Aulabaugh’s Tiger Hat Store
Corner of Main and Third Streets
The above house, established in 1873, has developed much enterprise in the special calling to which its energies are directed, and the store is one of the best located in the city. The first floor is utilized for the display of hats, caps, furnishing goods, etc., and the basement is full of valuable goods, such as fur robes, etc. Mr. Aulabaugh carries a full and complete assortment of hats, caps, umbrellas, gents’ furnishing goods, etc., all of which are purchased direct from first class wholesale houses and manufacturers. A specialty of the house is the manufacture and sale of fur goods of all kinds, especially fur garments. Particular attention is devoted to ladies seal sacques, dolmans, wraps, etc., of which a large stock may always be found on hand and these are also specially made to order.
The stock of hats, caps, etc., includes all the latest novelties of each season, and fashionable and fine quality head covering can always be procured at this house. The trade is both wholesale and retail, transactions of importance being effected with dealers throughout this part of the State.
Mr. Aulabaugh is a gentleman of large experience as a business man, and is prominently identified with Masonic affairs, being a 32 degree mason. In every way this establishment offers inducements and advantages to attract patronage which can not fail to direct the current of trade towards it.
C.A.P. Barrett & Company
139 East Third Street
The above house is the successor to the business originally established by Mr. Charles A.P. Barrett of September 15, 1887. As recently organized it will largely increase its scope of operations and extent of its trade. The premises occupied consist of a building of three floors, and here is contained a stock of paints, oils, varnishes wall paper, artists’ materials, poles and curtain goods, etc., and the whole is selected with the greatest care, none but the most reliable goods being handled, and the public and the trade are supplied at the lowest prices. A specialty of the firm is house painting and decorating, wall papering, etc., and this work is efficiently done to satisfaction under the personal supervision of the firm.
A new department of the business is the acquiring of that formerly conducted by the Star Finishing Company of Fort Wayne, Indiana. This consists of the manufacture of Polishes, Stains, and Wood Fillers of the very best quality and utility. Mr. D.B. Robbins, who has just became a partner in the firm, was formerly connected with the above mentioned company. Altogether it will readily be realized that the house of C.A.P. Barrett & Company is an enterprising institution, fully in possession of all facilities that could attract the consideration equally of the trade and public.
Corner of Third Street and Broadway
The above house commenced operations January 1, 1889, with every facility provided and every indication pointing to a permanent success. The proprietor, Mr. Joseph Boyd, is a gentleman well known to the community in general and to the grocery and drug trades in particular. He was formerly engaged in the manufacture of tar soap during a space of five years, and he is intimately familiar with the demands and requirements of this city and locality. His warehouse, located at the above address, is comprised in a two-story building, where may be inspected a full line of Staple Toilet, Laundry, Shaving, and Souring Soaps, Washing Powders, Lye, Blueing, Soda, Starch, etc., also a line of selected grocers’, and druggists’ sundries, including Stationary, Pens Inks, Brushes, Perfumery, Wash-boards, Wooden and Willow Ware, Blacking, Scrub Brushes, Glue, Indigo, Mucilage, etc., etc. The facilities of the house are such that all goods are procured direct form first hands, and are therefore placed at the disposal of the trade at lowest prices. The enterprise is the only one of its kind in the city, and constitutes a valuable acquisition to the trade resources in Dayton. Mr. Boyd respectfully invites dealers to call and inspect his stock. Mail orders promptly filled.
Mr. Boyd is also the publisher of the Ohio Teachers’ Blue Book, a valuable work for teachers giving a list of Board members and teachers in the state in towns of 500 and over, their salaries, and other valuable information. Concluding this brief sketch, we may state that it will be the aim of the proprietor of this business to obtain the confidence of patrons by handling only reliable goods and in the execution of all orders promptly and satisfactorily. Mr. Boyd has been a resident here twenty-six years, and, indeed, practically all of his life, and is well known ands respected, and is entitled to the fullest consideration.
Corner of Hawthorn and Railroad
There are many people who erroneously believe that the quality of soap is determined by its more or less power to remove dirt from the face or body. There never was a greater mistake. Much of the injury to the health and skin is due to the use of impure soaps, made from all kinds of animal fats and oils, indiscriminately used upon the flesh of the most delicate women and tender children. The impure and often putrescent animal matter which is so often used in the manufacture of inferior soaps is by friction forced into the pored of the skin, and at once becomes absorbed in the blood, inducing disease, and particularly diphtheria, and often it is difficult to surmise how the malady has been contracted. Other diseases are also brought about by the use of common washing soaps, and indeed the majority of the high priced toilet seats are but little better. The fact is that there is always a certain amount of risk in using animal fat soaps, and therefore it is better to “take Time by the forelock,” and discard the use of any soaps which are made from grease taken from the bodies of the dead and often rotting animals.
