry and Jonathan.
Warner Oldwine, the father of Mrs. Bruestle, was born in Germany and was twenty-five years of age when he came to America. Here he enlisted in the patriot army and bore a valiant part in the Revolutionary war at the battle of Bunker Hill, Brandywine, and elsewhere, fought through the whole of the glorious struggle, and lived also to take part in the war of 1812. He made his home in Lebanon county, Pa., where he owned 200 acres of farming land, and where he reared a family of four children, viz: Anty, Jacob, Samuel and Elizabeth. His death took place at the age of seventy-five years, and his patriotic services were gratefully remembered by his fellow-citizens, who interred his remains with the honors of war.
Jonathan Bruestle was reared on the home farm, received a good education in his youthful days, and was also taught the cabinetmaker's and carpenter's trades. At the age of about twenty-five years, in 1853, he came to Ohio and for two years lived in Miamisburg, and then removed to Salem. In the interval, April 27, 1854, he married Ann Mary Buechler, the ceremony being performed in Madison township by Rev. John Reichert, of the German Reformed church. Miss Buechler was born March 15, 1826, in Pine Grove township, Schuylkill county, Pa., and is a daughter of John and Barbara (Stein) Buechler.
John Buechler, father of Mrs. Bruestle, came from Pennsylvania to Ohio in 1836, settled on a farm of 144 acres in Madison township; Montgomery county, and died in 1880, at the age of eighty-three years. To him and his wife were born a family that became useful members of the community of Madison township, both those who were born in Pennsylvania and those born in the Buckeye state. They were named, in order of birth, William, George, John, Henry, Daniel, Ann Mary (Mrs. Bluestle) and Katie.
Jonathan Bruestle, after his marriage, located in Salem, Montgomery county, and for seventeen years was the leading cabinetmaker and undertaker of the town and the surrounding country, but in the meantime, October 4, 1864, bought a tract of sixty-six acres, which he devoted to general farming and tobacco growing, making a specialty of the latter product. He erected a good barn, a fine tobacco shed and other necessary buildings, was industrious and thrifty, and added to his land until it covered eighty acres, which he still owns, and on which he is passing in peace his declining years. In religion Mr. Bruestle, with his wife, is a member of the Lutheran church, in which he has held the offices of elder and trustee, in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and in the latter state, for over five years, he was the sexton for his congregation. His only child, John Davis Buechtel Bruestle, was born June 10, 1859, in Salem, and is now a representative citizen of Clay township.
DAVID CRIPE, farmer, [pages 1114-1115] of Madison township, is a son of one of the early pioneers of Montgomery county. John Cripe, Sr., his grandfather, came to Ohio, probably in 1806, from Blair county, Pa., settling in Madison township, two miles south of where David now lives. His wife was Catherine Ullery, and his children were as follows: Stephen, David, John, Susan, Esther and Elizabeth. Mr. Cripe cleared a farm of 160 acres, lived in Montgomery county all his life, and died at an advanced age. He was a minister of the German Baptist church.
John Cripe, Jr., son of John Cripe and father of David, was born in Blair county, Pa., about 1804, and was two years old when brought by his father to Montgomery county, Ohio. Young Cripe was brought up among the pioneers and became a farmer. Upon arriving at maturity he married Catherine Shively, by whom he had the following. children: Eli; John, who died when two years old; David, Esther, Catherine, Mary, Hannah and Stephen. Mr. and Mrs. Cripe settled on the farm upon which their son David now lives, and which then consisted of 160 acres of land, all in the woods, with the exception of five acres, which were partly cleared. This land Mr. Cripe cleared of its timber, made of it a good farm, and greatly improved it with excellent buildings. In 1853 he removed to Indiana, locating near Peru, and there bought 160 acres of land, upon which he passed the remainder of his days, dying when seventy-two years of age. He was one of the best men of his time, and a member of the German Baptist church, in which he was a deacon for many years. Always a diligent and industrious man, he was successful in his business affairs, and was well known for his honesty and integrity of character.
