Agricultural Wealth of Montgomery County
(page 50) Agricultural statistics gathered from the latest reports of assessors for the year 1916 and '17, and published by the State Department of Agriculture, prove that the townships of Montgomery county are not "slackers" in the art of grain production. In the raising of the two great staples, wheat and corn, Montgomery county in the year 1917 had a wheat acreage of 33,470 acres, an increase of 4,019 acres over the sowing of 1916. Her corn crop for the same period covered 48,036 acres, only 73 more acres planted than the previous year. Oats fell short by 3,487 acres. There were 12,489,025 (page 51) pounds of tobacco produced in the year 1916, which placed the county second in line with the greatest tobacco producing district of Ohio, Darke county beating Montgomery's record by 539,798 pounds for the same year. In the year 1917, there were planted 1,471 acres of rye, and 11,022 acres of oats. Her hay acreage for 1916 was 17,355 acres ; clover, 19,405 acres, which produced 13,714 tons of clover hay and 4,193 bushels of seed. The alfalfa yield for the year 1916 was only 5,598 tons of hay; not meeting the timothy product by 20,702 tons.
The "truck patch" report shows that in 1916 there were 153 acres planted in tomatoes which yielded 12,689 bushels; Irish potatoes dug from 1,204 acres filled 45,292 bushel measures, while 48 acres of onions yielded 1,482 bushels. The home dairies of the year produced 848,961 pounds of butter, against 30,950 of factory and creamery make. The hens of Montgomery county in the year 1916 were not ambitious to "beat the record," as they only have credit for 861,462 dozens, being surpassed by several counties in the southwestern part of the state.
Other sections of Ohio excelled this region in the raising of small fruits, Montgomery county standing sixteenth in the list of twenty counties which constitute the southwestern part of Ohio, although the county made a good showing in the production of pears. Of land owned in the county in the year 1916, the total acreage was 163,094, of which 125,870 acres were cultivated. In April, 1917, the farmers of Montgomery county owned 16,567 horses, 578 beef cattle, 10,159 milk cows, and 6,232 other cattle; the same month gives a showing of 32,938 hogs and 2,644 sheep for the different townships. The statistics show 257 farms rented to tenants, and 121 farm laborers for wages.
The State-City Free Labor Exchange in the city of Dayton has a reputation for efficiency, second to none in the United States. Organized under the management of the Industrial Commission of Ohio, it was one of the bureaus of the seven headquarters in the state. The city of Dayton knew its efficacy as early as the spring of the year 1900 when, as in other cities, its chief usefulness lay in finding employment for laborers only. But, fortunately for all concerned, the exchange came under the personal supervision of Mr. E. A. Meade, who soon saw that the ramifications of the work could be broadened out into other channels of assistance, and he forthwith proceeded to formulate his ideas.
A plan was devised by Mr. Meade for keeping a list of places calling for help in official and professional work, and he also recognized the fact that the environment of the bureau must be that in which no professional man or skilled laborer would hesitate to enter in the search for employment. So more commodious and handsomer offices were obtained, and so thorough is their equipment that they are regarded as being at the head of all other similar institutions in the United States. Indeed, other exchanges have taken their equipment and method of conducting this important welfare business as models for imitation ; in Washington City they are used in connection with a school, where men and women are taught the importance of conducting a free labor bureau along lines of the best advantage (page 52) to both employee and employer. The Dayton office is not managed on an independent basis, but works under the supervision of the Industrial Commission of Ohio, whose headquarters are established in the city of Columbus.
Mr. W. A. Holbrook is in charge of the Dayton Bureau, and since his incumbency, amply proves his fitness in every way for the responsible position. Not only is he thoroughly equipped by previous experience in this line of work, but he looks ahead and anticipates every need and requirement, especially covering everything that tends to the enlarging of the field. He is especially urgent that employers in every department of labor, whether professional or manual, file their applications when desiring assistance, so that there may be no delay in finding among those who have applied for employment someone that will "fill the bill" in every particular. This requirement of Mr. Holbrook makes the relations easier from the start for both the employer and the employee. It is particularly satisfactory in clerical work, as can be readily seen. This bureau is established in the roomy building located at the corer of Third and Perry streets, occupying the second and third floors. In the offices on the second floor are found Mr. Holbrook's assistants who look after all women desiring employment. Over this service Miss Olive Silverthorn is general manager, and she is ably assisted by Mrs. Bessie Evans and Miss Olive McMellon, who, respectively, have charge of women desiring employment as household-helpers and other women seeking work in factories.
