DAYTON TO 1840.
John Ensey, born in Frederick County, Maryland, came to Dayton from Baltimore in 1806. In 1810 he married Sarah Thompson, who was but two years old when brought to Dayton by her mother, Catharine Thompson, on the pirogue. They had ten children, seven of whom were sons, and all lived to honorable and successful manhood. Dennis Ensey, now living on Tecumseh Street, was one of the original contractors on the Southern Ohio Lunatic Asylum. He has two daughters living in Dayton—Mrs. Thomas De Armon and Miss Jennie Ensey. John B. Ensey, one of his sons, was a noted surgeon in the Civil War, and Isaac Van Cleve Ensey was a lieutenant in the Army of the Potomac. Dr. William Webster Ensey, of this city, is his son.
Mr. Ensey taught school for a number of years, and lived to a good old age with his faculties unimpaired. To the last he took an unswerving interest in education. His grandchildren never escaped the catch-words in spelling, and stood in awe of the hare-and-hound problems, which were always in the end explained. He was kind-hearted and tender to the little ones, and I well remember, when about seven years old, being carefully covered and allowed to take a nap on the recitation bench during school hours. His wife, familiarly called "Aunt Sallie," was a devout Christian, and never allowed anything to interfere with her attendance at the regular church services. She is remembered with love and reverence by all of her descendants.
Alexander and Rebecca McConnell, in 1806, came to Dayton, and entered a section of land lying just east of the National Soldiers' Home, which they cleared. They had five children, all but two of whom moved farther west. Thomas Jefferson McConnell, in 1826, married Sarah Tyler, daughter of William and Judah Tyler, and in 1855 moved to Madison, Wisconsin. They had eleven children. Their eldest, Alexander, married Mary Johnston Bradford in 1855, and now lives on a farm south of Dayton, near Beavertown.
Benjamin Kiser, born on the south branch of the Potomac, Virginia, December 22, 1779, on May 15, 1806, married Mary Fryback, coming to Dayton the same year. They had twelve children. In 1810 Mr. Kiser was appointed ensign of a militia company, and his descendants still have his commission, signed by the Governor of Ohio, Samuel Huntington. During the War of 1812 his wagons and teams were appraised, "in obedience to an order from the quartermaster." They were valued at $866.50. Benjamin Riser was also "pressed into service to transport General Winchester's baggage," for which he was "to find himself and team, and to receive four dollars per day." In 1823 he was commissioned by Governor Morrow as lieutenant of the Third Company of the First Regiment, and on this commission is the following affidavit:
"I accept the resignation of Benjamin Riser, Esq., a lieutenant of the 3d Company, 1st Regiment, 2d Brigade, 5th D. P. M., he having served as a commissioned officer for more than five years in this regiment.
"L. Col. Comd't 1 R. 2 B. 5 D. P. M.
"DAYTON, August 17, 1825."
After the close of the War of 1812 Mr. Riser devoted himself to teaming, and during the years 1828 to 1832 worked the Edgar stone quarry near the Shakertown pike. He then devoted himself to agricultural pursuits, until his death, which occurred near Lafayette, Indiana, November 1, 1835. His wife died in 1855, at the age of seventy years.
Daniel Riser, the son of Benjamin and Mary Riser, was born April 2, 1807, and at the age of fourteen went to live with his uncle, Daniel Riser, who had charge of the county infirmary. In 1835 they removed to the Riser farm (now North Dayton), where they devoted their lives to agricultural pursuits. On October 28, 1832, Mr. Kiser married Eliza Varner, who was born September 19, 1812, near Frederick, Maryland. They had seven children. Mrs. Riser died January 15, 1853, and on March 17, 1857, Mr. Riser married Hannah Cox, of Franklin, Ohio. They had three children, all of whom are living. Mr. Riser was an enterprising, industrious farmer, and acquired a large and valuable property. He stood high in the community, and served as county commissioner, and director of the infirmary. He died October 17, 1869.
Henry Diehl, born in Hagerstown, Maryland, came to Dayton in 1806. He first learned the coppersmith trade, but being dissatisfied with that, turned his attention to making chairs, having an extensive shop on Main Street, next to H. Best & Son's present store, where he also made spinning-wheels and reels. He married Susanna Johnson. They had four daughters. Martha Jane married John Rouzer. John Rouzer, who came with his father to Dayton in 1822, learned the trade of carpentering and started a shop, which has developed into the large business of the John Rouzer Company, on Wyandotte Street. In 1853 he married Martha Jane Diehl. They had seven children. The oldest daughter, Rate, married L. Flotron, and their son, John Flotron, was adopted by his grandparents, Mattie married Horace Justice.
