WALTER L. MARTINDALE, [pages 1292, 1295-1296] one of the younger members of the bar of Ohio, and of the fifth generation bearing his name in the Buckeye state, is a son of Capt. Samuel and Melvina Cary (Strong) Martindale, allusion to the former of whom is made in the history of Martindale family, and whose biography in full will be found on page 1304.
Capt. Samuel Martindale was born January 10, 1830, in Monroe township, Miami county, Ohio, a son of John and Amelia (Campbell) Martindale, and was always a tiller of the soil. He received a good common-school education, also attended the college at Delaware, Ohio, for a year or more, and continued to live on the paternal farm until twenty-three years of age, when he married, in Butler township, Montgomery county, June 3, 1853, Miss Melvina Cary Strong, who was born in Butler township, April 14, 1835, a daughter of John and Sarah (Pearson) Strong.
Col. John Strong, Sr., great-grandfather of Walter L. Martindale, was born February 17, 1724, and was married to Louisa Crouch, his first wife, in 1744; to them were born four children. He was married to his fourth wife, Deliverance Cary, whose maiden name was Grant, widow of Dr. Samuel Cary, of Lynn, N. H., in 1786; of this last marriage were born John Strong, Jr., at North Hetford, Vt., March 25, 1787, and Zebulon Strong, born September 7, 1788. Col. John Strong, Sr., died November 17, 1795, aged seventy-one years. His wife, Deliverance Strong, died at Cincinnati in 1810.
When a young man, in company with his brother, Zebulon, John Strong, father of Mrs. Martindale, came to Ohio and located at College Hill, near Cincinnati, where he was employed for some years at his trade of carpenter and cabinet-maker, and first married, February 4, 1813, Miss Sarah Pearson, who was born April 17, 1793. In August, 1832, he came to Butler township, Montgomery county, and in 1833 entered 319 ½ acres of land, all in the woods. He proved to be a capable farmer and added 120 acres to his first entry, and his homestead was one of the best in the township in its day. In politics he was a whig and in his religious views was independent. To his first marriage were born the following-named children: Sarah, John, George, Mary, Eber, Gilbert L., Julia Ann, Benjamin G., Bela F. and Melvina C.—all now deceased with the exception of the youngest (Mrs. Martindale). Mrs. Strong died January 25, 1846, a devoted member of the Methodist church, and September 20, 1852, Mr. Strong married Phebe French, but to this union no children were born. Mr. Strong was himself called away January 15, 1897, at the age of seventy-nine years, nine months and twenty days, and no man of his day stood higher in the esteem of the community. Mrs. Phebe (French) Strong survived until 1895.
Samuel Martindale and wife, at their marriage, first located on a part of the Strong homestead, where they made their home until 1869, but between these two dates a digression may be made in order to record the war history of Mr. Martindale, which must be brief: In August, 1861, he enlisted in Dayton, and was assigned to the recruiting service. He organized a company in Butler township for the three years’ service, which was mustered in at Camp Hamilton, September 9, 1861, as company H. Thirty-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, of which company he was commissioned first lieutenant, under Capt. Michael Gunckel, and took part in the engagements of Corinth, Perryville, Tullahoma, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Buzzard’s Roost, Atlanta, Dalton, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Chattanooga, Pine Mountain (general assault) and Peach Tree Creek. He was promoted to be captain of his company in October, 1862; at the siege of Chattanooga his hearing was destroyed through concussion caused by the bursting of a shell (1863), and he was finally honorably discharged, at the same point, April 8, 1864.
Capt. Martndale, after his return from the war, remained on the Strong homestead, as stated, until 1869. He then moved to the western part of Butler township and settled on a farm of 143 acres, was industrious and managed well, and in due course of time acquired 800 acres, located in Butler township, Montgomery county, and in Union township, Miami county. Before the war and during its progress Mr. Martindale was in politics a republican, but afterward became a democrat. He held the office of county commissioner from 1872 to 1875, and served also, at different periods, as township treasurer and township trustee, and was likewise an officer in several stock companies; fraternally, he was a member of the Dayton lodge of Freemasons, and in religion was a consistent member of the United Brethren church.
To the marriage of Capt. and Mrs. Martindale were born the following children: Edmund D., Warren O., Florence L., Samuel C., Wilson C., Walter L., Urilla A. and Arthur A. The death of the captain took place April 29, 1894, at the age of a little over sixty-four years. He was a faithful soldier, always active and prompt in the discharge of his duty; was possessed of excellent business abilities; he was a loving husband, a kind father, faithful and warm in his friendships, and a power in the community in which he lived. Mrs. Martindale is now living in Harrisburg. Through her father she is connected with the well-known New England family of Carys and also with the famous Ohio poets, Alice and Phebe Cary.
