CHARLES S. KING, [pages 626-627] dealer in coal, feed, lime, etc., of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Harrison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, February 12, 1851, and is a son of William B. and Louisa P. (Spinning) King. The father, William B., was born in 1822, in what is now a portion of the city of Dayton, and the mother, two years his junior, is also a native of Montgomery county. The grandparents of Charles S. King, on both sides, were early settlers of this section of Ohio, and the great-grandfather, King, was one of the first settlers in the territory now embraced within the limits of Dayton.
To William B. King and wife have been born nine children, of whom five only are now living, viz: Jennie, wife of E. A. Townley, who is engaged in mercantile business in Terre Haute, Ind.; Charles S., whose name opens this biography; Elizabeth, who is still unmarried and resides with her parents; Susan, who is married to Charles Allen, a farmer and gardener, residing in Springdale, Ohio; and Louisa (Mrs. William Day), of Dayton. Of the four deceased, Mary, Herbert and Allie died in childhood, and Wilmer Gurley died in Dayton in 1885.
Charles S. King passed the earlier part of his life on his father's farm in Harrison township, and was educated in the common schools. While still quite young he was employed to assist in constructing the Home avenue railroad, and six months after its completion was appointed a conductor and then superintendent, continuing in this capacity for over seventeen years. In 1888 he engaged in the coal trade, and in 1890 established his present business, which is now quite extensive.
November 5, 1874, Mr. King was united in marriage, at the national military home, with Miss Anna J. Miller, daughter of Mrs. E. L. Miller, matron of that institution. Mrs. Miller was connected with the United States sanitary commission during the Civil war and has largely devoted her life, throughout that struggle and since its close, to the care and comfort of the brave men who defended the Union. Miss Miller, now Mrs. King, was educated in Philadelphia, Pa., Chicago, Ill., Green Bay, Wis., and Columbus, Ohio. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. King have been born two sons and two daughters, who are, Carl Spinning, Lloyd Stanley, Emma Louise and Marguerite. Mr. and Mrs. King are members of the Fourth Presbyterian church, and have reared their children in the same simple, but rigid, religious faith. Mr. King is a deacon and trustee of this congregation and his father, William B. King, is an elder in the same church. In politics Mr. King is a republican, but is not aggressive as a party man and has never been an office seeker.
Of the children of Mr. and Mrs. King, the eldest, Carl, has until recently been an assistant to his father in his business. Lloyd, the second born, is a pharmaceutist and is employed by a drug firm of Dayton; the elder daughter is a student in one of the city schools, and the younger daughter is now a child of four years. The King family have for several generations been important factors in the development of the material interests and the social life of Dayton, and the name is especially identified with the growth and improvement of that section of the city lying west of the Miami river.
HENRY KLEPINGER, [pages 627-628] proprietor of the Dayton Leather & Collar company, the business of which is located on Second street, resides in Madison township on a farm, and is considered one of the solid men of Montgomery county. He succeeded his son Charles in the enterprise in which he is now engaged, and which was established in 1853. It is one of the most prosperous concerns in the city of Dayton, being employed in the manufacture of horse collars, leather nets and leather specialties of numerous kinds, which find a market throughout the central and southern states. This business is under the management of Charles Klepinger, son of Henry Klepinger, who was born on the home place in Madison township, December 16, 1865. He received his preliminary education in the public schools of Dayton, and later took a course of study in the Miami Commercial college, remaining at home until he was twenty years of age. Then accepting a position as bookkeeper with Claude M. Mitchell, he served in that capacity for six years, after which, in company with George K. Hill, he succeeded to the business of Mr. Mitchell, then on Second street, and which consisted of the manufacture of collars. These two gentlemen continued as partners until January 1, 1895, when Charles Klepinger took the entire business, and in August, 1895, it was removed to the present location, Charles having then been succeeded by his father, Henry Klepinger, as owner of the establishment.
Charles Klepinger was married October 3, 1893, to Miss Etta May Anderson, of Dayton, and a daughter of J. I. Anderson. They have one child, Edith M., and reside at No. 52 McOwen street, Dayton, Ohio. They are members of the United Brethren church, and Mr. Klepinger is one of the popular and progressive young men of the city of Dayton, and the manager of one of its most successful commercial industries.
GEORGE MONROE LEOPOLD, [pages 628-631] a leading member of the Dayton bar and member of the Ohio legislature, representing Montgomery county, was born August 22, 1864, at the little town of Trotwood, in Montgomery county, Ohio. His parents are Charles W. and Lucretia (Lutz) Leopold, both natives of the Shenandoah valley, Virginia. They came to Ohio in 1863, locating in Montgomery county, and have since resided here.
The paternal grandfather of Mr. Leopold was born either in Virginia or North Carolina, his people having been North Carolinians. He was educated for the ministry, but, following the death of his wife, whom he had married in Maryland, he abandoned the ministry and went to the gold fields of the west, where he resided until his death. The maternal grandfather of our subject was a native of Pennsylvania, his family being Pennsylvania Dutch. From Pennsylvania he removed into the Old Dominion.
