CAPT. FRANCIS MARION WORK [pages 858-860] was born in Perry county, Pa., November 14, 1840; and his genealogy is directly traceable to ante-Revolutionary times, and to relationship with noted actors in that celebrated struggle for independence. The paternal branch of the family, which is of Scotch-Irish origin, settled near Chambersburg, Pa., as early as 1760. The Works and Marions were closely related, and it was after a member of the latter family, Gen. Francis Marion, a patriot of national reputation, that the subject of this sketch was named. In the annals of the war of 1812, the name of Work appears frequently upon the numerous muster rolls, and, as far back as the history of the family can be traced, the ancestors appear to have been men of great personal bravery and soldier-like qualities.
Andrew Work, the father of Capt. Work, was born in Pennsylvania and in that state married Hannah Miller, whose ancestors came to America from Germany at a period long antedating the Revolutionary struggle. Andrew Work enlisted in the Eighty-second Pennsylvania infantry and died near Washington city, D. C., in 1862, at the age of fifty-seven years; his wife departed this life in 1849. They had a family of seven children, the eldest of whom, Alexander, died in 1848; Joseph, a soldier in the Sixty-second Pennsylvania infantry, died while in the army; Henrietta died in early youth; William H. H. died while young; Rebecca Jane married Daniel Harman, deputy United States marshal for the northern district of Ohio, and the youngest child died in infancy, unnamed.
Francis Marion Work was fourth in order of birth, and received his education in the common schools, though he is largely self-educated. When of sufficient age young Francis entered upon an apprenticeship at Beaver, Pa., to learn the molder's trade, and, after becoming proficient in the same, worked for some time in that city, and later, about 1860, engaged in the oil business on the Little Kanawha river, in Virginia, where he remained until the breaking out of the Civil war. In May, 1861, he became a member of Hill's Rangers, a military organization for home protection, which afterward became company C, of the First Virginia cavalry, the muster dating from August 28 of that year. Capt. Work's military experience began in the winter of 1861-2 under Gen. Milroy on the Fremont campaign in the Shenandoah valley, during which time he served as sergeant of orderlies at the general's headquarters, discharging the duties of the position in a most acceptable manner. He continued in the valley during the Peninsula campaign and participated in the second battle of Bull Run, was under Burnside at the battle of Fredericksburg, served under Hooker at Chancellorsville, and was with Gen. Kilpatrick's cavalry at Gettysburg. In the winter of 1863 the regiment re-enlisted, and took part with Gen. Sheridan in the battles of the Shenandoah, including Winchester, Cedar Creek, and numerous other engagements of that memorable campaign, which resulted in the final reduction of the Confederacy. The battle list during this period is a long one and the captain's record is replete with duty well discharged and with gallant conduct which won the approbation of his superiors. He was with Sheridan from Winchester to Appomattox, took part in the battle of Sailor's Creek and Five Forks under the immediate command of Gen. Custer, and was an eye-witness of the final surrender of the rebel chieftain, which terminated the war of the Rebellion, He passed through the various official stations from private to captain, and at the battle of Gettysburg was put in command of a squadron consisting of two companies.
He was mustered out with the rank of captain July 8, 1865, and immediately thereafter returned to Pittsburg, but did not long remain in that city, going thence to Saint Louis, Mo., where he worked at the molder's trade until 1867. In January of that year he enlisted in company H, Thirty-sixth United States infantry, with which he served at Forts Sanders and Bridger, Wyo., a part of the time as clerk in the adjutant's and quartermaster's department; on account of injuries received during his previous service, he did not complete his period of enlistment, but received his discharge on the 21st day of April, 1869. On leaving the army the captain became a member of the engineer corps of the Union Pacific railroad, and while thus engaged was employed to measure and receive all the lumber used in the construction of snow fences along the line between Cheyenne and Ogden. He continued in the employ of the company until the completion of the road and its acceptance by the government, after which he was in the employ of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe road for about one year during the construction of that line through Kansas. From the latter state he went to Michigan, where he was for some time bookkeeper for N. B. Day & Co., contractors on the Menominee extension of the C. & N. W. railway, and later was a member of the engineer corps, having in charge the surveying and constructing of short lines of road in the Ishpeming country to the iron mines.
Retiring from railroading, the captain afterward followed agricultural pursuits and clerical work for several years, and for some time resided in the city of Toledo, not actively engaged in any kind of employment. Subsequently he worked at his trade in Pittsburg for a limited period, and afterward sold agricultural implements, following the latter business the greater part of the time until 1886, in which year he entered the southern branch of the national military home at Hampton, Va., where he soon became commander of a company. In this capacity he continued until transferred two years later to the northwestern branch, Milwaukee, Wis., where he accepted a clerical position in the quartermaster's department. In addition to his duties as clerk, the captain was also sergeant-major in the Milwaukee branch for about two years, and, at the end of that time, took a discharge and visited the eastern states, where for a period of one year he worked at various kinds of employment. Finally he went to the soldiers' home at Marion, Ind., and was made captain of the hospital and colonel of the Union Veteran Legion, remaining there until transferred, in March, 1894, to the Central branch, Ohio. Capt. Work has held various official positions: First, as wardmaster; and later, in September, 1895, as captain of company Seventeen, by promotion, the duties of which office he has since discharged. As will be seen from the foregoing brief sketch, Capt. Work has had a varied experience, his record as a soldier being one of which he feels justly proud. In his official station he has proved faithful and competent, and the home numbers among its inmates no more painstaking and conscientious public servant.
