Annual Report of the City of Dayton For the Year 1917
Published by the City Commission
To the Citizens of Dayton—
We are glad to present to you, this, the fourth annual report of the City Commission since the establishment of the City Manager form of government in Dayton. The report is a graphic outline of the year’s activities of 1917. We have again pursued the same policy of confining this report to the mere statement of facts and figures. The year just closed has been a trying one, because of the abnormal conditions due to the war. We present this report to the people to let all know what is going on in local governmental affairs. It is for the information and guidance of each citizen, and we sincerely trust that it will be read with interest and that its contents will arouse each individual to a better understanding of his government and what is being striven for. Every one owes it to himself to be informed about home condition in order that he may act intelligently on any situation that concerns the advancement and welfare of the community in which he lives. It is in this spirit that this report is published and its distribution ordered.
G. W. SHROYER, Mayor,
J. R. FLOTRON,
A. I. MENDENHALL,
J. M. SWITZER,
H. A. HIDDESEN
To the Honorable Commission—
I am presenting to you a statement of the results of municipal work for the year just closed—1917. It is utterly impossible to embody in a pamphlet the full reports as presented to me by the various departmental directors, to-with: Finance, Service, Safety, Welfare and Law.
The policy of operating the government upon a business basis has been adhered to as in the past. No partisan or selfish influences have directed us in our course. The fact that we are operating under a Commission-Manager form of government, with the City Commission elected upon a non-partisan ballot, and being free to use our abilities toward gaining effective results without being bound down by matters politic, have enabled us to achieve against great odds the results herein outlined.
I call your especial attention to the conditions which have existed within the past year, quite abnormal in their character, all due to the war. We were fighting great odds due to the turmoil across the seas, but when the conflagration engulfed us in April and the war was declared by our national government, we immediately noticed even worse effects upon the labor and material markets. This presented to us financial problems overwhelming in their very nature. We have tried to be careful in the expenditures of our funds, but unfortunately found ourselves, at the end of the first year, with a deficit, where in the past three years we succeeded in closing our books with a good surplus. This is unfortunate when it is considered that in municipal financing there is no opportunity to increase revenues from taxation, or from other sources, to meet a condition like that which we faced and which was felt by every private business enterprise in the country.
With it all, however, I feel that good results have been obtained and that, if it had not been for the scheme of government which Dayton was operating under, the tax payers of the City would have had their government overwhelmingly in debt with very few results obtaining. The demands of Dayton are still on the increase and with the large war contracts which have been placed with our local factories, greater burdens have been added to our cost of operation, but which, as loyal and patriotic people, we are bound to meet, no matter what the cost.
H. M. WAITE, City Manager.
CIVIL SERVICE BOARD
PHYSICAL STANDARD—Prior to the year 1917 it was customary, where a physical examination was required, to send the applicants to the offices of the various District Physicians for which examination the applicant paid a fee of $2.00. It was suggested by this Board to the City Manager that the compensation of the District Physicians be increased to $100.00 per year and that applicants should not be required to pay a physical examining fee. The necessary appropriation being made the District Physicians, together with the Commissioner of Health, were formed as a Physical Examining Board and a higher standard of physical requirement was adopted which will tend for the betterment of the service.
MANY EXAMINATIONS HELD—During the year the Board, as Employment Agency of the City conducted fifty-two (52) primary examinations, six (6) promotional and two (2) examinations for transfer. There were 458 applicants for positions, of whom 30 failed to report. Of the number taking the examinations 273 passed, or an average of 61.4%, and 155 failed, an average of 38.6%. In addition to the above they conducted eight (8) probationary examinations in the police and fire services with a total of 66 applicants. The positions to be filled covered practically every phase of city government with some newer created positions, particularly Chief Electrical Inspector and Forester. Of the number who passed 150 were permanent appointments and 60 were appointed to temporary or summer positions; of the number appointed to summer positions eleven (11) were in the employ of the Playground and Garden Association, but the appointments were made from eligible registers established by this Board.
INDUSTRIAL CONDITIONS—Local industrial conditions materially decreased the number of applicants, but as the Board properly refused to lower its standard it is felt that the efficiency of employees in the city service is on par with that of any industrial concern.
RECOMMENDATIONS—In its report for the year 1917 the Board recommended to the City Commission the advisability of collective buying for the city employees, as they felt that this might result in a considerable saving to the individual. This is not a new departure in city administration, the City of New York being a notable example.
CITY SERVICE A TRAINING SCHOOL—In its report for the year 1917 particular mention is made of the large number of city employees who have been offered, an din many instances accepted, positions of responsibility and trust with local business concerns, thus creating the reasonable impression that city employees are now generally recognized as being at least on a par with employees of any industrial concern.
FINANCIAL—The appropriation for the Board for 1917 was $5,200. Of this amount $587.50 was transferred to the general fund and at the close of the year there was an unexpected balance of $60.17, making the total outlay $4,552.33. A comparison of these figures with the reports of other similar organizations throughout the country demonstrates that the cost of operation is unusually low.
OFFICE OF THE CITY MANAGER
THE SEAT OF TROUBLES—The office of the City Manager is the clearing house for all municipal businesses and the place to which all the citizens of Dayton appeal in having their trouble abjudicated. When citizen is unable to get his ashes, rubbish or garbage removed, he telephones the City Manager. When his alley or street is dirty, he calls the City Manager. When a policeman does not do his duty, the City Manager is appealed to. If a city employee does not pay his debts, the City Manager is asked to see that he does so. The same principle applies to all departments within the city government.
There is not a thing doing with any department, division, or bureau, without it is first cleared and approved through the City Manager’s office. This means that all policies must first be taken up and discussed and then approved by the City Manager’s before inaugurated. It means that all payrolls, vouchers, and every bit of detail connected with the operation of the city government must first be cleared through the Manager’s office. In a nut-shell, the Manager’s office is a bee-hive of industry, is vital in our civic life, and is a potent agency for ill or good in the general operation of the municipal wheels of industry.
COAL SHORTAGE-One of the vital and exacting problems presented to the City Manager for solution in 1917 was the shortage of coal for domestic use. When the first cold days of October came upon the city, thousands of people appealed to the City Manager for coal with which to keep themselves warm. The City of Dayton was not in the coal business, therefore it had no coal with which to offer relief. The local coal yards were minus a supply [photograph of Relieving the Coal Shortage] of black diamonds. The underlying causes for this aggravating situation are well known and need no reiteration here. The City Manager immediately succeeded in obtaining a supply of coal through the Governor of Ohio, which was sold in ton lots through the City Purchasing Department. When this supply was exhausted the situation became even more acute. As the winter progressed, the weather became colder, railroads were tied up, no coal was moving, and there was a practical famine within the City. The City Manager succeeded in obtaining the first supply by appealing to the local railroads and in this way sold to the public five cars of coal as a temporary expedient. In the mean time the City Commission sent the City Manager to Washington and to the Virginia coal fields in the hope of obtaining a supply to relieve the local situation. As investigations proved, the whole situation was due to the lack of transportation facilities, this being aggravated by the unusual demand upon the railroad because of war movements. No coal was to be had. The final solution was arrived at through the local dealers adopting the suggestion of the City Manager in forming a local clearing house and local dealers pooling their supply. At the end of the year the clearing house was getting into operation and it appeared as if this would be the real solution of the coal famine in Dayton.
CIVIC CENTER PLAN FILED-During the spring the Civic Planning Board, appointed by the City Commission in 1914, finished their work. The plans which this Board prepared for a Civic Center were filed with the City Manger. He in turn placed the same before the City Commission. This committee accomplished wonderful results. The plans which they have prepared will be kept in a vault until the proper time arrives for going before people for a bond issue with which to erect a new City Hall and other municipal buildings that will fit in this Civic Center scheme.