George M. Leopold spent his boyhood days in Perry township, Montgomery county, and attended the country public schools, being in school, generally, only a few months in each year until he reached the age of thirteen, when he was able to provide himself with books and other necessaries, and attended school more regularly. He continued in school until he reached his seventeenth year, when he secured a license and a country school and began teaching, which he continued for seven years. During that period he attended the normal school several summers, and later read law with S. H. Carr as his preceptor. In 1891 he came to Dayton and began reading law regularly in the office of Mr. Carr, and in June, 1892, was admitted to the bar. He at once entered the law office of Judge C. W. Dustin as an assistant to that gentleman, and so continued for nearly two years. He then formed a partnership with W. G. Powell, under the name of Leopold & Powell. This firm is now prominent among the younger members of the local bar.
In the spring of 1895 Mr. Leopold became a candidate at the county republican primary election for the nomination of representative in the Ohio legislature, in which two members were seeking renominations, and Mr. Leopold was successful. The contest was an earnest one and was carried on night and day from the beginning until the end, and the fact that Mr. Leopold was a new man in the field, and without experience as a candidate, made his success quite an achievement, and one particularly pleasing to himself and his friends. At the ensuing election he led the legislative ticket, another noteworthy fact, as he was practically unknown in the county, save in a few townships, previous to the primaries. In the legislature Mr. Leopold was assigned to the following committees: Railroad and telegraph, elections, fish culture and game, and claims. During the session of 1896, in the contested election case, by which Charles Q. Davis, of Franklin county, was unseated, Mr. Leopold made the principal argument for the committee on elections, in an address which gained him quite a reputation, and from that time on he was prominent throughout the session, taking part in most of the debates on the floor. Mr. Leopold has taken part in political campaigns as a stumper since he was twenty-one years of age. During the heated campaign of 1896 he made numerous addresses, both in Montgomery and other counties, his work on the stump being very effective, as he made a careful and thorough study of both the money and tariff questions. As an attorney Mr. Leopold has been very successful. For several years he has been quite prominent in fraternal circles. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Knights and Ladies of Honor, the Ancient Essenics, Heptasophs, Foresters, Royal Foresters and Robin Hood. He is deputy supreme chief ranger of the Independent Order of Foresters and supreme secretary of the Ancient Order of Robin Hood.
On July 12, 1888, Mr. Leopold was married to Hattie, the daughter of Joseph and Mary Baker, of Louisburg, Preble county, Ohio, and to this union the following children have been born: Joseph F., Robert B. and Dorothea.
HENRY KISSINGER, [pages 631-633] superintendent of the Free Public Employment bureau of Dayton, is a native of this city; within half a block of the present location of his business office is the place of his birth, which occurred December 21, 1844. He is a son of the late Henry and Permelia (Slaight) Kissinger, his father having been born in Franklin county, Pa., in the year 1805, and his mother at Trenton, N. J., five years later. In the year 1825, the father came to this city and established himself in a business that was to continue for more than fifty years. He was a merchant tailor, and had a long and honorable career, both as a business man and as a citizen and neighbor. The mother came overland to Dayton when a child of only two years, and grew to young womanhood in this city, where in due time she was married. Both father and mother were closely identified with all the interests of early Dayton, being among its older settlers, and they had many an interesting story to tell of the trials and difficulties that befell the new comers who were laboring to build a great city in what was then largely a rugged wilderness. Their family consisted of five sons and two daughters, all but one of whom are now living: Charles H., the eldest son, is a resident of Dayton. He was a soldier in the Union army, enlisting in the First Ohio volunteer infantry, for three months, and afterward serving a year in another regiment from this state. Samuel died when sixteen years of age, in 1855; Lucy A., wife of John Black, has a pleasant home in Marshalltown, Iowa; Henry was the fourth child in this family, and Thomas E., the fifth, is a machinist at Buchanan, Mich.; Permelia, bearing her mother's name, is a teacher in the city public schools, while Alexander B., the youngest son, is a watch-man in the city. The father was called above March 31, 1870, his wife surviving him about twelve years.
Mr. Kissinger, the subject of this writing, grew to manhood in this city, receiving such educational advantages as the city schools afforded, and had begun life for himself as apprentice at the tinner's trade, when the call of his country took him to the battle front, the date of his enlistment being August 7, 1862, when he was enrolled as a member of company B, Ninety-third Ohio volunteer infantry. With this organization he became a part of the army of the Cumberland under the command of Gen. Rosecrans, and was in the great battles of Stone River, Liberty Gap, Chickamauga, and Missionary Ridge. Here he received a disabling wound, and was under a long and painful treatment in the hospital at Chattanooga. He returned to the front, but was not thought fit for active service, and was detailed for light duty, and thus completed his term of enlistment, being mustered out at the close of the war, July 17, 1865.
