Header Graphic
Industries & Institutions of Dayton Circa 1889
From East St. Louis Dressed Beef to Miller Brothers



East St. Louis Dressed Beef Company

Corner of Sixth & Ludlow Streets


Apart altogether from the mere making of money, the above company, in the conduct of its business in this city, is performing excellent work and we take pleasure in adding our testimony to the advantages to be derived now and in the future from the use of St. Louis Dressed Meats.

Mr. C. F. Zachritz is manager of the Dayton Agency of the East St. Louis Dressed Beef Co., who are largely engaged in shipping dressed meats from the West to Eastern points in refrigerator cars. The Dayton house was established June 4, 1888, and has already made a large market for the meats in Dayton and vicinity. The refrigerator has a capacity of seventy-five caresses. It adjoins the railroad allowing the transfer of the meat direct from the ears without loss of time. It is impossible to transport live cattle long distances by rail and at the same time give them anything like what may be called attention during transit. It was necessary to pack them in a car like sardines in a box, with no opportunity to fie down, and exposed to the storms of winter and the burning heat and sun of the summer. Food and water could be supplied them only at long intervals and little could be done to alleviate their necessarily unhappy condition. The result could not be otherwise than that the cattle so transported would arrive at market in a feverish condition, bruised, worn out and with great loss of weight. Such beef is not fit for the table. By dressing the beef at the stock yards at East St. Louis is all this avoided, and good, wholesome food is delivered to the consumers in this market at a lower price and of much better quality than was possible under any other system. Mutton is also dispatched here under similar conditions, and no better can be obtained anywhere than is supplied by this company.



The Farmers Friend Manufacturing Company

Southeast Corner of State Street & Wayne Avenue


The Farmers Friend Manufacturing Company was incorporated as a stock company in 1871, and the executive officers are as follows: John W. Stoddard, President; J. A. Marlay, Vice President; V. P. VanHorne, Secretary, and J. F. Campbell Treasurer. These gentlemen are all representatives of the most prominent elements of the community. The company's works are among the most important in the city and possesses an admirable location with direct connection with the railroad system, the cars passing through the entire yard. The main factory is a building of four floors, built of brick 150x200 feet in dimensions, and there is a foundry 125x100 feet in area. There are also in addition sheds and outbuildings and other conveniences. An engine of 150 horse power supplies the necessary motive force, and the plant is thoroughly adapted throughout for this special line of manufacture, much of the machinery being made for the exigencies of the work of this establishment. From 175 to 200 operatives are employed in the various departments. The Farmers Friend Manufacturing Co. are large producers of high class agricultural implements, the most notable of which are: farmers Friend Side Lever Corn Planter, Farmers Friend Center Lever Corn Planter, Farmers Friend Check Bower, Farmers Friend Corn Drill, Farmers Friend Cultivator, D. T. K. Spring Tooth Harrow, Excelsior Three Section Lever Harrow, Excelsior Two Section Sled Harrow, Monarch Grain Drill, Monarch Force Feed Fertilizer, Monarch Vibrator Fertilizer, Monarch Three and Five How Drills, Farmers Friend Tobacco Hiller, the whole constituting as perfect a fine of punting, seedling and tilling machinery as is made by any other one house in the world. For further description, illustrated printed matter and other particulars, we refer our interested readers direct to the house. We may, however, say and with perfect truth, that their machines embody in their construction all the really valuable improvements of years and that taken altogether or in detail, they are as perfect a group of appliances as can be made. Wherever introduced they are general favorites with farmers, and the company has certainly every right to its title of "Farmers Friend" to an eminent degree. They are sold all over the United States in addition to a number of them having been exported abroad to foreign countries.



Firemens Insurance Company

Southwest Comer of Second S. Main Streets


Not until fire ceases to burn and the winds to blow will insurance become otherwise than a subject of vital importance to the business man, the capitalist, the agriculturist and the dweller in civilized communities, far each had valuable property which may be swept away at a moment's notice. The above company was founded in 1835, but its charter having expired it was re-organized in 1856. It has always been known for the cautious and conservative manner with which its operations have been conducted. Its executive officers are men interested in its success, and are S. Craighead, President; T. S. Babbit, Vice-president; V. Winters, Treasurer; Charles Richardson, Secretary, and D. B. Wilcox, Assistant Secretary. Messrs. Ira W. Canfield and William H. demons are Special Agents. The Board of Directors is made up of the following gentlemen: S. Craighead, T. S. Babbit, Valentine Winters, John B. Reynolds Ezra Bam, Boss Mitchell of Springfield, Walter W. Smith, I. L Baker and Henry C. Marshall, representing the most enterprising and prominent elements of the community. The company transact a strictly fire insurance business, their operations extend through the states of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Kansas and Nebraska, and they have in this territory about four hundred agencies.

