WILLIAM H. REYNOLDS, [pages 1218-1219] an ex-soldier of the late Civil war, and a citizen of Montgomery county, springs from Irish and Pennsylvania-Dutch ancestry.
William H. Reynolds, Sr., his father, was born in Pennsylvania January 26, 1817, and was the son of a soldier of the war of 1812. He was a millwright by trade, and came to Ohio about 1831, settling at Salem, Montgomery county. He married Elizabeth Rasor, who was born December 8, 1820, and was a daughter of John and Hannah (Michael) Rasor, a biographical sketch of the former of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Reynolds and wife a few years after their marriage settled on an eighty-acre tract of land given to Mrs. Reynolds by her father. This land was covered with timber, and upon it he built a log cabin, cleared away the forest and made a good home. Mr. Reynolds was for many years a class leader in the United Brethren church, of which he and his wife were members. They were the parents of the following children: John W., George F., William H., James R., Andrew J., Susannah, Daniel R., Mary E. and Hannah C. Politically Mr. Reynolds was a strong republican, and three of his sons served as soldiers in the Civil war. Joseph was a member of company B, Seventy-first regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, veteranized, served four years and seven months, and participated in many battles. He was promoted to second lieutenant for meritorious conduct at the battle of Nashville, and was killed in the last battle in which his regiment was engaged. George F. was a member of company C., One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and William H. was also a good soldier in the war. Mr. Reynolds in 1872 removed to Jay county, Ind., and settled in Red Key, where he bought 146 acres of land south of town, upon which he passed his remaining days. He was an industrious man and an honored citizen, serving as township trustee and as clerk of his township several times.
William H. Reynolds, the subject of this sketch, was born February 8, 1845, on his father’s farm. Receiving the common-school education of the day, he became will prepared to struggle with the world, and has been unusually successful. Enlisting in company B, Eighty-first regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, at Dayton, Ohio, February 4, 1865, when he was about twenty years of age, he served until July 13, of the same years, when he was mustered out and discharged, on account of the closing of the war. He served under Capt. Ira Foutz, and was on the hardest march in history, from Savannah to Washington, D. C., his regiment joining Sherman at Raleigh, N. C., and often marching thirty-six miles per day. He participated in the grand review at Washington, D. C., which took place May 24 and 25, 1865.
After the was he returned to Montgomery county, and on December 7, 1865, married Rachael Werts, who was born March 28, 1846, in Preble county, Ohio, and is a daughter of David and Elizabeth (Piles) Werts. David Werts was of Pennsylvania-Dutch descent, and his father, Jacob Werts, was a pioneer settler of Preble county, Ohio. David Werts was a carpenter, a cooper and a miller, and lived many years at West Baltimore, Ohio, where he was a prominent citizen. He was a republican in politics. His children were as follows: Rachael, Corilla, Amanda, Martha J., Joseph D., Perry D. and Elizabeth. He lived to be about sixty-five years old, and died at West Baltimore, Ohio, in August, 1891.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds settled on his father’s farm, living there one year, and have ever since lived in Montgomery county, Ohio, with the exception of twelve years, when they were in Jay county, Ind., and in Kansas, where Mr. Reynolds worked at this trade, that of carpenter and housebuilder, from 1872 to 1883, returning to their present farm in the latter year. Both Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds are members of the United Brethren church, in which Mr. Reynolds is a trustee. Politically he is a republican, and is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds are the parents of the following children: Marley, Ulysses S., Elizabeth E., Alice L., Corilla A., Perry A., Nora J. and William O. These children have been brought up with the greatest care, and given a good education. Ulysses S. married Lena Heartenstein, of Salem, is a butcher by occupation, and has three sons and one daughter; Elizabeth married Lewis Oaks, a farmer of Dayton, and has three sons; Alice married Charles Kress, a farmer of Miami county, and has one son. Corilla married Ezra Sarber, a farmer of Darke county, Ohio, and has three sons. All are prosperous and well-to-do people, and stand high in the esteem of their respective communities.
