F. A. Requarth & Company
32 and 34 South St. Clair Street
The above enterprise occupies a leading position in the industrial advancement of Dayton. Originally founded in 1860 by Meyer and Requarth, the house has since continued with several changes of firm, the present one succeeding to the business in 1888. The premises occupied are comprised in a five story brick building, which is completely equipped with all necessary machinery, much of it of a very ingenious and unusual character, employment being furnished to about twenty skilled mechanics. The product of the house consist mainly of stair balusters, newel posts and other hard wood interior work for buildings, but the character of the chief production differ essentially from those of ordinary manufacturers. These are known as Prismatic and Round Stair Balusters and Newel Posts of every description, both plain and fancy, and of hexagon and octagon, round and square forms. These prismatic balusters are only made by this concern, b a novel improved method, and their most skillful mechanical competitors have strained every effort without meeting with success to imitate many of this firm’s productions. The house is the sole producers of true polyonal and prismatic shapes which are not turned imitations, and they are of the highest merit and will do the greatest credit to any architectural design. Notwithstanding the high character of these good they are offered to the trade at prices comparatively little higher than are usually paid for ordinary round balusters and newels. The firm also make spiral and rope mouldings, either straight, curved, tapered, or oval, and they produce besides pineapple cuts of any degree of twist, from one turn in one and one-half inches of length to one in ten and one-half inches. The firm publish and illustrated catalogue giving complete and extended descriptions of their products. Their trade extends throughout the United States and largely in foreign countries. The members of the firm are F. A. Requarth, H. W. Requarth, and H. W. Hueffelmann. In view of the above mentioned facilities and the character of their products this house may be regarded as one of the growing institutions of Dayton.
George J. Roberts & Company
Corner Second and Mill Streets
Dayton is the seat of important operations in the manufacture of steam pumps and hydraulic machinery. In this branch of industry one of the most progressive and representative houses is that of Messrs. George J. Roberts & Co., whose office and works are located at the above indicated address. This business was established about the year 1871, and it has since built up a large trade which extends throughout the United States and some foreign countries, notably Mexico and South America.
The plant comprises a three-story brick building, 75 x 68 feet in area, which is equipped with a modern tools, appliances and machinery known to the trade. Much of this machinery has been specially made fore the purpose to which it is applied and is of the best character, and is operated by a twenty-five horse power engine. The firm are manufactures of Steam Pumping and Hydraulic Machinery, Steam pumps, both single and duplex, Water Motors, etc. which are unrivaled for design, quality, durability and general efficiency, and are the embodiment of mechanical workmanship of the highest order of perfection. It will be apparent that the greatest care and scientific researchers of years have been exercised to bring these steam pumps and other apparatus to the present state of perfection, and they are adapted to all kinds of service and have no superiors in the market. Pumps embody all the really valuable features of their pumps in addition to a number which are peculiar alone to these appliances. All of the parts are made upon the interchangeable system, so that any portion getting broken or worn out can immediately be replaced with but the minimum of expense.
The products of the house, briefly enumerated, are as follows: Roberts Patent Direct Action Positive Motion Steam Pump, Roberts Patent Steam Pumps, for feeding boilers and forcing water against heavy pressure, Roberts Patent Small Boiler Feed Pumps, for small stationary boilers, portable and traction engines and steam yachts, Roberts Patent Low Pressure Pumps for public and private buildings, Roberts Improved Duplex Steam Pumps, adapted for hot or cold water, hydraulic elevators, water works, mines, railroads, fire services, etc., and Roberts Patent Boiler Feeding and Heavy Pressure Pumps for Breweries, tanneries, etc. They also make Patent Injectors and Steam Jets, and all parts are interchangeable. The utmost care is taken in all the details of manufacture, and every one of the motors is subjected to the most critical tests before being allowed to leave the works.
Large Numbers of all the different machines manufactured by the house have been sold all over the country, and numerous testimonials form eminent firms and corporations bear evidence to their high character and excellence, and they may be said to be second to none anywhere.