With the dying out of the storm of war, Henry returned to his interrupted apprenticeship, and finished up his engagement, thoroughly mastering the tinner's trade; but after learning it, did not see fit to follow it. He found a desirable opportunity in the stove business, which he pursued for a time. Greer & King, largely engaged in the stove foundry trade, desired his services, and made him such offers that he entered their employment and remained with them for more than fifteen years. He left them to accept the position of assistant superintendent of carriers in the Dayton post-office. A change of administration threw him out of office before he had completed quite three years of service, and he entered the trunk factory of E. B. Lyon, remaining there for a period of four years. For one year he was guard in the city work house; after which he was appointed by Gov. McKinley to his present position, and was re-appointed by Gov. Bushnell, and now has served about four years. The office was created for the purpose of finding employment for the vast number of men who have in recent years been thrown out of the ranks of bread-winners, and are unable of themselves to find labor, and cannot afford the expense attending an ordinary private bureau, or "intelligence office." Mr. Kissinger is one of five men holding this position in the state of Ohio, the others being located at Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Toledo. Since this office was instituted, April 28, 1890, over 25,000 persons have received material aid through it in finding employment.
Mr. Kissinger was married October 30, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Waymire, a native of Dayton and a daughter of Daniel Waymire, long a prominent contractor in this city. She was reared and educated in the Gem City, and took a prominent part in social and church activities, having been especially concerned in the temperance reform and in all city charities. She was a member of the Third street Presbyterian church from her twelfth year, and was also a charter member of the Old Guard, W. R. C., in which she always took great interest. Her husband and children and a wide circle of friends mourn her untimely death, which occurred November 30, 1894. She was the mother of four children, of whom the eldest, Marianna, is the wife of W. H. Russell, of this city; Charles William is engaged in a city carpet store; Walter Conner is also in the city, a machinist in the Cash Register factory; and Harry Wood is traveling in the west.
Mr. Kissinger has been an active and influential member of the Grand Army from the date of its organization. He has rendered active assistance in the establishment of two posts, and holds his membership at present with the Old Guard post in Dayton, of which he is past post commander. He is a familiar figure at the national encampments, and on several occasions has served on the national staff as aid-de-camp. In 1895 he was elected senior vice-commander of department of Ohio, and, though not a candidate for the office, received a very complimentary vote for department commander in 1896. For the last twelve years he has been prominently associated with all department affairs of the Grand Army, and is now a member of the council of administration. He is a member of the order of Essenic Knights, a social organization in Dayton. Politically he works with the republican party, and has always been active and strenuous in advocating its principles. The prominent positions he has held in the Grand Army organization entitle him to bear the honorary title of colonel. The serious injuries that he received in the war, which are noted above, have put him on the pension list, as one deserving well of his country.
ROBERT EVERETT KLINE, [pages 633-634] surveyor of Montgomery county, was born in Miamisburg, in that county, February 17, 1868, and is a son of John H. and Mattie (Stanfield) Kline, both of whom are still living. The former was born in Pennsylvania and the latter in Greene county, Ohio, her family being quite prominent there. Her uncle, Isaac M. Barret, was a state senator for several years. Her brother, Samuel Stanfield, is a surveyor, as were also his uncle and his grandfather. Four children of John H. Kline and wife are living: Charles, a student at the Ohio State university; Walter, a student at the college of Physicians and Surgeons, New York city; Robert Everett and Hubert, a student in the Steele high school at Dayton.
Robert Everett Kline passed his boyhood and received his early education at Salem, Montgomery county. Having passed successfully through a high-school course of study, he began teaching school in 1886, and taught one year. In 1887 he entered Otterbein university and was graduated from this institution in 1892, with the degree of bachelor of arts. In 1893 he entered Harvard college, having been granted a scholarship for excellent work previously done at Otterbein. After one year's study at Harvard he was graduated with honors with the degree of bachelor of science, civil engineering having been his principal study while there. From 1889 down to the present time (1897), he has been continuously occupied in his profession, that of civil engineering, showing his proficiency and skill on many occasions. One of these was while he was yet at Otterbein, when he made a complete plat of Westerville. By means of work done during vacations, young Kline earned sufficient to pay his expenses in college.
Immediately upon graduation he was employed as special engineer in the construction of sewers in Dayton, having charge of the construction of the sanitary and storm sewer systems of the city. Upon the completion of this work he was called to Hamilton to take charge of the construction of the sewer system of that city, and while engaged in Hamilton became a candidate for the office of surveyor of Montgomery county. His canvass for the nomination was a remarkable one, he securing the nomination over three opponents, and by a majority of 250 over all. At the election he received a majority of 1,600 and took possession of the office in September, 1895, the term being for three years.
Mr. Kline was married June 4, 1895, to Agnes L. Lyon, a daughter of Calvin H. Lyon, a member of the firm of McHose & Lyon, of Dayton. Mr. Kline is a member of the camp of Sons of Veterans, of Dayton, his father having served in the army of the Union as a private soldier in company K, Second regiment, 0. V. I., for three years, and then for a short time in company B, One Hundred and Eighty-fourth regiment, 0. V. I. He is also a member of the Foresters, of the American Mechanics, and of the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Kline's career has been, for so young a man, very creditable and somewhat remarkable, and bids fair to be in the future one of unusual brilliancy and success.