The third floor is given up to offices devoted to men applicants for work. These offices represent five different branches of work, and each branch is under the personal watchfulness of a man who, by experience, is thoroughly acquainted with the wants of an employer and can quickly size up the qualifications of the man seeking a "job." Mr. L. E. Nysewander daily looks after the farm department ; the department caring for unskilled labor is in charge of Mr. George Burrerr ; the builder's department, which takes in different branches of activity, such as plumbers, steam fitters, carpenters, everything necessary to proper construction, is in the hands of Mr. Ernest j. Keller, h e Mr. A. W. Holbrook looks after all mechanics desiring work.
Especially helpful has the Free-Labor Exchange been to soldiers and sailors desiring employment. It is estimated that fully one hundred per cent of the brave boys looking for work have been supplied with jobs by the Dayton bureau. A room is especially devoted to their applications. While Mr. E. A. Meade, formerly superintendent of the bureau, is at the head of this department, Superintendent W. A. Holbrook and his office assistants personally look after the application of every sailor and soldier, and rejoices in the fact that he seldom fails in finding congenial employment for each and every applicant that has worn the khaki or navy blue. The War Department has signified its great appreciation of the work done for returned soldiers and sailors by the Free-Labor Bureau of the city of Dayton, and is also authority for the statement that, in the emplacement of sailors and soldiers, all cities whose population runs from one hundred thousand to two hundred thousand are led (page 53) by the county-seat of Montgomery county. It is but due to Miss Naomi Chapman, that her work as private secretary to Superintendent Holbrook is worthy of special commendation.
Red Cross Work in Montgomery County
It was in the month of February, 1917, that an appeal from the National Board of the Red Cross at Washington, D. C., came to the women of Montgomery county, asking for an immediate organization of a chapter in this section of the Miami valley. The German atrocities in Belgium and France had long aroused the sympathy of the women of America for the suffering women and children in those devasted countries, and the plea for organized help brought speedy response. There were many different channels through which help and succor were reaching the distressed people across the sea, but none were more splendidly organized or more efficiently managed than the Red Cross society, and the women of Montgomery county were not slow to respond to the urgency of the appeal. The call was made public, and on the second day of March the Jennie McMahon McCrea branch of the Needlework Guild raised $300 for the purchasing of materials and began the humane work of making surgical dressings for the American Red Cross organization, and so diligent were the fingers of the members of the guild, that in the short space of two months, there were shipped 9,705 articles to Rush Terminal.