The building occupied by the company is one of the handsomest and most striking architecturally in the city. It is five floors in height, constructed substantially of brick and covers an area 60x200 feet in dimensions. It was erected in 1882 and cost at that time $50,000 and is now worth $80,000. The company occupy part of the first floor, the remainder being let out for business purposes. The capital stock is $250,000 and the surplus is $60,000, and there is also a reserve fund for re-insurance of nearly $150,000. The assets are increasing year by year, and at the present time amount to nearly $500,000. From its organization this company has paid out in losses nearly $1,500,000, and in no case has a single just claim been refused compensation. Such in brief is a statement of the business of this old established and reliable company, which confers celebrity upon the city of Dayton wherever its operations extend to.



E. E. Fulton &. Company

North Keowee Street


The above enterprise was founded in 1883 as E. E. Fulton A Co., and in 1886 it was incorporated as a stock company under the title of the Fulton Grain and Flour Co. A plant is utilized which comprises a commodious elevator on the line of the C. H. & D. B. B., which is the joint property of that corporation, and Mr. E. E. Fulton, the senior member of the firm. This elevator has a capacity of 50,000 bushels of grain, and a car of grain can be unloaded and stored away in the brief period of eight minutes. It also has a corn shelter with a capacity for shelling 1,000 bushels of corn hourly, and the firm also grind corn to a limited extent. They are interested in a roller mill where large quantities of a fine grade of flour are made for them, and this product has gained a reputation in the trade under their own brand titles. The main business of the house, however, is shipping and distributing grain, straw and feed to the trade of New England, New York, the Middle States and Virginia. Sales are made in car-load lots only, and their supplies are drawn from the rich agricultural districts of Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. The members of the firm are Messrs. E. E. Fulton, I. J. Bassett, and C. J. Knecht. Mr. Fulton has long been familiar with the trade in food staples, and his relations with both producers and consumers are more than ordinarily close and pleasant. Mr. Bassett is an ex-county commissioner and is one of the best known gentlemen in this county. Mr. Knecht is at present the United States Revenue Collector for this district. We may add in conclusion that the advantage of all buyers will be promoted by effecting a business connection with this house.



S. T. & G. A. Gebhart

204 East Third Street


The above house was founded in 1856 by Mr. S. T. Gebhart, the business having been commenced upon a much smaller scale than as it is carried on at present. Success, however, at once attended their endeavor, and the healthy growth of the business was assured from the first. In 1863 the present firm was constituted.

The premises occupied by the firm consist of a four-story brick building, 20x110 feet in dimensions. Five salesmen and warehousemen find employment here in the various departments, in addition to commercial representatives on the road, and a stock is carried which embraces every known article in the line of heavy and carriage hardware, merchant bar, band and hoop iron, bar and sheet steel, axles, springs, wheels, hubs, spokes, felloes, nuts, bolts, washers, shaftings, drill rods, and general supplies of all kinds for wagon makers, blacksmiths, carriage makers, etc. The stock carried is complete in its variety, heavy and well selected, and is procured direct from the manufacturers of the goods and first hands generally, and the facilities of the house enable these supplies to be placed at the disposal of the trade at the lowest prices. While a considerable trade is transacted locally, the bulk of the business is done throughout this state and Indiana, and the operations of the firm are annually growing in volume.

The members of the firm are life-long residents of this city, and are closely allied to the development of her commercial prosperity. They are well and widely known throughout the circuit of their trade, and certainly merit the confidence and consideration they enjoy at the hands of their patrons.



Gem City Brewery

Foot of Perry Street


The latest addition to the brewery interests of Dayton is that of the Gem City Brewery, which was established May 2,1888. The brewery contains one of the finest plants that could be desired. The building is a handsome three-story brick structure, 40x175 feet in dimensions, with outbuildings attached, and the machinery and appliances here in operation are of the latest improved and most modern description, embodying all the most scientific discoveries in the production of the finest quality of malt liquors. The members of the firm, Messrs. George Schantz and Louis Schwind, are thoroughly acquainted with every detail of the business, and exercise their closest personal and practical supervision over all operations. The facilities possessed by the brewery are first-class. It has a capacity for producing about 30,000 barrels annually, and already a very large trade has been established, which is steadily increasing as the high character of the product becomes well known and appreciated. We are pleased to have to chronicle the institution of this undertaking, which, under such responsible management and in possession of all facilities for doing business, can not but result in success of a marked and gratifying nature.



