Literature, Music, and Art-Early Writers-J. W. Van Cleve-W. D. Howells-Maskel E. Curwen-W. D. Bickham-Isaac Strohm-Gertrude Strohm-Hon. G. W. Houk -Mrs. G. W. Houk-Mrs. L. B. Lair-Miss Mary D. Steele-Mrs. Charlotte Reeve Conover-Miss Leila A. Thomas-Samuel C. Wilson-Rev. M. P. Gaddis-Rev. J. W. Hott, D. D.-Professor A. W. Drury, D.D.-Bishop J. Weaver, D. D.-Rev. E. S. Lorenz, A. M.-Rev. M. R. Drury, A. M.-Rev. L. Davis, D. D.-Rev. W. J. Shady-Rev. D. K. Flickinger, D. D.-John Lawrence-Rev. I). Berger, D. D.-Professor J. P. Landis,D. D., Ph. D.-Mrs. Isadore S. Bash-E. L. Shuey, A. M.-Rev. D. H. French, D. D.-.Rev. E. Herbruck, Ph. D.-Dr. J. C. Reeve-Dr. W. J. Conklin-Edward B. Grimes-Dr. C. H. Von Klein-Robert W. Steele-Pearl V. Collins-Dayton Literary Union-Woman's Literary Club-Early Musical History -Music Teachers-Vocalists-Instrumentalists--Composers-Philharmonic Society-Harmonia Society-Y. M. C. A. Orchestra-Other Societies-Charles Soule, Sr.-.Mrs. Clara Soule Medlar-Mrs. Octavia Soule Gottschall--Charles Soule, Jr.-Edmond Edmondson-John Insco Williams-Mrs. Williams-Mrs. Eva BestT. Buchanan Read-Mrs. Mary Forrer Peirce-Miss H. Sophia Loury- Mrs. Elizabeth Rogers-Effie A. Rogers-Miss Laura C. Birge-Hugo B. Froehlich-Harvey J. King-The Decorative Art Society-Otto B:ck-Miss Mary Burrowes -The Misses Edgar-Valentine H. Swartz-Early Architecture-Daniel Waymire -Joseph Peters-Recent Architecture-Leon Beaver-Peters and Burns-Charles L. Williams.
ONE of the first literary celebrities of Dayton was John Whitten Van Cleve. At an early age he exhibited marked proficiency in the classics, and was equally remarkable for his proficiency in the acquisition of a knowledge of mathematics. In 1828, he purchased an interest in
the Dayton Journal, and assumed editorial control of the paper. This position he retained six years, at the same time contributing to other papers and magazines. During the memorable presidential campaign of 1840, he contributed a series of caricatures to the Loy Cabin, the caricatures being drawn and engraved by himself. A brief sketch of this paper may be found elsewhere in this volume. The caricatures made the paper famous throughout the United States. Mr. Van Cleve was an active member of various societies, literary, scientific, etc. He was one of the founders of the Dayton Library Association He was very fond of the study of botany and geology, and is known as an authority in many of the leading botanical and geological works. He was a superior linguist, thoroughly understanding both the French and German languages. He translated from the German the first volume of "Goldfuss," and Schiller's "Robbers," besides numerous comedies and fairy tales. He compiled and had lithographed a map of the city of Dayton in 1839, (page 547) and in 1846 he compiled a map in book form for the city. He died of consumption September 6, 1858, at the age of fifty-seven years. William D. Howells was also connected with the early literary history of Dayton. He was born at Martin's Ferry, Ohio, and was a son of an active country editor. He learned to set type in his father's office. After the inauguration of President Tyler, in 1849, his father sold the Hamilton Intelligencer and purchased the Dayton Transcript. The proprietor and his sons labored faithfully and hard to build up the paper, but the load was too heavy for them. But in the hour of disaster the family pluck was unshaken. "We all went down to the Miami River, and went in swimming" says Howells.* (* From The Story of Ohio, by Alexander Black.)
Maskell E. Curwen was a Dayton writer of merit, his principal work being a "History of Dayton." This is a small volume of sixty-four pages, two editions of which were published-one in July, 1849, and the other in August, 1850, the publisher being James Odell, Jr., of Dayton. Although written in great haste, it is in many respects a valuable work as it is a well written one. It is now out of print. It contains a brief outline of Indian history, the names of the earliest settlers of Dayton, together with a brief account of each, a description of the first town plat, topography of the city in 1799, when there were but nine log cabins on the present town site, habits and customs of the early inhabitants, the growth of the city from time to time, the first incorporation of the town, its first newspapers, the War of 1812, the great flood of 1847, several tabular statements, statistics, etc.
Another work of rare merit is "Rosecrans' Campaign with the Fourteenth Army Corps," by W. D. Bickham, volunteer aid-de-camp on Rosecrans' staff with rank of major, who was one of the best army correspondents connected with any portion of the Union army, and who is now editor of the Dayton Journal. The work commences with the removal of General Buell and the accession of Rosencrans to command of what was at that time was “The Army of Ohio,” but which was immediately changed by Rosencrans to the “fourteenth Army Corps,” and subsequently was changed to the “Army of the Cumberland.” It goes into details sufficiently to present a vivid portraiture of the men under Rosencrans and a striking portrayal of the battles in which they were engaged. It is written in very picturesque language and treats quite as fully as could be desired the perfidy of Southern ladies in their dealings with the officers of the Union army, of those who were still in favor of the “Union as it was,” and of every phase and variety of army life. (page 548) Rosecraus' preference for youngsters on his staff and elsewhere where prompt and efficient action was an essential to success, the correspondence between the rebel General Bragg and General Rosecrans regarding the uses to which a flag of truce had been put up by soldiers in the command of the former general, and with reference to the exchange of prisoners of war, including General Bragg's violation of the cartel, are clearly presented, as are also the movements preceding, during, and subsequent to the battle of Stone River. Taken altogether, the little work is a valuable contribution to the- literature of the war.
Isaac Strohm was prominently identified with the literature of Dayton, his chief work, if not his only one, being entitled "Speeches of Thomas Corwin, with a Sketch of His Life." It was published in 1859, by W. F. Comly & Company, of Dayton. The sketch, though brief, is interesting and the work contains qll of the speeches of Mr. Corwin from that against corporal punishment, delivered in the general assembly of Ohio, December 18, 1822, upon the bill to introduce public whipping as a punishment for petty larceny, to that on " Current Political Issues," delivered at Ironton, Ohio, August 19, 1859. This collection contains, of course, Mr. Corwin's great speech on "The Mexican War," delivered February 11, 1847, in the Senate of the United States. It was this speech that dgcided Mr. Corwin's fate as a public man. The book is now out of print, but is very valuable.
Miss Gertrude Strohm, daughter of Isaac Strohm, has compiled the following books: "Word Pictures," published by D. Lothrop & Company, 1875; "Universal Cookery Book," White, Stokes & Allen, 1887; and "Flower Idyls," Estes & Lauriat, 1887; and the following miscellaneous works: "Scripture Exercises for Use in Sunday-school Concerts," United Brethren Publishing House; "Scripture Reward Cards," by New York firms; and "Social Games for Home Amusement," of which three were published by Milton, Bradley & Company, one in Boston, and one in New York City.