In the meantime, Miss Eleanor Hamilton of the nursing staff of the Miami Valley hospital had not been idle, and under her directorate one hundred women pledged their membership as Red Cross helpers in the proposed formation of the desired chapter, and a complete organization meeting was held April 18, 1917, in the rooms of the Greater Dayton association, of which Mr. F. J. Ach was temporary chairman. It was the desire of the association to make Mr. John H. Patterson permanent chairman of the chapter, but upon his expressed inability to accept the responsible position, Rabbi David Lefkovitz, of the Dayton Jewish temple, was made permanent chairman. And in no better, more capable, hands could the important duties of the place have been placed. With a heart full to overflowing with love, to humanity, wise in judgment, seeing always the bright side when, perchance, a little discouragement or apprehension crept in among the workers, sparing neither time nor strength in forwarding the work, the success of the Montgomery county Chapter of the Red Cross is largely due to its devoted chairman. At this organization meeting Mrs. Valentine Winters was appointed chairman of the Membership committee, and it was decided not to confine membership to the residents of the city of Dayton, but to include all of Montgomery county, making village and township societies units of the chapter. The "drive" for membership that was immediately made for Red Cross members, resulted in the obtaining of twenty thousand members. Temporary headquarters were at once established on East Third street, in a store room in the Elks building, but on May 12, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Kidder, with characteristic generosity, offered to the chapter the Daytonia (page 54) hotel, located on East Second street, between Ludlow and Main, which was gratefully accepted by the organization, and has been the headquarters of the chapter up to the present time. It is eminently fitting that those who were the organizers and promoters of the Red Cross philanthropy during those terrible months of attempted German domination of the political life of the more democratic countries of Europe, should be preserved-in a history of the work of the order. It has been officered by men and women who are at the head of the religious, business and social life of the city. As stated above, Rabbi David Lefkovitz is still permanent chairman of the society. The vice-chairmen are : Mr. Harry B. Canby, president Crawford-McGregor-Canby company ; and Mr. J. W. Downer, manager Dayton Supply company ; secretary, Mrs. W. H. Delscamp, wife of a prominent physician; treasurer, Mr. Chas. W. Slagle, president Merchants' National bank; Mrs. George Goodhue was also vice-chairman, holding the same important office in the Needlework Guild of the city. The Executive Board comprised Rabbi David Lefkovitz, Mr. Lee Warren James, attorney ; Mr. J. C. Haswell, president Malleable Iron Works ; Mrs. George Goodhue ; Mrs. W. H. Delscamp ; Mr. Chas. W. Slagle ; Mrs. W. H. Sunderland ; Mr. J. W. Downer ; Mrs. Chas. Craighead, wife of leading attorney ; Dr. C. Fred Young, president Davies Soap company ; Mr. Harry B. Canby. The committee in charge of the Woman's Work, were Mrs. George Goodhue, Mrs. Chas. Craighead, Mrs. Henry Loy, Mrs. E. C. James, Mrs. Earl Forrer, Misses Bessie Warman and Virginia Blakeney. On the Purchasing committee were Mesdames D. W. Allaman, Walter Kidder, Henry Loy, A. H. Reeder, Earl Forrer and Miss Margaret Burns. The responsibilities of the House committee were in charge of Mesdames A. H. Reeder, Walter Kidder, D. W. Allaman, Ernest Rauh, Misses Katherine Wright and Margaret Burns. Mr. J. W. Downer is at present chairman of the committee. The financial part of the work is managed by Dr. F. Dale Barker, Judge R. N. Routzahn, and Messrs. Walter Kidder, Chas. W. Slagle, Jas. W. Downer, H. E. Talbott, E. E. Burkhardt, and H. B. Canby. The Publicity department was in the hands of Messrs. Sidney C. Eusworm, Howard Marston, Bert Klopfer, S. E. Kiser and Mr. McDonald.
The committee on Membership deserves special' commendation, as under its unceasing labor, the chapter grew to 26,000, bringing in membership dues to the amount of $35,635.73, to which was later added $2,940.20. The busy workers in this important field were Mrs. Valentine Winters, and Messrs. E. E. Burkhardt and C. F. Young.