Walter L. Martindale, the subject proper of this biographical memoir, was born December 19, 1868, on the Martindale (or John Strong) homestead in Butler township, Montgomery county, Ohio. His preliminary education was acquired in the district school, and when sufficiently advanced, he attended the Ohio Normal university at Ada. After his graduation from the literary department of this institution, he taught school for five years—three in Ohio and two in New York state—at the same time studying law. He then entered the law department of the Ohio Normal university, and graduated from both the scientific and law departments in 1894, in which year, also, he was admitted to the bar of the state of Ohio. He at once entered upon the practice of his profession at Harrisburg, Montgomery county, where his abilities were speedily recognized, and where, during the short space of time since intervening, he has secured a patronage respectable in its proportions and remunerative in its returns.
Mr. Martindale was happily united in marriage June 2, 1892, in Stokes township, Logan county, Ohio, with Miss Minnie L. Brubaker, who was born October 8, 1871, a daughter of Joseph T. and Sarah (Loudenbock) Brubaker. For a year after marriage, Mr. Martindale taught school in Vandalia, Montgomery county, and it was shortly after the birth of his daughter, Ethel M., July 13, 1894, that he located in Harrisburg, his present home. In politics he is a democrat, and fraternally is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge at Union, Ohio. As a citizen he is respected and well-to-do, owning 350 acres of excellent farming land, and as an attorney is well-equipped, popular and unusually successful.
Joseph T. Brubaker, father of Mrs. Martindale, was born November 12, 1846, in Page county, Va., and is a son of Peter Brubaker, who was of Pennsylvania descent, and in Page county, Va., was a wealthy planter and slaveholder and the father of the following children; Joseph T., John, Perry, Abraham, Charles, Emma and Linna. Joseph T. Brubaker was a well-educated gentleman, and married, in Champaign county, Ohio, December 15, 1870, Sarah R. Loudenbock, and first located in Washington township, Logan county, on Loudenbock land, comprising 218 acres, and later settled on 100 acres of his own land in Stokes township. His wife died May 13, 1874, the mother of two children—Minnie L. (Mrs. Martindale) and one that died in infancy. Mr. Brubaker still resides on his farm and is an excellent citizen. During the Civil war he was drafted into the Confederate army at the age of eighteen years, and served until the close.
ROBERT CARSON, [pages 1296-1297] one of the ex-soldiers of the late Civil war, springs from Scotch ancestry, his parents being natives of Scotland. He was born October 3, 1838, on the Atlantic ocean off the banks of Newfoundland, while his parents were on their voyage to the United States. Reared in Newark, New Jersey, he received there a good common-school education, and when twelve years old became a cabin boy on the sea, sailing until he was fifteen years of age, and visiting different countries. After some further schooling he taught for a tine, and then learned the painter’s trade. In 1862 he enlisted at Buffalo, N. Y., for three years, or during the war, in company B, Sixteenth New York volunteer infantry, which regiment, after seeing some service, was consolidated with the Twelfth New York volunteer infantry. After serving nearly three years he was honorably discharged on account of wounds received in the service. At the time he was discharged in 1865, he was in hospital at Washington, D. C. Mr. Carson was in many skirmishes in Virginia, on the Potomac river, at Alexandria, and was in Washington when Gen. Early made his famous raid on that city. He was also with Sherman on the march from Atlanta to the sea, and took part also in many skirmishes and foraging expeditions in the southern part of the country. He received his wound in the battle Gettysburg, in a cavalry charge, the ball passing through the right shoulder, paralyzing his entire right side and limbs. He lay in hospital at Washington eight months, and after leaving there went to Rochester and thence to Chambersburg, Ohio, where he had lived before the war, and where he owned land.
Mr. Carson is a member of Weaver post, G. A. R., of Vandalia, Ohio. In politics he is a republican, and in religion a Presbyterian. He is one of those who served his country well during her hour of need and trial, and thereby lost his health, and partially lost the use of his body.
John L. Carson, his father, was born in Scotland, near the town of Dumfries, learned there the trade of painter, and married Margaret Miller. They became the parent of two children—Robert and Isabella. Mr. Carson came to the United States in 1838, settling in Newark, N. J., where Mrs. Carson died. By a second marriage Mr. Carson became the father of five children. John L. Carson and his first wife were members of the Presbyterian church, his second wife being a member of the Baptist church.
Robert Carson first married Mary Brooker, of Chambersburg, who died February 24, 1894, and who was a member of the United Brethren church. His second marriage took place October 21, 1895, at Chambersburg, Ohio, to Kate Hilderbrand, a widow, whose maiden name was Watkins, and who was a daughter of David and Angeline (Whittacer) Watkins. David Watkins is a prominent citizen of Warren county, and his children were Oscar, Kate, Almira and Esther. Mr. Watkins’ first wife died, and he then married Jerusha Witcey, by whom he had one daughter, Emma.
