Header Graphic
Industries & Institutions of Dayton Circa 1889
From Barney & Smith Manufacturing to Durst Milling


Barney & Smith Manufacturing Company

East Side of Keowee, Opposite Monument Avenue


The original date of the inception of this enterprise goes back to the year 1849, under the firm name E. Thresher & Company. The works are located in the north-east part of the city and naturally are of the most extensive proportions. The entire area occupied is about thirty-five acres. The plant may be divided into a number of general departments, each devoted to specific branches of operations. The shops are chiefly of brick, varying from one to four stories in height, and the entire plant is grid-ironed with narrow gauge tracks for transporting material, etc. The office is a two-story structure, the upper part being devoted to the draughting and designing department. There is a very large foundry fitted up with every convenience and with a capacity for producing many tons of casting daily. The machine shop proper is on three floors, and there are forge and blacksmith shops, car-wheel shops, axle works, a brick shop for putting the trucks together ready to build the cars upon, a three story brick car seat shop, and a three story brick wood working shop and planing mill. The freight car erecting shop has space for sixteen cars daily, besides which the company has facilities for turning out one passenger coach each day. In the paint shop the workmen are enabled to paint and decorate eight cars simultaneously, and there are also additions at each side allowing of conveniences for eight more. The erecting shops are each one story high with basement, and they are connected with two and three story buildings where the material is prepared. There are of course a number of structures in addition to those we have referred to, but a minute description of each department of this colossal establishment would of itself fill an entire volume.  The machinery of the whole plant embodies the latest improvements in every department, and the power to operate it is obtained from four large steam engines, the united capacity of which is about 600 horse power. The various departments of the works entail the services of about fifteen hundred mechanics, the wages to pay these consisting a very important item in the make up of the city's thrift and resource.

The company manufactures cars of all descriptions for railroads, from the ordinary flat freight car up to the most elegantly constructed and artistically furnished rolling palace. Some of the private cars they have built to special order have been pronounced magnificent works of art, and contain within themselves every accommodation, equal to those afforded at the most luxurious hotels or on board of the finest of ocean steamships. The company also builds the finest of sleeping cars, and those built for the Canadian Pacific Railway, and the directors car made for the Kentucky Central, were models of art and beauty.

The following are the officers of the company: E. J. Barney, President; J. D. Platt, Vice-president and Treasurer; F. E. Smith, Secretary, and A. M. Kittredge, Superintendent.

American car construction is not equaled in the world, and the Barney & Smith Manufacturing Company, of Dayton, Ohio, stands at the head of the trade.



Beckel House

Northeast Corner of Third & Jefferson Streets


That a city of the size and importance such as Dayton should possess at least one first-class hotel is no more than might be expected, but we are pleased to chronicle that the Beckel house of this city is altogether a hotel equal in accommodations and appointments to any, outside of a few perhaps in such cities as Newark, Philadelphia, Chicago, and other large centers, in a word, there is nothing lacking which could in the remotest degree enhance the comfort and convenience of guests The building is built of brick, is four floors in height, and is located in the very heart of the business portion of the city. The rates are two to three dollars a day, according to accommodations in the way of rooms of which there are one hundred and fifty in all. These apartments are elegantly fitted up and furnished and the whole house is heated by steam. Electric belts connect the rooms with the office, and there are bath rooms for the convenience of guests, elevators, and, in fact, everything that could be desired A special feature of the conveniences of this house is that it is provided with splendid sample rooms for commercial travelers whereby they are enabled to display their wares for the inspection of patrons equal to the facilities that a regular show room could afford. This has been greatly appreciated by the “Knights of the Road," and makes the establishment a most popular one with those whose business entails the proper display of their wares.

As regards the fare, there is but little necessity for us to refer to it. Under its present management, the name of the Beckel House and the finest table that skillful catering and the market affords have become synonymous terms. Suffice it will be to say that all the delicacies of the season are at the disposal of the guests of this house. The bar is also provided with a complete assortment of carefully selected and choice wines, liquors and cigars. Messrs. J. 0. Shoup & Co. have been the proprietors since February, 1888. The individual members of the firm are Messrs. J. 0. Shoup and Torrence Huffman.