David Cripe was born February 19, 1831, on the farm on which he now lives. His education was received in the common district school. Reared a farmer, he has followed that honorable and independent occupation all his life. He married, October 16; 1851, Miss Mary Ullery, who was born on the Stillwater river, in Randolph township, and is a daughter of Samuel and Susan (Whitehead) Ullery. Samuel Ullery was born in Blair county, Pa., near Hollidaysburg, in 1794, and when seventeen years old came to Montgomery county with his parents, Stephen and Mary (Rench) Ullery.
Stephen Ullery came to Montgomery county in 1811, and settled in Madison township, near Stillwater Junction, where he entered government land, to the extent of 160 acres, which he cleared and upon which he lived for many years. His children were Joseph, Stephen, Samuel, Mary and Catherine. Stephen lived to be an aged man, was a German Baptist and a valued citizen.
Samuel Ullery, the father of Mrs. Cripe, settled on the farm adjoining the Cripe homestead. His first wife was Mary Miller, a daughter of Daniel Miller, the pioneer. By this wife he had one daughter, Susannah. Mrs. Ullery having died, Mr. Ullery married Susannah Whitehead, by whom he had ten children, as follows: Lydia, Moses, Annie, Aaron, Stephen, Mary, David, Samuel, Christopher, and Valentine. Samuel Ullery devoted himself to farming, and became a very prosperous man. By industry he thrived until at length he owned 600 acres of land, which he divided among his children, giving each a farm. He was a member of the German Baptist church, and died in his seventy-first year. His wife died October 19, 1882, in her seventy-eighth year.
Mr. and Mrs. Cripe, after their marriage, settled on the Cripe homestead, which has since been their home. Mrs. Cripe's mother made her home with them, living with them for about eighteen years, and it was at their home that she died at an advanced age. She had been most of her life a member of the German Baptist church, and all her life an excellent woman.
Mr. and Mrs. Cripe had one child, named Annie, who died March 13, 1885. She married Jacob Miller, a grandson of Daniel Miller, the pioneer, and son of Joseph Miller. To Jacob Miller and his wife there were born two children, Joseph Albert and Mary Catherine. Mr. and Mrs. Cripe are members of the German Baptist church, of which Mr. Cripe has been a deacon for thirty-four years.
His granddaughter, Mary Catherine Miller, married Albert M. Mumma, and has one son. The entire family are well to do, have a large circle of friends, and are among the most useful of Montgomery county's citizens.
WILLIAM A. CROSBY, [pages 1115-1116] a successful farmer of Mad River township, Montgomery county, was born near Springboro, Warren county, Ohio, October 15, 1842. He is a son of James and Lydia Ann (Baner) Crosby, the former of whom was a native of Delaware county, Pa., and the latter of Cape May county, N. J. To their marriage there were born three children, viz; William A.; Martha A., wife of John Kinder, of Franklin, Ohio; and Alice, wife of Edwin S. Smith, living at Lawrenceville, Ill.
James Crosby learned shoemaking when a boy, and followed this trade for several years. Coming to Ohio in 1830, he located near Springboro, Warren county, where he afterward bought land. In Warren county he was married, and removed to Montgomery county in 1858, locating on the grounds now occupied by the soldiers' home, and there lived for nine years. Selling his property there, he removed to Mad River township, where his son William A. now lives, and where he bought seventy acres, now finely improved. On that farm he lived the rest of his life, dying September 12, 1884, when he was seventy-two years of age. His wife, who died June 13, 1886, was a Quaker in religious belief.
Robert Crosby, father of James Crosby, was a native of county Down, the most easterly county in Ireland, and was of Scotch-Irish descent. When a young man he came to the United States and settled in Delaware county, Pa., being accompanied by two of his brothers, and in 1830 he came to Ohio, dying on the farm where he settled in Warren county. He was of a quiet and amiable disposition, reared a family of one son and five daughters, and at his death was seventy-five years of age.