JOHN W. DRILL, [pages 1297-1298] of Chambersburg, Ohio, one of the old soldiers of the late Civil war, is a son of George and Jemima (Leakins) Drill. He was born February 9, 1828, in Frederick county, Md., and was brought the same year to Montgomery county, Ohio, by his parents. Reared among the pioneers, he acquired their habits and customs, and was educated in the little log school-house, common in the country in the days of his boyhood. When he was about twenty-one years of age he married, November 30, 1849, Lebina Hosier, who was born in Butler township, October 21, 1829, and was a daughter of Robert and Nancy (Compton) Hosier. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Drill settled on land in Harrison township, which Mr. Drill had purchased, and lived thereon two years, when he sold it and bought ten and a half acres, where he now lives. To Mr. and Mrs. Drill there were born the following children: Martha J., who died at the age of three years; Mary J., who died at the age of twenty-eight years; Nancy and Jemima; Robert, who died in infancy; and Josephine. The mother of these children died December 11, 1896.
Mr. Drill enlisted in October, 1861, in Capt. Walter Crook’s company, F, Seventy-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, to serve three years or during the war, and was honorably discharged at Savannah, Ga., by reason of the expiration of his term of service, January 6, 1865. At the time of his enlistment Mr. Drill was thirty-five years of age and left at home his wife and one child. He was at the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge and many smaller battles and skirmishes, including all of those of the great Atlanta campaign, when the Union troops were under fire for four months. He was in the battle in which Gen. McPherson fell, and in that of Jonesboro, after which he went with Sherman to the sea. He was in the battle of Savannah, and that at Columbia, after which he was discharged, his term of service having expired. Sent by shop from Hilton Head, to New York, he returned home from this latter city. He was one of the fortunate soldiers of the war, never being wounded nor taken prisoner and being sick in the hospital at Nashville only three weeks. He was in all the marches, campaigns, battles, and skirmishes in which his regiment was engaged, and was always prompt and cheerful in the performance of his duties. As a republican he has held the office of supervisor ten years and is an honored member of Vandalia post, No. 94, G. A. R.
George W. Drill, father of John W., was born in Frederick county, Md., October 7, 1787, and married in that county Jemima Leakins, who was born December 6, 1791, in the same county. Their children were Daniel, Elizabeth, Jacob, George, John W., Ann R. and Thomas. All except Ann R. lived to mature years. In 1828 Mr. Drill came to Montgomery county, Ohio, making the journey with a four-horse wagon and a one-horse carriage, or rockaway, as it was called. He settled in Harrison township, three miles from Dayton, at Ebenezer church. Here he purchased 160 acres of land, mostly Stillwater bottom land. With the exception of ten acres he cleared this tract of its timber, made of it a fine farm and lived thereon the remainder of his days, dying January 26, 1835. His wife died June 23, 1860, at the residence of John W. Drill. Mr. Drill was a member of the Protestant Episcopal church, and the Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal church was built on his land, He was of German ancestry, his father having come from Germany to the United States.
Robert Hosier was born in Virginia, was a farmer by vocation and was a teamster in the war of 1812. He married in Montgomery county, to which he came when about thirty years of age. His wife was Nancy Compton, born in South Carolina, daughter of William and Tetty Compton, both of English descent. Robert Hosier was one of the original pioneers of Montgomery county, settling here when there was but one store in Dayton. He entered 300 acres of land one-half mile east of Chambersburg before the Indians had left the country. He and his wife had the following children: Nancy, Isaac, Zimri, Rebecca, Rhonda, Mary, Joshua, Eli, Leona and one that died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Hosier were members of the Christian church, and he was well known throughout the county as a sturdy and prosperous pioneer.
MOSES EVANS, [pages 1298-1300] one of the most substantial farmers of Butler township, whose post-office is Fidelity, Ohio, springs from Welsh ancestry. His grandfather, Joseph Evans, was a farmer of Georgia, and in 1773 married in that state Miss Esther Buffington. Their children were Samuel, born January 27, 1775; Hannah, born October 27, 1776; Isaac, born November 7, 1778; Moses, born September 24, 1780; Margaret, born October 17, 1782; Adam, born December 30, 1784; John, born February 16, 1787; Robert, born February 7, 1879; Phebe, born December 13, 1790; Mary, born December 8, 1792; Aaron, born January 13, 1794, and Sally, born May 31, 1797.
Joseph Evans, father of these children, moved to Ohio in 1802 by means of wagons. The Evans family were Quakers, and moved way from Georgia on account of their opposition to slavery. They settled in Butler township, Montgomery county, near Vandalia. Here Mr. Evans passed his remaining days, dying August 31, 1828, when seventy-nine years and eleven days old. Esther Buffington, his wife, was born February 1, 1756, and died May 30, 1830. Mr. Evans was one of the sturdy, thrifty pioneers, and owned land enough to give each of his children a good farm.
Robert Evans, his son, and the father of Moses Evans, was born in Georgia, and according to his own statement was a small boy when the family moved to Ohio. Robert Evans received a fair common-school education in his youth, and became a farmer. July 12, 1812, he married Esther Jenkins, of Ohio, daughter of Thomas Jenkins. Mr. Evans after his marriage settled in Miami county on 170 acres of land, which he cleared from the woods. The town of Tippecanoe, Ohio, now stands on this farm. Mr. Evans became a prosperous man, and bought additional land for his children. This land lay in St. Joseph’s county, Ind. Politically he was an old-line whig and later a republican, and a strong Union man. Four of his sons were in the Union army, Jesse, Robert, Moses and Eli. The first three were in company G, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Ohio volunteer infantry, and served 100 days, and Eli served in an Indiana regiment. Mr. Evans was a Quaker in religious belief, like his ancestors before him.