JOSEPH A. WORTMAN, [pages 860-861] lawyer, of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Berlin, C J Prussia, September n, 1863. With his parents he came to the United States in 1868, they coming direct to Dayton, and in this city Mr. Wortman has since resided. He was educated in the public schools and graduated from the Central high school in June, 1881, when he was seventeen years old. He then took a course of study at the Miami Commercial college, A. D. Wilt, principal, after completing which he began reading law in the office of James Linden, of Dayton, and upon the removal of Mr. Linden, from the city, Mr. Wortman went into the office of 0. F. Davisson, with whom he remained until 1889, having been admitted to the bar in 1884.
In 1889 he began the practice of law by himself, and has since thus continued with most gratifying success. Mr. Wortman is a republican in politics, and as such was a candidate for mayor of Dayton in the spring of 1891, and upon the first count of the votes cast was declared elected by a majority of two votes ; but upon a recount of the ballots he was declared defeated by an adverse majority of two votes. He has, however, served two years as tax commissioner of Dayton. Mr. Wortman is a member of all the Masonic bodies—is a Knight Templar, a member of the Scottish-rite Masons, a .thirty-second degree Mason, and is also a Knight of Pythias. He was married January 1, 1885, to Miss Cornelia Woodhull, of Dayton, a daughter of Lambert Woodhull, who was a member of the firm of L. & M. Woodhull, otherwise known as the Dayton Buggy company, which is one of the largest concerns of the kind in the state of Ohio. Mr. Wortman has five children, viz: Adolph, Robert P., Joseph A., Jr., Marguerite and Cornelia. The family are connected with the Memorial Presbyterian church. Mr. Wortman was one of the organizers of the Teutonia National bank, and a stockholder and director for several years ; he is also secretary and attorney of the Mechanics' Loan & Savings association, and is also largely identified with the building .up of the northern end of the city, known as North Dayton.
BISHOP MILTON WRIGHT, D. D., [pages 861-863] of the United Brethren church, and at present a resident of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Rush county, Ind., November 17, 1828.
He received his preliminary education in the common schools and later attended Hartsville (Ind.) college. In 1853 he was admitted into the White River conference of the United Brethren church and was ordained minister in 1856. Soon after this event he was sent by the board of missions to Oregon, where for a time he was principal of Sublimity college, Marion county, that state, and in 1859 returned to Indiana, and in the same year married Miss Susan Catherine Koerner, a resident of Union county. He passed several years as pastor and presiding elder in the White River conference, and in 1869 was elected by the general conference to the editorship of the Religious Telescope, which position he filled with marked ability for eight years. In 1877 he was elected bishop; the degree of doctor of divinity was conferred upon him in 1878, by Westfield college, and he continued to perform the functions of bishop until 1881. In that year he became the editor and publisher of the Richmond (Ind.) Star, but terminated his connection with that journal in 1885, when he was elected bishop of the Pacific coast. In 1889, with fourteen associate ministers, he refused to accept as being lawful the action of the general conference at York, Pa., in passing under a new confession of faith and constitution, and with them claimed to continue the true general conference of the church. This schism of the general conference resulted in two churches, both claiming precisely the same name. At this conference in 1889 he was elected bishop, and publisher of church literature. At the general conference at Hudson, Ind., in 1893, he was re-elected bishop, which position of honor and prominence he has now held for fifteen years. Dr. Wright has attended every general conference of his church since 1865, has been a member of the board of missions, of the board of education, and a trustee of the Union Biblical seminary, and, in fact, has been a zealous worker in the church ever since 1855.
The parents of Dr. Wright were Dan and Catherine (Reeder) Wright—the name Dan being that also of his grandfather, Dan Wright. His father was born in Orange county, Vt., September 3, 1791, and was reared a farmer. At the age of twenty-five years he moved to the state of New York, where he passed one year, and then, in 1816, came to Ohio, and resided in Montgomery county until 1821, when he moved to Indiana and cleared up a farm in the wilds of Rush county, and nineteen years later he removed to a farm in Fayette county, where he passed the remainder of his life. There were born to Dan Wright and wife six children, beside Milton, the subject of this sketch, of whom three sons and one daughter lived to raise families. Of these, the eldest, Samuel S., was a teacher, who died at the early age of twenty-three years; Rev. Harvey lives on his farm in Rush county, Ind., and has been a Baptist minister for over forty-five years; Rev. William was a minister, in the United Brethren church and died in 1868, at the age of thirty-six years, and the daughter, Mrs. Sarah Harris, was a resident of Franklin county, Ind., at the time of her death, which took place in 1868.
The Wright family are of English origin, but for several generations have lived in America, the family name having been established in Springfield, Mass., by Samuel Wright, about the year 1639, Dan Wright, paternal grandfather of the bishop, was a farmer and carpenter, and one of the heroes of the American Revolution, having taken part in the battle of Saratoga. His wife bore the maiden name of Sarah Freeman, and was a native of New Hampshire, having descended from one of the most eminent New England families.
