Manufacturer of the Reliable Extension Table Slide, Corner Monument Avenue and D. & M. R. R.
The enterprise conducted by Mr. C.F. Snyder in the manufacture of extension table slides was established about fifteen years ago, and it is now well known to the trade for the production of superior products in its line. The premises occupied for the business consist of a three story brick building, 50x125 feet in dimensions. A steam engine of fifty horse power is used to update the machinery and appliances, all of which is of the best character suited for the work in hand, and mucho f it has been specially designed and built for the requirements of this factory. A force of about twenty-five skilled mechanics are given employment in the various departments of the works.
Mr. Snyder is a manufacturer of what is known as the “Reliable Extension Table Slide.” The device is well known to table manufacturers and it embodies all the latest improvements in appliances of this kind, at the same time possessing a number of excellence not common to others. Devoting the entire energies of the establishment to the production of this one article, it is to place them on the market at the very lowest possible price. The wood from which they are made is grown in this locality and be brought here with but a minimum of expense, and utilizing special machinery the house is eminently in a position to compete in all points with contemporaries. The trade of the house is all over the United States, wherever the manufacture of extension tables is carried on. As illustrative of the best elements of Dayton’s manufacturing operations the above house is entitled to prominent recognition at our hands, and it is with pleasure that we accord it the courtesy of a place in these pages.
THE BUCKEYE IRON & BRASS WORKS.
Brass and Iron Founders and Machinists, 324 and 326 East Third Street.
For many years identified with the manufacturing interests and commercial development of this community, the enterprise of The Buckeye Iron & Brass Works, must not be ignored in any publication proposing to reflect the trade advantages and resources of this city. Founded away back at any early period of Dayton’s industrial history, the house commenced business not only on a much smaller scale, but in comparison with the present, a very circumscribed field for operations.
As the trade increased, however, with the growth of the demand, the resources of the establishment were augmented, and in 1876 the present joint stock company was organized and the style changed to the existing title, and since that time the house has not failed to maintain its position at the head of the trade – a pre-eminence largely attained by its uniform production of a higher class grade of goods than are usually made by competitors. To enumerate even a small part of the goods manufactured and dealt in by the company would occupy more space than we have at our disposal, and we must refer our readers to the handsome and comprehensive illustrated catalogue published by the house for minutiae we are obligated to omit.
The bulk of the operations, however, may be said to lie in the manufacture of Brass Goods for engine builders and steam fitters. A special department is devoted to the manufacture of improved and highly desirable Tobacco Cutting Machinery, Linseed Oil and Cotton Seed Oil Machinery. A large part of the goods which are the production of this company are of peculiar excellence, all the newest and most desirable inventions in these lines being immediately appropriated and applied, and many improvements in these lines are the result of their own experience, and are manufactured under patents controlled by the company.
The facilities of the house are complete in every detail, allowing the products being turned out of the best quality, promptly and at reasonable prices.
The manufacturing plant is located on East Third Street, and is of a most extensive and complete character. The main factory is a building constructed of brick, four stories high, and covering an area 50x100 feet in dimensions. The two-story machine shop is of the same magnitude, and there is also a single story foundry 100x150 feet in area. There is also extensive yard room for storing pig iron and other raw material. The machinery with which the works are supplied is of a high degree of excellence, and includes much special apparatus designed and adapted for use in manufacturing goods particular to the house. A 100 horse power engine furnishes the motive power, while a force of 225 skilled mechanics and artificers are employed in prosecuting the work in the various departments.
With so extended an experience and with such advantages, it is not surprising that a trade has been acquired embracing the entire United States, as well as European countries, while in some specialties their gods are found in almost every civilized country. The officers of the company are Chas. E. Pease, President; W. Krutzsch, Vice-President, and W.B. Anderson, Secretary, each of whom is an active participant in the business and thoroughly active in promoting, through their house, the industrial thrift of their community.
As a concern with which to do business, that of the Buckeye Iron & Brass Works occupies a position to which we can add nothing, and our readers abroad who may be concerned will certainly find their interests greatly advanced by a correspondence with this house before placing their contracts.
OREGON FLOUR MILLS.
The Kratochwill Milling Company, Manufacturers of Flour, Dayton, Ohio.
Among the leading flour mills in this State is that of The Kratochwill Milling Company, which was established by Mr. Joseph Kratochwill in the year 1864. The present company was organized in 1887.
The mill is a four-story brick and frame structure, 80x150 feet in dimensions, and there is in addition a three-story brick warehouse, 60x100 feet in area. The plant is of the best character, modern in all its appointments, comprising improved roller process machinery and other appliances which would be calculated to enhance the quality of the output and diminish the cost of production. Both water and steam power is employed to operate the equipment, the latter being derived from a steam engine of 185 horse power capacity. The mills are capable of producing six hundred barrels of flour daily, and the production, as a rule, falls but little short of the capabilities. The brands of flour by which these mills are known are Snowflake, Roller Patent and Haymaker, and these are the best quality of flour of the grades specified that can be obtained anywhere, being thoroughly reliable and honest goods, made by the best methods, and possessing all the elements of strength, color, purity, and desirability. The trade of the house largely is in the Eastern States, where the flour is well known and appreciated.