J. J. Rossell
433 East Fifth Street
This well known house, established in the year 1881, has advanced and developed with the prosperity of the building industry in this city. The premises occupied comprise two floors, and basement, each of which are 200 x 18 feet in dimensions, the front portion being utilized for the store, and the rear portion as a warehouse. Here is contained a full and complete line of paints, oils, varnishes, colors, window glass, carriage paints, putty glue, turpentine, and painters’ and glaziers’ supplies generally. While a gall supply is carried of everything incident to the above lines, Mr. Rossell is agent for a number of specialties of more than ordinary merit and celebrity. These are the Anchor Lead Co.’s White Lead, Josiah Gebhart & Co.’s While Lead, the well know Masury Railroad Paints, John Lucas’ Gloss Mixed Paints, the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Co.’s plate glass, which is acknowledged to be equal if not superior to any plate glass made in France or elsewhere. The facilities of the house include the most intimate relations with first hands, and the stock carried is among the most extensive in southern Ohio.
Mr. Rossell is a native of Miami County, and although not an old man as years count in the present day, was a soldier in the Mexican war. His good standing in the community is recognized by the fact that for several years he was a member of the City Council and in influential member of the Board of School Directories.
Royal Remedy and Extract Company
21 East Third Street
The above house was founded in 1876, by Mr. Irvin C. Souders, and in 1888 was incorporated under its present title. The premises occupied consist of a three story and basement building 20 x 100 feet in dimensions, which is equipped with all necessary appliances, and employment is furnished to about 60 hands. The products of the company consist of the celebrated “Souder” Flavoring Extracts and Perfumes and a number of special remedies with which the house has been identified from the start. The flavoring extracts and perfumes are of the best quality, and are widely sought after in the trade. They make extracts of lemon, vanilla, tropic fruit flavor, orange, Jamaica ginger, rose, almond, strawberry, raspberry, banana, essences of cinnamon and wintergreen. In odors they make all the popular ones, including Frangipanni, Patchouly, Opoponax, White Rose, Jockey Club, Heliotrope, Ylang Ylang, Rose Geranium and others. They also make a particularly high grade of Cologne. A recent specialty of the house is the manufacture of refined chewing gum, which, under the brand title of “Sweet Wheat”, is being rapidly adopted by the trade as a standard of excellence and purity. The facilities of this house are of the best, and conduce to economy of production first class goods and promptness in the execution of all orders. The trade of the house extends through the States of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and the Western and Southern States generally, and the business is represented on the road by four commercial travelers.
The officers of the company are Messrs Irvin C. Souders, President, and Robert H. Ferguson, Secretary and Treasurer. The liberal policy of the management and the known purity and high quality of the products, have resulted in a success for the house as well merited as it is prominent.
Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Company
79 Wyandot Street
The extensive enterprise of the Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Co., was established in 1881 by Messrs. Sachs, Pruden & Co., the present company having been incorporated in 1888. Originally the energies of the house were confined to the manufacture of Ginger Ale, and form a most modest beginning they have succeeded in building up a trade that takes first rank in this country. This result has been achieved by the production of the very highest grade of goods and a strict adherence to the belief that a pure and fine article would find its own market. That such has been the case is best evidenced in the rapid and remarkable expansion of the business. On the 1st of January, 1889, the company made a departure in their business by the introduction of their superior pale ale, known as the Diamond Brand Pale Ale, which is equal in all respects to the finest qualities of imported ale and superior to any produced in this country.
The plant of the company is of a most extensive character. The premises occupied in the manufacturer of the ginger ale, etc., consist of a building of three floors, 40 x 120 feet in dimensions. It is operated by water power. The equipment includes steam bottle washing machines, filters, etc., and every attention is directed to assure perfect cleanliness and the very highest grade of product. The capacity is about 18,000 quart bottles of ginger ale daily. The brewery recently erected by the company cost $150,000 and it is first class in all particulars, equipped with the very latest scientific improvements. It is a four-story brick building, 70 x 138 feet in dimensions, and is thoroughly fireproof, the joists and girders throughout being constructed of steel and the columns of iron. Two fifty horse power boilers are used to operate the appliances, and it is expected that natural gas will be utilized as fuel for making steam as soon as the gas company is ready to supply it. The cellars have a capacity for the storage of 15,000 barrels of ale, which could easily be extended to 30,000 is such should be required. Details as to the extent of this enterprise, however, are of trifling importance compared with the company’s superior methods of manufacture, the result of which is the very finest quality of pale ale that can be made, equal in all respects- color, body, flavor, purity and healthfulness- to the far-famed Bass and Alsop ales, and connoisseurs have declared their inability to distinguish one form the other. One thing that the public may be assured of, and that is that only pure malt, hops, and water enter into the manufacture of the already celebrated Diamond Brand Pale Ale here produced.
The Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Co. are also manufacturers of what is known as A-T-8 Agaric, a most agreeable and excellent medicine for the cure of indigestion, dyspepsia and all other diseases of a disordered liver and stomach. They also make a substitute for Hunyadi Water which is called Saline Lemonade. This is a valuable aperient, fully equal as regards results to the best of natural aperient waters. Another of the products is ginger extract, which along with other extracts used by bottlers they sell largely to the trade. While on this subject we may mention that the company are direct importers of all ginger used in the manufacture of their ginger ale.
The officers of the company are Edward Sachs, President; David Pruden, Vice-President and Manager, and Henry B. Pruden, Secretary and Treasurer, and with them are associated Herbert H. Weakly and Frank T. Huffman on the Board of Directors. The Sachs-Prudens’ Ale Company, being in the hands of experienced and able managers, and being in possession of unsurpassed facilities for doing business, with a past record of the very highest for reliability, the finest products and business integrity, there never was better promise of rapid and extended growth in the future.
Schaefer & Mahrt
Hickory and Bradham Streets
The house whose name forms the caption of this sketch is one of the best known cigar manufacturing concerns in the country and the largest in the city. The aim of the proprietors of this house has been to make honest goods worthy of the good opinion of smokers, and to scrupulously maintain their brands. The business was established in 1879 by Mr. M. J. Schaefer, the present form dating from a few months later. The premises occupied for manufacturing purposed are comprised in a frame building 66 x 120 feet in dimensions, besides additional accommodations for storage. The establishment is in every way well adapted for the business, all of the latest improved devices and appliances being here in operation, including an elevator connecting all the floors, power being obtained from a gas engine of four horse power. The various departments of the enterprise afford employment for about two hundred skilled cigar makers and others. The products of the house consist of cigars of all kinds, any quality or style being made to suit the wants of customers, and special brands are got up as may be required. The firm also have a branch factory at Miamisburg, where the cheaper grades of goods are made, employment being given there to about sixty hands. As an illustration of the growth of the business of this firm we note the fact that for the past four years the increase in the output has been at the rate of 2,000,000 per year, and in 1888 they made and sold 9,000,000 cigars, all of which were taken by the jobbing trade, to whom only the firm make sales. The members of the firm are Messrs. M. J. Schaefer and H. C. Mahrt. The house has been eminently successful is acquiring the confidence of the trade of which it may be considered in every way most worthy.
A. Smith & Company
1134 West Third Street
A leading house in Dayton devoted to carriage building is that of Mr. A. Smith, which he founded in 1883. His factory is embraced in a two-story frame building, 40 x 100 feet, which is complete in all respects, and furnishes employment to about twenty mechanics. The products of the house are carriages of all patterns, in fine and medium grades, and while strength, beauty, and fine finish are not lost sight of, the prices are most reasonable. Particular attention is given to jobbing and repairing, which is done in the best manner, and a large stock of finished carriages is constantly kept on hand, so that all orders are executed without delay. Mr. Smith, the proprietor, is a practical man, giving his personal attention and scrutiny to all operations of his works. All representations made by him with regard to his goods may certainly be relied upon in every particular, and he quoted as an honorable and energetic business man of this city, and his establishment is a convenience of no inconsiderable value to the residents of this community.
The Smith & Vaile Company
Many of the industries of Dayton have obtained a world wide importance, among them none more notably then the Smith & Vaile Co., manufactures of pumps and hydraulic machinery. The improvements introduced in these appliances, as exemplified in the products of this company, have attained for them a perfection as great as it is possible to attain with our present knowledge and unquestionably they are among the most perfect pieces of mechanism which human ingenuity has constructed.
