Medical History-Early Medical Societies-Early Physicians-The First Medical Bill-Dr. John Steele-Other Early Physicians-Dr. Job Haine-Dr. John W. Shriver -Dr. Oliver Crook-Dr. Clarke McDermont-Other Deceased Physicians-Dr. John Wise-Dr. J. C. Reeve-Dr. Ellis Jennings-Dr. W. J. Conklin-Dr. D. W. Greene-Dr. C. H. Von Klein-Dr. George Goodhue-Dr. John S. Beck-Dr. A. E. Jenner-Dr. James M. Weaver-Dr. J. J. Mcllhenny-Dr. E. Pilate-Dr. P. N. Adams-Dr. C. H. Pollock-Dr. H. K. Steele-Dr. A. H. Iddings-The Montgomery County Medical Society-Homeopathic Physicians-Dr W. Webster-Dr. J. E. Lowes-Dr. W. Thomas-Dr. W. H. Grundy, deceased-The Montgomery County Homeopathic Medical Society-The Mad River Dental Society-Early Dentistry and Dentists-Later Dentists-The Cholera in Dayton in 1819.
THE Ohio Centinel July 24, 1814, contains a call over the signature of A. Coleman, of Troy, secretary, for a meeting of the Seventh District Medical Society, to be held in Dayton, at Major Reid's tavern, on the first Monday in September. On the 16th. of October, 1815, Dr. John Steele, secretary of the board of censors of the Seventh Medical District of Ohio, announced in the Republican a meeting of the board in Dayton, on the first Monday in November, and requested all emigrant physicians who had commenced the practice of medicine within the limits of the district since 1812, to attend for examination. The censors who neglected this meeting were warned that they would be removed from office by the election of others to fill their places. On the 3d of July, 1816, a number of practicing physicians in the Seventh Medical District met at Dayton and formed the Dayton Medical Society. It was to meet at. Dayton on the first Mondays of April, July, and November. Dr. Henry Chapze, of Xenia, delivered the first dissertation before the society. Dr. John Steele was the secretary. The names of' the other officers are not given in the Republican.
On May 25, 1824, the Montgomery and Clarke County Society was organized at David Reid's tavern, by the physicians of the Seventh Medical District of Ohio Dr. Job Haines was appointed secretary.
The Seventh Medical District, Montgomery and Clarke counties, met at David Reid's inn May 21, 1824, and elected the following officers for the ensuing year: President, John Steele; vice-president, Hugh Alexander; treasurer, Nathaniel Strong; censors, William Blodgett, William Mount, R. W. Hunt, and A. A. Blount.
(page 521) On May 27, 1828, at a meeting of the Medical Society of the Seventh
District, held at Colonel David Reid's tavern, the following officers were elected: President, Dr. William Blodgett; vice-president, Dr. Lot. Cooper; secretary and treasurer, Dr. W. Mount; censors, Drs. A. A. Blount, E. Lawrence, H. Alexander, W. A. Needham, and R. E. Stephens; delegate to the medical convention, Dr. Edwin Smith. Following is a list of the members of the Seventh District Medical. Convention: Drs. H. Alexander, William Blodgett, A. A.,Blount, P. M. Crume, Lot. Cooper, Nelson Donnellan, C. G. Espich, Robert Houston, Job Haines, R. W. Hunt, H. Humphreys, E. Lawrence, I. I. Tellers, Nathaniel Strong, John Steele, Robert E. Stephens, Thomas S. Fowler, Edwin Smith, Hibbert Jewett, Thomas Haines, William Lindsey, W. A. Needham, and W. Mount.
Nothing further could be learned with reference to any of these societies, and the probability is, that they were permitted to expire without further effort to continue their labors.
In a chapter of this kind it will hardly be expected that mention of all the physicians that have been in Dayton can be made. All that can be done is to notice a few of the more prominent ones, and it is not pretended that many of those who are not mentioned are not as worthy as many of those that are. The first physician to practice in Dayton was James Welsh, M. D., D.D., who was also pastor of the First Presbyterian Church. He commenced practice here in 1804, and remained until 1817. William Murphy, M. D., was here from 1804 to 1809. John Elliott, M. D., was also an early physician of the place, and died in 1809. Dr. P. Wood came to Dayton in 1809, and advertised that he had taken part of the building occupied by David Reid where he might at all times be found by those who needed medical or surgical aid. Dr. Charles Este came here in 1810. Dr- . Edwards came in 1811. He raised a company of soldiers during the war of 1812, and with it marched to Detroit. Dr. John Steele came in 1812, and remained until 1854. Dr. Job Haines came in 1817, and remained until his death in 1860. Dr. William Blodgett came in 1818.
Dr. Edwin Smith was here in 1826. Drs. Hibberd and Adams Jewett are mentioned in later pages. Dr. William Lindsey was here in 1826. Dr. David Jordan came in 1831, and offered his services to the public by means of advertisements, as was customary in those days. He said that he belonged to the Reformed or Botanical School of Medicine, and would practice that system as taught in the Reformed Medical College of the city of New York. Dr. D. L. Terry came in 1832 and formed a partnership with Dr. Jordan. Dr. Elisha Brown, Jr., was a prominent physician of Dayton about 1840. He was drowned in White River, at Indianapolis, (page 522) Indiana, June-80, 1843. Dr. Jacob Coblentz and Dr. Edward Bantz were in partnership in the practice of medicine in 1849. Numerous other physicians came from time to time, and brief professional sketches of some of them, who were among the oldest class of doctors, and also a few of those who are now in practice are inserted in this chapter. The following is a copy of what is believed to have been the first bill by a medical lean in Dayton. It was furnished by Dr. J. C. Reeves, who was indebted for it to the kindness of Mrs. John G. Lowe:
FEBRUARY 18, 1811. H. G. PHILLIPS TO JAMES WELSH, DR.
August 15. To delivery of lady and attendance, afterward spirits laud., oil cin., and large paper of magnes- $10.00
August 22. To one visit and advice - .50
October 11. To oz. ij elixir paregoric – .56 1/4
November 2-3. To five visits, one in the night, ten drs. phosphorated soda, and oz. magnes alb. for lady – 2.00
December 6.To two visits and oz. iv. phial antispasmodic for child – $1.25
December 7. To visit and oz. ij elixir paregoric for child - .62 3/4
December 17-18. To visit and phial antispasmodic medicine oz. ij spirits nitre and oz. ij elixir paregoric – $2.12 3/4
December 23. To visit and advice - .50
December 28. To two visits, box mercurial ointment and oz. ij conserve roses - $1.18 1/4
December 30. To three visits, phial anodyne medicine and three portions of calomel for child - $1.25
January 1. To visit and advice - .50
January 1. To bottle laxative absorbent medicine - .75
January 2. To attendance through the day and night, one large blister, sundry injections, scarifications, one bottle Godfrey's cordial, and sundry portions of calomel and ipecac - $2.50
(Total) $23. 75 - $15.91 = $7.84
John Steele, M. D., was the son of Robert and Agnes Coulter Steele, and was born in Fayette County, Kentucky, April 1, 1791. He was educated at TransylvaniaUniversity, Lexington, Kentucky, and afterward attended lectures in the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, of which college the celebrated Dr. Benjamin Rush was a professor and lecturer. Dr. Steele chose Dayton as the place for the commencement of the practice of his profession, because it was the residence of his brother -James Steele. During the war of 1812 he found ample opportunity to use and increase his knowledge of surgery, and thus to better prepare himself for a career in the practice of that branch of his profession which was much more than ordinarily successful. His practice was not confined to the city of Dayton, but extended to much of (page 523) the County of Montgomery, and the field of his labors was thus very extensive. His success in his profession was doubtless owing in part at least to the unusual geniality and kindness of his nature, and to his inexhaustible fund of wit and humor, which did much to relieve the pain and despondency of the sick room. His life was so uniform in its course and in its events, that in a professional sketch of this kind within the limits assigned to such sketches but little can be said except of a general nature. Ile had been a member, and also at one time president of the Montgomery County Medical Society. Immediately after his death, October 21, 1854, the society passed a series of resolutions of respect and of eulogy, and attended his funeral in a body.