The Hon. George W. Houk has attained distinction through his literary labors and acquirements, as well as in his profession, the law. His literary labors, however, have been performed mainly for the sake of diversion and the pleasure derived therefrom, rather than for sake of gain or fame, and what he has achieved in this kind of labor has not been done at the expense or to the neglect of the legal profession. He has faithfully studied the English classics and the best current English literature. Some of Mr. Houk's more noted productions are, "An Address on Religion and Science," delivered at the Music Hall, Dayton, before the Young Men's Christian Association, in March, 1875, in which (page 549) he shows that, inasmuch as religion and science occupy altogether different fields of thought, they are therefore not in conflict; an address delivered on the occasion of the celebration of the centennial of the birth of Humboldt; an address delivered in Dayton, in September, 1887, on the occasion of the celebration of the centennial of the adoption of the Constitution of the United States; and an address delivered in Dayton, April 30, 1889, on the celebration of the inauguration of George Washington as first president of the United States. Besides these, Mr. Houk has contributed frequently to the newspapers and other periodicals as occasion demanded or seemed to render adviseable.
The following extract from "Au Address on Religion and Science," shows its spirit and tone as well perhaps as any that could be selected:
"Before passing, then, ladies and gentlemen, from this Mosaic account, let me present this brief summary: It professed upon its delivery to be a revelation from God. It assigns to light an existence anterior to that of all other created forces. It describes the progressive development of organic life which scientific discovery has substantially verified. Although it is now asserted to be of but moderate antiquity, it was announced some fifteen hundred years before the rise of Greek philosophy with Thales, who was the first to attempt a logical solution of material phenomena, and to account for the beginning of things. It was already an ancient record when the arms of the Macedonians diffused over Egypt and Asia the language and learning of Greece, and when the Ptolemies gait eras at Alexandria the wisdom and culture of the ancient world. survived the rise and fall of systems of philosophy as it has of States, empires, and phases of civilization. It was held sacred and preserved as divine truth through the two thousand years before the birth of Christ, during which Tyre and Sidon, Nineveh, Babylon, and Palmyra rose, flourished, and fell. It is now, and has been for nineteen centuries, accepted in accordance with its assumption of inspiration, as a portion of the Divine revelation, embodied in a theological system, which characterizes the civilization of the most enlightened portions of the human family. It yet remains the most widely known, conspicuous, and influential legend ever given to the world. It has beamed, lo! these many thousand years, with the steady effulgence of a Zodiac in the firmament of human thought. And what standard of comparison can we find among the illustrious of our race for that capacious brain in which Divine inspiration generated conceptions that embraced a vision of40 the origination and development, countless ages, of all the forms eternity, and even Deity itself seemed familiar. Well might the master sculptor of the modern world take for the model of his colossal (page 550) Moses that form which Phidias, the sculptor of the gods, gave to Olympian Jove himself ! "
Mrs. George W. Houk (nee Eliza P. Thruston) was born in Dayton, October 23, 1833. Her father, Robert A. Thruston, who died in 1839, was one of the most brilliant and promising young members of the original Dayton bar, and her mother was Marianna Phillips, daughter of Horatio
G. Phillips, deceased, and now the wife of Colonel John G. Lowe. Mrs. Houk graduated at Cooper Female Seminary in 1851. Early in her married life she developed a decided fondness for systematic and extensive reading, the fruit of which has been a number of literary productions of varied character and decided merit. Only two of these productions have found their -way into print-the first a poem entitled, "Puritan," in seven cantos, embracing two hundred and forty-fve stanzas, in the Spencerian verse, a measure but little used in modern times, owing to the extreme difficulties it imposes upon the composer. 11 Puritan "is accurately historical in character, and typifies the brave, earnest spirit of Puritanism, its religious fervor and love of liberty, in the person of the hero of the poem. The character of this poem, of which a small edition was published some years ago by Robert Clarke & Company, of Cincinnati, may be well judged by the following stanzas in the opening portion of the first canto, entitled " The Voyage":
What quivering craft braves ocean's stormy deep?
What daring will bears on in such a gale?
The boreal winds, fierce, unobstructed sweep,
The autumnal clouds drop low and darkly veil
The pointed mast's damp cords and tattered sail;
There thro' o'erwhelming wave appears the bow
In racking trough, a feather were less trail;
The upper works rise torn to fragments now
Yet onward course she holds, with bold unwavering prow.
He leans against the creaking mast and feels
The ocean's pure in every trembling beam;
The wind holds him fast bound, and now reveals
Beneath his long dark pilgrim's gown, the gleam
Of sword and corselet; and his eye doth seem
To pierce thro' mists and clouds, and view beyond
The land of hope and promise; for no dream
The precious words that he but now bath conned;
Tho' wet, wind-torn, each page forbids him to despond.
The incidents of the voyage of the Mayflower, the hopes and aspirations of its devoted, heroic band are related through the rest of the canto which closes with this splendid stanza: (page 551)
A day and night upon that rock-bound coast !
Another morning 'round that yearned-for land !
A headland bold, and narrow, for the most
Dense wooded to the shore, nigh such a strand,
The vast and furious ocean passed, doth stand
The knight, brave, proud, inspired to lead the van
Of hosts that dared to follow his command,
And in the light of faith unfold a plan
Conceived nor carried out by mortal man
Needs it proclaim this daring hero-PURITAN.
The second canto recounts all the "celebrated voyages," from that of the bold Argonauts under the lead of Jason, in search of the Golden Fleece, down through that of Menelaus, Ulysses, Aneas, Seleucus, Alexander Magnus, Patrocles, Onesecritus, and Solomon in ancient times, to the time of the chivalrous King Arthur, the era of Portuguese, Italian, and Spanish discovery, Columbus, DaGama, the Cabots, Magellan, and the rest, closing with this happy reference to the first circumnavigation of the globe by 11 Successful Cano:
"-Bold Magellan sought
To compass this great earth ; he onward pressed
Thro' his famed fret, in middest ocean brought
To untimely end, by savage imps untaught.
Successful Cano, bearing westwardly
That unsought glory through great suffering found;
His monarch proud that all the world might see,
Wrote " Primus omnium circumdedisti me,"
Upon his shield; and set the globe beneath ;
A vaunting emblem, highest boast of fame.
The third canto is "The Landing;" the fourth a "Retrospect," being a sort of historical review of the rise and progress of Puritanism; the fifth is the " Settlement" and contains thirty-four stanzas; the sixth is entitled "Labors in England," and exhibits more than any other in the poem stateliness of versification and dramatic power. The seventh and last canto records in thirty-nine stanzas the achievement of the "Final Success" of this onerous enterprise.
"This work of human hands-by dauntless will
Encouraged and directed, fills the world
With wonder; far-of nations gazing still,
To mark how Puritanic race has hurled
The gauntlet of achievement, and unfurled
Its standard, Liberty, with power and pride!
Where human progress all the past has purled,
Here an advancing flood-deep, swift and wide
What can withstand the power of the willful tide? "
(page 552) The other production of Mrs. Houk, to which allusion has been made as having found its way into print, is an essay of a purely scientific
nature, which was read at Portland, Maine, before the American Association for the Advancement of Science, at its annual meeting in August, 1873. It was written in. demonstration of the theory first propounded by Mrs. Houk, of the gradual diminution of the water upon the surface of the earth, and its slow, but continuous conversion into permanent solid forms.