The Reeder family, the maternal ancestors of Rev. Dr. Wright, were of German descent, but went to England previous to the year 1600. They came to America (Long Island) about the year 1650. George Reeder, the subject's maternal grandfather, was captain of militia and baggage-master in the early days of Ohio. George Reeder was born on the James river, Va., and about 1792 settled in Hamilton county, Ohio, at Columbia, now a suburb of Cincinnati. John Van Cleve, Bishop Wright's maternal great-grandfather, was descended from a Holland family that settled in New York eight generations back. He was also a soldier of the war of the Revolution, and while in the battle of Monmouth his dwelling was burned by the retreating British. During this battle, or just previous to it, Mrs. Van Cleve escaped from the house with her three children, but all else was left behind and carried off or destroyed by the British excepting a few minor articles that had been placed in concealment. One of the three children alluded to above as having been rescued by their mother, was Benjamin Van Cleve, for many years afterward county clerk of Montgomery county. Ohio. In the early part of 1790, John Van Cleve came to Ohio and located at Cincinnati (then Losantiville), but met with an untimely death at the hands of the Indians on June 1, 1791. His widow was married to Samuel Thompson two years later and left Cincinnati in a keel boat with her husband and her children, and settled in Dayton, arriving here April 1, 1796. and, with the Newcom family, erected a double log cabin—probably on the site of what is now known as Van Cleve park. Here her death occurred in 1837, but her descendants are still well known and prominent citizens of Dayton.
Mrs. Susan Catherine (Koerner) Wright was born in Loudoun county, Va., in 1831, but was reared from childhood in Indiana. Her father was a native of Saxony, and her mother a Virginian by birth. To the marriage of the bishop have been born seven children, of whom there are living four sons and one daughter: Reuchlin, now married, is a clerk in a general railroad office in Kansas City, Mo.; Lorin is bookkeeper in the office of the John Rouzer Manufacturing company; Wilbur and Orville, now engaged in job printing and in conducting a bicycle store, still make their home under the parental roof, and Katherine is in her fourth year's course of study, at Oberlin college. The mother of this family died July 4, 1889, and her loss was most keenly felt in the home circle and deeply mourned by her many acquaintances. She was a lady of education and refinement; of a quiet, unassuming disposition; ready of speech and an able counselor, whose advice »was always sought and heeded by her husband. She died in the faith of the United Brethren church, of which she had been a pious and consistent member since early childhood. In politics, Bishop Wright has always been allied with the republican party, and his church record, of which the salient facts have been given in this memoir, furnishes its own best commendation.
JOHN A. WRIGHT, [page 863] a deputy sheriff of Montgomery county, was born in Springfield, Ohio, June 28, 1857, a son of Robert and Catherine (Ritter) Wright.
Robert Wright, a native of England, came to the United States at the age of sixteen years, located in Ohio, and here married, and became a successful and well-known railroad man, rising from the place of section "boss" to that of roadmaster of the old C. S. & C. railroad. The latter position he held until the time of his death, at Osborn, Ohio, in 1868, his widow being now a resident of Dayton, and there having been born to their marriage five children.
John A. Wright was about one year old when his parents came from Springfield to Dayton, and here he grew to manhood and has passed his entire life, with the exception of about nine years, which were spent at Osborn, where his father died. He was educated in the common schools of both Dayton and Osborn, but had early to relinquish his studies, and, after his father's decease, worked on a farm for a year and a half, in order to reduce the family expenses of his mother, who had been left in widowhood with three of her five children. He was next employed in a nursery, where he passed three or four years, and in both situations was faithful and attentive to his duties. His next step was the learning of the machinist's trade at the Globe Iron works in Dayton, where his devotion to the interests of his employers secured him constant work for the long period of twenty-two years. January 7, 1894, he was appointed, by Sheriff Anderton as one of his deputies, a position he has since filled to the satisfaction of the sheriff and of the general public.
Mr. Wright was married, October 17, 1878, to Miss Phebe Tressler, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Tressler, well known residents of Dayton. To this union there have been born three children, Erne, Edward 0., and Ambry Irene, all of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Wright are attendants of the First United Brethren church of Dayton, of which they have long been members, and to the tenets of which they strictly conform.
Fraternally, Mr. Wright is a member of the National Union and of the Patriotic Order of the Sons of America, also of the International Association of Machinists. He served as president of the Dayton Trades & Labor assembly in 1892 and 1893, and has ever held dear to his heart the material interests of the workingman as well as his moral welfare. He and his family have a pleasant place in social life, and the respect paid them is well deserved.