JOHN SAYLOR, [pages 1219-1220] whose post-office is Clayton, Ohio, is one of the leading farmers of Clay township. He sprang from Swiss ancestors, who settled in Maryland in old colonial times. His grandfather, Jacob Sayler, was born in Maryland, and was a son of Daniel Sayler, whose father came from Switzerland. The family belonged to the German Baptist, or Dunkard, church.
Jacob Sayler was a farmer of Frederick county, Md., and a Dunkard preacher, following both callings during his life. The farm upon which he always lived lay in Frederick county, Md. He married Hannah Garber, by whom he was the father of the following children: Reuben, Mary, Catherine, Betsey, Sarah, Jacob, Henry and William. Mr. Sayler was one of the substantial farmers and most prominent citizens of his county. He was a consistent member of the German Baptist church.
Reuben Sayler, father of John Sayler, was born July 4, 1818, in Frederick county, Md., was self-educated and followed successfully the occupation of a farmer. He married Hannah Smith, who was born in 1821, in Frederick county, Md., and who was a daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Linn) Smith, the Smith and Linn families being of German ancestry. Mr. and Mrs. Sayler settled on a 160-acre farm in Frederick county, Md., and there passed the period of their active lives. They then retired to Union Bridge, in Carroll county, where, after twenty years, Mr. Sayler died in 1878, at the age of sixty-eight. In his younger days he was a hard-working and industrious man, and was always prosperous. When he died he left a valuable estate, in farming lands and in city property. He served as a member of the council of Union Bridge, and also as mayor of the town. Politically, he was a democrat, and was an unusually intelligent and useful citizen. He was a reader of history, a patron of the best literature, and took an active interest in educational and religious affairs.
John Sayler, the subject of this sketch, was born June 18, 1842, in Frederick county, Md., and was reared a farmer’s boy on his father’s farm. His education was such as was then supplied by the common schools. Removing to Dayton, Ohio, in 1862, a young man, he became engaged in the flour-mills, and continued to work therein for two years. On April 18, 1865 he married Harriet E. Wampler, who was born in Harrison township, Montgomery county, four miles north of Dayton, June 15, 1845. She is a daughter of Jesse and Catherine (Puterbaugh) Wampler, the former of who was born January 5, 1820, in Carroll county, Md. In 1827 Jesse Wampler removed with his parents to Montgomery county, his father, Philip, being an original pioneer settler in this county, locating on Still Water river. Philip Wampler was of Swiss origin, of an old colonial family, and a soldier in the war of 1812. He married Catherine Rogers, of Carroll county, Md., and by her had the following children: Edward, Jesse, William, John, Samuel, David, Joseph, Mary A., Hannah, Elizabeth, Catherine and Anna. When he removed to Montgomery county in 1827 it was with horses and wagon, and upon his arrival he bought 160 acres of fine farming land, paying therefore $14 per acre. Afterward he purchased other lands, up to the number of 300 acres, all in one body. He died in 1878 at the great age of ninety years. He was a prominent member of the German Baptist church for many years, and was well known far and wide as an honorable and upright man.
Jesse Wampler, his son, and the father of Mrs. Sayler, settled on a farm after his marriage, at which time he received from his father 250 acres of land in one body, which he later divided among his children upon his retirement to a homestead on which he has lived ever since. He has long been a member of the German Baptist church. His children are as follows: Harriet, William. Louisa, and Laura, deceased wife of David Klepinger, who was at the time of her death thirty-two years of age. Mr. Wampler is one of the progressive men of the county, a constant reader of the best current literature, and thus keeps himself fully abreast of the times. The Wampler family is one of the best in the county, noted for many sturdy and valuable traits of character and for safe and reliable qualities of citizenship.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Saylor settled in Harrison township, and lived there six years, removing to their present farm December 14, 1871. It contains 104 acres of land, and has been greatly improved by Mr. Sayler. He is now carrying on dairying on an extensive scale, and is also engaged in the manufacture of native wine.
To Mr. and Mrs. Sayler there have been born the following children: Jessie, Charles, Lloyd, Dr. Howard and Milton. The children have all been well educated and Dr. Howard Sayler is a practicing physician at Union, Montgomery county, Ohio. Mrs. Sayler is a member of the German Baptist church. Mr. Sayler is a democrat in politics, has served as school director, and is among the best and most useful citizens of Montgomery county.