The argument which is closely logical and well sustained throughout the five distinct chapters of the essay, is as follows;
1. The decrease of water surface. 2. Transformation of terrestrial matter. 3. Chemical and geological changes. 4. Water changed into solid forms by acidification, alimentation and respiration. 5. Change in species, and in human history and development.
This remarkable and most interesting paper concludes with the following paragraph, which may be regarded as a fair specimen of its style.
“The thought of the gradual diminution of water, the most wonderful, glorious, beautifying and gladdening of all terrestrial substances, can but be painful to us, constituted as we are. But the same Almighty and Omniscient Power that has continuously controlled and molded the adaptations of the physical universe to the perceptions and welfare of sentient beings, opening to us even in our own short lives new and unconceived-of scenes of pleasure, with the development of our physical, intellectual and spiritual faculties, will doubtless continue to preserve between the living races of his creatures and external and physical conditions, that perfect adaptation that has always existed and that seems to be an endless and progressive amelioration.
That matter has thus developed through countless ages, under his own immutable laws, with faultless precision, in the vastest operations of the stupendous universe, and unerring perfection in the minutest details of everything, is one of the most glorious proof's of his wisdom and oninipoteiice. And we cannot doubt that this revelation will become more and more glorious even to the far distant future foretold eighteen hundred years ago by the beloved disciple, who saw a new heaven and a new earth; and there was no more sea.”** (**Revelation 21:1)
Besides these published works, Mrs. Houk has finished, in manuscript, a poem in the same style and stanza of "Puritan," entitled, " Virginius," as widely different, however, as the Virginians were different in history and antecedents from the Puritans. It is far more voluminous, (page 553) eighteen cantos, and six hundred and seventy-four stanzas, making a volume of two hundred and twenty-five pages. She has also produced two five-act dramas (both yet in manuscript, but finished some years ago) of the time of the Reformation-one entitled, "Martin Luther," and the other, "The Three Lovers." In addition to these, she has written and completed two unpublished love stories-one entitled, "Aemil and Elea", the other, "The Lamarks; or, Marriageable Women."
"' Virginius" is an allegorical history in verse, after the manner of the "Faerie Queen," and in the same stanza, extending from the time of Sir Humphrey Gilbert's first patent in 1578, to 1619-1620, when the guaranties of a written constitution gave permanence to colonial institutions. The knight, Virginius, is the embodiment of the spirit of the enterprise-at times identical with a single individual, Gilbert, Raleigh, or Smith, when the labors of the adventure seemed especially to press upon them; then, again, maintaining an individuality through changes and confusion of characters, indispensable to the unity and interest of a poem-where facts give force to rather than fetter the imagination. Another poem, somewhat similar in idea, but altogether different in measure and character of treatment, entitled "Mauritius," has been in part written by Mrs. Houk, and is intended to commemorate the colonization and settlement of New York and the spirit of commercial enterprise. It has been deemed only just in a work of this character to allude thus at length to a lady so well known for her many estimable qualities, and who has so unostentatiously performed so vast an amount of excellent literary labor.
Mrs. L. B. Lair has written sketches for the periodicals of the day, this line of writing being followed more during the war than since. She has also written some poetry, and essays on various occasions. Miss Mary D. Steele has for several years been a regular contributor to some of the best newspapers and magazines in the country, among them the New York Evangelist, the Magazine of Western History, and the Atlantic Monthly.
Mrs. Charlotte Reeve Conover is also a valued contributor to several periodicals, and Miss Leila A. Thomas has written some commendablepoetry, two of her pieces being " In Medias Res" and "Liber Fatalis," the latter written for a certain celebration at Wheaton Seminary, Norton, Massachusetts. Samuel C. Wilson's poetry is also worthy of note, a few of his poems having more than ordinary merit being “Sleep and Rest," "A Course of English Reading," and "A Lament for My Alpenstock," the latter being in a fine vein of humor.
(page 554) Rev. M. P. Gaddis was the author of a number of books, among which were "Foot-Prints of an Itinerant," "Sacred Hour," "Saintly Women and Death-Bed Triumphs," and "Last Words and Old-Time Memories."
Rev. J. W. Hott, D. D., for many years editor of the Religious Telescope, is the author of "Journeyings in the Old World; or, Europe, Palestine, and Egypt." This book is highly commended by all critics. Mr. Hott has also contributed introductions to numerous volumes of other authors.
Professor A. W. Drury, D. D., is the author of two valuable volumes-one being the "Life of Philip William Otterbein," founder of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. In this work many facts of great historic interest are presented to the public for the first time. The other work of Professor Drury is the "Life of Bishop J. J. Glossbrenner, D. D."
Bishop J. Weaver, D. D., is the author of the following works: "Discourses on the Resurrection," "Divine Providence," "Doctrine of Universal Restoration Carefully Examined," and other publications. Ile is also the editor of a volume on "Christian Doctrine; a Comprehensive Treatise on Systematic and Practical Theology," by numerous writers.
Rev. E. S. Lorenz, A. M., B. D., is one of the most prolific authors to whom Dayton can lay claim. A large number of his productions are Sunday-school music books, which are mentioned elsewhere in this chapter. His other volumes are: "Gospel Worker's Treasury," "Getting Ready for a Revival," "The Coming Revival," and "Christmas Selections." He has also contributed to the Methodist Quarterly Review and other publications.
Rev. M. R. Drury, A. M., is the author of the "Otterbein Birthday Book" and a "Hand-Book for Workers." Rev. L. Davis, D. D., has written a "Life of Bishop David Edwards, D. D."
Rev. W. J. Shuey and Rev. D. K. Flickinger, D. D., wrote "Discourses on Doctrinal and Practical Subjects," published in 1859. Mr. Shuey is the author of several pamphlets, was a contributor to the Unity Magazine, and has been for years a frequent writer for the Religious Telescope. Mr. Flickinger has written several volumes on missionary work.
John Lawrence wrote "The Slavery Question" and the "History of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ," issued in 1860.
Rev. D. Berger, D. D., the editor of Our Bible Teacher and other periodicals, has contributed to numerous publications. He has also (page 555) edited a series of Sunday-school library books, and has published a pamphlet on "The Bible in the College and Seminary."
Professor J. P. Landis, D. D., Ph. D., has been a contributor to the Old Testament Student, and to various publications of the United Brethren Publishing House.
Mrs. Isadore S. Bash wrote "Brickey Sorrel; or, the Twin Cousins, a fascinating temperance story, and was for some time an interesting special contributor to the Dayton Journal.
E. L. Shuey, A. M., is the author of a "Hand-Book of the United Brethren in Christ," and of services for special occasions.
All the above books, beginning with "Journeyings in the Old World," have been published by the United Brethren Publishing House, of this city.
Rev. Daniel H. French, D. D., has written "From Eden to Glory, or Footsteps of Mercy," published by A. D. F. Randolph & Company, New York City, 1889.
Rev. E. Herbruck, Ph. D., editor of the Christian World, is the author of "Under Eastern Skies. The Record of a Pleasant Journey Through Bible Lands," issued by the Reformed Publishing Company, of this city, 1889.