FREDERICK WUNDERLICH, [pages 863-864] a member of the firm of Wunderlich Bros., sculptors and manufacturers of and dealers in granite and marble monuments at No. 122,5 East Fifth street, was born in Dayton, Ohio, September 15, 1864. His parents, Henry and Elizabeth (Kupp) Wunderlich, were born in Germany, the former coming to this country in 1847, the latter in 1862. Henry Wunderlich first settled in Auglaize county, but came to Dayton in March, 1848. He was a stone-cutter, and followed this trade until 1873, when he established the business now being carried on by his four sons. His death occurred in Dayton, February 23, 1889, in his seventieth year. He was a member of the order of Odd Pillows, of the encampment, and was also a member of the German order of Druids. He was a successful, honorable man, and one of the best known and highly esteemed citizens of the east end of the city of Dayton. His widow died in March, 1896, in her seventy-third year. At the time of his death Mr. Wunderlich left four sons and one daughter, the latter being the wife of Otto Alstaeter. The sons are John, Henry, Frederick and William, comprising the firm of Wunderlich Bros.
Frederick Wunderlich was educated in the Dayton public schools, and, having completed his education, learned of his father his present business. The firm was first known as Wunderlich & Sons, but upon the death of the father the name was changed to Wunderlich Bros. This enterprise has been built up from a small beginning, and it is by strict attention to business and by fair and honorable dealing that the firm has established its reputation and acquired its present high standing and large and prosperous trade.
Mr. Wunderlich has always been a republican in politics and for many years has been a leading member of that party in the Ninth ward. In April, 1895, he was elected to the board of education for a term of two years, taking his place on the board in May. He was married in May, 1887, to Miss Emma Gayer of Riverdale, and to this marriage there have been born two sons, Elmer 0. and Howard F. Mr. Wunderlich is a member of all the branches of the Odd Fellows fraternity, and of the Gem City senate Knights of the Ancient Essenic order. He and his family are members of the Third street, or Saint John's, German Evangelical Lutheran church, which was organized in 1838 or 1839. Mr. Wunderlich and his brothers are among the most highly esteemed citizens of the Gem City.
THOMAS YENNY, [pages 864-865] of Dayton, Ohio, is a native of Switzerland, born July 27, 1844. He came to the United States in the year 1866, and is the only member of his family who ever came to America.
Before leaving his native land Mr. Yenny had secured a good education in the common branches of study, and had also prepared himself for the practical duties of life by learning the carpenter's trade. He passed the summer of 1866 in Pittsburg, Pa., where he found employment at his trade, and in the fall of the same year he came to Dayton, Ohio, where he has ever since lived, and where he has been continuously employed at his trade, being an expert workman and recognized as a skilled mechanic. He secured a position in the Barney-Smith Car works on his arrival in Dayton in 1866, and has remained with that concern until the present day, with the exception of the interim from 1872 to 1879, when he was employed in the shops of the Farmers' Friend Manufacturing company. His industry and good management have brought to him a due measure of success, and he is well known and highly esteemed in the city where he has made his home for so many years.
At the time Mr. Yenny left Switzerland both of his parents were living, but are now deceased. Two sisters and one brother still remain in the land of their birth, and he himself has twice visited the home of his childhood —once in 1869, and again in 1890.
On the 20th of December, 1871, Mr. Yenny was united in marriage to Miss Mary Freitag, who was born in Milwaukee, Wis., and to them has been born one child, a daughter, Mary Margaret. All of the family are devoted members of St. John's German Lutheran church.
In his fraternal relations Mr. Yenny is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Druids. In politics he has been a loyal supporter of the democratic party and for six years served as a member of the school board of Mad River township. The esteem and confidence in which he is held by his fellow-citizens was also shown in April, 1896, when he was elected a member of the city council from the Third ward, as the candidate of the democratic party.
BRUNO ZIMMERMAN, [pages 865-866] timekeeper at the national military home at Dayton, Ohio, was born in Saxony, Germany, November 23, 1827, and was educated in an agricultural college. He was the only child born to his parents, and when about sixteen years of age, in 1843, ran away from a pleasant home and came to America. Here he employed himself in any honest labor his hands could find to do, first working for some time in New York and then going to Connecticut, whence, in 1853, he went overland to California, where he drove a United States mail coach, on the Santa Fe route, for three years. This task was beset with dangers, and finally a train of several hundred wagons, to which his vehicle was attached, was attacked by ambushed Indians, and in the battle which ensued Mr. Zimmerman received a severe wound in the head, which rendered him unconscious for several weeks and disabled him from further service as a mail coach driver. On recovering from his wound he went to Cincinnati, where he engaged in teaming. He enlisted in April, 1861, for the three months' service, and acted as orderly on the staff of Gen. Flanker. Immediately after the expiration of this term of service he enlisted in Huffman's Ohio battery, in which he became first sergeant. He filled out his two years' term with this battery and then re-enlisted in the field, becoming a member of the One Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania infantry, company B, from which he received his final discharge.
Mr. Zimmerman served in the Eleventh and Twelfth army corps, and took part in many of the sanguinary battles under Gen. Hooker, among which may be mentioned that of South Mountain, where he was wounded. He was also at Antietam and Fredericksburg; went with his command to the southwest, .where the Eleventh and Twelfth were merged into the Twentieth army corps, and took part at Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain and Ringgold. June 15, 1864, at Pine Mountain, Ga., he received a disabling wound through the leg and ankle, and for this reason was honorably discharged at Camp Dennison, Ohio, in August, 1865.
