National Cornice Works
14 to 18 South Canal Street
This house was founded in 1857 by W. F. Gebhart, the present firm succeeding in 1880. The increase of the business has been rapid and permanent. The manufacturing plant comprises four floors in the Gebhart power building, where all appliances and machinery are at hand suitable to the complete and thorough execution of the work. The firm manufactures Galvanized Iron and Copper Ornamental Work, such as cornices, spouts, funnels, eaves, window and door cappings, etc., and they also execute everything in the way of copper, tin, and slate roofings. The operations of the house also comprise any class of work to order which may be made from the above metals. The facilities of the firm include a large plant, where thirty men are employed, the best of appliances, thorough experience, good work, and reasonable charges. The largest contracts are undertaken by the house, and estimates are promptly submitted on the shortest notice. The members of the firm are Messrs. Charles Wuichet and R. C. Schenck, Jr., both of whom are practical men who give their undivided attention to the various operations of the business. The trade of the house is throughout the United States generally, and particularly in this and neighboring states. The firm is in every way a liberal and fair dealing one, with whom it is highly advantageous to enter into business relations.
Osceola Mills & Dayton Volkszeitung
310 East Fifth Street
The Osceola Mills was erected in 1858, by L. Wollaston. The building is located on Fifth Street, on the canal. It is a four story and basement building, 60x80 foot in size, having a height of fifty-two feet in front. When occupied as a flour mill it was fitted up with three run of buhrs, two of which were kept in operation night and day. Mr. Wollaston disposed of his interest to T. A. Phillips, but repurchased it, and afterwards sold it to Joseph Kratochwill, to whose estate it belongs at the present time. It is now being used by different parties as a store-house, and also by the Democrat and the Dayton Volkszeitung.
The Dayton Volkszeitung was started April 26, 1866, by George Neder. It was a six-column four-page paper, 22x32 inches in size. In June, 1866, a semi-weekly issue was printed in addition to the weekly, and in October following the semi-weekly issue gave place to a tri-weekly issue. This gave place to a daily paper about the 1st of September, 1876, since when both a weekly and a daily have been continuously published. From the time it was started until 1874 the Volkszeitung was published in the United Brethren Publishing House, and in that year it was moved to the Osceola Mills Building, where it has been published ever since. On the 15th of April, 1882, a stock company was formed with a capital of ten thousand dollars, the officers of which have been ever since the organization of the company, George Neder, President, and Otto Moosbrugger, Secretary and Treasurer. The other directors are at the present time Edward Neder, Max Neder, Kuno Moosbrugger, and Angelo Moosbrugger. The paper has always been independent in politics, supporting either the Democratic or the Republican party, according to circumstances.
Southwest Comer of Third & Main Streets
Among the leading first-class hotels in Ohio is the Phillips House, eligibly and centrally located, and for upwards of thirty-five years a favorite resort of travelers. The hotel is four stories high and contains one hundred and fifty rooms available for guests, which are handsomely furnished, all heated with steam and lighted with incandescent electric lamps. Electric fire alarm and bells are in each room and an elevator connects all the floors. The office, lobby and dining room are the most roomy and elegantly appointed of any in the city, and in every respect the attention, service, cuisine and accommodations are the best that long experience and modern methods can offer the public. With all its advantages the rates of the Phillips House are but $2.00 per day, and that they are appreciated by the traveling public is best evidenced by the fact that there is hardly a night in the year when the house has any vacant rooms.
D. L. Rike & Company
15 & 17 East Third Street
Dayton is now not behind her sister cities in the possession of attractive dry goods establishments, as may easily be discovered by a visit to that of Messrs. D. L. Rike & Co., located at Nos. 15 and 17 East Third St. This house was founded in 1858 as Prugh, Joyce and Rike, and in 1853, Mr. Joyce retiring, the business was conducted under the style of Prugh and Rike until 1865, when Mr. D. L. Rike became sole proprietor. In 1866 the present firm was constituted by the admission as partners of Messrs. R. L. Cummin and S. E. Kumler, who were previously employees in the house. The premises occupied covers a larger area than any other single commercial industry in the city, and the transactions of the firm are in proportionate magnitude. The store is of the dimensions of 200x45 feet in area, and there is also a portion of the upper part of the building used for manufacturing operations. About forty-five employees find occupation here under the active supervision of the members of the firm. The establishment is elegantly appointed, properly heated throughout, and for the convenience of ladies, dressing rooms are provided for their accommodation, and in fact everything which could in the remotest degree conduce to the convenience and comfort of patrons. The stock is not excelled for diversity, quality and variety, even in the largest cities of the state. It embraces a profusion of goods simply impossible to describe in dress goods from the cheapest print to the most rich and expensive silk and velvet fabrics, linens for household use and wear, upholstery goods, fancy goods, ladies' and gentlemen's furnishing goods and hosiery, notions, cloaks and suits, lace curtains and portieres, and, in short, every conceivable article which would properly come under these general headings. A special feature of the business is the woolen and merchant tailoring department. A large stock of choice domestic and imported piece goods of this description is carried, and an experienced cutter devotes his attention to the designing of gentlemen's first class custom made clothing and ladies' tailor made cloaks and costumes. Another specialty is dress and cloak making, in which a very large business is transacted.
