DeWitt C. Arnold
36 South Main Street
A typical modern commercial enterprise is the Boot and Shoe Store established in 1875 by William Arnold & Son, and which, since the death of Mr. William Arnold in April 1888, has been conducted under the sole proprietorship of the present incumbent.
The premises occupied an extensive building having four floors, which afford the best of facilities for displaying and handling of immense stock. Here everything in the way of boots, shoes, and rubbers for ladies, gentlemen, youths, boys, misses, and children may be found in all sizes and widths, and in almost bewildering numbers of styles. No house in Southern Ohio carries a larger stock, and in none will be found a better or more diffuse selection. From fifteen to seventeen attentive assistants are ready at all times to serve customers with the best goods attainable for the prices at which they are placed for the disposal of the public. Mr. Arnold buys all of his goods from first hands, and thus obtains advantages out of reach of smaller establishments.
In addition to the retail business important wholesale transactions are effected with dealers throughout the surrounding territory, and these will find manifest advantages in entering upon business relations with this concern. The proprietor, Mr. DeWitt C. Arnold, is a gentleman, who, by virtue of experience, is thoroughly alive to the wants of the public, and is quick to anticipate the drift of popular taste.
D. L. Bates & Bro.
Third and Canal Streets
An important factor in the machinery trade of Dayton is the house conducted by Messrs. D. L. Bates & Bro., which was originally established in 1865 as H. Bates & Son, and since the year 1884 has assumed its present designation. The premises occupied for the business comprise two floors in the Gebhart Building, each 35 x 50 feet in dimensions. They are equipped with general and special machinery and tools of improved design, and furnish employment to from fifteen to twenty skilled operatives. The products of the house consist of a general line of machine work, anything in this department of business being promptly executed to order at lowest prices in the best manner know to the trade.
They also manufacture the Star Ice Shaver, an illustration of which is here given. It is the latest and best device of the kind on the market, and embodies many valuable improvements. It makes a handsome ornament for a counter, will increase sales, will save quantities of ice, and once in use will never be abandoned. All parts are interchangeable, so that any part breaking and becoming worn out can be replaced with but a trifling cost. It is made of the best material with great care, and it does not get out of order, being very simple in construction.
The Star Cork Puller is another useful little appliance. It is undoubtedly the best, and for simplicity, beauty and durability had no compeer. It is handsomely nickel plated and very attractive in appearance.
In addition to the above, the firm make extra long handled spoons for serving long drinks. They are well made, of eighteen per cent nickel-silver, and are heavily silver plated. The firm also devotes considerable attention to the production of improved washing machines, which are in every way highly desirable and serviceable. The firm is also prepared with all necessary facilities for the execution of all kinds of nickel and silver plating, and they execute work of this character for other manufacturers at most reasonable rates. The trade of the house is largely local as regards general machine work, but their specialties are shipped to all parts of the United States.
S. C. Bennett & Company
119 East Fifth Street
A leading furniture establishment in Dayton is that of Messrs. S. C. Bennett & Co., which was founded in 1876. The warerooms have a floorage area of 27,000 square feet, and they are replete with a large stock of parlor and chamber furniture, sofas, chairs, tables, office furniture, and, in fact, everything that will add in any manner to the elegance, beauty and comfort of our homes. They also manufacture extensively parlor sets and upholstered goods on the premises, employing about fifteen men in the department, and their productions are in every respect equal to the best. The firm transact quite a large and growing wholesale business throughout Ohio, Indiana, and Pennsylvania, employing three commission agents on the road. The proprietor fully understand all the requirements of the locality, and in his wholesale transactions, by nature of the facilities he has at command, confers marked inducements on the trade. In commending this house to our interested readers, both at home and abroad, we but reflect its general reputation in saying that transactions with it are sure to redound to the advantage and benefit of all concerned.