Those in charge of Hospital Supplies were Mesdames George Goodhue, Julia Carnell, Chas. Craighead, H. H. Waite, H. E. Talbott, Ed. Rauh, Henry Loy, Geo. H. Shaw, S. H. Carr, A. B. Brown, A. H. Reeder, D. W. Allaman, Walter Kidder, and Misses Margaret Burns, Susana Huffman and Katherine Kennedy. The committee superintending Red Cross instruction was composed of Doctors A. H. Dunham, A. B. Brower, L. H. Cox, Mesdames L. W. James, W. H. Delscamp, Walter Phelps, Ernst Rauh, A. B. Brower; (page 55) Misses Eleanor Hamilton, L. Cithone, Crete Zorn, E. Holt, and Mr. Walter Phelps. The committee on Supplies for Fighting Men included Messrs. W. D. Chamberlain, John Aull, John F. McMillan, John McGee, E. E. Burkhardt, J. M. Guild, Stanley Krohn, R. T. Johnson, Henry A. Stout, Chas. A. Carpenter, Doctors E. E. Baber, H. H. Hatcher, E. R. Arn, the Reverend Geo. Bunton, and Judges B. F. McCann and W. A. Budroe. Those in charge of the Civilian Relief work, in the year 1917, were Doctors F. Dale Barker, F. C. Rounds ; Messrs. J. C. Haswell, John Patterson, Frank Wuichet, H. B. Canby, Chas. W. Slagle, F. J. Ach, Houston Lowe, George Burba; Reverends Bernard O'Reilly, and F. N. Lynch; Mrs. H. E. Gorman, Mrs. Valentine Winters, Misses Elizabeth Doren, Minnie Conover, and Katherine Wright. The present committee on Civilian Relief is made up of the following persons: Messrs. J. C. Haswell, F. J. McCormack, Bert Klopfer, Louis Ruthenberg, John Shee, Frank Wuichet, C. D. Hoffman, Nelson Talbott, Rowland McKee, Rabbi David Lefkovitz, the Reverend W. T. Mabon, Col. R. L. Hubler, Doctors B. D. Thresher, Webster Smith, Mesdames Geo. Shaw Greene, E. O. Waymire, H. B. Canby, Morris Pereles, W. D. Huber, S. S. Troop, Frank Canby, T. A. McCann, and Miss Anna Chapman. As in all chapters of the Red Cross organization, the knitting brigade of the Montgomery chapter was on valiant duty both by day and by night. The. click of knitting needles was heard in all places and at all times. In church, in street cars, on the trains, at concerts, at every kind of social functions the gray and khaki colored yarns were fashioned into sweaters, helmets, wristlets, every conceivable garment that it was possible to shape came forth from the steel and wooden needles for the comfort of the "boys" so dear to every true American woman's heart. Yarn to the amount of 8,658 pounds was given out by the committee of the Knitting Department of the Montgomery Red Cross chapter; of this material were completed up to May 1; 1919, 18,949 articles.
Those in charge of this most important work were Miss Bessie Forman, Miss Virginia Blakeney, in charge of inspection ; Mrs. Earl Forrer, in charge of shipping, and Mrs. Craighead.
The educational branch of Red Cross work was, perchance, the most important of all its subdivisions, as it pertained entirely to the relieving of all physical ills. Instruction in this department was given gratuitously by leading surgeons and physicians of the county, and also by nurses belonging to the staff of city hospitals. In Home Nursing, ten classes finished the course, eighty-six women received diplomas, and two classes are now under instruction. In First Aid education there were five classes, seventy-six women were given diplomas, and at present two classes are acquiring this most valuable knowledge. There was one class in Dietetics, and diplomas were handed to twenty-four women. Seven classes were taught. the art of making surgical dressings, and one hundred and thirty-six women received diplomas of efficiency. Their skill and proficiency was attested by 39,984 pads ; 43,465 bandages ; 138,868 gauze strips ; 161,959 compresses ; 4,696 gauze bandages and rolls : 359,364 sponges and wipes ; 410 heel rings ; 22,310 line packets ; 450 pneumonia jackets. Miscellaneous articles made and contributed (page 56) by the chapter comprised 1,001 Christmas kits; 21,933 hospital garments ; Hospital supplies, 34,551; Shot bags, 10,439; Property bags, 1,072; Refugee garments, 17,786.