His children by his first wife were Thomas, Joseph, William, Moses, Morris, Eli and Esther, all of whom grew to mature years, and all married and reared families. There were several other children who died young. The mother of these children died January 26, 1835, and Mr. Evans again married, his second wife being Mary Jenkins, by whom he had the following children: Jesse, Mary L., Robert, Elizabeth and one that died young.
Moses Evans was born January 17, 1826, on his father’s farm in Monroe township, Miami county, Ohio. His early education was only a limited one, but sufficient for all the practical purposes of a farmer’s life. When about twenty-one years old he married, on February 25, 1847, Elizabeth Pearson, who was a daughter of Noah and Florentine Pearson. Noah Pearson was an excellent man and a good farmer of Miami county. His children were Simeon, William, Elizabeth, Mary and Henrietta. Mr. Pearson was also a Quaker in religion and lived to the age of seventy years. After their marriage Moses Evans and wife settled in Monroe township, within four miles of Tippecanoe, on his father’s farm, of which his father gave him eighty acres. In 1865 he sold it and moved to his present farm of eighty acres, which he has much improved. His wife died October 13, 1856, a woman of excellent character and many virtues. December 31, 1857, Mr. Evans married Ruth Russell, who died April 24, 1859, leaving no children. On May 3, 1865, Mr. Evans married Delilah Fanner, a widow, whose maiden mane was Yount. She was born in Montgomery county, July 21, 1833, and was a daughter of Solomon and Eve (Fouts) Yount.
Solomon Yount was a son of John and Mary Yount, the former of whom was a pioneer of Montgomery county and of German descent. He came with his family from North Carolina with the old Friends or Quakers, and settled in Butler township. His children were Frederick, Henry, Rebecca, Delilah and Solomon. Solomon Yount was born July 22, 1797, in North Carolina, and came with his parents to Ohio in 1802. He married Eve Yount, a widow, nee Fouts, who was a daughter of Michael and Elizabeth (Sinks) Fouts. Solomon Yount settled on the land where now lives Isaac Macy, which land he cleared and then removed to another farm in Butler township, this latter farm containing 170 acres, and upon which he became a substantial farmer. His children by Eve Yount were Enos, Frederick, Mary, Roanna, Elizabeth and Delilah. He had previously been married to Joanna Insco, and by her had one child, Insco Yount.
In religion Mr. Yount was a Quaker or Friend, and in politics was first a whig and then a republican. He died April 10, 1870, a man of most excellent character and of strict integrity.
Mr. Evans is a member of the Christian church, as also his wife. He served in the one hundred days’ service as a member of company E. One Hundred and Forty-seventh Ohio volunteer infantry, and was stationed at Fort Marcy, W. Va. Mr. Evans is an honored citizen, and has held the offices of supervisor and member of school board. By his first wife, he had four children who are now living: Hester M.; Nancy J.; Noah D. and Harriet. Mrs. Evans was married first to Allen Fanner, a farmer of Miami county, and by him had three children, Webster, Callie and Arnold, Allen Fanner died at the age of twenty-seven years.
THE ARNOLD FAMILY. [pages 1300-1304] –Samuel, Joseph, Elizabeth, Henry H. and Abigail Arnold were born near Harrisonburg, Rockingham county, Va., and with their parents, Daniel and Catherine (Harshbarger) Arnold, emigrated to Ohio in the year 1830.
Samuel Arnold, a worthy citizen and pioneer settler of Wayne township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born June 24, 1817, and was thirteen years of age when brought to Ohio by his parents. He received a common-school education and became an energetic and successful farmer, managing the farm and raising the crops while his brothers worked in the saw-mill. At twenty-two years of age he married Miss Hannah Wolf, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Ullery) Wolf. Samuel Arnold, after marriage, settled on a farm of 110 acres on Little Bear creek, Montgomery county. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold are Jacob W., Abigail and Samuel A., all of whom are married and living on homes of their own in Montgomery county. Hannah (Wolf) Arnold was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, March 23, 1821, and died May 10, 1873. Samuel Arnold then, on March 3, 1878, married Mrs. Lizzie Stoneroad, who died in March, 1879. He then, in April, 1884, married Mrs. Polly Warner, with whom he is living a retired life near Brookville, Ohio. Samuel Arnold is of the Old German Baptist faith, and has held the office of deacon for many years.
Rev. Joseph Arnold, a devout minister of the Old German Baptist church, was born October 27, 1818, and was twelve years of age when brought to Wayne township, Montgomery county. He received a good education and was reared on his father’s farm. Being a natural mechanic, and particularly apt with carpenter’s tools, he was able to erect all his own buildings, besides planning and aiding others in the construction of theirs. May 19, 1840, he married in Clarke county, Ohio, Miss Elizabeth Frantz, who was born in Botetourt county, Va., January 30, 1821, a daughter of Michael and Elizabeth (Crist) Frantz.