Vegetable oil soaps contain none of the invidious qualities of animal fat soaps. If obtained from reliable manufacturers, they are pure and healthful, and contain no poison or ingredient which could inflict injury either to the blood or skin. In this city a house which enjoys the highest reputation in the trade for the production of pure and reliable goods is that of Mr. L.M. Brown., which since 1878, the date of its establishment, has achieved a large and growing trade. The factory, at the above located address, consists of a two-story brick building, 20 x 80 feet in area, which is provided with all necessary appliances incident to the operation of the industry. The specialty of the house is the manufacture of Brown’s Pine Tar Soap, which is unexcelled for toilet use. It does not contain a particle of animal fat or grease, and is eminently pure and highly desirable. It is unexcelled for toilet use, and it removes the cause and prevents the hands from becoming chapped. After washing with this soap the skin becomes soft, elastic, and healthy, and it operates as a cure for tetter and salt rheum. It will remove dandruff from the hair, and it is excellent for shampooing. It is also good for washing horses having galls, scratches, bruises, etc., and it can be used as well in hard cold water as any other soap in soft warm water. Briefly it is the best soap before the public.
The proprietor, Mr. L.M. Brown, is a well known resident of this city, who enjoys the best of reputations as a progressive and honorable business man. He is the pioneer of the Tar Soap business in this country, being among the first to introduce this product to the public. He makes only first class good and no cheap products, and his soaps have received the highest endorsements from the medical faculty and professional sanitarians.
S. N. Brown & Company
Southeast corner of Fourth and St. Clair Streets
One of the oldest manufacturing establishments of Dayton, and one which has done much to give credit and honor to this important center, and which through and existence of over forty years has had a career of increasing success and influence is the well know enterprises of S.N. Brown & Company. To give a comprehensive account of this enterprise would almost give a history of manufacturing in Dayton. Established in 1847 by Mr. Harvey Blanchard, the business was commenced in a very small way and almost without capital. It contained, however to advance and prosper, and in 1850 the co-partnership of Blanchard & Brown was formed, and continued until 1865, when Mr. Blanchard died. The firm of S.N. Brown & Company was the instituted, and in 1869 the business was incorporated as a stock company, retaining, however, the original firm title. The plant comprises a five-story brick structure, 100 x 120 feet in area, in addition to a three-story wood building 100 feet square, besides other minor buildings. The works are equipped with ingenious and labor-saving machinery and appliances of the latest improved character, operated by two stream engines.
The products of the works include wheels, hubs, spokes, shafts for sulkies, road carts, buggies, barouches and other carriages, poles for vehicles of every description, carriage bows of all kinds, yokes, singletrees, side-bars and axle bed sawed to pattern, perches, sulky seats, banded hubs and banded wheels. A specialty of the house are the banded hubs, the band being made of the best quality iron, with continuous lap-weld. In every department greatest care is exercised to turn out such products as shall hold and maintain the palm of superiority. The trade of the house extends throughout the northern sections of the United States as well as top some foreign countries, notably England and Australia. The officers of the company are Messrs. Thomas Brown, President; J.M. Phelps, Secretary and Treasurer; S.N. Brown, General Manager, and Charles H. Brown, Superintendent. The enterprise they conduct occupies today in all respects a commanding position, and is prepared to offer its patrons all the advantages that can result from a happy combination of experience, skill, and capital.
Carnell & Reynolds
Corner of Second and Jefferson Streets
Messrs. Carnell & Reynolds instituted their enterprise during the latter part of the past year, and already their efforts have met with pronounced success. They are manufacturing a chewing gum which, by its title of Halifax, is destined to become the standard of excellence in the line. It is made only from the purest ingredients, wholesome and delicious, and may be considered as second to none before the trade and public. The members of the firm are Messrs. H. C. Carnell and L. G. Reynolds, the first named being also engaged in the drug business. Mr. Reynolds is of the Reynolds and Reynolds Company, manufacturing stationers of this city. Producing on the market high-class products in its particular line, the firm of Carnell & Reynolds may be said to be contributing to the reputation of Dayton as a source of supply for superior goods of every description.