Dr. J. C. Reeve is one of the leading contributors to the medical periodicals of the day. His work has been chiefly in the line of the review of new- books, and sonic of these published in the American Journal of the Medical Sciences, Philadelphia, a periodical noted for the excellence of its review department, have attracted considerable attention. He began literary work by the translation of Flouren's "History of the Discovery of the Circulation of the Blood." He has written, no independent work. He has been called upon to contribute to several encyclopedias of medical science. He wrote the article on " Chloroform and Other Anaesthetics" for the American edition of "Holmes' Surgery," three volumes, Philadelphia. He also wrote the article, "Anaesthetics," for "Wood's Reference Book of the Medical Sciences," seven volumes, New York; the article on "Anesthetics in Labor" for' the "American System of Obstetrics," two volumes, Philadelphia, and an important chapter upon a subject relating to the diseases of women, in "Pepper's System of American Medicine," five volumes, Philadelphia.
Dr. W. J. Conklin has contributed quite largely to the literature of his profession, and has also prepared several of the leading articles for "Wood's Hand-Book of the Medical Sciences," recently issued.
(page 556) Edward B. Grimes graduated at Otterbein University in 1883, and has the distinction of having published a book before graduating. The book referred to is entitled "Poems, by Edward B. Grimes." It consists of about one hundred pages, and the entire edition was either sold or given away in a very short time after its appearance.
The most noted poems of this little volume are "The Old Lamplighter," "A Model-A Cook," and "Bother and his Castle." "The old lamp-lighter" consoles himself with the thought that by lighting lamps he is of use to a portion of his fellow-men. He says in reply to a question as to whether he does not suffer from the rain and the cold:
"Though I know my lot is lowly,
And my talents are but few ;
Yet I light the way for others,
'Tis the best that I can do."
In "A Model-A Cook," different kinds of wives are compared, or rather contrasted. One class consists of those wives who are thoroughly educated in music or the classics, to the neglect of useful things, and the other consists of the wives who can cook. All kinds of misery come to the families of the former class, while an ideal happiness is the lot of the family of the wife that can cook. It contains an excellent lesson for young women who desire a happy home after marriage.
And see as they meet at the table,
How healthy and happy they look ;
And listen, for Dan is now saying,
' My wife is a model-a cook.'
So girls, 'tis a lesson worth learning,
To know how to cook is an art
An art that will bring you a husband,
And conquer and soften his heart."
"Bother and his Castle" is the most pretentious poem in the collection. It deals rather severely with that class of people who are continually bothered with their tasks, and seldom or never take hold of their duties with a heart and a will.
"Fancy said this was a lesson,
Given to each doubting man,
Who is always calling bother,
But is never saying can.
“Weak and feeble,' whispered Fancy,
'Man at first may seem to be,
But if he will seek the zenith,
All he sought he'll surely see.
"'And his work all well completed,
Like the crimson, setting sun,
'Cross his course it will be written,
Well and bravely hast thou done.'
(page 557) Dr. Carl H. Von Klein is one of the distinguished writers of Dayton. He is the author of numerous books, pamphlets, papers, etc. The titles of his books are as follows: "Vaginal Diseases of North America," Leipsic, 1874; "American Physicians and Surgeons," Leipsic, 1875; "Hand Book for Coroners," Cincinnati, 1882; "Anatomical Osteologiw," 1883, and "Editio Emendata," 1885, both Cincinnati; "Pharmaceupolistical Lexicon," New York, 1880, second edition, 1884. Dr. Von Klein is also author of the following pamphlets and papers: "Medical Jurisprudence on Homicides," "Surgical Remarks and Practical Observations," both in German, the first published in 1878, the latter. in 1879; " Points on Medical Jurisprudence" (German), Koenigsburg, 1879; "Manual of Medical Jurisprudence," Hamilton, 1882; "Jewish Hygiene and Diet," from the "Talmud" and various other Jewish writings hitherto untranslated, Chicago, 1884; "Medical Jurisprudence in Divorce," delivered before the Ohio State Bar Association, 1885 ; "Voice in Singers," Columbus, 1885; "Rhinology of the Past and Future," 1886; " Address on Rhinology," 1888; "Unhealthy Dress of American Women," 1881; "Eruptions of the Skin, by Various Causes," 1882; "On the Utilization of Sewerage for Burning Material," 1884; "Examinations of Throat and Nose," 1888; On Medical Education," 1883. Dr. Von Klein is a regular Boston Medical and Surgical Journal, the Journal of the American Medical Association, the Cincinnati Lancet and Clinic, the Philadelphia Medical Register, the St. Louis Medical Journal, the Virginia Medical Monthly, the Sanitarium, the New England Medical Monthly, the Medico-Legal Journal, etc. Dr. Von Klein's latest work is a translation of the " Medicine of the Talmud, with Rabbinical Commentaries of Ancient and Latter Ages."
Robert W. Steele has done much literary work. He has written largely for the newspapers, and has published numerous essays on educational and horticultural subjects. Ile has also written a history of the public. schools of Dayton, of the public library, of the cemeteries in the city, and the early history of Dayton from the beginning down to 1840, the four latter topics appearing in this work.
Pearl V. Collins is another of Dayton's noted writers, his principal work being a novel, entitled "A Baton for a Heart."
The Dayton Literary Union was founded in September, 1876. It grew out of the feeling on the part of the intellectual welfare of the place, as to themselves, that the united effort of such a body would be productive of good in the way of stimulating inquiry into many subjects of literary, scientific, artistic, and (page 558) social interest. The first officers of the union were George W. Houk, president; A. D. Wilt, vice-president; A. M. Powell, secretary; George R. Young, treasurer. The union was divided into sections of ten members and upward, each section named according to the particular course of study pursued by it. At first these different sections were as follows: belles lettres, Robert W. Steele, chairman; sociological, General T. J. Wood, chairman; German, Dr. A. Scheibeuzuber, chairman; scientific, A. Humphreys, chairman; historical, L. P. Thompson, chairman. The officers for 1877-1878 were as follows: A. D. Wilt, president; J. A. Robert, vice-president; John H. Thomas, secretary; A. J. Hiller, treasurer. By this time the number of sections had been increased by the addition of a French section and an art section, thus making seven sections to the union. The chairmen of the first three were the same as the year before; Dr. H. S. Jewett was chairman of the science section, and the other three sections were without chairmen.
The Union had an apartment in the Winters' Block, Number 118 East Third Street. Meetings of each section were held once in two weeks, and the work was so systematically arranged that each member of the various sections was enabled to take part in the proceedings according to his capacity and inclination. It was found difficult, however, to keep up the interest equally in the various sections, and the result has been that first one and then another section dropped o$; until at the present time only the belles lettres section is in existence. Those who have been most prominently identified with the work of the Union are Professor J. A. Robert, E. M. Thresher, and John Hancock. The Woman's Literary Club, of Dayton, Ohio, was organized in April, 1889. This club is divided into the following sections: General literature, history, art, and miscellaneous. The meetings of the club are held each alternate Thursday from ten to twelve A. M., except during the summer months, from the first week in June to the first week in October. Members are distinguished as close-working and non-close-working members, the former paying one dollar per year as a fee and the latter f ive dollars. The first and present officers of the club are as follows:
Mrs. J. A. Marlay, president; Mrs. E. R. Stilwell, vice-president; Miss Mary Reeve, recording secretary; Miss Anna Rogers, corresponding secretary; Miss Martha Perrine, treasurer; Miss Electra C. Doren, critic; executive board, Mrs. W. D. Bickham, Mrs. Harry Lytle, and Miss Florence Gebhart; Mrs. Frank Conover, chairman of the general literature section; Mrs. J. B. Thresher, chairman of art section; Mrs. A. D. Wilt, chairman of history section, and Miss Carrie Brown, chairman of miscellaneous section. The programme committee is as follows: Mrs. J. (page 559) A. Marlay, Mrs. Frank Conover, Mrs. J. B. Thresher, Miss Carrie Brown, and Mrs. A. D. Wilt.
