SKETCHES OF SCHOOLS AND CHURCHES.
The Public Schools
Of Dayton will compare favorably with those of any city in the country of equal size. They comprise a normal school, high school, and twelve district schools, occupying in all twenty-two buildings. The Board of Education is an able and representative one, of which John E. Byrne is President, E. H. Kerr, Vice-president, and Lawrence Butz, Jr., Clerk. In the year 1889-90 the total enrollment of pupils was 8,465. There are 211 teachers besides the Superintendent.
The new Central High School, now in process of erection at the corner of Main Street and Monument Avenue, will be one of the finest pieces of public school architecture in the country. It will cost about $200,000. The cut from the architect's plans, will give some idea of its appearance when completed.
Union Biblical Seminary.
This is the Theological School of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ for the United States and Canada, and was founded in 1870. The seminary building is located on a large lot at the northwest corner of First Street and Euclid Avenue, and commands a good view of the city and surrounding country. The spacious and ornamental grounds furnish room for all healthful exercises. Tuition and room rent are free to all who are admitted. Students who complete the regular course of study receive the diploma of the institution, and classical graduates who complete the regular course are given the degree of Bachelor of Divinity.
Rev. D. R. Miller is the Business Manager. The faculty is composed of Rev. G. A. Funkhouser, D. D., Rev. J. P. Landis, D. D., and Rev. A. W. Drury, D. D. The building and grounds are valued at $40,000, and the institution has behind it an endowment of $100,000. All indebtedness is covered with good assets not included in the real estate and endowment named. The Union Biblical Seminary is of inestimable value to the city of Dayton.
St. Mary's Institute.
This institution is one of the best known in the Miami Valley. Its spacious grounds and commodious buildings at once attract the traveler's eye as he approaches Dayton from the south.
St. Mary's Institute was founded by the Brothers of Mary, June 1, 1850, so it has an honored history of forty years. During all this time it has been growing, being incorporated in 1878, and in 1882 empowered by the State Legislature to confer degrees. The Institute is situated on an eminence about one mile from the Union Depot, and commands an extensive view of the surrounding country. Visitors can take the Oakwood street cars at the corner of Main and Fifth Streets and proceed directly to the grounds. The location, besides being remarkably picturesque, is very healthy and affords great facilities for athletic sports in all seasons.
The academic year consists of only one session, beginning on the first Monday in September, and closing the last week of June. The curriculum is very comprehensive. Beginning with the elements of knowledge the student is led through regularly graded classes to the higher department. This is divided into three sections devoted respectively to literature, science, and business. A student may give his special attention to any one of these sections without however, totally neglecting the others.
A diploma of graduation is given to the student who, after going through the higher department, passes a satisfactory examination before a Board of Examiners. The degree of Bachelor of Science is conferred on those students who have completed a special course leading to this degree. Medals and premiums are awarded at the annual Commencement, for excellence in studies for application, and for conduct. The institution is well equipped for scientific instruction, having a chemical laboratory, physical apparatus, and a cabinet of natural history. Besides the college library there is a circulating library in the study room of each division.
The principal object of the Institute is to impart to boys and young men a thoroughly Christian education. The manner of enforcing the regulations is firm, yet mild and paternal, and appeals to the pupil's conscience. Nearly 350 pupils were enrolled last year. One feature that attracts the notice of the visitor is the beauty of the pupils' art work. No stranger should leave Dayton without visiting the Brothers' School.
Notre Dame Academy.
This literary institution for young ladies, conducted by the Sisters of Notre Dame, occupies extensive grounds on the corner of Franklin and Ludlow streets. About forty years ago a school was organized under the direction of the Sisters, and after various changes the present Academy was opened on May 6, 1886, and has been successfully conducted ever since.
Many of the pupils are from the most prominent Catholic families of our city; but the other denominations are also represented. The main object of the Sisters is to train good Christian women, able to fulfill in a creditable manner their duty to society; the training of the heart, the head, and the hands enters into their scheme of education.
There is a well furnished library adapted to the age and capacity of the pupils; also globes, maps, charts, and everything to make science familiar and attractive. The language of the class room is English, but German also being spoken by many of the teachers, the pupils have every facility for acquiring it. That this worthy institution stands high in the favor of the public is shown by its steadily increasing patronage.
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church on East Third Street, between Madison and Sears, founded in 1840, is an imposing structure, to which the cut does scant justice. About 800 families are connected with this congregation, making it probably the largest church field in Dayton. Rev. Carl Mueller has been the pastor during the past seven years.
Dayton is noted for the number and strength of its churches. In this edition we can describe but a few.
In September, 1882, Rev. Thomas Collett, of the Cincinnati Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was appointed by Bishop Bowman to "Huffman Avenue Charge," Dayton, 0. The appointment was nondescript; he found neither church nor organization. With the heroism which has characterized his life work, he undertook the task of raising money, building a church, and organizing a society. September 3, 1883, the present organization was effected. About sixty members from Grace, Raper, and Sears Street M. E. churches volunteered and formed the new organization. December 9, 1883, the present St. Paul Church was dedicated. The cost of the church and ground was about $25,000. The first pastorate continued for three years.
September 1, 1885, Rev. J. P. Shultz was appointed pastor and served the church for three years. In 1888, Rev. J. G. Vaughan was appointed, and is still serving as its pastor. The church has a membership of 750, and a Sabbath-school with an average attendance of 543. Both are thoroughly organized and aggressive in Christian work. Few churches are blessed with so faithful and efficient an officiary as St. Paul.
The stewards for 1890-1891 are: Wesley Boren. John F. Iliff, N. S Everett S. Sparks, S. W. Laymon, G. W. McFarland, J. W. Mundorff, R. P Mercer, W. H. Heinz, J. M. Brown, J. H. Parker, W. G. Nellis, and 0 P McCabe. The trustees for 1889-1890: J. W. Boren, T. B. Hannah, W. H Pritz, H. D. Sides, S, B. Light, J. L. Laymon and H. C. Hopkins. The Church Treasurer is Thomas B. Hannah, office, Masonic Temple, Fifth and Main Streets.
The Second German Baptist Church was founded in 1882, and is now the only German Baptist church in Dayton. The membership is about 200. Rev R. T. Wegener, the pastor, has been in charge three years. The assistant pastors are Rev. William Argow and Rev. J. G. Werthner; deacons J G Werthner, H. Janke, H. Bartel, and W. Fielitz; clerk, Henry Zwick; other members of the council, Th. W. F. Schmidt, Charles Gielsdorf, and August Wille. Services are conducted exclusively in German. Sunday-school is at 9:15 A. M.; Young People's Society every other Tuesday, and prayer meeting every Thursday evening. The music in this church is particularly good. A fine orchestra of ten pieces plays both in church and Sunday-school, and lends harmony to the song service of fifteen minutes every Sunday evening
Return to "Guide to the Central National Soldiers' Home" Contents Page