Dr. Job Haines was born October 28, 1791, in the State of New Jersey. He was furnished by his parents with the means of a collegiate education. Having graduated at Princeton, and having prepared himself for the medical profession at Morristown and Philadelphia he left his father's house duly 5, 1815, and arrived at Cincinnati August 2d. After a visit to friends at Springfield, he came to Dayton, where he commenced the practice of medicine on the 29th of January, 1817. He continued in the practice of his profession until his death, which occurred July 23, 1860. Dr. Haines was a man of great merit, but was more retiring and modest than many others. He was a good physician of the old school, and had the respect and confidence of the community to the highest degree. Few, if any, of the early pioneers of Dayton were missed more at their death than Dr. Haines.
John W. Shriver, M. D., was born in ChesterCounty, in 1812. He was educated at JeffersonCollege, and read medicine with Dr. Hayes at Centerville, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. After being thus engaged about three years, he succeeded to the practice of Dr. Hayes, who died at that time. He practiced there until about 1852, when he came to Dayton, and remained in practice here until his death, in 1875.
Dr. Shriver was an excellent physician, as well as an excellent man. He was always very considerate of the necessities of the poor, and had a very extensive practice.
Oliver Crook, M. D., was born in WayneTownship, Montgomery County, Ohio, August 14, 1818. His first study of medicine was with Drs. Elias and Michael Garst, and he then attended lectures at the medical department of the University of New York, graduating there in 1847. He was also in attendance at the BellevueHospitalMedicalCollege, and commenced practice in Dayton in 1847. After being in practice here some years, be went to the Eye and Ear Infirmary in New York for some time, in order that he might make diseases of those (page 524) organs one of his specialties. He was in partnership with Dr. Koogler a few years, and afterward with his brother, Dr. James Crook, the latter partnership being terminated by the death of Dr. James Crook, in 1855. From this time until his death, April 28, 1873, he was in practice alone. His practice was very large among all classes in Dayton, and it is believed that its exacting requirements very materially shortened his life.
Clarke McDermont, M. D., was born in Ireland in 1823. Having received a classical education, he emigrated to America; was for a time principal of a private school in Lexington, Kentucky, and there began his professional studies under the celebrated Dr. Dudley, of TransylvaniaUniversity. Graduating with the degree M. D. from the University of New York, in 1849, he subsequently attended lectures in the medical schools of Edinburgh, and upon returning to America, in 1850, was associated with Prof. Detmold, of New York, as his assistant in teaching a class of medical students and in the management of his surgical clinic. He was a member of the American Association and of the Montgomery County Medical Society, being president of the latter in 1860. In 1861, he was appointed surgeon of the Second Ohio Regiment; was promoted to be surgeon of United States volunteers in April, 1862; was medical director of the right wing of the army of the Cumberland in 1862-1863; was surgeon in charge of the Cumberland United States army hospital at Nashville, Tennessee, in 1863-1864, and subsequently of the officers' hospital at Louisville, Kentucky. He is honorably mentioned in General Rosecrans' report of the battle of Murfreesboro for "gallantry on the battle-field" acid "great humanity in the care of the wounded." In recognition of his services he received the brevet (relative) rank of lieutenant-colonel United States volunteers. At the close of the war he was appointed surgeon-general of Ohio, and from 1867 to 1874 held the position of chief surgeon to the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, near Dayton, leaving some two thousand beneficiaries.
Samuel G. Armor, M. D., -was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, January 29, 1818, of Scotch-Irish parentage. While young, his parents moved to Ohio. He received his education at FranklinCollege, New Athens, Ohio, and the degree of LL. D. was conferred upon him in the same institution, at its commencement in June, 1872. He studied medicine with Dr. James S. Irvine, of Millersburg, Ohio, and graduated in the MissouriMedicalCollege in 1844. Soon after his graduation he located at Rockford, Illinois. In 1847 he accepted an invitation to deliver a special course of lectures on physiology in the Rush Medical College, Chicago, and the following year he was tendered the chair of physiology (page 525) and pathology in the same institution, which be declined for the reason that he had just accepted the same chair in the medical department of the Iowa University, located at Keokuk, Iowa. He subsequently resigned his chair in this institution and accepted the chair of natural sciences in the ClevelandUniversity, in the meantime devoting himself to the general practice. of his profession. In July, 1853, the Ohio State Medical Society awarded to Dr. Armor a prize for his essay on the "Zymotic Theory of the Essential Fevers," and during the same year he resigned the chair of the natural sciences in the ClevelandUniversity, and accepted the chair of physiology and pathology in the medical college at Cincinnati, Ohio. During the following year he was transferred to the chair of pathology and practice of medicine and clinical medicine, made vacant by the resignation of Professor L. M. Lawson, which chair he continued to fill during his connection with the school. In May, 1856, Dr. Armor was married to Mary M. Holcomb, of Dayton, Ohio, and soon after resigned his position in the Medical College of Ohio, and transferred his residence to this city. Immediately after his resignation in the Medical College of Ohio, he was elected to the chair of pathology and clinical medicine in the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, of which institution he was an alumnus. In 1861, he was tendered the chair of institutes of medicine and materia medica in the University of Michigan, which position he accepted, making his residence at Detroit. In 1866, he accepted the chair of therapeutics, materia medica and general pathology in Long IslandCollegeHospital, of Brooklyn, New York, and the following year he was transferred to the chair of practice of medicine and. clinical medicine made vacant by the resignation of Professor Austin Flint, which position he held until his death.
John Davis, M. D., was a native of Virginia, and was a graduate of StarlingMedicalCollege, Columbus, Ohio, in 1847. For a few years he practiced medicine in the country, and came to Dayton in 1850. Here he remained in practice the rest of his life, practicing alone with the exception of the two years, during which time, from April 1, 1881, to his death, June 10, 1883, he was in partnership with Dr. George Goodhue. For many years Dr. Davis was one of the most prominent physicians in Dayton, had a very large practice, and enjoyed the confidence and esteem of the entire community. The better he was known the better he was appreciated. He was one of nature's true noblemen, with a large heart and a generous disposition. He gave his attention largely to surgery, and had most of the work in this department of practice that the railroads centering in Dayton required to have done. He was a member of the (page 526) Ohio State Medical Society and of the Montgomery County Medical Society, and was consulting surgeon in St. Elizabeth's Hospital. He was one of the trustees of the Dayton asylum for the insane, and was very influential in securing the location of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers at this place.
Hibberd Jewett, M. D., was born in Putney, Vermont, November 9, 1799. He graduated from the medical department of DartmouthCollege in 1820, and from that time until his removal to Dayton, in 1828 or 1832, practiced medicine in Vermont or New Hampshire, or both. He was, of course, an allopathic physician and practiced according to the principles of that school until his death, October 26, 1870, enjoying a large practice and the confidence of the community in an unusual degree. He had, as a partner in his practice, his brother, Adams Jewett, from 1842 to 1859 or 1860; for the rest of the time he practiced alone.