Corner of Brown and Warren Streets
The city Brewery was erected by Henry Ferneding in 1859. After passing through several changes, it was purchased by Jacob Stickle at public sale in 1868. At that time the building was of brick, two stories high, and 54 x 150 feet in size. It remained in that shape until the summer of 1881 when it was burned down and afterwards enlarged at an expense of eight thousand dollars. It is now a three and a half story brick, and well adapted in every way to the uses to which it is devoted. The first year Mr. Stickle was in business here he made four thousand barrels of beer, and the business has since greatly increased. The trade of the firm is now very large, and is in the charge of William Stickle, son of the proprietor.
Cooper Fire Insurance Company
Corner of Main and Second Streets
The Cooper Fire Insurance Company, of this city, now in its twenty-third year of successful operation, is one of the best known and reliable companies in this section of the country, and the prudent and sound management of the institution, its careful selection of risks, its wise management of funds, and the reputation it has gained for liberal dealings with the policy holders are attractive inducements which have been all-powerful in contributing to its present prosperity. To illustrate the above facts, we refer to the latest annual statements, dated January 1, 1889, which demonstrate a net surplus of close upon $60,000 over all liabilities. The capital of the company, all paid in, is $100,000, and there is a re-insurance, fund of $84,000. The policy of this company assures absolute security, and additional safeguards are taken by the investment of the funds in the stocks of Ohio National Banks and other stocks which are beyond the peradventure of loss, the United States government, bonds, collateral loans and first mortgage loans which can not depreciate below the amounts loaned thereon. The company transacts a Fire Insurance pure and simple, and their policies are scattered over the states of Ohio and Michigan, where they were represented by about one hundred and seventy-five agencies, and for several years past the Cooper has done the largest business in Ohio of any Ohio company.
The company was organized January, 1867, under the laws of the State of Ohio. The management of its affairs is in the hands of the following gentlemen: D. E. Mead, President; C. D. Mead, Vice President, and Charles W. Schenk, Secretary. The directors, besides the president and vice president, consist of Messrs. Michael Schaefer, L.B. Gunkel, George Latin, W.P. Callahan and Isaac VanAusdal- a combination of wealth, business ability, and enterprise.
The company counts its patrons a large number of the most prominent business men and residents of this locality, who have perceived in it that element of stability which is such an attractive feature to the seeker after safe insurance.
1013 East Fifth Street
A well known and responsible house engaged in the handling of lumber, etc., is that which since the year 1868 has been conducted by Mr. S. W. Davies. Here may be found in stock a full supply of hard and soft lumber of all descriptions, as well as sash, doors, blinds, mouldings, etc. These goods are procured direct from first hands, and the facilities of the house are such as to enable it to place the products before the trade and public at manufacturer’s prices. Mr. Davies enjoys the most intimate connections with these original sources of supply, and thus inducements are held out which have contributed largely to the favorable position held by the concern. The proprietor is a well known citizen of Dayton, who, in addition to his connection with this enterprise, is also largely identified with other interests of importance. He is a director of the Columbia Insurance Co., of the Dayton National Bank, and of the Dayton Malleable Iron Co., and may be said to be a gentleman who has always been at the front in the promotion of the real interests of the city.
The Dayton Asphalt Roofing & Paving Company
14 to 18 South Canal Street
The above company, incorporated in 1889, has been established to conduct a very useful branch of industrial occupation. Its management is in the hands of gentlemen well known to the community whose names insure confidence and a guarantee that all they undertake to do will be effectually carried out. The works are located in the Gebhart Power Building, and at the present time about a dozen men are given employment in connection with the enterprise.
The company are prepared to contract for the execution of asphalt paving for sidewalks, cellar floors, etc., asphalt roofing, iron, tin, and felt roofing, and their facilities in the above branches are such that all orders are sure to be executed in the best manner to the entire satisfaction of patrons. Every convenience is here available, and practical men are included in the management who personally supervise all operations. A large local trade is transacted even at this early stage of the company’s existence, and there is every reason to predict an expansion of the operations commensurate with the character of the facilities available.
The president of the company is Mr. Robert Schenk, Jr., Mr. Charles Wuichet is vice president and Mr. George Wuichet is secretary. The superintendent is Mr. Otto Moldenhauer, with Mr. James Cronan assistant superintendent.
A useful industry such as the above is certainly a valuable acquisition to the trade facilities of Dayton.