Michael Frantz, father of Mrs. Arnold, was a native of Virginia, a grandson of Peter Frantz and a son of David and Elizabeth (Garst) Frantz; David was a farmer, and died in middle life, the father of the following children: Michael, David, Abraham, Samuel, Christian, Jacob, Joseph, Annie, Elizabeth, Lydia and Susannah, all born in Botetourt county. After the death of her husband Mrs. Frantz came to Ohio and settled in Logan county, where she passed the remainder of her life, and in the year 1840,at seventy years of age, died in the faith of the Old German church. Michael Frantz, father of Mrs. Arnold, was born September, 1791, and married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Margarette (Hoh) Crist, of Augusta county, Va., but who became residents of Botetourt county. Jacob and Margarette (Hoh) Crist reared a family of four daughters and one son, viz: Betsey, Barbara, Catherine, Jacob and Susan. Jacob Crist, the father of this family, died in Virginia, in 1805, age about forty years; his widow, Margarette (Hoh) Crist, came to Ohio in 1826, and died in Clarke county in May, 1840, aged seventy-two years and five months. The children of Michael and Elizabeth (Crist) Frantz were David, Elizabeth and Catherine. Elizabeth (Crist) Frantz, the mother of Mrs. Arnold, died in Clarke county, Ohio, May 31, 1823, aged thirty years, seven moths and seven days. The father next married Susannah Neher, and to this union were born John, Susannah, Lydia, Michael, Samuel and Annie. The mother of these children also died, and the father next married a widow, Catherine (Ohmart) Crist, who bore him one child, Aaron. Michael Frantz came to Ohio in 1823 and settled on 160 acres of land in Pike township, Clarke county, cleared up a good farm from the forest, and died on his homestead in February, 1860, aged sixty-eight years and five months. He was a member of the Old German Baptist church, and recognized as one of the most responsible and useful citizens of his township.
After marriage, Joseph Arnold settled on his present homestead, which consists of seventy-six acres in Wayne township, Montgomery county, in a fine state of cultivation, and improved with a modern and commodious dwelling. Mr. Arnold also owns a fine farm of 126 acres in Miami county. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold have no children of their own, but have reared three with the kindest of parental care and affection, viz: Catherine Neher, who died at the age of twenty-two years; John and Melissa Baird, both now married and settled in life. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold are members of the Old German Baptist church. Mr. Arnold has been a minister since 1856, has extended his labors in the cause of the church over at least twelve states of the Union, and has been in attendance at each annual conference since 1870.
Elizabeth Arnold was born November 29, 1821, was nine years of age when brought to Wayne township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was here married to Daniel Funderburg in 1840, and settled on a farm of eighty acres in Miami county. Ohio, where Mr. Funderburg died in March, 1860. Mrs. Elizabeth (Arnold) Funderburg married George W. Studebaker in February, 1863, and they are now living a retired life in Fredonia, Wilson county, Kans. Both are devout, active members of the German Baptist church, Mr. Studebaker being a minister and elder.
Henry H. Arnold, one of the old-time farmers and mechanics of Wayne township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born January 11, 1827, and was but four years of age when brought to Ohio; he was reared to farming among the pioneers, received the usual common-school education, and was also taught the use of tools, for which he had a natural aptitude, but he and his brother Joseph both worked in a saw-mill when young, and both learned to do millwright work. His maternal grandfather, Henry Harshbarger, who settled in Wayne township in 1830, at the same time with the Arnold family, bought the farm on which Henry H. now lives; this farm was then mostly in forest; game, such as deer and wild turkey, was plentiful. In the winter of 1830-31, he built a saw-mill on the farm on Dry Run, it being the first mill in Wayne township. He sold the farm in 1831 to his son-in-law, Daniel Arnold. This mill was run almost continuously until 1875, and here the two brothers worked for thirty-five years, both becoming expert saw-millers. At nearly the age of twenty-one years Henry H. Arnold was united in marriage, September 12, 1847, in Clarke county, Ohio, with Magdalena Crist, born in that county, August 5, 1825, daughter of Jacob and Magdalena (Frantz) Crist.
Jacob Crist, the father of Mrs. Arnold, was born January 11, 1801, in Augusta county, Va., and was married to Magdalena Frantz, of Botetourt county, Va., in 1822, emigrated to Ohio by wagons in 1823, settled on eighty acres of land in Pike township, Clarke county, and cleared up a farm. Magdalena (Frantz) Crist, who bore to him two sons and one daughter, viz: Joel, Jacob and Magdalena, died in Clarke county, Ohio, August 5, 1825, at about twenty-five years of age, and is buried in th Meyers cemetery, Clark county, Ohio. She was a daughter of Peter, Jr., and Peggie (Garst) Frantz. Peter Frantz, Jr., was a large landholder of Virginia, and he and his family were members of the Old German Baptist church, Mr. Franz being a minister and elder for many years. He died in Botetourt county, Va., in 1852, aged eighty-seven years. Jacob Crist was next married to Catherine Ohmart, in Clarke county, Ohio, in 1826, and in 1828 moved to Logan county, Ohio, bought 160 acres, and cut the first tree from the land, which was all in the forest. Here he hewed out a well-improved farm, on which they lived thirteen years, then returned to Clarke county in 1840, and cleared up another farm of 160 acres in Pike township, built a large frame dwelling and made a comfortable home. Catherine (Ohmart) Crist bore him nine children, viz: Polly, John, Adam, Christopher, Barbara, Margarette, Samuel, Catherine and Aaron. All his children excepting two reached mature age and were married. Jacob Crist died in Clarke county, Ohio, in January, 1849, aged forty-eight years, and is buried in the Meyers cemetery. He was an earnest Christian and a faithful member of the Old German Baptist, for many years holding the office of a minister and elder.