The maternal grandfather of the subject, Isaac Baner, was a native of New Jersey, and moved to Ohio between 1830 and 1835, floating down the Ohio river on a flatboat, and locating near Springboro, Warren county. He followed shoemaking all his life, and in religious belief was a strong Quaker.
William A. Crosby was about sixteen years of age when his father left Warren county, and remained at home as long as his father lived. He has managed and cultivated the Mad River township farm ever since its purchase by his father, and after his parents' death became the owner of a two-thirds interest in it.
On February 21, 1865, he was married to Miss Nancy J, Heiney, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Heiney. To this marriage there were born eleven children, as follows: Ida May, Frank Albert, James E., Emma Alice (deceased), Joseph H., Lizzie A., William A., Orin J., Grace L., Howard, and Mattie B. Ida May married Charles Alexander, of Wayne township; Frank A. married lona Clemmer, and lives in Wayne township; they have one child, Ruth. James E. married Loretta Johnson; they live in Clark county and have three children, Florence, Chester and Rachael. Lizzie A. married Alva Wolf; they live in West Dayton. Mrs. Nancy J. Crosby died January 10, 1891. Early in her life she was a member of the German Reformed church, but later united with the United Brethren church, and died in that faith, Mr. Crosby being also a member of this church. Politically, Mr. Crosby is a democrat, and is at the present time (1896) serving a three-years' term as justice of the peace. For fifteen years he was a member of the board of directors of his school district, and at present is a member of the school board. Upon his farm, which contains 125 acres, he carries on general agricultural operations, and for the past three years has also been conducting a cream dairy and raising red-polled cattle. For thirty-seven years Mr. Crosby has lived in Montgomery county, and has contributed his full share to its fine development. His home is beautifully situated on a knoll three miles from Dayton, and here is dispensed the most sincere and generous hospitality.
HENRY L. ECKHARDT, [pages 1116-1117] of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, a practical and experienced farmer, was born in Germany, April 15, 1854, but has been a resident of Montgomery county since his infancy, his parents, George and Catherine (Felty) Eckhardt, having come to America in the fall of 1854. These newcomers first located in German township, Montgomery county, where the father successfully engaged in the pursuit of agriculture until 1874, when he found it to be to his interest to remove to Jefferson township, and here he has been engaged in farming ever since that year. He and his wife were the parents of seven children, who were born in the following order: Christian H., Henry L., Jacob; Mary, the wife of George Smith; Emma, married to Charles Root; Louisa, now Mrs. Frank Recher, and Minnie, the wife of Elmer Palmer. The first two named were born in Germany, and the others in Montgomery county, Ohio.
Henry L. Eckhardt was educated in the common schools of his district. At the age of twenty years, in 1874, he came to Jefferson township with his father's family, and here he has since been engaged in farming. Here also, in 1860, he married Miss Mary M. Getter, daughter of Daniel and Sarah J. (Shade) Getter, residents of Jefferson township, and this marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Eckhardt has been blessed by the birth of one son, named Earl C.
In politics Mr. Eckhardt has always been closely identified with the republican party, and is at present the assistant postmaster of Ellerton, Montgomery county, Ohio. In religion, he is, with his wife, a consistent member of the Lutheran church, of which he is also a trustee. He .has led a life of industry, and has ever been a useful and public-spirited citizen.
JOSEPH L. ENSLEY, [pages 1117-1118] a prominent farmer of Harrison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Butler township, this county, near Stillwater, May 18, 1821. His parents were James and Susan (Lodge) Ensley, both natives of Pennsylvania. To them there were born seven children, three of whom are now living, as follows; Mary, wife of Thomas Huffman, of Des Moines, Iowa, Joseph L. and James.
