JOSHUA G. GALLOWAY, [pages 509-511] postmaster of the national military home, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Baltimore, Md., July 30, 1843. He is a son of Joshua and Elizabeth (Gorsuch) Galloway, both natives of Maryland, and born, respectively, in 1816 and 1822.
Joshua Galloway, who was a coppersmith by trade, lost his life at the age of thirty-three years, at the Relay house, on the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, in Maryland, he being at the time an engineer on the road. He was descended from a family of Scotch-Irish and Welsh extraction, who came to America prior to the war of the Revolution, in which war Aquilla Galloway, an ancestor, took an active part in liberating the colonies from the tyranny of Great Britain, and was also a soldier in the war of 1812. Of the four sons born to Joshua Galloway, William, the eldest, was killed at the battle of Beverly, in West Virginia, October 29, 1864, when his brother, Joshua G., standing at his side, caught him in his arms as he fell from his death wound; John was a volunteer in the Twenty-fourth Ohio infantry, served through the Civil war, is now a resident of Dayton and is employed as assistant foreman in the Globe Iron works; James was a soldier in the First Ohio volunteer infantry, and later in the Eighteenth regiment of volunteer infantry from the same state, was wounded at the battle of Stone River before he was fifteen years of age, and is now engaged as a repairer of machinery in Dayton.
Joshua G. Galloway was educated in the public schools of his native city, and also by private tutors. Upon coming to Dayton, Ohio, he began working in a paper mill when he was but eleven years of age. At the opening of the Rebellion he enlisted, in April, 1861, in company K, Eleventh regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, and served three months at Camp Dennison, Ohio, He next enlisted, in September, 1861, in company G, Forty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served in the battles of the mountains of what is now West Virginia and in eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, and in all of the engagements of his regiment, being with Gen. Burnside at the siege of Knoxville, Tenn., in the fall of 1863. Having received his second honorable discharge, he again enlisted while in the field, January 4, .1864, in the Eighth volunteer cavalry, company G, and served under Gen. Phil Sheridan in the Shenandoah valley, going through with Gen. Hunter to the conflict at Lynchburg. The scope of this biographical notice will hardly permit a full mention of the services rendered by Mr. Galloway as a soldier. Suffice it to say that, beside what has already been mentioned, he assisted at Cumberland Gap, fought against the rebel raiders, Rosser, Morgan, Jenkins, Moberly and others, and on January 11, 1865, was captured by a band of Rosser's men at Beverly, W. Va., when the entire Thirty-fourth regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry was also captured. After thirty-five days' confinement in Libby prison at Richmond, Va., he was released on parole, and found his way to Camp Chase, Ohio, where he was granted a furlough to await notice of his final exchange. In May, 1865, he was ordered to report at Columbus, Ohio, where he received his final discharge, on June 19 following.
After the war Mr. Galloway engaged with Barney & Smith as a painter in their car shops at Dayton, and subsequently became a molder in a foundry of the same city, a trade which he followed from 1870 until August, 1893. While thus employed he became deeply interested in the affairs of laboring men, and identified himself with the Iron Molders' union and for several years served as its president. Of this union he was a delegate to the national convention held at Saint Louis in 1888, and to the convention at Detroit in 1890; he also held the office of corresponding secretary of the Iron Molders' union for several years, and in every position proved himself capable and fully worthy of the confidence reposed in him by his fellow-craftsmen. Mr. Galloway was also appointed by the president of the Iron union of North America to represent that organization in the grand conference with the Manufacturers' association at Chicago, and having been one of the organizers of the Iron union and for a number of years a. member, his experience and ability made him a most efficient representative of its interests. The object of the formation of the Iron union is to secure the settlement of labor questions between employers and employees by arbitration rather than by strikes and turbulence, and in the advocacy of this humane and effective method of settling these troubles Mr. Galloway stands prominent.
September 12, 1865, Mr. Galloway was united in matrimony with Miss Clara J. Server, daughter of Jacob and Mary Server, residents of Montgomery county, Ohio, the father of Mrs. Galloway being a mechanic as well as a farmer. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Galloway have been born nine children, viz: Clara, employed in the post-office at the soldiers' home at Dayton; Lydia, a teacher in the Seventeenth district public school of Dayton; Ettie and Mellie, both students in the Dayton high school; Robert, Frank and Mary, who are in the Twelfth district school; George, who died at the age of five years and three months; and James, who died at birth. The family are identified with the United Brethren church.
In politics Mr. Galloway is a Jeffersonian democrat, but in the debatable field of taxation he decidedly favors the single-tax system. His first public position was that of superintendent of the Dayton employment office, which came to him without solicitation, and which he filled for fourteen months; he was next appointed, August 3, 1893, as postmaster of the national military home, which office is rated as third class and gives employment to four persons.
Fraternally Mr. Galloway is a member of Dayton lodge, No. 273, I. 0. 0. F.; of Old Guard post, No. 73, G. A. R., and is past colonel of encampment, No. 82, U. V. L. He has been identified with the Knights of Labor since 1876, is past master workman of district assembly No. 121, was its representative in the national assembly at Atlanta, Ga., in 1889; has been an active member of the Dayton Trades assembly since its organization in 1882, served four years as its secretary, and is energetic in establishing trades and labor assemblies throughout the state of Ohio.