Adams Jewett was born July 26, 1807, in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. He graduated as bachelor of arts from DartmouthCollege in 1827. He then studied medicine in Paris from 1834 to the early part of 1837, and went thence to Edinburgh, Scotland, where during the same year lie received his diploma from the Royal College of Surgeons. Returning to the United States, he entered upon the practice of medicine in Mobile, Alabama, remaining there until 1842, when he came to Dayton and entered into partnership with his brother, Hibberd Jewett, which partnership lasted until 1859 or 1860, when it was dissolved, and Dr. Adams Jewett practiced alone until 1870, when he took into partnership his son, Henry S. Jewett, who graduated as a bachelor of arts from the University of Michigan in 1868, and from the medical department of that university in 1870. In 1872, Dr. H. S. Jewett went to Europe and studied medicine for a year and a half at Berlin and Vienna, returning to Dayton in the latter part of 1873. The partnership between Dr. Adams Jewett and Dr. H. S. Jewett continued until the death of the former in 1875, since when the latter has been engaged in practice on his own account. Thomas L. Neal, M. D., was born in Mechanicsburg, Ohio, in 1830. He was educated at the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, and was appointed house physician at St. John'sHospital in that city, serving in that capacity one year. He served. as surgeon in connection with the Second West Virginia Regiment of Cavalry during a portion of the war, and then located at Dayton, where he practiced medicine the rest of his life. He was health officer of the city for about ten years. He practiced medicine in partnership with Dr. Jennings for three years, from 1870 to 1873. He was a member of the board of pension examiners during 1872, and he was a member of the American Health (page 527) Association, and of the Ohio Medical Society, and also of the Montgomery County Medical Society. His death occurred in February, 1885.
Dr. Neal was one of the most prominent and esteemed Members of the medical profession in the city of Dayton, and was also highly honored in social circles.
Edmund Smith, M. D., was born on Long Island, N. Y., July 1, 1816. He graduated at MiamiUniversity in 1835, and took his degree of medicine at the Medical College of New York City. In 1839, he entered upon the practice of medicine in Dayton, and continued in the practice here until his death, August 15, 1851. He enjoyed a high reputation as a physician. During the cholera epidemic of 1849, he was chosen physician of the cholera hospital, and in this trying and responsible position acquitted himself in a manner at once creditable to his skill as a physician and his firmness and courage as a man.
John Wise, M. D., one of the oldest resident physicians of Dayton, studied medicine at Damascus, Ohio, with Drs. Solomon Schreve and John Vale. He commenced his studies with them in 1842, and remained a student there until the latter part of 1844, passing two of the winters in Cleveland, Ohio, attending lectures in the medical department of the Western Reserve College, the college, however, being located at Hudson, Ohio. In 1844 he graduated from the Cleveland college, and settled down to the practice of medicine at Petersburg, Ohio, where he remained four years, and in 1848 went to Cincinnati. After a practice of one year in Cincinnati lie removed to Dayton, arriving here April 10th of that year, and immediately secured a large practice in connection with the cholera epidemic, in which he was indefatigable in his labors and largely successful. The extensive practice he then acquired he has since retained. In April, 1861, within twenty-four hours after FortSumter was fired upon, Dr. Wise entered the service of the United States, and from that time until the fall of 1864 he was connected with the Mississippi squadron as surgeon, returning then to Dayton, where he has since remained. John Charles Reeve, M. D., was born in England, June 5, 1826. His parents came to the United States in 1832, and he enjoyed excellent educational advantages until he was twelve years of age. At this time, by family reverses, he was thrown entirely upon his own resources. He learned the printer's trade, and spent several years in the offices of the Cleveland Advertiser and Herald. While thus engaged, and afterward by an attendance of several winters at common schools, and by one summer at an academy, he qualified himself for teaching, and followed this profession as the best means of self-improvement. He then read medicine with Dr. John Delaniater, professor of obstetrics in the medical (page 528) department of the Western ReserveCollege, at Cleveland, Ohio. In 1849, he began the practice of medicine in Dodge County, Wisconsin. Sonic four years afterward lie visited Europe for the purpose of further prosecuting his studies. After spending one winter in London, and a summer at the University of Gottingen, Germany, he returned to the United States and settled in Dayton. Here he rapidly won the confidence of the people, and has since occupied a leading position in the community as a physician and surgeon. He is a member of the Montgomery County Medical Society, and has been several times its president. He is also a member of the Ohio State Medical Society, and has been its president; of the American Medical Association, and of the American Gynecological Society, of which he was one of the founders, and was its first vice-president. His attainments and position have been recognized by his election as an associate fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
Ellis Jennings, M. D., was born at Wilmington, Ohio, December 29, 1833. He was educated at the Troy high school and at AntiochCollege, and graduated at the Medical College of Ohio, Cincinnati, in March, 1862. On his retirement from the army, at the close of the civil war, he settled at Dayton in September, 1865. He is a member of the Montgomery County Medical Society, and of the Ohio State Medical Society, of which he was assistant secretary in 1875. He entered the United States Army in August, 1862, as acting assistant surgeon of the Fifth Iowa Infantry, serving at the battle of Corinth, October 4, 1862; at Hospital Number 2, Nashville, Tennessee, from December,.1863, to March, 1865; and at Camp Dennison, Ohio, as post surgeon from March to June, 1865, the close of the war. Since that time he has been continuously engaged in practice, and alone, except during the three years from 1870 to 1873, inclusive, when he was in partnership with Dr. Thomas L. Neal. He has been medical director of the Odd Fellows' National Beneficiary Association since its organization.
William Judkins Conklin, A. M., M. D., was born in Sidney, Ohio, December 1, 1844. He entered the OhioWesleyanUniversity at Delaware, Ohio, where he graduated as a bachelor of arts in 1866, and began the study of medicine with his father, Dr. H. S. Conklin, one of the most prominent physicians of the MiamiValley, and graduated from the Medical College of Ohio in the spring of 1868. In 1869, the DetroitMedicalCollege conferred upon him the ad eundem degree. In May following, he was appointed assistant physician of the Dayton asylum for the insane, which position he held until December, 1871, when he resigned to accept a partnership with Dr. J. C. Reeve, of Dayton, and he (page 529) was thus associated until January, 1876. In the same year he was appointed by Governor R. B. Hayes a member of the board of trustees of the Dayton asylum for the insane. From 1875 to 1886 he was a member of the faculty of StarlingMedicalCollege, Columbus, Ohio, first as professor of physiology and afterward as professor of the diseases of children. He is a member of the American Medical Association, of the Ohio State Medical Society, of the State Sanitary Association, and of the Montgomery County Medical Society. He has been a member of the surgical staff of St.ElizabethHospital since its organization. D. W. Greene, M. D., was born in Fairfield, Greene County, Ohio, May 17, 1851. In 1868, he entered the OhioWesleyanUniversity and would have graduated from the classical department in 1873, but for an injury received in a fall near the close of the junior year. This caused him to sever his connection with the university, but, notwithstanding, the degree of bachelor of arts was conferred upon him by the university in 1887. On January 1, 1873, he began the study of medicine with his father, and afterward attended three full courses of lectures at the OhioMedicalCollege and graduated with honors in the spring of 1876, having received the Bartholow prize for best examination in medicine and the Dawson prize for best surgical drawing. After practicing his profession three years in Fairfield with his father, he came to Dayton in May, 1882, the previous year, however, having been spent in New York in the study of diseases of the eye and ear. In the fall of 1883, he was appointed oculist and aurist to the Central Branch of the Soldiers' Home and is still serving in that capacity. During 1888 he spent six months in study and observation with the leading oculists and aurists in Europe. He is a member of the MontgomeryCounty and OhioState medical societies, and is an honorary member of the Northwestern Ohio Medical Society. Carl H. Von Klein, A. M., M. D., was born in West Prussia, in 1843. He is of Polish origin, his grandfather on his mother's side, Count Sigm.Ad Veutovitch, having been the last treasurer of Poland. Until he was thirteen years old, lie was educated in his father's family by a governess, who taught him three languages, Polish, French, and German. He then prepared for college at Marian Weder, West Prussia, and at the age of sixteen entered the gymnasium of Koenigsberg, remaining there until he graduated at the age of twenty-two. He then commenced the study of medicine at the University of Prussia, at Koenigsberg, and from there he went to Berlin, and thence to Prague, remaining two semesters at each place, and then spent one semester at Berlin. In 1867, he passed the " Stat Examin" at Berlin, which entitled him to practice medicine. In the same year he was placed as assistant surgeon in the Fifth Army Corps, remaining there one year, (page 530) when he was transferred to the Sixth Army Corps, remaining in connection therewith until the breaking out of the Franco-Prussian war, when he took charge of a temporary field hospital in the suburbs of Hanover, remaining thus engaged five months. He then went oil board the man-of-war, "King Frederick William the Great," remaining there until February 23, 1872, when, after lauding at Portland, Maine, he went immediately to Cincinnati, and engaged in the practice of medicine until 1876, when he was ordered by the " Red Cross of Geneva" to take a position in the army during the war in Servia. He remained there eight months and returned to the United States in 1877. On June 2d of this year, he was commissioned by the Russian government as surgeon in the Russian army, and served in that capacity until 1880, when he again returned to the United States and settled down to the practice of medicine in Hamilton, Ohio. Here he remained until 1883, when he came to Dayton, and has been here ever since. He now has a large and, lucrative practice. Dr. Ton Klein is a member of the German National Association of Physicians and Surgeons, of the 'German Microscopical Association, of the German Laryngological Association, of the German Philological Association, of the International Congress Laryngological and Autological Association, of the American Medical Association, of the American Academy of Medicine, is ex-president of the American Rhinological Association, is a member of the Medico-Legal Association, of the American Microscopical Association, of the American Medical Editors and Authors' Association, and of several other associations both State and national. Ile is an honorary member of the Moscow Imperial Association, of the Niederlander Association, and of the International Medical Association. Ile is corresponding member of the Medical Society of Geneva, of the Imperial Society of St. Petersburg, and of the Imperial Society of Bucharest, and he has been decorated with the Order of St. Anna, of St. Vladimir, of St. Stanislaus, and of the Stara Romana.