Right here may be told the efficiency of the chapter in its benevolent work during the three visitations of the dread influenza to the city of Dayton. Its wide-awake realization to the needs of the thousands of sufferers, from the many times fatal disease, was evinced in calling for a registry of women who would go as nurses to the many homes needing them ; the women were registered regardless of whether or not they had been under scientific training in the gentle art of caring for the sick. Urgency compelled. Forty women registered. If the family requiring assistance was not f inancially able to meet the expense of a nurse, it was liquidated by the chapter, and $529.52 was paid by the chapter in this Christian kindness. That the need for help was great, is fully attested by the fact that one nurse, during the winter, had 513 cases in her care. One of the most useful and comforting departments of Red Cross work, was its Bureau of Communication, through which residents in America were enabled to send letters to friends and relatives in the belligerent countries, and receive from them intelligence concerning their welfare. In the month of July, 1918, Mrs. Mathes, the present devoted and untiring secretary of the Red Cross chapter in Montgomery county, received governmental authority to. handle correspondence with the Central Powers for people residing in Montgomery county, and up to June 1, 1919, three hundred letters were written and sent by her to persons living in Germany, Turkey, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, Russia, and other countries with which Government interdiction had been laid as to epistolary communication. Mrs. Mathes also enjoyed the happiness of receiving over three hundred letters from foreign lands and delivering them to anxious friends and relatives in Montgomery county. This Bureau was abolished July, 1919.
There were several calls from Red Cross headquarters for old clothing. In the quota for the first drive, thirty tons were asked of the Dayton chapter; eighty tons were collected. In the month of March, 1919, Dayton chapter was given a quota of fifteen tons ; it went "over the top" to the merry tune of seventy-two tons. The first drive was in charge of Mr. C. Fred Young; 'Mr. J. Elliott Peirce acting as chairman in the drive of March, 1919. Every avenue possible for adding funds to the treasury of the Dayton chapter was embraced by its indefatigable workers, and in May, 1917, a Red Cross shop was opened at headquarters, where bric-a-brac, old clothing, etc., were offered for sale. Appreciating the humane object for which the shop was opened, buyers were numerous and purses freely opened. The venture paid in every sense of the word. Up to its time of closing, January 13, 1919, the receipts amounted to $8,467.03, of which amount $2,578.39 were expended in needed channels, which included equipment of twelve nurses at Wright Field, and $100.00 sent to the making of a "Merry Christmas" for children in France. The closing of the war naturally lessened Red Cross activities over seas, but the Dayton chapter is finding much necessary work near at hand, and most splendidly (page 57) and sympathetically is it meeting its benevolent calls. In its Home Service work, of which Mr. J. C. Haswell is chairman, and Mrs. Gertrude McCluer is secretary, there are ten workers employed and f ive volunteers enrolled. The establishment of a canteen for the comfort and welfare of returned soldiers appealed strongly to the members of the chapter, and on March 28, 1919, at the Pennsylvania railroad station, the work was begun under the efficient management of Miss Cora Adamson and Miss Huffman, assisted by volunteer workers. The report of June 10, which includes the time from the establishment of the canteen on March 28, shows a kindly service to 4,190 returned "boys" at a cost of $1,049.54. The work of the Dayton chapter in this line has been so ably done, that its continuation is desired by the National Headquarters of the Red Cross at Washington, D. C.
The Junior Red Cross is recognized as the American Red Cross of the future. This department of the great philanthropic work of the American Red Cross was organized in the month of September, 1917, to fill the demand of thousands of school children who desired to be factors in the humane activities of the war. Their young hearts beat in sympathy with the suffering children of Belgium and France, who were dying from hunger and exposure by thousands, and a large per cent of their membership dues and contributions will be turned into the National fund for needy, impoverished children abroad.
Those superintending the work of the junior Red Cross branch of the Dayton chapter are: Mr. J. Elliott Peirce, chairman ; Mr. James W. Dorner, vice-chairman ; Mrs. W. W. Sunderland, secretary; Mr. Chas. W. Slagle, treasurer; Mr. Frank Miller, superintendent Dayton public schools ; and Mr. A. A. Maysilles, superintendent Montgomery county schools. The young people of Dayton have done large things for the noble cause of the Red Cross. Their busy fingers have contributed hundreds of exquisitely made garments for the childish refugees of northern France and Belgium. Also the sick and wounded soldiers in foreign hospitals were made recipients by them of 50 pairs of bed socks, 328 pairs of drawers, 300 property bags, and 150 handkerchiefs. Hundreds upon hundreds of magazines were collected through their efforts for the hospitals at two local fields. Boys in the manual training department made 200 splints, 200 bedside tables, 25 tableware chests, 25 folding bread boards, and 25 plain bread boards.