The offices of the company are Messrs. Geo. P. Huffman, President; James Kratochwill, Vice-President and Manager, and James Turpin, Secretary and Treasurer. These are all well known and prominent citizens of Dayton, requiring from us no more than passing mention. With every facility of attracting and building a large patronage, this house has done much to enhance the notoriety of this city.
S.N. BROWN & CO.
Manufacturers of Wheels, Hubs, Spokes, &c., Dayton, Ohio.
One of the oldest manufacturing establishments of Dayton, and one which has done much to give credit and honor to this important industrial center, and which through an existence of over forty years has a had career of increasing success and influence is the well known enterprise of the S.N. Brown & Co. To give a comprehensive account of this enterprise would almost be to give a history of manufacturing in Dayton. Established in 1847 by Mr. Harvey Blanchard, the business was commenced in a very small way and almost without capital. It continued, however, to advance and prosper, and in 1850 the co-partnership of Blanchard & Brown was formed, and continued until 1865, when Mr. Blanchard died. The firm of S.N. Brown & Co., was then instituted, and in 1869 the business was incorporated as a stock company, retaining, however, the original firm title. The plant comprises a five-story brick structure, 100 x 120 feet in area, in addition to a three-story wood building 100 feet square, besides other minor buildings. The works are equipped with ingenious and labor-saving machinery and appliances of the latest improved character, operated by two steam engines of 150 horse power and 50 horse power capacity respectively.
The products of the works include wheels, hubs, spokes, shafts for sulkies, road carts, buggies, barouches and other carriages, poles for vehicles of every description, carriage bows of all kinds, yokes, singletrees, side-bars and axle bed sawed to pattern, perches, sulky seats, banded hubs and banded wheels. A specialty of the house are the banded hubs, the band being made of the best quality of iron, with continuous lap-weld. In every department greatest care is exercised to turn out such products as shall hold and maintain the palm of superiority. The trade of the house extends throughout the northern sections of the United States as well as to some foreign countries, notably England and Australia. The officers of the company are Messrs. Thos. Brown, President; J.M. Phelps, Secretary and Treasurer; S.N. Brown, General Manger, and Chas. H. Brown, Superintendent. The enterprise they conduct occupies today in all respects a commanding position, and is prepared to offer its patrons all the advantages that can result from a happy combination of experience, skill, and capital.
The C.L. Haws Company, Manufacturers of Steam and Air Dried Straw Boards, and Binders’ Cloth and Tar Boards, Dayton, Ohio.
The manufacturers of paper and kindred products has for many years been identified with the history of this locality, and this important branch of industrial enterprise is strikingly represented here by the above mentioned establishment. The original date of the inception under the title of Clarke & Hawes. In 1872 Mr. Clarke withdrew from the business, and Mr. Hawes became the sole proprietor. In the year 1875 the present company was organized, the capital stock of the corporation being $300,000.
The plant is one of the most extensive and important in the city, covering altogether an area of eleven acres. Upon this plat of ground are erected fifteen buildings, each of which is utilized in some special department of the work, the whole giving employment to a large force of operatives. The motive power for operating the machinery is derived from five steam engines, which united have a capacity of seven hundred horse power. The equipment of the works includes all of the most modern and improved labor saving appliances known to the trade, no expense being spared to perfect the output. Indeed, it is safe to say that there are but few, if any, more complete establishments of the kind in the country.
The company are manufacturers of Steam and Air Dried Straw Boards, Binders’ Tar and Cloth Boards, and Friction Board. These goods are all of the very best quality made, and the improved processes here in vogue secure perfection and economy in production. The daily capacity of the mills allow of twenty-give tons of the materials being turned out, and this vast quantity is sold to the trade all over the United States. The facilities of the enterprise are such as give it manifest advantages, all of which are promptly shared with patrons, and thus the company is enabled to offer inducements, both as regards prices and quality, difficult, if possible, to be duplicated. The company also has two extensive branch stores, one at Cincinnati and the other at Chicago, managed from the main office. This establishment is among the most important in operation here, and it has contributed largely to the reputation of Dayton as a manufacturing center.
Manufacturer of Planing Machine Knives, Engine Bars and Plates for Paper Mills, Dayton View Hydraulic.
The above enterprise was founded in 1874 by Mr. A.A. Simonds. The premises occupied consist of two buildings, one of brick and the other a frame structure, which are of the dimensions of 40x100 feet and 30x105 feet respectively. The works are supplied with a full equipment of general and special machinery, the latter comprising grinding, cutting and forging appliances, operated by water power, an auxiliary steam engine of 150 horse power also being available, and about twenty skilled workmen are given employment.