WRIGHT FIELD SECURED-Early in February the City Manger succeeded in obtaining a lease for ten years, with the right to purchase at the end of that time, of what is knows as the Wright Field property, owned and controlled by the Messrs. C. F. Kettering and E. A. Deeds. The field was immediately turned into an athletic center for civic sports. Base-ball diamonds were laid out for amateur base-ball players and a portion of the field east released to the Central League Base-ball team, where the professional games are played. This field promises to be a means of developing the youth along athletic lines, at the same time affording the populace entertainment and an opportunity of [photograph of Ordering Coal At City Hall] seeing the amateur base-ball teams at play. It is centrally locating and during the first season was regularly used by the sport-loving public.
CIVIC MUSIC LEAGUE-Continued municipal support of the Civic Music League was exercised. Conditions due to the war affected the patronage to some degree, and at one time it was necessary for those fostering this organization to put their shoulders to the wheel and sell tickets in order to bring up the patronage that was required to make the League self-sustaining.
THE WORLD’S WAR-While the City indirectly has felt the effects of the World’s War, the direct effects were not experienced actually until the United States entered the conflict in April. The Government immediately established flying fields within close proximity of Dayton and the rapidity with which they performed their labors in transforming farm land into thriving hives of industry depleted the local labor market to such an extent that it was almost impossible to secure the men necessary to keep the public work going. Even some of the contractors on city jobs were drafted by the Government and municipal work had to be sacrificed. Men were at a premium and this immediately raised the wage scale in the labor market. In order to keep things going the City was compelled to meet the conditions somewhat and this added to the growing costs of municipal work. Materials took a bound in price and this, with the increased wage scale, put the municipality on its metal in trying to finance its work. Men in the ash, rubbish and garbage removal and street cleaning departments quit daily, leaving the City at times with no men to man their trucks. With it all, however, the City continued its collections, although badly crippled. It was the worse year ever experienced by the municipality in trying to carry on public operations.
IMPROVEMENT BONDS EXHAUSTED-The million dollar bond issue voted by the people in 1915 was practically consumed by the end of the year. There was remaining only unfinished portions of work and the few jobs to be let and which were to be finished during the construction season of the following year. This thought brings to mind that if the City is to further constructive operations and to generally progress, it will be necessary in the near future to submit to the voters another construction program. Toward the end of the year the various departments were asked to compile a list of needed improvements being demanded by the people and also imperatively needed because of general conditions, and submit them early in 1918 to the City Manager for consideration. It is barely possible that such a bond issue is to be presented at t eh annual election in 1918. The Commission, however, has adopted the policy that no public improvements are to be made during the present war other than what are necessary to protect life, limb and property, and to afford general progress of the municipality in meeting living conditions. This means that all work is to be curtailed to the end that the energies of the municipality may be devoted to carrying on and winning the war, the City making sacrifices along with the individual citizens in this respect.
THE BUDGET—As has been stated in the previous annual reports, probably the most important function exercised by the City Manager, and which is more vital to the people than anything else, is the planning of the annual appropriations budget. The budget of 1917, as adopted by the City Manager, called for total appropriations of $1,452,478.34. At the time this budget was made, and basing anticipated needs upon the then prevailing market conditions, this budget would have seen the municipality through the year upon a cash basis. When the United States declared war in April, prices for materials and labor went up with an unprecedented bound. Seeing what would likely occur, the City Manager in May began a reconstruction of the budget as already enacted, with the intention of cutting the appropriations to the bone. During that month he cut the appropriations $30,033.92. Prices, however, continued to soar and it was found necessary that, if the City was to end the year without being in debt, to again resort to the slashing method. In November the City Manger again directed his efforts to this end and cut the budget an additional $59,989.59. On the other hand, it was found necessary to make restorations in the sum of $4,506.97. In the two sittings, the City Manger made a gross cut in the appropriations of $90,023.51., which , with the restorations deducted, gave a net cut of $85,516.54, making the budget at the end of the year call for $1,366,961.80. When the Manager had concluded this process he found that he was, however, near the dead line, and was compelled to stop such operations if the City were to continue to give any activities whatsoever. In the mean time prices were unstable and in the majority of instances continued to rise, the result being that at the end of 1917 the City found itself, for the first time since the Commission-Manager form of government had been instituted in Dayton, having liabilities on its books, where, heretofore, it had had a net cash surplus. The year was ended with a cash balance of $19,508.90 with liabilities outsanding [sic] of $100,692.54, or a net deficit on the books of $81,241.64. This was all due to the war and the situation which it brought about. It is the same experience that all manufacturing and private business concerns had since the world conflagration. However, there is this one difference between the city and the private business, in that the latter is in position to raise prices for its commodities, where the municipality, bound down by a 1% tax law, could not increase revenues, despite the fact that its cost of operation was increasing by leaps and bounds.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE
DIVISION OF ENGINEERING
GOOD PROGRESS MADE—Despite the fact that abnormal conditions governed the material and labor market, activities during the year showed a marked increase over the previous year. Twenty-four streets were improved by paving or grading and graveling and two alleys containing 141,214.5 square yards or a total of 6.86 miles. This includes the repaving of some of the most important streets in the central part of the city.
SEWER MAINTENANCE-The Bureau of Sewer Cleaning was very busy during the year. Approximately 540,000 lineal feet of storm and sanitary sewers were cleaned, as well as 4,658 catch basins and inlets. There was removed from the grit chambers 1,492 cubic yards of gravel. This Bureau [photo of Island Park Dam] received 1,900 complaints during the year and made repairs to 800 catch basins and inlets. The Bureau located and inspected 2,720 sewer connections and handled 1,101 loads of night soil.
STREET LIGHTING-A great many new lights were installed throughout the City during the year. A new departure was taken into the City buying from the Dayton Gas Co. all the gas posts which they own and maintain, in addition to the ones which the City already owned. These had to be equipped with new up-to-date burners and mantles. This improvement greatly increased the efficiency of the lights. During the year there were installed 9 arcs, 105 incandescent, 26 gas lamps.
STREET NAMING-For quite a long time, plans have been made for putting up signs on all street intersections, giving the names of the streets. This is especially imperative now since the renaming of a good many thoroughfares a year or so ago. During the year, 541 sets of street names were purchased and installed on gas lamps at street intersections, as the initial beginning on this improvement.
SEWAGE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION—Approximately 11 studies and plans were made for sewers in various parts of the City. A portion of the Dry Hollow Creek structure was completed at a cost of over $100,000. In the completion of the Eaker Street Sewer, a very serious drainage condition has been relieved, this being one of the most important improvements during the year in this respect. Storm sewers were constructed in all streets repaved in the central portion of the City. This greatly increases drainage facilities. During the year, 116 miles of sanitary sewers were constructed.
CANAL IMPROVED—The old steel bridges over the canal at Second, Third and First Streets having served their usefulness, presented a problem for the City authorities to handle. It was deemed advisable to do away with all these bridges and authority to do so was secured from the State. They were torn away and three reinforced concrete culverts were constructed over the Miami and Erie Canal, replacing the old bridge structures. These improvements provide for a widened roadway over these thoroughfares, the culverts as installed being as wide as the streets. Such improvements will greatly facilitate traffic conditions for the future.