To the juniors is due the major credit for the amazing quantity of clothing turned at the close of the Old Clothing drives in September, 1918, and March, 1919. The last drive especially called forth their interest and exertion. Tremendous bundles of wearing apparel weighed down the young arms as they were carried to the supply depots. The report of the chapter shows that "one school of 1,105 pupils marched with carts and baby buggies heavily loaded, and each child in the entire parade carried no less than ten pounds of clothing." When a call came from higher authority for 30,000 pieces of linen for overseas hospitals, 9,000 pieces were collected by the juniors of Dayton chapter. It may be inserted here, as a matter of just credit to the Dayton chapter, that in the March drive for (page 58)old clothing, that Dayton's collection surpassed that of any other city in the Lake Division, which includes the three states, Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. The largest amount collected elsewhere was 25,000 pounds; Dayton led with 144,000 pounds, thanks to the Juniors of the Chapter.
In support of the relief work among children over seas, the peace .program formulated for the junior Red Cross, contemplates the raising of $1,000,000 by January 1, 1920; half of this fund was to be available for use by July 1, 1919. In the Dayton treasury, as result of the Christmas Roll Call drive was $2,940.25 standing to the credit of the Juniors; of this amount, $1,438.93 was handed over by July 1, 1919, to the National Children's Fund.
The knowledge that the women of Dayton were enlisting heart and soul in the magnificent activities of Red Cross work, enthused the women of the various townships with a desire to assist, not only in caring for the noble lads who, under the Stars and Stripes were carrying spiritual, moral, and physical aid to distressed Belgium and France, but were helping to feed and clothe the thousands of impoverished, destitute women and children of those devastated countries. The Dayton Chapter of the Red Cross was set in operation as an organization in the month of April, 1917, and on the fourteenth day of the ensuing August nine auxiliary township branches were formed, viz : Centerville, Farmersville, Brookville, Vandalia, Germantown, West Carrollton, Trotwood, Miamisburg, New Lebanon, and Johnsville. The Jefferson township branch was not organized until the month of April, 1918.
The work accomplished by these patriotic, devoted workers was marvelous in quantity, and was done outside of the many home duties that were necessary to be discharged for the comfort and well-being of each household represented by every individual member of the organization. The sweeping, dusting, churning, milking, mending, baking, cooking, dish-washing, the thousand and one things that custom and tradition have relegated to women's domain could not be omitted ; every article made meant closer economy of time, surrender of hours generally set aside for relaxation or person al pleas re The favorite mgazine remained unopened and uncut, while busy fingers clicked the long steel or wooden needles as they wove helmets, socks, sweaters, scarfs and wristers out of the homely gray or khaki colored yarn for "the soldiers" to wear as defense against the damp and cold of the trenches ; day after day, scissors seemed to move almost automatically as they shaved dresses, aprons, underwear and garments of every description, which untiring hands at humming sewing-machines hastened to make ready for the needy, heart-crushed women and children "over seas." Friendly, neighborhood gossip gave way to interest in the great common good represented by the Red Cross work. It can be truthfully said that never has America drawn so near to a true understanding of the lesson of Love taught by the Cross of Calvary, as it has during the recent World War. For it was truly a World Conflict. A contest not bound by territorial limitations. World happiness, World-freedom, World-liberty, in the true sense of the word, were at stake, and it brought out and developed a World (page 59) sympathy, a World-self-denial, a World-sacrifice almost sublime in its greatness and intensity. Many were the organizations for help and succor in all directions that sent their representatives to the countries afflicted and desolated by the cruel rapacity of the horde of Huns, but in eager desire to alleviate pain and suffering, to comfort and relieve, to encourage and strengthen, none surpassed in devotion the men and women whose sole insignia was a Red Cross.