JOSHUA R. McCALLY, M. D., [page 634] physician and surgeon of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Auglaize county, Ohio, August 15, 1863. He is a son of Albert and Sarah (Brackney) McCally, both of whom are now deceased. The family is of Irish and English descent, and is a numerous one in the central states of the Union. Albert McCally, the father of Dr. McCally, was a teacher and an agriculturist during his lifetime. He was a Methodist in religion, and quite active in politics as a republican. He served in the army of the Union as sergeant for one year, toward the close of the war. His educational labors were performed principally in graded schools, in which he was unusually successful. He and his wife reared a family of six children, as follows: Lydia, wife of Frank Idle, of Auglaize county, Ohio; Marco, a farmer of Shelby county, Ohio; Joshua R.; Lyman, an insurance agent, with residence in Dayton; Charles, a teacher in the schools of Wapakoneta, Ohio, and Gilbert, a student at Otterbein university, at Westerville, Ohio. The mother of these children died, and the father married a second time, by his second marriage having three children, as follows: Curtis, a telegraph operator; Clifford, a student at Ohio Wesleyan university, and Homer, living at home.
Joshua R. McCally, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the public schools, and afterward in the normal school of Valparaiso, Ind., and was in attendance for two terms at the Ohio Wesleyan university, at Delaware. Having secured a good education, he taught school for seven years. He began reading medicine while in attendance at the Delaware university, his preceptor being Dr. A. P. Van Trump, of Saint John's, Auglaize county, Ohio. Afterward he attended the Eclectic Medical institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in the spring of 1890. Immediately afterward he located in Uniopolis, Auglaize county, Ohio, and remained there for three years, after which he removed to Dayton, Ohio, in July, 1893. Here he has established himself in a lucrative practice, and is one of the progressive and rising young physicians of the Gem City of Ohio. He is a member in good standing of Harner lodge, No. 167, F. & A. M. On September 23, 1886, he was married to Miss Nannie Gnagi, a daughter of John and Susannah Gnagi, and to this marriage there have been born two children, Grace and Ward. Dr. and Mrs. McCally are members of the United Brethren church, active in religious work, and highly esteemed as members of society circles in Dayton.
GEORGE C. LAUTENSCHLAGER, [pages 634-637] member of the Dayton city council from the Third ward, and who is one of the leading and best known citizens of North Dayton, was born in Dayton, March 17, 1862. His parents were George J. and Catherine (Fromm) Lautenschlager, both of whom were born in Germany. They emigrated to the United States in 1855 and 1856 respectively, came direct to Dayton and were married in this city, where Mr. Lautenschlager was engaged in the furniture business for about fifteen years. He was a well-known and respected citizen, and died in April, 1884, in his forty-sixth, year. His widow survives him, and is now living in Dayton.
George C. Lautenschlager was reared in Dayton and was educated in the public schools of that city. At the age of sixteen years he began his business life as a clerk in a drug store. In 1881 he went to Cincinnati and took a course in the Pharmaceutical college, and returning to Dayton he opened and conducted a pharmacy on the corner of Brown and Oak streets. In 1892 he located in North Dayton and opened a drug store and pharmacy, and in June, 1894, he removed to his present location, at No. 226 Valley street, his being the leading drug store in North Dayton.
Mr. Lautenschlager was married, November 14, 1883, to Augusta Roemhildt, who was born in Dayton, and is a daughter of Bernhardt Roemhildt, a music dealer of this city. To this marriage there have been born three children: Harry, Thurman and Bessie. Mr. Lautenschlager has always been interested in political matters, and has taken an active part therein as a democrat for several years. In the spring of 1895 he was nominated for the office of councilman from the Third ward and was elected for a term of two years. Fraternally he is a member of the National Union, and also of the Jackson club, a political organization named in honor of Andrew Jackson.
WILLIAM KUNTZ, [pages 637-638] engaged in the grocery business at No. 1405 East Third street, Dayton, was born about one-half mile north of the city, in Mad River township, Montgomery county, Oyo, March 28, 1866.
Joseph Kuntz, father of William, was born in Alsace, France, February 17, 1832, came to the United States before he was twenty years of age, and settled in Montgomery county, Ohio, where he had friends, and went to work at farming. October 7, 1855, he married Magdalene Wolf, a native of Germany, born July 16, 1834, who came to America about the same year her husband reached this country, and for two years lived in Cincinnati, whence she came to Dayton, where the two were shortly afterward married, the result being the birth of ten children, viz: John, Joseph, Maggie, Katie, George, William, Frank, Magdalene, Mary and Clara, all living in Montgomery county, and all married excepting the youngest. After marrying, Mr. Kuntz purchased twenty-seven acres of land and began gardening, afterward adding a twelve-acre-tract, situated on the city corporation line, and. on which were two dwellings and a store. Mr. Kuntz now also owns several houses within the city limits, and is a substantial citizen. In politics he is a stalwart democrat, and has held the office of supervisor of Mad River township. In religion, he and his wife are Roman Catholics, and are members of the Holy Rosary congregation.
