J. U. Eyer & Son
15 South Main Street
The business of Messrs. J. U. Meyer & Son was established in 1877, and it has ever since taken a prominent place in the trade. The premises comprise a store and warerooms, having four floors and a basement, which is stored with furniture of all kinds, from the cheapest grades up to the finest productions of art goods, and the wants of all classes may here be satisfied. The facilities of the houseare particularly favorable, all goods being purchased direct from manufactuerers, and upholstered goods are made on the premises. The stock ample, full andn complete, and the prices are reasonable.
The members of the firm are Messrs. J. U. Eyer and Albert M. Eyer, both well known residents of this city, experienced in all relating to the enterprise they operate. The house is among the leading establishments of its kind in southern Ohio, and with every facility, a large and well selected stock, and modern methods of conducting its business, it is enabled to offer inducements of the very best to its patrons.
H. N. Gagel
212 East Third Street
The above line of trade is well represented in this city by Mr. H. N. Gagel, whose house was founded in 1870 by J. G. Gagel. In 1886 he was succeeded by H. N. and A. J. Gagel, and in 1887 by the present proprietor. The premises used consist of a two-story building, where is to be found a complete stock of agricultural machinery and tools, well and cistern pumps, field and garden seeds, oils, stationary engines, and, in fact, everything required by the farmer and gardener, and of the best quality and at low prices – the same as are charged by bona fide manufacturers. We wish particularly to direct our readers’ attention to the champion Reaper and Mower, Sulky Rakes, Corn Cultivators, Straw Cutters, Plows, and Grain Drills dealt in by the house. Specialties are also made in buggies, carriages and farm wagons, procured direct from the best makers of these goods in the country. In fact, in every department. Mr. Gagel enjoys the best relations with first hands, enabling him to offer the farming public the best of inducements and the greatest advantages.
Mr. H. N. Gagel, the proprietor of this business, is a gentleman well acquainted with all the details of the enterprise he conducts, and is fully determined to satisfy the legitimate wants of his patrons. We commend his house, therefore, to our readers as one with which it will be in every way advantageous to deal.
The Gem City Stove Company
North Taylor Street
This house, whose products have attained a wide reputation, was incorporated May, 1885, and immediately commenced the manufacture of improved heating cooking apparatus. The plant of the company covers an area of about half an acre, upon which are erected a number of single and two-story buildings; the whole being equipped with all modern machinery and appliances, and furnishing employment to about sixty skilled mechanics. The company manufacture wood and coal cooking stoves, which are known to the trade and public by their title of “Cottage” cooks; also coal and wood heating stoves of all kinds, suitable for the general trade, among the most prominent which is the “Dayton Oak,” the specialty for the hose being gas stoves for heating and cooking purposes. Gas for heating and cooking recommends itself, because it is convenient, clean and economical. With the “Perfect and “Success” stoves as manufactured by this company, every variety of cooking can be as easily done as with a wood or coal stove. These stoves embody all of the latest improvements, along with others which are peculiarly their own. They are not, in their construction, sacrificed for style, but, keeping that feature in view, they are built with a single eye to economy and utility, and the proof of their excellence is best found by the fact that there are now thousands of them in use, and that their sale is annually increasing. These stoves are made in twenty-three different styles and sizes, so as to suit all tastes and uses, and far from being unsightly, they are certainly less so than the ordinary style of coal and wood range. They are carefully made from the very best quality of cast iron and rolled steel, with nickel door knobs and every improved device that could enhance their utility and desirability. The trade of the company is all over the United States, and goods have been exported abroad, notably to South America.