Henry H. Arnold, after marriage, settled on his present place of 144 acres, a part of the old Arnold homestead, which he bought of his father in 1861, and here there have been born to him nine children, viz: Elizabeth, Daniel (who died at the age of ten years), Silas J., Henry C., Emma A., and four who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold have been members of the Old German Baptist church for more than fifty years, and two of their children are likewise members. Aided by his faithful wife and children, Mr. Arnold has greatly improved the old homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold have met with the prosperity their industry deserves, and their undeviating rectitude has won for them the respect of the community.
Abigail Arnold was born September 4, 1829, and was one year old when brought to Ohio, and died in Wayne township, Montgomery county, March 20, 1840.
Samuel Arnold, the great-grandfather of this family, came to America from Germany, arriving at Philadelphia when it was quite a small town, and, with his wife, settled in Frederick county, Md. He was the father of Daniel, Zachariah, David, Samuel, Betsey and Mollie. The father and sons were all farmers and of the Old German Baptist faith. Daniel, David, and Samuel were ministers and elders of their church, and Zachariah was a deacon. Zachariah Arnold, son of Samuel and grandfather of our subjects, was born in Frederick county, Md., December 5, 1766, and married Abigail Miller, who was born in Germany January 8, 1776; they moved to Hampshire county, W. Va., and settled on a large farm near Romney, where they reared a family of eight sons and two daughters, viz: John, Daniel, Joseph, Peter, Samuel, David, Benjamin, Zachariah, Betsey and Peggy. The family were members of the Old German Baptist church, Joseph and Benjamin being ministers and Zachariah and Daniel deacons. The sons all owned large farms in West Virginia, with the exception of Daniel, who emigrated to Ohio; all were married and reared large families, except Peter, who remained unmarried and died in 1875, aged about eighty years. Zachariah Arnold, father of this family, died June 5, 1829, age sixty-two years and one month. His wife, Abigail (Miller) Arnold, died October 24, 1856, aged eighty years, nine months and sixteen days; both are buried on the old Arnold homestead in West Virginia, which is now in the possession of the third generation.
Daniel Arnold, son of Zachariah, and father of our subjects, was born in Hampshire county, W. Va., June 30, 1792, and September 3, 1816, was married to Catherine Harshbarger, of Rockingham county, Va., who was born in that county, January 17, 1795, and was the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Rhinehart) Harshbarger. To Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Arnold were born three sons and two daughters, whose names open this record. Daniel Arnold, after his marriage, bought 200 acres of land in Rockingham county, Va., and there followed the pursuit of agriculture until 1830, when he and his family, his father-in-law, Henry Harshbarger, and part of his family, and Jacob Snell and family, a party of sixteen persons, emigrated to Ohio in wagons. This colony arrived in Wayne township, Montgomery county, in September, 1830; of this number only five are living at this date, March, 1897; they are the three sons and one daughter of Daniel Arnold above mentioned, and John Snell, of Miami county, all between the ages of seventy and eighty years.
Upon his arrival, Daniel Arnold rented land in Wayne township, on which he passed the first winter, and Henry Harshbarger bought the farm of 160 acres, which he sold a year later to his son-in-law, Daniel Arnold, who then moved on the farm. By hard work, as was usual as well as necessary in that early day, assisted by his sons, he converted the wilderness into a comfortable home, where he passed the reminder of his days. On December 3, 1845, he bought fifty acres adjoining the south side of his farm; about the same time he sold seventy-six acres to his son Joseph, where he still lives. Daniel Arnold died at the home of his son Henry H., July 11, 1864, aged seventy-two years and eleven days, from injuries received by an accidental fall from a wagon. Catherine (Harshbarger) Arnold died December 6, 1852, aged fifty-seven years, ten months and nineteen days. Both are buried in the family graveyard on the old Arnold homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Arnold were members of the Old German Baptist church, and were greatly respected for their general usefulness as citizens, and for the reason that they did as much as any pioneers of the township to redeem it from the forest and advance its civilization. Henry Harshbarger, the maternal grandfather of our subjects, was born in Virginia February 28, 1774, and was married to Elizabeth Rhinehart, who was born in Virginia March 18, 1775. They owned and lived on a farm near Dayton, Rockingham county, Va., where they reared a family of two sons and five daughters, viz: Catherine (the mother of our subject), Magdalene, Elizabeth, Barbara, John, Henry, Jr., and Anna, all of whom came to Ohio, except John, who remained in Virginia. Mr. Harshbarger, after leaving Wayne township, bought and occupied a farm in Bethel township, Miami county. Here his wife died, April 2, 1833, aged fifty-eight years and fifteen days, being the first person buried in the Hickory Grove cemetery. Mr. Harshbarger then married a widow Ullery, and returned to Montgomery county, where he died at his home on Little Bear creek, June 3, 1847, aged seventy-three years, three months and three days, and is buried in Bright’s cemetery in the vicinity.