BARTHOLOMEW WILSON, [pages 1221-1222] one of the oldest business men and farmers of Wayne township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born here, on his father’s farm, July 26, 1826, and is of remote Scottish extraction.
Israel Wilson, father of Bartholomew, was born in Loudoun county, Va., May 24, 1798, but at the age of three years was left an orphan and was bound out to Moses Miller, of the same county. In 1812, when Israel was fourteen years of age, Mr. Miller came to Ohio, bringing with him his family, young Wilson included, and settled in the woods of Wayne township. Israel here began learning blacksmithing under Mr. Miller, but, disliking the trade, was permitted to learn millwrighting under a Mr. Staley. In March, 1824, Mr. Wilson married, in Wayne township, Miss Elizabeth Booher, who was born in Washington county, Pa., August 16, 1804, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Crull) Booher. John Booher was a native of Washington county, Md., whence he moved to Pennsylvania, and in 1807 brought his family to Wayne township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and settled on a tract of 160 acres, the title to which he received from the government in 1814. His children were named John, Margaret, Catherine, Samuel, Elizabeth, Bartholomew, Mary, Daniel, Anna, Sarah and Levi. Mr. Booher died on his farm at the age of eighty-six years, a member of the German Baptist church; his widow lived to reach the great age of ninety-three years and seven months, and died at the residence of her son Daniel, in Harrison township, her descendants numbering eleven children, eighty-six grandchildren, 118 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild.
After his marriage Mr. Wilson settled on seventy acres of wooded land in Wayne township, and this farm he increased to 201 acres. He and his wife were members of the United Brethren church, of which he was a steward and trustee for many years. In politics he was at first a whig and then became a republican, and for several years served as township treasurer. His death took place January 16, 1874, in his seventy-sixth year, and he left behind him a spotless name. The children born to Israel Wilson and wife were named Bartholomew, John, Ephraim, Isaiah and Mary J. The mother of this family died August 17, 1872, at the age of sixty-eight years, and was a woman of many estimable qualities.
Bartholomew Wilson, at the age of twenty years, in 1846, began burning lime on his father’s farm. He furnished lime for the old stone court house in Dayton and for many other large buildings in the city and elsewhere, and carried on the business for forty-eight years, when he retired with a competency. October 25, 1846, he married Miss Margaret A. Brenner, who was born in Wayne township June 2, 1828, a daughter of Jacob S. and Sarah A. (Mathews) Brenner, and went to housekeeping on the Wilson homestead, where they lived for three years. They then moved to a farm three miles south of the Miami river, where they lived seven years, when Mr. Wilson bought a farm in company with John L. Brenner, at present a member of congress from the Dayton district. This farm contained 163 acres, and here Mr. Wilson lived for three years, when he built the first house in Sulphur Grove, where he resided for ten years. In 1880 he moved to Dayton, where he made his home until 1893, when he retired to his present place. The marriage of Mr. Wilson was blessed with six children, viz: Henry, Sarah E., Dr. Isaiah B., Levina, Laura and Mary. Mrs. Wilson was called from earth April 3, 1893, in the faith of the United Brethren church, and on December 7, 1895, Mr. Wilson married Miss Catherine Brenner, who was born in Wayne township October 10, 1846, a daughter of Elias and Barbara (Detrick) Brenner. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are members of the United Brethren church, in which Mr. Wilson has served as steward, choir leader and trustee. In politics he is a republican, and served as township treasurer for ten years from 1860; fraternally he is a member of Osborn lodge, No. 414, I.O.O.F. Mr. Wilson is a man of enterprise, liberality and public spirit, and enjoys the confidence and esteem of the entire community. He has done much toward the development of Wayne township, and the product of his industry is scattered throughout the county as a component part of many a substantial building.
ISAIAH WILSON, [page 1222] a prominent citizen of Wayne township, is a son of Israel and Elizabeth (Booher) Wilson, of whom mention is made in detail in the biography of Bartholomew Wilson, published above.