After his discharge, Mr. Zimmerman went to Kentucky, where he engaged in the grain and coal business. He there found among the discharged rebel soldiers many warm friends, and, disabled Yankee soldier though he was, they apparently thought none the less of him. But disaster overtook him, and in 1882 his property and business were destroyed by fire, and he sought refuge in the military home at Dayton. Here he was first employed as bread-cutter, then as clerk and store-keeper in the tailor shop, next served as assistant timekeeper for several years, and since February, 1896, has been timekeeper.
The first marriage of Mr. Zimmerman was with Miss Emma Sarah Meade, a native of Connecticut, and to this union were born twelve children, of whom seven are still living. Two of these reside in Chicago, Ill., and three in Buffalo, N. Y., while the location of the other two is not known. The second marriage of Mr. Zimmerman took place in Lexington. Ky., in 1876, with Mrs. Katherina Piot, a soldier's widow, but to this union no children have been born. Mrs. Zimmerman was the mother of five children by her first marriage and these have been reared in the Zimmerman household, which occupies a very pleasant home on Fifth street, Dayton.
Mr. Zimmerman is a member of Dister post, No. 444, Grand Army Republic, of Dayton, and was a charter member of encampment No, 82, Union Veteran Legion. In religion he is a devout Roman Catholic, and in politics has always been a republican. He is a typical German, is frugal, and during his earlier and more productive years economized sufficiently to enable himself to provide the means for a good and comfortable home for his family.
JOHN FOWLER YOUNG [page 866] is a native of Dayton, Ohio, was born April 28, 1840, and is a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Fowler) Young. The father was born in Germany, served under Blucher in the war with Napoleon Bonaparte, and was still a comparatively young man when he came to America.
Henry Young was a gardener and nursery-man, and for a time was an overseer on a plantation in Louisiana; he came to Dayton about 1838, and was soon afterward married to Miss Fowler. He owned a tract of three acres in North Dayton, on which he carried on his business as a gardener until his death, which took place in 1846. His widow survived until 1883, when she was called away at the age of eighty-three years, dying in the faith of the German Reformed church.
Abel Fowler, the maternal grandfather of Mr. Young, was a miller by trade, and brought his family from Reading, Pa., to Dayton, Ohio, about the year 1835, or soon afterward. He purchased a farm of forty acres in what is now known as Dayton View. There were five children in his family, of whom four came with him to Dayton, and here his daughter Elizabeth was married to Mr. Young. Mr. Fowler died about the year 1852, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years.
John Fowler Young was reared to gardening in Dayton, to which he devoted himself until 1876, when he opened business as a florist, locating his greenhouse at Dayton View. In November, 1868, he married Miss Elizabeth Herby, daughter of George and Lydia (Corby) Herby, natives of England. Mrs. Herby and two of her children died in England, and in 1853 Mr. Herby and his only remaining child, now Mrs. Young, came to America, from Earls Barton, England, where the father had been employed in a large mill. On reaching Dayton Mr. Herby engaged in teaming, draying, etc. His life here, however, was very short, as he died in 1858, at the early age of thirty-seven years, leaving his daughter, then but fourteen years of age, alone in a strange land. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Young have been born six children. The home and greenhouse of Mr. Young are at No. 105 Holt street, and he also has a fine piece of property on the corner of Holt street and Young avenue; the store is at No. 21 East Fifth street, where Mrs. Young has charge of the cut flowers and takes care of the office business, while Mr. Young cares for his well-equipped greenhouses, supplying all kinds of floral decorations. The Young family are members of the Lutheran church, and fraternally Mr. Young is a member of the A. 0. U. W. They have a pleasant home in Dayton View, and enjoy the association and esteem of a large circle of friends.
OTTO ZEIL, [page 867] engraver in metal, die sinker, etc., and one of the most successful mechanics of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Baden, Germany, December 10, 1844, and was a lad of eight or nine years of age when he was brought to America by his parents, Joseph and Anna Zeil, who were also natives of Baden. Joseph Zeil was a weaver of woolen goods, and after settling in Cincinnati, Ohio, on his arrival in this country, followed his calling until advancing years made it necessary for him to retire. He lost his wife in Cincinnati in 1862, and in that city his own death occurred some years later, at the age of eighty-one years. There were but two sons born to Joseph and Anna Zeil, Otto and his brother Joseph, the latter now a farmer in Indiana. Joseph Zeil served entirely throughout the Civil war, first enlisting in the Eighth Indiana volunteer infantry, and later in the Sixty-ninth Indiana infantry, and since the war has served three years in the regular United States army.
Otto Zeil received a very good common-school education in Cincinnati and was then apprenticed to the general (metal) engraver's art, and while thus engaged enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixth Ohio volunteer infantry. He was sent to the front, and with his regiment was taken prisoner at Hartsville, Tenn., but was paroled and sent to Columbus, Ohio, for exchange. Here Mr. Zeil was prostrated by sickness and was discharged for disability; but on recuperating he enrolled himself as a member of the Tenth Ohio militia, which was later called into active service for 100 days and was placed on guard duty over prisoners at Johnson's Island, Lake Erie, Ohio, and at Cumberland, Md., and elsewhere. At the conclusion of this service he returned to Cincinnati and re-engaged in his early vocation until April, 1890, when he came to Dayton and established himself in business.