BRIDGE IMPROVEMENTS—After many delays, the Island Park Dam, construction on which was started the previous year, was completed in September. Work on the levee improvement adjacent was also carried to a satisfactory conclusion, this work being paid for by the Miami Conservancy District. Work on the Fifth Street, Webster Street and Keowee Street bridges progressed very slowly, owing to labor conditions. The Webster Street Bridge was completed [photo of The New Webster Street Bridge] and the Keowee Street Bridge was about ready to be turned over to the City at the end of the year. Financial difficulties experienced by the Hackedorn Contracting Co., having the job of building the Fifth Street Bridge, threw this concern into the hands of a receiver and a new problem is now presented to the City authorities for adjustment in order to get this structure completed. Repairs and new floors were laid on the Williams Street Bridge over Wolf Creek, Findlay Street Bridge over Mad River, Findlay Street Bridge over the Hydraulic and the Athletic Park Bridge over Stillwater.
DIVISION OF LANDS AND BUILDINGS
PUBLIC COMFORT STATION—After many years of agitation, the City completed, during the year, in the Market House, with entrances from Main Street, a Public Comfort Station. The record of the number of calls proves conclusively that the necessity for this Station was far from being overestimated.
MARKET RECEIPTS—An additional square of free market space added to the already extensive area, was filled with farm produce during the season. Receipts from rental of stands on curb market, $11,006.00; House market, $16,172.13; total receipts, $27,178.13
MOTOR VEHICLES—This bureau maintained and repaired 95 pieces of motor apparatus during the year. Practical running tests were made on various brands of lubricating oil and distillation tests were made on various brands of gasoline offered in the local market. Showers and toilets were installed at the City Garage.
DIVISION OF STREETS
GARBAGE COLLECTION—At a cost of $26,679.39 or approximately $1.68 per ton, there was collected during the year 15,933 tons of garbage. The cost per ton is slightly increased over the year previous due to abnormal labor conditions.
GARBAGE REDUCTION—It cost $35,311.59 to operate the plant during the year, while $47,553.22 was realized from the sale of by-products, showing a profit on the part of the plant of $12,241.63. The garbage received during the year was greatly inferior in quality to that received during the year previous. [photograph of Women’s Comfort Station] This is due to the conservation methods pursued by the Government since the declaration of war. These facts demonstrate that the housewife of Dayton is starving the garbage can. This naturally reduces the quantity of grease the plant can turn out. Considerable attention was given and much work was done at the plant to reduce to a minimum the obnoxious odors complained of. The character of tankage was also better developed and this product formerly selling at $2.75 per ton brought $14.03 per ton before the year was over. In order to secure and retain good labor, six four-room houses were built adjacent to the plant.
ASH AND RUBBISH REMOVAL—Two week collection of ashes and rubbish was maintained throughout the year with the exception of December, when the heavy snows and severe weather made it impossible for the teams to get
into the alleys. A total of 86,120 cubic yards of ashes and rubbish were collected at a cost of $19,041.71 or 33.7c per cubic yard.
STREET CLEANING—Maintaining white wings in the business districts on street cleaning, same was done at a cost of .157c per great square (1,000 yards), which also includes the cost of removing the waste. Eighty-five thousand seven hundred sixty-two great squares were covered in this manner. Outside of this district, there was cleaned by horse-drawn sweepers, at a cost of 29 1/4c per great square, a total of 41,730 great squares. During the winter, 10, 931 cubic yards of snow were removed, at a cost of .218c per cubic yard. Streets covered by the Flushing Ordinance were flushed on an average of thirty times during the season, at a cost of 23c per great square.
STREET REPAIR—Asphalt repairs were made at a cost of 80c per square yard, with the work covering 22,723 square yards. Brick was laid in small patches, at a cost of $1.24 per square yards, 3,729 square yards being taken care of. Six thousand six hundred twenty-eight cubic yards of gravel were placed on the graveled streets, at a cost of $1.03 per cubic yard. There was also removed from the graveled streets, at a cost of 78c. per cubic yard, 2,109 cubic yards of dirt. During the year 1,968 service cuts were made for sewer connections from mains to property lines.
DOG POND—Three thousand four hundred ten complaints were investigated and 2,571 dogs were taken to the pond at a cost of $1,140.20. Seventy-six dogs were redeemed by their owner and $210.10 was received for the board of the dogs.
DIVISION OF WATER
GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS—In order to flatten the peak loads at the Main Pumping Station and enable the pumps to maintain an average pressure throughout the day and at the same time maintaining a sufficient reserve to supply any unusual demand, the contract was let and work started on the construction of a ten-million gallon reservoir in the southeastern part of the City. New water mains to connect the reservoir were also installed. Quite a number of small changes were made at the main pumping station to facilitate the handling of the general work here.
RECEIPTS—Receipts for the year were $294,745.44. These revenues are sufficient to meet the operating expenses plus interest and sinking fund requirements on the plant.
REVENUE COLLECTION-The new method of collecting over-due bills installed the year previous, has proven very satisfactory. About 90% of the people who received delinquent notices received them more than once during the year, proving that the same people are always slow with their accounts. A total of 7,359 overdue notices were sent out. Five hundred five shut-offs were made and 166 meters removed.
WATER SERVICES- There are now installed in the City of Dayton 35,835 water services, an additional 1,637 having been installed during the year. There are 29,225 meter services, 1,229 new meters having been installed during the year. The number of meters repaired amounted to 7,938 while 8,671 meters were changed and 80 services and 25 main line leaks were repaired.
OUTSIDE CONSTRUCTION—At the close of the year it was found that there were 236.49 miles of mains in use within the City. During the year, 32,573.5 feet of new pipe were laid and 1,380 feet of pipe were removed and replaced with larger mains to increase the efficiency of the service. Sixty-six new fire hydrants were installed, bringing the total up to date to 2,148.
PUMPING COST—Despite the fact that the coal used at the Pumping Station was an exceedingly poor grade in comparison with the quality used heretofore, the Station used only 1 pound of coal to pump 367 gallons of water. During the year, 5,050,037,188 gallons of water were pumped, using a total of 7,068.54 tons of coal.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
OFFICE OF DIRECTOR
WEEKLY STAFF MEETINGS—Weekly staff meetings were held with the Chief and District Chiefs of the Fire Department, also frequent meetings with the Chief and Sergeant of the Police Department. Departmental problems were disposed of in these meetings. During the Dayton Street Railway strike, both sides held meetings in the Director’s Office with satisfactory conclusions in each case.
CO-OPERATION WITH FEDERAL AUTHORITIES—Co-operation was extended on the part of the Safety Director’s Office with the Government, especially the military officers in charge of the cantonments, which had to do with the improvement of vice conditions and the proper handing of the soldier boys on furlough in the City. The Department was highly complimented by the Federal authorities for the work done. Great assistance has also [ photograph of Training “Rookies” Policement] given to the Department of Justice in rounding up local evaders from the military draft law. The coal shortage during the winter added great burdens to the Department, calling for added police protection and extra work on the part of the firemen in taking coal orders. The Police Department, under the instruction of the Safety Director, took a coal survey in October, calling on approximately 800 families to determine the amount of coal on hand.
DIVISION OF POLICE
POLICE TRAINING SCHOOL WAS ESTABLISHED—In the early part of the year, a Police Training School was established, sessions being held at the Wayne Avenue Market House Auditorium. Three classes have been graduated which have easily added 50% to the efficiency of the men who took these courses. All new members of the Police Department are required to take this course. They are schooled in practical police work along lines of general observation and studies are given of all local ordinances and State laws. In addition, the men are given instruction in physical training, which has added in developing the men along physical lines. The art of self-defense is taught in order that the new officer might be in position to protect himself in any emergency. This training has given them confidence in coping with any situation. After the men were graduated, the rule was established for the graduates to return to the school for a review of their work, and practice in drilling at least once
each week. It has been noticed that the new men being more keenly alert, have assisted greatly in increasing the revenues of the City on horses, vehicles, peddler and other licenses. The work of this school has been investigated by many large cities throughout the country and the results obtained have brought from the larger cities, many high compliments on the character of the work done.