Isaiah Wilson was born on the Wilson homestead in Wayne township, Montgomery county, Ohio, August 6, 1835, received a good common-school education, and for thirty-five years was in the lime business. At the age of twenty-eight years he married, in Montgomery county, January 23, 1863, Miss Elizabeth Brenner, who was born on her father’s farm in Wayne township, December 9, 1833, a daughter of Michael and Mary (Booher) Brenner.
Michael Brenner, father of Mrs. Wilson, was a native of Fauquier county, Va., a son of Lewis and Dorothy (Reprogel) Brenner, and was a mere boy when he came with his father to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1808. He here grew to manhood and married Miss Mary Booher.
After marriage, Isaiah Wilson settled on the Wilson homestead, and this has ever since been his place of residence. He was considerably improved the farm and has a substantial modern dwelling, containing every feature essential to a pleasant home. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Odd Fellows’ lodge at Dayton, and socially stands with the best citizens of the county. In politics he is a republican, for three years was treasurer of Wayne township, and has always held the confidence of his fellow-townsmen. He is very fond of the chase, and has made many trips to the woods of Michigan and Minnesota for the purpose of gratifying his taste for that exciting sport.
FRANK WILHELM, [pages 1222-1223] a native-born farmer of Butler township, Montgomery county, Ohio, descends from a wealthy colonial family of Pennsylvania, and was born July 19, 1840.
Jacob Wilhelm was the first of the family to come from Germany to America, brought with him considerable means and settled in Lancaster county, Pa. His grandson, also christened Jacob, was the great-grandfather of Frank, the subject of this biographical notice, and early kept a hotel in Harrisburg. He also owned forty acres of land immediately east of the state house, and this ground is now covered with costly buildings. He died about the year 1830, at the age of ninety-three years, a member of the German Reform church. He served in the Revolutionary war, and had been twice married, and by his first wife was the father of four children, viz: John, Peter, David and Catherine; to his second marriage no children were born
John Wilhelm, the grandfather of Frank Wilhelm, was born in Harrisburg, Pa., was a tanner by trade, and married Anna Longenecker, who bore him ten children, viz: Benjamin, Daniel, Mary, Samuel, Elizabeth, Joseph, Catherine, Sarah, Sophia and John. In 1820 he brought his family to Ohio, and for one year lived in Red Lion, Warren county; in 1821 he came to Montgomery county and bought a farm of 160 acres, eight miles north of Dayton, on the Covington pike, in Randolph township. He developed a fine farm, and finally retired to Vandalia, where he passed his declining years until his death, at the age of eighty-seven years, in the faith of the German Baptist church.
Daniel Wilhelm, the second son of John and father of Frank Wilhelm, was born in Harrisburg, Pa., in 1802, and was about eighteen years of age when brought to Ohio by his parents. He received a good common-school education and was reared on his father’s farm. In 1825 he married Miss Barbara Stouder, daughter of David Stouder, a native of Pennsylvania, whose children were named John, Barbara, David, Sarah and Daniel. After their marriage, Daniel Wilhelm and wife settled, in 1826, on the farm of 160 acres now owned by their son Frank. This land was at that time covered with timber, but Mr. Wilhelm cleared away the primeval forest, placed the land under cultivation, and eventually had one of the best-improved farms in the township. The children born to Daniel and Barbara Wilhelm were named Hester (died in 1850), Levina, Mary, Joseph (died in 1885), George, Martha, Sarah, Frank, Catherine (died in infancy) and Zimri (who also died an infant). Mr. and Mrs. Wilhelm were members of the United Brethren church and in politics Mr. Wilhelm was a democrat. The death of Mr. Wilhelm took place on his farm November 2, 1882, at the age of eighty years, and his name stands to-day as a synonym of integrity.
Frank Wilhelm was reared on his father’s farm, now his own, and was well educated in the district school. In 1859, he crossed the plains to Pike’s Peak, Colo., whence he went to Denver, where he remained one year, and then returned to his farm in Ohio, on which he remained until 1865. He then joined a United States survey party and again went west, overland, to Des Moines, Iowa, down to the Indian Territory, and over to Julesburg, Colo.; to Denver; to Salt Lake City, Utah; to Montana (where he was a member of the vigilance committee), and on to British Columbia, encountering Indians at various points in hostile struggles, and enduring all the hardships of winter travel over the plains. He did considerable gold mining, met with good fortune, and in 1869 returned to Ohio, where he has since passed his days in farming, enjoying the well-deserved respect of all who know him and being equally as successful in his agricultural pursuits as he was in his search for a fortune in the west.