G. W. Heathman S. Company

119 & 121 East Second Street


This enterprise was founded in 1856 as Nickum, Heathman A Co., the present firm title dating from 1872. The premises occupied comprise a building of three floors, 68x100 feet in dimensions, which is equipped with a 30 horse power engine and all necessary machinery, employment being furnished to twenty-one operatives. The firm manufacture everything in the way of Crackers, Biscuits, Cakes, etc., which are guaranteed of best quality, are made of the best selected ingredients, and are entirely pure. The trade of the house extends throughout Ohio and Indiana generally, and also to points further distant in adjoining states.

Mr. G. W. Heathman is the sole proprietor of the business, and he is in every way a thoroughly competent and practical man, critically supervising all the operations of the works in the interests of his patrons.

We may say in conclusion that this house, by reason of its long establishment and well known reputation for superior products, has gained the full confidence of the trade and all business transactions with it will result in both pleasant and profitable relations.



Lowe Brothers

134 & 136 East Third Street


This enterprise was founded in 1862 by Messrs. Stoddard and Grimes, who were succeeded by Stoddard & Co., and they in turn by the present firm to 1872. Their factory consists of a four story brick building 40x64 feet, which is equipped with a forty horse power steam engine, paint grinders, mixers and other apparatus. The warehouse and salesrooms are embraced in a four story structure 40x85 feet, with an additional building to the rear of the same dimensions, employment being furnished in the several departments to about fifty clerks, salesmen and workmen.

Messrs. Lowe Brothers are manufacturers of "High Standard" Paints and Colors, and there can be no question that their goods fully merit the title which has been bestowed upon them. The firm makes all kinds of house and carriage paints and they may be relied upon for being made from the very best of strictly pure raw material These goods are warranted to wear better, look better, cover more surface and prove more economical than any other similar goods before the market. Their goods are known on the market as the Dayton Ready Made Colors and Lowe Brothers' High Standard Liquid Paints, and they are shipped to all parts of the United States. The members of the firm are Henry C. Lowe, Houston Lowe and Horace A. Irwin, all well known and highly respected citizens of Dayton, to conclusion we may safely say that with every facility at hand far supplying the trade, ample resources and extended experience, this house is fully entitled to the marked success it has achieved.



E. B. Lyon

426 Huffman Avenue


The diversity of the manufacturing enterprises of Dayton is well illustrated by the above enterprise which is unique of its kind here. The inception of the enterprise dates back to the year 1865 when it was instituted by the present proprietor. The plant includes a building of two floors, 120x70 feet to dimensions, used far the factory, to addition to lumber yards, the whole covering an area of about an acre. A full complement of modem wood working machinery is here to operation, the power being furnished by a sixty horse power engine, and about forty workmen are given employment Mr. Lyon is a manufacturer of Trunk Slats and Handles which are here produced to huge quantities and are shipped to all parts of the United States and abroad. Although it may not be apparent that a large amount of skill is necessary to the operation of this business, yet nevertheless every attention is required to the selection the lumber and also to have it well dried and seasoned. All care is taken at these works and the facilities are such that all orders are promptly filled.

Mr. Lyon is a gentleman of experience who devotes his close energies to his enterprise, which without making undue ostentation, is entitled to be ranked among the more important of Dayton's industries.



The Manhattan One Price Clothing Company

39 & 41 South Main Street


The leading clothing house of the city of Dayton is the one of which we now offer a few brief details. The establishment resembles the large clothing palaces of metropolitan cities to the character of its appointments, its immense and diversified stock, and the modern and enterprising methods by which its operations are conducted. The premises are located at the above address, and comprise the store, basement, and floors above. Here may be found a stock of goods which makes the company outfitters for man, youth and boy to the wildest acceptation of this term. They employ twenty attentive, polite and courteous salesmen the year round, and every effort is made by the management to give complete satisfaction to patrons. The headquarters and manufactory of the company is located at New York, and they have a number of stores to various parts of the country, of which the Dayton establishment is not the least important.  The house was established April 1st, 1885, and notwithstanding the difficulties of contending as strangers with old established houses, they at once took the leading place to the trade, as the policy adopted was the sale of honest and reliable goods, sold according to and only by the strictly one price system. They also cheerfully refund money expended without a murmur should the goods not prove satisfactory to purchasers. All goods are procured direct from Gus Hanauer, the proprietor of the factory at New York, and all stores are known by the name of Manhattan stores. The success of the Dayton house is solely and entirely due to the enterprising efforts of Mr. Mose Cohen, who has been to charge of the establishment since its inception, and who is now interested to the business. Residents of Dayton and vicinity can certainly do no better than to dealing with this enterprising and progressive establishment.



