DAVID HECKMAN, [pages 983-984] one of the thrifty farmers of Randolph township, and the head of an excellent family, is a son of one of the original pioneers. He sprang from sturdy German stock, his immediate ancestors being residents of Virginia. David Heckman, his grandfather, was a farmer by occupation, and married Mary Ann Snuffer, by whom he had the following children: William, Catherine, Sarah, Rebecca, Mary, John, Henry, Aaron and Samuel. David Heckman and his family were members of the German Baptist church. In 1811 he removed to Clarke county, Ohio, settled in the woods and erected a log cabin. Clearing up 160 of land he began the life of a successful and prosperous farmer. He entered land in Clay township, Montgomery county, and in other places, and also bought land for his children in Kossuth and Whitley counties, Ind., giving each of them a farm. He was a man of sterling character and lived an upright and honorable life, dying at the ripe age of eighty years.
William Heckman, father of David, was born December 25, 1804, in Franklin county, Va., and was about seven years of age when brought to Ohio by his parents. By reason of the scarcity and the poor quality of schools in that day, he received but a limited education, On July 5, 1827, he was married in Clarke county to Miss Mary A. Brandenburg, who was born in Warren county, Ohio, April 28, 1808, and was a daughter of Samuel and Johannah Brandenburg, they being of German ancestry and old settlers of Maryland. William Heckman settled in Clay township, Montgomery county, on eighty acres which he had entered from the government, cleared it of its timber, and built a log cabin before a stick of timber had been cut for a like purpose anywhere in the vicinity. His was the only house for many miles around, and he continued for many years to live upon the spot upon which he thus erected the first home for his family. Through industry and perseverance he not only improved his original farm but added to it 100 acres of land, and erected thereon a brick dwelling. Mr. Heckman was a member of the German Baptist church and a deacon therein for many years. His children, all of whom were born in Clay township, were as follows: Jacob, born September 21, 1828; David, born May 15, 1830; Elizabeth, born October 6, 1832; Samuel, born March 25, 1835; Nancy, born September 1, 1837; Ezra, born December 6, 1840; Tabitha, .born February 11, 1843; and Mary, born January .11, 1847. Mr. Heckman died on his farm in 1872, aged sixty-seven years and one month, having led the life of a pioneer and achieved a deserved measure of success. Mrs. Heckman died September 10, 1855.
David Heckman, the subject of this sketch, was born May 5, 1830, on his father's farm in Clay township, received a good, common-school education, and became a farmer. He married, February 1, 1855, Hannah Brumbaugh, of Randolph township, born in 1834, and a daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Rinehart) Brumbaugh. For fuller mention of the Brumbaugh family the reader is referred to the biography of John R. Brumbaugh, elsewhere in this volume.
Mr. Heckman settled on his present farm of 100 acres of land given to Mrs. Heckman, to which he has added, by industry and thrift, twenty acres more. In 1860 Mr. Heckman built a substantial brick house, and later a good barn, as well as other improvements necessary on a properly conducted farm. He has lately added eighty acres to his land, and now enjoys the cultivation of 200 acres, constituting one of the best among the many fine farms of this section. .
To Mr. and Mrs. Heckman there have been born the following children: Amanda, Marietta, Elizabeth, Sarah, Ellen, and Samuel. He and his family are members of the German Baptist church, and stand high in the estimation of the community. Mr. Heckman is well known throughout the county as a man of worth and integrity.
HENRY M. HERMAN, D. D., [pages 984-985] pastor of the First Reformed church of Miamisburg, Ohio, was born in Pequea, Lancaster county, Pa., March 20, 1834, a son of Samuel and .Susan (Sorber) Herman, natives of Chester county, Pa. His paternal great-grandfather, Henry Herman, was: a native of Germany, and an early pioneer of Chester county, Pa., whose wife bore the maiden name of Ruth Ann Howard, and was a native of Lancashire, England. Henry Herman Jr., the only son of Henry, Sr., and the grandfather of Henry M., was born in Philadelphia, Pa., married Elizabeth Miller, a native of England, and also became a farmer of Chester county, Pa. John Sorber, the maternal grandfather of Henry. M. Herman, was of German descent and a merchant of Lancaster county, Pa. Samuel Herman, his father, was a carpenter by trade and passed all his life in the county of his nativity—Lancaster, Pa.
Rev. Henry M. Herman was reared to manhood in the county of his birth, received his elementary education in the common schools and passed to the high school of the city of Lancaster, and after graduating therefrom entered Franklin & Marshall college, of the same city, whence he was graduated in 1860 with the degrees of A. B. and A. M. He next attended the Theological seminary at Mercersburg, Franklin county, Pa., from which he graduated in 1862. (His degree of D. D. was conferred by the Heidelberg university, of Tiffin, Ohio, in 1883.) For twenty years, from 1862 until 1881, Mr. Herman was pastor of the Reformed church at West Alexandria, Ohio, and from 1881 until the present time has been the pastor of the First Reformed church of Miamisburg. During all these long years Mr. Herman has been ardent, faithful and self-sacrificing in his holy calling, and his labors have been abundantly rewarded by additions to his church membership. Gifted with a power of eloquence peculiarly adapted to the pulpit, his sermons have always been attractive and instructive, and being, moreover, scholarly in his attainments and profound in theology, his discourses are naturally quite convincing.