Mr. Galloway's long and active connection with labor organizations has been instrumental in making him a careful and exact reader and a close student of finance, as also of parliamentary usage and of the perplexing labor problems of the day. He is an intelligent and enthusiastic advocate of the laboring man's rights—possessing the ability to present his views in such a manner as to carry conviction of his earnestness and sincerity. As a worker and public speaker among his co-laborers he stands in the front rank, as he did in defense of his country.
EDWARD A. FRY, [pages 511-512] member of the firm of Berk & Fry, undertakers, 127-129 East Fifth street, is a native of the city of Dayton, Ohio, where he was born March 23, 1842. His father, Henry A. Fry, a native of Pennsylvania, came to Dayton about the year 1830 and here married Miss Sarah M. Snyder, who was also born in the Keystone state. Henry A. Fry was for some years a furniture dealer and undertaker and is remembered as a successful business man in the early days of Dayton. He died in June, 1847; his widow survived him many years, departing this life at a ripe age in 1890. The Fry and Snyder families are of German descent and representatives of both came to the United States in ante-Revolutionary times, locating in Pennsylvania near the cities of Chambersburg and Harrisburg respectively.
The immediate family of Henry A. Fry consisted of two sons and one daughter, Edward A. being the third in order of birth. Charles H., the eldest of the family, is, at this time, a jeweler at Fort Worth, Tex., where he has been engaged in business since about the year 1886. He went south when a young man of twenty and was conscripted into the rebel army, with which he served during the greater part of the war of the Rebellion. The second child, Clara S., married a Mr. Phelps, a resident of Dayton and an extensive manufacturer of salt, his business being in the state of Kansas.
Edward A. Fry was five years old when his father died and his whole life thus far has been passed as a resident of his native city. His educational advantages embraced the curriculum of the public schools and his independent business career began in 1865, in October of which year, in partnership with W. H. McGowen, he embarked in the livery business. After spending three years as a member of this firm, Mr. Fry disposed of his interest and built a barn of his own, which he stocked throughout and operated with encouraging success for about ten years, selling out in 1878 and purchasing an interest in the undertaking establishment of Berk & Waymire.
This firm began business in Dayton in 1865, and is one of the leading establishments of the kind in the city, having much more than a merely local reputation as skilled and competent undertakers. Mr. Fry succeeded Mr. Waymire, and the style of the firm became Berk & Fry.
As a business man, Mr. Fry is gifted with good sense and judgment, and his success financially has been thoroughly deserved. His standing among the business men of the city is high, and he is warmly esteemed as a useful citizen and member of society. Across the street from his present business location, and upon the site of the old home where he was born, Mr. Fry has erected a fine four-story building for mercantile purposes, beside which he owns other valuable property in the city.
In politics Mr. Fry has always been a republican, keenly alive to the best interests of his party, but aspires to no official position; he is a member of the fraternity of Odd Fellows, and with his family attends the First South church.
Mr. Fry married December 3, 1868, Miss Sarah F. Warble, of Dayton, Ohio, daughter of Samuel and Caroline Warble. This union is blessed with two children—Fannie B., wife of John E. Weiffenbach, a wholesale grocer of Dayton, and Charles E., an employee in the electric department of the Dayton Fan & Motor company.
REV. JOHN BAPTIST FROHMILLER, [page 512] pastor of the Roman Catholic church of the Holy Rosary, at Dayton, Ohio, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1850, and at the age of two years was brought by his parents to America. He received parochial, seminary and college education, was ordained to the priesthood in 1875, and immediately thereafter was appointed assistant priest of the church of the Holy Trinity at Dayton. He served in this capacity until 1888, when he organized his present congregation in North Dayton, which now comprises a membership of 1,185 souls as communicants, and a parochial school where 175 children are instructed in elementary knowledge and receive wholesome religious training.
Since assuming his present pastoral charge, Rev. Father Frohmiller has erected a fine brick church edifice and parsonage at a cost of about $25,000 for the buildings and grounds. He, in person, superintended the construction of the buildings mentioned, and managed the financial expenditure necessary to carry forward the work to completion, and while he is too modest to claim any credit to himself for the good work already done, he is yet awarded great praise by the good people of Dayton for the noble task he has thus far accomplished and still continues to prosecute. The secular language of the church is German, and both German and English are taught in the school, and in connection with the congregation are the usual societies for the edification of the members and the promotion of true friendship and brotherly love.
