AGGRESSIVE IN HIS METHODS
As a type of the representative businessman and public spirited citizen, perhaps Dayton possesses few who are more justly entitled to credit than Mr. Weston Green, general manager of Green, Green & Company, manufacturers of crackers and cakes, whose place of business is located at 134, 136, 138 and 140 North Main Street. He has risen in a comparatively short time to a high rank in the business and commercial community of Dayton and is rightly numbered among its most prosperous and aggressive men. This, he has done by dint of his own efforts which were inspired through the well directed ambition, that has been the means of lifting him to the place he now occupies. Under the capable management, of which he is the directing spirit, the concern has grown from a small beginning to a plant that commands the attention of industrial circles throughout the country.
Mr. Green began to prepare himself for a business career at an early age and centered all his ambitions with a view to accomplishing the full measure of success and how well he has done this, is substantially attested by the high station he occupies among men, who are recognized as being largely responsible for the enviable reputation accorded the Gem City throughout the country.
He has been prominently identified with the various movements that have had, as their aim, the intensifying of the business activities of the city and to him is proportionately due the fact that there is not a more aggressive business center in the country. Weston Green was born near this city and was educated in the local public schools. Later his parents, Mr. And Mrs. John W. Green, removed to Fargo, Dakota, and from there, Weston attended the Shattuck Military School, from which he graduated in 1884.
Subsequently his parents moved to Chicago, where in 1896, the Green, Green & Company was formed, for the purpose of manufacturing crackers. The Chicago house was made the central department of the business, and within a short time, there after, a branch was established in this city. Two years later the Chicago business was removed to this city, and the two houses were consolidated. John W. Green, constituted the company originally and there has been no change made in the personnel of the company since that time. The business has gradually grown, however, under the astute management of Mr. Green and with harmonious cooperation of his father and brother and brother until today is one of the few independent concerns that have succeeded in maintaining themselves in the face of the spirited competition that was offered by a gigantic combination which, when first formed, embraced two large houses in this city one of which has been abandoned, the local trade now being cared for from one establishment.
In addition to the staple goods manufactured by Green, Green & Company, several specialties are carried, chief among which are the Dayton cracker, the Flag cracker, and a popular line of sugar wafers, the latter of which is manufactured by but one other independent firm in the United States.
The novel and characteristic means of advertising employed by this concern has been a substantial support in the development of its business, many attractive principles having been introduced, that have been found especially effective, among which is their “Good-Goods” trade mark.
Green, Green & Company sustained quite a severe loss as the result of a fire that completely gutted the establishment early last spring, but this failed to retard the business in the slightest degree. With characteristic enterprise, new equipment was installed at once and the business has grown with uniform steadiness since that time. Conditions are maintained at all times that are conductive to the production of a high grade of goods and this fact, together with the enterprising methods, has served to keep this company among the foremost of its kind in the country.
Capable employees and diligent watchfulness assures an output that appeals to the trade, and continued prosperity and the measure of success that always follows modern methods and consideration for the consumer, assures a continuance of the signal advancement that has marked the career of Green, Green & Company since its inception.
E. L. Greene
RAPIDLY MAKING HIS WAY
Believing Dayton to be a city where a young attorney with push, honesty and character could succeed, Mr. Greene adopted this city for his future home. He is a native of Wilmington, Ohio, and graduated from the Ann Arbor Law School. For over two years prior to his attendance at law school he was clerk of the probate court of Clinton county, which enabled him to lay an excellent foundation for what he intends to make a specialty, viz., probate law.
Mr. Greene has made a good start in Dayton and he is the kind that makes friends of all with whom he comes in contact.
F. B. Hale
UP TO HIS NECK IN THE GROCERY BUSINESS
Conservative buying and a wholesale amount of that essential quality of every successful American –push- have contributed to make F. B. Hale, the subject of this sketch, one of the best known and most successful retail grocers in the city.
Mr. Hale started in this business sixteen years ago, wholly without capital, but what he lacked in ready funds he made up in ambition and hard work and the result has been a gradual building up of his trade until it ranks as one of the largest and most prosperous in the county.
His hobby is a clean store, and so well has he established it that his place of business is thoroughly pleasing and attractive. Mr. Hale’s business has grown to such proportions that he has in his employ eight assistants every day in the week and the output of groceries is delivered by three delivery wagons, which run from twelve to fifteen hours daily.
He has tow independent Bell ‘phones and one Home ‘phone in his store, and their constant ringing reminds the visitor of the elevator bell in one of the large office buildings. He has been in his present location six years and sells everything in the line of first class groceries, including a fine line of foreign condiments.