Mr. Zeil was married, in 1869, to Miss Sophia Troendle, a native of Germany, and to this marriage have been born five children, viz: Otto, a partner with his father in business; Louis, a resident of Cincinnati; Tillie, Albert and William, still at home with their parents. Mr. Zeil is a member of Old Guard post, G. A. R., of Dayton.
Otto Zeil, Jr., son of Otto and Sophia Zeil, and the partner of his father, under the firm name of Otto Zeil & Son, is almost the equal of his father in the art of metal engraving. The firm turn out to order, as specialties, embossing plates for book-binders; blank gilding rolls and tools; box printing plates; copper plates; steel stamps and everything pertaining to die sinking and stamping known to the art. Both father and son are skilled in the calling, and control almost the entire trade in their art in southwestern Ohio and adjacent territory.
AUGUST ZWIESLER, [pages 867-868] superintendent of the Burkhardt Furniture company of Dayton, is a native of the city, born on the 20th of July, 1859, and is a son of Constantine and Marguerite (Schimel) Zwiesler, the former of whom is still living, at an advanced age, while the mother passed away in the year 1893. Constantine Zwiesler was born in the province of Bavaria, Germany, in May, 1820, and at the age of twenty-six years emigrated to America and forthwith made his way to Montgomery county, Ohio, where he has ever since resided. He is a tailor by trade and followed this vocation until he was fifty-five years of age, when he retired from active business. In the early years of his residence here he held for some time the office of assessor. He has long been a zealous member and communicant of the Catholic church. Constantine and Marguerite Zwiesler became the parents of six children, of whom Christina is the wife of Michael Wise, of Dayton; Charles J. died in May, 1885; John H. is a resident of the state of Washington; Lewis lives at Kansas City, Mo.; August is the immediate subject of this review; and Annie still remains at the paternal home.
August Zwiesler received his early educational training in the excellent Catholic schools (Saint Mary's parish), of Dayton, and at the age of thirteen years he entered the employ of the Stomps-Burkhardt Chair company, where he remained for eleven years. He was then for two years in the service of Parrott & Gilbert, and subsequently for eight years with John Stengel & Company, resigning his position with this concern to become one of the organizers and incorporators of the Burkhardt Furniture company. Mr. Zwiesler is one of stockholders of the corporation and its superintendent. He is a member of Saint Joseph's Orphan society, and is identified also with the Knights of Saint John, of Emanuel Catholic Knights, and a member of Holy Rosary church.
Mr. Zwiesler was married on the 19th of February, 1888, to Miss Philomena Hunn, daughter of Adolph Hunn, and they are parents of four children, Aloyes, Joseph, Elenora and Charles.
CHARLES WORTHINGTON RAYMOND, [pages 868-871] second son of George M. and Eliza (Bonte) Raymond, was born in Dayton, Ohio, on the 17th day of January, 1851. George McMullen Raymond, his father, was an Ohioan whose place of nativity was near Cincinnati, and who married Eliza Ann Bonte, of Cincinnati, some time in the 'twenties. To them were born five children, all of whom reside in Indianapolis except Charles W., who lives in Dayton.
George M. Raymond was well known in former days as a leader of music and was an unusually sweet singer. He was the first person to introduce in Dayton what are known as round notes. He was a member of Wesley chapel, Methodist Episcopal church, and later one of the founders of Rapper chapel, of East Fifth street; was the first Sunday-school superintendent of that church and always an esteemed member, as well as a faithful Christian citizen. He was a member of Wayne lodge, No. 10, I. 0. 0. F., also of the encampment, and represented his lodge at one time in the grand lodge. He died in Indianapolis on the 16th of August, 1893, six years after the death of his wife.
Charles W. Raymond was educated in the public schools of Dayton. After his school life he associated himself with his father in business. He learned the trade of blacksmithing and wagonmaking, which trade afterward proved the foundation upon which his extensive business interests were built. In early life Mr. Raymond developed an unusual faculty for business, and this, with an inventive mind and habits of application, soon gained for him recognition as a prudent, careful business man, and success early crowned his efforts. During his entire life Mr. Raymond has been an ardent devotee of outdoor and athletic sports, and has done much to foster harmless amusements of this class among the younger generation. He has always been a lover of music, inheriting this taste from his father, and for many years affiliated with the various musical societies of the city.
Fraternally Mr. Raymond is a member of Wayne lodge, No. 10, I. 0. 0. F., also of the Essenic order; likewise a charter member of Linden lodge, K. of P. He is an influential member of the board of trade, associated charities, and other kindred organizations. He has done as much towards the material and industrial progress of the city of Dayton as any man of his age. Besides his extensive manufacturing interests, Mr. Raymond is the owner of ten or twelve business and residence buildings in Dayton. As a citizen and a business man, his standing in the community is very high, he being widely esteemed for his strong integrity and reliability. It is but just to say that Mr. Raymond inherits from both his father and mother a disposition of unusual energy and perseverance, which was characteristic of both families. He was married, in 1872, to Miss Viola Palmer, also of Dayton. To them were born three sons and one daughter: Ellis Palmer, Eliza Ann, George McMullen and Charles Herbert. Ellis, the eldest son, is associated with his father in business and has proven himself of great value, being the inventor of several very useful machines. He is also a musician of much merit, George has also started at the beginning, and promises a successful business career. Herbert, the youngest son, is pursuing his studies in the Steele high school of Dayton.