CAPT. JOHN BIRCH [pages 512-516] is a familiar name in the business and commercial interests of the city of Dayton, especially in real estate and insurance lines. Capt. Birch has his office in the Canby building, on South Main street. He is of English nativity, was born in Manchester, April 17, 1836, and came to this country with his parents when a lad of only eight years, and spent his youthful days at Hamilton, Butler county, Ohio. His parents were Thomas and Ann (Turner) Birch, both natives of Manchester, England. His father was a skilled machinist, and was engaged in England in the manufacture of machinery used in cotton mills, and continued in the same business at Hamilton until 1852, when he removed to Brookville, Ind., and engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1857. He then located in this city, retired from active business, dying two years later at the age of fifty-six, his wife living to be six years older, and passing away in 1868. They had ten children, five boys and five girls. Three sons and three daughters are now living, the captain being sixth in the order of birth. The remaining five are: Thomas, in the gas and steam-pipe business in Cincinnati, the firm with which he is connected being known as the Stacey Manufacturing company; Jeffrey, a machinist in Covington, Ky.; Elizabeth, the wife of Samuel DeVou, having her home in Hamilton; Jane, the wife of John Brady, living at Coalton, Ohio, where her husband is postmaster; and Louisa, who married Theodore Titus, a locomotive engineer at Fort Wayne, Ind.
Capt. Birch learned in early life the machinist's trade, which has been his mainstay for many years. He began it under his father's eye while the family were still residing in Hamilton, and continued it after the family had gone to Indiana, where he completed his apprenticeship, so that when he came with his parents to this city he was ready to take a journeyman's position with Chapman & Edgar, only leaving their employ to enlist in April, 1861, in company C, First Ohio volunteer infantry. The regiment was ordered to proceed directly to Washington, and was among the first troops to enter the Confederate territory.
The young soldiers first heard rebel guns at Vienna, where their train was fired upon by an ambushed enemy. The regiment was in the disastrous rout at Bull Run, July 21, 1861, and its members relate with much gusto that it was one of the fleetest "runners" after the battle. This they can well afford to admit, for, with scarcely an exception, they afterward retrieved their reputation on many a hard-fought field of slaughter. When the First had completed its term of enlistment, it was mustered out, nearly all its members re-enlisting in other organizations for the war. for by that time the serious character of the struggle in which the nation was engaged had become apparent. Mr. Birch returned to Dayton, and enlisted a number of men to be known as the Fremont body guards. But on reaching Benton barracks, it was found that not enough men had been called together for this purpose, so all that he had brought became a part of the Thirteenth Missouri, and he was commissioned as second lieutenant of company K. Later on, when credit for enlisted men was claimed by every community sending volunteers to the front, the regiment was designated as the Twenty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, and with this organization his name is found. At Fort Donelson the regiment was conspicuous for its determined gallantry, and here John Birch began a long and honorable military career. He was at Pittsburg Landing, or Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, at the second battle of Corinth, at the capture of Vicksburg, and in several of the tremendous battles that preceded its surrender. The regiment was ordered to Little Rock, Ark., where it was engaged in guarding the railroad and in a general guerilla warfare with the scattered rebel bodies during the remainder of its service. May 14, 1862, Lieut. Birch received promotion as first lieutenant, and in August of the same year he received his commission as captain of company B, Twenty-second Ohio. He was mustered out of service at Camp Dennison, November 18, 1864. During his stay with his regiment he was detailed to many important duties, such as mustering officer for five months at Camp Dennison, and on the general court martial at Little Rock.
When Capt. Birch re-entered the ranks of the great army of peaceful labor, it was in the capacity of machinist in the employ of McGregor & Callahan, of this city. After being with them for several years, he received the appointment of foreman at the Phoenix Iron works, where his stay was also protracted. He was then chosen superintendent of the J. R. Brownell Engine department, and here he was active for four years, and for a fifth year was purchasing agent for the same institution. This completed his connection with mechanical pursuits, and on the first day of June, 1896, he opened his present office, buying and selling real estate, and doing a brokerage and insurance business.
The Birch family are strong, robust men, above medium height, and its members have generally taken a leading position wherever found. A brother of our subject, William, was a major in the Ninety-third Ohio infantry, and was killed in the battle of Missionary Ridge; another brother, Jeffrey, was also in the service, and was badly wounded in front of Atlanta; another brother, Joseph, died at the comparatively early age of twenty-six. Two sisters lived to maturity, and were happily married. Both are now deceased, Mrs. Mary M. Stevens dying March 1, 1896, at Louisville, and her remains resting in the cemetery at Dayton. The other sister, Mrs. Ann Bail, died at Turner Station, Ky., and is there buried. Capt. Birch, while acting as mustering officer at Camp Dennison, was "mustered" into the great army of matrimony, in September, 1862, Miss Ellen Brady being associated with him in this enlistment, whose term of service was, "so long as you two shall live." She was a daughter of Peter Brady, a well-known contractor of Dayton. Two children were born of this union, Clara May, the older, being the wife of Charles J. Geyer, business manager of the Dayton Evening Herald, and the mother of three children, Mercedes Grace, Bertram and Mary. Her brother, Thomas J., was a most promising and attractive young man, who lived to be only a little over twenty-one, dying July 20, 1888. Both were graduates of the Central high school, and the son had already won a good standing for himself as a traveling salesman, when his fatal illness came upon him. Capt. Birch is a member of the order of Chosen Friends, and of encampment No. 145, Union Veteran Legion. He is independent in his political affiliations, but, being an ardent temperance advocate, is desirous of the success of the party committed to that principle as its corner-stone. He was long associated with the republican party, but, of late years, has followed more closely the dictates of his personal judgment. Mrs. Birch is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
GEORGE H. GEBHART, [pages 516-517] member of the Dayton bar, was born in this city, November 5, 1867. He is a son of George A. Gebhart, junior member of the firm of S. T. & G. A. Gebhart, of Dayton. His grandfather was Judge Herman Gebhart, whose name is familiar to every one acquainted with the history of Dayton.