George Goodhue, M. D., was born in Westminster, Vermont, May 21, 1853. Ile graduated at DartmouthCollege, with the degree of A. B., in 1876, and was then appointed professor of chemistry in the MiamiValleyCollege, holding that position until the close of the year 1877. He then commenced the study of medicine in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, and for a second course went to the Medical Department of Dartmouth College, and graduated there in 1879. He then attended the University of New York one year, graduating there in-1880. Previous to graduating he became an interne in the BrooklynCityHospital, remaining there one year. He then spent six months at the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital, and cause to Dayton in the spring of 1881, entering (page 531) into partnership with Dr. John Davis, April 1, 1881, and remaining in partnership with him until his death, June 10, 1883.
In 1884, Dr. Goodhue formed a partnership with Dr. S. H. Davis, which continued in force two years, and since 1886 he has been in practice alone. He is engaged in the general practice, and in addition gives considerable attention to diseases of the eye. He is surgeon for the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad Company, for the Dayton & Michigan Railroad Company, for the .Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad Company, and for-the Dayton, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad Company. John S. Beck, M. D., was born near Lancaster, Ohio, May 19, 1842. He attended CapitalUniversity, Columbus, Ohio, until within a few months of the time when he would have graduated had he remained, but desiring to enlist in the volunteer army of the United States, he left school without graduating and served as a private soldier until the spring of 1865, when he was commissioned first lieutenant. After the close of the war he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. P. M. Wagenhals, at Lancaster, and afterward attended lectures in the medical. department of the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, graduating there in 1868. He then went to Miamisburg and practiced medicine at that place until December, 1870, when he came to Dayton, and has been engaged here in the practice of his profession ever since, alone, except for nearly five years, from the beginning of 1872 to 1876, when lie was in partner ship with Dr. A. Geiger. He has been a member of the board of United States pension examiners since 1872; is a member of the staff of physicians at St.ElizabethHospital; is a member of both the county and State medical societies, and was a delegate to the Ninth International Medical Congress.
Alexander E. Jenner, M. D., was born January 26, 1830, in Philadelphia. He studied medicine with his father, and attended OberlinCollege for some time. He attended a course of lectures at Western ReserveCollege, Cleveland, Ohio, in 1850-1851, and then practiced medicine at Crestline, Ohio, until 1873, after having attended Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York. He was appointed assistant surgeon of the twenty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and shortly afterward, surgeon of the Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war. lie served as surgeon of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad for eleven years, and he was appointed superintendent of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, but felt compelled to resign. at the end of a few months, on account of political jealousies. He came to Dayton in 1874, and has been in the practice of his profession here ever since.
(page 532) James M. Weaver, M. D., was born in Decatur County, Indiana, April 1, 1838. After leaving the common schools he was educated at MonroeAcademy, at Monroe, Butler County, Ohio. He then studied medicine at Wooster, Ohio, in 1858, and graduated from the medical department of the Western ReserveCollege, at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1861. In April of that year lie located at Jackson, Wayne County, Ohio, and practiced medicine there until 1862, when he entered-the army of the United States as assistant surgeon of the Ninety-third Regiment of Ohio Volunteers, and was promoted to surgeon of that regiment in 1864. He remained in the service until the close of the war, part of the time with the regiment and part of the time in charge of hospitals. In September, 1865, he located at Wooster, Ohio, and was there engaged in the practice of medicine until 1874, when he was appointed surgeon of the Central Branch, National Soldiers' Home, serving in that capacity until November, 1880, since which time he has resided and practiced medicine in Dayton, and has served as health officer since June, 1886. John J. Mcllhenny, M. D., was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania, September 24, 1813. He commenced the study of medicine at the age of twenty, at Georgetown, Brown County, Ohio. He then attended medical lectures at Cincinnati, and began the practice of medicine in BrownCounty in the spring ' of 1836. In 1843, he became an alumnus of the WilloughbyUniversity, near Cleveland, now the StarlingMedicalCollege, Columbus, Ohio. In May, 1855, he located in Dayton, Ohio, which place has since been his residence. In May, 1856, he was appointed superintendent and physician of the Dayton asylum for the insane, retaining the position six years. For three years subsequently he was connected professionally with the United States Navy, as surgeon of the Mississippi Squadron. He then returned to Dayton where he has since been engaged in the active practice of his profession. He was one of the originators of the OhioMedicalCollege. He is still engaged in practice, having associated with him his son, Julius L. Mcllhenney.
E. Pilate, M. D., was born in Paris in 1804, where he also received his medical education. In 1835, he came to the United States, and practiced medicine in Texas and in Louisiana, until. the breaking out of the civil war, and for a year or two during the war. In 1866, he came to Dayton, and has been engaged here in the practice of medicine ever since. He has occupied the position of city physician, and of consulting physician of the St.ElizabethHospital, in which he performed the first operation performed therein. He is a member of the Montgomery County Medical Society, and enjoys a large practice.
P. N. Adams, M. D., was born in Lewis County, Kentucky, June 22, (page 533) 1852. He was educated at CenterCollege, Danville, Kentucky, and then studied medicine with Dr. Richard Gundry, superintendent of the Athens, Ohio, asylum for the insane. He graduated at the StarlingMedicalCollege, Columbus, Ohio, in 1878, and was immediately afterward appointed assistant physician at the Dayton asylum for the insane, serving there four and a half years. He then entered upon the regular practice in Dayton. In 1885, he was appointed United States examining surgeon for pensions, holding the place until the spring of 1889. He is at present a member of the medical staff at St.ElizabethHospital, and is police surgeon of the city of Dayton, and has a large practice.
Calvin Pollock, M. D., was born December 3, 1843, at Leesville, Carroll County, Ohio. He was educated at Geneva Hall, LoganCounty, where he was in attendance six or seven years. In 1860, he commenced the study of medicine at BelleCenter, LoganCounty, with M. D. Wilson, M. D., and then attended a course of lectures at the University of Michigan in 1865-1866, and graduated at the Long IslandCollegeHospital in Brooklyn, in 1867. He began the practice of medicine at Donnelsville, Clarke County, Ohio, the same year, and remained there until 1880, when he removed to Muncie, Indiana, and remained there until October, 1883, when he- came to Dayton, and was engaged in the general practice of medicine until June 18, 1888, since when he has been physician and superintendent of the Dayton asylum for the insane. For some time previous he was one of the visiting physicians at St.ElizabethHospital. While lie was in ClarkeCounty he was president of the Clarke County Medical Society for 1875-1876. While he resided in Indiana he was a member of the Delaware County Medical Society, and also of the Indiana State Medical Society, and since coming back to Ohio in 1883 he has been a member of the Montgomery County Medical Society, but has not yet become a member of the Ohio State Medical Society, although before removing to Indiana he was a member of that organization.