This enterprise was founded in 1874 by Smith, Vaile and Co., which style of firm continued until 1886 when the present company was incorporated with a capital of $250,000. The possessions of the company comprise about eight acres of ground at the indicated address, three of which are utilized for the plant. This is covered with brick buildings, each of which is utilized for specific operations of the work in hand, the equipment of the whole being as complete as it is possible for ample capital to purchase or practical experience to select. An engine of 100 horse power is used to operate the appliances, and an average of 240 skilled workmen and others are given employment, this number being increased at times to 400.
The company manufactures steam pumps and hydraulic machinery of every kind and for every description of work. In design, construction and practical operation each and every variety of appliance will be found to be the best adapted to the work for which it is designed and made. In the construction of these pumps every care is taken to model them upon correct scientific principles by engineers who are thoroughly competent and familiar with hydraulics. The advantages embodied in the construction of these appliances are therefore not merely theoretical, but they are eminently practical, as evidenced by the examination and approval of competent men who have seen the pumps in operation. The appliances made at these works possess every desirable feature, are perfect in their construction, embody more improvements of value than any other, and are the best steam pump for every conceivable purpose that are placed on the market. The company manufacture also a superior line of oil mill machinery, which are likewise of the best construction and efficiency. The production of the company find a market all over the United States, wherever mechanical industries are carried on, and their good are shipped to almost all civilized countries. They have branch establishments in London, Moscow, City of Mexico, and New York, besides agencies in other prominent localities. The officers of the company Messrs. W. W. Smith, President and Treasurer; J. H. Vaile, Vice President, and O.P. McCabe, Secretary, gentlemen whose knowledge of the business, and facilities and ability for conducting it warrant the belief that this enterprise is foremost among the many establishments whose products have made Dayton famous as a manufacturing city.
C. F. Snyder Extention
Corner Monument Avenue and D. & M. R. R.
The enterprise conducted by Mr. C. F. Snyder in the manufacture of extension table slides was established about 1874, and it is now well known to the trade for the production of superior products in it line. The premises occupied for the business consist of three story brick building, 50 x 125 feet in dimensions. A steam engine of fifty horse power is used to operate the machinery and appliances, all of which is of the best character suited to the work in hand, and much of it has been specially designed and built for the requirements of this factory. A force of about twenty-five skilled mechanics are given employment in the various departments of works.
Mr. Snyder is a manufacturer of what is know as the “Reliable Extension Table Slide.” This device is well known to table manufacturers and it embodies all the latest improvements in appliances of its kind, at the same time possessing a number of excellencies not common to others. Devoting the entire energies of the establishment to the production of this one article, it is easily understood that the concern is able to produce then to advantage and to place them on the market at the very lowest possible price. The wood from which they are made is grown locally and can be brought here with but a minimum expense, and utilizing special machinery the house is eminently in a position to compete in all points with contemporaries. The trade of the house is all over the United States, wherever the manufacture of extension tables is carried on. As illustrative of the best elements of Dayton’s manufacturing operations the above house is entitled to prominent recognition at our hands, and it is with pleasure that we accord it the courtesy of a place in these pages.
Thomas Staniland & Sons
225 & 227 South Main Street
The sculptured marble and graceful granite monuments which mark the resting place of the dead, mute but touching evidences of a love that cherishes their memory, typify all of the finest sentiments which find expression in human action. The desire to embellish our cemeteries with works of art has been one of the most marked evidences of a higher civilization, and the beautiful forms into which these lasting monuments which bear record to our love for lost friends are fashioned, call for the hand of an artist in their execution, and the highest degree of artistic skill in designing.