SOLOMON WORMON, [pages 1223-1224] one of the most venerable residents of Clay township, Montgomery county, is of Swiss ancestry, and was born on his father’s homestead, south of Dayton, September 23, 1811, being thus, also, one of the oldest native-born citizens of this township.
Henry Wormon, grandfather of Solomon, was a child aged but one year when brought from Switzerland to America by his parents, who first located in Pennsylvania and afterward removed to Maryland and settled in Washington county. There Henry was reared to manhood, married Miss Magdalena Cour, and had born to him nine children, viz: George, Mary, Henry David, Anna, Jacob, Margaret, Eva and Barbara. Of this family, David, who was born in Washington county, Md., married Mrs. Mary Shonk, who was born in Maryland, May 15, 1780, and at the time of her marriage with Mr. Wormon was the widow of Henry Shonk, and by her first marriage was the mother of one child, Elizabeth, who married John Schroyer.
David Wormon and wife came to Ohio in 1806 and settled in Montgomery county, October 11, near the then hamlet of Dayton, and found shelter in a log cabin on what is now known as the Lebanon turnpike, but was then a mere wilderness. Here he bought a tract of 160 acres, which was improved only with this log cabin and two acres of cleared land. The remainder, however, he cleared up, and bought or entered other tracts until he owned 700 acres, which, at his death, he distributed among his children. They were six in number, and were named Sarah, who was born December 26, 1805, in Maryland; Mary, born in Ohio in September, 1807; Lydia, Solomon, Margaret and David—these four also born in Ohio. David Wormon and wife were members of the United Brethren church and ardent promoters of the faith, aiding liberally in the support of the local congregation, and in the pioneer days threw their hospitable doors open to the itinerant ministers, and contributing to the erection of the first United Brethren edifice in Montgomery county. The death of Mr. Wormon occurred May 7, 1854, at the age of seventy-nine years. Mrs. Mary Wormon died December 22, 1854, in her seventy-fifth year, having lived to see thirty-two grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
Solomon Wormon, son of David and Mary Wormon, was reared on the home farm and received such education as the limited facilities of the pioneer schools afforded. In March, 1849, he married Miss Lydia Spitler, who was born in Montgomery county December 13, 1823, a daughter of Jacob and Susan (Wise) Spitler. Jacob Spitler was born in Botetourt county, Va., came to Ohio in 1804, settled in Montgomery county, and here died February 11, 1857, the father of the following children: John, Elizabeth, Sarah, Jacob, Lydia, Mary, Joseph, Esther, Daniel and Ann. For several years after marriage Mr. Wormon lived on his father’s farm, but March 10, 1856, moved to his present farm, then consisting of 182½ acres, which he has since increased to 280 acres. He destroyed the old double log house that occupied the premises when he first took possession, erected a modern farm dwelling, and has now one of the best farms in the county. The marriage of Solomon and Lydia Wormon was blessed with five children, named William, Sarah S., Julia, Emma and Jane. Mr. and Mrs. Wormon were long members of the United Brethren church, which they liberally supported with their means, and in the faith of which they reared their children. In politics Mr. Wormon was a republican, and at the age of eight-five years had a clear apprehension of his duty to his party and to his country. Mrs. Lydia Wormon died February 11, 1895, aged about seventy-one years, and Mr. Woman died December 11, 1896.
Of their children, Emma is now the widow of Jordan Falkner, and has three children—Ward W., Olive M. and Beatrice P.; Sarah S., deceased, was the wife of Henry Binkley, an architect of Dayton, and the mother of two children—Edwin W. and Edith B.; William married Caroline Binkley, is a stock dealer in Clay township, and has five children—Howard, Clark, Carrie, George and Earnest; Julia was married to Aaron Mummert, a farmer, and has two children--Florence and Hayes; Jane married Alonzo M. Campbell, of Brookville. Of the survivors, all maintain an excellent standing in the esteem and of the members of their respective communities.