Rev. Mr. Herman was united in the bonds of matrimony, May 10, 1862, with Miss Bella D. Orr, daughter of Hunter and Margaret L. (Lawson) Orr, of Lawsonham, Pa., and this union has been crowned by the birth of six children, in the following order: Susan (Mrs. Charles E. Weaver), Fannie, Margaret (Mrs. Daniel Bookwalter), Howard H., Mary and Maurice. Mr. Herman is a thirty-second degree Mason and a Knight Templar, and is also a member of the I. 0. 0. F. He is a member of the board of regents of Heidelberg university, and has made himself useful and prominent in many charitable movements on the part of the church. In politics he is a republican.
WILLIAM H. HOFFMAN, [pages 985-986] superintendent of the Louis Newburgh Tobacco Packing company, of Germantown, Ohio, and the largest concern of the kind in the United States, was born in German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, September 30, 1853, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Fink) Hoffman, natives, respectively, of Pennsylvania and Germany.
John Hoffman, by occupation a farmer, passed the greater part of his life in German township, and had born to his marriage eleven, children, of whom nine grew to maturity, viz; Mary, now Mrs. Levi Kissinger; John, who served as a soldier in the late Civil war; Levi; Michael; Elizabeth, the wife of Peter Heller; Leah, married to John Limbaugh; Susan, now Mrs. Levi Medler; William H., and Julia, who is the wife of Harvey King.
William H. Hoffman came to manhood in his native township, received his primary education in the district schools, and later passed through a course of instruction in Holbrook's college, in Lebanon, Ohio. He begun his business life as a clerk in a grocery in Germantown, but a year later embarked in tobacco growing; since 1878, however, he has been in the employ of the Louis Newburgh Tobacco Packing company—first as foreman for fourteen years; and next as superintendent of the business, which position he has most satisfactorily filled since 1892.
Mr. Hoffman was united in marriage, September 30, 1875, with Flora Miller, daughter Jacob and Rebecca (Welsh) Miller, of German township. Mrs. Hoffman died, in the faith of the Lutheran church, June 6, 1895. Mr. Hoffman, in his societary relations, is a master Mason, and is also a member of canton Frank, I. 0. 0. F., encampment of Germantown. In his political affiliations he is a democrat.
REV. SAMUEL L. HERR, [pages 986-987] one of the prominent ministers of Montgomery county and a thriving farmer of Randolph township, springs from Pennsylvania ancestors. His remote ancestors came from Switzerland on account of religious persecution and settled in Pennsylvania under the protection of William Penn. They were Mennonites in religion, or followers of Menno Simons, who founded the modern school of Anapabtists in Holland, about 1540. In after years some of these religionists settled on the Susquehanna river, in Pennsylvania, and were collected together by John and Jacob Engle, who formed them into a new denomination and called them Brethren in Christ. Menno Simons died in 1561, a man of gentle, earnest, modest and spiritual nature, and without any of the characteristics of a fanatic.
The grandfather of the subject was a farmer of Lebanon county, Pa., a member of the River Brethren denomination, and, it is believed, a minister. Of his children who are remembered, the following may be named: Abraham, Henry, Randolph, and Samuel, all of whom were reared on the old home farm at Lebanon, Pa.
Samuel Herr, the father of Samuel L., was born in Lebanon county, Pa., in 1796; became a prosperous farmer, and married, in that county, Elizabeth Long, daughter of Abraham Long. Mr. Herr became a minister in the church of the River Brethren and preached therein many years. Selling his farm in Lebanon county, Pa., he removed to Ohio in 1832, settling on the farm on which his son now lives. At first he purchased 260 acres, to which, by prudence and energy, he added other tracts until at length he owned 400 acres, becoming one of the most successful farmers in the county. Much of this land he cleared and improved, erecting good buildings and making a good home for his family. He was one of the first ministers of his church in this part of the country. In company with Rev. John Wenger, whose biography is elsewhere printed in this volume, he aided to found the first church organization of the kind in the county, and also aided in the erection of its first house of worship.
He and his wife were the parents of the following children; Abraham, Mary, Nancy, Fannie, Samuel L., Christian, Hettie, Elizabeth, Sarah, and John. Rev. Mr. Herr lived to the great age of seventy-two years, dying on his farm, a man of wide experience and knowledge, and of great generosity and usefulness. He was noted everywhere for his high Christian character.
Rev. Samuel L. Herr, who was born April 6, 1828, was about four years old when brought to Ohio by his parents, and well remembers many incidents of that journey, which was made by means of teams and wagons. He received the common-school education of the days of his youth, and became a farmer. On January 20, 1853, when he was twenty-three years of age, he married, in Dayton, Ohio, Miss Catherine Hocker, who was born October 21, 1832, and is a daughter of John and Catherine (Sterling) Hocker. For fuller mention of the Hockers the reader is referred to the biography of Jesse K. Brumbaugh, elsewhere published in this volume.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Herr settled on a part of the Herr homestead, farming some 210 acres. Of this he gave his son. a farm, retaining for himself 126 acres, which he has improved in many ways. Mr. Herr was ordained a minister in the church more than thirty years ago, and has ever since been engaged in preaching the gospel. He has always been liberal in his support of the church, and is widely known for his good works. To him and his wife there have been born the following children: Edna, David, Lavina, Levi, Omer, who died when twenty years of age; Martha, who died when three years old; and Mary, who died when two years old. Rev. Mr. Herr has been a life-long and earnest Christian, descending from a family of religious people. His personal character and his devotion to the cause of the church have won him the affection and esteem of a host of friends.