William Kuntz was reared on his fathers' homestead and was educated in the parochial schools. November 13, 1888, Mr. Kuntz married Miss Annie G. Kinzig, who was born in Mad River township in October, 1868, a daughter of Valentine Kinzig, a native of Germany, now residing in Dayton and in business as a butcher. Mr. and Mrs. Kuntz are now the parents of two children—Victor, born December 4, 1889, and Leona, born December 29, 1893. Upon marrying, Mr. Kuntz settled in Dayton and opened a retail grocery store at No. 1421 East Third street, remained there three years, and then purchased the property at the corner of East Third and Beckel streets, converted the dwelling thereon into a combined dwelling and store, and has been doing a successful business ever since.
Mr. Kuntz is a member of the Catholic Knights of Saint John, commandery No. 104, was formerly paymaster of the Seventh battalion and also filled some minor offices, and since January 30, 1896, has been major of the Third Ohio regiment of the order, which was organized at that date. As an indication of the esteem in which Mr. Kuntz is held, it may be related, that, during the national convention of the Catholic Knights of Saint John, held at Dayton, in June, 1896, a Dayton merchant offered a handsome gold-mounted sword and belt, to be voted to the most popular sir knight in Dayton. In this contest, 5,885 ballots were cast for Mr. Kuntz—the next highest vote being 4,464, and Mr. Kuntz carried off the prize. Commandery No. 104, the first Catholic uniform organization to be founded in the United States,' celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary April 24, 1896, and of its banquet Mr. Kuntz had the sole supervision. He has also represented the order as its delegate to its national conventions at Columbus, Ohio; Fort Wayne, Ind.; Toronto, Can.; Pittsburg, Pa.; Buffalo, N. Y.; Evansville, Ind., and Dayton, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Kuntz are members of the Holy Trinity Catholic congregation, and both are greatly respected within and without the pale of their church.
GEORGE F. KRUG, [pages 638-639] the well known and popular grocer, at Nos. 28 and 30 South Main street, Dayton, has been a resident of the city since 1853, having been born in Minster, Ohio, a son of George and Barbara (Ruse) Krug, both natives of Germany.
George Krug, the elder, was eighteen years of age when he came to America with his parents and their family, landing at Baltimore, Md., whence he and his brother walked to Minster, Ohio, having in their possession a capital of $3 at the time of their departure, and at the time of their arrival in Minster being still the possessors of $2. The remainder of the family came by stage and boat as far as Cincinnati, and thence they walked to Minster, where the father secured a small tract of land in the woods, on which he erected a small dwelling. The elder sons found work upon the construction of the Erie canal and the Dayton & Springfield pike. George next went to Cincinnati, near which city he was employed as a gardener for several years, and for a few years longer carried on the same business on his own account. In 1853 he came to Dayton and bought a farm of 120 acres on the Wolf creek road, where he engaged in farming and gardening until 1870, when he purchased property in the city. Here he resided in retirement until his death, in 1876, at the age of sixty years, in the faith of the Roman Catholic church. His wife survived until 1888, when she died, in the same faith, at the age of sixty-three years. To George Krug and wife were born eight children, viz: Mary, now widow of L. H. Miller, of Indianapolis, Ind.; John H., a dairyman, on the old homestead; Carrie, deceased; Frank L., of Dayton; George F., whose name opens this biography; Elizabeth; Clara, who died in a convent, and Barbara, a nun, at Oldenburg, Franklin county, Ind.
George F. Krug was reared on the home farm and was educated chiefly in the parochial schools of his diocese. At the age of twenty years he began clerking in a grocery store in Dayton, and held his position for eight years, when, in 1878, he opened business on his own account at his present stand, but at that time occupied but a. single room. By strict attention to the wants of his customers and by an intelligent devotion to the details of his business, he was able, in 1883, to purchase the adjoining room and to throw the two rooms into one. This grocery he has made one of the best in Dayton, and carries a full line of staple and fancy goods, including baker's stock and confectionery, making a success seldom achieved in so short a time.
The marriage of Mr. Krug took place in 1877, with Miss Tillie Stoffel, daughter of George Stoffel, this union resulting in the birth of three children, of whom George A. and Albert L. are still living, and Marie is deceased. The parents are devout members of the Roman Catholic church, and have a delightful residence at No. 414 South Ludlow street. Mr. Krug deservedly stands prominent among the successful young men, of whom Dayton boasts so many in the avenues of trade.
DR. OSMER W. LOUNSBURY, JR., [page 639] physician and surgeon, of No. 135 West Fifth street, Dayton, Ohio, is a native of New York city, and was born September 1, 1867, a son of Osmer W. Lounsbury, Sr., who is also a physician and is now practicing in Wyoming, Ohio.