All goods are purchased direct from first hands in this country, and through importing agents from eminent European houses, and in large quantities, and the principle on which the enterprise is conducted is that of fair dealing and giving full value for money. In every respect the facilities of this concern are equal to its contemporaries anywhere.
Of the members of the firm we may state that all of them have been for years identified with the material advance and prosperity of this community. Mr. Rike, in addition to his connection with this business, is also a director of the Merchants National Bank and of the Columbia Insurance Co. Mr. Cummin is on the Board of Directors of the Fifth Street Railroad. The pronounced success of the house may be attributed to an honest system of business and a strict adherence to every representation made.
John Rouzer & Company
East Side of Canal Street, Head of Fourth Street
In reference to the building interests of this city we offer a brief sketch relative to the above house, which was established in 1860 by Mr. John Rouzer, the present firm dating from the year 1883. The premises utilized consist of a commodious brick building of four floors occupying an area 100x150 feet in dimensions. A steam engine of sixty horse power is used to operate the machinery which consists of the latest improved and best wood working appliances, and about eighty men are given employment, which force is sometimes augmented to 120 as circumstances demand. The firm are contractors and builders and they are also extensive manufacturers of building material, office bank, and court house furniture, and they make a specialty of fine mantel work, stair rails, etc., indeed everything in the way of hard wood finish for the interior of residences and pubic buildings. The firm executed all the work of this kind in the Dayton Court House, as well as that in the court house in Columbus. The reputation of the firm is of the highest and it is one of the largest concerns of the kind in this part of the country.
The members of the firm are Messrs. John Rouzer, J. H. Pardonner, and W. T. Mooney, gentlemen well known and prominent in the community, and Mr. Rouzer is conspicuous in Masonic circles and has attained to the thirty-second degree in the craft.
By reason of the above complete facilities a very extensive business has been built up, extending throughout this State and penetrating largely into adjoining localities.
Silver Moon Tobacco Works
Northeast Corner of Fourth & St. Clair Streets
The natural and acquired advantages of the city of Dayton have contributed to make it a manufacturing and distributing point of great importance. Centrally located, with nearly a dozen railroad lines stretching forth in every direction, it has become essentially a favorable location for the prosecution of almost every branch of industrial endeavor.
Availing itself of these advantages, our attention is directed to the enterprise of the Terry A Porterfield Tobacco Co., which, established in 1885, has adopted its present designation since the past year. For the purpose of carrying on the business, premises are utilized at the above location which comprises a five story brick building, 35x100 feet in dimensions, which is admirably arranged and provided with all conveniences suited to the business, including the latest approved appliances, steam power being utilized to facilitate the work, and a force of about twenty-five skilled workers being employed.
The company ore manufacturers of fine cut and smoking tobaccos, which ore made according to the best methods from selected leaf chosen with the greatest care. The house makes a specialty of the production of fine goods, although all grades are made as required. Their products are well known, especially by the title of their leading brands of "Silver Moon" chewing, and "Scout" smoking tobacco. Their goods con be relied upon as pure and well made in every respect, and have gained for the house a well merited reputation within the radius of their trade operations, which extends throughout Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Tennessee and Kentucky.
The proprietors of the business, Messrs. James Terry and J. G. Porterfield, are gentlemen possessing a complete knowledge of the trade and what is best suited to its demands. They have built up an extensive patronage owing mainly to their policy, and scrupulously maintaining the already high standard of their goods, which are invariably found as represented. The establishment of and enterprise of this character in Dayton must certainly not be ignored in the make up of her material wealth and resources, adding largely as it does to her reputation for being considered as a market and source of supply for high class commodities.