HENRY HERR, [page 987] farmer of Randolph township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and an old resident of the county, sprang from Pennsylvania Dutch ancestry. His grandfather, Daniel Herr, was a cabinetmaker and miller by trade, and married Elizabeth Miller. John Herr, the original ancestor of the family in this country, came from Switzerland, and was one of the earliest settlers of Pennsylvania. Daniel Herr was a citizen of Lancaster county, Pa., and there died at the age of about sixty-five years. He and his wife had the following children: Samuel, Martha, Rachael, Christiana, Mary, Joseph and Benjamin, and one that died when quite young, Daniel Herr was one of the solid men of his day, and fairly representative of the Pennsylvania stock, so many of whose descendants are today valued citizens of the Miami valley.
Samuel Herr, father of Henry, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., in 1805. Reared as a farmer, he also became a carpenter and contractor. He married Mary Bowman, in Pennsylvania, daughter of Henry and Esther Bowman. Mr. Herr removed to Clarke county, Ohio, in 1850, where he remained for one year, coming in 1851 to Montgomery county, Ohio. Here he purchased 214 acres of land, which had been partly cleared. The remainder he cleared and converted the whole into an excellent farm, improving it in many ways, but especially by the erection of good buildings, Mr. Herr was a practical and progressive farmer, and one of the most successful of his day. His children were as follows: Susan, now deceased; Henry, and Levi, the latter of whom died when about twenty-six years old. Politically Mr. Herr was a republican, and was a man of high character and strong convictions.
Henry Herr was born July 30, 1857, in Lancaster county, Pa., on a farm, and with his parents came to Montgomery county, Ohio. His father was a firm believer in the value of educating the young, and gave to each of his children the best education practicable for him to give. Young Herr being brought up on a farm became a farmer, and has always followed that occupation. Receiving 120 acres of his father's estate, he still retains it and has brought it up to a high state of cultivation. He is one of the progressive and successful farmers of his county. Politically Mr. Herr is a republican, standing high in his party's esteem, and is respected for the fine qualities of his character and disposition.
JOHN HERSHEY, [pages 987-989] a progressive farmer of Randolph township, is of sterling Swiss ancestry. His remote ancestor came to Pennsylvania in early colonial times, a member of William Penn's colony, and was thus among the earliest settlers of that commonwealth, locating in Lancaster county. This colony fled from religious persecution in Europe, and its members became most excellent citizens of Pennsylvania, Jacob Hershey, the grandfather of John, was a farmer of Lancaster county, Pa., living five miles west of the present city of Lancaster; at what was then called "The Manor." He there owned a large farm and a stone flouring mill. having built what is still known as the Hershey mill.
Jacob Hershey married Barbara Heistand, by whom he had the following children: John, Jacob, Henry, Andrew, Benjamin, Elizabeth and Annie. Jacob Hershey was in religion a Mennonite, as was his father before him. He lived to be nearly seventy years old and died on his farm, a man of property and much respected. Jacob Hershey, his son and father of John, was born on the old Hershey homestead, which had been in the family for generations. He received the usual common-school education of the times of his youth, and was well informed, considering the opportunities afforded him. Brought up a farmer, he also acquired the milling trade, taking charge of his father's, mill. He married Miss Mary Hertzler, who was born in Lancaster county, Pa., and was a daughter of John and Barbara (Weldy) Hertzler. John Hertzler and wife were the parents of the following children: John, Elizabeth, Daniel, Mary, Jacob, Benjamin, Ann and Lavina.
Jacob Hershey ran the old mill until 1835, and then came to Ohio, locating in Clarke county, where he bought a farm. This he afterward sold and bought the Speaker estate, owning at one time 800 acres of land. He was a most substantial man of affairs, and carried on a large business with decided ability and success. He lived to the venerable age of eighty years, dying in Clarke county, Ohio, esteemed for his personal character and remembered for his virtues as a citizen. Politically he was an old line whig, and later in life a republican and a strong Union man. One of his sons, Benjamin, was in the late Civil war, in an Indiana regiment of infantry, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea.