Each township branch of the Dayton Chapter of the Red Cross was strictly on duty until July, 1919, when the great demand for supplies to the army ceased, as the boys were being rapidly brought home to America. But it is but just to the workers and their work, that a public record should be kept of their efficient officers and the work done by each unit. As has been stated, the organization of every township branch took place in August, 1917, with one exception, that of Jefferson township, which was not effected until eight months later, and was under the official management of Mr. F. Whittier, president ; Mr. J. E. Mittman, vice-president ; Mr. S. J. Olwise, secretary; Miss Blanche Christy, treasurer. One hundred and fifty-nine sewed and knitted articles stand for the work accomplished by this unit. The presidential obligations of the Vandalia branch devolved upon Mr. A. L. Reeder, ably assisted by Mr. Ralph Demmitt as secretary and Mrs. Almira Rankin, treasurer. Completed articles to the number of 364 were the result of the labor of this band of earnest women. Under the capable leadership of the Reverend B. J. Robers, pastor of the Catholic church of Miamisburg, the Red Cross society of that thriving center of industry, delivered at Dayton headquarters 1,812 articles for the physical comfort of the strangers without the gates-not within. The Reverend Robers had the efficient help, in his never faltering zeal, of Mr. Edward Peiffer as treasurer and Miss Florence Bell, secretary. The Brookville branch worked under the very capable official management of Mr. C. L. McNelly, president ; Mr. A. L. Boice, secretary ; and Mr. O. M. Carmony, treasurer. The department of Women's Work was in charge of Mrs. Samuel Spitler. To the Brookville unit must be awarded the banner for patriotic enthusiasm, as it not only has a list of 2,398 garments to its credit, but on September 9, 1918, it endowed two beds in the Red Cross Military Hospital, No. 1, at Neuilly, near Paris.
The Red Cross branch at Centerville has an almost parallel list of devoted achievement. Not large in numbers, no band of workers in Montgomery county labored more assiduously, more unwearyingly, than the women of Centerville, and the unit may well be proud of a memorandum of 2,403 sewed and knitted garments kept in the Red Cross archives of Dayton headquarters. Its official roster gives the names of the Reverend R. C. Moon, Mrs. Della Pine Himes, Mrs. Lane Salter, and Mr. W. S. Griest, as respectively president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.
The Red Cross branch at Germantown elected as governing body, Mr. True Houser, president; Mrs. True Houser, secretary ; and Mr. Edward Rettick, treasurer. Its generous contribution of labor is recorded as 1,680 articles of wearing apparel. The Red (page 60) Cross unit at Trotwood worked under Mr. M. W. Mumma, president; Miss Katherine Weybright, secretary; and Mr. A. W. Gump, treasurer. 912 knitted and sewed articles was the donation of labor of the Trotwood branch. West Carrollton women were busy workers under the administration of Mr. C. W. Plessinger, president; Miss Anna VanDorne, secretary, and Mr. J. B. Willis, treasurer. This unit was thankfully credited with 366 contributions at Dayton headquarters.
The women of New Lebanon and Johnsville united in their patriotic efforts for humanity, and their busy hands fashioned 556 sewed and knitted garments. The officers of the organization were : Mr. F. J. Weaver, president; Mr. C. E. Wehrly, treasurer; and Mr. E. H. Hoffman, secretary. Last, but not least by far, on the list of Red Cross organizations in the townships of Montgomery county, is the Farmersville unit, which did splendid work under the official guidance of Mr. Charles C. Fabing, president, and his wife, who held the responsible places of both secretary and treasurer. To Mrs. C. W. Holtzmuller fell the onerous duties of chairman of the Women's Work, and rest was an unknown term to her when facing Red Cross duties. This branch sent in to the shipping point, 1,437 products of their sewing and knitting. The total number of sewed and knitted garments made and contributed by the united work of the Montgomery townships amounted to 9,684, a handsome showing.
The men of the various townships, though they left the needles, both sewing and knitting, to gentle hands more accustomed to their use, were by no means indifferent to the great, humane cause. Most generously were their pocket-books opened to supply the financial demands necessarily and almost constantly made upon them for funds requisite to carry on the splendid work. And the Red Cross activities in the townships of Montgomery county, is one of the brightest pages in the War Work of the great Miami valley.
Return to "Memoirs of the Miami Valley - Volume Two" Home Page