The first musical society in Dayton was organized in 1823 and called the Pleyel Society. John W. Van Cleve, who had great talent for music and could play on a great variety of instruments, was elected president. In 1836, the Dayton Philharmonic Society for the study of sacred music was formed. Stephen Fry was the teacher and C. Hayden secretary. This society gave several concerts in the churches for the benefit of the poor of the city.
In 1840, the vocal and instrumental societies of Dayton, with L. Huesman as conductor, gave a series of concerts, which were very popular.
Mr. Louis Huesman was organist, pianist, and teacher in Dayton fifty years ago. He was of the stately German musical scholarship, and his taste might be voted slow in this sensational age, but he helped to lay the strong foundations which have made the larger musical growth of to-day possible.
In the special line of instrumental teaching, Mr. linesman was followed by Charles Rolfe, Charles Rex, Adolph Carpe, and W. L. Blumenschein. The music in the public schools has been at different times in the care of Charles Soehner, James Turpin, W. B. Hall, W. H. Clarke, and F. C. Mayer.
The leading teachers of vocal music have been James Turpin, Leon Jasciewiez, H. B. Turpin, and W. L. Blumenschein.
George W. Pearson was for many years a leading teacher of the violin. Mr. Deunewitz, J. D. Brunner, Lucius Cook, Paul Habenicht, and G. H. Marsteller, have since been prominent various orchestral instruments.
The prominent vocalists have been Clara Turpin, Mrs. S. W. Davies, Kate Wagoner, Mrs. J. A. Jordan, Mrs. E. J. Kneisley, Agnes Stout, Ella Brusman, Mrs. W. N. Hunter, Belle Ralston, Lydia Stout, Mrs. A. B. Shauck, soprano; Mrs. James Turpin, Mrs. P. H. Gunekel, Emma Mercer, Fannie Favorite, Mollie Spindler, Anna V. Zeller, contralto; J. F. Boyer, Park Willard, W. It. Boyer, John N. Bell, S. F. Phelps, H. H. Bimm, S. E. Kumler, W. J. Baltzell, tenors; W. L. Bates, W. J. Comly, William Burkitt, John L. Burkitt, Philip Melilburger, George Hessler, H. B. Turpin, Judge J. A. Shauck, basses and baritones.
James Turpin, John Zundel, Charles Rex, N. Metz, John A. Schenck, Joseph Schenck, A. Ebel, A. T. Wittich, W. F. Gale, C. II. Lyon, S. B. Hurlburt, Robert Ayers, James A. Robert, Howard Peirce, and W. L. Blumenschein have had prominence as church organists.
(page 560) The leading piano players now are Howard Peirce, Mrs. E. J. Kneisly, Mrs. James Anderton, Nannie Williams, Theodore Scheerer, Thomas Icheler, F. L. Eyer, and W. L. Blumenschein. John Lytle, Dr. L. E. Custer, and Frederick Kette, performers upon various instruments, are worthy of special notice.
In the special department of musical composition, Mr. Blumenschein and W. J. Baltzell have achieved a high reputation and success. Mr. F. C. Mayer has published a book for the use of pupils. Rev. W. H. Lanthurn was the editor of 11 Hymns for the Sanctuary and Social Worship," a fine collection of standard hymns for church services, issued by the United Brethren Publishing House in 1874. He was also the composer of numerous hymns appearing in this and other publications, and joint author with Rev. E. S. Lorenz, of 11 Praise Offering," published its 1876. Rev. E. S. Lorenz, A. M., has been a prolific writer and editor of church and Sunday-school music. He has written much of the music for, and edited in whole or in part, "Praise Offering," "Songs of the Cross," Pilger Lieder," " Heavenly Carols," " Songs of Grace," "Gates of Praise," Songs of Cheer," 11 Songs of the Kingdom," 11 Holy Voices," " Songs of Refreshing," " Notes of Victory," " Notes of Triumph," " Garnered Sheaves," " Missionary Songs," " Songs of the Morning," and numerous services for special occasions, all of which, with one exception, have been published by the United Brethren Publishing House, since 1876. The Dayton Philharmonic Society was organized in the fall of 1874, the principal projectors of the movement being the following gentlemen : J. A. Shauck, John N. Bell, James Breneman, John L. Burkitt, H. V. Lytle, C. F. Snyder, and James A. Martin. Mr. W. C. Herron was the first president, and Leon, Jasciewiez the first musical director. The frst few seasons the society met in the building north of the courthouse, known as the Journal building. Later on in its history meetings were held in the Young Men's Christian Association Hall, and for the past few years at Huston Hall, on the corner of Third and Jefferson streets. The musical directors have been Mr. Jasciewiez, above mentioned, who served two seasons; Otto Singer, of Cincinnati, who also served two seasons, and W. L. Blumenschein, who has been director for eleven successive years. The chorus has kept up a steady grade of membership, with a yearly average of nearly one hundred members. In all, up to the close of the season of 1888-1889, fifty-three concerts have been given, covering a large range of choral and orchestral works, prominent among the former being the "Messiah," "Creation," "Elijah.," "Last Judgment," "Judas Maccabeus," "Hymn of Praise," "Atbalie," "Crusaders," "Fair Ellen," "Feast of Adonis," “Erl King's Daughter," and many shorter works.
(page 561) The solo parts to many of these works have been sung by local singers, and singers of known reputation from other cities have also been heard. Many fine instrumental performances have been brought here to aid in the concerts also. It is a matter of sincere congratulation that a local society can have achieved so decided an historical success. Usually such organizations fall a victim to local jealousies, lack of enthusiasm, or meager financial support, but the Dayton Philharmonic Society has always weathered such storms, thanks to a wise policy on the part of its officers and the tact of its present director.
Mr. A. B. Shauck is the present presiding officer, with W. B. Sullivan, W. J. Kuhns, E. L. Bone, S. E. Kumler, and other well-known gentlemen as his coadjutors.
The Harmonia Society was formed of a consolidation of the Sociale Saeugerbund and Frohsiun, which was effected November 1, 1861, and the name Harmonia adopted. The first officers were: President, Daniel Leonhard; vice-president, Dr. Palm; treasurer, John Stoppleman; first secretary, George Hoffman; second secretary, A. Froendhoff. The articles of incorporation set forth as the objects of the society, the cultivation of literature and science, and the performance of musical dramatic productions. In September, 1882, the third saegerfest of the Central Ohio Saenger Bezish held his city, under the auspices of the Harmonia.
During its existence, operas and operettes have been produced by the society, as "Stradelle," "Haifisch,"”« Mordgundbruck," "Social Democrat," Schiller's "Lay of the Bell," etc.
At present the society numbers two hundred members, and consists of two sections-musical and dramatic. Officers: President, G. C. Kellner; vice-president, Bruno Williams; recording and corresponding secretary, Emil Reichert; financial secretary, Angelo Mosbrugger; treasurer, Henry Hollencamp; musical director, Theodore Scheerer. Beckel Hall, on Jefferson Street, has been the headquarters of the society since its organization. Singing rehearsals are held every Wednesday evening.