The Dayton Journal
25 North Main Street
On April10, 1826, the announcement was made by William Campbell that he had purchased the establishment of the Dayton Watchman and the Miami Republican, and that he proposed to consolidate the two papers and publish them as one, the publication to commence as soon as the following fall as he could make arrangements to leave the farm, upon which he then resided in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. The paper was to be a weekly issue, and to bear the name of The Ohio National Journal and Montgomery county and Dayton Advisor. In accordance with this announcement the first number of the paper appeared November 25, 1826, and was continued by Mr. Campbell one month, when he sold it to Jeptha Regans. It was a paper 13 x 20 inches in size, five columns to the page, and its motto was “Principles and not men where principles demand the sacrifice.” In politics, the Journal was Whig. On December 4, 1827, Mr. Regans sold a one-half share interest in the paper to Peter O. Lowe, and they two continued to publish it until January 15, 1826. On the same day that Mr. Regans took in Mr. Lowe as a partner, the name of the paper was cut down to simply The Dayton Journal and Advertiser. On December 2, 1828, John W. Van Cleve purchased a one-half interest in the paper, and from that time on until the death of MR. Regans, the name of the firm became Regans & Van Cleve. Mr. Van Cleve then continued the publication of the paper alone until October, 1830, when Richard N. Comly bought the interest of the Regans estate in the establishment, and the firm became Van Cleve & Comly. This firm lasted until July 15, 1834, when Mr. Van Cleve sold his interest to William F. Comly, and the Journal was then enlarged to be the largest paper published in Ohio. It was made a seven column folio, and the place of publication was removed in July, 1835 to the third story of Samuel Steele’s new building, on the east side of Man Street., the firm name was changed to R. N. & W. F. Comly, and this firm struggled on for years with the single purpose of giving Montgomery County the best paper that it was possible to make. In their commendable efforts they met with the success which they deserved, and were themselves well satisfied with their encouragement, and were looking forward to reaping the reward of their labors, when , on the evening of May 5, 1863, their entire outfit was destroyed by a mob, on account of the arrest of Hon C. L. Vallandigham, under the order of General Burnside, who was then in command of this military department.
After the destruction of the office, W. D. Bickham took charge of the paper, and for some weeks issued a small daily, until it was possible to refurnish the office with presses and other necessary material. And this refurnishing took considerable time, as new printing presses were in great demand at that particular juncture. Mr. Bickham commenced his work on May 11, 1863, and on July 28th following, issued the first number of the paper, which was of the usual size. This was a seven-column folio. Mr. Bickham has continued to conduct it ever since, and has made for the Dayton Journal a national reputation. Mr. Comly has been continuously the associate editor of the paper; Captain Ashley Brown has been the telegraph editor since the spring on 1882; and John P Pflaum, who learned his trade as a printer with the Comlys, has been foreman of the newsroom since 1863. The Journal has never given out any uncertain tone as to its politics. It has never gone off after false gods of false prophets, but has always been a staunch Republican paper. It is the only paper on Dayton using the associated press dispatches, and thus has great advantage over its local contemporaries, and though a secular publication, always strikes the key-note of sound religion and correct morals.
The Dayton Malleable Iron Company
Corner of West Third Street and Dale Avenue
The advantages possessed by Dayton as a center for the most perfect and economical production of almost all kinds of manufactured goods is fast becoming a matter of general recognition. The proximity of the fields for the supply of raw materials, thee unrivalled transportation facilities, and the thrift and reliable character of the labor supply place the manufactories of this city in a position which enables them to fairly outstrip competition. A notable instance of the utilization, to their fullest extent, of these splendid resources is afforded in the operations of the Dayton Malleable Iron Company, whose business has been developed upon the legitimate basis of superior production to proportions of greater magnitude. After nearly a quarter of a century’s active endeavor and annually increasing reputation and output, this extensive corporation stands today more vigorous than ever, the exponent of the results attending and enterprising and able management, and an illustration of the perennial youth and vigor of honorable business methods.
The inception of the enterprise was in 1866, and was the outcome of the legitimate wants of the manufacturers in the vicinity of Dayton, a large proportion of the products at that time being agricultural machinery castings and carriage hardware. With the growth of the enterprise and its enlarged scope of trade new lines of production have been added until, at the present date, the company is prepared with all necessary facilities to manufacture every conceivable kind of malleable iron castings that may be required, the bulk of the output, however, being confined to malleable iron castings for railway, agricultural, and carriage work. Drawheads for freight and passenger cars are made by thousands, as well as an innumerable list of other articles for all manner of purposes for which malleable iron has been found the best material.