W. R. Haney
AN ENTERPRISING COAL DEALER
Among the young businessmen in this city, Mr. Haney is one of the most enterprising. During his early boyhood he commenced to deposit one dollar each week in a Building Association. As he grew older he increased his savings to two or three dollars per week, the total amount thus saved being sufficient to enable him to embark in business when the opportunity presented itself. Mr. Haney has done a rapidly increasing coal and feed business at his location at 603 South Main Street, and has made a good start at his new branch coal yard at 640 South Jefferson Street.
He also does a large wholesale feed business, selling carload lots to the largest firms in the city. Mr. Haney shows a deep sentiment for the young man of today. He says, “Save two dollars per week of your earnings, make it a habit and as you grow into manhood you will be happier and successful.”
Starting with but one dollar per week, today he not only operates two coal yards, but is now identified with other local enterprises of importance, all of which he attributes to the fact that he saved from one to three dollars each week when a boy, and lots of hard work when he became a man.
W. E. Hartbottle
HE FITS THEM AS BREAD WINNERS
W. E. Hartbottle, a successful Business college man, who, as manager of the Jacobs Business university for one year, has doubled the number of its enrolled students, and supplied hundreds of expert bookkeepers, stenographers, penmen and typewriters to Dayton business men.
W. E. Hartbottle came to Dayton four years ago from the Canada Business College of Hamilton, Ontario, to take charge of the commercial department of the Jacobs Business University. His success led to his appointment as manager. He is the right man, progressive, popular with students, and all with whom he comes in contact. The Jacobs school is known for the fitness of its graduates. They are thorough and always successful. It is where actual business is taught in bookkeeping – and where penmanship is made a specialty.
It is the college that converts breadwinners. When you want to make this change in your son or daughter see Mr. Hartbottle.
Julius Caeser Hartley
“CUTS CLOTHES BUT NEVER HIS FRIENDS”
Thorough Daytonians, those conversant with local conditions, will scarcely need be told that the above is a very bad picture of Julius Caeser Hartley. Julius admits having tailored the clothing of the present and past generations, although some knowing ones there be who say Caeser opened the first tailor shop in Dayton; the extra loyal averring that he was here before the log cabin was put up, and when breech clouts for the Indians were the biggest part of Dayton’s apparel trade interests. But the more knowing ones say that Hartley has been cutting clothes just 25 years this month, right here in Dayton all the time. Everybody knows J. C. and J. C. knows everybody, so his silver anniversary now being held daily at the English Wollen Mills company’s store, in the Beckel Block, is making lots of new friends for that enterprising firm of Bunker Hillers, every Yankee enough to see the value of the British name to the tailoring business.
P.S. – Hartley didn’t cut the suit he wears in this picture; the artist did it; that’s why it’s a bad cut.
M. W. Hartnett
ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THE HARD JOBS
The subject of this sketch was born in Dayton in 1866. In 1897 he became associated with his father, James Hartnett, in the transfer business. In 1900, at the death of James Hartnett, the business was re-organized under the name of Hartnett Cartage Company, Successors, M. W. Hartnett, Manager. The company now has a very large storage warehouse at the southwest corner of Monument Avenue and Taylor Street. Mr. Hartnett gives personal attention to all the heavy hauling done by his company. Some of the large contracts for hauling recently performed by the Hartnett Transfer and Storage Company, was that of all building material for the new addition to the St. Elizabeth Hospital, new Reibold Building, and all dressed stone for the new U. B. Building. Mr. Hartnett, by constant effort, succeeds in keeping many teams and men at work about the city. He has many friends and is highly esteemed by all who know him.
C. E. Hawk
CONDUCTS A THRIVING SHOE BUSINESS
C. E. Hawk is the manager of the Dayton branch of the Lester Shoe Company. He established the local branch about four years ago, since which he has been in charge of its management.
The Lester Shoe stores, for there are 22 large establishments spread about the country, are controlled by G. R. Kinney and Company, whose central and executive offices are located at NO. 327 Duane Street, New York. Kinney and Company are among the largest, if not the largest, shoe dealing concerns in the United States. Presided over by a young man of exceptional business sagacity who is ably assisted by the resident managers of the stores operated by the company, all of whom are financially interested in the business, the big concern occupies a peculiar position in the shoe industry. Kinney and Company buy in immense quantities and the distribution is made at a great advantage by reason of the economy in purchasing. The buying is done for the 22 stores and not for any single establishment – a process that has worked a revolution in modern methods.
For the Lester Shoe stores last year one order was placed with a rubber firm aggregating $80,000 alone.