The Young Men's Christian Association Orchestra was organized in 1886 under the leadership of G. H. Marsteller. Mr. Marsteller was succeeded by John Lytle, W. J. Baltzell, and J. C. Eberhardt. Mr. Eberhardt re-organized the orchestra in the fall of 1887. It utilizes amateur talent, and has at present a membership of fourteen, giving a full instrumentation. A string quartette has been organized out of he orchestra. Prominent among its musicians are J. C. Eberhardt, leader; Pearl Sigler, 'cello; Harry Rock, flute; John Lytle, cornet; Dr. L. E. (page 562) Custer, viola, and Dr. Horace Hubbard, second violin. The orchestra meets once a week in the Young Men's Christian Association Hall. Its work is of a high order, and its numerous public appearances at the Young Men's Christian Association entertainments and elsewhere have won for it the admiration of the public.
There are other musical societies in the city, among which are the Dayton Maennerchor and the Schwaebischer Saengerbund.
Charles Soule, Sr., one of Dayton's most distinguished painters, was born at Freeport, Maine, September 2, 1809. When he was two years old his parents died, and he was taken by an uncle, J. T. Moore, who lived at Chillicothe, Ohio, and who, being a mail of taste and genius, became quite noted as an artist. There are many of his portraits in this and other Ohio cities.' Charles Soule would often amuse himself with the use of Mr. Moore's pencil and brush on the sly, drawing and painting whatever he saw about him, and being often severely punished therefor. At the age of seventeen years he ran away from his uncle and came to Dayton. Here lie worked at carriage and sign painting, and whatever be could find to do, utilizing his spare moments in practicing with pencil and brush. He began painting portraits for pastime, and soon his singular power attracted attention. By the advice of Mr. Dolley, by whom he was employed in painting carriages, he turned his attention exclusively to the painting of portraits, his first works being those of William Dolley and Tunis Conover, both of which are still in existence in this city. These works were so meritorious that he was soon crowded with orders. In 1836 or 1837, after a brief' interval of inattention to his profession, he again resumed it, and painted portraits of several prominent people in Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, and other western cities. From 1836 to 1843 he filled many orders from St. Louis. About 1857 he went to New York and New Jersey, and attracted much attention in those States, among those noticing him being Charles Elliott, who took frequent occasion to speak of Mr. Soule's wonderful power. Mr. Soule returned to the West and spent several years in Cleveland, painting portraits of numerous prominent people there. His skill in his profession consisted in his rare ability to paint people at their best, giving to the picture a peculiar spirituelle expression seldom seen even in the works of the greatest artists. Artists of far greater fame envied his success in his peculiar line, and sought instruction from him, but his faculty could not be inculcated or communicated to others. Among his best known portraits are those of T. J. S. Smith and wife, Dayton; Jonathan Harshman and wife, Dr. Clements and wife, Samuel Brown and wife, Valentine Winters and wife, Mr. Pruden and wife, Henry Stoddard and family, Dr. (563) Edwin Smith and family, J. W. Harries and family, Simon Gebhart and family, C. Herchelrode and family, T. S. Babbitt and family, William Huffman, Major-General Wood, John G. Lowe and wife, Hon. S. P. Chase, and numerous others.
Mrs. Clara Soule Medlar, daughter of Charles Soule, began painting portraits at Dayton. She spent considerable time at Lebanon, painting the portraits of the families of Mr. Corwin and Judge Dunlevy, and afterward went to Cincinnati and opened a studio, where she did a great deal of work, remaining there several years. She then went to Harper's Ferry, Cleveland, Lexington, Kentucky, and afterward returned to Dayton, where she was married and remained for many years. She now lives near New York and still wields her brush with the same enthusiasm and success as in former years.
Mrs. Octavia Soule Gottschall, another daughter of Charles Soule, is also an artist. She has had great success in painting in water colors and on porcelain, and has done much in copying and enlarging oil paintings. Of late years she has devoted much time to investigation into the m ysteries of pigments in mineral colors, and takes great pleasure in the transformations of clay by heat, glazing, etc., taking the rude clay, fashioning it to suit her fancy, burning it herself, etc. She also paints flowers, fruits, animals, etc., and does excellent work in painting portraits of children.
Charles Soule, Jr., son of Charles Soule, Sr., is also an artist of much merit. He began carriage painting and ornamenting before he commenced painting portraits. Among the most noted of his portraits are those of Dr. James Bosler and wife, Thomas Clegg, William Huffman, Silas Simpson, Colonel Sr., Ziba Crawford, David Stout, J. T. Achey, Frank Taylor, of Portsmouth, and many at Ripley, Pomeroy, and Point Pleasant, Ohio, Maysville, Kentucky, and other places.
Among the prominent artists of Dayton in an early day was Edmond Edmondson. He was born in Dayton of Quaker parentage. While he was of great excellence as an artist, he was of such a retiring disposition that, his merits were not appreciated at their true value. He was self-taught and first attracted attention by his faithful studies in still life. His first vegetable and fruit pieces were in such demand as soon to enable him to treble his prices. He was an honest painter and did not work to secure a fictitious reputation. In later years he turned his attention to portrait painting and met with admirable success. One of his best portraits is of President Garfield which hangs in Odd Fellows' Hall in Dayton. He went to California for the benefit of his health and there died. John Insco Williams, one of Dayton's most celebrated painters, was (page 564) born May 3, 1813. At the age of fifteen he was apprenticed to an uncle, who was a house and carriage painter, at Richmond, Indiana. Young Williams soon began to think that this kind of art was not suited to his genius, and ran away from his uncle, walking the entire distance to Miamisburg. There he worked at anything he could find to do, for twenty-five cents per day, until he had managed to save up money enough to pay his way to Philadelphia, where he attended an art school. He remained three years, painting all day and studying in perspective and anatomy at night. Here he formed the acquaintance of the eminent artist, Thomas Sully, and at the present time General Cadwallader has two paintings, one by Sully and one by Williams, either of which he values equally with the other.
About this time the first panorama that had ever been heard of made its appearance, being of an American river. Mr. Williams immediately conceived the idea of painting a panorama of Bible history, as that, he thought, was an exceedingly rich field for such a work. His painting represented sacred history from the creation to the fall of Babylon. This panorama was exhibited in Dayton from about May 30 to June 6, 1849, at the Jefferson Street Baptist Church, at the corner of Jefferson and Fourth streets. It had previously been exhibited at Cincinnati, and the exhibition at Dayton was accompanied with lectures on the various scenes represented, by the Rev. Mr. Chase, of that city. In 1850, this panorama was destroyed by fire in Independence Hall, Philadelphia.
He then went to Cincinnati, and commenced another panorama on a larger scale, the latter one covering four thousand yards of canvas. His success with this panorama was something wonderful. He exhibited it in all parts of the United States, but found the most appreciation of his work in the Southern States. This panorama was afterward spoiled by a flood in Baltimore, which washed off nearly all the paint. Mr. Williams then came to Dayton and repainted it, and again exhibited it; and, after his death in 1870, it was destroyed by fire. Besides this great work, Mr. Williams painted a large number of portraits, and was a most noted painter in this line. A few of his finest pictures only can be named. Among them were the "Magdalen Repentant," the "Hiding of Moses," and " 0garita." The latter represents an Indian girl in "The Sea of Ice." Mr. Williams' fame rests mainly on his portraits, which were in great demand.