Henry K. Steele, M. D., was born in Dayton, April 1, 1825. He was graduated from CenterCollege, Danville, Kentucky, and received the degree of A. M. from the same institution. In 1848, he graduated from the medical department of the University of New York. He commenced the practice of medicine in Dayton with his father, John Steele, M. D., and served as surgeon of the Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry from September, 1861, to November, 1864. He moved to Denver, Colorado, in 1871, where he had a large practice. He was president and dean of the medical department of the University of Denver from its organization until his retirement from practice in 1887. (page 534) In 1875, he was president of the Colorado State Medical Society. He is now temporarily residing in Dayton.
A. H. Iddings, M. D., was born at Pleasant hill, Miami County, Ohio, January 1, 1840. At the age of eighteen he graduated from the Friends' Academy, a local literary institution. He pursued the study of medicine while working on his father's farm, and in the winter of 1860 he attended a course of lectures at the Cincinnati College of Medicine, and soon afterward located in the practice of his profession at FortJefferson, Darke County, Ohio. He then took a course in Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, and graduated there in 1866. After practicing five years in Arcanum, DarkeCounty, he removed to Dayton, where he has been engaged in the uninterrupted practice of his profession for the past eighteen years.
The Montgomery County Medical Society was organized September 15, 1849. Following are the names of the charter members: Drs. II. G. Carey, Joshua Clements, Oliver Crook, John B. Craighead, John Davis, Elias Garst, Michael .Garst, Job Haines, Edmund Smith; Edwin Smith, H. K. Steele, John Steele, Julius S. Taylor, D. B. Vail Tuy], and H. Van Tuyl. The first officers of the society were Dr. Edwin Smith, president; Dr. Michael Garst, vice-president; Dr. Edmund Smith,'secretary; Dr. D. B. Van Tuyl, treasurer; and Drs. Elias Garst, H. K. Steele, H. Van Tuyl, H. G. Carey, and Oliver Crook, censors.
The meetings of the society were for some time held in the Dayton Council Chamber and afterward at the houses of the members of the society, but at length they were transferred to the parlors of the various hotels. During recent years the meetings have been held in the parlors of the Young Men's Christian Association building.
The objects of this society are the improvement of its members in scientific and professional knowledge, association for the purposes of mutual recognition and fellowship, the promotion of the character, interests, and honor of the fraternity by maintaining union and harmony, and the elevation of the standard of medical education. Any regular graduate of medicine and surgery, from any accredited. medical college, may become a member of the society after a residence of one year in the county, an exception being made, however, in favor of the officers of the National Soldiers' Home and of the Southern Ohio Asylum for the Insane. A two-thirds vote is necessary either to receive a member or to expel one. "The Code of Ethics of the American Medical Association" is the guide for members of this society in their intercourse with patients, irregular practitioners, and with their medical brethren. At each meeting one essayist and an alternate are appointed to (page 535) entertain their brethren at the next meeting, the regular meetings being held on the first Friday of each month. Elections are held annually in January, but inasmuch as the records of the society, in which are its proceedings previous to 1881, have been either lost or mislaid, it is impossible to present a list of its officers prior to that date. Since then, however, these officers have been as follows:
PRESIDENTS.-1881, Thomas L. Neal; 1882, J. S. Beck; 1884, W. J. Conklin; 1885, W. J. Conklin; 1886, H. S. Jewett; 1888, E. C. Crum; 1889, F. H. Patton.
VICE-PRESIDENTS.-1881, J. M. Weaver; 1882, A. H. Iddings; 1883, W. J. Conklin; 1884, E. C. Crum; 1885, S. G. Stewart; 1886, A. Boone; 1887, P. N. Adams; 1888, A. Boone; 1889, D. C. Lichliter.
SECRETARIES.-1881, J. B. Shank; 1882, W. J. Conklin; 1883, D. C. Litchliter, 1884, D. W. Greene; .1885, J. A. Romspert; 1886, G. B. Evans; 1888, G. C. Meyers; 1889, H. O. Collins.
TREASURERS.-1881, J. S. Beck; 1882, W. J. Conklin; 1883, H. S. Jewett; 1884, H. S. Jewett; 1885, H. S. Jewett; 1886, J. M. Weaver; 1887, J. M. Weaver; 1888, D. L. Lichliter; 1889, J. S. Beck.
CENSORS.-1881, J. C. Reeve, John Davis, and W. J. Conklin; 1882, J. M. Weaver, J. C. Reeve, and T. L. Neal; 1883, J. C. Reeve, J. M. Weaver, and T. L. Neal; 1884, J. C. Reeve, J. M. Weaver, and T. L. Neal; 1885, J. S. Beck, C. H. Humphries, and J. M. Weaver; 1886, J. C. Reeve, W. J. Conklin, and J. S. Beck; 1887, J. C. Reeve, W. J. Conklin, and J. S. Beck; 1888, W. J. Conklin, J. S. Beck, and P. N. Adams.
In 1881, there were thirty-four members. At the present time there are the following members: P. N. Adams, J. S. Beck, A. Boone, Lee Corbin, W. J. Conklin, E. C. Crum, George B. Evans, 0. E. Francis, A. H. Gable, George Goodhue, D. W. Greene, C. H. Humphries, A. H. Iddings, E. Jennings, H. S. Jewett, D. C. Lichliter, G. C. Myers, E. Pilate, J. C. Reeve, J. A. Romspert, Samuel Souders, J. M. Weaver, I. B. Wilson, R. R. Pettit, C. W. King, J. S. Harper, C. Pollock, A. Scheibenzuber, J. A. Roseberrry, C. H. Von Klein, V. M. Bailey, F. H. Patton, R. H. Grube, J. C. Reeve, Jr., H. O. Collins, E. C. Davisson, A. R. Moist, J. Y. Eagan, H. Sneve, and Richard Grundy.
The first homeopathic physician to locate in Dayton is believed to have been Dr. A. Adams, in 1841. The next was Dr. Henry Wigand, who came in 1847, and remained until 1858, when he sold out his practice to Dr. W. Webster, and left Dayton for three years and returned in 1861. He again practiced in Dayton five or six years, when he died of some affection of the heart. Dr. Jacob Bosler, after a practice of twenty-five years as a regular physician, became a convert to homeopathy in 1849, (page 536) and followed that system of practice the rest of his life. Dr. Webster was the next homeopathist to locate in Dayton, and a brief sketch is here appended.
William Webster, M. D., was born in Butler County, Ohio, January 12, 1827. He attended the MonroeAcademy, and then the OhioWesleyanUniversity, at Delaware, Ohio, during the years 1845 and 1846.
He then attended the Farmer's College, near Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in 1848. Having read allopathic medicine during his last year at college, he entered the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati. In the spring of 1849, the cholera epidemic spread in this country, and Dr. Webster opened an office for the practice of medicine in Middletown, Ohio, at once entering upon an active and busy practice. The following fall he closed his office, and returned to the medical college to complete his medical course. During his last term of attendance, the faculty employed
Dr. Storm Rosa, of Painesville, Ohio, to deliver a winter's course of lectures on homeopathy, a new theory of medicine at that time, the result being the conversion of nearly all. the class and faculty to the new system of medicine. Dr. Webster returned to Middletown in the spring of 1850, and reentered upon the practice of medicine, adhering to allopathy, however, for one or two years, experimenting and investigating the subject of homeopathy at the same time until 1854, when he adopted the new system entirely. He has adhered to it ever since. He removed to Dayton, Ohio, in 1858, where he still resides, engaged in the practice of medicine according to the principles of Hahnemanu. Ten years since, he associated with himself his son, Dr. Frank Webster, a graduate of PulteMedicalCollege, Cincinnati, Ohio. For the past twenty years Dr. Webster has devoted his attention mainly to gynecological and orifcial surgery and chronic diseases in general, including the successful removal of cancers. He is a charter member of the Montgomery County Homeopathic Medical Society, is a member of the Ohio Homeopathic Medical Society, and has been an active member of the American Institute of Homeopathy since 1865.