John Compton, one of the early merchants of Dayton, in 1806 formed a partnership with Mr. Cooper, and they had a store on the northeast corner of Main and First streets. Mr. Cooper sold out, and Mr. Compton moved the business to the southwest corner, where the Dayton Club House now stands. He owned a large farm on the Cincinnati turnpike, south of Calvary Cemetery, on which he had a distillery. He also built a house on South Jefferson Street, on the ground now occupied by the Pony House, where he resided until his death. His son Charles studied law, and married late in life. Lenox Compton was a farmer and resided on the Compton farm south of town.
Thomas and Priscilla Cottom left their home at Snow Hill, Worcester County, Maryland, for Paris, Kentucky, in 1804. In 1807 they moved to this vicinity, living for the first two years on the Hamer farm, and afterwards on the Findlay farm, near where the Dayton Manufacturing Company is now located. In 1812 they moved into town.
Leven Cottom, their son, born at Snow Hill, Maryland, March 3, 1793, in 1812, when nineteen years of age, commenced working for a physician here who was making castor oil, but had great difficulty in clarifying it. One day a man who had heard of his trouble called on him and offered to sell the secret for ten dollars, first showing that it could be done. The money was paid and the information given, when, lo! water alone was needed. Leven next worked for David Hawthorn, a brickmason and plasterer, making mortar and carrying the hod for sixty-two and a half cents a day, working from sunrise to sunset. He next farmed outlets. While thus engaged, H. G. Phillips, seeing that he was a worthy boy, gave him iron on credit with which to build a wagon, so that he could do hauling to and from Cincinnati. When the roads were good, sixteen barrels of flour or twelve barrels of whisky were a load for four horses. In 1828 he was engaged with the engineers on the canal at twelve dollars a month, and continued at that work until the officers, in a spirit of economy, reduced the wages to nine dollars, when he quit. He next worked for Messrs. Swain & Demorest, who had a commission house and wholesale grocery on East First Street. In 1832 he married Priscilla, daughter of William and Judah Tyler, and built a cabin on the farm which Mrs. Cottom inherited from her father, now owned by their sons, David and James. It is located on Salem Avenue, Dayton View, a short distance north of the terminus of the electric road. Leven Cottom died March 8, 1884. His wife died March 30, 1885.
William Tyler and Judah, his wife, came to Dayton after the War of 1812. They bought land in Harrison Township, which they farmed, and which was inherited by their daughter Priscilla. Their daughter Sarah married Thomas J. McConnell. William Tyler was a second cousin of John Tyler, who was elected Vice-President with General Harrison in 1840. Judah, William Tyler’s wife, died in 1856. Mr. Tyler died in 1861.
In 1805 James Grimes, his mother, and five sisters left Rockbridge County, Virginia, for Ohio, traveling in a wagon drawn by four horses. They crossed the Ohio River at Cincinnati, and in 1809 Mr. Grimes purchased Section 20 in Madriver Township, part of which he afterwards sold to William C. Davis. In 1811 Mr. Grimes loaded two flatboats on the Ohio River with produce for New Orleans, but on reaching that place was not able to sell to advantage, so went on to Cuba, where he disposed of his entire stock at a handsome profit and returned to Dayton in 1812, having been over a year making the trip. He married Edith Williamson, and had eight children. In 1816 he sold one hundred and sixty acres of Section 20 to David Duncan', and in 1852 the remainder of his farm to John Harries, and moved to Greenville, where he died in 1853.
Of the five sisters who came to Dayton with him in 1809, Betsy married Edward Newcom; Peggie, Mr. Campbell; Polly, Mr. Crawford; Annie, Mr. McConnaughey; Martha, Mr. Fulton.