James Ensley, the father of Joseph L., was one of the old-fashioned pioneer settlers of the southern part of Ohio. By occupation he was a farmer, and had to contend with the difficulties and hardships that were inseparably connected with his vocation in the early days of the century. Moving to Ohio in 1818, he settled in Butler township, Montgomery county, built a log cabin and lived there until 1849, when he died, at the age of sixty-five years. His wife survived him until 1888, dying at the great age of ninety-three. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Ensley served as justice of the peace for a number of years, and also held other township offices, showing that he was a man of prominence and that he was held in honor by his fellow-men. Upon arriving in Butler township, as above related, he purchased 160 acres of land, to which he added other tracts from time to time until at his death he owned about 300 acres. Beside this large quantity of land he owned a grist-mill, which he leased to others.
George Ensley, the father of James Ensley, was a native of Bedford county, Pa., and was of German descent. He and his wife, who survived him some years, reared a family of seven children. He died in his native county at an advanced age. The maternal grandfather of Joseph L. Ensley, William Lodge, was a farmer by occupation and died in Pennsylvania, while yet in middle life.
Joseph L. Ensley received the rudiments of his education in the district schools, and has supplemented the education there obtained by close observation and wide reading, until now he is one of the best informed men of his community. Remaining at home until he was twenty-four years of age, he then began the active duties of a farmer's life on his own behalf, and was soon afterward married to Ann Rebecca Drill, daughter of George and Jemima (Lakin) Drill. This marriage occurred December 18, 1849, and has resulted in the birth of six children, two sons and four daughters, as follows: Mary, Elizabeth, Martha, James, Benjamin Franklin and Rosa Ann. Mary married Ezra Jones, of Harrison township; Elizabeth died in infancy; Martha married William Brentlinger, and has nine children, as follows: Franklin, Ira, Burt, Arthur, Annie, Mary, Wilbur, Charles and Elizabeth. James married Melissa Deaton, and has one child living, Lawrence. Rosa Ann married William Kerns, and has one child, Joseph.
Mr. and Mrs. Ensley are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, as are all of the children, their wives and husbands. Mr. Ensley is trustee of his church. Politically he is a republican.
Mr. Ensley began life for himself by renting 160 acres of land of his father in Harrison township, upon which he lived four or five years, and then purchased it in partnership with his brother, George W. Later he sold his interest to his brother, and purchased 200 acres near the Miami river and not far from the city of Dayton. Upon this 200-acre farm he lived for thirteen years, and then purchased the farm upon which he now resides. This farm then contained seventy-two acres, to which he has added at different times, becoming the owner of several farms, and also of five or six houses and lots in Dayton. To his children he has given largely of his property, and now retains only 130 acres of farm land, his home being two and a half miles from the Dayton court house. He also owns one-third of Idylwild park.
Mr. Ensley has been one of the principal factors in the development of Montgomery county, and has seen Dayton grow from a village into a large and prosperous manufacturing city. As a representative farmer, and as an upright and useful citizen, he enjoys the sincere esteem of a large circle of acquaintances and friends.
ANDREW FORNEY, [pages 1118-1119] justice of the peace of Highland, Ohio, was born in Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, June 7, 1838. He is a son of Christian and Magdalene (Kimmel) Forney, the former of whom was a native of Lancaster, Pa., and the latter of the " The Glades," in Pennsylvania. Christian and Magdalene Forney were the parents of four children, three of whom are now living, as follows: John, of Liberty; Andrew and David, both of Dayton. In his early life Christian Forney was a blacksmith, but afterward turned his attention to farming. He was one of the early settlers of Ohio, locating in Jackson township, Montgomery county, but afterward bought a farm of 135 acres in Jefferson township, upon which he lived the remainder of his life, dying at the age of sixty-six. His wife had died about five years before.
The paternal grandfather of Andrew Forney lived in Lancaster, Pa., dying therein old age. The maternal grandfather also died at an advanced age in Pennsylvania.
Andrew Forney, the subject of this sketch, with the exception of four years when he lived in Greene county, has been a resident of Montgomery county all his life. When yet quite a young man he began learning the black-smith trade in his father's shop in Jackson township. He lived at Harshman for eight years, and in December, 1893, removed to Highland, his present place of residence, and established himself in the trade of blacksmith, in making and repairing wagons and carriages. That he is a skillful workman is known far and wide, and his patronage is unusually extensive.