H. Best & Son
33 North Main Street
No better appointed or more complete jewelry establishment can be desired than that of Messrs. H. Best & Son. This house is the oldest in its line in Dayton, and perhaps of any commercial enterprise here. It was founded in 1828 by the late Henry Best, the present firm dating from 1860, the co-partners being Edwin Best and Mrs. Henry Best. The store contains a beautiful and complete stock of jewelry on every description, silverware, fancy goods, bric-a-brac, objects-d’-art, watches, clocks, etc., special attention being devoted to the handling of diamonds, a large quantity being always on hand from which to make selections. Jewelry is also made to order according to special design, and fine watch repairing also receives particular attention. This class of work is executed by competent and skillful workmen. The diversity of the stock insures every facility in making selections, and in no case is the slightest misrepresentation made with regard to the wares. For over sixty years a prominent exponent of the trade facilities of the city, the firm have every reason to take pride in the past, and to look forward to the future with confidence and satisfaction.
A. Bretch Cornice Works
312 to 314 East Fifth Street
Prominent among the industrial interest of Dayton devoted to the manufacture of iron products for building purposes is the cornice and galvanized iron works of Mr. A. Bretch, which was established in 1877. The manufacturing plant is comprised in a four-story building at the above address, the fourth floor of the adjoining structure being also utilized. The works are equipped with all necessary tools and appliances, employment being furnished to twelve skilled mechanics. The products of the house consist of galvanized iron cornices, window caps, iron roofing, and all kinds of heavy sheet iron work for architectural and other purposes. A specialty of the house is a patent thimble and register for stovepipes. Mr. Bretch also deals largely in Stoves, Furnaces, and House Furnishing Goods, carrying a full stock of the best class of goods in the line. He enjoys to an eminent degree the confidence of the trade, who have realized the reliability and capabilities of his establishment, and we may safely assure our readers that all who need anything in this line will certainly consult their best interest by placing their orders with this house.
Bright & Fenner
19 East Second Street
Messrs. Bright and Fenner, although commencing business as recently as the year 1886, have already achieved a high reputation and an extensive trade. The premises they occupy for their business consist of a building of four floors built of brick, 100 x 20 feet in dimensions, where every facility is at hand that would conduce to economy of production.
The products of the house embrace a full line of hand made candies and confectionery, and dealers may depend that all goods are exactly as represented and that general standard of excellence is invariably maintained. They include and unusually large variety, which are very attractively put up, and are of a most saleable character. In all operations of the business there is a marked orderly and systematic method for the proper and correct conduct of each department, which together affords employment to about twenty-five operations.
In addition to the manufacture and sale of candy this house handles extensively cigars and tobaccos, the former being especially manufacture for its trade. Their brands include the best quality of cigars of different grades, and the stock in this as in other departments is very full and complete.
The trade of the house is chiefly in this state, although considerable business is done in Indiana and other neighboring states, and two commercial travelers represent the firm within the circuit of its trade operations.
The members of the firm are Mr. J.B. Bright and A.C. Fenner. Mr. Bright, in addition to his connection with this enterprise, is also the president of the Merchants Tobacco Company.
435 and 437 East Third Street
But few houses in the city are conducting a business of a more useful nature than that operated by Mr. George Broadup. It was instituted in 1887, and has already achieved a large patronage, requiring the services of one commercial traveler. The store is provided with all facilities for carrying full and complete assortment of goods, which includes manufactures’ supplies, machinery and appliances of every description, such as oils, belting, steam packing, hose, etc. A specialty is made of Hoyt’s Pure Oak Tanned Short Lap Leather Belting, which is equal if not superior to any before the public, also well known goods of the New York Belting and Packing Co., whose specialist of rubber belting, packing and hose are ranked as the highest in the market.
The proprietor, Mr. George Broadup, is a well known resident in Dayton, and is a man eminently familiar with all pertaining to the business and what class of goods are best suited to the public need. We are enabled to commend this young and enterprising house as one which is in the possession of all requirements to fully satisfy all demands that may be made upon in, not only as regards completeness of stock, but also in quality and prices.
The Bryce Furnace Company
Corner if Canal and Third Streets
The Bryce Furnace Co. was established in 1885, and it at once sprang from prominence, the character of the appliances causing a permanent demand for them. The plant is comprised in three floors, each 50 x 75 feet in dimensions, and the furnaces are here mounted, finished, and shipped to various parts of the country, the bulk of the trade being in Missouri, Kansas, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky.