William Huffman was born in Monmouth County, New Jersey, May 24, 1767, and on June 14, 1801, married Lydia Knott, who was also born in Monmouth County, January 19, 1779. They came to Dayton in 1812, and purchased a two-story stone house on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Third streets, where the Beckel House now stands. Mr. Huffman opened a general store, which he left largely in the care of his wife, while he devoted himself to looking after outside interests. They were active Baptists, and many of the first meetings of the Baptist Church in Dayton were held on the porch of their home. Mrs. Huffman died March 21, 1865, and Mr. Huffman January 23, 1866. They had four daughters: Mary Ann, who married the Rev. David Winters; Catharine (Mrs. Morris Seeley), Eliza J. (Mrs. Alexander Simms), and Lydia A., who married William Merriam, and had one son—William H. After Mr. Merriam’s death she married John Harries.
William P. Huffman, the only son, was born in Dayton October 18, 1813, receiving his education here. After leaving school he read law in the office of Warren Munger, Sr., for the purpose of better fitting himself for a business career. In the spring of 1837 he moved out to the Huffman Prairie, in Greene County, about six miles east of Dayton, and on October 18 married Anna M. Tate, daughter of Samuel Tate. In the spring of 1848 they returned to Dayton, and bought a home at the northeast corner of Jefferson and First streets, where they lived for many years, Mr. Huffman devoting himself to the real-estate business, banking, etc. He was much interested in public improvements, particularly in the Dayton and Springfield turnpike and the Cooper Hydraulic, and was one of the incorporators of the Second National Bank, and its president for many years. Mr. Huffman was for a long time before his death an active member of the Baptist Church, contributing generously to all calls for help. He was also a member of the board of trustees of Denison University, and chairman of the finance committee. In 1861 he erected a handsome residence on Huffman Hill, where he died July 2, 1888. Mrs. Huffman is still occupying the homestead. They had ten children.
Samuel Shoup, with his wife and family, came down the Ohio River on a flatboat, en route for Dayton, in 1810. While near Blennerhassett's Island a little boy was born, and named by the mother Joel Ohio, There were six children in all—Daniel, Samuel, Emanuel, George, Joel Ohio, and Sophia, the only daughter, who married Warren Munger, Sr.
Joel Ohio Shoup was married twice—first, to Margaret Worley. They had three children, all deceased. His second wife was Isabella Tate, and their family consisted of seven children—five girls and two boys. Three, the two oldest and the youngest, are dead.
Samuel Tate, Sr., was born near Milton, Pennsylvania, in 1796, and came to Ohio in 1818. He married in Pennsylvania Martha McCurdy, and they crossed the mountains on horseback. After reaching Dayton he rented Jonathan Harshman's distillery, which he ran nine years. He had to Bell the whisky in Cincinnati, and the only way to get it there was by wagon. He afterwards purchased the Hamer farm, better known as Tate's Hill, where he erected a distillery and resided until 1846, when his wife died, and he removed into Dayton. He had six children, of whom Mrs. William P. Huffman, Mrs. Belle Shoup, and Samuel Tate, Jr., are now living.
Mary A. Darst, daughter of Jacob Darst, was born near Shakertown, October 19, 1811. On May 10, 1829, she married Lorenzo Dow Cotterel, a farmer and grocer of Greene County, who died November 13, 1875. They had thirteen children, of whom six—three boys and three girls—are still living. Mrs. Cotterel's husband and five sons were in the War of the Rebellion at the same time. One boy, Abraham, at Fort Donaldson, when not nineteen years old, scraped the snow away to sleep on the ground beside a fallen tree. The next day a rebel boy, a prisoner, said to him, "I shot at you all day and could not hit you, so you take this gun and keep it." Abraham died from the effects of this exposure. Mrs. Cotterel, in her eighty-sixth year, is still living in Dayton, and is now engaged in making log-cabin quilts.
Before the War of 1812 one blacksmith could easily attend to all the work of shoeing the horses, repairing wagons, agricultural implements, etc., but at this time (1815) with increased work came increased competition, and Dayton boasted four blacksmiths—Obadiah Conover, Jacob Kuhns, James Davis, and John Burns.
Obadiah Burlow Conover was born April 12, 1788, on a farm in Monmouth County, New Jersey, adjacent to what is now known as "the Old Brick Church,'' near Middlepoint. He learned the trade of blacksmithing, and determined to emigrate to the West. In 1812 he located in Dayton, where he carried on his trade, manufacturing wagons, plows, and other farm implements. After the fire at Cooper's Mills in 1820, he was very much overheated, and jumping into the river for a bath, took cold, from which he never entirely recovered. He gave up his shop and opened a general store at the corner of Main and Third streets, after a time forming a partnership with E. D. Kincaid.