John Hershey, the subject of this sketch, was born September 20, 1814, in Lancaster county, Pa., on the homestead of his grandfather, in a stone house built in 1772; While receiving the common-school education of those days he also learned farming and milling, and came with his father to Ohio in 1835, and in Clarke county managed the mill. Afterward for some years he operated a mill near Dayton, Ohio, then traveled through Illinois, Iowa and Missouri, and on October 20, 1852, married in Randolph township, Miss Christian Hocker, who was a daughter of John and Catherine (Sterling) Hocker. For fuller mention of these people the reader is referred to the biography of Jesse K. Brumbaugh, elsewhere published in this volume.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hershey settled in Clarke county, where he followed farming for about two years, when he removed his family to Preble county, Ohio, and there was engaged for two years in milling. Then removing to Randolph township, Montgomery county, he followed farming for nine years, at the end of which period he purchased his present farm. This was in 1866. The farm contained 175 acres, and was only partially improved. However, since it was bought by Mr. Hershey, he has added much to its convenience and value, by the erection of a commodious brick residence, and of other good buildings. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hershey are as follows: Benjamin Franklin, who lives in Dayton and is a successful lawyer; Rev. Henry; Jacob; Mary C., who died when twenty years of age; Albert J., who died when twenty-three years of age; Ira; Martha E.; Anna; Ida; Esta; and Edna. Mr. and Mrs. Hershey are members of the River Brethren church, and in politics Mr. Hershey is a republican. Mr. Hershey is a man of excellent character, and one in whom all who know him have the utmost confidence.
JACOB W. HOLDERMAN, [pages 989-990] of New Lebanon, Perry township, one of the veteran soldiers of the late Civil war, was born in Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, December 19, 1840, and is a son of John and Eliza (Repp) Holderman. Educated in the common schools, he enlisted in company G, Eleventh: Ohio volunteer infantry, in April, 1861, under the first call of President Lincoln, for 75,000 three months' troops. Having served out his term of enlistment he was honorably discharged at Camp Dennison, Ohio. Returning to Montgomery county he re-enlisted in Dayton in October, 1862, in company G, Sixty-ninth Ohio Volunteer infantry, for three years, or during the war, and served until discharged on surgeon's certificate of disability from hospital at Nashville, Tenn., August 4, 1863. He was in the battles of Stone River, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, and several skirmishes, and was at Gallatin after John Morgan's men. He was twice captured during his term of service and was in Libby prison. forty days, when he was exchanged and rejoined his regiment. He was permanently disabled through sleeping on the ground, and lay in hospital at Nashville, Tenn., from April 28 to, August 4, 1863. He has ever since been a sufferer from the effects of his exposures during the war.
On December 17, 1865, Mr. Holderman was married to Sarah J. Terhune, who was born at Peru, Ind., and who died in the following October, leaving no children. Mr. Holderman again married in July, 1872, his second wife being Matilda Gorman, the daughter of Patrick German. The children by this marriage are Chauncey and Harry. Mrs. Holderman died October 2, 1877, and Mr. Holderman married for his third wife Rebecca J. Lewis, who was born near New Albany, Ind., and is a daughter of Richard and Rebecca (Fishburn) Lewis. To this marriage there have been born the following children: Louis E. Izette M., Jasper E., Ray, Jesse A., Grace I., and Charles J. After the termination of the war Mr. Holderman went to Indiana, and later lived two years in the soldiers' home in Dayton, Ohio. In 1883 he located in New Lebanon, Ohio, where he has been variously engaged. For two years he was marshal of the place, and is now in the hack business in New Lebanon, Notwithstanding his disability Mr. Holderman has been persistently industrious. Politically he has always been a republican, and he is a member, of the Grand Army of the Republic, Al Mason post, No. 598, of Miamisburg, Ohio. He was a good soldier, active and efficient, in the performance of every duty until disabled, and until that time was in all the battles, marches and campaigns in which his regiment was engaged.
John G. Holderman, father of Jacob W., was born in Jefferson township, where the soldiers' home now stands. He is a son of Jacob Holderman and his wife, Sarah J. (Caylor) Holderman. Jacob Holderman was a farmer and also ran a still, as was the case with many of the early settlers. For thirteen years he was superintendent of the Montgomery county infirmary, and died at the age of sixty-four. His children were as follows: Henry, John C., Jacob, David, Joseph, Daniel, Christopher, George, Absalom, Melinda, Mary A. and Julia A. Jacob Holderman was born near Lancaster, Pa., and came of Dutch ancestors. His great grandfather came from Germany and lived to be 100 years and three months old. John C. Holderman was born December 16, 1819, and reared the following children: Jacob W., Daniel R., Elizabeth, Philip J., Amanda, Julia A., Ella, Maggie and Nettie, all of whom are now living. Mr. Holderman, served his country during the late Civil war in the Sixty-ninth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, as wagon master. After the war he returned to his farm in Jefferson township, upon which he lived until his death in 1884. Politically he was always a republican, and as a citizen was of sterling character and excellent social and business qualities.
The Holderman family is one of the best in the county, patriotic and honorable and highly esteemed. Daniel R. Holderman, brother of Jacob W., also served his country in the war as a member of the Sixty-ninth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, being in the service four years. Five of his uncles were soldiers in the late war, viz: John C., Jacob, David, Joseph and Daniel, thus making seven of the family who fought for the preservation of the Union.
GEORGE W. HOUS, M. D., [pages990-991] the leading physician and surgeon of Randolph township, Montgomery county, Ohio, is a native of this county and of German origin.
George Hous, grandfather of the doctor, came from Virginia, was a pioneer of Preble county, Ohio, there cleared up a farm from the wilderness, and reared a large family of children, of whom the name of the following are remembered: Adam, Simeon, John, Polly, Permelia, Sallie, Ella and Andrew. He lived to be eighty-four years of age and died in the faith of the Lutheran church.