The officers of the company are Messrs. Henry R. Gummer, President; C. M. Gummer, Vive President, and A. J. Conover, Secretary, well known an prominent residents of this city, who may be congratulated at the success that has attended the efforts of the Gem City Stove Company under their management
Charles A. Gump & Company
31 and 25 East Second Street
One of the leading establishments of the kind in Ohio is that above indicated, which was founded in 1862. The stock embraces almost everything conceivable in the lines of rubber goods and mill and manufacturers’ supplies. First in importance, perhaps, are rubber goods of all kinds, including ladies’ and misses’ water proof garments, men’s’ and boys’ rubber coats, overshoes, boots, etc., for the use of both sexes and all classes. Rubber mats and matting, rubber window cleaners, door springs, air pillows, bath tubs, rubber belting, packing and hose, hard rubber for mechanical purposes, rubber moulded goods of many kinds, life preservers for travelers, hot water bottles, syringes, rubber carriage goods, rubber tips for a variety of uses, rubber brushes, horse covers and buggy aprons, blankets and overalls, besides and endless variety rubber goods and sundries too numerous to mention, embracing Every known article made of rubber or which rubber forms as a component part. In addition, the house handles a large line of manufactures’ and mill supplies, and everything of this nature can here be procured of the best quality and at reasonable prices. Another department of the business it the sale of lawn tennis and archery goods, also amateur photographic supplies, including the famous Kodak camera. The firm publish a comprehensive catalogue of their wares, illustrating many of their specialties. The premises occupied consist of a two story brick building, 40 x 100 feet in dimensions. From this basis a wholesale and resale trade is effected which extends to all parts of the United States and is annually increasing. The facilities of the house are enhanced by the close relations it enjoys with bon fide manufacturers, in view of which it is rightfully entitled to be classed among the prominent commercial enterprises of the Gem City.
Heikes Nurseries Company
North Main Street
Among the many well conducted enterprises which make up the attractions of this city and which our mission calls upon us to note none deserves better consideration an our hands than the one which now forms the subject of our sketch. The enterprise was founded as many years ago as 1822, by Mr. J. Heikes, at a time when Dayton was nothing but a country hamlet. He retired in 1860 and was succeeded by his son, Mr. W. F. Heikes. In 1873 the business was incorporated as a stock company – as the Heikes Nursery Co. Their assortment embraces all the valuable varieties which are grown of strong, health stock, on good soil, and is true to name, including apples, pears, plums, cherries, peaches, apricots, nectarines, grapes, raspberry, gooseberry, current bushes, strawberry vines, asparagus, rhubarb roots, ornamental trees and flowering shrubs. The company publish a complete and handsome catalogue, which, besides displaying to advantage the different varieties, affords valuable information to farmers, gardeners, and others.
Over four hundred acres of splendid land are cultivated, and there are four propagating houses, warehouses, packing sheds and cellars for storage, and constant employment is given to about 300 salesmen, and at the nursery to about 100 men. The company offers the greatest inducements to men who desire to embark in this business, and a lucrative employment may be obtained by those who devote their energies to the interests of the enterprise. The executive management is in the hands of the following gentlemen: S. D. Bear, President and Superintendent; Owen Smith, Vice President, and W. H. Gondert, Secretary and Treasurer. They are conducting a business which merits the attention of all who take any interest in the cultivation of the class of goods they produce and sell.
M. J. Houck
228 East Fifth Street
A prominent exponent of the lumber trade of this city is the house of Mr. M. J. Houck, which was founded about twenty years ago. The premises occupied are located contiguous to the railroad and canal, thus affording every facility for receiving and shipping the product. The yards are very extensive, covering an entire block, and there is every facility for the handling of large quantities of lumber of all kinds, which is received direct from the original sources of supply under such favorable conditions as enable it to be at the disposal of the trade and public at lowest market prices. About eight men are given employment, and a large business is transacted, which is mainly local with contractors, builders, and others, although shipments are occasionally made to points distant from the city. Mr. Houck is a well known citizen, largely identified with the best interests of his locality. He is also connected with The Dayton Whip Co. It will certainly be to the advantage of the building trade and others to communicate with this house before entering upon contracts elsewhere.