The Brownell & Company

East Side of Findlay Street, North of First Street


The above enterprise, one of the most extensive in the city, was established many years ago the present company have been incorporated in January, 1888. The plant, located in the extreme eastern part of the city, covers several acres, and comprises a frame boiler shop, partly 300x80 feet in dimensions, and another part 200x78 feet, a brick machine shop 200x80 feet, and several other buildings of large dimensions, all of them recently erected, with the exception of the boiler shop, made necessary by the destruction of their former works by fire the past year. While this was a great loss to the company, their new plant and facilities have been greatly increased and improved, placing them in the field better prepared than ever to do a very extensive business. The mechanical equipment throughout is entirely new and of the most improved character, and when in full operation will furnish employment to about 300 workmen. The products of the company consist of engines of all descriptions saw nulls, boilers, tanks, and sheet iron and plate iron work of all kinds;

Their saw mill machinery practically embraces everything that may be needed in this line, and they enabled to equip saw mills complete or in part as may be required. Although of course restricted at the present time in their production, they have been tendered any quantity of orders and when the new plant is in operation they will no doubt be pushed to their full capabilities

The trade of the company is very widespread, extending all over the United States, and goods are also shipped to Mexico and some other foreign countries.

The officers of the company are Messrs. J. B. Brownell, President; D. H. Dryden, Vice-president S. A. Harper, Secretary and Treasurer; E. A. Vance, Bookkeeper, and 0. W. Ludlow, General Agent well known residents of Dayton and gentlemen possessing ample experience and capabilities for conducting the enterprise successfully. The influence of a concern giving employment to so large a force of workmen is exerted for the general thrift in a marked degree, while the high character of its products has done much to promote the industrial interests of the city where if has found a congenial field for its operations.                                                                    



Buckeye Iron & Brass Works

324 & 326 East Third Street


For many years identified with the manufacturing interests and commercial development of this community, the enterprise of The Buckeye Iron & Brass Works, must not be ignored in any publication proposing to reflect the trade advantages and resources of this city. Founded away back at an early period of Dayton's industrial history, the house commenced business not only on a much smaller scale, but in comparison with the present, a very circumscribed field of operations.

As the trade increased, however, with the growth of the demand, the resources of the establishment were augmented, and in 1878 the present joint stock company was organized and the style changed to the existing title, and since that time the house has not failed to maintain its position at the head of the trade a pre-eminence largely attained by its uniform production of a higher class grade of goods than are usually made by competitors. To enumerate even a small part of the goods manufactured and dealt in by the company would occupy more space than we have at our disposal, and we must refer our readers to the handsome and comprehensive illustrated catalogue published by the house for anything we are obliged to omit.

The bulk of the operations, however, may be said to lie in the manufacture of Brass Goods for engine builders and steam fitters. A special department is devoted to the manufacture of improved and highly desirable Tobacco Cutting Machinery, Linseed Oil and Cotton Seed Oil machinery. A large part of the goods which are the production of this company are of peculiar excellence, all the newest and most desirable inventions in these lines being immediately appropriated and applied, and many improvements in these lines are the result of their own experience, and are manufactured under patents controlled by the company.

The facilities of the house are complete in every detail, allowing of the products being turned out of the best quality, promptly and at reasonable prices.

The manufacturing plant is located on East Third Street, and is of a most extensive and complete character. The main factory is a building constructed of brick, four stories high, and covering an area 50x100 feet in dimensions. The two-story machine shop is of the same magnitude, and there is also a single story foundry 100x150 feet in area. There is also extensive yard room for storing pig iron and other raw material. The machinery with which the works are supplied is of a high degree of excellence, and includes the motive power, while a force of 225 skilled mechanics and artificers are employed in prosecuting the work in the various departments.

With so extended an experience and with such advantages, it is not surprising that a trade had been acquired embracing the entire United States, as well as European countries, while in some specialties their goods are found in almost every civilized country. The officers of the company are Charles E. Pease, President; W. Fritsch, Vice-president; and W. B. Anderson, Secretary, each of whom is an active participant in the business and thoroughly active in promoting, through their house the industrial thrift of the community.                                                       

As a concern with which to do business, that of the Buckeye Iron & Brass Works occupies a position to which we can add nothing, and our readers abroad who may be concerned will certainly find their interests greatly advanced by a correspondence with this house before placing their contracts.



The Christian Publishing Association

Southeast Corner of Sixth & Main Streets


The Christian Publishing Association was established in 1843, as the Ohio Christian Book Association. The first meeting in Dayton was held at the house of Elder P. McCullough, January 17 1885. The name was changed to the Christian Publishing Association and the Association was re-incorporated on November 28, 1886. For several years the business of the Association was carried on in the United Brethren Publishing House on the corner of Main and Fourth streets.