DECREASING ACCIDENTS—Because of the greatly increasing number of accidents throughout the City, it was deemed advisable during the year to conduct an educational campaign, especially among the school children. A Police Sergeant was detailed to visit each school in the City, give talks to the children, the admonition being along the line of asking the children to place their confidence in their best friends, the policemen. They were also warned against the danger of hooking on wagon and automobiles, crossing streets without first looking for passing vehicles and cars. Great good has come out of this procedure. It is to be continued.
HANDLING STREET TRAFFIC—During the winter months, there was established at the main intersections for the handling of street traffic, enclosed traffic booths to protect the officer from the weather and at the same time, increase the efficiency in handling traffic. These booths were the gift of the [photo of A Traffic Booth] Dayton Metal Products Co., nine of such being made by this concern and given gratis. No matter how cold the weather or how stormy, these booths enable the traffic officers to be at their posts of duty at all times. Such booths are replaced during the Summer and Autumn by semaphores and umbrellas.
Supplementing the practical side of the work, the Traffic Bureau conducted an educational campaign during the early months of the year. Talks were given to all drivers of vehicles, including street car motormen, each section of the Traffic Ordinance being explained. Director of Safety made special
talks to the women drivers at the Victoria Theatre on the same subject. The result of this campaign has been fewer accidents, better and more careful drivers, and a more strict compliance with the entire Traffic Ordinance.
CRIME PREVENTION BUREAU—The City of Dayton took a very forward step in the latter part of the year, in the establishment and inauguration of a Crime Prevention Bureau, Dayton being considered one of the pioneers in this endeavor. The theory is something new, but the little time in which it has been operated, has proven the Crime Prevention Bureau is a very valuable asset to the police work locally. The concrete idea in mind was to take care of the young boys and girls, getting hold of the youth at the proper age, and direct his or her footsteps in the right direction. Special care for their welfare is emphasized while family difficulties are straightened out, as records show that most of the crime committed by children is due to environment in the home. A Police Sergeant was placed in charge of this Bureau. It is his duty to study the causes of crime in all of its branches. He personally interviews all unhardened persons and learns the cause of their downfall. He, at the same time, finds work for the young men who are in the habit of loafing in pool-rooms. Compulsory reporting to him once a week until they become firmly fixed, is one of the features in the Crime Prevention work. This Sergeant also assists in securing employment for men released from the workhouse and those put on probation from Police Court. He also conducts a course of lectures to children in public schools. While the system has been in operation but a short time, it has proven its worth in the results already obtained. Statistics for the last two months of 1917 demonstrate beyond a peradventure of a doubt the need of such a bureau.
Family quarrels have been settled, and parents have been given advice in the handling of wayward boys, all without the participants seeing the inside of a court room. While the Bureau was inaugurated in October, this month was consumed particularly in placing the Bureau on an organized basis. For the months of November and December, the Sergeant in charge investigated 142 complaints, secured employment for thirteen boys, had charge of fourteen on probation, while twenty-three reported to him during the month. Thirty-eight family troubles were adjusted out of court, while the officer visited thirty-eight pool rooms and six saloons, giving thirteen talks in various schools and churches which were heard by over 2,500 people. This Bureau works in close touch and is in co-operation with the Humane Society, Juvenile Court and Associated Charities and Police Women.
GENERAL STATISTICS-In 1917, 4,814 complaints were received. The amount of stolen property reported to the Department was $161,156.61, while the amount recovered totaled $137,031.97. Three hundred seventy-six persons were reported missing during the year and 166 located. The ambulances answered 4,486 calls. One hundred forty-eight automobiles were reported stolen and 144 recovered. Two hundred sixty-five bicycles were stolen, 187 recovered. Four motorcycles were stolen and two recovered.
STATISTICS OF ARRESTS-The main function of Police Department is not to arrest people, but to prevent crime and therefore reduce the number of arrests. Every police arrest made means expense to the tax payer. During the year, there were 6,943 arrests made, 489 being under the age of 21 years, 2,163 between 21 and 30, 1,825 between the ages of 31 and 40, 1,254 between 41 and 50, and 1,212, 51 years and over. Of this total, 6,350 gave their nationality as the United States, 173 were from Hungary, 58 from Germany, 36 from Ireland, 37 from Italy, 45 from Poland, 82 from Russia, 42 from Greece and 120 from other countries. Four thousand five hundred eighty-three were from Dayton, 514 from the Soldiers’ Home, 1,332 from other cities. Two hundred sixty-seven arrests were on charges of felony, 6,376 on misdemeanor, 2,470 on intoxication, 300 taken under suspicion, 127 were from other cities as fugitives, while 60 fugitives were returned to Dayton and 230 were held to the Grand Jury.
DISPOSITION OF ARRESTS—Patrolmen made 3,074 arrests; the auto police, 1,322; detectives, 889; the Vice Squad, 197; Sergeant and Lieutenants, 648, traffic officers, 313; speed officers, 247; special officers, 253. One thousand four hundred eleven were fined. Two thousand three hundred forty-three were committed to the workhouse. Forty-seven were dismissed, 140 were withdrawn, 384 forfeited bail, 19 were held on the open docket, 129 were turned over to the Police Women, 37 were released by the court, 300 were suspended, 5 were sent to the Ladies’ Reformatory, 26 were turned over to the military authorities, while 54 cases were pending at the end of the year.
DIVISION OF FIRE
FIRE DEPARTMENT MOTORIZED—The year 1917 saw the Fire Department completely motorized. All horses and harnesses were turned over to the Division of Streets and some old wagons and equipment were sold.
TWO ENGINE HOUSES COMPLETED—The two new engine houses, one located at Salem and Oxford Avenues, in Dayton View, and the other at Maryland and Chapel Streets, in North Dayton, which were started the year previous, were fully completed and occupied. These buildings, which are of the bungalow type, are not only a credit to the Department, but add property values and enhance the appearance of the localities in which they have been constructed. [photograph of the New North Dayton Fire House]
These structures are commodious and provide the firemen with all modern conveniences of home. There are shower baths, airy and spacious sleeping rooms, while the men have reading rooms in which to while away their time and edify themselves during the time that they are in the houses without urgent duties. The old Dayton View Engine House, located on River Street, was sold for $4200 and the old North Dayton Engine House was disposed of for $2,533.33 or two-thirds of the appraised value.
FIRE LOSSES-Fire losses during the year amounted to $300,623.09, compared with $474,779.92 in 1916 and $213,042.47 in 1915. Value of the property jeopardized was approximately $2,642,036.67. The insurance risk was approx-
imately $1,825,605.00. Insurance companies paid out $253,878.42, leaving a balance not covered by insurance amounting to $46,744.67. Out of 779 fires, the average loss was $385.78 as compared with $587.62 in 1916. Based upon a population of 150,000 the per capita loss was $2.00 against $3.39 the previous year. The biggest fire during the year was at the Auditorium Theatre on East Fourth Street, with a loss of $70,348.00. The American Mechanical Toy Co. fire caused a loss of $48,471.00 and the Dayton D Handle Company’s place was $30,792.00. Six fires of over $10,000 loss, representing a fire waste of $213,805.00, or more than 71% of the total fire loss of the year, occurred. Few of these large fires extended beyond the place of origin. Stable fires contributed to the majority of those that spread to adjacent property.