The company manufactures the Eureka Furnace, which can justly claim to be the only self feeding furnace which is equally adapted for the use of wither soft or hard coal, and, indeed, is the only warm air furnace on the market which is self feeding, and which can burn bituminous coal to advantage. In its action it secures almost perfect combustion of gaseous hydro-carbons, and these furnaces also largely do away with smoke, and produce from cheap grade of soft coal more heat than other furnaces when using the most expensive kind. The new deflecting radiator, above the radiator proper of the furnace, is a valuable improvement. This causes the heat derived from the combustion of the gasses to be thoroughly utilized while the radiating surface of the furnace is increased. Another advantage is that being adapted to the use of both soft and hard coal is employed. They do not consume the fuel so rapidly as to make them expensive, and they are far more economical than stoves, give a better and more uniform heat, and are healthful and altogether desirable. The company also make the “New Champion” and “Challenge” Furnaces, which are adapted for the use of soft or hard coal, coke, natural gas or oil. These are made in a variety of sizes, both in brick-set and portable form.
The gentlemen comprising the management of the company are S.T. Bryce, President; M.B. Parmely, Vice President; S.T. Smith, Secretary and Treasurer, and J.W. Bryce, Assistant Secretary and Treasurer. The Success of this house is remarkable, and as the products have no superior, either in style workmanship or efficiency, there is every reason to look forward to an expansion of the success already achieved.
The Clingman Gas Machine Company
Office Southwest Corner Third and Jefferson Streets
The Clingman Gas Machine is an appliance which possesses marked features of superiority over other similar contrivances, and in which economy, safety, simplicity and durability are combined to so great a degree as to have created for it a reputation of a most extended character.
The original inception of the business goes back to the year 1877 when it was established by Mr. John Clingman, the designer and inventor of the appliance, the present company being organized during the latter half of 1888. The offices are located at the above address and the warerooms are situated in the Beaver and Butt building on St. Clair Street, all operations being supervised by Mr. Clingman to insure accuracy and perfection.
The Clingman Gas Machine is designed especially for lighting isolated buildings, or those situated beyond the reach of the coal gas mains of cities or natural gas supply. It also adapted where artificial or natural gas is used, as the machine enriches the coal or natural gas by passing it through the carburetor, freeing it from odor or smoke and causing it to give purer, brighter and more economical light. It is an automatic, simple apparatus, not liable to get out of order and requires little care or skill to manage, it occupies little space, is easily set up and alike adapted for lighting the largest mill factory, hotel or public building, or the smallest dwelling, is reliable at all seasons of the year, working equally well winter and summer. It is safe, with no fire being used to manufacture the gas, and buildings lighted by it may be insured at the sane rates as those lighted by coal gas.
Gas is made by this machine by simply forcing a current of air through a body of gasoline, and coming in contact with its vapor, the combination of the two elements producing a gas which is then carried through pipes conveyed to any part of the building requiring illumination, and it burns with a clear, white and agreeable light fully equal to the best coal gas..
The machine consist of two parts, an air pump and a carburetor. The pump can be located in the basement or any other convenient part of the building, and the carburetor in any desirable location outside, two or three feet below the surface of the ground incased in a brick chamber buried in the earth, thus avoiding the slightest risk of danger and keeping gasoline at an even temperature.
The action of the pump forces the air into the carburetor where, in its passage, it becomes carburized and enters the pipes in the building. The machine is self-regulating and is in operation only when the gas is turned on in the house, stopping the moment the gas is turned off. One of the great advantages the Clingman has over all other gas machines is the floating carburetor, the open burners, giving a light clear and free from odor and smoke. The floating carburetor is divided up into many compartments in which gas is generated, and it always maintains the same space above the body of the gasoline thereby producing a gas of inform quality and quantity.
About five gallons of gasoline make a thousand feet of gas at a cost less than eighty cents per thousand, or less than one-half the usual charge for coal gas. The Clingman Gas Machine is no new or untried appliance, but it has been in use in almost every State in the Union for the past twelve years and they have always given entire satisfaction.
The officers of the company are, Mr. Daniel L. Bates, President; John Clingman, Vice President; B.F. Hargrave, Secretary, and W.H. Roney, Treasurer. These are well known and prominent members of the community. The company invite correspondence and will cheerfully respond to all enquiries.