The Simonds manufactures Planing Machine Knives, Engine Bars and Plates for Paper Mills, Moulding Knives, Stave Jointing Knives, Spoke Knives, Slasher Knives, Tenoning Knives, Bookbinders’ Knives, and, indeed, any kind of machine knives made to order. A specialty of the house is the Diamond Bed Plate for paper manufacturers. This is specially designed and made to aid in the production of good pulp in the shortest time and with the least use of power. Testimonials have been received by the house from the most eminent paper manufacturing firms in the country, all of whom speak in the most unqualified terms of commendation with regard to this appliance.
Briefly, this plate is the best, most economical, makes larger fibered stock in less time, and altogether gives better satisfaction than any other in the market. It is suitable for the manufacture of book, news, straw and wrapping paper equally.
The knives of all kinds made by this house may be said to represent the very acme of perfection as regards quality, fineness, temper and durability, and have no superior anywhere, either in this country or abroad. The development of this enterprise to its present important proportions has been due to the superiority and high grade of the output. The tempering processes, which have been brought to great perfection, gives to the steel a uniform and tough temper which is highly desirable. In all the departments the greatest care is exercised, and only the best quality of selected steel is used. Competent and skillful workmen are only employed, the entire operations being conducted under the immediate supervision of the proprietor, who is an experienced and practical manufacturer.
HOGLEN & CO.
Manufacturers and Dealers in Hard Wood Lumber, Office and Yards, North Webster Street.
The above enterprise dates back to the year 1848, when the business was founded by J.R. Hoglen, the present designation being adopted within the past year. The plant of the firm is of a very extensive nature, covering about three acres of ground. In addition to extensive lumber and log yards, storage sheds, etc., there is erected on the property a two-story frame saw mill which is furnished with the latest and best of machinery suited to the business, including a circular saw of the unusual dimensions of five feet in diameter. Steam power from an engine of 45 horse power capacity is used to operate the machinery, and from twenty-give to thirty workmen are given employment.
The firm are bona fide manufacturers of hard wood lumber, receiving the logs direct from the forest, and cutting them up and making them into lumber on the premises. The advantages of location give them every advantage, the sources of supply from which the logs are taken being within easy distance of this city. The varieties of lumber which may be procured at this establishment are poplar, ash, walnut, cherry, hickory, linden, sugar maple, elm, sycamore and beach; and these are supplied to dealers, manufacturers, builders, etc., at both wholesale and retail, a large local trade being effected in addition to extensive shipments being made to New York and other Eastern points. The firm manufactures about 1,500,000 feet of hard wood lumber annually, besides the large quantities handled by them which they purchase from country mills, and, in addition they also make wire and lath fence ready to put up. This is sold by the rod. They also make hard wood lath for fences.
Their facilities in all respects are the best, enabling them to promptly fill all orders at the lowest current prices. They have large warehouses, barns, etc., and carry at all times a full stock of all varieties, and the location of the plant being adjacent to river, railroad and canal gives every facility for the receipt of the logs and the dispatch of the lumber to destination. The exigencies of their extensive business entails the use of eighteen horses and a corresponding number of wagons and trucks delivering lumber in the vicinity or aiding in shipping it abroad. Thus it will at once be seen by the foregoing that this house is one of the most important in its special branch of trade in this section, and is possessed of facilities, which are not often duplicated, for supplying the trade within the circuit of its operations.
Since the demise of the late proprietor, the management of its affairs has devolved upon Mr. W.C. Ely, who has conducted it within increased prosperity.
JOSEPH R. GEBHART & SON.
Merchant Millers, 320 East Third Street.
One of the oldest milling establishments of southern Ohio is that now conducted under the auspices of Messrs. Joseph R. Gebhart & Son. There has been a flouring mill on the site where the present operations are conducted since the year 1840, although the present firm have only been its proprietors since the year 1873. The mill as now operated is a four-story brick building, 60x100 feet in dimensions, equipped with a full supply of improved machinery and appliances, the complete roller process being here in successful operation. There are fourteen sets of rolls, and the capacity of the establishment allows for the production of about one hundred barrels daily. The house grinds only winter wheat, which, by the utilization of the full roller process, has established its supremacy, and the flour is ahead of spring wheat flour, and will make a larger quantity and better bread than the best of the patent spring wheat flour. The firm manufacture both flour and feed, and their brand of “Star of the West” flour is not surpassed in the market, and is held in the highest reputation throughout the states of Ohio, New York, and other localities.
The members of the firm of Messrs. Joseph R. Gebhart and H. Gebhart, both of whom devote their constant attention to the operations of the mills, personally supervising the various details of the work. The high estimation in which the products of the house are held has led to a wide demand and a thorough appreciation of their merits and quality.
Stove and Ornamental Pattern Works, Corner Wayne Avenue and Railroad.
Wherever mechanical industries have planted themselves, there also the pattern maker plies his indispensable vocation, by his ingenuity and exactitude to the success in the construction of mechanism, often lending invaluable aid to the inventor and making the work of the manufacturer more certain and perfect in its results.
In this connection the business of Mr. L.D. Rayner is entitled to brief mention at least in this volume. The house was established in 1884 by its present proprietor, who is a practical and experienced man in all the details of the business in which he is engaged. His specialty is the making of stove patterns, and many of the parts of the best known stoves and ranges made in this country have been made from patterns the product of these works. Patterns of every kind, however, can here be procured at reasonable prices, and all orders are filled with promptness to the thorough satisfaction of patrons. The trade of the house is in this city, and also throughout the State and further west.