Of the many branches of the large concern the Dayton branch (Lester Shoe Company) ranks high. Established four years ago the store has developed a business highly satisfactory throughout. A general business in footwear is done, the stock embracing a large and well-selected variety of shoes, boots, rubbers, etc., for men, women and children.
Mr. Hawk, manager of the Dayton store, is a practical, all-round shoe man. Born in Northampton County, Pennsylvania, forty-three years ago, he early applied himself in commercial training and for thirteen years was connected with a large wholesale grocery. Later he embarked in the shoe business and for a while conducted a store in Wilkesbarre, coming from that city to Dayton at the time to represent Kinney and Company.
Mr. Hawk is married and resides with his wife and two children at No. 168 Hopeland Street.
Frank J. Hoersting
A GOOD MAN ON CORNICE WORK
Frank J. Hoersting, member of the firm of Hoersting and Holtmann, dealers in furnaces and manufacturers of cornices, spouting, and metal roofing, of 1124 West Third Street, is one of Dayton’s most aggressive businessmen and citizens. He has been in business in this city for a period of seventeen years. Four years ago he became associated with Louis P. Holtmann, forming the partnership.
Mr. Hoersting’s business covers all kinds of cornice work, slate and metal roofing, and the handling of furnaces. Messrs. Hoersting and Holtmann are sole agents for the Mueller and Gem City furnaces and have done much work for the best homes in the city as well as in business homes.
One of the most important branches of Hoersting and Holtmann business is the metal ceiling department. In this line they have put up the largest metal ceiling in the city – that of the St. Mary’s Institute. Other large jobs in this line were the Fourth Presbyterian Church and the Christian Publishing Company’s office building.
Aside from business Mr. Hoersting is characterized as a prominent and public- spirited gentleman. He is ever alive to a situation and may be depended upon for assistance in any project that will contribute to the welfare of the Gem City.
S. T. Hunter
WALKING ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSINESS INFORMATION
Mr. S. T. Hunter is the local manager of R. G. Dun and Company, the well-known mercantile agency, that has elegantly equipped offices on the fourth floor of the Conover building.
Mr. Hunter is assisted by an efficient staff of clerks and reporters who are kept busily engaged gathering and compiling information relative to the credit and responsibility of all traders in this and seven adjoining counties. The R. G. Dun and Company agency numbers among its patrons all of the banks, manufacturers and jobbers, it being a well known fact that a firm extending credit cannot well do without its services.
Mr. Hunter came to Dayton in May,1901, and since then he has made the acquaintance of almost every businessman in this section of the country. Before coming to this city, Mr. Hunter was, for four years, in charge of Dun and Company’s offices at Richmond, Ind., and prior to that time, was connected with the same firm in Cincinnati and Louisville. He is a native of Kentucky and his first and only business is with this firm. He tells his friends the reason he is so strongly attached to the business is the fact that it is a training with a view to honesty inasmuch as so much confidence is reposed in the reports of the agency that it would mean ruination to be dishonest.
R. G. D. and Company maintains offices in every important city of the world. In addition to reporting on the credit and financial standing of persons engaged in business, they publish a weekly trade review, which is published in all of the newspapers of the country. Statistics of failures, prices, cost of living and other valuable information is kept in order to forecast the situation.
Lee Warren James
CAPABLE YOUNG ATTORNEY
Mr. Lee Warren James, the subject of this sketch, is one of the best known of the younger members of the Montgomery County bar association and has already won for himself a high position by his talents and superior industry.
He early showed a decided liking for the bar of justice and his training was so shaped as to admirably fit him for the work of his life.
In recognition of his work and abilities he has been honored with the nomination for prosecuting attorney of this county on the Democratic ticket.
Mr. Jame’s intelligence and resources are admirably shown in the world of chess and checkers, in which he has won a position that places him with the leading exponents of those games in the Middle West.
A. C. Jones
ON THE WATER WAGON
The above cartoon portrays a scene which is produced many times each summer day in Dayton. The innocent bystanders are taken unawares and treated to a little water to their discomfiture, while the street urchin keeps his weather eye open for the water wagon and the iceman.
In addition to the street sprinkling business, Mr. Jones conducts a retail cola and wholesale and retail feed business on Albert Street, opposite Jefferson Street Canal Bridge. As the necessity for street sprinkling decreases, the necessity for coal increases, therefore the combination is an advantageous business proposition.
To make a sure thing doubly sure, and for fear he might have a day to loaf, Mr. Jones added the feed department, which is an all-the-year-round business.