On June 23, 1870, an executive board was chosen as follows: N. Summerbell, J. T. Lynn, William Worley, W. A. Gross, and A. B. Heath. This executive board was authorized to close a contract with such builders as they might select to erect a publishing house in Dayton, and it was resolved that the main floors of the first story be at least two feet above the sidewalk, and that the basement have a wide entrance and good and sufficient windows.

The present building of the Christian Publishing Association was erected in 1871 and 1872, and on the 4th of December, 1872, authority was given to paint in large letters the words, "Christian Publishing House," on the building. The board of trustees met for the first time in their new publishing house on January 2, 1873. A resolution was adopted June 21, 1872, to the effect that a large and fine engraving of the new publishing house to be made and circulated, with certificates of donation or stock, and the following four sentiments of the Christians:

1. The Bible, our only creed.

2. Christian, our only name.

3. Christian character, our only test of fellowship.

4. Liberty of private interpretation in faith, and obedience to God.

One of these engravings was offered to each church or person that should pay one hundred dollars into the treasury of the Association, either as a donation or as a subscription to its stock, and each minister was requested to work to raise one hundred dollars in his church at as early a day as possible.                                                                            

The present publishing agent is Rev. Mills Harrod, who was chosen for this position in December of 1885.

The periodicals published by this house are as follows: Herald of Gospel weekly; Sunday-School Herald, semi-monthly; Glad Tidings, semi-monthly; the Little Tudor, weekly for children, with Sunday-school lessons; Bible-Class Quarterly, and the Intermediate Quarterly



Cooper Female Seminary

First Street, Between Wilkinson & Perry Streets


In 1844 the Cooper Female Seminary was incorporated. The first board of trustees consisted of Samuel Forrer, J. D. Phillips, Edward W. Davies, Robert C. Schenck, Robert Steele and Richard Green.

The principal object of the founders was to provide a school for the thorough education of their daughters at home. The name was given in honor of the founder of the town. The trustees of the Cooper estate, with the consent of Mrs. L C. Backus, gave to the seminary a large and valuable lot on First Street, extending from Wilkinson to Perry streets, and a liberal subscription of stock was made by citizens for the erection of a building suitable for day and boarding scholars. In October, 1845, the school was opened. Mr. E. E. Barney was elected principal, and entered upon the work with the ability and energy that characterized whatever he undertook. Under his management the school attained a great reputation, and attracted a large number of scholars from abroad. The following persons served as principals of the school in the order in which they are named: E. E. Barney, Miss Margaret Coxe, Dr. J. C. Fisher, Rev. Victor Conrad, Rev. John S. Galloway, Mrs. B. G. Galloway and J. A. Robert.

For many years the seminary property was exempt from taxation, but was placed on the duplicate by order of the auditor of state. As the owners of the property derived no profit from it, and it was used for educational purposes, the trustees believed that it could not be legally taxed and refused to pay. The property was sold for taxes and the trustees, acting on what they thought sound legal advice, appealed to the courts. The decision was adverse, and by this time the tax penalties and court costs amounted to a large sum, which the stockholders personally were unwilling to pay. Rev. John S. Galloway, at that time principal of the school, bought the tax title and paid the costs in self-defense. Subsequently his widow obtained from a large majority of the stockholders the transfer of their stock to her, and by the purchase of the reversionary interest of the Cooper heirs became unquestioned owner of the property. Although the trustees had ceased to exercise jurisdiction over it the school was continued until June, 1886. The property has now been sold by Mrs. Galloway and will be used for other purposes. While it is to be regretted that this valuable property has been lost to the public, no blame can be justly attached to anyone in the matter.        




Crawford, McGregor & Canby

Corner of Shawnee & Canal Streets


This extensive business of the above house, which is the largest of the kind in the United States as well as the oldest, and the only one in Dayton, was founded as long ago as the year 1829 by Messrs. A. & Z. Crawford, who began operations in a very small way as compared with the present transactions. From the period of the inception of the business the management has always been in the hands of members of the same family as originated it, although, of course, a number of changes of style and partnership have transpired at various times. Finally, in 1888, the present firm was organized.