The premises occupied for the business are fitted up with all necessary tools and appliances suited to the trade. Steam power is furnished, and about four experienced workmen are given employment under the direct and practical supervision of the proprietor, Mr. L.D. Rayner, who, apart from his business, is a well known and popular resident. He has for a long time been closely connected with the order of Odd Fellows, and is Past Grand of Central Lodge, No. 23., I.O.O.F.
MARTIN SCHNEBLE’S SONS
Engineers, Machinists and Blacksmiths, 423 & 427 East First Street.
Established but during the year just elapsed, the above house is entitled to due consideration at our hands, inasmuch that it commences operations under such facilities and advantages as cannot fail to attract a lucrative and permanent patronage in the near future. The premises occupied for the conduct of the enterprise comprise a new frame work shop, 40x100 feet in dimensions, also a brick engine house, a frame blacksmith shop and a two story brick office building. In addition there is a large yard which affords ample accommodation for storage. A steam engine of 100 horse power is available for the operation of the mechanical equipment, which is all of the newest and most improved character, and there are facilities at hand for the employment of thirty operatives.
The firm have established their enterprise for the purpose of manufacturing steam engines of all kinds, and for the operation of all descriptions of machine work. Repairing is a special feature of the business and it will be the policy of this house to promptly execute all favors extended, in the very best manner obtainable, and at reasonable prices. Any class of work which properly comes under the general headings of blacksmiths’ and machine work, will here receive due attention, and the proprietors, Mssrs. Rudolph G. Schneble, Theodore C. Schneble, and Joseph C. Schneble are all thoroughly practical men who give their earnest personal attention and supervision to all operations These gentlemen are mechanical engineers by profession, and they will be pleased to give the benefits of their experience and skill to their patrons. As a valuable addition to the manufacturing conveniences of this city this house is entitled to consideration at our hands, and we can assure our readers that it is eminently in a position to offer inducements to the trade, which after investigation will be found to be altogether satisfactory and advantageous.
MURRAY & HANNAH.
Carriage Manufacturers, 409 East Third Street.
Among the manufacturers of southern Ohio who have attained prominence, based upon the merits of their work, none stand higher than the house of Messrs. Murray & Hannah, who make a carriage equal in style, finish and quality to any made in the United States. The construction of fine carriages today, where staying qualities, beauty of design and finish are combined, requires a higher degree of mechanical skill than is exhibited in the production of almost any other article of common use. Therefore, those who require first class carriages should certainly not employ a tyro to make them. Having had many years of experience in this business, the members of the firm now under comment are fully prepared to execute in the very best manner, all work intrusted to them. Using nothing but the best of raw material, carefully seasoned and selected, employing only the most experienced and skilled workmen, this house turns out light and heavy fine carriages, buggies, etc., as well as sleighs, made in any of the approved styles and in the highest quality of workmanship which the skill of the present day can produce.
The manufacturing facilities of the house embrace a factory of three floors in height and built of brick, which is 40x70 feet in dimensions. The firm also has a warehouse, comprising part of the three-story building adjoining, of which they occupy a portion of the first and second floors and the entire third floor. The constructive departments are divided into several divisions of wood working, iron working, painting and finishing, and the entire carriage is made by hand at the works. About a score of skilled mechanics are employed under the direct personal supervision of the proprietors.
The establishment of this business took place in 1872, when the style of house was Murray & Seeger. The present firm, composed of Math Murray and Thos. B. Hannah, succeeded in 1883, and the reputation of the concern throughout all its career has been of the very highest character. Those who want a very cheap carriage will not find it here; those who want a good carriage at a fair price can not do better than to place their orders with this house.
COOPER FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY.
Firemens Insurance Building, Cor. Main and Second Streets.
The Cooper Fire Insurance Co., of this city, now in its twenty-third year of successful operation, is one of the best known and reliable companies in this section of the country, and the prudent and sound management of the institution, its careful selection of risks, its wise management of funds, and the reputation it has gained for liberal dealings with policy holders are attractive inducements which have been all-powerful in contributing to its present prosperity. To illustrate the above facts, we refer to the last annual statement, dated January 1, 1889, which demonstrates a net surplus of close upon $60,000 over all liabilities. The capital of the company, all paid in, is $100,000, and there is a re-insurance fund of $84,000. The policy of this company assures absolute security, and additional safeguards are taken by the investment of the funds in the stocks of Ohio National Banks and other stocks which are beyond the peradventure of loss, United States government bonds, collateral loans and first mortgage loans which can not depreciate below the amounts loaned thereon. The company transactions a Fire Insurance business pure and simple, and their policies are scattered over the states of Ohio and Michigan, where they are represented by about one hundred and seventy-five agencies, and for several years past the Cooper has done the largest business in Ohio of any Ohio company.