Conterill, Fenner & Company
North Star Tobacco Works, East Second Street
In the rapid development of the industries in Dayton during the past quarter of the century, the manufacturer of tobacco has been advanced to prominent position, and the van among other enterprises stands the old established and reliable house of Messrs. Cotterill. Fenner & Co. This business was founded in 1855, and after an honorable and successful career of nearly a third of a century today enjoys the highest reputation for the production of the best quality of goods in its line. The premises occupied cover an extensive area, 100 x 200 feet in dimensions, upon which is located the main factory, a building four stories high and built of brick, in addition to a two-story frame structure adjourning. Steam power from a forty horse power engine is used to operate the machinery and appliances, which are of the very best and most modern character. Employment is given to sixty-five operatives. Messrs. Cotterill, Fenner & Co. manufacture a variety of smoking and chewing tobacco, which is highly popular throughout they country and is stable with the trade. In the manufacture of this each process is critically supervised. The result is the production of a chewing tobacco that for purity, quality and flavor is seldom equaled and never excelled. The goods are sold in all sections of the United States, and four traveling salesman are constantly on the road. The members of the firm are Messrs. A. S. Marshall, G.H. Gorman, and H.Z. Marshall. The liberal policy upon which this business has been
and is conducted and the amplitude of its facilities rank in among the first of its contemporaries.
L. Dancyger & Son
422 East Fifth Street
Occupying a leading position in the dry goods trade of this city is the house of Messrs. L. Dancyger & Son. This business was inaugurated in 1865 by Louis Dancyger and from its start it has exerted a far reaching influence in the trade. The premises occupied comprise of a store and a basement at the above address as well as a portion of the second floor and the stock includes everything kept in a first class establishment of its kind – dry goods in unlimited extent, notions, every description of dress goods from prints to silks and velvets, woolens, ladies’ and gents’ furnishing goods, millinery and millinery goods, fancy goods, upholstery goods, and a profusion of all articles that demand recognition in the assortments. The goods are purchased in immense quantities and admirably displayed, in some instances according to methods invented by themselves and to which we shall allude to at further length later in this sketch. About twenty-five assistants are employed, and patrons are waited on expeditiously and satisfactorily. In the wholesale department an extensive trade is done throughout Ohio, to which territory the firm judiciously confine their operations, and they are thus enabled control their demands upon the resources of the house.
The members of the firm are identified with the proprietorship and management of The National Display machine, a highly useful and ornamental store fixture. It consist of an appliance made of superior nickel tubing and it will display and aid to sell merchandise of many varieties, notably ladies’ and gents’ furnishing goods, hosiery, shirts, towels, and in fact almost any description of small textile wares. It can be erected over a show case and entire counter, and is so constructed that the upper row of goods can be brought down be a simple motion of the hand, the lower row immediately taking its place. In the center is another line which remains stationary. It can be freely changed to any desire position, perpendicular, horizontal, or at any angle, changing the dressing of the store without any change of goods. It allows the sales man to show an almost endless variety of merchandise without disturbing the stock, and in every respect it is a most desirable and useful invention. The firm will be pleased to supply all particulars relative to this National Display Machine upon application. It is protected by patents dated May 24, 1887.
Another improved device manufactured by this firm is the Capital Safety Ticket, patented September 26, 1887. This is an improved ticket which is useful to ticketing price, number, etc., on hosiery, underwear, blankets, towels, etc. It consists of a paper ticket fastened to the material by means of two orifices through which passes a brass wire which is fastened simply by clasping the wire on the other side after it has penetrated the material and dropping the pin entirely out of sight and away from the surface. These is no danger of tearing in using this improved ticket nor is these any risk of injuring the hands when showing goods, and it is adjusted with the most utmost possible facility.
The members of the firm are Messrs. L. Dancyger and Simon Dancyger of whom are well known residents of this city, solicitous of everything that would be calculated to advance its interests and prosperity. Mr. Simon Dancyger is a member of the Board of trade, the Garfield Club, and the Harmonia Society, a prominent German organization.