Joseph E. Lowes, M. D., received his early education at the common schools in Canada, and afterward at the high school at Brantford, Canada, graduating at the latter school when he was fourteen years old. He then studied one year with an eminent Irish teacher, named Moore, and at the age of sixteen commenced reading medicine with Professor H. C. Allen, a resident of Brantford, Canada, but at the same time a professor in the HomeopathicMedicalCollege, at Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Lowes was in attendance at this college three successive winters, reading medicine during the intervening summers at Brantford, with Professor (page 537) Allen. In 1868, he graduated from the college at Cleveland, and almost immediately commenced the practice of medicine in Dayton, Ohio, in partnership with Dr. Bosler, the second homeopathic physician to practice in this city. Dr. Bosler died a few mouths afterward, and since then Dr. Lowes has continued in practice here alone. He has always been successful, and as a consequence has had all extensive practice. His only public positions as a physician have been that of physician at the Dayton workhouse, to which position he was chosen in September, 1888, and that of United States pension examiner, to which he was appointed in the spring of 1889.
F. W. Thomas, M. D., was born in Watertown, New York, December 25, 1846. He graduated from the Philadelphia high school in 1864, and then went into the drug business. After a short time he began attendance upon the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, graduating in 1868. He then attended the PhiladelphiaHomeopathicCollege, graduating therefrom in 1871. He next went to Albany, New York, and had charge for one year of the AlbanyCityHospital, and came to Dayton in October, 1872, where he has been ever since engaged in the practice of his profession. He was a member of the board of health for one term, from 1880 to 1882, inclusive.
William H. Grundy, M. D., homeopathic physician of Dayton, was born at Maysville, Kentucky, in 1854. His father was the Rev. Dr. R. Grundy, of Cincinnati, and his mother was a daughter of James Kemper, also of Cincinnati. From 1854 to 1865 the Rev. Dr. Grundy had charge of churches in Maysville, Kentucky, Memphis, Tennessee, and Cincinnati, Ohio. On his death in 1865 his widow, Mrs. E. S. Grundy, moved to Dayton with her family, subsequently removing to Hanover, New Hampshire. It was at this place that William 1I. Grundy began his preparations for college under the tutorship of Professor John Lord, of DartmouthCollege, and the Rev. Lemuel S. Hastings. At the end of one year he went to Princeton, New Jersey, and studied a year under the Rev. James O'Brien and graduated with honor at Princeton in 1875.. Immediately afterward he entered upon his medical studies at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, and Long IslandHospitalCollege, Brooklyn. After successfully practicing medicine and surgery in Ellis County, Texas, for some time, Dr. Grundy returned to Dayton, where he formed a partnership with Dr. Egry, which lasted until the summer of 1881, when Dr. Egry went to Europe and Dr. Grundy took charge of the entire practice of the firm. This practice, which was quite large, he retained until the time of his death, which occurred on Tuesday, February 12, 1889. He was a member of several secret and beneficial (page 538) organizations, notably the Knights of Pythias and Masonic lodges. The funeral of Dr. Grundy took place at Spring Grove Cemetery, near Cincinnati, on Friday, February 15, 1889, the Rev. Prentiss de Veuve,' of the First Presbyterian Church of Dayton, officiating. Resolutions of respect were adopted by Iola, Lodge Number 83, Knights of Pythias, and by the homeopathic physicians of the city.
The Montgomery County Homeopathic Medical Association was organized June 14, 1860. A call had been issued a short time previous by Drs. J. Bosler, William Webster, and E. W. Bosler, of Dayton, Ohio, for the homeopathic physicians of this section of the State to assemble in Dayton for the purpose of organizing such an association for the good of the cause, and for the mutual benefit of all physicians who might take all interest in the sane. The following physicians answered the call by their attendance upon the meeting: Drs. J. and E. W. Bosler, W. Webster, and George Dick, of Dayton, Dr. W. A. Scott, of Eaton, Ohio, and Dr. M. Appleby, of Hamilton, Ohio. Dr. J. Bosler was made chairman of the meeting, and Dr. E. W. Bosler, secretary. It was then resolved to name the new association the Miami Homeopathic Medical Association, and following officers were elected: Dr. W. A. Scott, president; Dr. M. Appleby, vice-president; Dr. George Dick, recording and corresponding secretary, and Dr. William Webster, treasurer. Dr. A. U. Blair, and Dr. Star, of Columbus, Ohio, were made honorary members. The next meeting of the association was held December 13, 1860. At this meeting a constitution and by-laws were adopted, and the association permanently organized by the election of the following officers: President, J. Bosler; vice-president, M. Appleby; secretary, George Dick; treasurer, W. Webster; censors, W. A. Scott, E. W. Bosler, and J. J. Antrim. For sonic time the meetings of the association were held at various places, as at Hamilton, Middletown, and Glendale, but for a great number of years they have been held iii Dayton. There are two meetings each year, one in May and the other in November, the latter, at which the officers of the association are always elected, being called, by way of distinction, the annual meeting. At the meeting held in Dayton, on the fifth of November, 1868, the name of the association was changed from that first adopted to what it is now, the Montgomery County Homeopathie Medical Association. This step was rendered necessary by an act of the legislature which required physicians to have been in practice twenty years, to be graduates of some medical college, or to have membership in the State or some county medical society. The Miami Homeopathic Medical Association being a district association could not, under this law, grant certificates to physicians, and hence it resolved to convert itself into (page 539) a county society. This step was taken and the name changed as just narrated, and the association was thus enabled to issue certificates to non-graduates, or to such physicians as had not been in practice twenty years. Elegantly engraved certificates were provided, for which each applicant paid to the association ten dollars. The certificates were procured by Drs. Webster and Coffeen, and Dr. G. W. Smith procured a seal for the association. Dr. William Webster was authorized to procure a charter for the association, which was incorporated in November, 1871.
The officers of the association, since those elected in 1860, have been as follows:
PRESIDENTS-J. M. Parks, 1861; J. Bosler, 1862; A. Shepherd, 1863; William Webster, 1864; J. Bosler, 1865 and 1866; J. M. Parks, 1867; A. Shepherd, 1868; J. Dever, 1869; W. D. Linn, 1870; J. M. Parks, 1871; J. B. Owens, 1872 and 1873; J. E. Lowes, 1874 and 1875; F. S. Foster, 1876; J. M. Miller, 1877 and 1878; William Webster, 1879 and 1880; A. Shepherd, 1881; H. M. Logee, 1882; C. F. Ginn, 1883; W. H. Grundy, 1884 and 1885; J. C. Fahnestock, 1886 and 1887; C. R. Coffeen, 1888.
VICE-PRESIDENTS-William Webster, 1861; J. M. Parks, 1862; J. Bosler, 1863; A. Shepherd, 1864; John Coe Fall, 1865; J. Dever, 1866; J. W. Vance, 1867; J. Q. A. Coffeen, 1868; W. D. Linn, 1869; A. Shepherd, 1870; C. W. Stumm, 1871; J. E. Lowes, 1872 and 1873; S. L. Stewart, 1874; F. S. Foster, 1875; J. M. Miller, 1876; W. Egry, 1877 and 1878; J. W. Clemmer, 1879 and 1880; J. E. Lowes, 1881; H. E. Beebe, 1882; W. H. Grundy, 1883; T. S. Turner, 1884 and 1885; T. E. Reed, 1886; A. S. B. Nellis, 1887; A. A. Lovett, 1888.