On April 19, 1860, he married Mahaley Shank, daughter of Samuel Shank. To this marriage there were born five children, as follows: Emma, Laura,. Mollie, Charles and William. Emma married Charles Garst, and has two children living; Laura married William Magarity, lives in New York, and has three children; Mollie married Henry Mohler, and has two children; Charles, who lives at Harshman, married Ella Myers, and has one child; and William, who lives in Greene county, married Emma Rigglesperger.
Mrs. Forney died February 26, 1875, a member of the United Brethren church. Mr. Forney's second marriage was with Miss Susie Ebright, who lived but a short time. February 14, 1882, Mr. Forney married, for his third wife, Mrs. Magdalene Schiller, daughter of Frederick and Eleanora (Schuster) Unland. By this marriage he has one child, Minnie. By her marriage with Michael Myers, her first husband, Mrs. Forney has two children living, viz: John and Ella. John married Miss Ella Brown and has one child, and Ella married Charles Forney, son of Andrew A. Forney, and has one child.
Mr. and Mrs. Forney are members of the Reformed church. For many years he was an elder in the United Brethren church at Liberty and also class leader. Inasmuch as at Highland there is no church of that denomination he and his wife united with the Reformed church. During the late Civil war Mr. Forney was a soldier in the one hundred days' service at Camp Miami. Politically, he is an old Jackson democrat. He has been thrice elected justice of the peace, and when the spring of 1897 arrives he will have served in that office nine years. Mrs. Forney, like her husband, has been married three times, her second husband having been William Schiller. Both Esquire Forney and his wife are highly esteemed members both of general society and of their church.
JOSIAH B. FLORY, [pages 1119-1120] a prominent farmer and dairyman of Harrison township, A J Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Randolph township, same county, June 29, 1852. He is a son of Henry and Susan (Miller) Flory, natives of Montgomery county, he having been born in Madison township, and she on the farm on which subject now resides. To their marriage were born three children, as follows: Josiah B.; Mary, wife of W. J. Shoup, and Ira O. Henry Flory has always followed farming, and at present lives in Randolph township, near Harrisburg. He moved into Harrison township in 1852, and resided there until 1889, when he removed to his present farm. At one time he owned 212 acres of land near Dayton, has always been a general farmer, and has been unusually successful. His wife, who was, as he is, a member of the German Baptist or Dunkard church, died in 1881, aged forty-eight years.
The paternal grandfather of Josiah B., Abraham Flory, was a native of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. He was also a farmer, and was one of the very early settlers of Ohio. He came to this state when yet a boy, was reared and educated in Ohio, and became a minister of the German Baptist church. He reared a family of three children and died in his eighty-ninth year. The maternal grandfather, Daniel Miller, was born in Harrison township, this county, on the farm upon which his father settled in 1804. Upon this farm Daniel grew to manhood, lived in this township all his life, and died in 1861, at the age of fifty-five years. He reared a family of three daughters.
Josiah B. Flory was reared on the farm upon which he now lives, from the time he was thirteen years of age. Upon this same farm his father and grandfather were reared before him. His early education was received in the district school and at Lebanon Normal school. Remaining at home until he was twenty-one years of age, he then rented a tract of land, upon which he carried on farming for six years. Then buying a farm in Darke county, he lived thereon about one year, when he returned to the old home farm, upon which he has lived ever since. This home farm now contains seventy-seven acres, and upon it he carries on general farming and the dairy business. Beside this farm, Mr. Flory has an interest in a farm near Dayton View, the latter containing sixty-six acres.
On October 30, 1873, Mr. Flory married Miss Sarah Eby, daughter of Adam S. and Elizabeth (Bartels) Eby, and to this marriage there have been born two children, Edgar L. and Robert E. Mr. and Mrs. Flory are members of the United Brethren church, and politically Mr. Flory is a republican.