St. Elizabeth Hospital
South Side of South Hopeland Street, Between Washington & Albany Streets
St. Elizabeth Hospital was started in a small way in 1878 by Emilie and Columba, Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis. They rented a small two-story brick building on Franklin Street near Ludlow, and prepared of hospital work. A staff of physicians who worked gratuitously was soon obtained. An additional frame building was erected on the premises shortly after to meet the demand far hospital accommodations. Soon more room was needed, and the Sisters selected six acres in Browntown (West Side) and erected the present imposing brick structure, five stories high, with four wings branching from the main building. It cost $65,000 and is a noble monument of charitable zeal.
The Stilwell & Bierce Manufacturing Company
North Forest Avenue
The Stilwell & Bierce Mfg. Co. is the proprietor of the largest machinery establishment in Dayton, and the largest, but one, of all the manufacturing plants in the city. This enterprise dates back to 1866, when Messrs. E. B. Stilwell and G. N. Bierce commenced operations in a single rented room, manufacturing at that time the "Stilwell Heater" in a very small way. This moderate start formed the nucleus from which has developed the enormous business now operated by the Stilwell & Bierce Manufacturing Co., which was incorporated in 1870.
The main machine shop is two stories high, 300x60 feet in dimensions. The roll machine shop, also two stories high, covers 200x40 feet, and the wood-working shop of two floors is 140x40 feet. The foundry building is 130x80 feet, and the smith-shop is 100x40 feet; there are also the boiler house, store houses and other buildings. The mechanical equipment embraces the heaviest and most modem machinery, appliances and tools, much of which is of late introduction, the facilities of the works having been recently nearly doubled in capacity. It is operated by water power, and a force of about 350 skilled workmen are here given lucrative employment.
The principal products of the company are Turbine Water Wheels and fixtures, Heaters and Purifiers for steam boilers, Roller Mill and Flour Mill Machinery in great variety, Mining Machinery for crushing and treating ores containing precious metals, etc. The "Victor" Turbine embodies all the features of high efficiency, superiority of construction, a perfect gate and simplicity, and are in every way high class and desirable appliances. Another water power appliance of acknowledged merit is Snow's patent Improved Water Wheel Governor, with patent variable speed attachment. The Stilwell Heaters are well known and appreciated throughout the country, possessing all the good points common to "close heaters." They also manufacture Odell's Mammoth Four-Roll Machine, Odell's Standard Roller Mill, Odell's Standard Single Roller Mill, Odell's Improved "Eight-Roll" Roller Mill, Odell's Concentrated Roller Mill, Odell's Granulator, Odell's Patent "Standard" Middlings Purifier, Odell's Sectional Grading Purifier, Corn Meal Aspirator, Odell's Centrifugal Reel, and much other flour mill machinery. The company have recently commended the manufacture of Improved Mining machinery for crushing ore containing precious metals. These new mills have met with marked success, and the company have an office for their sale at Denver, Colorado, to which point and surrounding sections they have already made important shipments. With splendid facilities and so varied an output, it is not surprising that the company's trade extends throughout the United States, and a large and growing demand is opening up in nearly all civilized foreign countries. The officers of the company are Messrs. E. B. Stilwell, President; R. N. King, Treasurer, and G. N. Bierce, Secretary. For over twenty years a prominent factor of Dayton's industrial advance, this eminent house has contributed fully as much as any other to spread abroad the name and fame of the city as a prominent source of supply and a great manufacturing center.
Stoddard Manufacturing Company
Southeast Corner of Third & Bainbridge Streets
Among houses whose fame is world-wide for the production of agricultural machinery, none have achieved a higher position than has the Stoddard Manufacturing Company, who in adopting Dayton as a theatre for their operations, have conferred a boon to the city in the advancement of its fame as manufacturing center as well as in the promotion of its industrial thrift in giving employment to a large number of operatives.
The business of this company was established in 1870 as John Dodds & Co., who conducted it until 1874, when Messrs. J. W. Stoddard A Co. assumed control of its affairs. In November, 1884, the present company was organized with a capital stock of $500,000.