FIRE ALARMS—During the year, the Division responded to 905 alarms as against 970 in 1916; 779 calls being for fire. There were about 17 unnecessary, unintentional alarms. Mischief-makers sent in 54 false alarms as compared with 67 in 1916. Six boys were reprimanded for sounding false alarms, while one conviction was secured in Municipal Court. February held the highest record, with 111 runs, and June was the Lowest, with 46 calls.
FIRE PREVENTION—The Fire Prevention Bureau consists of three men whose duties it is to endeavor to prevent fires from occurring through systematic house-to-house inspection and education. The Inspectors worked 8,163 hours in making 18,132 inspections and reinspections. They investigated 1,282 complaints and found 12,082 inspection O.K while 6,050 inspections were found defective. The Bureau directed the installation of 9 new furnaces, saw that 860 cellars were cleaned, found 435 gas leaks, 27 water leaks and condemned and had torn down 28 buildings. They reported 37 public highway violations to the Department of Service; 214 violations of the Sanitary Code to the Division of Health, and made five joint inspections with the Building Inspector. They conducted 38 fire drills, reprimanded 5 people, and succeeded in having 3 convictions in the Municipal Court. This Bureau has the close cooperation of the Building Inspection Division. This year they started a new feature by giving special instructions to special officers and watchmen as to their duties. Two hundred forty men attended this school of instruction. Police and Fire methods were explained and particular emphasis laid upon the inspections of fire hydrants, sprinkler systems, fire sprinklers, vital hazards and the reporting of fires and general fire methods.
BUREAU OF POLICE WOMEN
GENERAL DUTIES—This Bureau completed its third annual successful year in this important work. This work is still divided between probation cases and police surveillance of conditions and institutions. The Supervisor and Policewoman gave 21 talks during the year. The Division handled 1,656 cases, while 51 were pending the beginning of the year. A total of 746 new cases were received in 1917. One hundred forty-two old cases were reopened and 717 new probation cases.
POLICE SURVEILANCE—The work of observation on the streets has shown the need of some curfew law to keep the children off the streets at late hours of the night. The Police Women took particular interest in the small newsboys and in regulating their activities. They have the co-operation of the Juvenile Court and the newspapers. This phase of their work diminished the number of direct solicitations done on the streets in comparison with former years.
DANCE HALLS-Dance halls increased in number. There are 17 places in the City which have regular or occasional public dances. Constant supervision and inspection of these places is required; also study and observation of the places are imperative because all differ and vary in their management and character. The work among the dance halls has resulted in making these places very well conducted and this is attributable to a great extent not only to the work of the Police Women, but also to the co-operation in which the management is giving in this respect.
WAR CAMP COMMUNITY SERVICE—A new phase of work has arisen in connection with the welfare work for soldiers. A committee was organized which aimed to have representatives from every organization interested in this work. The Supervisor of the Police Women’s Division was named on this committee as one of the representatives of the City. The object is to observe and endeavor to regulate conditions in places of amusement, visited by soldier boys from the various camps.
Also, the Police Women give particular study to the question of women and girls coming to the City and determine whether such women are here for regulated patriotic service in the local institutions or whether they are here [photograph “At Policewomen’s Girls’ Home”] under cover of such conditions for destructive work among the soldier boys. Several cases among girls and young wives have involved soldier boys who have left Dayton and it was necessary to seek the co-operation of the army and navy in various ways to see that the interest of these girls are protected. This phase of the work promises to be quite important as the munition industries in Dayton are developed as well as a growing census of the Army Camps within our close proximity.
BOARDING HOME FOR GIRLS—The home for girls on Lafayette Street inaugurated and maintained through the assistance of this Division, has proven the greatest assistance in the way of help that could be had. The home during the year sheltered 46 girls coming from various walks of life. Some of these girls were making small wages, some were in need of shelter because of illness and misfortune, others were juveniles who needed chaperonage and protrection. The expenses of this home have been nearly met from board paid by the girls who were working. Board for girls out of work or ill, has been met by special contributions.
DIVISION OF BUILDING INSPECTION
PERMITS ISSUED—This Division issued 11,516 permits for the construction of buildings during the year at a total valuation of $4,204,493.00. This was against 1,447 permits for 1916, with a valuation of $3,699,146.00. The total receipts for building, moving, plumbing and other permits, were $18,183.00 against $9,441.39 in 1916. The total expenditures were $16,968.93 against $10,271.37 in 1916. The net gain in 1917 of receipts over expenditures was $1,214.07.
INSPECTIONS—A total of 21,000 inspections were made during the year, which included inspections of new buildings, old buildings, plumbing, gas, electric, smoke, signs and bill boards.
BUILDING CODE—The new Building Code was put into operation on March 1st. While in the beginning, there was some dissatisfaction and antagonism to the regulations provided for in this Code, the builders soon co-operated with the Division and it is apparent that the Code has resulted in eliminating almost all of the unsafe construction that would have naturally been built without an ordinance of this kind. As the years come on, the advisability of enacting this code will be demonstrated in the character of buildings that have been erected under its provisions.
SMOKE REGULATIONS—During the year, 25 manufacturers installed a total of 47 stokers. Four manufacturers installed 8 steam jets and two fuel agreements were entered into. A total of 114 passenger, freight and yard engines were equipped with stokers or some other type of smoke prevention apparatus. At the present time, there are 10 engines not so equipped. The Pennsylvania Railroad and New York Central Lines have all their engines, and the B. & O. has all of its passenger engines so equipped. The Smoke Inspector, during the year, worked under exceedingly difficult conditions because of the war. These conditions will prevail for some time. Fuel is scarce and war contracts cannot be interfered with. Considering all these conditions, the Smoke Inspector accomplished much, and there is a noticeable diminishment in the amount of excessive smoke that is made in the City.
PLUMBING INSPECTION—An entirely new inspection was inaugurated in this Division during the year—that of inspecting gas fittings. All new plumbing in the City and outside of the City, where connected to the City sewers, has been inspected and tested, including a total of 22,016 fixtures. Ninety-eight plumbing licenses were issued during the year. One thousand three hundred forty-four vaults and cess pools in the City were abandoned during 1917.
ELECTRICAL WORK—This Bureau was started on July 16, 1917 and since that time all new electrical work within the City Limits, except such work as has already been partially inspected by the Ohio Inspection Bureau, was looked over.
GENERAL WORK—Plans have been examined for all new buildings for which permits were issued. All theatres and dry cleaning plants have been inspected during the year and some necessary orders were issued on them. All bill boards were also inspected. A new departure in the inspection of new furnaces was also inaugurated. Much unsatisfactory work in this regard was found. One recommendation made for future consideration is the annual inspection of elevators within the City, and also an annual inspection of all refrigerating plants.
DIVISION OF WEIGHTS AND MEASURES
INSPECTIONS AND CONDEMNATIONS—A total of 2,624 scales were inspected and 85 were condemned. Three hundred scales were ordered repaired and adjusted. Two thousand twenty weights were inspected; 84 condemned. Two thousand four hundred fifty measures were inspected; 185 condemned. One thousand milk bottles were inspected and 50 were condemned. Four oil cans were inspected and 40 condemned. In addition, the Inspector condemned 200 barrels, 530 baskets, 85 crates, and 10 personal scales.
EDUCATIONAL WORK—The Head of this Division, going on the theory that the public needs to be instructed and reminded, gave quite a number of lectures throughout the City and also furthered his work not so much by arrests, as through educational articles in the press as well as personal admonitions to violators. Flagrant violations were taken into court, there being 14 prosecutions for short weights and measures, 104 violators of weight and measure laws being taken before the Chief of Police and the Sergeant Detectives.