CARRIS W. FALKNOR, [page 1120] farmer, of Clay township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Randolph township, same county, December 14, 1847. His grandfather, Levi Falknor, was a native of Pennsylvania, and shortly after his marriage, in that state, to Margaret Nicodemus, came to Ohio, about the year 1820, and settled on eighty acres of land in Randolph township, Montgomery county. This land he cleared from the woods and converted into as good a farm as could be found among the pioneers. He was a democrat, a useful member of his community, and reared a goodly family of children, who were named John, Daniel, Hettie, Levi, Mary A., Andrew, Eli, Wesley and Joseph.
Levi Falknor, father of Carris W. Falknor, was born in Randolph township, in October, 1824, and was reared on his father's farm. He received but a limited education, as good schools were not very plentiful in those early days, and labor on the home farm was greatly in demand. He married Miss Nancy R. Herr, a daughter of Samuel and Frances (Long) Herr, and settled on a farm of 150 acres in the woods of Clay township, where he lived until 1872, when he retired to Harrisburg, where he now resides. He is the owner of two farms, however, one in Clay and one in Randolph township, aggregating 250 acres, which he still manages. Mrs. Nancy Falknor died in Harrisburg in 1880, a member of the Wegner church, and sincerely esteemed for her many excellent qualities as a wife and mother. To Mr. and Mrs. Falkner were born the following children: Angeline, who died at five years of age; Carris W., the subject of this memoir; David, Francis, Lorin, Mary A., Theodore and Jerome. Mr. Falknor has been very successful through life and is now enjoying the fruits of his early industry. Like his father, he is in his politics a democrat.
Carris W. Falknor received the usual district-school education common to lads reared on the farm, and was an assistant to his father on the home place until his marriage, January 28, 1872, to Miss Mary A. Kinsey, who was born in Randolph township, January 14, 1853, a daughter of Jacob and Susannah (Boyer) Kinsey. The young couple remained on the Falknor homestead until March 5, 1872, when they moved to Darke county, and lived there for two years, and then returned to their old home. February 15, 1881, Mr. Falkner bought his present farm of ninety-three acres, which he has greatly improved in many ways, having set out a thrifty orchard and otherwise embellished his place. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Falknor has been blessed with one daughter, Carrie H., now married to Rollin Welbaum, of Miami county. She was born September 30, 1875, married September 9, 1894, and is the mother of one child, Ocelin M., born October 26, 1895.
Mr. and Mrs. Falknor are members of the United Brethren church, and in politics Mr. Falknor is a democrat. He has prospered in his vocation, establishing for himself at the same time an enviable reputation for integrity and public-spirited usefulness, and has one of the most pleasant homes in Clay township.
SAMUEL L. FRENCH, [pages 1120-1121] a farmer of Harrison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., March 7, 1825. His parents were George W. and Elizabeth (Roberts) French, the former a native of Hartford, Conn., and the latter of Lancaster county, Pa. To them there were born eleven children, seven of whom are still living, as follows: Samuel L.; Eliza, wife of James Myers; Mary Anna, wife of James Mahlon; John, Benjamin, Abner, and Melissie, wife of Joseph Gillan.
George W. French, the father, was a nail cutter in his early life. In 1835 he came to Ohio and here engaged in farming, locating six miles east of Troy, where he bought a quarter section of land. Here for about twenty years he followed the pursuit of agriculture. In 1856 Mr. French removed to Indiana, locating fourteen miles from Indianapolis, where he carried on farming for a number of years, and about 1860 purchased property in Zionsville, sixteen miles from Indianapolis, where he continued to live until his death, which occurred in 1894, when he was ninety-six years old. His widow, who is now ninety-four years of age, is living with her daughter, Mary Ann. Mr. French was, and Mrs. French is, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
When George W. French and his family came to Ohio, Samuel L., his son, was nine years old. He was here reared to the life of a pioneer farmer, living in the woods, as the country was then but little cleared. Remaining at home until he was seventeen years of age, he then began to learn the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for five years. He then removed to Shelby county, where he lived for fourteen years, and in 1866 came to Montgomery county, where he purchased a farm of 100 acres of land, together with a tract for the erection of his buildings, and has lived here since that time.