Dr. Osmer W. Lounsbury, Sr., was educated to his profession in the Cleveland Homeopathic college, and also graduated from the Pulte Medical college of Cincinnati, in which institution he subsequently held the chair of materia medica for five years; he practiced for two years in Dayton, then moved to Wyoming, where he has a large general medical practice, his experience extending through a period of over twenty-seven years. He is a member of the state and local medical societies, and enjoys high standing in the fraternity as well as with the public. A native of Connecticut, he married Miss Lydia E. Hotchkiss, who was born in the same state, and to their marriage have been. born four children.
Dr. Osmer W. Lounsbury, Jr., the subject of this memoir, was educated in childhood in the high school of Cincinnati, Ohio; he studied medicine with his father and was graduated from Pulte Medical college with the class of 1890, having studied five years in that well-known medical institute, and acquiring a thorough preparatory knowledge of his profession. Upon graduating, he first practiced in Dayton for about eighteen months, then moved to Dublin, Ind., where he passed another year in practice, thence moved to Eaton, Ohio, where he established a satisfactory practice, and where his skill was fully recognized. In November, 1895, he came to Dayton, where he has since resided. He is a member of the Montgomery county Medical association and of the Hahnemann Homeopathic Medical society, of Cincinnati, to both of which he has contributed a number of valuable papers on medical jurisprudence.
The doctor's marriage took place in 1889, in Dayton, to Miss Sarah B. Lyon, daughter of ex-Postmaster E. B. Lyon, He and his wife are members of the Baptist church, and in politics the doctor is a republican. He was selected, while at Eaton, to fill the position of physician to the county infirmary, and also to the children's home. Dr. Lounsbury is a valuable acquisition to the medical profession of Dayton, and has found a firm foothold in his practice, as well as in the esteem of the best citizens of the Gem City.
JUDGE JOHN W. KREITZER, [pages 639-640] ex-judge of the Montgomery county probate court, and a prominent attorney of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Jackson township, this county, on January 17, 1852. His early life was spent on the farm in what might be well termed a fight for existence, as he was very poor. Early education was out of the question, and it was not until after he was nineteen years of age and had taken upon himself the responsibilities of life by marrying, that he began a regular course in the common schools. This was at Farmersville, whither he removed after his marriage, and it was in the public schools of that village that he prepared himself for teaching. He taught common school for eight years, and later studied law in the office of Craighead & Craighead, of Dayton. He was admitted to the bar in October, 1888, and at once began active practice, meeting with early and continued success. Judge Kreitzer is a democrat in politics, and has been quite prominent in the councils of that party for several years. While residing in Jackson township he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, an office he held for ten years, and was also township clerk for seven years and assessor for five years.
In 1890 he was the nominee of his party for probate judge, and was successful at the general election of that year. His service as judge of the probate court was marked by ability and devotion to duty, giving entire satisfaction to the public and to his friends and fellow-attorneys. His term expired in 1893, since when he has given all his time and attention to the practice of his profession. He was married, in 1871, to Miss Emma Poffenbarger, and to their union four children have been born, as follows: Oscar, Dorsey, Herbert and Pearl. Judge Kreitzer is a master Mason.
RICHARD J. McCARTY, [page 640] the leading patent attorney of Dayton, was born in Augusta, Ga., January 24, 1852. His father, Jeremiah McCarty, was a native of Ireland, came to the United States about 1812, and served all through the Black Hawk and Seminole wars. Subsequently he was a soldier in the Mexican war and afterward located in Baltimore, Md., and in Washington, D. C., holding a position in the ordnance department of the government. In 1848 he was sent to Augusta, Ga., and remained a resident of that state up to and during the war of the Rebellion, his death occurring during the last year of the great, conflict.
Richard J. McCarty was reared in Georgia. His education was obtained in the public schools of that state. For a number of years he was connected with the Augusta Chronicle, and in 1874 removed to Washington, D. C., and was employed about the capital. During the time he was thus engaged he began the study of law, the first copy of Blackstone he ever read having been presented to him by the Hon. Alexander H. Stephens, known to history as the vice-president of the southern Confederacy. It was, in fact, upon the advice of Mr. Stephens that Mr. McCarty determined the choice of his profession. Subsequently he removed to St. Louis, Mo., where he completed his legal studies, graduating from Washington university with the degree of LL. B. He began the practice of the law in St. Louis, remaining there about three years, when he removed to Baltimore, Md. In 1883 he took up the patent law practice, in Baltimore and Washington, and has since then confined himself to this branch of the profession. In 1891 Mr. McCarty located in Dayton, where he has built up a large and successful practice. He does all kinds of patent law business and soliciting, and numbers among his clients many of the leading manufacturing firms of the city.
Mr. McCarty is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the Knights of Honor. He was married, in 1879, at Washington, D. C., to Miss Amy H. Toulmin, of Mobile, Ala., and to this marriage there has been born one daughter, Belle McCarty.