The house of Messrs. Staniland and Sons ranks prominent as a leader in this business in Dayton, and their extensive establishment is well worthy of special mention. The house was founded in 1865 by Thomas Staniland, and the present firm was organized in 1888. The premises occupied cover an area which is fifty feet in front, graduating to a hundred feet in the rear, with a depth of two hundred feet. There are yards for storage, and a number of buildings utilized for various purposes connected with the industry. Steam power is used, and about 20 skilled artisans are employed. The firm deal in all kinds of Scotch and American Granites, Italian and American Marble, and they are able to supply anything in this line. They also carry a large stock of Marble and Granite Monuments, Tablets, Headstones, Furniture and Plumbers’ Slabs, Table Tops, etc., embodying the best of work and most beautiful and unique designs. They make a specialty of designing monuments to order, and many handsome specimens of their production may be seen in any of the cemeteries of this and neighboring states. Of prominent monuments erected by this firm we cite as representative examples Col. Mead’s Preserved Smith’s, W. H. Simms’, Daniel Kieffer’s, P. P. Lowe’s, Gustav Sander’s and J. L. Weston’s in Woodland Cemetery, Dayton, Henry Groby’s memorial at Miamisburg, Charles Dorman’s at Germantown, Florence Marmet’s and Col. R. M. Moore’s monuments at Cincinnati, very handsome and imposing pieces of work, the monument erected to the memory of N. Oglesby, Banker, at Middletown, also those of Hon. Thomas Pringle, Judge White, Dr. Dunlap, and R. H. Rodgers at Springfield, B. F. Harris, Banker, at Champagne, Illinois, and the Soldiers’ Monument at Maysville, Kentucky, and others too numerous to mention. These beautiful and striking pieces of statuary were all executed in Dayton at their own shops, where they employ men who certainly may be designated as artists in every sense of the term.
The individual members of the firm are Messrs. Thomas Staniland, the founder of the business, Charles J. Staniland and Frank T. Staniland. All of the above are practical men and skilled workers, thoroughly acquainted with all the details of the business and well known for their good taste in the finer branches of their profession. The trade of the house is by no means confined to this city, work being shipped to all parts of the states of Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana. Those contemplating the erection of family monuments should not overlook the fact that here they can find the most artistic work of the kind, and with so highly esteemed and honorable a record, we but reflect the public sentiment when we say that relations once entered into are sure to be as pleasant and satisfactory as skill and experience can make them.
Stout, Mills & Temple
South Ludlow Street
The history of this eminent house dates back to the year 1857, about which time it was founded by Mr. Thomas Clegg upon a very modest scale, but a small factory constituting the nucleus from which has grown the present immense business. Mr. Clegg was succeeded by the firm of Westerrman and Stout and in 1853 the present firm was organized. The plant occupies an area of about five acres, upon which are erected a number of buildings which are constructed of brick. The general dimensions are, the machine shop, contained in a building 50 x 300 feet in dimensions, the foundry 160 x 50 feet with additions, the wood shop, cleaning house, draught department, a two story office building and commodious warehouses. The machinery in operation constitutes the most complete equipment of this character that capital can procure and human ingenuity devise, much of which had been specially constructed to fill the requirements of this establishment. Their methods of manufacture are the results of years of close application and a thorough and complete knowledge of the wants of the trade for which they cater. The firm are manufacturers and patentees of the New American Turbine Water Wheels, which have double the power of ordinary turbine wheels of the same diameter and are very much more durable. These wheels are made in one casting, and they will stand the pressure of any head as there is not a bolt or rivet in any pat of them, but they are complete of themselves. These wheels are manufactured entirely over dry sand cores which produce smooth, even surfaces, homogeneous and strong castings. In starting they will move the load so gradually that a belt can be put on in any part of the mill with perfect safety, and in case of accident can be shut down instantaneously. Probably no piece of mechanism has ever met with such extended commendation as have these appliances.
The firm also manufacture high class flour mill machinery such as Livingston Belted Roller Mill, which is claimed to be the best mill in the market. The Gilbert Combined, the Universal Reduction, and Four-roller Roller Mills, are also other pieces of machinery of the highest merit. The firm also supply burr mill stones of the very best quality, bolting cloth, hangers, pulleys, couplings, flour packers, and mill supplies generally. The fame which their mill machinery has achieved throughout the country furnishes a far stronger comment, as regards its merit, than any remarks we might presume to offer.
Another specialty is the Cast Iron Tub Rag Engines. These engines combine strength, good workmanship, durability, neatness of design and great utility. They are in successful operation in a large number of paper mills, diffused all over the country. The firm also make Wood Pulp Grinding Machines, to manufacture which they possess exclusive patent rights. The firm publish a voluminous and comprehensive illustrated catalogue of their specialties which will be found of great value to intending purchasers. In addition to a large trade in this country, they ship extensively to foreign countries and during the past year they despatched over ten car loads of machinery to Japan alone. The operations of these extensive works afford constant employment to a force of about 150 mechanics, thus contributing largely to the general wealth of the community in the disbursement of large sums annually in wages. The members of the firm are Messrs. A. L. Stout, W. M. Mills, and John C. Temple, all of whom take a special working interest in the affairs of the concern and embody within themselves the practical management of the business. The enterprise is one of the largest of the kind in the country, and its operations are annually increasing.
