J.F. Needham & Company
29 South Main Street
The above house was established in 1868, and for twenty years it has been a leading exponent of the commission facilities of Dayton. The premises occupied comprise a four-story and basement building, which is stored in the season with fruits, foreign and domestic, produce and vegetable of all kinds, including potatoes, onions, peanuts, coconuts, melons, oranges, bananas, early vegetables, apples, grain, peaches, seeds, etc, etc. These goods are either purchased outright or sold on commission, and the firm invite consignments in any quantity, assuring quick sales and consequently prompt returns. The trade of the house is exclusively wholesale and mainly in car load lots, and an outlet is found for the products in nearly every state of the Union, the connections of the concern with large consumers being necessarily intimate and advantageous. The reputation of the house for reliability, integrity and fair dealing is wide spread and well attested, and may be verified by reference to the City National Bank, Hiram Stansell, capitalist of Detroit, Michigan, and many of the business men of this city and other localities. The firm act as agents for the well known house of E.B. Mallory & Company of Baltimore, handing their oysters in this locality. The sole proprietor, Mr. J.F. Needham stands among the most energetic representatives of the produce commission trade in this section.
420 East Fifth Street
Twenty years ago it would have been impossible to have found customers for that class of jewelry which is now really in greatest demand-the solid, costly and artistic products of modern luxury and ingenuity. Mr. A. Newsalt is conducting an establishment, founded in 1886, which embodies the above requirements to and eminent degree. The premises occupied consist of a store which is fitted up with plate glass show-cases, titled floor and other decorations in a costly and superior manner, and the stock carried contains an assortment which for beauty and artistic excellence can not be excelled. It includes special lines of ladies’ jewelry, diamonds and other precious stones, plain and ornate rings, chains, watches, bronzes, marble and ormolu clocks, plated solid silverware, china, bric-a-brac, artistic goods which belong only to the highest class of the trade. The house makes a specialty of loose and mounted diamonds and precious stones, also watches of the best makes in this country and Switzerland, and the finest solid silverware. Jewelry of all kinds is also made to order. The patronage of the house is not only derived from this city, but from the residents of southern Ohio generally. Mr. A. Newsalt is a well known and respected member of the community, in whom the general public has every confidence, being assured of the complete carrying out of every representative made.
Novelty Machine Works
24 South St. Clair Street
An additional acquisition to the manufacturing facilities of Dayton is furnished in the establishment of the above mentioned house, which commenced operations January 1, 1888. The premises occupied for the business are commodious and well arranged, and are equipped with all necessary tools and appliances, operated by steam power. The firm execute a general jobbing business in the manufacture and repairing of all kinds of machinery for which they are prepared with all necessary facilities, their chief specialty however, being the manufacture of E. E. Euchenhofer’s Patent Automatic Boiler Scale Solvent Feeder. The use of something to remove scale or prevent formation in steam boilers hail with delight the advent of an apparatus that will automatically feed the solvent into the boiler when in use, thereby no only preventing the accumulation of scale, but at the same time rendering it unnecessary to shut down steam in order to clean out the scale. Such a device is that manufactured by Messrs. Weinman and Euchenhofer. This apparatus has many advantages over any other in the market, chief of which may be said to be its independence of all connection with any other machinery. It is attached direct to the boiler, and hence the solvents which are fed into the boiler do no require to be passed though the pumps or injector, and so do not clog them up, and as its action is continuous when so desired, the result is to keep the water in the boiler at such a state of saturation with the solvent as to prevent scale, which can not be expected when a considerable body of solvent is placed in the boiler at any time and in any quantity, simply by opening a cock connection with the boiler. The appliance itself is very simple in construction, takes up but little space, has but few parts and little or no mechanism, and its operation is effected automatically by the known laws of hydro-static pressure. It is inexpensive and positive in its action and will feed any kind of solvent that may be desired, and better results are attained with from 25 to 35 per cent saving of solvent. Although this apparatus has been in successful use for the past three years in a number of places, it is only recently that the firm have begun to place them on the market for general use. The appliance has the endorsement of steam users wherever it has been tried, as well as all the boiler and inspection insurance companies of the country. Inquires with regard to these appliances will be promptly answered and full information given.
The firm also manufacture Weinman’s Patent Seat Wheeling Machines for the use of boot and shoe manufacturers, for which a large demand has been established all over the country.