Andrew Hous, son of George and the father of Dr. Hous, was born in Preble county, November 29, 1820, came to Montgomery county when a young man, and here married Mary Reichard, a native of this county and daughter of Joseph and Mary Reichard. Joseph was a native of Lancaster county. Pa., of German descent, and a pioneer of Perry township, Montgomery county. He had been a soldier in the war of 1812, and, after coming to Perry township, cleared a large farm, and for eighteen years served as a township trustee. He reared a family of four children—Elizabeth, William, Joseph and Mary, and died at the advanced age of eighty-nine years, a member of the Lutheran church.
Andrew Hous and wife located in Perry township on a farm of no acres, all, with the exception of thirteen acres, being in the forest. Mr. Hous cleared and improved the entire tract, building a substantial residence; and here he passed the remainder of the active years of his life until his retirement to Brookville, where his death took place May 25, 1895, at the age of seventy-five years. In religion he was a New School Lutheran, and in politics a democrat. His widow is still living in Brookville and has reached the age of seventy-three years, and their children, living, are as follows: Joseph, Elizabeth, George W. and Sarah M,
Dr. George W. Hous was born July 5, 1849, in his father's original log cabin on the farm in Perry township, and received his early education in the district school at Pyrmont; this was supplemented by attending the school at Brookville and the normal school at Lebanon; he then entered the Medical college of Ohio at Cincinnati, where he received his diploma in 1877. He also studied medicine under Dr. Levi Spitler, of Dayton, and began practice at Pyrmont in the same year, 1877; and in October, 1878, removed to Salem, where he has since remained, enjoying a lucrative practice. In 1883 Dr. Hous attended the Polyclinic institute in New York city and the Long Island Hospital college at Brooklyn, N.Y., thus adding materially to his medical knowledge and skill. He is a member of the Montgomery county Medical society, the Ohio state Medical association, and the American Medical association, and is a patron and reader of the best medical journals of the day, his library being filled with the most approved works on medicine and surgery extant, and all the time that can be spared from his practice, which now embraces a large territory in and around Salem, is devoted to the study of the latest methods and advances in medicine.
Dr. Hous was married at Salem October 21, 1884, to Miss Nannie Irene Carl, who was born in Greenville, December 29, 1858, the only child of Jacob and Armanda J. (Schaeffer) Carl. Her father, Jacob Carl, a miller, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., came to Montgomery county, Ohio, when a young man, and married Amanda J. Schaeffer, a native and resident of Germantown, born July 4, 1837, a daughter of David and Susannah (Ketro) Schaeffer. David Schaeffer, a farmer, was born in Adams county, Pa., and for sometime after coming to Germantown, Ohio, followed the trade of carpenter. His children were named Arthur A. M., Rebecca, Wilkerson, Mary A., Amanda J., Matilda, Charles and David. The father of these children died in Salem at an advanced age, a member of the United Brethren church. Jacob Carl followed milling for a number of years in Germantown, and then bought a farm in Butler township, where he passed the remainder of his life, dying at the early age of forty years.
To the marriage of Dr. and Mrs. Hous have been born four children—Nellie C., Everett B., Mary A., who died at the age of three years, and Lincoln Rome. The parents are members of the United Brethren church; in politics the doctor is a republican, and has served as treasurer of Randolph township. Fraternally, he is a member of Randolph lodge, No. 98, I. 0. 0. F.
GEORGE W. HUBLER, [pages 991-992] of Miamisburg, Ohio, traveling salesman and collector for the McCormick Harvesting Machine company, of Chicago, was born in Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, February 22, 1848, a son of George W. and Salome (Lesher) Hubler and grandson of Michael and Margaret (Gebhart) Hubler, natives of Pennsylvania and pioneers of Miami township.
Michael Hubler was a native of Berks county, Pa., a son of Michael Hubler, and settled in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, about 1808, where he engaged in farming, and lived to be over ninety-two years of age. His wife was a daughter of Michael and Margaret Gebhart, natives of Pennsylvania, who settled in Miami township in 1806, cleared and improved the farm now owned and occupied by A. J. Hubler and died there. She bore him six children—Elizabeth (Mrs. John Wrights), George W., Andrew J., Margaret, Perry and Louisa (Mrs. Samuel Bechtolt).
George W. Hubler, father of subject, was born in Miami township in 1810; after attaining his majority, he engaged in farming in Jefferson township until 1860, when he removed to Miamisburg and conducted a clothing and tailoring establishment up to 1870, when he retired from business on account of ill health. During the late Civil war he served 100 days as a member of company D, One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, received an honorable discharge at the expiration of service, and died in 1872. His wife was a daughter of Jacob Lesher, a pioneer of Miami township. She bore him three children—Christiana (Mrs. John Weaver), George W. and John H.
George W. Hubler, the subject, was reared in Montgomery county, educated in the public schools, and began life for himself as a telegraph operator, which calling he followed for two years—1868-69. He then served an apprenticeship of four years at the carpenter's trade, and in 1873 went west, and was employed as engineer on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, and Denver & Rio Grande railroads until 1879, when he returned to Miamisburg, and entered the machinery department of the Hoover & Gamble works, where he remained until 1888—a part of the time being on the road as traveling agent. In 1889 he was traveling salesman for the Champion Reaper «& Mower company of Springfield, Ohio, and in June, 1890, entered into a contract with the McCormick company of Chicago, with whom he has since been engaged as salesman and collector.