Joyce, Cridland & Company
Wyandot Street and Railroad
The manufacturing establishments of this city are varied in character including nearly all staple branches of industry, in addition to a number which are producing specialties of high merit and utility. Of the latter class our attention is directed to the house of Messrs. Joyce, Cridland & Co., which was originally established in 1875. The manufacturing plant is contained in a three story brick building and comprises all necessary machinery and appliances, power being derived from a fifty horse power steam engine. The firm are manufacturers of patented specialties which are known to the trade as J. O. Joyce’s Lever Jacks, Compound Lever and Screw Jacks. Vises are also made here in large quantities. The productions of the house are of the best quality and embody in their construction and properties the most improved principles, making them superior to all other similar devices before the public. The reputation achieved for these goods has led to their extended sale all over the country and they are also shipped to foreign countries.
The members of the firm are Messrs. J. O. Joyce, F. I. Joyce and T. H. Cridland, gentlemen too well known to require more than a brief passing mention at out hands. The exigencies of this work, requiring but a reference to each industry, we shall conclude this sketch by only remarking that the facilities of this establishment are fully adequate to the large demands made upon them, while the reputation of the firm is in all respects such as places it above our criticism.
George V. Keafauver
24 East Fifth Street
The trade in agricultural implements, hardware, etc., is well represented in Dayton by Mr. George V. Keafauver, who commenced operations in 1885. The premises occupied consist of store and basement, which are each 90 x 20 feet in dimensions. In addition there is an extensive warehouse in the rear which has a floorage area of 21,000 square feet. Mr. Keafauver carries a large and well selected assortment of modern agricultural appliances, including everything in this line that can possibly be required by the farmer and gardener. The entire stock is procured direct from manufacturers. Particular attention is due to Messrs. Stevens & Sons Threshers and Engines made at Auburn, New York. Other specialties are Oliver Chilled Plows, the Dayton Plow Co.’s steel plows, and Milburn wagons, and the house has the exclusive agency in this section for Whitman & Barnes’ Lawn Mowers, an appliance of the greatest merit and utility. A recent new departure of the business is the addition of a large and varied stock hardware, mechanics tools, shelf and builders’ hardware, cutlery, etc., which will be greatly appreciated by its customers. In seeds a full and complete assortment of both field and garden seeds is carried, including clover timothy and flax seeds, etc., and great care is taken to obtain the most reliable seeds in the market. They are true to variety, and equal to any to be obtained anywhere.
Mr. Keafauver for eleven years was engaged as a commercial traveler for one of the leading agricultural concerns of this city, and the experience thus gained has been of great use to him in his present enterprise. With principles founded on integrity and fair dealing this house is in every way worthy of the confidence of the public.
Miami Valley Boiler & Sheet Iron Works
1002, 1004, and 1006 East Third Street
The Miami Valley Boiler and Sheet Iron Works has for the past quarter of a century have been promotive in no small degree of the general repute of Dayton’s manufactures, and the plant comprises a number of buildings utilized in the different details of the work, the whole constituting everything that is required in the way of equipment for the rapid and economic operations of the industry. A steam engine of 35 horse power affords the requisite motive force, employment being furnished to about forty skilled workmen.
The products of the works consist of flue, tubular and portable boilers, tank breechings and sheet iron chimneys, penstock, conduct pipes both straight and turned, draft tubes, tanks for oils, and bleach tubs, rag engine tubs, varnish steam kettles, fireproof doors, core ovens, furnace cupolas and stacks, and indeed anything in the way of the boiler, tank, sheet and plate iron work. In all products turned out from this house the best material s are used, and none but the most perfect workmanship is permitted to pass the critical eye of the management.
The location of the works being contiguous to the railroad, there are excellent facilities for receiving the raw material, and the shipment of the finished product to destination.
The trade of the house while largely local, extends considerably throughout the state, and indeed shipments are often made to more distant localities, notably to points south.
Mr. James Dougherty, the proprietor of the works. Is a practical mechanic of experience and judgment and by a thorough knowledge of the business and skill in conducting it has contributed largely to the repute of the city’s workshops.
