Breweries of Dayton - A toast to brewers from the Gem City: 1810-1961
Chapter Four: Dayton Breweries After Prohibition


 

             It took the depression to repeal the law.  Politicians argued that many jobs could be created by appealing the 18th Amendment.  Farmers would sell more grain.  People would be needed to make the bottles, build the buildings, and deliver the beer.  Money used to enforce a law that was not popular could be put to better use.

            In 1933 the 21st Amendment was ratified.  It repealed the 18th Amendment and negated the Volstead Act.  The breweries were back in business.

 

Hollenkamp Products Company

Airline Brewing Company

0l’ Fashun Brewing Company

Dayton Brewing Corporation

 

            After prohibition Theodore Hollenkamp returned to brewing ale and began producing beer as well, coming out with Dark Cream Ale, Golden Glow Beer, and Hollenkamp Beer.  Theodore passed away on December 21, 1935.  The following year The Hollenkamp Products Company was no longer a brewery, having decided to go back to producing only soft drinks. 

            In 1941 the company changed names for a short time, becoming the Airline Brewing Company.  It is unclear, but the brewery may have closed for a period of three years before Charles A. Pfeiffer became owner in 1945 and opened The Ol' Fashun Brewing Company.  William T. Reis was acting manager.  The brewery produced about 35,000 barrels of "Ol' Fashun Beer" annually.  Pfeiffer sold the business to Arthur Beerman in 1946, but bought the business back again in 1949 and changed its name to the Dayton Brewing Corporation.  The company was known for its Kitty Hawk Beer, Old Vienna Beer, and Merit Select Beer.  In 1962 Dayton Brewing moved its office to 23 Montgomery Street and distributed beer as a carry-out.  This was the last brewery in Dayton.

 

BIOGRAPHY – CHARLES A. PFEIFFER

            Charles A. Pfeiffer was born in Chester, Pennsylvania in 1898.  He moved to Dayton when he was four years old.  He served in the Navy in World War I.

            His working life was an unusual one.  After the war he became well known for his basketball playing and his pitching with a semi-professional baseball team.  He became a fight promoter, a patent medicine salesman in Canada and was the County Recorder from 1935 to 1945.   In 1945 he quit public office to open the Ol' Fashun Brewing Company.  Pfeiffer was later elected Montgomery County Treasurer, a position he held until his death on April 8, 1968. 

 

Miami Valley Brewing Company

 

            After prohibition was over the Miami Valley Brewing Company built a new brewery on the site of the old N. Thomas Brewery at the corner of First and Beckel.  The plant cost $100,000 and was filled with the most up-to-date equipment to be found at the time.  With modernization in mechanical machinery and perfecting of the brewing process, the capacity of the plant was in excess of 2,000 cases every eight hours.  The company still kept a connection with the old firm name, putting out products such as Nick Thomas Beer, Nick Thomas Bock and Nick Thomas Holiday Beer.  They were also the only brewery in Dayton's history to use beer cans, selling their London Bobby Ale, Nick Thomas Beer and Van Beck Light Lager Beer in cone-topped cans.  The company was also known for their London Bobby Bock, London Bobby Half & Half, London Bobby Beer, Miami Special Beer, and Miami Special Bock.  Morton L. Kohn was General Manager and I. George Kohn was president of the company.  The plant closed in 1950.

 

Olt Brother’s Brewing Company

 

            During prohibition the company temporarily manufactured soft drinks, made Polar Distilled Water, and distributed dairy products.  The company built a swimming pool on McGee Street. (See Olt Brother’s Brewing Company  in the Dayton Breweries Before Prohibition section).

            After prohibition the Olt Brother’s Brewing Company opened again, selling Olts Beer, Olts Ale, and Olts Superba Beer.  After Charles' death, Amor P. Smith was made President of the company.  A year later the company was sold to the Bruckmann Company, a company of brewer agents.  No product was brewed after 1942.

 

Schantz Brewing Company

 

            Sources claim that there was a Schantz Brewing Company on Washington Street from 1935 to 1936.  It is unclear whether any products were produced. 

 

White Rock Brewing Company

 
            The White Rock Brewing Company was scheduled to open in 1933, after prohibition had been repealed.  It was never issued a federal permit and probably never produced any beer.  It is included here only because some promotional items may have been produced.

 

Return to "Breweries of Dayton" Home Page