Mr. Hubler was married November 12, 1867, to Sally, daughter of David and Margaret (Neible) Hetzel, of Miami township, and has two sons — Herbert H. and Robert L. He is a royal arch Mason, a member of the I. 0. 0. F. encampment, canton Groby, and a K. of P.; in politics he is a republican, and in his business relations is energetic, painstaking and faithful to every duty entrusted to his care.
HENRY C. HUNT, [pages 992-993] one of the best known citizens and business men of Miamisburg, Montgomery county, was born in Wayne township, Butler county, Ohio, August 30, 1827, a son of Edward and Rachael (Sheafor) Hunt.
Edward Hunt was a native of New Jersey and a son of Edward and Susannah (Pearson) Hunt, of English descent. He settled in Wayne township, Butler county, Ohio, in 1818, and, being a tanner by trade, engaged in tanning, shoemaking and farming, and carried on a successful business until his death, in 1835. His wife was a daughter of Peter Sheafor, also a native of New Jersey, of German descent, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and who, after living a few years in Kentucky, settled in Lemon township, Butler county, Ohio, in 1803, where he cleared up and improved a farm, on which he passed the remainder of his life.
Henry C. Hunt received a very good education in the common and select schools of his native township, and began his business life as a clerk in a dry-goods store in Hamilton, Ohio, in 1845, in which position he remained two years. He then, in 1847, embarked in the dry-goods trade on his own account in Miltonville, Butler county, in which he continued eight years, after which he farmed in Madison township until 1862. He then removed to Seven Mile, Butler county, and engaged in the grain business until 1868, when he came to Miamisburg and engaged in the manufacture of carriage wheels as a member of the firm of Bookwalter Bros. & Co., with whom he was associated as secretary and treasurer until the concern was merged into the American Wheel company in 1890. Since that time, Mr. Hunt has done no more active work than properly guarding the investment of his capital. He has been president of the Miamisburg Building & Loan association since its organization in April, 1893, has been a stockholder in the First National bank, and is also interested in the Western Linoleum company, manufacturers of oil-cloth, etc., at Akron. Ohio.
The marriage of Mr. Hunt was solemnized June 3, 1856, with Miss Catherine K. Kumler, daughter of Jacob and Hannah (Flickinger) Kumler, of Butler county, and residents of Ohio, since 1819. Mrs. Hunt is a niece of Bishop D. K. Flickinger, of the United Brethren church, and a granddaughter of Bishop Henry Kumler, of the same organization, The latter came from Lancaster county, Pa., and settled in Butler county, Ohio, in 1819. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Hunt have been born four children, viz: Charles E., H. Jennie (deceased), Rachel L. (Mrs. W. D. Hoover), and William F. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt have long been consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, Mr. Hunt also having been superintendent of the Sabbath-school for seven years. He is a master Mason, in politics is a republican, and for nine years was a member of the school board. He is one of Miamisburg's most public-spirited citizens and has done much to increase the city's prosperity by the erection of business houses and other structures when needed, and has never failed to aid in promoting enterprises designed for the good of the general public. No man in the community stands higher in its esteem than does Henry C. Hunt.
SAMUEL JUDY, [pages 993-994] a retired farmer, now residing in Germantown, Ohio, was born on the old Judy homestead, in German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, June 28, 1821, and is a son of Jacob and Catherine (Hitzler) Judy.
Christian Judy, his grandfather, was a son of Swiss parents, who came to America about 1760 and settled in Lancaster county. Pa. He married, in that state, a Miss Cooper, who bore to him six children, named John, Jacob, Elizabeth (Mrs. John Keller), Catherine (Mrs. Samuel Hitzler), Mary (Mrs. John Smith), still living in Montgomery county, Ohio, and Michael. From Dauphin county, Pa., Christian Judy brought his family to Ohio in 1805, and settled in German township, Montgomery county, on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Jacob, a brother of Samuel Judy. While clearing and improving this land he at times also worked at shoemaking, perhaps for a number of years, his sons in the meanwhile doing the work. On this farm the old pioneer died in 1850, at the ripe old age of seventy-two years.
Jacob Judy, the father of Samuel, was born in Pennsylvania and came to Ohio with his father; he was reared on the original Judy farm in German township, which he assisted in clearing in his early manhood. He married Miss Catherine Hitzler, daughter of George and Catherine (Ream) Hitzler, pioneers of German township. This union was blessed with seven children, born in the following order: John, Mary (Mrs. John Fontz), Samuel, Catherine (Mrs. Dr. James Comstock), Susan (Mrs. William Kemp), Jacob (now occupying the old farm), and Elizabeth (Mrs. Dr. Daniel Eckert). After a long and useful life, the father of this family, Jacob Judy, died on the homestead in German township at the advanced age of eighty-three years.
Samuel Judy was reared to farming and received the common-school education usually given the children of our pioneer farmers, his school attendance being limited to two months in the year. On attaining his majority, Mr. Judy, in 1842, sold his interest in his patrimony and removed to Preble county, Ohio, where he purchased a farm of 500 acres, of which he still owns 324 acres, and there he remained until November, 1886, when he returned to his native township, where he has since lived in contented retirement.