Mr. Williams' wife was also a distinguished painter, she having painted a remarkable ideal picture called "Bleeding Kansas," representing that territory in the coils of the serpent, slavery. His children are also especially gifted in different lines of art. His eldest daughter, (page 565) Eva Best, is a story writer, poet, music composer, dramatist, and painter. She commenced writing for the papers in 1871, encouraged so to do by W. D. Bickham, of the Dayton Journal. In 1872 she began contributing to the Cincinnati Saturday Night, and afterward for the Cincinnati Times-Star, under the nom de plume of "Saturn." She then wrote for Godey's Magazine, for T. S. Arthur's Home Magazine, for Peterson's Magazine, and for Frank Leslie's Magazine. Still later she became a contributor to the Detroit Free Press, and for Kellogg's newspaper syndicate. Mrs. Best writes a great deal in dialect. The dramas she has written are named "An American Princess," "Sands of Egypt," "Gemini," and "The Banshee," the latter an Irish play. One of Mrs. Best's peculiar advantages in the writing of stories is her ability to sketch such illustrations as she may require to elucidate her thoughts, and in her dramatic work she composes both the songs and the music with which her dramas are interspersed. She often paints landscapes, f lower pieces, and fruits, and is also extremely apt and original in the art of designing.
Another daughter of Mr. Williams is Mrs. Lulu Williams Buchanan, of Sioux City, Iowa, who was formerly of Dayton. At the exposition at New Orleans, in 1885, she had on exhibition, by request, a flower picture, as a representative of Iowa art, which was awarded one of the eleven bronze medals given to the ladies of the United States, for such work.
T. Buchanan Read was among the artists who have become famous, were at one time identified with Dayton. He came here in 1838 at the age of sixteen and remained a few years. He had been in the office of some sculptor in Cincinnati, but afterward determined to try his hand at painting. While in this city he began portrait painiting and a few of his early efforts are still in existence, one of them being a portrait of Adam Houk, father of D. A. Houk, George W. Houk, and another of D. W. Wheelock. Upon leaving Dayton, he went to New York and afterward to Philadelphia, and in the latter city became a valued contributor of poetry to the columns of the Philadelphia Courier and other papers. His subsequent career is matter of national fame.
Mrs. Mary Forrer Peirce, daughter of Samuel Forrer, began the study of art at the Cooper Institute, in New York, in 1860, giving attention for the most part to landscape painting. She returned to Dayton in 1861, and devoted her time to teaching in connection with the CoopeAcademy for about three years, under Mrs. Galloway, and afterwards she had classes at her own home for about four years. In 1874, she went abroad and pursued her studies here for a year, and upon her return to Dayton, she again became connected with the Cooper Academy (page 566) as teacher of art and remained in that connection until 1882, when she was married to J. H. Peirce. Since that time she has done but little in the way of teaching, having a few pupils at her own home. Her painting consists mostly of flower pictures and landscapes, in which lines she has met with more than ordinary success. She paints in water colors, oil colors, and oil china, her water colors being specially worthy of mention oil account of their superior delicacy. She has also given considerable attention to modeling in clay and to wood carving.
Miss H. Sophia Loury began the study of art with Miss Mary Forcer and afterward studied with Miss Laura Birge. She paints in both water colors and oil, and has devoted herself mostly to flowers, fruits, and game. She also does work oil china and in India ink. One of her noted pictures
is a basket of lemons, which, being left in. the rooms of the Art League in New York City, was so highly esteemed by them as a work of art that after her return hone she received a ticket of admission to the rooms of the league.
Mrs. Elizabeth Rogers commenced painting about the year 1870. She was one of the most successful painters of flower pictures ever in this country. This line of painting she followed until 1880, when Professor Broome came to Dayton, and then, under his instructions, she commenced the work of painting on china and continued it until her death in 1886.
She painted both in water colors and in oil, and devoted herself mainly to painting flowers from nature. Her work was distinguished for the beauty of its tints and the perfection of its colors, and she is spoken of by all as having had but few, if any, superiors in her specialties.
Effie A. Rogers, daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Rogers, is also identified with this city as one of its artists. She learned the painting of flower pieces from her mother and china painting from Professor Broome. She was one of the first to fire china successfully in this city. She worked in both water colors and in oil, and also did a great deal of original designing. Rebecca Rogers, another daughter of Mrs. Elizabeth Rogers, was also a Dayton artist. Her specialty was children's portraits, but she also painted flower pieces and used both water colors and oil. Miss Laura C. Birge is a native of Seneca Falls, New York. She commenced learning to draw with Miss Clara Soule, being a pupil of hers two or three years. She then went to New York City and took a course of lectures under Professor Rimmer, a celebrated artist, on the anatomy of art. She then studied in Cincinnati some time and afterward went to Europe, where she remained three years, a portion of the time in. Munich and a portion in Paris. On the continent she studied oil painting, but for a few months she was engaged in the study of water colors (page 567) in England. She returned to the United States in 1876, and has since, so far as her health would permit, been devoted to her profession. Miss Birge does not limit her efforts to any one kind of subjects, but paints all kinds, animate or inanimate. Though a resident of Dayton, her work has been mostly for Cleveland, Buffalo, and Chicago people, and she has always on hand more work than she can do.
Hugo B. Froehlich commenced the study of art under the tutorship of Valentine H. Schwartz, one of Dayton's best artists. His principal line of study has been that of portraiture. In 1884, he went to Cincinnati and studied there a few years, when he went to New York, remaining there one and one half years, in the meantime doing considerable lithograph work. In 1887, he returned to Dayton, and has been engaged here in portrait painting ever since, devoting his time mainly to crayon work, though giving some attention to oil painting, with the view of making that his leading pursuit.
Otto Beck is a young Dayton artist of much promise. He is a son of Walter C. Beck, gardener at the National Soldiers' Home, and is at present in attendance at Munich, pursuing the study of painting. In April, 1887, he received a prize for the production of an allegorical painting 'representing "Evening," and is the first American for the past eight years to be thus honored. The representation of "Santa Claus," in the Christmas number of Harper's Weekly for 1888, was his work, and he has also prepared another picture of Santa Claus for the Christmas number for 1889, which has been accepted.
Miss Mary Burrowes studied with Mrs. J. H. Peirce and Professor Broome, and is a meritorious artist. Her work is limited, from choice, to the painting of flowers and fruits, in water colors and oil. Miss Jeanne A. Edgar and Miss Isabel R. Edgar, daughters of John F. Edgar, are two of the lady artists of Ilayton. The former makes a specialty of water colors and china colors, and has devoted much time to wood carving, having taken lessons in this branch of art work of Henry L. Fry, of Cincinnati. For a panel, which is part of a mantel in her own home, she received a diploma from the committee of the Centennial in Philadelphia in 1876. She has also devoted niucli time to designing, which is all art in itself. Miss Isabel R. Edgar commenced the study of drawing with Miss Wright at the Cooper Seminary, and has since taken lessons of some of the best artists in Boston, Massachusetts, and in New York City. Of recent years she has made specialties of landscapes and portraits in water colors. Her portraits of children are specially noted for their excellence. For the past three years she has had a studio in New York City, where she has a large class and all excellent reputation as an artist.