The plant covers an area about 200x300 feet in dimensions. There are in all five buildings erected on the grounds, some of which are three and others four floors in height. The motive force is derived from a sixty horse power engine, and the entire works are equipped with the latest improved machinery known to the trade, including last-turning machines of peculiar construction, which perform the work accurately and quickly, and produce a much better last than is made by most other manufacturers. In the manufacture of the lasts sugar maple is largely employed, and the fact that the city of Dayton is contiguous to the forests from which this wood is procured constitutes a valuable advantage in diminishing the cost of production. Lasts for feet of every imaginable size and shape are manufactured, and the number of sizes, shapes, styles, and models amount to from 1,500 to 2,000 different varieties. In addition to the production of lasts, this firm also turns out considerable quantities of pegs, boot-trees, crimps, clamps, pasting blocks, shoe glimmers, toe and instep stitchers, gaiter tress, etc. Their sales are made throughout all parts of the United States and the Dominion of Canada, and the various departments of the business afford employment to about seventy work people.

The members of the firm as at present constituted are W. H. Crawford, John McGregor and Edward Canby. These are all well known and prominent residents of this city, and therefore not requiring any extended personal comment at our hands. Mr. Canby, in addition to his connection with this business, is also engaged in the manufacture of baking powder here.



Crume & Sefton Manufacturing Company

Southeast Corner of Clinton & Bacon Streets


One of the most important and prominent enterprises in Dayton, whose prosperous career furnishes a fitting comment of the advantages this city possesses of industrial operations, is that of the above company, which was instituted in 1877, and has since largely increased its sphere of usefulness. The company have recently erected a new factory, which is the largest single manufacturing building in the city. It is a three-story brick building, 100x200 feet in dimensions. The equipment is perfect, and embraces everything that money or ingenuity could procure for bettering the product or decreasing its cost, and much of the machinery was specially designed for their own use. The products consist of "Climax" Grocers' wood dishes and bakers' wood pie plates, made from sweet gum wood, which will not taint the contents. They also make "Globe" hinge lid oyster pails, "Perfection" oyster pails, "Wood Braced" oyster pails, and liquid sacks for carrying fluids securely. This company is the pioneer in their line, and they produce annually as great a quantity of these widely used articles as is made by all their competitors throughout the country. Berry pails and ice cream boxes of many styles are other specialties, as are also patent folding confectionery boxes, candy cones, mailing tubes and folding boxes for notions, dry goods, trimmings, etc. Another novelty lately introduced is a baking powder can, which is suitable for either baking powder, spices or other ingredients. These cans are rapidly superseding the use of tin cans. The body of the can is made of specially prepared waterproof white lined straw board, with a tin top and bottom, neatly fastened by a patent process which prevents their detachment, as is frequently the case with tin cans. The cover fits perfectly, and in all respects, these cans are far ahead of anything else in use. The company also make tea and coffee cans and a grease box on the same principles. Special size boxes of all kinds are made, either in manila paper, straw board, plain or lined, and estimates will be cheerfully and promptly submitted on application. The company publish a neat illustrated catalogue of their specialties, which they will also be pleased to forward. The resources and faculties of the company enable the house to fill all orders promptly at the lowest prices compatible with the best of work. The location of their works operates greatly to their advantage, the raw material being within easy distance, and complete railroad facilities enable the products to be shipped all over this country and the Dominion of Canada.

The officers of the company are W. E. Crume, President, and W. M. Kinnard, Secretary and Treasurer, and associated with them as directors are Messrs. E. J. Barney, President of the Barney & Smith Car Works, George P. Huffman, 0. M. Gottschall, A. W. Lowrey, and F. M. Swope, all prominent representatives of Dayton's best interests.

The products of this house have no superiors in this country, and the establishment may be cited as one which contributes greatly to the well-being of this community, and at the same time spreads abroad the name and fame of the city as a producing center, and altogether forms a very important factor of its development in industrial and commercial importance.