PERRY M. KLEPINGER, [pages 640-641] secretary and treasurer of the American Fence company, Dayton, was born on a farm in Montgomery county, Ohio, October 13, 1864, a son of William and Elizabeth (Bowser) Klepinger. He is by nature adopted to mechanical pursuits although his early manhood was passed on his father's farm. After receiving a sound preparatory education in the district schools of his native county he took a course of lessons in the Mount Morrison normal school, which included thorough instruction in bookkeeping and commercial practice. He also learned telegraphy, and was for two winters employed by the Mutual Union telegraph company; he then returned to the home farm, and for three years followed the pursuit of agriculture, and next came to Dayton, where for twelve months he was engaged in contracting for excavation work. In the spring of 1895 he disposed of his pending contracts and became one of the organizers of the American Fence company. This company was incorporated in the year named, with a capital of $50,00.0, and its place of business located at Nos. 10 to 18 North Canal street, Dayton, where it employed about twenty men in the construction of lawn and farm fences and other light iron protective work for dwellings in the city and for suburban residences, its output being sent to all points of the United States. On September 9, 1896, this company was sold out, being purchased by William Klepinger, who has since continued the business.
April 25, 1889, Mr. Klepinger married Miss Susie Lentzy, daughter of Lucas Lentzy, a prominent hotel-keeper of Dayton. Of the two children born to this union, the elder, Ethel May, is deceased; the son, Herschel L., still survives. Mr. and Mrs. Klepinger are members of the German Baptist church and both are active Sunday-school workers. The residence of the family is at 223 Fourth avenue.
JOHN P. LENZ, [page 641] of Dayton, dealer in stoves and tinware, was born in West Liberty, Logan county, Ohio, April 22, 1862, and is a son of Peter Lenz, a native of Germany. The Lenz family came to Dayton in 1864, and here Peter Lenz for a number of years carried on his trade of tinsmith, in which he was succeeded by his son, John P., on retiring from business in 1889.
John P. Lenz attended the public schools and also the brothers' school of Dayton, and, after securing a very fair education, learned the trade of tinner from his father, with whom he remained until twenty-four years of age, when he went to Cincinnati, and worked as a journeyman for two years. On returning to Dayton again he worked with his father, as a journeyman, until 1889, when he bought the business, and has since conducted it at No. 638 Wayne avenue, with success.
The marriage of John P. Lenz took place April 22, 1886, in Dayton, to Miss Clara E. Meyers, daughter of Herman H. Meyers (deceased). In his politics Mr. Lenz has been a life-long democrat, and has been an active worker for his party. In the spring of 1895 he accepted the office, through election by the city council, of member of the board of health for the term of three years. Fraternally, he is a member of Humboldt lodge, No. 38, Knights of Pythias, the Dayton Turners' society and of the Harmonias.
HERBERT W. LEWIS, [pages 641-642] ex-auditor of Montgomery county, Ohio, and a well-known and popular citizen of Dayton, was born in Painesville, near Cleveland, Ohio, on July 29, 1852. His parents, however, removed to Dayton when he was but one year old, and as he was reared and educated in this city, he is to all intents and purposes a Daytonian. He attended the public schools, securing a good English education. He early identified himself with the democratic party, and in 1889 he was that party's candidate for the office of county auditor, and at the election that year was elected for a term of four years. His administration was so successful and satisfactory that, in 1892, he was again nominated by his party and re-elected. Mr. Lewis stands very high in fraternal societies, in which he takes a deep interest, He is a Mason of high degree, and in 1893 he was elected grand chancellor of the Ohio grand lodge, Knights of Pythias, which position he held for one year.
THEODORE H. LIENESCH, [page 642] an enterprising manufacturer of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Fayetteville, Saint Clair county, Ills., January 7, 186l, and is a son of Theodore and Elizabeth (Linhorf) Lienesch. Theodore, the father, was born in Hanover, Germany, and died in Dayton, Ohio, January 18, 1885, an ex-justice of the peace; Mrs. Elizabeth Lienesch, a native of Prussia, is still living.
Theodore H. Lienesch attended the public and parochial schools of Fayettesville, Ill., until eleven years of age, when he came to Dayton, Ohio, with his parents, October 1, 1872, and added to his early education by attendance at the Emanuel parochial school and Saint Mary's institute. For several years he assisted his father in his shoe shop by working on the bench, and his first outside work was in the planing-mill and sash factory of John Rouzer, where he learned the trade of machine hand. At this trade he worked for about seven years in the shops of John Rouzer, the Stoddard Manufacturing company, Jacob Clemens and Peirce & Coleman. In the latter factory, in May, 1884, he met with an accident that necessitated a change of occupation, where upon he entered the Miami Commercial college and studied bookkeeping. He was then employed by Jacob Eckes, and later in the Stomps & Burkhardt Company's chair factory as shipping clerk; subsequently he entered the office of H. Ferneding & Son as bookkeeper, and with them he was employed for nearly ten years. May 1, 1895, Mr. Lienesch, in partnership with William H. Gondert, purchased the Miami Valley Box factory of Adam Zengel, and this prosperous concern is now operated under the firm name of Gondert & Lienesch.