The plant of the company is located as above stated and occupies as entire square, fronting on four streets. The works are among the largest in the State and include a number of buildings varying from one to four floors in height, each designed for some specific department of the work at hand. The motive force is furnished by two steam engines of 250 horse power capacity, and employment is given to about five hundred skilled workmen. The works adjoin the railroad tracks, affording the best facilities for receipts and shipments, and the products consist of special agricultural implements of the highest quality. The leading specialties are: The Tiger Front-cut Mower, The Genuine Hay Rake, The Tiger Seed Sower Attachment, The Tiger Grain Sower Attachment, The Tiger Plaster Sower Attachment, The Hollingsworth Tiger Combined Rake and Tedder, The New Hollingsworth Hay Rake, The New Favorite Hay Rake, The New Era Combined Hay Rake and Picker, The Climax Pulverizing Disc Harrows, The Triumph Broad Cast Seeder and Cultivator, and the Triumph Eleven-foot Broad Cast Seeder. Of these, particular attention is directed to the far-tamed Tiger Mower, the most perfect machine of the kind in the market, which has all the good points and none of the imperfections of other mowers, but also embodies many valuable improvements peculiar to itself, which places it beyond question ahead of its competitors; also to the famous and only genuine Tiger Rake, of which there are now the extraordinary number of nearly one hundred and sixty thousand in use. This fact is sufficient and relieves us from saying a single word in commendation of it. Special investigation is also due to the Hollingsworth Tiger Combined Hay Rake and Tedder, which combines allot the best features of the two well known and tested appliances. The Climax and Stoddard Harrows and Triumph Drills are also the best machines of the kind before the farming public, and indeed, we may at once say, that the appliances her manufactured are seldom equaled and never surpassed, and that the distinctive title of "Tiger" has become a standard brand of excellence, as regards the production of the highest class of agricultural machinery. Imitation is the best form of praise, and the fact that many manufacturers claim that their goods are "just the same as the Tiger" or "equal to the Tiger" show conclusively that even they acknowledge the superiority of the goods made by this company. The genuine "Tiger" agricultural implements are made by this company and by none others and they are safely and securely protected by letters patent covering the vital improvements.
The scope of the company's operations embrace the entire country and their machinery may be seen in operation in all parts of the Union.
The company issue a handsome illustrated catalogue hilly describing the implements they manufacture. The officers of the company are Messrs. John W. Stoddard, President; W. A. Scott, Secretary, and W. J. Jones, Treasurer.
Union Biblical Seminary
Northwest Corner of First Street & Euclid Avenue
This is the Theological School of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ for the United States and Canada, and was founded in 1870. The seminary building is located on a large lot at the northwest comer of First Street and Euclid Avenue, and commands a good view of the city and surrounding country. The spacious and ornamental grounds furnish room for all healthful exercises. Tuition and room rent are free to all who are admitted. Students who complete the regular course of study receive the diploma of the institution, and classical graduates who complete the regular course are given the degree of bachelor of Divinity.
Rev. D. B. Miller is the Business Manager. The faculty is composed of Rev. G. A. Funkhouser, D. D., Rev. J. P. Landis, D. D., and Rev. A. W. Drury, D. D. The building and grounds are valued at $40,000, and the institution has behind it an endowment of $100,000. All indebtedness is covered with good assets not included in the real estate and endowment named. The Union Biblical Seminary is of inestimable value to the city of Dayton.
The Union Safe Deposit & Trust Company
Northeast Corner of Third & Jefferson Streets
The Union Safe Deposit and Trust Co., with a capital of $100,000 was organized in January, 1888. The vault is located on the main floor of the Fourth National Bank Building, and was erected especially for the enterprise by MacNeale & Urban, of Cincinnati. It introduces all the latest improvements for insuring security, and is absolutely fire and burglar proof. The vault is constructed of various kinds of steel, the quality of resistance lacking in one being supplied by the others, and it is secured by every appliance known that would be calculated to defy the ravages of fire or the attacks of robbers. The massive double doors are six inches in thickness and weigh several tons. They are two in number, the outside door being secured by twenty-four double acting steel bolts, each bolt is one and one-half inches in diameter, and all having a purchase on the inside of the jambs, the bolt work operating from a common center, throwing eight bolts, eight bolts back, four bolts up and four bolts down. In addition to these heavy doors, there are inside doors for use during business hours. Time locks are also attached which afford protection after the dose of business, so that the doors can not be opened even by persons having charge of the locks. Burglar alarms attachments are provided and every half hour during the night information is given of the safety of the premises to police headquarters. Inside the vault are a number of small safes or boxes of various sizes. These are arranged in a somewhat similar plan to post office boxes and they are leased for any length of time, the rent ranging from five to fifty dollars per annum. No one is allowed to enter the vault unless accompanied by an officer of the company, rendering it impossible for any one to obtain access to a renter's box, and armed watchmen are on duty day and night. For the convenience of customers, apartments are provided where patrons can examine their securities alone and undisturbed. There are provided in addition storage accommodations for valuable clothing, pictures, plate, art goods, statuary, etc. The company also receives for safe keeping, under guarantee, securities and valuables of every description, including bonds, stocks, deeds, mortgages, jewelry, specie, wills, etc.