Davis Sewing-Machine Company

South Side of Davis Avenue, East of Linden Avenue


Incorporated in 1888, the factory was first located at Watertown, M. Y., where it remained until 1889, when a new factory was erected at Dayton, and the company reorganized; capital stock, $800,000. The plant covers seven acres. The machine shop is three stories in height, brick, 42x510 feet, with an L of same height, 52x175 feet; the foundry, brick, one story, 72x200 feet, and the blacksmith shop, also brick, one-story, is 35x72 feet. Great pains are taken in the selection of workmen, of whom 400 are employed, nearly all of whom are expert mechanics. One hundred and fifty machines are the average daily output. They are made in several styles and sizes suitable for work in every description of material, from the daintiest lace to the thickest sole leather. The Davis machine is in constantly increasing favor all over the world. The Davis Sewing-Machine Company is the only one making the vertical feed for their machines. The vertical feed, the patent for which is the exclusive property of this company, is above the bed of the machine. The goods rest upon a perfectly smooth surface, being held firmly by the Dresser-foot until the feed-bar has "stepped" forward. At this time the needle penetrates the fabric, the pressure is automatically transmitted to the feed-bar, and the presser-bar is raised. When the needle has reached its lowest point, the full pressure has been transmitted to the feed-bar and it and the needle-bar are moved together the desired length of the stitch, both moving in unison at their highest and lowest points.

The Davis Sewing Machine Company knows that a large majority of people using machines today are accustomed to under-feed sewing machines. The Davis Sewing-Machine Co., with its great facilities and superior Advantages, determined to supply the demand for such, and now has perfected an under-feed machine unequaled. With its attachments, a large range of work is easily done that no other machine can perform. It is a great fact, universally known and acknowledged, that the Davis Vertical Peed Machine performs a great range of work that none other can accomplish, which by other companies has been claimed to be due to its superior attachments. Keeping in advance, as it has always done, in range of work, the company now will produce the same results on its under-feed machine, by using the best devices, which it controls, and manufactures especially for this machine. But the fact that this machine has carried off all the highest awards in the great international fairs since the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia; at the Paris World's Fair, the Antwerp Fair, and lastly, receiving the highest awards at the Chicago World's Fair, fine medals and diplomas, tells the story of its perfection better than words possibly can.



Dayton Architectural Iron Works

90S South Ludlow Street


Dayton owes much of its prominence as a manufacturing center to the excellent faculties it enjoys for receiving coal, iron and lumber at low rates of freight, and to its central position and splendid shipping facilities, by means of which its products can be dispatched to any part of the country. One of the most extensive establishments here is that of Messrs. McHose & Lyon, which for a number of years has conferred celebrity on this center. The enterprise has advanced in the lapse of years from modest proportions to its present commanding position, and now the plant is among the most extensive in the city, covering a large area of ground, upon which are erected a number of buildings varying from one to three stories high, and each designed for some specific branch of the industry. There is a separate structure used for office purposes, and another for the drafting and designing departments. Steam and water power are used as motors, and the equipment of machinery and appliances includes the very best and most modern of their kind, such as riveting and bending apparatus, cupolas for melting, etc.                                              

The products of the works are mainly far architectural purposes, and include building fronts fire escapes, columns, beams, girders, iron stairs, iron pavement, iron railings, balconies, and in fact anything and everything that may be required in the construction of buildings which are made from wrought or cast iron. A very large quantity of patterns suitable for this work are in possession of the firm, and they are prepared to make others at the shortest notice from designs of architects or individuals.

The faculties of the firm in every respect are of a most extensive and favorable character The house is one of the most important of the kind in the West, and some of the most celebrated buildings and edifices in the country have been constructed from iron work made at this establishment. While on this subject we may mention that the iron work used in construction of the cable railroads in Chicago and Kansas City emanated from the house. All the iron work of the U. S. government buildings at Jefferson, Texas, Springfield, Ohio, Springfield, Mass., Augusta, Me, Williamsport, Pa, and Jersey City N. J, is now under construction at these works, and the iron staircases in the government buildings at Cincinnati, Memphis, and Kansas City were made by the firm, that in the building at Cincinnati being recognized as the finest work of the kind in the country.

The gentlemen composing the firm are men of energy and experience in all that relates to the business, and they have elevated their industry to its present position by pursuing the most enlightened policy and progressive methods. Further personal comment is not required, and in concluding this brief notice we will only say that we have endeavored to make patent to our readers with the limited space at our disposal, some idea of the nature of the work here carried on, which has expanded with the growth of the country in wealth and importance, and much of the celebrity of Dayton must be traced to houses of this character, which, in the production of high-class products, have done much to draw attention to the locality as a point of distribution and supply.