Mayer & Dille

17 North Main Street


The drug and prescription store of Messrs. Mayer 6 Dille occupies a position among the leading houses m this line as well for the ample qualifications associated in its management and the excellent location, has secured a liberal patronage from the trade, the medical profession and our citizens It presents that attractive appearance associated with a thoroughly equipped establishment of this character. It is fully stocked with pure drugs and medicines, all popular and desirable proprietary specifics, perfumeries and toilet articles all in large variety of the best quality and lowest prices. The prescription and laboratory departments receive especial care, and physicians' and family recipes are compounded with a due regard to the responsibilities of the work. The house was established in 1886 and the proprietors, Messrs. J. A. Mayor and C. W. Dille, are both proficient in all that relates to the business to which their constant attention and care is at all times given. Besides the retail trade in this city, quite an extensive jobbing business is transacted with dealers within a trade radius of Dayton.  From its inception the patronage of the firm has been large, gaining that annual increase of business which is the highest tribute to efficiency and character.



D. E. McSherry & Co.

1126 East Third Street


One of the most notable establishments of Dayton is devoted to the production of agricultural machinery, and has achieved a national and almost world-wide reputation. Nearly a quarter of a century has rolled away since the works of D. E. McSherry & Co. were established, and the influences they have exerted in developing the manufacturing interests of the city can not be over estimated.

The house was founded in the year 1884, the title of the concern then being McSherry, Kneisly & Co. In 1865 Mr. Kneisly retired and the present designation was then adopted and has been continued up to the present time. The works are among the largest in the city. They have a frontage of 317 feet, extending southwardly 135 feet to the P. G. & St. L. R. R. The buildings occupy three sides of a square. They are of brick, three stories high and were erected in 1868. In the main building are located the offices, machine and carpenter shops, and the planing rooms. In the west wing are additional machine shops and the painting departments. The rear building is 150x25 feet and is used for pattern shops, gate building, grinding, polishing, and as japanning rooms. The machine and blacksmith shops are supplied with a complete line of the finest machinery, including a number of intricate and peculiar construction, specially made to perform certain parts of the work in addition to a full equipment of lathes, planers, power punches, single and gang drill presses, bolt machinery, power hammers, wheel tireing machines and indeed everything necessary in the equipment of so complete and extensive an establishment The foundry is at the east end of the works and the capacity of the cupola is seven tons daily. In the various departments from 100 to 120 skilled mechanics and others are given employment.

The firm manufactures: The McSherry Grain Drill, which can justly claim to be the very best appliance of its kind, and has invariably given complete satisfaction. The McSherry Unrivaled Force Feed, which may implicitly be relied upon for accuracy, regularity and evenness. The None Such Spring Tooth Harrow is one of the best appliances made and is worthy the attention of the trade and the agriculturist. It has many entirely new features which greatly enhance its usefulness, and it is substantially and well made and most convenient to set up, and is sure to give complete satisfaction when in operation. The New Model Pulverizing Rotary Disc Harrow is an implement combining all the valuable features of the various kind of disc harrows and is superior to any. The firm also manufactures other agricultural machinery and everything emanating from this house may be relied upon for being of the very best construction. The firm published printing matter relating to all their appliances and they invite correspondence relative to all of them. Their goods are shipped to all parts of the United States, and they have been exported to England, Scotland, Sweden, Russia, Australia, New Zealand and other foreign countries. At the Centennial Exposition the McSherry Drills received the highest award and they have taken prizes and honorable mention at State and County Fairs all over the country. The firm are yet constantly on the alert to introduce improvements in their appliances.

The members of the firm are Messrs. D. E. McSherry and Edward Breneman, both of whom have been connected with the house from the period of its inception. In the various ramifications of their business they have borne an important part in extending the reputation of Dayton as a great manufacturing center, as well as fostering the material prosperity of this community.