Samuel Judy was united in marriage October 28, 1841, with Mary M. Ream, daughter of Martin and Catherine (Wisler) Ream, who were among the earlier settlers of German township. Of the nine children born to Samuel Judy and wife, seven reached maturity, viz: Jacob, who died of wounds received at the battle of Arkansas Post, in the late Civil war; Martin, who was the second born; Catherine, now the wife of George W. Hanger; Abraham, who resides in Butler county, Ohio; Mary, who is the wife of Henry H. Flickenger; Charlie, who lives in Kansas; Lettie, now Mrs. George I. Coleman, of Butler county. Mrs. Mary M. Judy, a most estimable woman, was called away by death, and Mr. Judy married Mrs. Elizabeth (Francis) Williams, daughter of Samuel and Eda (Ford) Francis, of German township, but formerly of Lancaster county, Pa. George Francis, the paternal grandfather of the present Mrs. Judy, was a gallant soldier in the war of the Revolution, and was one of the foremost pioneers of Butler county, Ohio, deriving his warrant for his land from the United States government as a reward for his faithful services throughout the war for American independence. To the second marriage of Mr. Judy no children have been born. Mr. and Mrs. Judy are members of the United Brethren church, and in politics Mr. Judy is a republican.
JACOB KAUFFMAN, [page 994] manufacturer of carriages, Miamisburg, Ohio, was born in Annville township, Lebanon county, Pa., October 24, 1830. He is a son of Jacob and Sarah (Schirk) Kauffman, and of Swiss descent. His paternal grandfather, Abraham Kauffman, was a son of Abraham Kauffman, and he a son of Frederick Kauffman, who was born in Switzerland in 1709, and in 1734 immigrated to America, settling in Annville township, Lebanon county, Pa. He was a Mennonite bishop, and died in 1789, aged eighty years. From this original Kauffman the father of the subject indirectly received the original Kauffman homestead in Lebanon county, Pa. Upon this old homestead stands the Kauffman meeting house, which was originally a church of the Mennonite denomination, but which has later been rebuilt and is now known as the Kauffman meeting house, and owned by the United Brethren church. This farm remained in possession of the Kauffman family until 1839, and even now goes by the name of the Kauffman farm, as the church does by that of the Kauffman meeting house. It stands five miles west of Lebanon and one and a half miles north of Annville.
Jacob Kauffman, whose name opens this sketch, was reared in his native county, received a common-school education, and in 1846 was apprenticed to the carriagemaker's trade, serving four years. For two years afterward he worked at his trade as a journeyman, and in 1853 embarked in business for himself at Jonestown, Lebanon county, Pa., where he remained in business until April 4, 1865. He then went to Meadville, Pa., where he worked as a journeyman for some time, and in 1867 started a carriage factory at Troy, Ohio, which he operated until January 1, 1869. Coming to Miamisburg, he founded the Kauffman & Co. Carriage works, which in 1880 became Kauffman & Sons; and in 1883 the name was changed to the Kauffman Buggy company, under which style it is now operated. In the manufacture of first-class carriages, the firm is known from the Atlantic to the Pacific ocean as one whose work is always up to the highest standard.
Mr. Kauffman was married in November, 1851, to Marian Leasher, daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Selzer) Leasher, of Jonestown, Pa. To this marriage there have been born six children, as follows : Thomas J., William J., Harry L., Ann E. (Mrs. H. L. Kincaid), James A. and Richard B. Mr. Kauffman and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Fraternally, Mr. Kauffman is a member of the A. 0. U. W. and of the Knights of Honor, and politically he is a sound republican. In nearly thirty years of residence in Miamisburg, he has achieved a fine reputation as a business man and has taken a prominent place as one of the most useful and excellent citizens of that community.
THOMAS JOSEPH KAUFFMAN, [page 995] one of the best known young business men and popular citizens of Miamisburg, Ohio, was born in Annville, Lebanon county, Pa., January 13, 1853, a son of Jacob and Marian (Leasher) Kauffman, of the fifth generation from Frederick Kauffman, the founder of the family in America.
Frederick Kauffman was born in Switzerland in 1709, came to America in 1734, and settled at Annville, Pa., where he erected what is still known as the Kauffman Mennonite church, of which denomination he was a bishop. His son, Abraham, became the father of a son, also named Abraham, who also had a son named Abraham, whose son, Jacob, is the father of our subject. All these descendants of the original immigrant were tillers of the soil with the exception of Jacob, who was early apprenticed to carriagemaking and is now the president of the Kauffman Buggy company of Miamisburg, Ohio.
Benjamin Leasher, the maternal grandfather of Thomas J. Kauffman, was a citizen of Lebanon county, Pa., a major in the United States volunteer service in the war of 1812, and after the close of that war served as major in the Eleventh battalion, Pennsylvania militia, for many years.