Dayton Asylum for the Insane

Wayne Avenue


Previous to 1852 there was but one asylum for the insane in Ohio, but in April of that year the Legislature passed an act to provide for the erection of two more. Dayton, having donated fifty acres was finally selected as the site of one. The building cost nearly $70,000, and is located south-east of the city. It usually contains between five hundred and six hundred patients. An idea of the practical utility of such an institution may be suggested by the fact that in November, 1888, it was reported that the whole number of patients received since the opening was 6,463 of whom 2,785 (over forty-three per cent) had been dismissed as cured.



Dayton Buggy Works

Corner of Home Avenue & Fifth Street


In the van of progression and advanced ideas with regard to modern carriage building is the widely known Dayton Buggy Works, founded in 1879, and operated by Messrs. L. & M. Woodhull. The plant, which is one of the most extensive in the city, was erected in 1888. It is located on the west side of the river, adjoining the railroad, affording unsurpassed shipping facilities. The buildings comprise two five-story brick structures, both with wings or "L's." The front and rear buildings are separated by an alley sixteen feet wide, and connected by bridges and a power elevator so constructed that it receives or discharges its load from either or both buildings. The larger structure fronts 100 feet on Home Avenue, and runs south 50 feet wide for 115 feet. The building in the rear has a 50 foot front, and extends back 100 feet, the wing extension being 45x50 feet. The entire floorage area of the two main buildings, together with the outside additions in the rear, comprise in all 80,000 square feet. The works are equipped with a 50 horse power automatic cut-off Corliss engine of the newest construction, and the boiler is a steel tubular one. The entire factory is heated by steam, and there is nothing wanting to make it one of the most complete and satisfactory of its kind in the United States. There are additional repository conveniences for the warehousing of 300 finished vehicles. The mechanical equipment of the works includes the latest and best labor saving appliances, and employment is given to from 125 to 200 men, according to the season. The products of the house embrace everything in the way of Surreys, Carriages, and Buggies, all of which are made with great care, and are as perfect as good material and first class workmanship can make them. The trade of the house extends throughout the United States, and large sales are also made to exporters in New York, who ship the carriages to South America, Australia, Mexico, and other foreign lands. The capacity of the works is fifteen finished carriages daily, and the demand is holy equal to the supply. Last Thanksgiving Day the firm was presented with an elegant flag by their neighbors on the West Side as a mark of their appreciation of the erection of such an extensive plant in their midst. It would be superfluous for us to add anything in commendation of this firm, their success is a solid proof of their enterprise, and the high character of their carriages is fully attested by the enormous and rapidly growing demand there is for them throughout the whole country.



The Dayton Manufacturing Company

2240 East Third Street, Corner of Garfield Street


The Dayton Manufacturing Company was incorporated February 3, 1883, with a capital of one hundred thousand dollars. The incorporators were as follows: E. J. Barney, President; J. D. Platt, F. E. Smith, J. Kirby, Jr., Thomas A. Bissell, A. C. Barney, and Charles 0. Raymond. The officers first elected, and who still retain the positions to which they were elected, were E. J. Barney, President; J. D. Platt, Vice-president; F. E. Smith, Treasurer; J. Kirby, Jr., General Manager; and Charles D. Raymond, Secretary. Immediately after their incorporation the company purchased a lot on the corner of East Third and Garfield streets, upon which they erected a fine, two-story brick factory building, 80x200 feet in size, and since then they have added a foundry, 75x100 feet, in the rear of the main building, hi these buildings the company employ about one hundred and fifty men, and manufacture about one hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars worth of products per annum. Their line of manufactures includes all kinds of car-furnishings, switch and car locks, railroad lamps, locomotive headlights, and fine brass and bronze goods. They have recently added the manufacture of household ornaments and bronze statuary in the form of statuettes, something entirely new in this part of the country. One of the last orders filled in this line was for several statuettes of Morton McMichael, formerly a distinguished journalist of Philadelphia and also one of the early mayors of that city. None but the finest castings are made at these works, and their work in the fine of car-findings is found in the finest passenger cars in this country, notably in those manufactured by the Barney & Smith Manufacturing Company.



Dayton Paper Novelty Company

127 to 139 North Mill Street, Corner of First Street


The extensive works of the Dayton Paper Novelty Company are on the canal at the comer of First and Mill streets. Their business began in a small way several years ago under the firm name of Shoup, Hughes and Co. The style of the firm was afterward changed to Laubach & Hughes, and still later to Laubach & Iddings.

The present stock company was incorporated January 1, 1883. The officers are: H. H. Laubach, President; A. H. Iddings, Vice-president; Charles W. Bell, Secretary; Theodore F. W. Schmidt, Superintendent.