George H. Gebhart was educated in the public schools and the high school of his native city. Leaving the high school in the third year he entered the select school of John Truesdell, which was established in the fall of 1885, for the purpose of fitting young men, with thoroughness, for such colleges as they might wish to enter. In this school young Gebhart prepared for Yale college, and afterward spent one year in that institution and returned to Dayton. In 1888 he entered the Cincinnati law college, remaining there until 1890, when he was graduated, and in the same year was admitted to the bar at Columbus, Ohio. He next entered the law office of Gottschall & Brown as a student, remaining with them until 1894, and engaged in office work for the firm. Beginning the practice of law in Dayton, he has since continued with credit and success.
Mr. Gebhart was married in March, 1894, to Miss Daisie Brock, of Cincinnati, and to them a daughter has been born, named Ellinor. Mr. Gebhart is a young man of industry and ambition, and, being well educated in schools and colleges of high standing, he is well equipped for the work of an arduous and honorable profession.
GEORGE H. GEIGER, M. D., [page 517] is one of the well-known physicians and surgeons of Dayton, of which city he has been a resident since March, 1872. He is a native of Urbana, Ohio, was born April 14, 1849, and is a son of Judge Levi Geiger.
Levi Geiger is of German extraction, but descends directly from an old American family, extensively known throughout the country as prominent in the learned professions, especially in law, medicine and theology. He is most active as a member of the republican party; he has been a member of the bar of Champaign county, Ohio, for many years, and for five years has been an occupant of the bench. He married Miss Rosalinda Gleason, of Holmes county, Ohio, and by this union became the father of six children, viz.: Julia, wife of S. L. B. Stone, and Rebecca, wife of John Banta, both of Urbana; George H.; Charles L., who died in Urbana in 1895; Ida; still residing in Urbana, and Jessie (Mrs. Patton) of Greensburg, Pa.
Dr. George H. Geiger was educated in the public schools of his native city and at the Wesleyan university of Delaware, Ohio, and after graduating from the latter, entered a drugstore in Urbana, and later a store of the same class in Dayton, and was altogether about nine years in the pharmaceutical trade. He then read medicine with Prof. Pierce, of Urbana, attended the Starling Medical college of Columbus, and graduated from the latter in the class of 1872, when he at once located in Dayton and has since been one of the most active and useful practitioners of the city. Up to 1890 his time was given to general medical practice and surgical operations, and in this year he began to give especial attention to the treatment of disorders arising from the abuse of alcohol and of morphia. This branch of the profession he has since followed with a constantly increasing success. Dr. Geiger has an extended fraternal and societary connection, being a member of the Miami lodge, Knights of Pythias, Dayton division, No. 5, and surgeon of the Fourth regiment, uniform rank, Knights of Pythias; a member of Dayton lodge, No. 15, Order of Chosen Friends; and also medical examiner for each of these bodies. He also holds the same relation to the Michigan Mutual Life Insurance company at Dayton.
Dr. Geiger was married, June 21, 1869, to Miss Sallie A. Taylor, of Urbana. This marriage resulted in the birth of five children, in the following order: Frank L., now a machinist, of Middletown, Ohio; Charles H., a druggist, of Wheeling, W. Va.; Grace R., Parker G. and Helen J.
JONATHAN H. GERLAUGH, [pages 517-518] once a prominent but now a retired farmer, living on East Fifth street, Dayton, Ohio, was born in Beaver Creek township, Greene county, Ohio, March 10, 1823. He is a son of John Adam and Catherine (Hanes) Gerlaugh, both natives of Maryland. They were the parents of ten children, five of whom are still living, as follows: Robert W., of Warren county, Ill.; Arthur, of Greene county, Ohio; Jonathan H.; Frances, wife of Benjamin E. Clark, and Mary Jane, now Mrs. Emanuel Hawker.
John Adam Gerlaugh, who was a farmer by occupation, and a patriot soldier of the war of 1812, removed to Ohio in the fall of 1807, settling in Beaver Creek township, Greene county, where he bought land and lived the rest of his life, excepting a very short time, dying in Illinois in 1856, when on a visit to his son. He was then sixty-eight years and eleven months of age. His wife, who died about five years before him, was a member of the Lutheran church.
Adam Gerlaugh, the paternal grandfather of Jonathan H., was a native of Maryland and came to Ohio about 1807, entering three quarter sections of land in Greene county for all of his children. He, however, lived in another part of the county from that where he entered this land and died at an advanced age. The maternal grandfather was a native of Maryland, a farmer by occupation, and died in his native state.