In 1880 George M. Raymond and his son, Charles W. Raymond, established the present brick machine works, under the firm name of G. M. Raymond & Son. Upon the retirement of G. M. Raymond in 1888, by reason of age, Charles W. Raymond bought his interest and established the business under the name of C. W, Raymond & Co., clay working machinery, with shops on the corner of First and Taylor streets.
Entering the market with a machine, a reversal of old ideas, and an addition of new ones, at a time when the market was ripe for it, he soon reaped the merited reward of his ingenuity, and today is at the head of a business, which manufactures machinery for the production of building brick, fire brick, pressed and ornamental brick, and terra cotta, also brick for the paving of streets, and shingles for the roofing of houses. Mr. Raymond's first invention, in 1886, was a machine for pressing terra cotta and ornamental brick, instead of making them by hand as formerly, which increased the production of thirty pieces per day to about 3,000 pieces per day; later he invented a power re-press for the manufacture of paving blocks, by which 10,000 blocks per day were produced, and still later he invented the Columbian special re-press, capable of pressing 30,000 paving blocks per day, a wonder in this line of work. These, however, form only a small part of his inventions, which followed closely one upon another. It has been his good fortune to design and invent much of the machinery which now goes to make up a modern brick plant.
The output of the Raymond factory is distributed throughout the United States and it has also a large export demand. The firm takes contracts for equipping the largest plants with all necessary machinery, which is set up and guaranteed, and no charge is ever made of inadequacy to do all that is claimed for it. This is the only concern of the kind in Dayton, and the ingenuity of Mr. Raymond has secured to it almost a monopoly of its peculiar products.
JOSEPH ZIZERT, [pages 871-872] contractor and builder, of Dayton, Ohio, was born A J near Salem, Ohio, October 16, 1859. He is a son of Christian and Elizabeth (Plum) Izzard, both natives of Germany, and who were the parents of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters, ten of whom are still living, as follows : John, Joseph, Christian, David, Samuel, Henry, Charles, Emma, Nettle and Mary. The one that is dead was named Lizzie, and she was the eighth in order of birth.
Christian Izzard was a farmer by occupation, and, coming to the United States, located twelve miles west of Dayton, where he lived until 1848, when he made an overland trip to California, traveling by means of an ox-team, and requiring 105 days to make the journey. Remaining there until 1851, engaged in gold mining, he returned by water to New York, and thence came again to Dayton, and located on the old farm at Salem, where he died in 1882 at the age of sixty-nine. His wife is still living on the old homestead. Her husband was, and she is, a member of the Lutheran church, standing high in religious circles and in general society.
The father of Christian Zizert was a stone-cutter by trade, and lived in Germany all his life, dying when nearly eighty years of age. The maternal grandfather of Joseph Zizert was named Charles Pflum, and also died in Germany. Mrs. Mary Pflum, his grandmother on his mother's side, died in Montgomery county in 1872, when she was nearly seventy-four years of age. She was one of the excellent women of pioneer days, and, dying, left many sincere friends to mourn her loss.
Joseph Zizert, the subject of this sketch, was reared upon the farm and received his early education in the district school. At the age of sixteen years he began learning the carpenter's trade, working eight years for Daniel Stouffer. After retiring from the employ of Mr. Stouffer he was a journeyman workman until 1890, when he removed to Dayton and began contracting upon his own account. During the time he has lived in Dayton he has erected many substantial residences and other buildings in this city.
In August, 1888, Mr. Zizert was married to Miss Kate Beekler, daughter of Henry and Matilda (Bouser) Beekler. To this marriage there have been born three children: Lottie, Charles and Robert. Mr. Zizert is a member of Riverdale Knights of Pythias, No. 639, and in politics is a democrat. Mr. Zizert and his family are among the substantial citizens of Dayton, standing high in all relations, and enjoy the confidence and respect of all that know them.
PROF. J. EMIL ZWISSLER, [pages 872-873] one of the leading musicians of Dayton, Ohio, was born in Urach, Germany, July 14, 1867, a son of G. A. and Mary Zwissler, the former of whom was a musician in the Theological university. Subject was prepared for his chosen profession by some of the finest masters of Europe, seven years of his life having been spent in preparatory study at the Stuttgart Royal conservatory of music under Profs. Von Faisst, Perry Goetschius and W. Speidel.
From this famous institution he was graduated in organ, piano and 'cello instrumentation and in musical composition, and later took a two years' course at the Royal high school for music in Berlin, under such famous masters as Haupt for the organ, Bargiel for composition, and Hausmann Joachim for the 'cello. Among some of Prof. Zwissler's productions which have been played in Berlin with unqualified approbation may be mentioned a concert overture for large orchestras, two string quartets, and several studies for the piano. For some time, also, Prof. Zwissler was engaged as director of a mixed chorus in his native historical city of Urach, where his marked musical talent and his success as a teacher of his art were widely recognized.