The officers and directors of the company are Torrence Huffman, President; William J. Shuey, Vice-president; Ziba Crawford, Secretary and Treasurer, and D. W. Stewart, Vault Keeper, also J. B. Thresher, John W. Stoddard, Eugene J. Barney, Clement J. Ferneding, James D. Platt, John T. Barlow and George J. Roberts. The company supplies a long needed want here and is deserving of the confidence and support of the community.
The United Brethren Publishing House
Northeast Comer of Fourth & Main Streets
The above named enterprise is not only one of the leading business establishments of Dayton, but its efforts have also been productive of much good in the dissemination of religious and moral literature. The building occupied is of brick four stories in height. The lower part is devoted to the book department, wholesale and retail; the upper floors for constructive details. A full line of United Brethren publications are carried, also miscellaneous literature, especially religious and devotional books, school books and supplies, staple and fancy stationary of every character. The facilities of the house are such that from here can be supplied private and public libraries, Sunday schools, churches, society organizations, etc. Printing and binding are special features of the business, and anything in this line is promptly executed at reasonable charges; and the only electrotype foundry is a part of their facilities. Their reputation for fine work in books, catalogues and circulars is such that orders are received from distant parts of the country. They also issue a number of periodicals of more than usual merit. Among such as particularly worthy of mention are The Religious Telescope, Oar We readier, The Children's Friend and Missionary Visitor, The Jugend Pilger (German), Lessons for the Little Ones, Our Bible Lesson Quarterly, and Our Intermediate Bible Lesson Quarterly. These publications are ably edited, handsomely printed, and in every way desirable. The trade of the house may be said to be all over the country, and it largely increases year by year. The Rev. William J. Shuey is in charge of the enterprise, and he is too well known to need any personalities at our hands.
The establishment is among the best known and most prosperous of the varied interests of this city.
Young Men's Christian Association
32 & 34 East Fourth Street
This useful organization is quite strong in Dayton, occupying the handsome and expensive building on East Fourth Street shown in the cut, and numbering 838 members. Its scope is broad and comprehensive, ministering not only to the religious, but also to the mental, physical and social needs of its members. The local Association has recently closed its nineteenth year, so that it is now really of age, and proposes to extend its influence through branch associations until every young man in the city is more or less touched by it. In the intellectual field there are evening classes in such practical things as penmanship, arithmetic, and book-keeping, as well as drawing, clay modeling, wood carving and other branches. Then there is the public reading room on the first floor, open to all young men who will use it, the reading parlor on the second floor for members, and a well selected reference library. The Star Course entertainments given every winter in Association Hall are unrivaled in their line. The gymnasium, one of the best in the State, is provided with every useful variety of gymnastic apparatus. The Bible classes and social religious meetings provide just that stimulus to the spiritual nature which young men so greatly need.
Zwick, Greenwald & Company, Limited
508 to 518 East Third Street
The present high state of perfection in manufactures has only been possible through diversified industry. The manufacture of many articles of utility has been facilitated and the cost materially lessened by means of a division of labor. Scarcely any branch of industry better illustrates the tact than the manufacture of wagons and carriages. Fifty years ago the various parts of a wagon or carriage were made in one shop, the same set of hands producing all the parts. To-day the operations of the wagon or carriage maker are scarcely more than to unite and finish the work of several other factories.
The house of Messrs. Zwick, Greenwald A Co., (Limited), was established in 1881, and they have since made a high reputation throughout the country for the superiority of their products. The plant is located at the above address, and covers an area 200x190 feet in dimensions, occupied with a number of buildings utilized in the various departments of the enterprise. All of the best mechanical contrivances and machinery are here in operation and a force of about sixty skilled workmen are afforded employment. The house manufactures wheels of all kinds for carriages, also hubs, spokes, etc. and their goods are known throughout the country for their uniform high quality. One of their specialties is the Bradley Wheel, which in its construction embodies all improvements, including die compression of the wood of the spokes before driving into the hub, and which then expands and makes the whole stronger than even if the whole wheel was carved out of one solid piece. The products of this establishment are shipped to all parts of the country, the South excepted, and as evidence of their excellence, and the satisfaction that they have given to the trade, we will mention that the company has received many letters of approval, testifying to the high quality, character, usefulness, and superiority of the goods. In fact, this is not extraordinary if we take into consideration the facts that the greatest care is exercised in every detail of the work, only the very best of material being used, and the highest skilled labor employed. Another point that should not be ignored in regard to the products of this house is that Dayton affords every advantage to enable the goods to be economically produced. The lumber of which the wheels are made is procured contiguous to the city, and a splendid system of railroad facilities assures low freights and direct communication with all parts of the country.
Return to "Industries & Institutions of Dayton" Home Page