Jonathan H. Gerlaugh was born and reared in Greene county. Receiving his education in the common schools, he remained at home until he arrived at mature years. He began life for himself by renting land of his father in 1855, but as his father died the next year, the property was divided among the children, and Jonathan continued to farm in Mad River township, where he lived twenty-two years. Then, removing to a farm a little above Chambersburg, he lived there until July, 1877, when he came to Dayton, which city has since been his home. He at first lived at the corner of Third and Van Lear streets, but later removed to his present home, where he owns eight acres of land and two houses. He erected his handsome brick residence in 1894. Mr. Gerlaugh owns two farms, one of 160 acres, well improved, in Darke county, Ohio, and one of seventy-seven and one-half acres about one and a half miles from Dayton, on the Xenia (Ohio) pike.
March 1, 1855, he married Miss Catherine Jane Lantz, daughter of John and Catherine Lantz. To this marriage there were born no children. Mrs. Gerlaugh died March 3, 1876, a member of the First Lutheran church of Dayton. For his second wife Mr. Gerlaugh married Miss Margaret Davidson, daughter of William and Ann Davidson, of Chambersburg, Montgomery county. To this marriage there have been born two children—Jonathan and Morton. The latter died at the age of thirteen. Jonathan is attending a commercial college. Mrs. Gerlaugh is a member of Linden avenue Baptist church, and is a most excellent woman. Mr. Gerlaugh is a republican in politics, and as such served one term as trustee of Mad River township. For seventy-three years he has lived within five miles of Dayton, and has always been an active, industrious and useful citizen.
CALVIN A. BONNER, M, D., [pages 518-522] of Dayton, Ohio, was born about two miles from the city of Dayton, in Van Buren township, on the 30th day of August, 1857, the son of John N. and Mary (Moler) Bonner, the former of whom died in 1884—the mother still surviving. John N. Bonner was also a native of Ohio, having been born on the same farm where his son first saw the light of day. His father, John Bonner, was one of the early pioneers of the state and contributed his part in reclaiming the now prolific and beautiful section where he located so many years ago. Calvin A. Bonner was reared under the sturdy and invigorating discipline of the farm, and his preliminary education was received in the district school and supplemented by a course of study in the graded schools. When he was seventeen years old he was unfortunate in meeting with an accident while engaged in his farm duties, which rendered him a cripple for about three years. During the first two years he was treated at home, and while obliged to use crutches, he nevertheless made practical use of the forge which his father had erected on the farm, as well as of the carpentering tools, and thus manufactured many useful articles demanded in connection with the farm work. One of his early enterprises was in the manufacture of Portland cutter sleighs, for which he found a ready demand. Being then sent to Indianapolis, Ind., for treatment, he there became a resident of the home of his uncle, who was a leading physician of Indianapolis, and under his effective direction devoted his attention to the study of medicine for the period of one year, after which he returned to his home and again resumed his connection with farm work and the forge. One day a casual visitor called on young Bonner, and found him at work at the forge. This caller, who was the proprietor of the Dayton Forge & Iron works, was impressed with the skill of the workman; and insisted on the young man's going with him to learn the business. He consented, and went to the city, where he was placed in charge of the engine and steam hammer in the above named establishment, thus becoming a competent operative.
After a period of about a year he was taken sick with typhoid fever and sent home. Upon his recovery he took charge of a portable engine, and continued at this work until the D. H. Morrison Bridge company built their new plant in Dayton, when he secured employment in operating the portable engine which supplied the motive power of that plant for some time. When a stationary engine was secured, he was retained in the capacity of engineer, continuing his connection with the industry for a period of about four years. The doctor is possessed of much mechanical ability, and his practical knowledge in this line would have insured to him a successful career in that direction had he chosen to devote himself to the same; During the time that he was employed in the Bridge works all his leisure hours were spent in continuing his studies in medicine, and during this time he furnished the capital to purchase a drug store in the city of Dayton, being associated in the enterprise with J. G. Sponsel, under the firm name of Sponsel & Bonner. He disposed of his interests in this establishment at the end of three years, having in the meanwhile devoted as much time as possible to the study of medicine, in connection with his pharmaceutical work. He continued as clerk in the drug store for one year after selling out, and then went to Milford, Ohio, and there assumed: charge, of a drug store, owned by a local 'estate, and conducted the business one year, after which he was for an equal length of time in charge of a drug store at Lawrenceburg, Ind. In May, 1884, at Saint Louis, Mo., Dr. Bonner was united in marriage to Miss Jeannette Charch, daughter of John S. Charch. In the latter part of the same year he returned to Dayton, and here, in the following spring, he effected the purchase of the drug business of W. E. Hooven, conducting it during a period of about five years. At the same time he continued his preparation for that profession which he had determined to adopt as his vocation in life. He pursued a thorough course of study in the Medical college of Ohio, in Cincinnati, graduating as a member of the class of 1890, most. admirably equipped for successful practice as a physician and surgeon. In 1891 he disposed of his drug business and has since given his undivided attention to his profession, having gained a representative practice and a large measure of success.