THE MARTINDALE FAMILY [pages 1304-1305] is one of the oldest, most substantial and respected in the county of Montgomery, Ohio, and is noted for its intelligence, thrift, industry and sturdy traits of character, as well as for its prominence in the social and material progress of the county. The founders of the family in America were three brothers, who came from England in the colonial days, and settled near Philadelphia, Pa., and a son of one of these, Maj. James A. Martindale (or Martindill, as the name was originally spelled), was a patriot of the war of the Revolution, and was a great-great-grandfather of Walter L. Martindale, the lawyer of Harrisburg, Ohio.
Maj. James A. Martindale was born in South Carolina in 1754. His father was of Irish and his mother, nee Alexander, of Scotch parentage, and both came to America with their parents about the year 1735. James A. Martindale enlisted in 1780, served as a private one year, as lieutenant two years, and eventually attained the rank of major, and in 1832 was granted a pension, having rendered valuable service at King’s Mountain, N. C., siege of Ninety-six, S. C., Cowpens and elsewhere. After the war he moved to Greenbrier county, now in West Virginia, where several of his children were born, and in 1811 came to Ohio and settled in Gallia county. He was three times married—first to a Miss Bishop, and of the children born to this union the names of Samuel, Thomas and Mattie are remembered; after the death of his first wife he again married, and after the death of his second wife he married a third, being then over ninety years of age. He came to Montgomery county from Gallipolis some time after his son Samuel had settled here, and it is remembered that at one time the major, his son Samuel, his grandson Jesse, and his great-grandson Makinney—four generations—cradled wheat together on the farm of Samuel, near Troy. The major lived to reach the age of ninety-six years, and his remains lie interred in the soil of the Buckeye state.
Samuel Martindale, son of Maj. James A. Martindale and great-grandfather of Walter L. Martindale, was born in South Carolina and was twice married. After the death of his first wife he married Elizabeth Campbell, of Scotch descent, and to this second union were born Rebecca, John, Hester, Lydia, Rachel, Martha and Samuel. The father, Samuel, was a farmer and in 1803 came to Ohio, bought forty acres of land near Waynesville, Warren county, on which he resided until 1807, when he came to Montgomery county and settled on 160 acres on the north line of Butler township, prospered greatly, acquired several farms and became a citizen of great influence and prominence. He was an old-line whig in politics and he and his wife were members of the Christian church. He was really the founder of the Martindale family in Montgomery county, as is father, Maj. James A., was an aged man when he came here. He also lived to a great age, being over eighty years of age when he died an honored pioneer.
John Martindale, eldest son of Samuel and grandfather of Walter L., was born in South Carolina in 1798 and was brought when a child to Montgomery county, Ohio, by his father. He here grew to manhood on his father’’s farm among the pioneers, and first married Miss Mary Sidney, a native of North Carolina, who had come to Ohio in company with two sisters, making the trip on horseback, after the death of their parents. To this marriage was born one son, Jesse, and after the death of the mother, Mr. Martindale married Miss Amy Campbell, daughter of Robert and Amelia (Henderson) Campbell. This lady was born in Pennsylvania and her parents were of Scotch-Irish extraction. This second union was blessed with ten children, viz: Elizabeth, Robert, Mary, Samuel, Rachel, John, William, Stewart, Martin and Rebecca. John Martindale, after marriage, first located in Fidelity, Miami county, where he worked at the trade of blacksmith (which he had learned when a young man) until 1821, when he settled on a farm of eighty acres on the north line of Butler township, Montgomery county. This farm he cleared up in great part from the woods, made a success of farm life, and added to his possessions until he owned 520 acres, situated in Montgomery and Miami counties, Ohio, and in Indiana, thus becoming one of the most substantial citizens of Butler township. He was a man of sterling qualities, and was a deacon in the Christian church, and in politics was a whig. His death took place in 1859, at the age of sixty-one years, and his loss was deeply felt throughout the entire community. Of his sons, Samuel served three years in the Civil war as captain in the Thirty-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry; Stewart was an orderly sergeant in the Sixty-third Ohio infantry; Robert served in the One Hundred and Forty-seventh for 100 days and was promoted to be sergeant, and John served as private in the same regiment for the same length of time. Of Samuel Martindale, the fourth child born to John and Amelia (Campbell) Martindale, full mention will be made in the biography of Walter L. Martindale, of Butler township.