The specialties of the Dayton Paper Novelty Company are candy packages for pails, cracker boxes, clothiers' and milliners' boxes, and a popular line of oyster, ice cream, and berry pails. They make also an extensive line of knock-down or folding boxes for all purposes. This company was the originators of paper packages made in such shape that they would fit compactly into pails, thus enabling manufacturers to pack their products in wooden buckets instead of square boxes. This is an important advantage. The specialties above mentioned are all controlled by valuable patents.

In these days of trusts and "combines" a point in favor of the Dayton Paper Novelty Company is that they refuse to enter into any combination for control of prices. They make their own prices, based upon a fair profit above cost, and stand strictly upon their own foundation, receiving dictation as to their business the past year.  Their capital stock ($200,000) is ample to meet their present requirements, and there is no predicting to what this business will grow.



Dayton Star Nurseries

West Third Street


On the western confines of the city are located the office and extensive grounds of the Dayton Star Nurseries, owned and operated by The Hoover & Gaines Company. For thirty years this enterprise has been connected with the name of Dayton, and much of the reputation of the city may be said to be identified with it. Dayton nursery stock enjoys the highest favor with agriculturists and others throughout the United States, and to the efforts of this company this gratifying condition of affairs is largely due. It was founded in 1858, the present company being incorporated in 1882, with a capital of $75 000. The grounds cover from 300 to 400 acres, upon which are erected upwards of twenty-five buildings, including propagating houses, warehouses, etc., and from 150 to 200 men are employed in the packing season. The products include a full line of nursery stock, embracing the choicest and best varieties of hardy fruit and ornamental trees, grapes, small fruits, shrubs, etc. The facilities of the company are the very best, and their trade spreads all over this continent. This locality is the heart of the best nursery stock growing country and fruit raising sections, and the utmost care is given to the cultivation of the soil and tillage, and the production of stock which is best suited to each soil and climate of the various sections of the United States. The management of the affairs of the company is in the hands of gentlemen of large practical experience, always ahead of the times in adopting promptly all desirable inventions and discoveries in arboricultural and horticultural matters which would conduce to improvement in the character of the products. The reputation achieved by the company for excellence has been readily recognized by the trade, and nurserymen and dealers find it highly advisable to transact business with the house. The company employs a very large number of traveling salesmen, who are controlled by a system perfected by experience and a due appreciation of the requirements of each locality. All orders are promptly executed to entire satisfaction, the complete facilities assuring hut little delay in the filling. Altogether, it is not too much to say that the Dayton Star Nurseries are competent in every detail, with advantages and inducements at the disposal of patrons not surpassed by any contemporary in the country.

The officers of the company are Messrs. S. W. Hoover, President; 1. W. Gaines, Vice-president and Superintendent, and J. W. McNary, Secretary and Treasurer. These gentlemen are all well known residents, and as before stated are eminently qualified by a lengthened active experience of the business to its successful conduct.



The Durst Milling Company

303 to 309 East Fifth Street


The enterprise of the Durst Milling Co. is particularly noteworthy, their mills being among the most important in Southern Ohio. The business was originally established in 1805 by Mr. Jost Durst the incorporation of the present company dating from the year 1887. The plant covers an extensive area and comprises a large flouring mill four stories high and built of brick, a frame elevator and other buildings. The mills are located along the line of the railroad affording the best of conveniences for unloading gram and the shipment of flour. The mills are equipped with the latest improved milling machinery, the full Hungarian Roller process being here employed, power being furnished by a steam engine of 175 horse power. The capacity of the mills is about 350 barrels of flour per day the product being a high grade of flour which, by the brand titles of "Durst Best," "Ladies Friend," "Boiler Process" and 'Telephone," are popular in the trade and with the public throughout Ohio, Maryland, New York and other localities. In addition to the manufacture of flour the company deal heavily in all kinds of gram which is received direct from the original sources of supply. The officers of the company are Messrs. J. W. Durst, President; Jost Durst, Vice-president; C. S. Durst, Secretary and Treasurer; and E G Durst, Manager, all of whom are closely identified with the manufacturing and commercial advancement of the community. As may he seen from their enterprise the Durst Milling Co stands prominent in the special department of industry to which they have given their attention, and the characteristics which regulate the business policy of the house are such as to entitle it to universal consideration.


Return to "Industries & Institutions of Dayton" Home Page