It was customary in Dayton for all merchants not only to sell domestic wine and whisky, but to keep a bottle standing on their counters where all could help themselves. In 1827 and 1828 the temperance question was agitated for the first time in this community, and being intimate with Mr. Conover's oldest son, Burlow, I was much about the store and heard many discussions between Mr. Conover and his friends. The question with him was, what to do with the liquor he had in his cellar. It seemed like a waste to let it run into the ground, but he felt he could no longer either sell it or give it away, so the bungs were drawn, settling once and for all the liquor question in that store.
The church records, unfortunately, prior to 1814 were not kept, but it is certain that Mr. Conover joined the First Presbyterian Church soon after coming to Dayton, and was elected an elder in June, 1823. On April 13, 1814, he married Sarah Miller, daughter of John Miller, an elder in the church. She was born in Kentucky October 20, 1794, came to Dayton in 1799, and died January 12, .1872.
Mr. Conover died January 6, 1835. They had eight children, two of whom died young. Burlow, the oldest, studied at South Hanover, Indiana, expecting to be a missionary in China, but died about the time of his graduating.
Harvey Conover, also a graduate of South Hanover, was a merchant for many years in Dayton, and also manufactured linseed oil in partnership with Daniel Keifer. He died in 1893, leaving six children.
Wilbur Conover, born May 10, 1821, graduated at Miami University in 1840, entered the office of Odlin & Schenck; and was admitted to the bar in 1842. In 1844 he and Robert C. Schenck formed a partnership, which was dissolved, and he entered into partnership with Samuel Craighead. On September 11, 1849, he married Elizabeth W. Dickson, who died September 27, 1868. Mr. Conover died October 3, 1881. They had five children, of whom Frank, an attorney in Dayton, is the only one living.
Obadiah M. Conover, a graduate of Princeton, was for many years professor in the college at Madison, Wisconsin, and during the last years of his life was law reporter for that State. He died in London, England, on the 29th of April, 1884, leaving three children.
Harriet Conover married, on September 28, 1852, Hiram Strong, who was born October 28, 1825, at Centerville, Ohio, graduated at Miami University in 1846, and was admitted to the bar in 1849. He was first in partnership with William W. Bartlett; afterwards with Hon. Lewis B. Gunckel. This firm was recognized as one of the leading law firms of Dayton. When war with the South proved inevitable, Mr. Strong was one of the first to give up business and offer his services, and in August, 1862, he was made lieutenant-colonel of the Ninety-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga, and carried by his men on a litter down the mountain to the hospital at Nashville. He died there October 7, 1863, leaving a wife and four young children, all of whom are living. As said most truthfully in an obituary published at the time of his death, "of the many noble men who have lost their lives in this war, there was no better or nobler than Colonel Strong."
Martha Conover married Collins Wight November 7, 1843. Mr. Wight was born in Barnard, Vermont, May 1, 1817, his father, Benoni Wight, having come to this country from the Isle of Wight. Collins was educated at the Norwich Military Academy, now West Point, and could have entered the United States Army had he so desired. When twenty-one he started west, walking the entire distance, giving lectures on astronomy and chemistry, and carrying his apparatus and instruments in a small, hand-made wooden trunk. He stopped in Dayton to lecture, and wandered into the academy building, where examinations were in progress for a successor to Mr. Barney. Being taken for an applicant, questions were asked and answered, and to his surprise the position was offered him. Mr. Wight accepted and spent the remainder of his life in Dayton, taking great interest in its progress and loving the home of his adoption. Martha Conover Wight died March 8, 1884. Mr. Wight died October 16, 1890, leaving three children. At the time of his death Collins Wight was engaged in the lumber business, in which his oldest son, Harry, succeeded him. Harry Wight married Hattie Campbell, and died December 23, 1894, leaving his wife and two little children—Barbara and Collins.