The doctor renders stanch allegiance to the republican party and its principles, and fraternally he is prominently identified with the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Foresters, the Knights of Pythias, Sons of Veterans, and the Patriotic Order Sons of America. He was one of the charter members of the Iola division of the uniform rank of the Knights of Pythias, and was the first member of the Dayton lodge to join the uniform rank of the Sons of America. Dr. and Mrs. Bonner became the parents of three children, two of whom are deceased, the survivor being a daughter, Mary Elizabeth.
THE GEM CITY STOVE COMPANY, [pages 522-523] located on Linden avenue, in Dayton, dates its inception back to March 17, 1884, when the now important industry was founded by Messrs. Henry R., Charles M. and August M. Gummer. In May, 1885, the business was incorporated with a capital stock of $23,000, which has since been raised to $100,000. At the time of the company's incorporation Henry R. Gummer was made president, Charles M. Gummer vice-president, and J. Lee Natches secretary. The last-named is now deceased, his successor as secretary of the company being A. J. Conover. The directors of the company are H. R., C. M., and A. M. Gummer, and S. D. and A. J. Conover. The enterprise now stands as the most extensive of the sort in Dayton, and the success which has attended it is the best voucher for the ability and the well directed efforts of its founders. When the industry was first established, the business was conducted on Taylor street, but in 1890 the plant was removed to the present location on Linden avenue, where better facilities were afforded for the prosecution of the business, which had largely exceeded its original proportions. This removal occurred in August, and in the following December the plant was destroyed by fire. Nothing daunted by this misfortune, the company at once began the work of rebuilding, and at the present time the great demands placed upon the institution cause the utilization of an aggregate floor space of nearly 125,000 square feet, the main building being five stories in height. The company manufactures the Clearmont cooking and heating stoves, and the Perfect gas ranges, the latter being in use from Maine to California, and the products of the establishment find sale in the most diverse sections of the Union, the superior character of the output being such as practically to test the capacity of the plant in meeting the demands placed upon it. Employment is afforded to a corps of 200 operatives.
When the Messrs. Gummer started in business, in 1884, they instituted operations upon a very modest scale, having only five men in their employ and personally giving their attention to the various practical and mechanical portions of the work. From this small nucleus the business has grown to its present magnificent proportions, the pronounced success which has marked the successive stages of progress standing in perpetual evidence of the thorough business principles upon which the enterprise is conducted. The average output of the establishment is 1,000 stoves each week, and this fact is indicative of the magnitude of the business controlled by the company.
The three brothers are natives of Dayton, and in the public schools of this city they received their educational training. Early in life they entered upon that industry which has made their success in the business world, securing employment in the stove works of Greer & King, with whom they remained until 1884, when they formed a partnership among themselves and engaged in business on their own responsibility. They are recognized as among the most active and energetic business men of Dayton.
Messrs. S. D. and A. J. Conover were also born and reared in Dayton, and are among the well-known citizens of the Gem City. S. D. Conover is prominently identified with the coal business of the city, with which line of business A. J. Conover was also identified for several years.
REV. FRANCIS JOSEPH GOETZ [pages 523-524] and the Holy Trinity congregation.—The clerical life of Rev. Francis Joseph is so closely interwoven with the origin and development of Holy Trinity Catholic congregation, of this city, that neither one could be satisfactorily complete without a sketch of the other. The main facts in connection with the origin of this congregation are therefore presented herewith. As early as 1858 it became apparent that the rapidly increasing Catholic population could not be properly ministered to by the parent congregation, Emanuel's, which was founded as early as 1833. The demand for another German Catholic church became imperative. Saint Mary's, on Xenia avenue, then comparatively a farming district, was organized. The out-of-the-way location was unsatisfactory to many Catholics who lived in the central and northern portions of Dayton, and they determined to have a congregation of their own. At first seemingly insurmountable obstacles presented themselves. But the sturdy and determined good men, under the leadership of the venerable pioneer Catholic, Henry Ferneding, who is now in his eighty-fifth year, seconded by Theodore Barlow, were never discouraged and persevered until their efforts were crowned with glorious success. With such stanch supporters of the cause as Lawrence Butz, Sr., Henry Hilgefort, Bernard Aike, Theodore Husche, Frank Fritsch and many others, success was assured. The serious undertaking of establishing a new congregation was undertaken and pushed to completion. No sacrifice was too severe, no burden too heavy. In 1860 the present site of the church, corner Fifth and Bainbridge streets, was purchased, plans drawn, the contract awarded to Bernard Lemper, and the erection of the present church, 60x135 feet in dimensions, and with a spire 200 feet in height, was begun. At that time these proportions seemed enormous, but the wise heads in the lead cared nothing for the adverse opinions of others, and since then the history of the church has fully vindicated them.
Long before the church was complete, the Most Rev. Archbishop Purcell invited Rev. F. J. Goetz to take charge of the new congregation. The youthful priest arrived in Dayton in May, 1861. They were just putting in the pews and erecting a temporary altar. After that time, a grand organ was purchased, the side altars built, the steeple finished, and the pastoral residence and two school-houses erected, Father Goetz all the while making collections from house to house.