Edith Binkley, daughter of Henry and Sarah S. (Wormon) Binkley, married Allen Howard November 4, 1894, and is the mother of one child, Lowell E., who was born March 23, 1896, and is the only great-grandchild of Solomon Wormon.
GEORGE BIXLER, [1229-1230] now living in retirement in Brookville, Clay township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Carroll county, Md., December 18, 1820. His great-great-grandfather came from Germany and settled in Maryland in the old colonial days. Peter Bixler, grandfather of George, was born in Frederick county, Md., but located in Carroll county early in life, married a Miss Vance, and had born to him the following children: John, Polly, Samuel, Elizabeth, Sallie, Benjamin and Joel. The father died in Carroll county, aged eighty-two years, a well-to-do farmer.
Samuel Bixler, son of Peter and father of George Bixler, was born in Carroll county, Md., October 6, 1799, and in his youthful days learned milling, which he followed for ten years. He married, in Carroll county, Miss Leah Maus, who was born in 1802, daughter of George and Mary (Kittsmitter) Maus, and to this marriage were born seven children, viz: George, Savilla, Eliza, Margaret (who died at two years of age), Kate, Mary and David. Samuel Bixler, after working for several years in his father-in-law’s mill in Maryland, came to Ohio in 1828, and for three months lived in Lewisburg, Preble county; then moved to what was then known as Fisher’s mill, on Twin creek, remained there a year and a half, and then, in 1830, came to Montgomery county and bought a 160-acre farm in Perry township, about ten miles west of Dayton, at $5 per acre, sixty acres being cleared and improved with a good log house and barn. This farm he paid for in silver--$800; of this sum he borrowed $500 from his father, in Maryland, making the trip thither on horseback. He stowed the silver in his saddle-bags, and was twelve days in crossing the mountains on his return. At night he would stop at some old-fashioned inn and trust his saddle-bags to the safe-keeping of the landlord. Mr. Bixler succeeded in clearing up his farm and in making an excellent home, where he died in 1859, aged nearly sixty years. He and his wife were members of the New Lutheran church, and in politics Mr. Bixler was a democrat. He reared his family in respectability, and he himself died an honored man.
George Bixler was reared to hard farm labor, and aided his father in clearing the home farm on coming to Ohio, he being then but eight years of age. He attended school two months each winter until seventeen years old, and at the age of twenty-seven, February 22, 1847, in Perry township, Montgomery county, married Miss Rachael A. Clemmer, who was born December 20, 1827, a daughter of John and Phebe (Nevins) Clemmer. John Clemmer was a native of Virginia, married in Rockingham county, that state, and brought his family to Ohio, about 1812, and settled on Twin river, in Perry township, Montgomery county, cleared a farm of 160 acres, and there died at the age of eighty-one years. He was the father of ten children: Fannie, Mary, Jane, John, George, William, Rachael A., Martha, Silas and Catherine.
Mr. and Mrs. Bixler, just after marriage, located on a farm of eighty acres in Perry township, of which fifteen acres had been cleared. Mr. Bixler lived here but one year, having in the meantime built a log house. He then moved upon his father’s farm, where he lived for a year, going thence to a farm of 148 acres in the same township, which he still owns. To this he added until he owned 250 acres in Montgomery county and 380 acres in Darke county, and finally retired from his farm residence to Brookville, February 28, 1895, having given each of his children sufficient means to start them well in life. In politics Mr. Bixler was first a democrat, but was early inbued with republican ideas, and was one of the organizers of that party in Montgomery county, voting for its first nominee for the presidency of the United States, John C. Fremont. He and his wife are members of the New Lutheran church, in which faith they have reared their seven children, who were named, in order of birth, Phebe, Samuel, John, Mary, David, William and Jesse F. The family are held in high esteem throughout the township and in all parts of the county, where the name is widely known.