The works, which are among the largest in Dayton, are located upon an extensive plot of ground in the western city. The buildings are constructed of brick, and are conveniently arranged for the expedition of the work in hand and the economical handling of the products. Steam power is furnished from and engine of 80 horse power capacity, and the mechanical equipment embraces all the latest and most improved machinery and appliances known to the most advanced in the trade, and include air furnaces for melting the iron, the products being known to the trade as refined air furnace malleable iron castings. In the prosecution of the industry employment is furnished to two hundred and fifty skilled workmen, the wages to pay whom, weekly, constituting a considerable factor in the general thrift of this community. From the above it will readily be seen that the facilities of production possessed by this company are equal reputation in the trade for superior quality, it has resulted in a demand for them extending throughout the United Stated, east of the Mississippi River.
The officers of the company are Messrs. R.C. Schenk, Jr., President, and Thomas P. Gaddis, secretary and general superintendent, both of whom five their attention to the management of the enterprise, and its success is mainly attribute to their practical and critical supervision. The influence exercised by this company on the industrial activity of the city has been of the most salutary character, while, at the same time, with unrivalled facilities, large capital and ripe experience, the results accomplished are in every way meeting the company’s ever-enlarging circle of customers.
The Dayton Spice Mills Company
Corner of First and Foundry Streets
Among the best known concerns in Ohio, devoted to the manufacture of pure and unadulterated spices, baking powder, etc., is the Dayton Spice Mills Company, whose goods are noted from Ohio to the Missouri river and beyond for their absolute puiry, freshness and low prices, and customers have the satisfaction of knowing that nothing inferior or adulterated will be foisted upon them by this house. This has been the principle upon which the business has been conducted from its inception, and the management has never deviated from this path.
The Dayton Spice Mills Company was established in 1885 and the premises they occupy are comprised in a three-story brick building, 34 x 196 feet in dimensions. The equipment of the establishment includes roasters and grinding machinery of the most modern mechanical construction which are operated by a 75 horse power engine. As the company are content with a reasonable profit, customers may depend that they can not obtain goods of equal value at lower prices anywhere. The specialties of the house are Jersey Coffee, Jersey Baking Powder, a pure, wholesome and unquestionably valuable article, and Jersey Spices, warranted strictly are represented, and the business of the house is entirely wholesale.
We may with justice urge all prudent dealers, who desire to put before their customers pure and reliable goods- goods of the classes mentioned and at prices as low as oft-times are exacted for inferior goods- to entrust their favors to this house, as every article is of a character in keeping with the reputation of this well known and highly esteemed establishment.
Dayton Stencil Works
40 South Main Street
This business was established in 1859, and for thirty years has been continuously conducted under the same proprietorship. The premises consists of two floors, where every improved tool and appliance is in operation, and employment is given to a number of highly skilled workmen. Mr. Rice manufactures rubber stamps of every description, stencils, steel stamps, metallic checks, seal presses, etc. He carries a large stock of his specialties, in addition to executing all orders with promptness. Many of the goods embody valuable improvements which are not common to others. The line is as complete as that carried by any other similar establishment in the country, and includes all varieties of rubber and metal stamps, dates, printing wheels, carriage plates, notarial, corporation and office seals, branding irons, stencils, baggage checks, etc. The trade of the house is widespread, a demand for the products coming from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and other western states, its reputation throughout its lengthened career assuring the utmost confidence. Mr. Rice is a bona fide, thoroughly practical mechanic, entirely conversant with every detail of the business, to which his closest personal attention and supervision is at all times directed.
Dayton Wollen Mills
322 First Street
The above house was founding in 1880, and is well known to the trade for the production of high class products in it s line. The plant is comprised in a three story brick building, 50 x 100 feet in dimensions, which is operated by steam power and is equipped with all necessary machinery. The products consist of blankets, flannels, knitting yearn, wool batting, etc. , and a specialty is made of skirting flannels, having a figured stripe, in carious attractive designs, across the bottom, which is woven in the piece. These goods are made by no other concern in the country. Pure stock only is used and is selected with the greatest care, and thus a superior quality of heavy flannels and other goods are turned out and are disposed of to the trade throughout Ohio, Indiana and Pennsylvania and some other sections. Mr. J. H. Wild, at the present time, is the sole proprietor of the business. He is a gentleman of practical knowledge and experience of everything relating to the industry and is closely identified with the material advancement of this locality.