November 5, 1846, he was married to Miss Mary Booher, daughter of Bartholomew Booher and his wife, Sarah. To this marriage there have been born six children, five sons and one daughter, as follows: George, Sarah, John, Isaac N., and two that died in early childhood. Only two of these children are now living, viz: Sarah and Isaac. Sarah married William Heinz, of Dayton, and has two children. Isaac married Ella Snyder. Mr. and Mrs. French are members of the United Brethren church. Politically he is a democrat, and is a man of character and reputation, second to none in the county.
ANANIAS FRANTZ, [pages 1121-1122] of Clayton post-office, one of the substantial farmers of Randolph township, is a grandson of one of the original pioneers of Montgomery county, Henry Frantz, who was a son of the original emigrant from Germany, the founder of the family in America, whose name is not now recalled. But he settled in Pennsylvania, where Henry Frantz was born. Removing to Virginia, Henry Frantz settled at Salem, in what is now Roanoke county, that state. He married Mary Kinsey, who is mentioned more fully in the biography of Jesse Kinsey, elsewhere in this volume. Their children were as follows: Daniel, Christian, Hettie, Lydia, Mary, Sallie, Polly, Susannah, and Elizabeth.
Henry Frantz moved with his family to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1825, with a four-horse team and large wagon, Mrs. Frantz riding on horseback. At first he settled in the Stillwater valley, and then bought land in Madison township, where Ira Frantz now lives. This land was then partly cleared, and he cleared the remainder, making it a fine farm and a good home. Henry Frantz was one of the sturdy, reliable pioneers, and reared a most respected family. He died on his home farm in 1840, at the age of sixty-seven years.
Daniel Frantz, son of Henry and father of Ananias Frantz, was born February 7, 1813, and was therefore twelve years of age when he came with his parents to Ohio. Having received his education and chosen his vocation in life, that of a farmer, he married Salome Rodebaugh, by whom he had the following children: Maria, Katie, Lucinda, and two that died in infancy or youth. The mother of these children having died, Mr. Frantz married Susannah Arnold, who was born July 24, 1817, in Perry township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and was a daughter of Hon. John and Barbara (Freedn) Arnold, the former of whom was one of the pioneers of that county, in which he entered land. To Mr. and Mrs. Frantz there were born three children, viz: Ananias, Ira and Alice. Daniel Frantz first bought land in Madison township, near the old homestead, afterward bought fifty acres in Randolph township, and in later years purchased the old Frantz homestead of 160 acres, making 250 acres of land. In his early days he was a great hunter and fisher, and killed many squirrels and quails, which he disposed of in the Dayton market. He was a sturdy pioneer, and has always borne an honorable reputation. He is still in good health and has an excellent memory, at the great age of eighty-four.
Ananias Frantz, son of Daniel, was born April 11, 1855, on his father's farm in Madison township. Having received a good education in the common schools, and entered upon the life of a farmer, he married, on November 16, 1876, in Dayton, Miss Alice Landis, who was born September 16, 1857, in Madison township, near Trotwood, Ohio. She is a daughter of John M. and Elizabeth (Weaver) Landis. John M. Landis is of Pennsylvania-Dutch stock and is a son of Abraham and Mary (Miller) Landis.
Abraham Landis was born in Pennsylvania, married there and became one of the pioneers of Montgomery county, Ohio. He and his wife reared a large family, as follows: Sallie, Myra, Leah, Nancy, Polly, Lydia, Katie, Susan, Jacob, Samuel, Daniel, John M., Abraham and Michael. He was a successful farmer, lived to the age of seventy-seven years, and was a member of the German Baptist church. John M. Landis was born near Trotwood July 9, 1832, became a farmer, married Elizabeth Weaver, and is the father of the following children: Alice, Bell, Edward, Charles, Emma and Clarence.