The members of the firm are Messrs. C. J. Weinman and E. E. Euchenhofer, both of whom are practical machinists of experience whose personal knowledge of the business they conduct is devoted to the operations of their works in the interests of their patrons. Although young and not as extensive in characters many other industrial establishments of this city, this house is certainly entitles, by reason of its utility, enterprise and character to special recognition at our hands. The trade and public will find it an advantageous concern with which to effect business relations.
M Ohmer’s Sons
128, 130 and 132 North Main Street
The above house was first instituted upon a very limited basis as long ago as the year 1849. The founder was Mr. M. Ohmer, the father of the present proprietors. The date of the present constitution of the firm was the year 1880. The premises consist of a four-story building, 50 x 170 feet in dimensions, which is provided with a passenger elevator connecting all the floors, making it both an easy and pleasant task to inspect the large and varied assortment. The factory is a five-story brick structure, 50 x 100 feet in area, and it is equipped with a 100 horse power engine, together with wood working machinery of the latest improved character. From eighty to one hundred skilled artisans and experienced designers are employed, and such has been the gratifying success of the house during recent years that the firm contemplate doubling their facilities and capacity within the next six months.
The products of the house embrace all kinds of household, bank and office furniture, from the plainest kitchen chair to the most highly finished parlor suits, all of which, both with regard to material and workmanship, shall be considered in every respect first class and artistic. Many of the products are made to order from designs in harmony with intended surroundings, and so widely known and so greatly appreciated have the efforts of the management become that the trade of the house extends to all parts of the country, from Boston to San Francisco. It is but seldom that a factory of this magnitude is engaged in supplying only a first class retail trade with furniture made to order.
Though all articles are substantially and well made from good materials, it must not be supposed that the prices charged are exorbitant. On the contrary, however, owing to their facilities for production and large trade, the prices are lower than inferior goods can be obtained for from small dealers in districts where limited operations and insignificant competition compel and enable them to demand high prices.
The members of the firm are Messrs. John F. Ohmer, Will I. Ohmer and Al. A. Ohmer, young business men of energy and enterprise who are determined maintain the already high reputation of the house by conserving in every conceivable manner the interests of their patrons.
Osborn, Solomon & Company
29 North Main Street
The house of Messrs. Osborn, Solomon & Company testifies to the magnitude of the wholesale notion trade of southern Ohio, as well as to the energy and judgment of its management. This house was established in 1860 as Coffman & Osborn, and after several changes the present firm was organized in the year 1881. The store occupied for the business is four floors in height, is built of brick, and covers 25 x 125 feet. It is provided with a hydraulic elevator connecting all the floors, and an electrical motor furnishes power for the sewing machines used in the manufacture of overalls. The first floor is devoted to notions, the second to hosiery, underwear and furnishings, the third to hats, caps and gloves, and the fourth to the manufacture of overalls. Messrs. Osborn, Solomon & Company are among the largest importers and jobbers of notions, fancy goods, etc., in this section of the country, and have built up their extensive trade and high reputation by the maintenance of the highest standard of excellence in their lines. In hosiery, underwear, hats, caps, gloves, etc., the advantages which the house stands ready to accord the trade are equally attractive. In every department the stock always contains a full assortment, which is an attractive display of the newest goods of the season, comprising all the novelties of the season at they appear. A special department of the business of the house is the manufacture and sale of overalls, which are made from the best material and are warranted to withstand the hardest wear. The trade of the house is judiciously restricted to this state and the neighboring state of Indiana, and requires the services of four commercial travelers for its operation. Altogether, a force of sixteen clerks, assistants and salesmen are employed. The members of the firm are Messrs. C. V. Osborn and E. B. Solomon, with Mr. E. G. Summer as special partner. These gentlemen are progressive and liberal business men, whose establishment is a prominent and valuable adjunct of the commercial system of this city.
F. W. Ritter
150 South Jefferson Street
An important factor of the seed supply of this locality is the house of Mr. F. W. Ritter, which was founded about three years ago. At his store at the above indicated address, Mr. Ritter carries a large and admirably selected stock of garden, flower and field seeds, also garden tools and requisites. The seeds handled are all of reliable reproducture qualities grown on sound and healthy soil and free from dirt and all impurities. His facilities embrace close relations with some of the most eminent growers in this country, and thus he is enabled to guarantee the goods. A specialty of the house is the handling of florists’ supplies, including a full line of wire goods. Mr. Ritter, in addition to his retail trade, jobs quite extensively thought his locality, dealers finding it advantageous to deal with him. The house publishes an attractive and voluminous illustrated catalogue, showing different varieties of flowers and vegetables which can be grown from seed sold here. Mr. Ritter was formerly a market gardener, and possesses a thorough knowledge of the business in which he is now engaged. The past year has developed this enterprise to a marked degree, the transactions being three fold greater than the previous season, and to the facilities here available must be attributed this gratifying condition of affairs.