JOHN F. BEARDSHEAR, [page 1230] a well-known farmer of Harrison township, Montgomery County, Ohio, was born on the farm on which he still resides, August 23, 1838, and is a son of Isaac and Sarah (Booher) Beardshear, also natives of Montgomery county, and who were the parents of three children viz: Levi; Sarah Ann, wife of Ezra Bimm, and John F. The father was a skillful and thriving farmer, accumulated considerable land, and in 1850, erected the dwelling in which his son, John F., now lives. He died June 5, 1882, at the age of seventy-six years, in the faith of the Baptist church, while his wife, who was a Methodist, survived until September 20, 1888, when she died at the age of seventy-two years.
George Beardshear, the paternal grandfather of John F. Beardshear, was a Pennsylvanian by birth, and at a very early day came to Ohio, bought or entered several tracts of land in what is now Harrison township, reared a large family, and here died somewhat past middle life. John Booher, the maternal grandfather of John F. Beardshear, was born near Baltimore, Md., and was also an early settler of Ohio.
John F. Beardshear was reared on the farm of his birth, received a good common-school education, and at the dearth of his parents bought out the interest of the other heirs to the home place, upon which he has since resided. He owns eighty-two acres of excellently cultivated land, improved with every modern convenience. He has never married, and his pleasant home is under the care of his aunt, Mrs. Catherine Booher, widow of Daniel Booher. Politically, Mr. Beardshear is an independent democrat.
SAMUEL BRUMBAUGH, [pages 1230-1231] a farmer of Perry township, Montgomery county, Ohio, is descended from Pennsylvania-Dutch stock, the founder of the family in America having come from Germany. He was Conrad Brumbaugh, and was the grandfather of Samuel Brumbaugh. It is believed that he was married in Germany. Two of his brothers also came to America, but the date of their coming is not now know. From these three brothers sprang all the Brumbaughs of Pennsylvania.
Conrad Brumbaugh settled in Lancaster county, Pa., probably before 1761, as it is believed that all of his large family were born in Pennsylvania, and the youngest of his thirteen children was born in 1787. After a part of his children were born he removed to Morrison’s Cove, Bedford county, Pa., but the Indians becoming troublesome he returned to the more thickly settled portion of the state. When he reached Morrison’s Cove he found the Indians in possession, and that they had destroyed everything he had left behind, and had killed all the remaining settlers. After the Indian troubles ceased, Conrad Brumbaugh returned to this place with his family, made a home and lived there for some time. Then removing to Allegheny county, Pa., he made a home for his family there in the wilderness, and became one of the pioneers of that section of the state. His children were John, Daniel, Jacob,
William, Conrad, David, George, Elizabeth and Christiana. Mr. Brumbaugh was well educated in Germany, and after reaching this country taught school and became a minister in the German Baptist church, being one of the first ministers of that church in America.
George Brumbaugh, father of Samuel, was born April 2, 1788, at Morrison’s Cove, Pa., and received the meager education of the times in which he lived. Brought up on the farm, he himself became a farmer, served in the war of 1812, and in 1815 married Elizabeth Vaniman, who was born in Pennsylvania, September 15, 1789. She was a daughter of John and Catherine (Martin) Vaniman, the former of whom was born in England, but came to America at a very early day, lived for many years in Pennsylvania, and then removed to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1805. John Vaniman settled in Madison township and entered a full section of government land. He erected a log cabin three miles south of the present home of Samuel Brumbaugh. In those early days he was surrounded by Indians, who were, however, friendly, and frequently went to his cabin for food. Mr. Vaniman put in a piece of corn on the Mad River bottoms, had a good crop, and during the first winter he and his family lived on corn bread, turnips, and wild game, the latter being then quite plentiful.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Vaniman were John, Jacob, Catherine, Elizabeth, Polly and Hannah, all of whom lived to become men and women. Mr. Vaniman was a German Baptist in religion, and lived to a good old age, dying on his farm. He was well known for miles around as one of the sturdy, honest and industrious pioneers. By his constant and well-directed efforts he accumulated considerable property, gave to each of his children 160 acres, and left to his widow 320 acres of land.