BELIEVES CLENLINESS & PURITY ESSENTIAL
The above is a likeness of A. B. Kolker, proprietor of the Vienna Model Bakery, located at 216 North Main Street, where he has conducted a successful business for a period of about twenty-four years. Mr. Kolker has made the first Vienna bread in Dayton and, starting with the very best and purest materials obtainable he has not let it deteriorate in quality since that time but on the other hand has added improvements that more modern and up-to-date facilities and methods have made possible. In addition to the bread that is baked by this concern, there is a large product of cakes and pies each day. In addition to the Vienna bread, the same concern also makes “Mother’s” bread, which is familiar to every household in Dayton. There is also a large daily output of rye bread and withal this concern is one of the most complete and best equipped in the city. One of the features of the Vienna Model Bakery is cleanliness, which Mr. Kolker has always recognized as one of the best recommendations that any establishment of this kind can offer. The “Mother’s” bread can only be obtained at the Vienna bakery and since its introduction in Dayton the demand has grown to immense proportions. While the merits of the Vienna Model Bakery are generally know, the fact that it has been operated under the same management for more than two score years is a substantial testimonial as to its reliability which the growing popularity tends to emphasize.
PROMINENT EAST END GROCER
One of the finest and most liberally patronized stores of the East End is the Hill Top grocery, located at the northeast corner of Third and Beckel streets.
Mr. Kuntz was born in Madriver Township in 1866. He is the son of Joseph Kuntz, Sr., of North Dayton. Mr. Kuntz was reared on his father’s homestead and was educated in the parochial schools. In 1888 he married Miss Anna G. Kinzig. He at once located on East Third street, embarking in the grocery business. After three years of fruitful effort he purchased his present location and now owns a modern home located next door, east of his place of business.
Mr. Kuntz is a member of many social and fraternal societies, K. of C., Elk Lodge, Young Butchers, Retail Butchers’ and Grocers’ Association, K. of St. John and others.
He was a member of council from the Third ward for three years and is at present the Democratic candidate for council-at-large. Mr. Kuntz is popular among his friends and his success is attributed to hard work and constant effort.
J. R. Laughlin
SUCCESS REWARDS HIS EFFORTS
Mr. J. R. Laughlin, the subject of this sketch, is one of Dayton’s prosperous young business men and although he is but twenty-six years of age has assumed responsibilities that would probably be greater and require more even judgment than is possessed by the average business man. About two years ago, when Mrs. C. L. Kiefaber opened a fashionable café in this city and was impressed with the necessity of placing some one in charge, in whose ability she had sufficient confidence to entrust its management, and after casting about for some time, concluded to engage Mr. Laughlin.
The opening of such an establishment, she was convinced, was somewhat of a venture and required skillful management. It was at that time in the nature of an experiment and without the exercise of the wisest business judgment, the place could not be conducted without heavy loss. However, the wisdom of her judgment has been borne out by results that have accrued since the project was undertaken.
The business has been gradually increasing and the café is now an established fact, having greatly outgrown the experimental period and having been placed not only upon a profitable, but even lucrative basis.
Before assuming the management of this fashionable café, Mr. Laughlin had been engaged in various industrial pursuits and by this means obtained the experience that has enabled him to bring the standard of the business at the head of which he now stands, up to its present status and the success he has achieved in, this connection reflects great credit upon his ability, devotion to duty, and business fact.
Warren G. Matthews
IT’S EASY TO GUESS THIS FACE
The immortal Bryant voiced an eternal truth when he declared: “To him who in the love of nature olds communion with her visible forms she speaks a various language.” for probably one of her many visible forms is the flower. Flowers are said to be God’s choicest gift to man. They unfold the latent spiritual qualities resident in the human breast, comfort the sick, waft a promise of success to the young many and woman just leaving school or college, crown the victories of field and sea, enhance the value of human association whether that association be purely intellectual or social and finally, when man passes from the scene of earthly action, loving hands and tender hearts are glad to be able to symbolize the qualities of him that has passed with just a spray of the purity and grace embodied in flowers.
It is thus that flowers have even been used for all occasions, where human endeavors have had to seek, recourse to nature.
It is of this peculiar service that few men are better qualified and have had more varied experience than Warren G. Matthews, proprietor of the Dayton Floral Avenue, Dayton View.
Mr. Matthews is distinctly a floriculturist. He was born in Warrick County, Indiana, January 14, 1861, receiving his common school education in that community. When he was two years of age the elder Matthews died. The son continued at school in the meantime, faithfully performing such service as attends the cultivation of a farm, subsequently entering the Normal school at Boonville, Indiana. At 15 Warren went to Chicago where he applied himself to the study of botany and floriculture, obtaining both the theoretical and practical sides of the business that later established for him a worthy reputation.