SAMUEL F. NORTH, [pages 1305-1307] one of the veteran soldiers of the late Civil war, springs from Scotch ancestors on his father’s side, and on his mother’s side from German ancestry. His grandfather came from Scotland, and his father, David North, served as a soldier when he was eighteen years old, in the war of 1812. David North married Susan Fair a daughter of Michael Fair, in Dayton. She was born in Taneytown, Md., of German ancestry. Mr. North was a saddler by trade and lived in Dayton until he moved to Vandalia, where he died in 1849, at the age of fifty-three years, a member of the Lutheran church. Mrs. North, who still lives at the age of eighty years, is a member of the United Brethren church. The children of Mr. and Mrs. North were George W., Martha J., David V., John V., Samuel F., Michael J., Thomas J., Rebecca and Emma. Four of these sons served in the late Civil war, viz: George W., Thomas J., Samuel F. and Michael J. George W. was in an Ohio regiment; Thomas J. was in the Seventy-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, marched with Sherman to the sea and participated in many battles, and Michael J. was in company G. Second Illinois volunteer cavalry. David V., when a young man, went to Memphis, Tenn., where he followed his trade, that of molder; he went with Gen. Walker on his ill-fated expedition to Nicaraugua and there perished with many others.
Samuel F. North was born April 2, 1840, near Harrisburg, Ohio. He received a common-school education, learned early in life what hard work meant, and was but nine years old when his father died. Becoming a farmer, he went to Mason county, Ill., in the spring of 1861, and then enlisted at Havana in July following, being enrolled on the 23d of that month, in company C., Second Illinois volunteer cavalry, to serve three years or during the war. He was honorably discharged from the service January 3, 1864, at Memphis, Tenn., in order to re-enlist as a veteran to serve again for three years or during the war. He was honorably mustered out the second time at San Antonio, Tex., January 2, 1866, by reason of the close of the war. He was promoted to sergeant of his company, and held that office when finally discharged. He was in the battle of Holly Springs, Miss., and on the Obion river, Tenn., on the Tallahatchie, and in many skirmishes. He was in a raid with Col. Sperling from the Florida coast to Gravel Hill station on the Mobile & Columbia railroad, and on the Blakely & Claiborne when a fight occurred. He marched on through to Vicksburg and up the Red river country to Shreveport and then to San Antonio, Tex., being on the march from March 20, 1865, to August 18, 1865. Mr. North was a faithful and efficient soldier throughout the war.
The great conflict having come to a close, Mr. North returned to Montgomery county, and on March 7, 1867, at Vandalia, married Cynthia A. Collins, who was born in 1847, and is a daughter of William and Nancy (Roberts) Collins. Mr. Collins was of Irish descent, but was born in Highland county, Ohio, and was a blacksmith by trade. He married Nancy Roberts, of New Antioch, Clinton county, Ohio, by whom he had two children, who lived to mature years: Henry and Cynthia A. Mr. Collins settled in Auglaize county, at Saint Mary’s, where he ran a blacksmith shop and also managed a farm of eighty acres. He died January 1, 1860, a member of the Christian church. His widow lived on the farm until November 17, 1895, when she died at the age of eighty-two years, two months and seventeen days. She was a member of the church and a woman of excellent traits of character and attractive disposition.
Mr. North settled in Auglaize county, and there lived until within a few years, when he sold his farm and removed to Montgomery county, buying his present farm in Butler township in 1891. His children are Jennie and Nannie. Mrs. North is a member of the Christian church and the children are members of the Brethren church. Mr. North is a republican in politics, and is a member of Milton Weaver post, G. A. R. His daughter Jennie married Sherman S. Sunderland, and Nannie married Allen T. Routson, and has one son, Nevin S.
George North, the grandfather of Samuel F. North, came from England with Lord Baltimore. He was for many years a justice of the peace in Maryland, and died in Cumberland county, that state. His children were John, George, David, Michael, Samuel, Polly, Betsey, Nanny, Susan and Sallie. Mr. North was a member of the Lutheran church.
David North, father of Samuel F., was born March 17, 1796, in Cumberland county, Md., and received a limited common-school education. While he was a farmer, he also carried on the saddler’s trade at Hagerstown, Md., and, having married in Maryland, removed to Ohio, settling in Montgomery county. By his first wife he had no children. After her death, which occurred a few years after marriage, he married Betsey Harvey, in Montgomery county, Ohio, and by her he had two children, George and Martha J. This wife also died a few years after her marriage, and Mr. North then married Susan Fair, who was born March 10, 1816, in Frederick county, Md., and was a daughter of Michael and Sarah (Krouse) Fair. Michael Fair was a native of Maryland, his parents having removed thither from North Carolina. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. He married in Maryland, and had the following children: Volusha, Mary, Elizabeth, Susan, Rebecca, Samuel and Sarah. Mr. Fair came to Montgomery county in 1834, settled in Dayton, and worked at his trade of shoemaker. He died in Chambersburg at the age of sixty-nine. He was a member of the Reformed church.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page