The Dickey House
Opposite Union Depot
The Dickey house was erected a number of years ago, but it took a new lease on life during the past year, when it came under the proprietorship of Messrs. McMillen & Company. The house has been entirely renovated, with new office, lunchroom, improved sanitary arrangements and other improvements. These are forty sleeping rooms, well furnished and comfortable, and the bat and restaurant appointments are of the best, with supplies of first class character. The rates are but $1.50 per day, but there are many hotels which exact much higher prices where the accommodations and fare are very much inferior. The conveniences of the house are equal to any hotel in the city, and being contigious to the central depot there is no expense of omnibusses and street car fare. Altogether, travelers will find this house a comfortable and desirable on eat which to sojourn. The hotel is managed by Mr. C.G. McMillen, who formerly steward of the Beckel House and lately proprietor of the Hotel Albermarle, Pittsburgh. He is and experienced hotel man, and having for years been on the road himself, is intimately acquainted with the requirements of the traveling public. His new enterprise is worthy of large support and he has to offer for the money expended its full value to a greater extent than is usually attained.
20 and 22 West Third Street
The business we now speak of was established in 1872 by Messler and McGowen who were followed by H. Good, with C. T. Freeman being at the head of its affairs since April, 1887. The resources of the establishment are more than ordinary pronounced, and the place has a general air of cleanliness, system, activity and business not noticeable at many contemporary establishments. Mr. Freeman has at the disposal of the public twenty livery horses, a large number of carriages of all kinds for pleasure riding and business purposes, four coupes, and one of the finest Tally-Ho Coaches that ever was manufactured. He also has a large chariot band wagon suitable for dramatic companies visiting the city, picnics, celebrations, trade festivals, excursions, etc. Those who desire to hire first class turnouts of any description may depend upon obtaining them at this establishment. A special department of the business is that of boarding horses, and there are always twenty or twenty-five belonging to leading citizens entrusted to his care. The best of attention is given to animals, and so well is this understood that citizens of Dayton willingly pay a higher price to have their horses boarded here. The premises occupied consist of two-story brick building, 33 x 200 feet in dimensions, and it is connected by telephone with all points. About eight men are given employment, and none but experienced and sober coachmen here find occupation. Mr. C. T. Freeman, the proprietor, is a well known and popular resident. He was formerly deputy sheriff and sheriff of this country- six years in the first capacity, and four years in full charge. He is a gentleman of a thoroughly upright business character, and his establishment is one of the greatest possibly utility to the city.
Corner of East Second and Jefferson Streets
The Excelsior Laundry has been conducted under its present management since 1886. The premises occupied are very complete, are operated by a 12 horse power engine, and are fully equipped with all the latest improved laundry appliances, and employment is furnished to 25 operatives. Dayton is well known and particularly favored for the successful conduct of the laundry industry. The water is well known and particularly favored for the successful conduct of the laundry industry. The water here obtainable is specially suitable for the purpose, and as a result soiled linen is sent here from a wide extent of the neighboring country. The facilities of the excelsior laundry are more than ordinarily good. The plant is perfect of its kind, and the utmost care is taken in all departments, and under no circumstance are chemicals or other deleterious substances used which would be calculated to injure the fabrics in the remotest degree. The splendid shipping facilities enjoyed by the city enable linen to be received and dispatched in all directions, and consequently the patronage of the house is largely derived from carious parts of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana, numerous agencies being established by the firm throughout these localities.
The members of the firm are Messrs. John D. Turner and J. D. Knerr. Mr. Turner is the Auditor of the count, and he is now serving his second term in that capacity. Mr. Knerr is the active manager of the business, of which he has complete experience. With a patronage embracing leading hotels, families and individuals, the Excelsior Laundry is in a position to accord the greatest advantages to patrons.
18 West Third Street (Phillips House)
One of the most popular sources for flowers in this city is the Floral Exchange, located in the Phillips House. This business was established in 1884, and today is universally recognized as headquarters for the choicest productions in this line. The management of the business is in the hands of Miss Alice E. Smallwood, a lady whose good taste and thorough perception of artistic combinations in the arrangement of flowers is universally appreciated. For decorations at weddings, balls, parties, church festivals, etc., the products of this establishment are remarkable for attractiveness of style and beautiful design, and the variety, freshness and quality of flowers, together with the reasonable prices charged, render transactions with the Floral Exchange highly desirable. Flowers are received fresh everyday, and in special cases they are cut expressly to order. The facilities of the house are such as to enable it to promptly supply all demands, and nowhere in the city is the public better served than here.
Return to "Firms & Manufactories of Dayton" Home Page