Ananias Frantz and wife settled on his father's farm and afterward bought the place, consisting of 190 acres, which he has converted into a fine farm and upon which he erected, in 1886, a handsome residence. As a republican, Mr. Frantz has served on the school board eight years.
DR. HAYES E. GARDINER, [pages 1122-1123] one of Montgomery county's well known physicians and surgeons, is a native of Miami county, Ohio, was born March 7, 1866, and is of Scotch-Irish stock. Henry Gardiner, his father, was born June 6, 1827, in county Mayo, Ireland, his parents having been natives of Scotland, and reared to be uncompromising Presbyterians.
Henry Gardiner was a landowner and came to America at the age of twenty years, and engaged in farming in the neighborhood of Troy, Miami county, Ohio, about 1851. He married in that city Miss Rebecca J. Sproule, who was born in Troy, September 19, 1826, a daughter of Robert and Margaret (Hayes) Sproule.
Robert Sproule was a native of county Tyrone, Ireland, of Scotch Covenanter descent, and was of a wealthy family of landowners. He came to America when a young man, bought an estate in South Carolina, settled thereon, and there married Miss Margaret Hayes, who was born in county Tyrone, Ireland, and came to America in the same vessel with her future husband. Mr. Sproule remained for some years on his estate in South Carolina, but, being opposed to the institution of African slavery as it then existed, sought a home in Ohio about the year 1807. Reaching a point opposite Cincinnati on his way hither, he crossed the river, with his chattels, in a ferry-boat, pushed on with his horses and wagons until he reached Miami county, where he entered large tracts of land near Troy, and gave to each of his nine children a farm, reserving 320 acres for his homestead. There he followed farming and also built a flouring-mill and a saw-mill—the best in the county— and in 1819 erected a fine brick dwelling, superior, in every respect, to any then in the neighborhood or in the county of Miami. This mansion is still standing, and is in a good state of preservation. Mr. Sproule possessed rare attainments, and voluntarily taught the pioneer schools of his adopted county that were within his reach.
To Mr. Sproule and wife were born the following named children: Thomas, Samuel, James, Robert, Margaret, Fannie (who died young), Martha, Sallie, Matilda, Elizabeth, Isabel, Rebecca J. and Nancy. Mr. Sproule was a devoted Presbyterian, and assisted to found and erect the edifice for that denomination in his own county; he was also a patriot and took part in the Indian wars, but lived to be an aged man, and died full of honor and respected as a benefactor of his race.
After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gardiner settled on a farm of 160 acres at Troy, Ohio. fully improved it, and there Mr. Gardiner still resides. Their children were born in the following order: Robert, who was killed by lightning in 1880, at the age of twenty-three years; William; Samuel, deceased; Hayes E., Nannie and Sallie.
Dr. Hayes E. Gardiner was reared on his father's farm near Troy, Ohio, received his education in the common schools and in the Normal university at Ada, Ohio, and afterward attended the Columbus (Ohio) Medical college, from which he graduated, with honors and the class prize, in April, 1889. He also studied medicine under Dr. Linderberger, of Troy, and in the year of his graduation began the pursuit of his profession at Salem, where he soon secured a large and lucrative practice in the town and throughout the surrounding country. Dr. Gardiner is a member of the Miami Medical society, from which he receives many important hints derived from the practice of his brother practitioners, and to which he contributes essays based on his personal experience.
The marriage of Dr. Gardiner was consummated June 4, 1890, in Dresden, Muskingum county, Ohio, with Miss Elenor Bell, who was born in Bakersville, Coshocton county, Ohio, December 16, 1869. She is a daughter of Rev. Thomas H. D. and Mary (Krout) Bell, whose other children were Alba and Frederick—the latter dying at the age of nineteen years. Dr. Gardiner and wife have one child—Claude. In politics the doctor is a republican. Fraternally, he is a member of Randolph lodge, I. 0. 0. F., in which he has passed all the chairs, and of the K. of P. lodge at Brookville.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page