116-128 River Street
The Riverside Brewery was established in 1882 by George Schantz & Company, the company being Adam Schantz, the present proprietor. During the first year of the firm’s existence about on fourth of the present plant was erected. The firm remained as at first constituted until January, 1887, when George Schantz retired and Adam Schantz has since been the sole proprietor. During the first year the brewery had a capacity of eight thousand barrels per year, but since then its capacity has become fifty thousand barrels per year. The plant consists of seven buildings, including the boiler and engine house and stables. The entire cost of the plant, as it now stands, was about one hundred thousand dollars. During the first year there were sold from this brewery seven thousand barrels. The number of hands at first were ten, and at the present time the number is seventeen. The wages paid to the employees varies from fifty to one hundred and twenty-five dollars per month.
Schaeffer & Company
232 First Street
The above firm devote their energies to the manufacture of wire rakes, known as the Improved Gem Steel Wire Rake. These rakes are known as the best rakes in the market for lawns. They are made of the best materials, and are the most attractive and saleable in the market. They are constructed on a plan peculiar to themselves, which is best explained by a reference to the accompanying illustration. As early as 1880 the Gem Rake took the first premium for rakes at the International Exposition in Melbourne, Australia, and wherever they have been introduced they have met with the greatest favor. The firm have an extended trade reaching throughout the United States, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and other foreign countries, which is annually increasing in volume. The sole proprietor of the business is Mr. L. A. Schaeffer, who has conducted it since 1881. About 40,000 of the rakes are annually manufactured, and horticulturists and landscape gardeners everywhere are loud in their praise of this perfect garden and lawn implement.
A. A. Simonds
Dayton View Hydraulic
The above enterprise was founded in 1874 by Mr. A. A. Simonds. The premises occupied consist of two buildings, on of brick and the other a frame structure, which are of the dimensions of 40 x 100 feet and 30 x 105 feet respectively. The works are supplied with a full equipment of general and special machinery, the latter comprising grinding, cutting, and forging appliances, operated by water power, an auxiliary steam engine of 150 horse power also being available, and about twenty skilled workmen are given employment.
Mr. Simonds manufactures Planing Machine Knives, Engine Bars and Plates of Paper Mills, Moulding Knives, Stave Jointing Knives, Spoke Knives, Slasher Knives, Tenoning Knives, Siding Knives, Shingle Knives, Matcher Knives, Bookbinders’ Knives, and, indeed, any kind of machine knives made to order. A specialty of the house is the Diamond Bed Plate for paper manufacturers. This is specially designed and made to aid in the production of good pulp in the shortest time and with the least use of power. Testimonials have been received by the house from the most eminent paper manufacturing firms in the country, all of whom speak in the most unqualified terms of commendation with regard to this appliance.
Briefly, this plate is the best, most economical, makes larger fibered stock in less time, and altogether gives better satisfaction than nay other in the market. It is suitable for the manufacture of book, news, straw and wrapping paper equally.
The knives of all kinds made by this house may be said to represent the very acme of perfection as regards quality, fineness, temper, and durability, and have no superior anywhere, either in this country or abroad. The development of this enterprise to its present important proportions has been due top the superiority and high grade of output. The tempering processes, which have been brought to great perfection, gives to the steel a uniform and tough temper which is highly desirable. In all the departments the greatest care is exercised, and only the best quality of selected steel is used. Competent and skillful workmen are only employed, the entire operations being conducted under the immediate supervision of the proprietor, who is an experienced and practical manufacturer.
The business is an important and growing exponent of the manufacturing facilities of the city, and its trade is spread all over the United States wherever high class goods of this character are in demand.
E. A. Stimson & Company
Corner of Sears and New Market Streets
Established in the year 1875, and since that period operating a business of considerable importance, the above enterprise may not be ignored in any publication which aims to reflect the trade advantages and resources of this city. The plant of the concern comprises a machine shop which occupies an area 50 x 150 feet in dimensions. A steam engine of fifty horse power operates the machinery and appliances, which are of the best character suitable to the prosecution of the work in hand, and a force of from fifteen to twenty skilled mechanics are given employment in connection with the establishment.
Messrs. E. A. Stimson & Company are manufacturers of steam and gas fittings, manufacturing a number of specialties besides a general line of brass goods for steam and gas fitters, engine builders, etc. The products of the house are of the very best quality, carefully made from the best material by highly skilled workmen, and all goods are thoroughly examined and scrutinized before leaving the establishment.