WOMEN INSPECTORS—During the year, the City added two volunteer women inspectors to assist the Division, the work being done by Mrs. Serena Hause and Mrs. Etta Morse Espy. This work called for inspections on market days of the four city markets, investigation of such complaints referred to them, and making general observations and reporting to the proper officials of
general market conditions. Not the least important was their work among the housewives along educational lines. These women gave talks to clubs and organizations, distributed literature regarding local ordinances, State regulations, sanitation and pure food.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WELFARE
DIVISON OF PARKS
PARK IMPROVEMENTS—All the smaller parks throughout the City were attended to by having the ground graded, seeded and planted with privet. Tennis courts were built on the Mound Street Playground. A baseball diamond with backstop and bleachers was built at the N.C.R. ground for public use. Fifteen acres additional to that already cleared was prepared for use at Eastwood Park. A new shelter house was elected here, built of lumber secured from trees cut by the Park Forester in opening Richmond Street, the cost being only $70.00. Waldruhe Park, situated eleven miles south of Dayton, was cleaned up with a force of workhouse men. Ten picnic tables were built, two fire places constructed and cement platforms places about the two wells. Wright Field, comprising about thirty-five acres, was added to the park area of the City. Twelve houses had to be removed, foundation walls taken out, curb and sidewalks placed, all the grounds graded up, walk removed; five complete baseball diamonds were laid down and five sets of bleachers, seating about 350 persons, were erected. Four thousand privets were planted about the parking space for automobiles and five tennis courts were constructed on the ground.
FORESTRY-During the year the City hired a City Forester, who cared for and trimmed the trees along the sidewalks throughout the City, to the number of 2,2,43. Four hundred sixty trees were also trimmed in the several parks, and 82 Norway Maples were planted at Wright Field, 18 Norway Maples and 100 Red Buds at McKinley Park, all of these trees being the gift of John C. Cline of the Woodland Cemetery. The City Forester sprayed 965 trees during the year.
BRIDGES BEAUTIFIED—At the new Greenhouse, the City was able to raise sufficient flowers to plant all the bridge boxes of the City as well as to fill beds in the several parks along the boulevards. These plants were worth about $800.
GREENHOUSE—An inventory shows the total number of plants on hand to be 34,337, at a value of $2,230.05. The Greenhouse grew 117 dozen of Chrysanthemums, which were distributed by the Visiting Nurses to the indigent poor of the City. At wholesale prices, these flowers are worth $234.00. The stock necessary to grow these flowers was donated to the City by different florist. There was distributed to the children of the City, with which to plant their gardens, free of charge, 20,000 cabbage plants and 20,000 tomato plants, raised in hot beds at the City Greenhouse.
DIVISION OF RECREATION
COMMUNITY CENTERS—Bomberger Park and Wayne Avenue Gymnasium were operated the year round as community centers. The boys enjoyed 69,459 play days on the playground and the girls 42,627 play days. The showers were used, 24,507 times and at Bomberger Park there was a total attendance of 180,409, averaging 626 each day in a total of 288 days for the year, and at the Wayne Avenue there were 10,683 days’ service rendered individuals in a total of 288 days. Here there were games, entertainments, story telling, etc.
PLAYGROUNDS—Twenty-one playgrounds were operated during the year, twelve of which were financed by the Playground Association and nine by the City. Fourteen of these playgrounds were located on vacant lots donated for the purpose by owners. On the five thoroughly and fully equipped grounds owned by the City, the attendance was nearly double that of the fourteen vacant lot playgrounds. Baseball, volley ball, and various other games were
provided for on these grounds. A total of 117,306 play days for boys and 72,780 play days for girls, or a total of 209,438 play days were enjoyed by the young people. A junior baseball league, with ten teams participating, was conducted and a senior baseball league, with fourteen teams, was also operated, while an additional volley ball league was organized, all with great results. The third annual field day was held at McKinley Park on August 28, five medal badges being given for each event or seventy medals in all. Five hundred [photograph of Flower Boxes on Bridges] [photograph of A Camp in Eastwood Park] children participated. The season was closed on September first with the play festival, being the best ever staged by the Playground Association. Dances at McCabes park on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturadys [sic] brought in total receipts of $130.00, while at Island Park, dancing was conducted every night except Sunday, with receipts totaling $2,363.53. Band concerts were given at McCabes park on alternate Sunday afternoons, 1,975 persons attending the five concerts. At Island Park, thirteen concerts, with a total attendance of 21,230 people were given.
GENERAL ACTIVITIES—All garden activities were transferred to the Division of Recreation during the year, Playground and Garden Association turning over to the City $2,500, while any additional deficit up to $2,000 was provided for by a public-spirited philanthropist. The Board of Education agreed to assume responsibility for the school gardens. This extra work, together with the nine camps located in Hills and Dales, turned over to the City by Mr. Patterson, together with the various camps at Island Park, Eastwood
Park and McCabes Park, gave the Division of Recreation an extraordinary and added responsibility. One vacant lot for each family was plowed free of charge. Two thousand one hundred fifty-nine vacant lots were so plowed against 947 in 1916. The total acreage was 234 acres with an average acreage on each lot of 1/12 of an acre. Value of produce sold was $919.31. The value of the produce used by the family was $36,244.83, making a total of $37,164.14 or an average of $17.21 per garden. Total expenses incurred were $7.732,38,leaving a net profit to the gardeners of $29,431.76. Back yard gardens were for children only. The total number 2,911, total acreage being 18, total value raised [photograph At Community Country club] was $16,692.42, while the net profit was $14,252.56. The total number of gardens supervised by the Division of Recreation was 5,190, the value of the produce raised being $57,455.52.
COMMUNITY COUNTRY CLUB—Mr. John H. Patterson turned over to the City for operation the Community Country Club in Hills and Dales. An executive committee operated this club in co-operation with the Division of Recreation. The club comprises 100 acres, has ten tennis courts, nine golf courses, three ball diamonds, large playground, wading pool, refreshment stand, picnic grounds, men’s club house, dormitory, women’s club house and dormitory, dance floor, lockers, etc. The attendance for the season was 54,000, 7,000 less than 1916, while the receipts were about $7,000 less than the year previous. The deficit, amounting to $2,582, in operating the club was met by the N.C.R. Company.
LEGAL AID BUREAU
LEGAL AID BUREAU—During the year the legal Aid Attorney received 1,298 applications for legal service. There were 91 cases carried over from previous years, making a total of 1,391 cases considered. The gradual increase and benefit of this service to the public is quite noticeable from the first year it was established in 1914 when 727 applicants were taken care of. In 1915, 768; in 1916, 922, and in 1917, 1,298.
COMPARATIVE STATISTICS—In 1914, the office collected for clients $746.46; in 1915, $669.63; in 1916, $1,209.02; in 1917, $783.80.
DIVISION OF RECREATION
WORKHOUSE COMMITTALS—The year saw a less number of prisoners committed to the workhouse than the year previous, due to the fact that the City had less munition activities than in 1916. A total of 1,531 prisoners were admitted. It is interested to note that of this number 429 were on a charge of loitering, 351 for drunkenness, 231 for petit larceny, 141 for disturbing the peace, 91 for non-support. The remainder of the cases were for assault and battery, begging, train clinging, etc. Of this number 1,352 came from the Municipal Court, 145 from the Montgomery County courts, 34 from foreign courts. One thousand five hundred thirty-one prisoners were furnished with 134,290 meals, which was a decrease of 26,672 meals over 1916. Involved in these individual cases are 1,547 specific charges. Total amount of fines imposed was $60,884.00 in 1917 against $58,121.95 in 1916.