Thomas Joseph Kauffman was reared and educated in the Keystone state until 1867, when he came to Ohio with his parents, who settled in Miamisburg. Here young Kauffman at once began to learn the trade of carriagemaking with his father, and was fully instructed in every detail of the business. Upon completing his apprenticeship he became a member of the firm of Kauffman & Son, and upon the incorporation of the Kauffman Buggy company, in 1883, he was made its secretary, which position he filled with marked ability until 1885, when he became general traveling agent. In this capacity he developed a very large wholesale demand for the company's productions, which now have not only a national, but an international, reputation for their excellence and have been awarded numerous medals and diplomas for their superiority by all the leading expositions throughout this and other countries.
Mr. Kauffman was most happily married, June 20, 1876, to Miss Cora Allen, daughter of Firman and Louisa (Platt) Allen, of Miamisburg, three children being the result of the union, viz: Allen, Cora and Thomas J., Jr. The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics Mr. Kauffman is a republican, under the auspices of which party he is now serving his fourth term as treasurer of Miamisburg. Fraternally, he is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Jr. 0. U. A. M., and K. of P.; he is also colonel of the Fourth regiment, uniform rank, K. of P., and in this position, as well as in all others that he has held, has won the well-merited approbation of his associates.
FELIX KERSTING, [pages 995-996] a prominent and successful merchant tailor of Miamisburg and a leading citizen of the place, was born in Wunnenberg, Germany, June 7, 1850. He is a son of Anthony and Mary C. (Doeren) Kersting. In his native country he received a good education in the common schools, and when thirteen years of age was apprenticed to the tailor's trade, serving an apprenticeship of three years. Afterward he worked as a journeyman for three years, and in 1869, when he was nineteen years of age, he emigrated to the United States. Upon arriving in this country he located in Quincy, Ill., and there worked at his trade for three years, removing to Cincinnati in 1872. In Cincinnati he remained nine years in the leading tailoring establishment in the city, and during this period he perfected himself in the art of cutting. In January, 1881, he removed to Miamisburg and embarked in the merchant tailoring business on his own account. After two years he formed a partnership with Henry Heitmann, and the business was then carried on for eight years under the firm name of Heitmann & Kersting. This partnership was dissolved in 1891, and since then Mr. Kersting has been conducting the business alone. In 1895 he erected the fine brick building on Main street which he now occupies as a store and residence. Soon after locating in Miamisburg, Mr. Kersting established a reputation for excellent workmanship, and, being gifted with good taste and judgment and thoroughly skilled in his vocation, he has steadily increased the large trade that he early secured, and now has a flourishing business.
Mr. Kersting was married, February 15, 1881, to Emma Glaser, daughter of Xavier and Caroline (Kessler) Glaser, of Miamisburg. To this marriage there have been born five children, who are still living, as follows: David, Albin, Clara, Marie, and Raymond. Mr. and Mrs. Kersting have also an adopted daughter, Katie. Mr. Kersting is an adherent of the Catholic faith, and takes great interest in the work of his church. He is also a member of the Catholic Knights of Ohio, maintaining an excellent standing in the order, and, in politics, is a democrat, though he has never been a seeker after office.
WlLLIAM J. KAUFFMAN, [pages 996-997] of Montgomery county, president and superintendent of the Enterprise Carriage Manufacturing company, Miamisburg, was born in Jonestown, Lebanon county, Pa., January 4, 1855. He is a son of Jacob and Marian (Leasher) Kauffman, who were of Swiss descent, and who came to Miamisburg in 1869. For his fuller genealogy, reference is made to the biographies of Jacob and T. J. Kauffman, elsewhere in this volume.
William J. Kauffman was educated in the public schools of Meadville, Pa., of Troy and of Miamisburg, Ohio. At the age of sixteen he began an apprenticeship at the carriagemaker's trade, in his father's shop in Miamisburg, serving four years. The year 1873 he spent in Cincinnati, in the employ of Crane, Breed & Co., hearse and burial case manufacturers, and during the summer of 1875 he was employed in the carriage works of J. Alewine & Sons, of Philadelphia, Pa. In the fall of the same year he was appointed foreman of the blacksmith department in the shops of Kauffman & Co., at Miamisburg, which firm was afterward changed to Kauffman & Sons. Of this concern he was a member, and served in the capacity last mentioned, until 1890, when he became identified with the Enterprise Carriage company, whose extensive plant in Miamisburg was planned by Mr. Kauffman and was built entirely under his supervision. He has been vice-president and superintendent of the company ever since it began operations in 1890, and he has ever since furnished all the designs for the vehicles manufactured by the company. Mr. Kauffman's skill as a designer amounts well nigh to genius, and guided by his long experience and thorough knowledge of all departments of the business, he is indispensable to its success. The reputation of the company for artistic vehicles, brought to it by Mr. Kauffman, is second to that of no other establishment of the kind in the United States, or perhaps in the world. Mr. Kauffman is the inventor of several patented devices and appliances to vehicles manufactured by the company, and which are used exclusively by them, among which may be mentioned a patent step, a fender attachment, spring brackets, and others of equal value.
Mr. Kauffman was married in October, 1877, to Fannie L., daughter of Dr. Joseph and Fannie (Swar) Weaver, of Miamisburg, and to this marriage there have been born three children: Mary, Fannie and William. Mr. Kauffman is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and in politics is a republican, as such serving two years as councilman of Miamisburg, with credit to himself and to the general satisfaction of the people of the place.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page