George Brumbaugh settled on 160 acres of land which his wife had received from her father. He cleared the entire tract of its timber, excepting four acres, which had already been cleared, and made it into a good farm. He lived on this farm until March, 1848, when he died, leaving the honored name of a good, useful and upright citizen. His children were Samuel and Catherine.
Samuel Brumbaugh was born February 4, 1823, on his present farm, and received the usual common-school education of the day. He was reared a farmer, and at the age of twenty-two, on September 11, 1845, married Miss Mary Rife, who was born February 11, 1823, in Rockingham county, Va. She is a daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Barker) Rife. Jacob Rife came to Perry county about 1837 and lived there until his death, which occurred when he was sixty-eight years old. His children were as follows: By his first wife: Daniel, Annie and Catherine, and by his second wife, Jacob, Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary and Frances.
Samuel Brumbaugh has always lived on his present farm, upon which his father settled in 1815, eighty-two years ago. To the original 160 acres of land he has added twenty-six acres, so that his farm now contains 186 acres, and is well improved with excellent buildings, and under a high state of cultivation. Mr. Brumbaugh is a member of the German Baptist church, and stands high among his fellow-citizens. To him and his wife have been born the following children: George, Jacob, Emanuel, Catherine, Elizabeth, Sarah and Isaac.
JESSE GILBERT, [pages 1231-1232] a well-to-do farmer of Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, is a native of Frederick county, Md., and was born July 18, 1826, of remotely German ancestors, who, on coming to America, made their home in the wilderness of Frederick county, Md., where many of the family name reached distinction. The Ohio family may be traced back to George Gilbert, whose children, Adam, David, James and Isaac, were all born in Maryland, where George himself lived and died.
Adam Gilbert, son of George Gilbert, and the father of Jesse, was born in Frederick county, Md., February 5, 1800, was reared a farmer, and married Catherine Diffenbaugh, a native of the same county, and a daughter of Henry and Catherine Diffenbaugh, also of German origin. To Adam Gilbert and wife were born ten children, viz: Jesse, Eleanor, John, Jane, Nelson, Mary, Joshua, Julia A., Louisa and Rebecca. The farm of Adam Gilbert was situated in Carroll county, Md., which county was cut off from Frederick and Baltimore counties after the birth of his son Jesse. He owned about 200 acres of land, located near Westminister, and there he died in 1865, a member of the Reformed church. In the later years of his life he was a strong republican in politics and a stanch supporter of the Union during the Civil war.
Jesse Gilbert received a fair common-school education, was a strong and rugged boy and did a great deal of useful work on the home farm. When about twenty-two years of age, in 1848, he came to Ohio, and located in Jackson township, Montgomery county. He here married Mrs. Hannah Mullendore, who bore the maiden name of Swinehart, and was a daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Swinehart. Peter Swinehart was of German descent, a native of Washington county, Pa., and came to Jackson township among the early pioneers, entering the land upon which Jesse Gilbert now lives, the tract consisting of 160 acres. Mr. and Mrs. Swinehart were the parents of eight children and were strict members of the Dunkard or German Baptist church and worthy members of the community in which they lived. Hannah Mullendore (Mrs. Gilbert) , by her first husband Daniel Mullendore, was the mother of five children—Anna Maria, Josiah (who died young), Leona, and two others (who also died young).
Jesse Gilbert and wife at their marriage, settled on the Swinehart homestead, and here Mr. Gilbert has since live. Mr. Gilbert has done much toward clearing up and improving this homestead, working long and industriously to bring it to its present condition of fertility and productiveness. He has been very prosperous, being expert in his calling, and is now the owner of 300 acres of excellent farming land. To the marriage of Jesse and Hannah Gilbert were born two children—Adam and Alice—the latter deceased. Mrs. Gilbert was called away February 13, 1880, dying in the faith of the Dunkard church, of which Mr. Gilbert is also a member. The son, Adam, was born on the homestead July 18, 1854, married Miss Elizabeth Moyer, and has two children, Jesse and Pearl. In politics Jesse Gilbert was formerly an old-line whig, but of recent years he has affiliated with the democratic party. He is public-spirited and disposed to aid all undertakings designed for the public good, and he enjoys the sincere respect of all his fellow-citizens and neighbors.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page