On November 11, 1813, the Dayton Manufacturing Company, the first bank in Dayton, was organized, and articles of incorporation prepared, by H. G. Phillips, J. H. Crane, William M. Smith, Henry Brown, Isaac Spining, John Ewing, J. G. Burns, Philip Gunckel, and Joseph Peirce. A meeting for the election of directors was held December 23, 1813, but nothing was done until 1814, when the board was elected as follows: H. G. Phillips, Joseph Peirce, John Compton, David Reid, William Eaker, Maddox Fisher, Charles Russell Greene, Isaac G. Burnett, Joseph H. Crane, D. C. Lindsay, John Ewing, David Griffin, and John H. Williams, and on July 4 John N. C. Schenck, George Groves, Fielding Gosney, and Benjamin Van Cleve were added to the directory. The board organized with H. G. Phillips president and George S. Houston cashier. A lot was purchased on the east side of North Main Street for two hundred dollars, and a stone house erected (now owned and occupied as a residence by Joseph Bimm) at a total cost of $2,600. Here the bank, with a capital stock of $61,055, opened its doors for business on August 18, 1814. Banking hours were from 10 A.M. to 1 P.M. The president was to receive a salary of one hundred and fifty dollars and the cashier four hundred dollars per annum. The vignette was an old-fashioned loom. The first loan recorded is "$11,120, to J. Dillon, Department Quartermaster-General, for the public service." During the winter of 1814 the one- and two-dollar bills issued by the bank were raised, the ones to one hundred dollars and the twos to twenty dollars—the first fraudulent money known in Day-ton. In 1816, small coin being scarce, the bank issued notes for fifty, twenty-five, twelve and a half, and six and a quarter cents, called change tickets.
Mr. Phillips resigned as president on November 10, 1814, when Joseph Peirce was elected, who served until his death, in September, 1821. Benjamin Van Cleve was then elected president, but lived only two months and was succeeded by Colonel George Newcom. James Steele was made president February 14, 1823. On his death in August, 1841, James Perrine was elected to fill that office, which he held until the bank closed its business in 1843. The cashier, George S. Houston, died in May, 1831, and was succeeded by Charles E. Greene. In that year the bank changed its name and took a new charter as "The Dayton Bank." This charter expired January 1, 1843, and as that was before the law granting renewal of charters went into effect the bank gave notice that it would not make any further collections, and asked depositors to withdraw all deposits. On January 3 the directors were made trustees, and Alexander Grimes agent to close up the business. In 1848 he made his final report, showing not a dollar to have been lost to note-holder or depositor. On February 25, 1843, the banking house was sold at auction to H. G. Phillips for $1,350.
On May 21, 1845, the Dayton Branch of the State Bank of Ohio was organized with a capital stock of three hundred thousand dollars, the directors being Peter Odlin, Alexander Grimes, C. G. Swain, Robert W. Steele, J. D. Phillips, Samuel Shoup, Warren Estabrook, David Stout, and Her-man Gebhart. Peter Odlin was elected president, and David Z. Peirce cashier. This bank continued to do business for twenty years, when it was reorganized as the Dayton National Bank. The first election of directors for the Dayton National Bank, at which nine directors were elected, was held February 7, 1865. The board was as follows: Peter Odlin, president; J. H. Achey, Horace Pease, G. W. Rogers, Harvey Conover, Herman Gebhart, Joel Estabrook, Dr. H. Jewett, and T. A. Phillips. C. G. Swain was appointed cashier. This bank received an extension of its charter in 1885.
On March 15, 1813, the mechanics of Dayton met at Hugh McCullum's tavern and formed the first workingmen's association. In the Ohio Republican of April 10 there was a call for the ladies who were disposed to aid in the establishment of a Bible society to meet at Mrs. Brown's on Wednesday afternoon, and on that day the Dayton Female Charitable and Bible Society was organized. The object was to distribute Bibles, and material comforts to the poor and sick. Each lady was to give a dollar a year for buying Bibles, and twenty-five cents quarterly for the charity fund. Mrs. Robert Patterson was elected president; Mrs. Thomas Cottom, vice-president; Mrs. Dr. Welsh, corresponding secretary; Mrs. Joseph H. Crane, recording secretary; Mrs. Joseph Peirce, treasurer. The Rev. Dr. J. L. Wilson, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Cincinnati, a noted man in his day, preached a sermon for the benefit of the society in the Methodist meeting-house on Sunday, the 25th of June.
In 1814 the rivers again became very high, and Dayton had the second flood of note. John W. Van Cleve several years later gave the following description: "The water was deep enough to swim a horse where the warehouses now stand at the head of the basin (First Street), and a ferry was kept there several days. The water also at that time passed through with a considerable current from the head of Jefferson Street to the east end of Market Street (East Second) through the hollow in the western part of the town, and the plain through which the feeder passes, east of the mill-race, was nearly all under water.''