405 and 407 East Third Street
One of the largest, best equipped and most reliable laundry establishments in southern Ohio is certainly that known as the Troy Laundry of this city. The business was founded in 1877, and since that period it has succeeded in enlarging and extending the scope of its operations until at the present time it caters for the work of two hundred and fifty agencies, and even this large number is being weekly extended.
The plant is contained in two floors at the above indicated address, each of which is 40 x 160 feet in dimensions. A steam engine of 35 horse power is required to operate the machinery and appliances, which are of the most modern and improved character. In fact, it would be impossible to obtain any apparatus of this character which could achieve better results. About sixty hands are given employment, and the whole establishment is conducted with a care and a system which materially advance perfection in the execution of the work and economy of operations. To the facilities of the establishment and conduct of the laundry under competent and practical supervision must be added the advantages obtained from the operation of an industry of this character at Dayton, where the water is peculiarly adapted for laundry purposes, and where there are the best of shipping facilities. Under these favorable conditions a patronage has been gained which includes in its scope this city and vicinity, and extends also through Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania and Kentucky.
The concern may be quoted as a pioneer and leader in this business here, and one which for a long time has enjoyed and merited the fullest confidence of the public, both at home and abroad.
I. & C. Van Ausdal
23 South Main Street
Of prominent houses in this city, that of Messrs. I. & C. Ausdal is entitled to particular mention as being on of the largest handlers of Carpets, Wall Paper, Upholstery, etc., in southern Ohio. The business was founded in 1845 by Mr. Isaac Van Ausdal, and he conducted it alone until the year 1885, when the present firm was organized. The store comprises the whole of a four-story building, in addition the upper floors of the adjacent premises. Seventeen assistants are here employed, and a large trade is transacted. The stock is of the largest, most complete and varied character. All varieties of carpets are handled, such as Axminsters, Brussels, Ingrain, Velvet Pile, Druggets, Wiltons, etc., as well as linoleum, floor and table oil clothes, etc. A special department is devoted to the assortment of Wall Papers, which are of the latest and most beautiful pattern and design, and selected with a due appreciation of the wants of all classes of patrons. Another specialty is made of Drapery and Upholstery Goods, also window shades, linen damasks, sheetings and interior decoration, and the house has attained an enviable reputation in every branch of it business. Goods are in every case purchased from first hands and manufactures, and are placed at the disposal of the public at lowest prices. The stock is very full and compete, embracing all qualities and affording the widest field from which selections can be made. The members of the firm are both well known residents, who for years have been identified with the welfare and advance of the community. In addition to his connection with the establishment, Mr. I. Van Ausdal is a director of the Cooper Insurance Company of this city. The standing of the house in commercial circles during nearly a half century of honorable endeavor may be regarded as sufficient guarantee for the prompt and satisfactory fulfillment of every representation made.
S. B. Williams
10 North Main Street
One of the oldest established business houses of Dayton is that of which we now speak. It was established in the year 1837, when it was founded by Mr. H. M. Brown. In 1860 Mr. A. C. Brown became proprietor, and in 1876 the firm of Brown and Williams was organized. Mr. S. B. Williams has conducted the business alone since the year 1886.
The premises consist of a commodious and well located store and basement, and also part of the upper floors, where a large, varies and well selected stock of Hats, Caps, Fur Goods, etc., is carried. The character of the stock is particularly noticeable for high quality and variety and all the latest goods of the season may here be found in profusion. Mr. Williams is also agent in this locality for the celebrated Know and Youman Hats. Another specialty is that of ladies seal garments, which are here produced in perfection. Mr. Williams devotes attention to the sale of a particular line of hats worn by the Dunker brethren, and transacts a large wholesale trade in them with dealers throughout Ohio, and these goods can be here procured to better advantage than elsewhere. Mr. Williams is a well known resident who has earned the confidence and respect of the community.