The house also handles extensively wrought iron pipes of all descriptions which is procured direct from the most eminent manufacturers of these goods in the country. A specialty of the house is the sinking of tube wells for mills and city water works, and the firm are in the enjoyment of the most complete facilities for executing all kinds of jobbing which might properly come into their line of industry.
The members of the firm are Messrs. E. A. Stimson and John Connable. Mr. Stimson is a thoroughly practical man at the business to which he gives a constant and critical attention. In addition to his connection with this house Mr. Connable is also engaged in a twine and cordage manufacturing business at Xenia, Ohio, where he resides.
James B. Walton
116 to 1122 West Third Street
The above enterprise, founded in 1880, is a prominent factor of the carriage building trade of Southern Ohio. Premises consisting of a three-story brick warehouse, 40 x 100 feet, and a two-story work shop, 30 x 150 feet, which are connected by a bridge, are occupied. Here may be found all necessary tools and appliances, employment being given to a considerable force of workmen. The specialty of the house is the manufacture of carriages, buggies, wagons, road carts, etc., for the trade and products are distinguished for their attractive appearance, strength, lightness, and durability. Mr. Walton carries a large stock of finished carriages of all kinds, so as to supply the trade and public at the shortest notice, and while the trade of the house is largely in Dayton and vicinity, with the best classes of the community, carriages are also shipped to distant localities to a certain extent. We are pleased to offer our testimony to the facilities and high character of this establishment, and those desiring good vehicles at fair prices can certainly do no better than to enter into communication with this reliable house before purchasing elsewhere.
Weller & Doxsey
104 and 106 South Main Street
Nothing better illustrates the extent of any department of trade than the success of some important enterprise. The well established and successful of Messrs. Welller and Doxsey testifies to the magnitude and growth of the general dry goods trade of this city as well as the judgement of its own management, being engaged in a particular department of the trade, and a department also that dry goods houses are loath to relinquish to specialist. The house is the most important concern of the kind in the city, and its institution dates from the year 1884. The firm handle a general line of fancy goods, and notions, including such articles as hosiery, corsets, gloves, laces, pocketbooks, underwear, Butterick’s patterns, infants’ good, art embroidery, and, indeed , everything required by ladies for apparel or needle work, excepting only dress goods and heavy dry goods. All goods are selected by the members of the firm, who are expert buyer, direct from manufacturers and first hands, thus avoiding middle profits, and are placed at the disposal of the public at lowest possible figures, and much of the goods found here can only be obtained at this establishment.
The store is a handsome and well located one, spacious and convenient, and a corps of about a dozen attentive employers are always at the disposal of patrons.
The members of the firm are Messrs. Samuel Weller and H.S. Doxsey, both of whom devote their entire attention to the business, of which they possess an experienced and intimate knowledge. The industry they conduct is an important acquisition to the trade resources of Dayton.
C. Wight & Son
Corner of Sears Street and Monument Avenue
Much of the excellent facilities enjoyed by Dayton as regards its supply of lumber and builders’ materials and wood work is due to the energy and enterprise of Messrs. C. Wight & Son, whose business was originally established about forty years ago, the present style of the firm dating from 1876. This firm has steadily advanced their scope of operations, and from comparatively small beginnings they today furnish employment to eighty skilled workmen and others, and their trade is spread over a radius of forty miles from Dayton as a center.
The premises of the firm consist of a three-story brick building, 50 x 120 feet in dimensions, in addition to a frame factory, 50 x 80 feet in area. There are also lumber yards and other conveniences of the storage stock. The factory is equipped with all the latest improved wood-working machinery necessary for the business, operated by a 120 horse power steam engine.
In conducting the work at a factory of this character there must be necessarily be a number of subdivisions, such as the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds, interior wood-work, planing mill work, etc. Everything in the way of dimension lumber, dressed lumber, flooring, siding, moulding, hard wood work for interiors is done to order, and every facility is enjoyed for turning out work promptly and in the nest manner. The house manufactures and deals in hard and soft lumber of all kinds, also every description of factory wood work, wire and picket fence, window and door screens, sash, doors, blinds, etc., and these are supplied to the trade and public at the lowest current rates.
The individual members of the firm are Messrs. C. Wight and H.C. Wight, both long-time residents of Dayton and well know citizens. The success which has attended this business for over forty years is but the just reward of honorable and enterprising methods, without which no permanent prosperity such as theirs could be possible.
Return to "Firms and Manufactories of Dayton" Home Page