The company was organized January, 1867, under the laws of the State of Ohio. The management of its affairs is in the hands of the following gentlemen: D.E. Mead, President; C.D. Mead, Vice-President, and Charles W. Schenk, Secretary. The directors besides the president and vice-president, consist of Messrs. Michael Schaefer, L.B. Gunckel, Geo. Latin, W.P. Callahan and Isaac VanAusdal—a combination of wealth, business ability, and enterprise.
The company counts among its patrons a large number of the most prominent business men and residents of this locality, who have received in it that element of stability which is such an attractive feature to the seeker after safe insurance.
THE SMITH & VAILE COMPANY.
Manufacturers of Steam Pumps, Hydraulic Machinery and Oil Mill Machinery, Keowee Street.
Many of the industries of Dayton have obtained a world wide importance, among them none more notably than The Smith & Vaile Co., manufacturers of pumps and hydraulic machinery. The improvements introduced in these appliances, as exemplified in the products of this company, have attained for them a perfection as great as it is possible to attain with our present knowledge and unquestionably they are among the most perfect pieces of mechanism which human ingenuity has constructed.
This enterprise was founded in 1874 by Smith, Vaile & Co., which style firm continued until 1886 when the present com0pany was incorporated with a capital of $250,000. The possessions of the company comprise about eight acres of ground at the indicated address, three of which are utilized for the plant. This is covered with brick buildings, each of which is utilized for specific operations of the work at hand, the equipment of the whole being as complete as it is possible for ample capital to purchase or practical experience to select. An engine of 100 horse power is used to operate the appliances, and an average of 240 skilled workmen and others are given employment, this number being increased at times to 400.
The company manufactures steam pumps and hydraulic machinery of every kind and for every description of work. In design, construction and practical operation each and every variety of appliance will be found to be the best adapted to the work for which it is designed and made. In the construction of these pumps every care is taken to model them upon correct scientific principles by engineers who are thoroughly competent and familiar with hydraulics. The advantages embodied in the construction of these appliances are therefore not merely theoretical, but they are eminently practical, as evidenced by the examination and approval of competent men who have seen the pumps in operation. The appliances made at these works possess every desirable feature, are perfect in their construction, embody more improvements of value than any other, and are the best steam pump for every conceivable purpose that are placed on the market. The company manufacture also a superior line of oil mill machinery, which are likewise of the best construction and efficiency. The productions of the company find a market all over the United States, wherever mechanical industries are carried on, and their goods are shipped to almost all civilized countries. They have branch establishments in London, Moscow, City of Mexico, and New York, besides agencies in other prominent localities. The officers of the company are Messrs. W.W. Smith, president and treasurer, J.H. Vaile, vice president, and O.P. McCabe, secretary, gentlemen whose knowledge of the business, and facilities and ability for conducting it warrant the belief that this enterprise is foremost among the many establishments who products have made Dayton famous as a manufacturing city.
WM. W. WHITE & CO.
Manufacturer of School Supplies, 17 and 19 East Fourth Street
The advantages which combine to make this city a center for the production of paper specialties, include the fact that tit is close to the sources of supply for the material of which the goods are made, the Miami Valley having long been known as the seat of manufacture for the best grades of paper of various descriptions. To the above must be added the facilities obtained from the central location of the city, the benefit of cheap freight, and the enterprising character of the houses engaged in the business. Among such we accord a prominent place in this work to the house of Messrs. Wm. W. White & Co., which was established in 1883. The factory is comprised in the upper part of the building located as above indicated, and affords every convenience for the successful prosecution of the business. Steam power is furnished, as well as all appliances and requisites suitable to the prosecution of the work in hand.
The firm are manufacturers of Pads and Tablets of all kinds, Composition Books, Students’ Note Books, etc. The goods are made with the greatest care, and are altogether attractive and saleable, and in fact are equal if not superior to any before the trade. Only the best paper is used, with handsome lithographic covers. The variety of designs is also large, and the Patent Blotter Covers accompany each writing pad. New designs are being continually added, and all have specially attractive features to create a demand and to assure a large and growing sale. The bright and attractive lithographic covers particularly catch the eye of scholars, and the peculiarity of these goods is that they are so made as not to easily come apart, as often is the case with inferior goods made by other manufacturers. The facilities of the house include special machinery of their own invention, which enables them to produce their goods at less price than can be done by any other manufacturer in the country, no matter how large they may be.
The trade of the house extends all over the United States, and the firm exports large quantities of their goods to Australia, New Zealand, and other foreign countries.
The members of the firm are Messrs. Wm. White, R.M. Connable and Luke Connable. Mr. White devotes his close attention to the management of the enterprise now under comment, and brings to the business a large experience and a thorough understanding of the requirements of the trade.
Manufacturer of Cigar Boxes, Third and Canal Streets.