In the beginning the congregation numbered scarcely 150 families. The Sisters of Notre Dame were engaged to teach the girls' school, which has ever since been under their charge. The boys' school was taught for a number of years by lay teachers, succeeded by the Brothers of Mary of the Saint Mary's institute, or Nazareth, of Dayton, Ohio.
August 15, 1886, when the silver jubilee of the congregation was celebrated, it was out of debt. The past history of the congregation can be summed up in the few words: "It is a grand triumph of true Christianity, and the Catholic faith which inspired the founders and lives in their progeny." The present trustees of the church are Henry Westendorf, John Ziegler, Jos. Lenz, George Lause, Theodore Lienesch, secretary and treasurer. The first secretary and treasurer of the congregation was Jos. Ferneding, who died in November, 1862. He was succeeded by C. J. Ferneding, who filled this position without compensation for a quarter of a century, when he resigned and the present incumbent was elected in January, 1887.
In February, 1851, Francis Joseph Goetz entered the seminary of Saint Sulpice, Paris, where he completed his philosophical and theological studies, and was ordained a priest August 15, 1855, in the chapel of Saint Sulpice, by the Rt. Rev. Bishop de Goesbriand. After celebrating his first mass in the village of his nativity, Sufflenheim, and preaching his first sermon there, he embarked for America October 22, 1855, reported to Archbishop Purcell, and was assigned to the congregation at Marges, Carroll county, Ohio, on February 1, 1856. From that time on he was active in the missions embracing Marges, Lodi, Canal Dover, Zanesville and Hessen-Huebel in Stark, Tuscarawas, Muskingum and Carroll counties, until September, 1858. The young but energetic priest overcame many severe trials in a heroic manner, until he arrived at Mount Saint Mary's of the West, Cincinnati, where he taught French, German and philosophy for several months. On the 15th of August, 1886, the congregation celebrated its silver jubilee, but prior to this, in 1871, Father Goetz was most instrumental in the organization of the order of the Knights of Saint George of Holy Trinity congregation. The care of the great congregation became now too much for one pastor. Hence, Rev. J. D. Kress was appointed assistant in 1872. He was succeeded by Rev. N. Nickels, of Saint Mary's institute, in 1874. In July, 1875, Rev. J. B. Frohmiller came and remained until 1888. He in turn was succeeded by Rev. B. Luebberman, who remained until 1890. The Revs. J. G. Franz and Herman Ellerbrock had charge of the congregation during a European tour of the rector. Rev. Ellerbrock remained until August, 1891. Then came Rev. P. Sigisbert Zarn, 0. S. B., who was assistant until 1894. The present assistant is Rev. Henry G. Kues.
The merits of Rev. F. J. Goetz as rector of the Holy Trinity congregation were of such high order that the present archbishop of Cincinnati, the Rt. Rev, William Henry Elder, made him the permanent rector of Holy Trinity congregation in December, 1894. He is respected and beloved by thousands in Dayton, regardless of religious creed, and all who know him wish Father Goetz, now past sixty-eight years of age, many more years of health and happiness and enjoyment of the fruits of his faithful and persevering labors in the vineyard of the Lord.
HENRY CELLARIUS [pages 524-528] is a native of the old town of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, in the province of Saxony, Germany, where he was born on the 29th of November, 1831. His father, a man of eminent ability, was Rev. H. F. E. Cellarius, who held distinguished ecclesiastical preferment as clergyman of the reigning prince of Schwarzburg. He was highly educated, was possessed of great literary attainments and thorough scholarship, being particularly well-read in the classical languages. A brother of Henry followed in the footsteps of his honored father, and is now a clergyman of the Lutheran church in Germany.
Henry Cellarius was reared in his native town, being afforded the best of educational advantages, beside enjoying the beneficial influences and surroundings of a home of culture and refinement. He began his studies as a child of five years, and completed his college course at the age of nineteen. In 1850, ambitious to make for himself a place in the world, he determined to seek his fortune in America. This project met with paternal opposition and discouragement, but the mother sympathized with the young man and lent her influence to aid him in effecting the object of his ambition. The first week of September, of the year mentioned, Mr. Cellarius landed at Castle Garden, in the city of New York. He recalls the fact that just an hour after the boat on which he took passage had reached that city, the great Swedish vocalist, Jenny Lind, arrived at the same place to begin a triumphal tour ever memorable in the musical annals of our nation.