SECRETARIES-George Dick, 1861; William Webster, 1862 and 1863; D. E. Taylor, 1864; G. W. Smith, 1865; William Webster, 186.6 to 1873; F. W. Thomas, 1874 and 1875; A. C. Rickey, 1876; J. K. Webster, 1877 to 1882; Frank Webster, 1883 to the present time.
TREASURERS-T. E. Clark, 1861; George Dick, 1862 and 1863; J. M. Parks, 1864 and 1865; J. Emmons, 1866; W. D. Linn, 1867 and 1868; J. Q. A. Coffeen, 1869 to 1872; W. D. Linn, 1873; W. W. Wolf, 1874 to 1886; William Webster, 1887 and 1888.
CENSORS.-T. E. Clark, J. B. Owens, and E. W. Bosler, 186.1; S. L. Stewart, J. B. Owens, and T. E. Clark, 1862; J. M. Parks, D. E. Taylor, and T. E. Clark, 1863; C. Cropper, George Dick, and S. L. Stewart, 1864; W. D. Linn, A. Shepherd, and William Webster, 1865; H. Wigand, F. A. Sanborne, and A. Shepherd, 1866; G. W. Smith, I. Dever, and W. W. Wolf, x.867; J. E. Lowes, S. L. Yourtee, and Isaiah Dever, 1868; J. E. Lowes, F. S. Foster, and J, B. Omens, 1869; J. E. Lowes, A. Shepherd, (page 540) and J. Al. Parks, 1870; A. 0. Longstreet, B. F. Lukens, and G. W. Smith; 1871 ; A. Shepherd, F. W. Thomas, and it. Spooner, 1872; F. W. Thomas, C. W. Stuniui, and J. Geiger, 1573; C. W. Stumai, J. Geiger, and A. C. Itickey, 1874; J. M. Parks, William Webster, and W. Egry, 1875; William Webster, J. Geiger, and F. W. Thomas, 1876; William Webster, Mrs. E. A. Nobles, and H. E. Beebe, 1877; W. A. Shappee, H. E. Beebe, and J. M. Parks, 1878; W. Egry, W. A. Shappee, and B. S. Hunt, 1879 and 1880; A. C. Rickey, G. W. Smith, and H. E. Beebe, 1881; E. P. Allen, C. F. Ginn, and J. B. Owens, 1882; J. C. Fahnestock, J. D. Harris, and T. S. Turner, 1883; W. A. Shappee, J. E. Lowes, and C. R. Cofleen, 1884 and 1885; H. E. Beebe, A. S. Rosenberger, and Madge Dickson, 1886; W. A. Shappee, C. R. Colleen, and C. 0. Munns, 1887; H. E. Beebe, C. O. Munns, and C. F. Ginn, 1888.
Following is a list of the names of the members of the society at the present time: C. R. Coffeen, A. Shepherd, J. M. Parks, William Webster, Elias Webster, G. W. Smith, C. F. Ginn, C. E. Walton, W. E. Duel, T. E. Reed, W. A. Shappee, E. W. Robertson, A. S. B. Nellis, C. O. Munns, M. M. Eaton, H. E. Beebe, J. W. Means, J. C. Fahnestock, W. A. Cook, Frank Webster, Charles Cropper, J. Emmons, J. E. Lowes, F. W. Thomas, M. W. Byrkitt, J. Dillon, Harris, A. A. Lovett, G. W. Mool'e, M. P. Aunt, R. B. Hous, I. B. Wilson, C. A. Pauly, W. A. Cook, C. G. McDermont, J. K. Webster, Madge Dickson; William Owens, E. T. Allen, W. Egry, Abraham Laser, Mrs. E. A. Nobles, Kate C. Cobham, J. J. Antrim, and F. D. Bitteuger.
The Mad River Dental Society was organized in 1855 or 1856, at the office of Dr. William A. Pease. Its early history is not easily accessible, but it held a meeting July 3, 1860, in the office of Dr. William A. Pease. The members present at the meeting were as follows: A. A. Blount, and J. Ramsey, of Springfield; George Watt, and G. L. Payne, of Xenia; J. G. Palmer, J. G. Pose, and E. M. See, of Urbana; S. Clippinger, of Bellefontaine, George F. Foote, of Cincinnati, and C. Bradley, J. E. Jones, and William A. Pease, of Dayton.
The subjects discussed at this meeting were as follows: First, certain points in mechanical dentistry; second, diseases accompanying deep seated caries, and third, the cure of ulcerated teeth. The last topic elicited the most interest at this meeting, the members being very enthusiastic as to resources in possession of the profession, by means of which they said ulcerated teeth could be permanently cured in two or three days.
In February, 1861, an important subject occupied time minds of the dental profession of Dayton. It was this; " Who are Dentists ? " The (page 541) question was treated at some length by Dr. William A. Pease in the public prints. After presenting a brief history of dentistry, he proceeded to divide those who operated on the teeth, into two classes, viz.: mechanics and dentists. Very different systems, he said, might be expected from the two classes. From the dentists one might, expect the preservation of the teeth, as they based their practice on the knowledge of the laws of the human system, and would refuse to extract a tooth merely because it ached, or because there was a soreness about the gums. Or in case they did consent to extract the tooth in such a case, it was reluctantly, at the request or command of the sufferer who refused to undergo the treatment necessary to its preservation. The mechanics, on the other hand, having little more than mechanical skill and dexterity, conscious of their inability to preserve an aching tooth, persistently advised the sufferer to have it extracted, or if not that, directly, they talked so disparagingly of the process of "plugging," as it was then called, as to induce the patient to demand the extraction of the tooth, on the principle that dead men and extracted teeth tell no tales. The patient of the true dentist saved his teeth, and with them his ability to masticate his food, and thus preserve his health, while the patient of the mechanic secured a shining set of white teeth which could be readily seen to be artificial, and with them imperfect mastication and consequent imperfect nourishment, an offensive breath, sunken mouth, protruding nose, compressed lips, wrinkled and shriveled cheeks, unnaturally prominent, cheek bones and an appearance of premature age.
About the same time Dr. Pease issued a warning to dentists as to the use of a certain substance or compound for filling the teeth. This material was variously called artificial bone, artificial dentine, etc., and was composed of zinc paint, chloride of zinc, together with a little borax, quartz, or other material. It was a very strong and active compound. If a little of it touched the gurus or lips, it would cauterize the spot touched in an instant. The writer said, however, that the dentists of Dayton had never done more than to experiment a little with it, and as soon as they ascertained the true nature of the compound they ceased to use it in their practice.
This society continued its regular meetings until 1887, when it was suffered to lapse into a state of inactivity; but measures are now being taken to revive it and its usefulness. All matters pertaining to the progress of the profession were the subjects of discussion at its meetings, but it is a question with some as to whether much material progress has been made in the methods of filling, or in the ability of the profession to save ulcerated teeth. No materials have been found to take the places (page 542) of gold and amalgam, and it is still out of the power of dentists to save some ulcerated teeth. With reference to the materials of which to manufacture plates for artificial teeth, celluloid has been found unsuited to the requirements and gold is to some degree objectionable. Aluminum has not yet been brought under perfect subjection, but on account of its many superior qualities, viz., lightness, strength, fusibility at a comparatively low temperature, flexibility, non-corrosiveness, and other peculiar qualities, it is looked forward to as the " metal of the future," in this as in most other departments of the arts and manufactures. Probably the first dentist in Dayton was Dr. A. Knisely, who, in 1831, advertised that he tendered his services to the ladies and gentlemen of Dayton in the several branches of dental surgery. He proposed to insert natural or artificial teeth with such permanency and so naturally as to escape detection. He could cure all cases of scurvy of the teeth, preserve those which were decaying, extract decayed teeth and remaining roots with care and safety. He said that the benefits of filling teeth were so truly important that it was impossible to recommend it too highly, but it was generally delayed so long that decay could not be effectually stopped; whereas, if the filling were performed at the commencement of decay, or before the nerve was exposed, the teeth would be preserved not for a short time only, but for the period of a long life. This advertisement would seem to indicate that the filling of teeth was something new to this locality, at least, otherwise its advantages would not have had to be so strenuously insisted upon.