The extensive manufacture of cigars in this section of the country has created a correspondingly large demand for cigar boxes, which are made in large quantities by the above house. This business has been in successful operation here since the year 1875, and the premises at the above indicated address consist of a floor in the Gebhart Building, 25x50 feet in dimensions, which is equipped by special machinery operated by water power. Every facility is here available, the appliances being of the most modern and novel character, including sawing, planning and nailing machines, and wood printing presses. The wood for the cigar boxes is sawed and planed by machinery, and even the nails are driven in by machinery. A number of skilled work-people find employment here, and the trade of the house extends through Ohio generally, large quantities being supplied to local manufacturers. Mr. R. Barnes is a practical man at the business, to which he gives his closest personal attention. He enjoys the best of facilities for supplying this class of goods, and his steadily increasing business shows the estimation in which the house is held by the trade.
THE MEAD PAPER CO.
Manufacturers of Book and News Paper, Dayton, O.
The attention of our readers is directed to the enterprise now operated as The Mead Paper Co., an incorporated organization which was established in 1872, succeeding to a business generally founded as many years ago as the year 1846. At that period the operations were of course on a much more limited scale as compared with the present enterprise. The plant now operated by the company is most extensive in character and complete in its equipment. The plant now operated by the company is most extensive in character and complete in its equipment. The main building is of four floors, 200x100 feet in dimension. Another structure of two floors 50x100 feet in area, and there are additional buildings, one and two stories high, which occupy an area of 100x250 feet. The motive power is supplied by both water and steam, the first named being of 200 horse power capacity, and there are three steam engines, which in the aggregate are of 450 horse power. The machinery and appliances here in operation are of the best and most modern construction, representing all the improvements that have been made, during recent years, in the art of paper making appliances. The operations of the establishment affords employment to a force of about 125 operatives, and the capacity of the mills is twelve tons of paper daily. The Mead Paper Co. are manufacturers of book and news paper, also lithographic plate paper. These goods may at once be said to represent the very acme of perfection in their various grades, and the process in vogue insure them being placed on the market at the lowest prices. The patronage of the company is derived mainly from the Western States, and the extent of the business is yearly increasing.
The officers of the company are Messrs. D.E. Mead, president; C.D. Mead, vice president, and B.F. Reist, secretary. These gentlemen are too well known to require more than passing mention at our hands, other than to say that they have brought to bear upon their enterprise sound judgment, tact and energy, which traits have certainly enabled them to meet the demands of the trade and attracted to their enterprise the large patronage it has always enjoyed.
CROSLEY & ADAMSON.
Wholesale Grocers, 177 East Third Street.
Among the houses of importance engaged in the wholesale grocery trade in Dayton is that of Messrs. Crosley & Adamson. This business was originally instituted, January, 1877, by Messrs. Bright & Crosley, and the present firm was organized in 1886. The premises occupied consist of a four story building, 20x100 feet in area, the whole of which is stored with a full stock of staple and fancy groceries, attractively and systematically arranged, and every facility is offered the trade for the speedy and satisfactory selection of purchases and the prompt fulfillment of all orders. The stock carried is very heavy and varied, and includes a full assortment of groceries, tobaccos, teas, coffees, spices canned goods, grocers sundries and supplies, and indeed everything in the line. Care is taken to have these supplies fresh at all times and to handle such a line of products generally as shall merit the approbation and confidence of the trade, who can without misgiving entrust their orders to this house. The goods are procured direct from original sources of supply and first hands in every interest, and thus they are placed upon the market at lowest prices. The trade of the house is in Ohio exclusively and three travelers are constantly on the road selling its goods. By this contradiction of their operations, the firm consult the interests of its patrons and can offer them inducements impossible to obtain from establishments whose base of supply is further distant. Altogether, the facilities of this concern as such as cannot fail to merit the consideration of dealers in this section of the country. The members of the firm are Messrs. B.B. Crosley and W.L. Adamson, gentlemen of experience in the business, and they give all its operations their close personal attention. Their operations are conducted upon principles of strict commercial integrity, and relations once entered into with them are sure to become permanent and pleasant and ultimately profitable.
GRAVES AND MARSHALL.
Boiler Makers & Sheet Iron Workers, 403 to 407 East First Street.
Dayton may be considered as a leading source of supply for boilers, sheet and plate iron work, and one of the oldest and best known houses engaged in this trade in Ohio is that of Messrs. Graves & Marshall, which was instituted in 1855, and has been conducted under the auspices of the present firm since 1887.
The plant covers an area of 400x150 feet. This is almost entirely covered with single and two-story buildings, the entire equipment of the works being of the best character, including machinery for dishing heads, plate planers, steam riveting machinery, etc., all which are operated by an engine of 60 horse power, employment being furnished to about seventy-five skilled workmen.
The products of the firm comprise upright, tubular, horizontal and high pressure boilers, tanks, oil and soap kettles, chemical pans, stills, etc., and, indeed, any thing and everything which can be manufactured from sheet and plate iron. The facilities for the receipt of the raw material and the shipping of the finished products are particularly favorable, the works being located on the line of railroad connecting them directly with the great forwarding system of the country. The trade of the house is not by any means restricted to this locality, work being dispatched to all parts of the United States.
The members of this firm are Messrs Henry C.Graves and George Marshall, both of whom devote their constant and critical attention to the operations of the establishment.