(page 568) Valentine H. Schwarz was born in Schleswig-Holstein. He studied art in Munich, Dresden,, and other German cities, and came to the United States in 1857. He was in Cincinnati for a few years, and then came to Dayton, which, with the exception of two years spent in St. Louis, has since been his home. He excels in portrait painting, frescoing, and scenic painting. Mr. Schwarz is a versatile artist, his forte, however, being frescoing. He is an artist of great excellence in portraiture, more especially in oil. He is also an original designer, an art in which few excel.
Harvey J. King has for several years engaged in various kinds of art work. His paintings are mostly of still life-animals, birds, game, etc. Recently, however, he has been giving his attention more to the decoration of the interiors of private residences and public buildings. His work is of a high order and in excellent taste.
One of the most effectual efforts in the way of developing a love for art that was ever made in Dayton, was in 1880, when a few ladies, deeply interested in such work, organized a Decorative Art Society. Mrs. O. M. Gottschall was president of the society; Miss Mary Forrer, vice-president; Mrs. Martha Perrine, treasurer; Mrs. J. B. Thresher, recording secretary, and Miss Carrie Brown, corresponding secretary. Teachers were employed in different branches of art, and classes formed. In September of the same year they secured the services of Professor Broome, of New Jersey, a man of rare versatility as a teacher. An old-fashioned, commodious residence with extensive grounds was leased, and large classes pursued their studies in china painting, modeling in clay, light and shade, and composition both in water and oil colors. Professor Broome was a practical potter, and the society furnished hire with the kilns-one under-glaze and one over-glaze-and also all the appliances and materials for making china-ware for decorating. This “art-ware" made by Professor Broome was called "Miami pottery," and is a semi-transparent body, with a beautiful hard glaze, unsurpassed by any ware made in the West. Many flue specimens of it are in the homes of Dayton people, handsomely decorated by modeled work in relief, or artistically painted by the ladies who were pupils in the Decorative Art Society's classes. For two years Professor Broome gave excellent service to the society, but was induced to go into the pottery business on a larger scale, and therefore severed his connection with the Decorative Art Society. He took from them the lease of' the property they held and converted it into a pottery for commercial ware. For one year after Mr. Broome retired the society had classes, conducted by Miss Rebecca Rogers, in the Cooper Academy, after which they made no further effort in that line. A well (page 569) directed enthusiasm on the part of a few of the members has sustained the society through nine years, a small number meeting regularly to work together, and they have kept up an interest in art work. Several of the members have kilns for firing china at their homes and are very successful in their firing. While the Decorative Art Society did not continue long I the brilliant career of the first few years of its life, yet it is conceded that by the efforts of the society an impetus was given to the love and study of art, and a great improvement was made in the manner of studying. so that great good was accomplished for Dayton through its existence.
For several years the officers of the society have been: Miss Carrie Brown, president; Mrs. O. M. Gottschall, vice-president; Mrs. D. A. Houk, treasurer; Mrs. W. F. Gebhart, recording secretary.
The earliest architecture of the city was in keeping with the pioneer character of the times. The log cabin, constructed of hewn logs – barely sufficient to afford partial shelter to the hardy settler, - was the prevailing type. A specimen still exists in the first “courthouse” of Dayton – a two-story log cabin, standing on the southwest corner of Main Street and Monument Avenue. It has been covered with weather-boarding, and a few would now suspect that it is the oldest house in the city.
It was not many years after the fist settlement before substantially built houses began to be erected. The accumulation of wealth and the development of the resources of the community, prepared the way, in time, for the building of good houses for the many, and of what may properly be called mansions for some of the leading citizens, together with a number of notable public buildings.
Among these older buildings still standing, may be mentioned the residences of R. W. Steele, J. D. Phillips, Valentine Winters, Harvey Conover, T. S. Babbitt, and George W. Shaw; and the following public buildings: the old jail (now the city workhouse), the old courthouse, Cooper Female Seminary, the Second and Fourth District schoolhouses, and the Phillips House.
The old courthouse, on the corner of Main and Third streets, deserves special mention. Its architect was Henry Daniels, then of Cincinnati, and its superintending architect was Daniel Waymire, of this city. It was completed in 1850. An exceptionally fine reproduction of Grecian architecture, it was at the time of its erection the finest building in the State, and is still regarded as one of the notable buildings of the city.
Among the early architects was Daniel Waymire, the superintending architect of the courthouse. For many years previous to 1861, when he (page 570) was engaged to superintend work elsewhere, he was the most prominent architect in the city. The Phillips house, the residence of Valentine Winters, the Park Presbyterian Church, and many other prominent buildings of his time were the products of his design.
Joseph Peters, who came to Dayton, in 1844, and is still engaged in the construction of buildings, was his successor. He superintended the erection of Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, the First Presbyterian Church, the Third Street Presbyterian Church (all designed by non-resident architects ), and designed and built Christ Episcopal Church, Memorial Presbyterian Church, and the spires of two German Lutheran churches.
The recent architecture' presents the attractions of the more elaborate designs which are now so extensively used in all parts of the country. Attractive buildings are not confined to a single portion of the city, but may be seen here and there in almost every quarter. Elegant private residences are numerous, and old business houses and public buildings are giving place to new and well-planned blocks, which are ornaments to the city. Among the prominent public buildings of recent, or comparatively recent construction, may be mentioned: The new courthouse, the county jail, the Public Library, the Young Men's Christian Association Building, Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, First Presbyterian' Church, Third Street Presbyterian Church, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Kuhns Building, Jefferson Block Fourth National Bank Building, Firemen's Insurance Building, Eaker Block, Callahan Building, Pruden Block, Barney Building, Lafee Building, Odd Fellows' Temple, Simms Block, Huffman Block, Hollencamp Block, Central Block, Ware Block, Dover Block, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh, and Twelfth District school buildings, and Main Street Engine House. Leon Beaver was a prominent architect for about twenty years, and removed from the city only a few years ago. His principal buildings are: The new courthouse, Callahan Building, D. L Pike & Company Building, Legler, Barlow & Company Building, Pruden Block, Ninth District School, residence of C. L. Hawes, residence of Edward Canby, Emmanuel Catholic Church, and the St. Elizabeth Hospital. Luther Peters, the son of Joseph Peters, began his work in Dayton about 1870. In 1879, lie became associated with Silas P Burns, the present firm being Peters & Burns, who are the, architects of the following buildings: Dayton Public Library, Firemen's Insurance Building, Fourth National Bank Building, Kuhns Building, Barney Block, Jefferson Block, Twelfth District, Seventh District, Dayton View, and (page 571) schoolhouses, Linden Avenue Baptist Church, St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church, Central Baptist Church, Church of Christ (now being erected), engine houses, and other buildings in the city, Heidelberg College, Tiffin, Ohio, and numerous buildings in other parts of the country. For some years they have been the architects of the Central Branch of the National Soldiers' Home, and more recently of the Pacific Branch, California, and the Marion, Indiana, Branch. Charles I. Williams began business in Dayton in 1880. In 1888, the present firm of Williams, Otter & Dexter was formed. Mr. Williams' principal buildings are: The Young Men's Christian Association Building, Sacred Heart Church, Hollencamp Block, Simms Block, United Brethren Publishing House (new building), and the residences of R. I. Cummins, J. P. Wolf, W. H. Simms, C. G. Stoddard, J. Lane Reed, H. V. Lytle, I. L. Baker, and Howard Friend.
Return to "History of Dayton" Home Page