National Cash Register Company
Southwest Corner Brown and Stewart Streets
One of the most remarkable machines of the present day is the cash register. The idea of building such a machine was conceived in board an ocean steamer in June 1878, by James Ritty, a resident of this city. Before landing in England, Mr. Ritty matured his ideas and had them committed to paper, ready to put the test on his arrival home, which was to be about six weeks later. Mr. Ritty returned to Dayton in August, 1878, and soon afterwards he and others constructed five or six machines first patent was issued November 4, 1879, and the manufactures of the cash register was at once commenced. Mr. Ritty, being a man of means and not wishing to be troubled with the manufacturer of the machines himself, gave an interest to Jacob Eckert, who continued the manufacturer until 1880, when Gustavus Sander bought out Mr. Ritty’s interest.
In the fall of 1884, the present company took up the stock and named the corporation the National Cash Register Company. John H. Patterson was chosen president of the company, which started with a paid up capital of fifteen thousand dollars. The register has, since its invention, been improved by tedious and laborious, yet natural, transitions, until it has been developed into a perfect piece of mechanism, covered by thirty-one patents instead of the single patent of 1879.
In 1886, the capital stock was increased to one hundred thousand dollars, and the officers that were elected at its organization still remain in office. The present large and convenient brick building was completed in sixty-four days in 1888, and the business transferred thereto from the Callahan Power Block in June of the same year. The present force of two hundred and twenty skilled mechanics manufactures a yearly output of over seven thousand register. From June, 1888, the factory has not succeeded in filling its orders.
The National Cash Register is an automatic machine which records every cash and credit transaction that occurs in a retail business house. One stroke of the key registers the purchase, indicates the fact on a tablet, announces that a transaction has occurred by the ringing of a small bell, and displays the amount of the sale on white tablets in a glass aperture at the top. Within the register the amount is added on wheels and perfect record is kept of all transactions occurring during the day. In appearance the register is a neat fixture made of nickel, or imported wood to harmonize with the fittings of any store. The dimensions are 14 x 18 inches at the base and the height is sixteen inches. In conclusion, and in view of what we have already recorded, we may state that the firm of the National Cash Register are altogether entitled to the support which has been extended to the support which has been extended to them.
Thomas Nixon & Company
Corner First Street and Canal
This establishment was removed to this city in 1873 from Richmond, Indiana, at which place it first commenced operations in 1866. Their original plant was destroyed by fire in 1880, and later in the same year they built their present factory. It comprises a building four floors in height and built of brick, 50 x 100 feet in dimensions, furnished with all modern machinery, which operated by an 85 horse power steam engine.
The firm are manufactures of paper bags and flour sacks in immense quantities, and the house is in a position to turn out these commodities under favorable circumstances. They manufacturer their own paper, and this fact gives them great advantage in the market. The capacity of the factory allows of the manufacture of 800,000 sacks and bags daily. The firm are also wholesale dealers in paper of various kinds, and they execute printing in connection with their enterprise. Their trade extends all over the United States, and is annually increasing its scope of operations. The members of the firm are Messrs. Thomas Nixon and F.M. Nixon, gentlemen entirely conversant with all relating to the enterprise they conduct, and solicitous to advance their own interests by conserving those of their patrons.
Ohio Rake Company
Pine and Marshall Streets
This enterprise was incorporated as a stock company in 1884, succeeding to the enterprise originally founded a number of years previously by Messrs. Marshall, Graves & Co. The works are comprised in a three story brick factory 100 x 150 feet in dimensions, a brick building used as a foundry, a two story office building, and large yards for storage purposes. A complete equipment of fine machinery and appliances is operated by a 150 horse power engine , and a force of ninety men is employed in the various departments. The principal products of the works are Hay Rakes and Tedders, Binder Trucks, Spring Tooth and Disc Harrows, and Hand Corn Shelllers. The company makes a larger variety of hay rakes than any other single concern in the country, and all their products are made with special references to the section of the country in which they are to be used. The products are made under patents exclusively their own, and there can be no reason to doubt but that their goods stand at the head of the trade both as regards superiority of construction and diversity of styles. We append an illustration of their Golden Age Disc Harrow, a very meritorious implement which has met with the widest sale and the greatest satisfaction to purchasers. The trade of the house extends all over the United States, Great Britain, Germany and Australia and the company has distributing agencies in twenty-six states and territories, as well as many foreign countries.