Mr. Lienesch is prominent in local politics as a democrat, and served a short time on the board of education a few years ago, but was legislated out of office through the rearrangement of the city wards. He has been at the head of a number of democratic organizations, having been at one time president of the Thurman club. He is also prominent in Catholic circles, and has been secretary and treasurer of Holy Trinity Catholic church since 1888. He has been an active member of the Catholic Gesellen Verein since 1878, and in the latter has served as secretary, senior treasurer and second vice-president. He has been an active member of the Knights of Saint John for several years, is now president of commandery No. 104 of that order, and is also president of the league of commanderies of the same order in charge of Lafayette hall. He held the responsible position of chairman of the executive committee in charge of the arrangements for the eighteenth annual convention of the Knights of Saint John, held in Dayton, June 24, 1896, and has represented commandery No. 104 at the annual conventions of the order for the past six years. Mr. Lienesch is also a member of the board of directors of the league of German societies of the city. He assisted in organizing Dayton colony. No. 4, American Sons of Columbus, of which he is the treasurer. Mr. Lienesch owes his business prosperity to his own unaided efforts, and that he is highly esteemed and very popular is evidenced by his selection for many positions of trust, both past and present. He is as yet unmarried, and makes his home with his widowed mother, his brother, William, and sisters, Lizzie and Theresa.
THEODORE C. LINDSEY, [pages 643-644] a popular general merchant, at No. 18 South Main street, Dayton, Ohio, was born in Franklin county, November 1, 1844, and lived on the home farm until six years of age, when his parents removed to Columbus, thence to Cambridge, and three years later to Cumberland, where they resided until 1855, when the family came to Dayton.
Wilson Lindsey, father of Theodore C., was also a native of Franklin county, Ohio, born August 26, 1817, a son of Wilson Lindsey, a native of Pennsylvania, who spent his maturer years in Franklin county, Ohio, engaged in agricultural pursuits, but died while on a visit to Pennsylvania in 1830, his son, Wilson, being with him at the time. It is thought that he was of Scotch-Irish extraction and descended from ancestors long established in America. Wilson, the younger, married Miss Rebecca Frances Fulton, a native of Virginia, born in 1821, the ceremony having been solemnized, near Columbus, in 1837, by the bride's father, Rev. Daniel Fulton, a Presbyterian minister. After marriage the young couple located on a farm four miles south of Columbus, and there were born to their union seven children, the eldest of whom died in early infancy. The other six were born in the following order: Mary, now Mrs. Seafers, resides on a farm in Montgomery county; James W., a mechanic in Louisville, Ky., served three years in company H, Fourth Ohio volunteer cavalry during the late Civil war; Theodore C. is the subject of this biography; Emma is the wife of Moses Waters, a mechanic of Dayton; Susan A. A. is married to Sylvester B. Curry, a confectioner in Louisville, Ky.; Samuel M., who passed the greater part of his life in mercantile pursuits, died in Louisville, Ky., January 10, 1889, at the age of thirty-two years. Wilson Lindsey, the father of this family, was for many years a farmer and stock dealer, but since 1855 has been a dealer in market products, handling fruits principally, and is still engaged in that business in Dayton.
Theodore C. Lindsey, whose name opens this memoir, received a good common-school education in Dayton, and at the age of twelve years began an apprenticeship at printing in the office of the Daily Journal, finishing in a job-printing house. September 15, 1861, he enlisted in company H, Fourth Ohio volunteer cavalry, and served in the army of the Cumberland under Gens. Thomas, Rosecrans and others, participating in many skirmishes and minor battles, beside the historical engagement at Chickamauga, and serving until honorably discharged, October 19, 1864—a period of over three years. He then returned to Dayton, and for a time was engaged in the fruit business.
May 30, 1865, Mr. Lindsey was united in marriage with Martha Seitters, a native of Dayton and a daughter of Frederick and Christina Seitters, who were born in Germany, but in early life came to America and located in Dayton about the year 1840. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Lindsey has been blessed with four children, viz: Harry W., who is married, and is employed at his father's store; Anna Frances, wife of Harry E. Dill, a clerk for his father-in-law, Mr. Lindsey; Theodore C., Jr., a student in the senior class of the Steele high school, and Elsie C., also a high-school student.
Mr. Lindsey continued in the fruit business until 1881, when he embarked in general merchandizing at his present location, where he is doing a prosperous trade. He is prominently identified with several of the social orders, including the Knights of Pythias, the Union Veteran Legion and the Grand Army of the Republic. In the latter order he is aid-de-camp on the staff of National Commander Walker, with the rank of colonel. His church relations, and those of his children, are with the First Reformed church of Dayton, although his parents were reared in the Presbyterian church, in which faith his mother, who was of Irish ancestry, died in 1859. The present Mrs. Wilson Lindsey bore the maiden name of Sarah E. Fox, In politics Theodore C. treads in the footsteps of his father, who was one of the founders of the republican party, and, although he has neither sought nor held public office, he has been active in his party's councils and is a member of the Garfield club of Dayton. His social standing, like that of his children, is beyond question, and his business integrity is recognized by the entire community.