The Evening News and Dayton Times.
Prominent among Dayton newspapers are the Evening News and Dayton Times, the former an afternoon and the latter a morning publication. The Evening News is an independent paper, taking no part in politics further than to present the political news of the day. It is the successor of The Monitor. Its first issue under the new name was printed November 15, 1889, and since then its progress has been marked, the circulation having trebled. It is delivered daily in all surrounding towns in Montgomery, Preble, Darke, Miami, and parts of Warren, Shelby, Greene, and Clarke counties. The paper is full of enterprise, energy, and talent, and to these qualities its success is mainly due. It was the first newspaper in Dayton requiring a Perfecting Web Press to print its daily issue.
The Daily Times is a Democratic paper, the successor of the Daily Democrat. The change of name took place February 1, 1890, when it was moved into the same building with the Evening News, and was enlarged from a four to an eight-page paper. Both papers at this time belonged to Messrs. Frank T. and George P. Huffman, but since have become the property of a stock company bearing their name, of which Mr. Frank T. Huffman is president.
The Times during the past year has doubled its circulation, and is conceded to be the best morning paper published in Western Ohio, outside of Cincinnati. As advertising mediums these two papers have few equals in the country.
The weekly issued from this office is called the Times-News. It is the successor of the Empire and Democrat and Monitor, and its circulation is that of these papers combined and increased. Its original predecessor was the first newspaper published in this section, eighty-three years ago; and to-day the grandfathers who await it anxiously each week are the children of the first readers of the Empire away back in 1808. It first gained a national reputation when edited and published by Hon. C. L. Vallandigham, the great Democratic leader.
These papers after their purchase and consolidation, for the first year were managed by Mr. C. W. Faber, and now are in charge of Mr. C. H. Simms, a talented and energetic young journalist of great promise, with an able corps of assistants. The Times and News now have in addition to complete telegraphic reports and a thorough local news service, special writers of note in all sections of the country. No expense is spared to make them all any reader could desire. Some of their feats of enterprise have surprised the journalistic world. Attached to the newspaper offices is a job office, complete in every detail. Work that carries the impress of art on its face is being turned out from this office. Printing in colors or in black, from the finest to the commonest grades is executed on short notice. The printing establishment of the Huffman Publishing Company is one of the most complete and enterprising concerns of its kind to be found in Western Ohio.
The Dayton Evening Herald.
There is probably no daily paper in Ohio, and few in the realms of modern journalism, that has succeeded in ten years in building up a business and circulation equal to the Herald.
Its first issue appeared February 7, 1881, from the old Storms Building, on East Third Street. It was the first evening paper published in Dayton, and in a short time its proprietor saw that in a city like this no daily paper could be a success without a telegraphic press franchise, After some negotiations he purchased the afternoon franchise of the United Press Association, and moved the Herald, to the Shoup Building, southeast corner of Second and Jefferson streets.
In January, 1887, THE HERALD PUBLISHING COMPANY was organized, and in 1889 nearly all the stock was bought by Mr. H. H. Weakley, who associated with himself the former minority stockholders of the company. The building on the southwest corner of Second and Jefferson streets was bought and remodeled into a commodious home for the Herald. A new Web Perfecting Press was purchased, having a capacity 12,000 eight-page papers, or 24,000 four-page papers per hour. A new outfit of type and all the apparatus used in publishing a first-class modern newspaper were added to the plant, making it complete in every mechanical detail.
With its valuable franchises, its own building, its good will, and rapidly increasing business, the Herald is one of the most valuable newspaper properties in Ohio. The Herald is the only politically independent newspaper in Dayton, the only afternoon paper owning and using a telegraphic press franchise, and one of the largest papers in Southern Ohio outside of Cincinnati. The management claim the largest circulation of any newspaper in Dayton, and from its popular course on local and public questions it has come to be known as "The Paper of the People". Probably no other paper in the United States gives its readers as much good, "newsy" literature for ten cents per week, and its weekly edition at fifty cents per year is unrivalled.
The Dayton Volks Zeitung.
This ably edited journal, the only German daily paper in the city, and in the State of Ohio outside of Cincinnati, Toledo, and Cleveland, has also a large weekly circulation. The Volks Zeitung building is on the south west corner of Fourth and St. Clair streets. The paper was founded in 1866 by George Neder, who has conducted it ever since; and it has now a larger circulation than ever before. With the Volks Zeitung is connected a job office for both German and English work.
The Dayton Daily and Weekly Journal,
Issued at 31 South Main Street, is the leading Republican paper of the Miami Valley, and the oldest in the city. It is ably edited by the veteran journalist, Major W. D. Bickham.
This, one of the youngest of the Dayton newspapers, is published in the Firemen's Insurance Building by the Prohibition Publishing Company, organized August, 1890. They soon concluded to publish a weekly paper, whose first number was dated October 24, 1890. A glance at its columns shows that the editor proposes to make it a newspaper as well as to champion the cause of moral reform. Its immediate object is declared by the management to be to bring the facts in connection with the great modern Prohibition movement to the minds of the people. The officers of this $10,000 stock company are: Louis C. Walker, President; W. M. Hollinger, Treasurer; J. Q. Dickensheets, Secretary; J. 0. Alwood, Editor and Business Manager. Their ultimate intention is to issue a Prohibition daily newspaper.
The Weekly Record.
Among the reliable enterprises of Dayton we class the Weekly Record. Beginning its publication a few years ago with little capital and less practical experience, its proprietor has earned the good will of prominent business firms by faithful and efficient service, until now it has an advertising patronage equaled only by the leading dailies. The people of Dayton and vicinity attend the Saturday market as much to secure a copy of this illustrated advertising medium as they do to see and be seen. Mr. De Long has earned the confidence of his patrons, and we look for radical changes in his paper during the coming year.
Return to "Guide to the Central National Soldiers' Home" Contents Page