In March, 1892, Prof. Zwissler came to America, located at once in Dayton, and entered upon his career as a tutor in music, which has placed him at the head of his profession. He has large classes of pupils in all his departments of musical study, and is master of the male choruses in the Harmonia, Schwaebischer Saengerbund and Harugari Liederkranz, all musical organizations of Dayton. He is also employed every alternate week, as 'cellist in the Cincinnati Symphony orchestra. Since coming to America, Prof. Zwissler has written several high-class scores, including a string quintet and a symphony for large orchestras. The professor is a member of the Lutheran church of Dayton, and is prominent in social circles, having won many friends both by his personal qualities and by his professional successes.
GEORGE V. ALLEN, [page 873] manager of the Dayton agency of the Indiana Bicycle company, at 12 West Second street, is a native son of Dayton, and was born on the 20th of August, 1864, the son of James J. and Maggie (Knapp) Allen, both of whom are living. His lineage is of English and Scotch derivation. Mr. Allen was reared and educated in Dayton, and at the age of about fifteen years, entered the mercantile establishment of his father, where he was employed as a clerk for three or four years, after which he went to Chicago and entered the extensive wholesale establishment of Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co., dealers in hardware and milling and mining supplies. Here he remained for about three years, after which he went out as a commercial traveler for the house, representing its interests through Montana, Washington, Oregon and other sections of the northwest. Mr. Allen was thus employed for a period of two years, when impaired health compelled him to seek other employment. He accordingly resigned his position and returned to Dayton, where he engaged in the bicycle business, to which he has ever since devoted his attention and in which he has advanced to a prominent position among the bicycle agents of the state.
On the 1st of June, 1894, Mr. Allen was united in marriage to Miss Daisy M. Rockey, daughter of Henry Rockey, of Dayton. They are members of Raper Methodist Episcopal church, and their home is located on Reuben avenue.
The Indiana Bicycle company, of Indianapolis, whose wheel, the Waverley, Mr. Allen represents, is one of the most extensive concerns of the sort in America, and its plant is one which will bear comparison with any in the world in matters of facilities for rapid production, extent of mechanical equipment and character of its output. Mr. Allen is one of the best known and most popular representatives of wheeling interests in this section of the Buckeye state, and is one of the pioneers of the bicycle business in Dayton, having established a local agency for different wheels in 1888 and ever since devoted his attention to this now important line of industry. He is personally an enthusiastic wheelman, and this is evident in the fact that he has been a rider for the past sixteen years. In the year 1894 Mr. Allen assumed the agency for the Waverley wheels in Dayton, and he also attends to the management of the company's affairs throughout a considerable portion of the state, visiting the outside trade during the winter months.
ORION L. BOUCK, [pages 873-874] contractor and builder, of Dayton, was born July 6, 1853, in Greene county, Ohio. His parents were James Henry and Sarah (Aley) Bouck, the former of whom was a native of Maryland, of German descent, was a farmer and mill owner, and died in Greene county, Ohio, when Orion was but eight years of age; his widow lived to reach the age of fifty-nine years, and died in Dayton. Of their two children, Orion is the elder; his brother, Charles A., is a prosperous business man and a resident of Los Angeles, Cal.
Orion L. Bouck received his elementary education in the country schools of Greene county, came to Dayton when eighteen years of age, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the carpenter's trade under Abraham Cosier; he then worked one year as a journey-man in the shops in which he learned his trade, also one year as superintendent. Being now prepared to engage in business on his own account, he formed a partnership with Jacob Perrine, in the contracting and building industry. This continued for about three years, when, following its dissolution, Mr. Bouck alone carried on a similar business until 1884. He then erected a planing-mill, which he operated, in connection with contracting, until, in 1894, the 0. L. Bouck company was incorporated, with a capital stock of $75,000, and of this company Mr. Bouck was chosen president and manager. In January, 1896, he retired from the presidency, but still retains an interest as stockholder in the concern. In October, 1896, Mr. Bouck withdrew from active relations with the Bouck company, and entered upon his present extensive business as contractor and builder, operating a planing mill in connection therewith, at No. 107 Commercial street.
April 19, 1877, Mr. Bouck married Martha L. Meyers, a native of Dayton, and the daughter of James and Martha Meyers, the former of whom is a native of Germany, but came to America and located in Dayton in early youth, and the latter a native of the Buckeye state. Mr. and Mrs. Bouck have two children—Clifford R. and Margaret Dale. The son was educated in the city schools of Dayton and at Otterbein university, and has also been well trained in music; he is an athlete of more than ordinary strength and skill, and is now assistant book-keeper in his father's office. The daughter is a bright little girl of seven years.
Mr. and Mrs. Bouck and their son are members of the First United Brethren church. in which Mr. Bouck is a teacher in the Sunday-school, a class leader and a member of the official board. In politics, Mr. Bouck affiliates with the republican party, and is a strong advocate of temperance. Fraternally, he is a member of Dayton lodge. No. 273, I. 0. 0. F., and formerly held membership in the encampment, but has withdrawn from his connection with the latter body.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page