From the metropolis Mr. Cellarius made his way to Memphis, Tenn., where he remained about one year, having there secured employment in a grocery store. From Memphis he came to Ohio and located in Cincinnati, in 1851, and there remained until 1858, filling a clerical position in a dry-goods establishment. In August of the year last named he came to Dayton, and this city has ever since been his home. Upon his arrival here he opened a dry-goods store for Bouck, Aley & Co., the establishment being located at the corner of Fifth and Wayne streets. He successfully conducted this enterprise for a few years, after which he accepted a position as salesman in the wholesale dry-goods house of Perrine, Lytle & Shaw, with whom he remained about four years, when, by reason of impaired health, he determined to return to his old home in the fatherland for a season of rest and recreation. He remained in Germany for a year and a half, but within this time failed to receive the looked-for benefit in the recuperation of his strength. After his departure for his native land his wife engaged in the millinery business upon a modest scale, and she was successfully carrying on this enterprise at the time of his return to the United States. After his health was restored Mr. Cellarius entered upon the same business, enlarging its scope and securing a representative patronage. He later engaged in the business of handling men's hats and caps and built up a lucrative trade, continuing operations in this line for a number of years. In the early 'sixties he became identified with the Dayton Building & Savings association, and was chosen president of the corporation. In 1870 he became secretary of the old Ohio association, and was successful in bringing its affairs into excellent condition before the business was brought to a termination, and afterward he was one of the chief promoters of the new Ohio Building & Savings association, being chosen secretary of the same. The Permanent Building & Savings association was organized April 4, 1874, and Mr. Cellarius was one of those chiefly instrumental in its establishment. Of this association, whose business is of extended and important scope and has been conducted upon the highest principles of commercial integrity and according to the most approved methods, our subject became the first secretary and has ever since held this position, his well-directed efforts having been most potent in furthering the prosperity of the association and gaining for it the confidence and support of the public. The president of the association is John Geyer; vice-president, Joseph Straub; and treasurer, Fred Ecki—the entire official corps being representatives of the substantial business interests of .the city.
In his political adherency Mr. Cellarius is a supporter of the principles and policies of the democratic party, while in his fraternal relations he is identified with the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
Mr. Cellarius was united in marriage to Miss Mary C. Haessig, of Cincinnati, in July, 1858. Mrs. Cellarius is a native of Switzerland, whence she emigrated to America with her father, in 1852 or 1853. To this union there have been born seven children, of whom five are living, namely: Herman F., Fred J., Augustus R., Lydia and Ida. The religious association of Mr. Cellarius and family is with the Lutheran church.
JOHN GEYER, M. D., [page 528] physician and surgeon of Dayton, Ohio, with offices at No. 330 South Wayne avenue, was born in Lindau, Austria, January 31, 1846, and is a son of Lawrence and Anna (Krater) Geyer. Dr. Geyer was well educated in the common and high schools of his native city, and at the age of twenty years emigrated to the United States, locating first in Boston, Mass., removing afterward to Newark, N. J., where he began reading medicine with Dr. Hickey. Later he attended the college of Physicians and Surgeons, of New York, for two terms, and still later, in 1876, graduated at the department of medicine of the Wooster university at Cleveland, Ohio. From that time until 1878 he was engaged in the practice of his profession in Pittsburg, Pa., and he then removed to Lawrence, Mass., where he remained until 1880, when he went to Muscoda, Grant county, Wis., where he spent five years. In 1885 Dr. Geyer located in Portsmouth, Ohio, and there spent eighteen months, making his final move to Dayton in the spring of 1887. During all these years he has been engaged in general practice, and with success, especially since he came to Dayton.
Dr. Geyer is a member of the Montgomery county Medical society, of the Ohio state Medical association, as well as of the Manchester Medical society, of New Hampshire, and the Wisconsin state Medical association. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows order, of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and of the Independent Order of Foresters. He is medical examiner for the latter two fraternities. In Dayton he has succeeded in building up a lucrative practice, being very popular with all classes, and especially so with the sick, because of his kindly and genial disposition.
Dr. Geyer was married at Newburyport, Mass., to Miss Lina B. Moeller, a Boston lady, and a daughter of Dr. Frederick Moeller. He and his wife are the parents of five children, as follows: Emma L., teacher of languages in Eufala, Ala., Union Female college, and a graduate of Wellesley college; Bertha; Albert, deceased; Annie and Carl. He and his wife are communicants of the Third street Lutheran church, and take an active interest in religious matters. The doctor was the first of his family to come to the United States, but since he came three of his sisters have followed him and all are well pleased with their choice of a home in the land of the free.
CURTISS GINN, M. D., [pages 528-529] one of the youngest physicians and surgeons of Dayton, was born in Miamisburg, Ohio, in 1872. He is a son of Dr. Charles F. and Harriet (Whitmore) Ginn. Dr. Ginn was educated first in the public schools, attended Oberlin college for three years, and after graduating from that institution went to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1890, and there entered the office of Dr. Biggar, with whom he was a student during his entire stay in Cleveland, being at the same time a student in the Cleveland Medical university, from which he graduated in 1895. His aim has always been to be a general practitioner, and with the careful preparation which he has made and the determination which he brings into his profession, Dr. Ginn will doubtless prove a valuable addition to the medical fraternity of Dayton. He has given much attention to surgery, and is a member of the Montgomery county Homeopathic Medical society and also of the Miami valley Medical society. Fraternally, Dr. Ginn is an Ancient Free & Accepted Mason. He is one of the progressive, active young physicians of Dayton, and is rapidly acquiring a good practice. He is the first interne of the Deaconess hospital, and has been connected therewith since April, 1895. He was appointed attending surgeon on the homeopathic staff of the Deaconess hospital in April, 1896.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page