The officers of the company are Allen E. Thomas, President; John T. Bell, Vice President; W.S. Graves, Secretary, and Sebastian Ritty, Superintendent. Their present works and the extensive business they are conducting testify to the energy and skill which have characterized their enterprise from its inception.
461 and 462 Logan Street
The above house, founded in 1869, is one of the largest packers of Miami Valley Leaf Tobacco in the country, as will readily be inferred when it is said that the sales of the house for the past year reached the amount of almost 2,000,000 pounds. For the storage of the leaf, Mr. Oneill utilizes a three-story brick warehouse, 38 x 82 feet in area, with an “L” 40 x 60 feet in this city, and also another warehouse at Covington, Ohio, the capacity of the latter being about 1,500 cases. Here may be purchased through resident agents, and during the packing season thirty hands are employed, which number is increased to one hundred when stemming for foreign markets. Besides sales all over this country, considerable leaf tobacco is shipped to Holland, also to Gibralter, in Spain. The latter is city, and an enterprising, energetic and progressive citizen. Having ample capital, wide connections and large experience, it is no more than simple justice to state that few concerns of the kind in the country offer greater inducements to buyers of leaf tobacco than does this house.
The Pasteur-Chamberland Filter Company
61 South Wyandot Street
It is now removed beyond peradventure of doubt, that very many of the diseases of man may be traced to impure water used for drinking purposes, and it is curious to observe the indifference of many, who without a thought, daily and hourly absorb poison in their system when, with but little expense and scarcely any trouble, they could free the water they drink from all deleterious, organic or poisonous matter. The Pasteur-Chamberland Filter Co., of this city, are making a filter which entirely performs all that is claimed for it, and that is the absolute purifying of water from every particle of deleterious matter, no matter how minute if held in suspension. The company was incorporated in December 1887, and they are the sole licenses for the manufacture of the Pasteur filters in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. About ten years ago M. Louis Pasteur, the celebrated French scientist, in conjunction with Mr. Charles E. Chamberland, began to devote his attention to the discovery of a medium of filtration which would render water and other fluids absolutely free from germs of all kind and other organic matter, as pure water was imperative to him in his researches for the discovery of the germs which produced certain diseases, notably hydrophobia and phylloxera. The result, after ten years of experiment, was the celebrated Pasteur Filter. This was in 1884 and M. Pasteur said of it, “knowing its full scientific and hygienic value I desire it to bear my name,” and the reputation of this eminent man is such that anything thus endowed by him cannot but be of superlative merit.
By the use of these filters we are exempted from drinking muddy, polluted and warm water, and all risk of contracting typhoid fever, diphtheria, dysentery and other zymotic diseases is entirely obviated. From the faucet of the Pasteur Perfection Filter and Cooler flows forth a stream of pure, sparkling and cool water, free from all germs of disease, and all organic matter held in suspension. The principal of these filter is entirely different from all others and neither sand, gravel, charcoal or alum are used as filtering mediums. These materials do not take out any germs or finer organisms which really hold the poison, on the contrary they often concentrate them in one place. The Pasteur Filter is constructed upon an entirely distant plan. It consist of one or more hollow porcelain tubes which in appearance resemble a candle having no opening, except for an orifice at one end through which the purified water is discharged. No impurities whatever penetrate this material but are arrested on the outside where they can be readily removed. These tubes all come from France, where alone the material is found of which they are made. They can be easily cleaned as an ordinary lamp chimney. The company publish a neat little illustrated pamphlet which fully explains the merits of these appliances, and they will cheerfully forward the same upon application as well as all other particulars.
The filters are made in a number of sizes and designs, and they are very attractive and handsome in appearance. They have received the endorsement of scientist, physicians and others all over this country and Europe, and made at the works in Dayton and the factory consists of a three story brick building, 70 x 110 feet in dimensions, equipped throughout with new machinery and appliances.