J. C. Davis & Bro
108 and 110 North Main Street
An important factor of the building industry of Dayton is the house of J. C. Davis & Bro., which was established in 1884, and has since built up a wide-spread and enviable reputation. The business of the firm is divided into two departments, the erection of the buildings and the manufacture of artistic mantels, etc. In the former department they employ any men during the season and their facilities are complete in every detail, and promptness, care, and the entire performance of all contracts satisfactory may here be implicitly relied upon. The members of the firm devote their attention and critical supervision to all details of the work, insuring the complete satisfaction of patrons. The firm, in addition to the erection of new buildings, give close attention to jobbing, which is probably executed at reasonable rates of charges. The house has already erected a number of elegant residences in this city, and vicinity. In the latter department they are manufacturers and dealers in Mantels, Grates, Tiles, and Brass Goods, also Fancy Grate Trimmings, Marble and Slate Hearths, the best styles of improved Grate Settings, etc. At their salesroom a very large and beautiful stock of these goods may be inspected, the designs being particularly attractive and handsome. Everything incident to these lines may here be obtained in perfection, and special goods are made to order if required. In fact, it is not too much to say that even in the largest cities no better facilities are enjoyed.
The members of the firm are individually Messrs. J. C. Davis and Thomas W. Davis, both of whom give their attention to the working operations of the business. The house is in every respect a most reliable one, and is eminently qualified to challenge the utmost consideration form the public generally.
Dayton Ale Brewery
Corner Brown and Hickory Streets
To the efforts of the above establishment, since the year 1885, the citizens of Dayton are indebted for having at their disposal the finest quality of ale and porter. The plant consists of a two-story brick brewery, modern in its equipment and complete in all its details, a fifteen horse power engine supplying the motivating force. The capacity of the brewery is about 10,000 barrels of ale and porter annually. The firm are manufacturers of ale and porter of superior quality, and they are made with choice hops and pure barley malt without the use of any substitutes. Already the trade of the house has found an outlet in Dayton, and the goods are extensively shipped throughout Ohio and Indiana. The individual members of the firm are Messrs. T. Hollencamp and H. Kramer, both too well known to require personal comments at our hands. The firm also operate a bottling establishment separate from the brewery, where they bottle their own products. Concluding this sketch, we may justly say that such an establishment, ably conducted and producing the best of output, forms an important feature in the commercial interests of Dayton.
Dayton Cornice Works
323-327 East Third Street
One of the most useful enterprises of the city is the Dayton Cornice Works, operated by Messrs. G. W. and E. E. Buvinger, who founded the house in 1868. The premises occupied consist of a three-story building, where employment is furnished to about twenty-five skilled workmen in the season. The products consist of galvanized iron and ornamental work for buildings, such as cornices, finials, weather vanes, crestings, ventilators, window and chimney caps, gutters and conductors, hip and ridge molding, window and door trimmings, slate, tin, and iron roofing, house spouting, etc., also tanks, pails, ash barrels, and indeed everything made from galvanized or sheet iron. The growing demand for metal roofing, as well as for all kinds of iron ornamental work for buildings, something that is durable and fireproof, has led to the establishment of important industries in this branch of manufacture, and this house has specially favorable facilities for supplying this demand. It is provided with all necessary tools and appliances for manufacturing, and jobbing in all departments of the industry is promptly attended to at reasonable prices. Estimates will be cheerfully furnished architects and others, and work contracted for in any part of Ohio and neighboring states. This house is widely known, and offers inducements to the public and contractors difficult to procure elsewhere.
11 South Main Street
This house is the only one in the city devoted to the handling of the above goods, both at wholesale and retail. It was established in 1869, and is among the most important of its kind in southern Ohio. The premises comprise a store and basement, where may be inspected a full line of fire arms, fishing tackle, ammunition, cartridges and shells, shot, powder, tools, cutlery, electrical goods, etc., procured direct from manufacturers throughout the United States and abroad. Mr. Dodds handles some of the most reliable makes of sporting guns, including improved hammerless guns, pistols of the most celebrated manufacture, the best descriptions of fishing tackle, Redditch hooks, killing flies, improved sporting cartridges and shells, Blue Rock, Standard and Keystone targets and traps, and Dodds’ trap shooters and loaded shells.
The wholesale trade of the house is mainly within a radius of 100 miles of the city, and thus judiciously confining his territory Mr. Dodds is enabled to hold his trade well in hand, and dealers can obtain their goods much more promptly from him than when having to send to distant localities. Mr. Dodds is a native of Scotland, and for many years was a resident of London, England. He came to this country in 1856, and since embarking in his business here has obtained the consideration and esteem of our residents as an upright and honorable business man.