Dr. G. A. Frydinger, surgeon dentist, came to Dayton early in 1833. In an advertisement in the newspapers he tendered his professional services to the citizens of Dayton and vicinity. He said that he inserted incorruptible teeth, the utility of which was incomparable on account of their neatness, cleanliness, and durability. So far as they had been used, they continued to claim superiority over every other kind of artificial teeth. He substantiated this statement by the following extract from a certificate from the Medical Society of Philadelphia:
"Ivory, the tibiae, and the teeth of oxen, the teeth of the hippopotamus, and even the human teeth, when transplanted, are all subject to putrefaction. They contract, besides, communicating disease to the gum and the adjoining teeth, and thus impart to the mouth the most offensive and scorbutic appearance. The saliva becomes impregnated with unwholesome matter issued from the decayed teeth and gums, which, being carried to the stomach, frequently produces the most unmanageable dyspepsia.
"These teeth combined among others the following properties: (page 543)
"1. They are unalterable by heat.
"2. Neither alkalies nor acids produce the least impression upon them.
"3. The material of which they are composed, being indestructible, the injurious efects resulting from those in common use are thus avoided.
"4. They can be made of ally shape or color to correspond with the adjoining teeth.
“5. They are less expensive on account of their great durability."
The names of the committee signing this certificate were as follows: Thomas Harris, Samuel Jackson, and C. D. Dregs.
Dr. Williams advertised as a resident dentist April 17, 1838. Dr. John Jones was probably the next dentist that came to the city, and he was the teacher of some who have since become dentists, and are now in practice here. He came early in the forties. Dr. Bashaw came soon afterward. Dr. William A. Pease came in 1847, has been in practice ever since, and has written very largely for medical journals. Dr. C. Bradley came in 1849 and is still in practice practiced here a long time. Dr. A. S. Tolbert came early, and was shortly followed by his brother. Dr. T. R. Willard came in 1850, Dr. Satterthwait in 1859, Dr. C. H. Leaman in 1865, Dr. Comptton and Dr. E. Sample in 1866, and Dr. Whiteside in 1875.
Dayton has been twice visited by the cholera, the first time in 1833 and the second time in 1849. The first death from this disease in 1833 was that of Elijah Crist, which occurred June 25th. Just outside the city there was one death before that of Mr. Crist, at Howard's factory on the Rubicon, above Patterson's farm. The disorder continued until the latter part of September, and the whole number of deaths from the disease during its prevalence here that season was thirty-three. Among those who died from it were Aaron Casad, Robert L. Hagan, Jeremiah Tritt, Barnhart Speck, Daniel Stutsman, John Munday, J. N. Fasnacht, Mrs. Perry, Mrs. Baker, Mrs. Simms, Mrs. Huntington, Mrs. Munday, and several children.
The epidemic of 1849 was much more virulent. The first death this year occurred May 18th, and was that of William Munday. He was nineteen years of age and resided at the corner of Sixth and Jefferson streets. He was confined to his bed but twelve hours. He had just returned from Cincinnati, where the cholera was then epidemic. On the same day that this young man died, there was an old man attacked in Frenchtown who, however, recovered, there were no other cases, and up to the 24th of the month there were no other cases, and the general health of the city was good. (page 544) The citizens were cautioned against intemperate habits and methods of life, intemperance usually, if not always, being conducive to the spread of epidemics. On Jane 11th, John J. Pearson, a merchant of Lockport, ShelbyCounty, visited Dayton with his wife and put up at Kline's tavern. On Wednesday, the 13th, lie started home, but died of cholera before daylight next morning. William Hill, a blacksmith living on Eaton pike, stopped at the same tavern on Wednesday, the 13th, and died on the 15th of the month. George W. Snyder died on the 16th, as did also a young marl who was hostler at the Kline Hotel. Up to this time there had been no case of cholera in the city except those which were in some way connected with this hotel. This was looked upon as being extremely singular. At that time all the boarders had left except Mr. and Mrs. Marshall, and they left on the 17th. Mr. and Mrs. Kline also vacated the premises, with the intention of closing the hotel until such time as it should be thought safe to again open it to the public. Mrs. Marshall died at the Engine House on the 19th. This made seven deaths among those who had been inmates of the Kline House, and there had so far been no fatal cases except among those which had originated there.
It would require more space than it is deemed practicable to spare in this connection to give a detailed account from day to day of the deaths that occurred here during the epidemic, but the numbers that died on each day, so far as could be conveniently ascertained, are presented below. The disease became epidemic on the 13th of June, and on that day there was one death, that of J. A. Kline, who lived on Second Street, west of Main. On the 15th there were two deaths, those of John Spohn, who lived on Main Street, and of John Willey, who lived near the corner of Main and South. On the 19th there were five deaths, those of Absalom Kaylor, Elizabeth Marshall, Peter II. Gravatt, Mrs. Krause, and Mrs. Turner. On the 20th there were 3 deaths; on the 21st, 3; on the 22d, 2; on the 23d, 1; 24th, 7; 25th, 5; 26th, 2; 27th, 6; 28th, 6; 29th, 4; 30th, 4; July 1st, 11; 2d, 8; 3d, 12; 4th, 8; 5th, 7; 6th, 5; 7th, 5; 8th, 4; 9th, 3; 10th, 6; 11th, 5; 12th, 8; 13th, 4; 16th, 7; 17th, 7; 18th, 3; 19th, 6; 20th, 5; 21st, 5; 22d, 6; 23d, 5; 24th, 6; 25th, 3; 26th, 3; 27th, 1; 28th, 4; 29th, none; 30th, 1; 31st, 2; August 2d, 1; 3d, 2;, 4th, 4; 5th, 1; 6th, 2; 7th, 2; 8th, 1; 13th, 1.
Thus there were at least 216 persons who fell victims to the cholera that year in Dayton, and probably a few more, the record of whose deaths was not discovered by the compiler. As is well known, the epidemic was general and severe throughout the country that year, insomuch that the president of the United States issued a proclamation recommending that the first Friday in August be observed as a day of humiliation and prayer by the people. In accord (page 545) with this proclamation of the president, the mayor of Dayton, the Hon. John Howard, on the 27th of July, issued a proclamation to the people of Dayton, in which he said that in view of the presence of a fearful pestilence, which, under the providence of God, was in the land, he recommended that on the day set apart by the president of the United States, the people generally close their houses of business, and observe the day in a becoming manner.
A "recommendation" was published next day, signed by nine of the ministers of the churches, in which they said:
"WHEREAS, It has pleased Almighty God in his sovereignty, to afflict our beloved country by sending the pestilence among us, whereby many of our fellow-citizens have been suddenly removed into eternity; and,
"WHEREAS, The epidemic is still lingering in the midst of us, and is severely visiting other parts of the land; and,
"WHEREAS, We believe it to be both the duty and the privilege of a Christian people to acknowledge in a public manner the just providence of God in this visitation, to humble themselves before him, to confess their sins, and to unitedly deprecate his wrath, and implore his mercy in the removal of this dreadful scourge; and,
"WHEREAS, The president of the United States has set apart the first Friday in August as a day of fasting, humiliation, and prayer; therefore,
"Resolved, That we do earnestly request our several congregations to suspend all public and private business on that day and meet in their several places of public worship at A. M." As will be seen by the death rate published above, the epidemic gradually disappeared in the beginning of August, and on the 16th of the month the board of health resolved that in their opinion the cholera had ceased to be epidemic in the city. This resolution was immediately published, signed by George B. Holt, president, aI}d M. G. Williams, secretary of the board. By the middle of the month almost all traces of the disease had disappeared, the health of the populace was daily improving and few deaths were occurring. Business was reviving, and the people in the country were no longer afraid to visit the city. Thus passed away the second visitation of this dread scourge.