PERSONNEL OF THE COMPANY
A. M. KITTREDGE
Arthur M. Kittredge was born in Dayton, Ohio, January 9th, 1854. Receiving his education in the public schools of Dayton, Mr. Kittredge at the age of sixteen became an apprentice at the galvanized iron and cornice trade, eventually becoming a foreman of the shop and afterwards superintendent of the business, the company with which he was connected and under his superintendency, furnishing a large part of the special galvanized iron work for the exposition buildings at the Centennial Exposition held in Philadelphia in 1876. After this time he was engaged in various lines of business until January, 1884, when he entered the service of The Barney & Smith Manufacturing Company. He was elected Assistant Superintendent February 12th, 1886, and on September 4th, 1888, was elected Superintendent. On May 27th, 1892, he was elected a Director of the Company and on January 2nd, 1900, was elected Vice-President, which office he continued to fill until November 10th, 1908, at which time he was elected President of the Company, which office he now holds.
H. M. ESTABROOK
Harry M. Estabrook entered the employ of The Barney & Smith Manufacturing Company August 17th, 1885. On December 9th, 1897, he was appointed Assistant Superintendent. On January 2nd, 1900 he was elected Superintendent. On June 5th, 1906, he was elected a Director of the Company and was also elected to the office of Second Vice-President and General Superintendent. On November 10th, 1908, he was elected to the office of Vice-President and General Superintendent, which position he now holds.
A. J. STEVENS
Arthur J. Stevens entered the service of the Company as Assistant Lumber buyer December 26th, 1897, which position he occupied until April 1st, 1908, at which time he was appointed Manager of the Lumber Department, which included the purchase and handling of all lumber used by the Company.
On October 21st, 1909, Mr. Stevens was appointed Manager of Purchases and Transportation, which included the purchase of all materials and lumber and all transportation including all inbound and outbound shipments.
On June 7th, 1910, at the annual Stockholders’ meeting, Mr. Stevens was elected to the Board of Directors to fill the vacancy caused by the retirement of Hugh M. Wilson. At the Directors’ meeting held the same day Mr. Stevens was elected to the office of Second Vice-President, which position he now holds.
In March, 1905, the Company having purchased large timber interests, including a saw mill and railroad, in southern Georgia, there was organized the Milltown Lumber Company, of Milltown, Georgia, and the Milltown Air Line railway, of both of which companies Mr. Stevens was elected President and which office he now holds.
J. F. KIEFABER
John Frank Kiefaber entered the service of The Barney & Smith Manufacturing Company, in the Pay Roll Department November 23rd, 1891, and in 1893 was made Bookkeeper. On January 1st, 1900, he was elected Assistant Secretary and Assistant Treasurer which position he continued to hold until June 5th, 1906, when he was elected Secretary and Treasurer, which office he now holds.
E. A. OBLINGER
Edward A. Oblinger entered the service of the Company as a stenographer April 8th, 1901, and served in this capacity until January, 1903, when he was transferred to the Estimating Department, where he served until May, 1903, when he was made Bookkeeper, in which position he served until June 5th, 1906, when he was elected to the position of Assistant Treasurer, which office he now holds.
H. R. ROCHESTER
Harry R. Rochester entered the service of the Company in December , 1891, at first as a clerk in the Cabinet Shop Office and later as an engineer in the Estimating Department, where he served until November 23rd, 1908, when he was given the title of “Assistant to the President,” in charge of the Estimating Department and the Sales Department, which position he now holds.
W. D. SULLIVAN
Willard D. Sullivan entered the service of the Company January 4th, 1892, as a clerk in the Storeroom under John G. Linkert.
In September, 1892, he was transferred to the Main Office as a timekeeper, in which capacity he served until January, 1894, when he was placed in charge of the pay-roll and shipping department. In 1908 he was appointed Traffic Manager, which position he occupied until January 12th, 1909, on which date he was appointed Purchasing Agent, which position he now holds.
Return to "A History of the Barney & Smith Car Company" Home Page