PRISON LABOR—Most of the prisoners were given work in the repair and cleaning of streets, in the parks, and in various municipal activities. A total of 16,927 days’ work was put in by the prisoners, some employed on the outside. Eight thousand three hundred ninety-five days were consumed by the prisoners in handling coal, while 9,385 days were spent by the prisoners in constructing the farm buildings on the Workhouse Farm. In addition, women prisoners have made the shirts for the prisoners as well as doing the laundry work.
PROBATIONS—The Parole system again showed its worth during the year, when work was secured for 59 prisoners. This has proven to be a very successful social experiment. The Superintendent secures workhouse for a prisoner and allows him only the liberty of working. He leaves the Workhouse in the morning, returns in the evening and brings his pay envelope at the end of his pay period. Between his family, himself and the Superintendent, the money is distributed to creditors, to the family, and for personal purchases for the prisoner. In many instances, balances are left with which the prisoner starts anew in life. Sixty-nine prisoners earned $3,060.66, paid $1,149.38 to their families, $243.13 to creditors, used $462.98 for clothes and meals, and had a balance when leaving the Workhouse of $962.54. During the year, there was added to the Parole Board membership, Inspector Hughes and Sergeant Haywood of the Police Department and Superintendent Huffman of the Associated Charities. A Parole Officer is very badly needed.
CORRECTIVE FARM—Active operation toward constructing the buildings on the Workhouse Farm began on March 1st. A stone quarry was opened this date from which all material needed for concrete buildings is secured. Inmates of the Workhouse are used for constructing these buildings as far as possible. During the year, all of the foundations, except for the Power House, were laid. The Rotunda was carried to the second floor line, including the second floor. The south-west wing was completed to the roof line. Only three hired persons were employed during the year. On the farm, equipment was added to in the purchase of one feed grinder, fodder cutter, a self-binder. The first story of the barn was remodeled, one end being converted into a modern cow barn suitable for the housing of 13 head of cattle. Among the produce raised was 21 tons of alfalfa, 10,208 pounds of early cabbage, 300 pounds of lettuce, 471 dozen radishes, 2,678 pounds of string beans, 48 bushels of peas, 368 dozen cucumbers, 602 dozen sugar corn, 154 bushels of tomatoes, 13,946 heads of late cabbage, 958 bushels of field corn, 197 bushels of wheat, 225 bushels of oats, while 508 bushels of oats were raised on the Brenner Farm which the City leased. Three hundred forty-one bushels of potatoes were raised and 7 bushels of Rutabaga.
CHARITY AND RELIEF
OUTDOOR RELIEF—During the year, through the Associated Charities, upon an appropriation of $3,000 made by the City Commission, the following service was rendered: Groceries in the amount of $2,086.85, coal orders amounting to $999.92, order blanks $12.60. There were 995 grocery orders serving 219 families at an average cost of $2.10 per order; 436 coal orders given to 184 families, averaging $2.30 per order. The City furnishes only about 20% of the
total cost of the outdoor relief system as distributed through the Associated Charities, the other 80% being furnished by private philanthropic sources.
DOOR OF HOPE—At the beginning of the year, there were present in the Door of Hope 14 inmates, there being born 46 infants. Forty-six adults were received during the year and only one death occurred, this being at the hospital and not at the home. Forty-six adults were discharged during the year and 42 infants. At the end of the year there remained in the home 14 adults and 4 infants.
DIVISION OF HEALTH
SOME VITAL STATISTICS—The death rate during the year was 14.7 as compared with 14.3 for 1916. The infant mortality rate was 97.6 compared with 98.4 the year previous. A decided increase in deaths from diphtheria and scarlet fever were shown with a very large increase in pneumonia, tuberculosis and heart disease. There were 807 deaths from preventable diseases;891 deaths as follows: Diphtheria, 13; measles,11;pneumonia,232; scarlet fever,5; tuberculosis, 191; typhoid, 18; heart disease, 293; cancer 128. In spite of the decided increase in general in the death rate, we had a decrease in the infant death rate, due largely to the activities of the nursing service and medical staff.
NURSING SERVICES—A drop was experienced in the number of nursing calls due to many changes that have taken place in the Staff during the year on account of war service. A total of 49,925 calls were made against 57,777 in 1916. In infant welfare work, the nurses are gradually changing from doing for people, to giving more time in instructing people how to do for themselves in the care of their babies. This is making the nurses teachers in the broader sense of the term. During the year, 3,341 visits were made to give babies nursing care and 3,321 visits were made to mothers for the purpose of instructing and advising them in the proper care and feeding of babies.
MEDICAL SERVICES—There is very close co-operation between the Medical Services and Nurses Service Divisions. The number of contagious diseases has been reduced by careful inspection of the public schools. There was very little spread of contagious diseases during the year. An improvement on the previous record of 35% of scarlet fever and diphtheria among school children is noted. There was also less need for treatment of indigent people, due to better economical conditions. One hundred six cases of small pox were reported during the year, despite the fact that this disease was prevalent all over the state. The largest number at any one time at the Quarantine Hospital was 29. The Medical Staff attended 534 patients in their offices, 16 obstetrical cases; answered 21 fire calls, 139 police calls, attended sick and injured policemen to the extent of 316; 358 firemen calls, 83 calls for the station house at which 102 persons were attended, gave 626 treatments at the Workhouse and held 407 clinics, at which 2,570 patients were attended. They vaccinated 1,603 persons and made 579 school inspections covering a total of 93,374 individual inspections.
BUREAU OF LABORATORY—During the year 298 food products were examined; 985 water analysis were made; a total of 22,609 examinations of all kinds, as compared to 11,619 the year previous, were made. A total of 839 chemical milk analysis were made and 852 bacteriological analysis. Seventy-five samples of milk were found to be watered and 18 skimmed. The Bureau made during the year 9,172 cultures for diphtheria of which 447 were found positive.
FOOD INSPECTION—As there is no law requiring medical examination of employes of dairies, restaurants, bakeries, etc. the members of this Bureau gave condsiderable attention to the cleanliness and general conditions of such places with splendid and increasing spirit of co-operation on the part of the proprietors. There were 760 inspections of bakeries, 561 of confectionaries, ice cream parlors, 79 of candy factories, 1,588 of eating places, 83 inspections of ice cream factories, 178 of poultry and fish markets, making a total of 88,929 inspections. Seventy-eight thousand four hundred thirty-seven anti-mortem inspections were made as against 50,842 in 1916. Twenty-two thousand five
hundred eighty-eight post mortem examinations were made as against 17,475 in 1916. Two thousand seven hundred thirty-nine abattoir inspections were made as against 1,963 in 1916. Seventy-seven orders for improvements were given and 80 improvements made.
BUREAU OF SANITATION—A great deal of time was spent by this Bureau on the cutting of weeds on vacant lots. The total number of inspections, re-inspections and miscellaneous calls was 37,653 as against 37,339 in 1916. Fumigations amounted to 9,950; 942 vaults were O.K.’d after being ordered made.
DEPARTMENT OF LAW
EXTENSIVE LEGAL ROUTINE—The work of the Law Department in the past year consisted largely of investigations, decisions, and opinions, and in the drawing up of a great many ordinances and contracts, and in the approval of many contracts for improvements prepared upon printed forms, as well as the supervision of the proceedings of the different departments on matters which required special attention from a legal standpoint.