The Merchants Tobacco Company

Merchants Avenue, South of Fifth Street


The Merchants Tobacco Company was established in October, 1887. The plant covers an area of ground 250x350 feet in dimensions, upon which are erected a number of buildings, the principal of which is four floors in height, and covers an area 60x110 feet. The equipment is very complete in character, the very best of modem machinery and appliances being in operation. Water power, supplied by the aid of a hydraulic automatic pump, supplies the motive force, and this is supplemented by a 40 horse power auxiliary engine. About one hundred work people are employed, and the product of the factory is plug tobacco exclusively. The improved processes in vogue assure the production of the very highest grade of goods, and the utmost care is taken in the selection of the raw material, which is scrupulously scrutinized before being manipulated. The company manufacture a variety of brands of plug tobacco, which are known to the trade by their titles of "Lawn Tennis," Sweet Hut," "Turnpike," "Sold Hawk," "Our Winner," and "Wonderful." These goods have already met with the appreciation which is their due, and the trade has found that its interests are well served in handling them. The capacity of the factory is about 5,000 Ibs. daily. The officers of the company are John B. Bright, President; Charles A. Phillips, Vice-president and Treasurer, and A. A. Butterfield, Secretary. Mr. Bright is also a member of the firm of Bright & Fenner, manufacturing confectioners, and was formerly of the wholesale grocery firm of Bright & Crossley. Mr. Phillips is Vice-president of the Dayton Malleable Iron Co., the Secretary of the Dayton Hydraulic Co., and was also a member of the old cotton manufacturing firm of T. A. Phillips & Sons, who for forty-five years occupied the plant now used by the Merchants Tobacco Co. Thus it will be seen that the management of this business is in the hands of reliable and competent men, who undoubtedly, will obtain far the enterprise now under comment the same pronounced success as has resulted from their management of the other important business establishments with which they have long been connected.



Miami Commercial College

Southwest Corner of Second & Main Streets


In common with other schools commercial colleges awaken the mind to the reception of knowledge, and exercise a certain disciplinary effect, but their chief value lies in the fact that they immediately prepare the student for an active business career, and send him forth fully equipped to fight the battle of life. Whatever of failure is or may be ascribed to them is not chargeable to their methods or system, but to the lack of brains in duller students who attend them.

The Miami Commercial College was established in 1860 by Mr. E. D. Babbit, but Mr. A. D. Wilt, the present principal, has been identified with every step of its progress since its inception. He is assisted by accomplished and experienced instructors, who combine with him to impart what constitutes as complete a commercial course as is given by any similar institution. This includes penmanship, book-keeping, arithmetic, commercial law, correspondence, and general business practice. Supplementary tuition is also given in phonography and type-writing. In all departments particular attention is given to each individual student, and thus proficients are turned out in the shortest space of time.

The proprietor and principal, Mr. A. D. Wilt, is an accomplished scholar, having an experience of nearly thirty years duration. Few gentlemen, resident in this city, are better known or enjoy a higher standing. His experience of actual business operations has been extended, and he was postmaster of the City of Dayton from 1882 to 1886.  At the present time he is one of the directors of the Albaugh Nurseries Co., and he was one of the incorporators of the Fidelity Safe and Deposit Co., of this city. He has always been among the foremost to advance and stimulate the material advance and prosperity of the community.

Mr. Wilt extends a cordial invitation to business men to visit his school so that they may see for themselves that pupils are not merely instructed according to theoretical rules, but that the practice of absolute business operations is here carried on. In concluding, ample evidences of the merits of the college are afforded by the signal and well attested success of its past and present career, and the satisfaction and commendation of thousands of its former pupils.



Miller Brothers

138 & 140 Canal Street


The above house was founded in 1871, the operations at that time being upon a most modest scale. It continued, however, to advance in magnitude, and in June, 1884, the present commodious factory was erected. This consists of a brick building having four floors and a basement, which occupies an area 40x82 feet. The various floors are devoted to different departments, and employment is furnished to a force of from 80 to 80 skilled cigar makers and others, whose production aggregates to several million cigars annually.

The products of the factory embrace a full fine of Havana and domestic cigars, honestly made from carefully selected stock, and among other brands their "Gold and Silver," "Comet," "Eleroma," "True," and "Slim Jim" have become popular. The firm also makes a long list of other brands for dealers throughout the country, and are also heavy dealers in leaf tobacco, packing and handling the product of the Miami Valley and other localities. The trade of the house lies in this state and Indiana and other sections, and is annually increasing.

The members of the firm are Messrs. Augustus Miller and William Miller. The firm is also largely interested in the Bowanee Medical Co., engaged in making "Bowanee," a remarkable specific and an unfailing cure for dyspepsia and all kinds of stomach troubles arising from indigestion. So far it has not been extensively advertised, nevertheless the demand for it has come from all over the country owing to the fact that its use has been recommended to others by all who have ever experienced the benefits of using it, and this class constitutes everybody who has ever essayed its virtues.


Return to "Industries & Institutions of Dayton" Home Page