From its earliest establishment this house has been a favorite source of supply in this particular branch of industry, and those forming business relations with it will find under the new management a continuation of advantages offered fully in keeping with its honorable record of so long standing.
COTTERILL, FENNER & CO.
North Star Tobacco Works, East Second Street.
In the rapid development of the industries of Dayton during the past quarter of a century, the manufacture of tobacco has been advanced to a prominent position, and in the van among other enterprises stands the old established and reliable house of Messrs. Cotterill, Fenner & Co. The business was founded in 1855, and after an honorable and successful career of nearly a third of a century today enjoys the highest reputation for the production of the best quality goods in its line. The premises occupied cover an extensive area, 100x200 feet in dimensions, upon which is located the main factory, a building four stories high and built of brick, in addition to a two-story frame structure adjoining. Steam power from a forty horse power engine is used to operate the machinery and appliances, which are of the very best and most modern character. Employment is given to sixty-five operatives. Messrs. Cotterill, Fenner & Co. manufacture a variety of smoking and chewing tobacco, but their leading specialty is the celebrated North Star chewing tobacco, which is highly popular throughout the country and is staple with the trade. In the manufacture of this tobacco the greatest care is exercised in the selection of the leaf, to insure quality and uniformity, and each process is critically supervised. The result is the production of a chewing tobacco that for purity, quality, and flavor is seldom equaled and never excelled. The goods are sold in all sections of the United States, and four traveling salesmen are constantly on the road. The members of the firm are Messrs. A.C. Marshall, G.H. Gorman and H.Z. Marshall. The liberal policy upon which this business has been and is conducted and the amplitude of its facilities rank it among the first of its contemporaries.
BLOOM, GERWELS & CO.
Manufacturers of Cigars, 330 and 332 Warren Street.
The influence of that class of houses where goods are shipped away from home to distant points is almost immeasurable, and as an illustration we quote the enterprise of Messrs. Bloom & Gerwels & Co., which was founded a number of years ago, the present firm dating from 1884.
The premises occupied for the business consist of a two-story frame building, 40x85 feet in area, where employment is given to the large force of from 135 to 140 skilled workers, the capacity of the establishment allowing of 5,000,000 of cigars being produced annually. The best of appliances and conveniences are here in operation, and the energies of the house are devoted to the manufacture of all grades of cigars, many different brands being made, and the firm is constantly introducing new ones on the market. In every detail of the work the utmost care is exercised to the result that the products shall be of scrupulous uniformity, and that they shall be of such quality and character as shall be at once a recommendation to the trade. The goods are shipped to all parts of the Union and also to Mexico, and wherever introduced they have found favor with the public.
Mr. Bernard Gerwels is the resident member of the firm in Dayton, the other partners being in Cincinnati. He is a gentleman of thorough experience in all relating to the trade, and exercises the closest scrutiny over all the operations in the interests of the perfection of the product. The house is altogether a reliable one and one of the largest manufacturers of cigars in this section, and the thorough experience of the management in manufacturing, and their knowledge of the qualities of tobacco all go together to confer advantages upon dealers difficult to procure elsewhere.
Dealer in Leaf Tobacco, Corner Webster Street and Monument Avenue.
A large proportion of the leaf tobacco trade of Dayton is transacted by the well known house of Mr. J.S. Wolf, which has now been in existence about fifteen years. The business requires the utilization of a large frame warehouse at the above address, and in the busy season Mr. Wolf is compelled to hire additional accommodations. A large stock may always be found here on hand immediately after the season of packing operations, and a force of from fifteen to twenty-five hands are there given employment. The principal variety of tobacco handled by the house is Ohio Seed Leaf Tobacco, and in additional specialties are made of Dutch and Spanish tobaccos, which for certain uses are highly desirable. The trade of the house is wholly with manufacturers and jobbers, and is mainly located in this state, New York, Philadelphia, and other prominent centers. Large shipments are also made to Europe, the bulk of the foreign demand coming from Germany. An idea of the extensive nature of this house’s operations can be realized by the statement that over five thousand cases are annually disposed of—each case containing about 360 pounds of tobacco. Mr. Wolf is a well-known resident of Dayton, and is regarded by the trade as an enterprising, reliable, and honorable dealer, thoroughly conversant with every detail of the business to which his energies are given.
STOUT, MILLS & TEMPLE.
Manufacturers of the New American Turbine Water Wheels, Flour and Paper Mill Machinery, &c. South Ludlow Street
Anyone paying a visit at the present time to the establishment of Messrs. Stout, Mills & Temple would find a vast emporium of mechanical industry, thoroughly furnished in every department, and complete in every detail with all the trade appliances that mechnical skill and ingenuity can devise for facilitating as far as possible, perfection and dispatch in the manufacture of the products for which the firm have earned the highest reputation throughout the United States, England, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and other foreign countries.