NEW ELECTRIC LIGHT RATE—An ordinance fixing the rate to be charged by the Dayton Power and Light Company for electricity for lighting purposes having expired, the City started investigations during the year in order to arrive at a basis upon which to fix a new rate. The City Attorney, in conjunction with the City Manager, was in charge of this case representing the City, and conducted negotiations with the Dayton Power and Light Company. This included a study of the report of the expert employed by the City to investigate the data looking toward a revision of the maximum rate and which data furnished the basis for the determination of the proper rate. Because of the abnormal conditions in the business world it was finally concluded to discontinue negotiations as it would be inadvisable to attempt to fix prices to cover a period of years because of the difficulty in arriving at the proper basis.
STREET RAILWAY INVESTIGATION—The City, having employed an expert to investigate the street railway situation, whose preliminary report was filed during the year, gave to the Legal Department another task in making a thorough study and analysis of the report thus filed. This work included a preliminary study of the data covering street railway traffic and the various conditions of the street railway companies operating in the City. This was done preparatory to an effort in arriving at an understanding with the companies looking to better traffic conditions.
SETTLING DAMAGE CLAIMS—The same policy heretofore adopted in adjusting claims for damages due to street accidents where the liability of the City was apparent and an agreement could be made for settlement at a reasonable figure, was pursued. The results of this policy are quite apparent when a study of the results of litigation as shown in detail are studied. Every adjustment made in Municipal Court was an agreed judgment. The results of such a policy are reflected in one case where the City was sued for $10,000.00 damages for change of grade on Burkhardt Avenue and which was settled for an agreed verdict to the plaintiff for $7,000.00, but the agreement further provided that the sixteen lots owned by the plaintiff should be given to the City in return for the amount of the verdict was rendered. In such an agreement the City obtained valuable land, which will be, in the future, a fine playground.
WORK FOR THE COMMISSION—During the year, the Legal Department drafted 105 ordinances to be submitted to the City Commission, and drew up and approved approximately the same number of contracts.
FINES COLLECTED IN MUNICIPAL COURT—During the year, in the City and States cases, fines and costs were collected in Municipal Court, as follows:
Or a total of …$16,945.50
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
ACCOUNTING ACTIVITIES—The work in this department serves as a check upon the transactions in the Treasurer’s Division, the transactions in the latter being reflected in entries upon the books of the accounting division, so that both of these divisions must work in harmony; both are absolutely necessary, even though to some it might appear as if the transactions were being duplicated, for the accounting division corresponds to the Auditor’s office under the old charter and the Treasurer’s division, of course, corresponds to the Treasurer’s office, under the old charter, both being combined in the new charter, under the Department of Finance, and one serving as a check upon the other. The books of the City, as kept in the accounting division, are upon the basis of “Income and Expense”, rather than upon the basis of “Receipts and Disbursements”, the difference being explained by the following: the Work House may make a charge against a neighboring county for the keeping of the latter’s prisoners during the month of January, but the bill may not be paid until March; in keeping books upon the “Revenue and Expense” basis, revenue would be credited during the month of January with the earning of the Work House, even though the bill would not be paid until March, while under the old plan, that of keeping books upon the basis of “Receipts and Disbursements,” the credit would not be made until the cash was actually received; all well regulated business houses keep books upon the “Revenue and Expense” basis. We have made progress in our accounting system, but it is still possible of improvement; we have not as yet the proper centralized control of all departments receiving money, that we ought to have.
DIVISION OF RECEIPTS AND DISBURSEMENTS—The total amount of cash handled in this division during the year 1917, both as to receipts and disbursements, was $6,566,336.57. That includes all funds, both as to receipts and disbursements, and monies for all activities of the city, excepting Sinking Fund monies, whch [sic] latter amounted to $1,053,913.37 as to receipts and $1,094,790.99 as to disbursements. This division handled 761 payrolls, totaling $898,623.77, the number of persons being paid amounting to 24,225, the average semi-monthly payroll equaling $74,885.31. The auditing of the payrolls is done in the accounting division, that being another check upon the actual disbursements in the division of receipts and disbursements.
LICENSE BUREAU—There were issued during 1917, a total of 8,494 licenses, resulting in a total revenue of $15,865.10, quite a number of charity licenses being issued in addition, to those who are unable to pay.
ASSESSMENT WORK—The work in this department during the year made necessary the figuring of 16,200 assessments, the writing and serving upon property owners of 2,649 notices, the ascertaining of 11,173 addresses, the making of 2,207 affidavits, the making of 10,613 bills, the collecting of 2,144 flushing bills and the certifying for the County Auditor of 3,630 assessments.
BONDED INDEBTEDNESS—The general bonded indebtedness of the City January 1, 1917 was $7,001,280.00 as against $6,327,280.00 for January 1, 1916. During 1917 General Bonds to the extent of $712,000.00 were issued, of which $267,000.00 were authorized by a vote of the people November 2, 1915;$400,000.00 are payable from the income of the Water Works, $32,500.00 are payable from the income of the Garbage Reduction Plant and $12,500.00 are payable out of the ten mills, or one per cent, which is that referred to in the Smith 1% Law. The General Bonds maturing and paid off during the year 1917 amounted to $351,500.00. The Special Assessment Bonds outstanding at the beginning of 1917 totaled $1,120,615.00; there were issued during the year, Special Assessment Bonds to the amount of $383,905.00, these representing improvements made and chargeable to property owners, and Special Assessment bonds to the amount of $188,535.00 were redeemed and paid off during the year 1917, with $10,650.00 bonds cancelled by reason of the improvements being abandoned, these bonds being cancelled before they were actually sold.
DIVISION OF PURCHASING—The total number of requisitions received during the year from the various departments was 2,877, these resulting in 2,996 placed with vendors and 938 placed with the City storehouse. Before placing orders with vendors, an average of three competitive prices are obtained on each item for which there is a requisition, many of these prices being received by telephone, but in addition to such telephone quotations, 2,500 mail inquiries were sent out during the year. In addition to the general purchasing work, this division handled a number of contractual orders, or labor orders, for the various departments and has, also, done considerable work in the handling and selling of coal to the citizens during the extremely cold weather of [photograph of The City Store Room] the past winter, when the city handled the coal situation, prior to the establishing of the Clearing House. Even before the extremely cold weather set in, this division handled 1,472 coal orders in one ton lots on September 29, October 1 and 2, 1917; from December 11 to the 15th inclusive, this division handled 3,055 orders in one-half ton lots at $3.75 per half ton, curb delivery. In addition, this division also handled the receiving, billing and freight matters on about 85 cars of coal, which were turned over to the City by the Clearing House for the hospitals, etc.
On June 1, 1917, the purchasing division took over the making of warrants for payment, thus doing away with the making of such warrants by the various departments, and making it possible to combine the invoices for purchases by various department from one vendor into one warrant.
The purchases by the various departments out of the city storehouse for the year amounted to $14,495.22, or three times the amount of out store funds, showing a turnover of three hundred per cent. The cash discount on purchases by the stores amounted to about $300.00. Comparative to other years, these figures would show that the departments are beginning to realize that in purchasing from the City stories, the City is benefited by being able to purchase in quantities. Like every other institution, the City stores, as part of the City’s activities, is paying double, and in many cases more than double, prices for materials, comparative to preceding years, but the advance in prices in raw materials would, no doubt, be much more greatly felt if we were not able to buy in quantities through our City stores.
TEMPORARY LOANS—Of the floating debt of $125,000.00 outstanding January 1, 1914, $65,000.00 remains, $10.000.00 being paid off during 1916, in addition to the $50,000.00 reduction during 1914.