In 1883, Mr. Matthews came to Dayton to take charge of the green houses of George R. Mumma, north of the city. In the autumn of the following year he married Miss Flora Mumma, daughter of his employer, three children, Walter, Ruth, and Florence being the issue of the union. The wife and mother were called to death in 1891. Mr. Matthews in 1893 wedding Miss Swartsell and of the second union two children were born, a boy and a girl.
In 1885 Mr. Matthews made his venture in business, establishing a modest store for the sale of cut flowers on Fifth Street, adopting its name The Dayton Floral Company. This was shortly supplanted by the establishment of the magnificent greenhouse in Riverdale which covers more than 20,000 square feet of space devoted to the culture of cut flowers, plants, exofies, etc. In addition to the greenhouses proper Mr. Matthews operates two retail stores, one in the Arcade managed by his son, Walter Matthews, the other in the Callahan Building at Third and Main Streets, where the products of the nurseries are available at all times for the many classes of service to which flowers and plants are put. Mr. Matthews, moreover, devotes special attention to landscape gardening and professional horticultural work.
The story of Mr. Matthews success is one of energy, pluck and perseverance, for the subject of this sketch has had to contest with almost insurmountable difficulties, beginning with the sad misfortune that claimed his wife in 1891. By a disastrous fire in 1893 the establishment was almost completely destroyed, horses, stock and other valuable accessories being consumed in the ruinous blasts.
In the spring of 1898 a disastrous flood again wrought destruction but despite these adversities, Mr. Matthews determined to overcome. That he has won an admirable victory is attested best by the rapid growth of the business over which he presides and gives personal supervision in every detail.
A record kept by Mr. Matthews since his entrance into business, discloses the interesting fact that the plant had supplied the floral luxuries for more than fifteen hundred weddings while the floral tributes to the dead have in the same period aggregated more than three thousand. This output does not, of course, include the qualities of flowers and plants that have been used at banquets, social functions, commencements, meetings and similar gatherings innumerable, over each of which Mr. Matthews has given personal direction in arrangement and distribution.
The Dayton Floral Company has a clientele that possesses full confidence in the ability, selection and taste of Mr. Matthews. All that is necessary is to inform him as to the nature of the occasion and what is wanted in a general way. The quality and the necessary judgment in arrangement will follow unfailingly. The stock is so diversified and extensive and the judgment of Mr. Matthews so clear and scrupulously correct that satisfaction for the most fastidious is inevitable.
Besides Mr. Matthews is actively identified with the affairs and work of the Nations Society of American Florists and Ornamental Horticulturists, the national convention of which will be held next year in Dayton, and the Montgomery County Horticultural Society.
In social and fraternal circles he is well and favorably known, being an active member of the Knights of Pythias, and also the Dramatic Order Knights of Khorassan, The Patriotic Order Sons of America, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Antlers’ Club. A function given by any of these orders is incomplete without the presence of Mr. Matthews, who is always one of the leading spirits.
H. M. McQuinney
DAYTON’S TEA AND COFFEE EXPERT
Mr. McQuinney, the subject of this cartoon, is associated with Mr. G. F. Rude, in conducting what is said to be the finest and best equipped tea and coffee store in Ohio. Mr. McQuinney spent eight years as expert tea and coffee taster in one of the largest wholesale houses in Philadelphia and had justly earned the title of “expert.”
In order to meet the demands of their growing trade and to give their patrons the advantages of a first-class establishment, they recently moved into their beautiful new store at 133 South Main Street. One of the new and interesting features of this store is the cup-testing department, where all teas and coffees handled by the concern are tested as thoroughly as in a wholesale house. Mr. McQuinney is a very pleasant and congenial gentleman and interests his patrons with his quaint down-east expressions.
E. M. Mendenhall
HE LIVES TO DYE AND DYES TO LIVE
About ten years ago the first steam and dry cleaning dye house was opened in Dayton by Mr. Mendenhall. From a small beginning, he has built one of the finest plants of its kind in the country. His equipment enables him to do everything in his line from dry cleaning of the finest evening dresses to dyeing of the heaviest carpets and rugs. Mr. Mendenhall receives a large patronage from prominent actors, receiving their work from different parts of the country. He employs about twelve regular assistants, in addition to those employed at his Richmond, Ind. Branch.
Mr. Mendenhall’s latest venture is the new apartment house located at North Main Street, at its intersection with Vincent. He has also just completed a $10,000 improvement to his fine establishment at 29 South Ludlow.
Return to "Business Men of Dayton" Home Page