The history of this eminent house dates back to the year 1857, about which time it was founded by Mr. Thomas Clegg upon a very modest scale, but a small factory constituting the nucleus from which has grown the present immense business. Mr. Clegg was succeeded by the firm of Westerman & Stout, and in 1853, the present firm was organized. The plant occupies an area of about five acres, upon which are erected a number of buildings which are constructed of brick. The general dimensions are, the machine shop, contained in a building 50x300 feet in dimensions, the foundry 160x50 feet with additions, the wood shop 50x150 feet in area, erecting shop 30x100 feet, the blacksmith shop, cleaning house, draughting department, a two story office building and commodious warehouses. The machinery in operation constitutes the most complete equipment of this character that capital can procure and human ingenuity devise, much of which has been specially constructed to fill the requirements of this establishment. Their methods of manufacture are the results of years of close application and a thorough and complete knowledge of the wants of the trade for which they cater. The firm are manufacturers and patentees of the New American Turbine Water Wheels, which have double the power of ordinary turbine wheels of the same diameter and are very much more durable. These wheels are manufactured entirely over dry sand cores which produce smooth, even surfaces, homogeneous and strong castings. In starting they will move the load so gradually that a belt can be put on any part of the mill with perfect safety, and in case of accident can be shut down instantaneously. Probably no piece of mechanism has ever met with such extended commendation as have these appliances.
The firm also manufacture high class flour mill machinery such as the Livingston Belted Roller Mill, which is claimed to be the best mill in the market. The Gilbert Combined, the Universal Reduction, and Four-roller Roller Mills, are also other pieces of machinery of the highest merit. The firm also supply burr mill stones of the very best quality, bolting cloth, hangers, pulleys, couplings, flour packers, and mill supplies generally. The fame which their mill machinery has achieved throughout the country furnishes a far stronger comment, as regards its merits, than any remarks we might presume to offer.
Another specialty is the Cat Iron Tub Rag Engines. These engines combine strength, good workmanship, durability, neatness of design and great utility. They are in successful operation in a large number of paper mills, diffused all over the country. The firm also make Wood Pulp Grinding Machines, to manufacture which they possess exclusive patent rights. The firm publish a voluminous and comprehensive illustrated catalogues of their specialties which will be found of great value to intending purchasers. In addition to a large trade in this country, they ship extensively to foreign countries and during the past year they dispatched over ten car loads of machinery to Japan alone. The operations of these extensive works afford constant employment to a force of about 150 mechanics, thus contributing largely to the general wealth of the community in the disbursement of large sums annually in wages. The members of the firm are Messrs. A.L. Stout, W.M. Mills, and John C. Temple, all of whom take a special working interest in the affairs of the concern and embody within themselves the practical management of the business. The enterprise is one of the largest of the kind in the country, and its operations are annually increasing.
GEORGE J. ROBERTS & CO.
Manufacturers of Steam Pumps, etc., Corner Second and Mill Streets
Dayton is the seat of important operations in the manufacture of steam pumps and hydraulic machinery. In this branch of industry one of the most progressive and representative houses is that of Mssrs. Geo. J. Roberts & Co., whose office and works are located at the above indicated address. The business was established about the year 1871, and it has since built up a large trade which extends throughout the United Stats, and some foreign countries, notably Mexico and South America.
The plant comprises a three story brick building, 75x68 feet in area, which is equipped with all modern tools, appliances and machinery known to the trade. Much of this machinery has been specially made for the purpose to which it is applied and is of the best character, and is operated by a twenty-five horse power engine. The firm are manufacturers of Steam Pumping and Hydraulic Machinery, Steam Pumps, both single and duplex, Water Motors, etc., which are unrivaled for design, quality, durability and general efficiency, and are the embodiment of mechanical workmanship of the highest order of perfection. It will be apparent that the greatest are and the scientific researches of years have been exercised to bring these steam pumps and other apparatus to the present state of perfect, and they are adapted to all kinds of service and have no superiors in the market. The Roberts’ Patent Steam Pumps embody all the really valuable features of other steam pumps in addition to the number which are peculiar alone to these appliances. All of the parts are made upon the interchangeable system, so that any portion getting broken or worn out can immediately be replaced with but the minimum of expense.
The products of the house, briefly enumerated, are as follows: Roberts Patent Direct Action Positive motion Steam Pump, Roberts Patent Steam Pumps, for feeding boilers and forcing water against heavy pressure, Roberts Patent Small Boiler Feed Pumps, for small stationary boilers, portable and traction engines and steam yachts, Roberts Patent Low Pressure Pumps for public and private buildings, Roberts Improved Duplex Steam Pumps, adapted for hot or cold water, hydraulic elevators, water works, mines, railroads, fire service, etc., and Roberts Patent Boiler Feeding and Heavy Pressure Pumps for breweries, tanneries, etc. They also make Patent Injectors and Steam Jets, and all parts are interchangeable. The utmost care is taken in all the details of manufacture, and every one of the motors is subjected to the most critical tests before being allowed to leave the works.
Large numbers of all the different machines manufactured by the house have been sold all over the country, and numerous testimonials from eminent firms and corporations bear evidence to their high character and excellence, and they may be said to be second to none produced anywhere.
Return to "Industrial Advance of Dayton, Ohio and Environs" Home Page