On July 24, 1814, Dr. A. Coleman, of Troy, as secretary, in the Ohio Centinel calls a meeting of the Seventh District Medical Society at Major Reid's tavern on the first Monday in September. In the Republican of October 16, 1815, Dr. John Steele, secretary of the Board of Censors of the Seventh Medical District of Ohio, called a meeting of all "emigrant physicians who have commenced the practice of medicine within the limits of the district since 1812, to attend for examination."' On July 3, 1816, the first medical society of Dayton was formed, to meet on the first Mondays of April, July, and November, of which Dr. Steele was secretary.
In 1814 and 1815 the revenue of the county had increased to $3,280.51, and in 1815 there were over one hundred houses in the town. More room was needed for county offices, and the commissioners contracted with James Wilson for a brick building to be erected on the site of the present new Court-house, to cost $1,249. This building, standing three feet above the sidewalk, two stories, forty-six feet front, and twenty feet deep, was completed and occupied-in the spring of 1817. The first floor was paved with brick. In August, 1818, the Watchman rented the second story "at fifty dollars a year and free publication of the annual report of the treasurer and election notices." Later the county offices occupied the entire building.
At the age of nineteen the town began to put on airs, and concluded to have some fun as well as work. On February 13 there was a display of "wax works and figures," and the next year a play was advertised to be given at the dwelling of William Huffman, on Jefferson Street, on April 22, called "Matrimony; or, The Prisoners." The tickets were fifty cents, and gentlemen were respectfully requested not to smoke in the theater.
The first societies of a social nature were formed during this year. In July the Dayton Bachelors' Society was organized, with George S. Houston president and Joseph John secretary. The meetings were usually held in " Strain's bar-room," and the calls for meetings made through the Ohio Republican. This society was not long-lived, as the members gradually joined the ranks of the benedicts. On September 24 the president married Mary Foreman, and soon after the secretary, Joseph John, married Jane Waugh. John Steele was then made president and Alexander Grimes secretary. George S. Houston was also secretary of the Moral Society, organized at the Methodist meeting-house on July 22, with James Hanna president and William Ring, Henry Robinson, Matthew Patton, John Patterson, and Aaron Baker managers. The object of this society was "the suppression of vice and immorality, Sabbath breaking and swearing; to assist magistrates in the faithful discharge of their duties; but not to exercise a censorious authority over individuals." Quarterly meetings were to be held on the first Saturday of October, January, April, and July.
In 1815 the first structure for market purposes was built in the middle of East Second Street (called Market Street), about one hundred feet east of Main. It consisted of two rows of posts, with counters running lengthwise, covered with a roof, the eaves extending out for some distance beyond the posts. The counters in the middle were for the use of the butchers, and those under the eaves for the farmers and gardeners. Extending from the market to Main Street were two long horse-racks. There was a well and a pump in the middle of the street about fifty feet east of Main. This market was opened for business on the 4th of July, 1815, and market hours were on Wednesdays and Saturdays, from four to ten o'clock A.M. An ordinance, forbidding the sale of market products within the market space except during the regular hours, with a few exceptions, took effect April 1, 1816. After it was found necessary to have more market space, there was a struggle between the old location and Cabintown for the market-house, resulting in a victory for Cabintown. The first intention was to erect the building in the middle of Main Street, south of Third; but many were so dissatisfied with this plan that nothing was done until July 27, 1829, when it was decided to place the building in its present location. The additional property necessary to widen the alley was purchased for $1,196.20, and the Main Street end built first, the space toward Jefferson Street being reserved for market wagons. In 1836 the building was extended to Jefferson Street, and in 1845 a second story was added to the west half, to be used by Council, and for City Hall and Library. The building was used until 1876, when the present city buildings were contracted for. The old market on East Second Street was taken down in 1830. In 1838 an effort was made to hold market on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday in the early morning, and on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons, but it was not a success. For the morning market a bell would ring at four o'clock, and all who desired a choice cut of meat, and especially fresh vegetables, would hurry to the market on the tap of the bell. In 1830 William Clark was appointed by Council as clerk and marshal, on a salary of seventy-five dollars a year. At this time flour was five dollars a barrel, wheat seventy-five cents a bushel, a pair of venison hams fifty cents, butter twelve and a half cents, eggs eight cents. In January, 1817, wheat had gone up to a dollar a bushel, and flour to six dollars a barrel.