The President of the company is Mr. A.A. Blount, Mr. T.S. Babbit is Vice President, and Mr. J. S. Miles, Secretary and General Manager. Conducting an enterprise of a most useful and progressive character, the Pasteur-Chamberlain Filter Co. is entitled to the utmost consideration, and apart from a business standpoint, are doing much good in producing an appliance which combats to a large extent the ravages of fell disease, and provides a safeguard other wise difficult if not impossible to obtain elsewhere.
S. J. Patterson
235 South Ludlow Street
The above house, a leading representative of the coal trade of the West since the year 1870, the date of its inception, has had an important bearing upon the industries of this city and vicinity. The business is both wholesale and retail, and owing to the fact of Mr. Patterson being largely interested in the mining of coal in Jackson County, and the relations sustained by him in the production of Anthracite Coal, affords him every facility for placing the product of the market under the most favorable conditions, and only the best grades of the different varieties of Anthracite and Bituminous Coal are handled. The wholesale trade of this house is very large-from 125,000 to 135,000 ton being disposed of annually-and extends throughout Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky and Tennessee, shipments being made direct from the mines to destination without transfer or second or handling. The retail trade is handled from the yards in connection with office at above address, and the equipment is such as affords them every facility for properly supplying their city trade, to which they give particular attention. The Jackson Coal furnished by them is from their three mines in Jackson County, equally suitable for Manufacturing or Domestic use, and the same that has given such general satisfaction to the Dayton trade. The General Office and Yards are located as above, 235 South Ludlow Street, where six assistants in clerical work are employed, in addition to a large force of laborers and teamsters.
Mr. S.J. Patterson, the proprietor of this extensive business, has for many years been identified with the coal supply of this locality, and has done much, therefore, to foster the material welfare of the city. His enterprise is a growing one.
C. W. Raymond & Company
7 and 11 Wayne Avenue
This enterprise was founded many years ago by G. M. Raymond, one of the pioneers of the Miami Valley, and father of Mr. C. W. Raymond, who has conducted it since 1880. This plant covers an area 60 x 100 feet, and is fully equipped, employment being furnished to about twenty mechanics. The products of the house are shipped to all parts of the United States, and consists chiefly of Brickmaking Appliances. Raymond’s Perfection Brick Press is a neat and powerful machine for re-pressing red or fire brick or making ornamental and molded designs, terra cotta, etc. it is entirely new in principle, and is at the front of all the brick-making machinery now before the trade. It is simple, easy of operation, is handsome in appearance, is faultless in construction, and it accomplishes all that can be done by other presses in less time and with less labor. The Wrought Iron Tempering Wheel for brickmakers is a device which has met with a complete success. It is in use in every state of Union, and is the most substantial, complete and desirable mud temperer in the country. By its use perfect is always assured. Another specialty is Raymond’s Automatic Dump Car. The car is so constructed that when loaded the preponderance of weight is on the dumping side of a pivotal point, and when empty on the opposite side. At any place where it is desired to dump the load a trip bar is placed on the track, which, as the loaded car is drawn past, raises the lever which secures the bed to the trucks, the greater weight being upon the dumping side of the bed, upon being released immediately causes it to dump, unlocking its end-gate in its downward course. After dumping, the weight being greater on the reverse side of the bed, it rights itself on the trucks, locks itself securely thereto and fastens its own end-gate. The simplicity of the car consists in the fact that its operation is dependent entirely on the force of gravity and not upon any complicated appliances. By reason of unequally divided the load, the car accomplishes its own dumping as soon as it is automatically unlocked. The Standard Dump Cart, while comparatively light is very strong, is made from the best seasoned white oak, is well painted, and is altogether desirable. At this establishment are also made trucks, barrows, molds and brickmakers’ supplies generally. Altogether, the appliances here produced embody valuable improvements of great value, and the machines are meeting with the greatest success.
In addition to the manufacture of the above specialties, the house executes general machine and foundry work, forging, blacksmith and wagon work, and promptness and reasonable charges may always here be obtained. The house is in the enjoyment of the most complete facilities for the performance of work of the character above mentioned, and is at all times ready to furnish estimates and particulars, and will be pleased to open correspondence with any of our readers who may be interested.
Return to "Business and Advertisements of Dayton" Home Page