Dayton Memories Blog > Icelandia
Icelandia
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

bigbob
28 posts
Sep 30, 2008
6:21 AM
Anyone remember skating there and is it still there?
Dan-O
9 posts
Oct 02, 2008
12:52 PM
It was located at the southwest corner of W. Siebenthaler Avenue and Klepinger Road. It hasn't been there for quite some time, but I don't know exactly when it was demolished. I think there's a Kroger grocery store there now.
driver62
107 posts
Oct 03, 2008
5:07 AM
I remember that place but it was torn down many years ago. You are right about a Kroger store being there along with a few other stores.

The back of the Kroger store sits on part of the lot where the Salem drive-in used to be. The rest of the drive-in lot still sits empty.
dlm
2 posts
Oct 21, 2008
7:13 AM
I just posted about it and saw you already did. It was torn down years ago but I loved its uniqueness and it had the open fire inside, but it was really cold in their because of being a open type roof. Really neat.
Doug68
15 posts
May 02, 2009
7:45 AM
Me and my family used to skate at Icelandia back in the late 1950's. In fact, I went to school (3rd grade) with the owner's daughter, Ann Barker, and the two of us often skated together (if you could call it that from my point of view). We attended Shiloh School on Philadelphia Drive (near N. Main St.). Incidentally, the school was just torn down a year ago, complete with the Fallout Shelter sign.
RickD
6 posts
May 04, 2009
2:20 PM
Went to Icelandia every winter from preteens through teens. I wonder how sanitary those rented skates were. Loved the open fire with the half-circle tier seating. First time I asked a girl to go steady was at that fire (Maryann). Don't remember her last name but I'm still in love. In the 60's I went in the summer for the dances. Usually just records but occasionally local garage bands.
dfw
7 posts
May 06, 2009
10:53 AM
The fire was in an open 55-gallon drum, wasn't it?
RickD
13 posts
May 06, 2009
12:06 PM
dfw- My memory is distorted with emotions. It seems like it was just an open camp style fire but I don't remember anyone ever feeding it or any kids messing with it so it may have been contained in anything. You're probably right. A drum would have been convenient for the management.
The big trick at Icelandia was to get a pair of skates with sturdy sides for ankle support.
Jeff
6 posts
Jul 11, 2009
4:05 PM
Hey all:
I skated at Icelandia regularly in the late 60s, maybe to early 70s, 2-3 times a week. I was a hot dog on hockey skates. It was a small rink but I loved that place and the smell of the fire pit.

Yes, the fire was definitely in an open pit.

Speaking of fire, I heard that the place burned down, sometime in the mid 70s, though I'm hazy about the year range.

Kind of hard to remember it now. But I DO remember sneaking in to the drive in while walking home to watch the dirty movies (like "Valley of the Dolls").
dquartz
57 posts
Sep 05, 2009
2:41 PM
does anybody remember a skating rink in the downtown area ? iam not sure if it was roller or ice, but it seems to me like there was one somplace in that area.
RIVERDALE RAT
155 posts
Sep 05, 2009
3:28 PM
dquartz: I remember a skating/roller rink on west 4th street near the old Sacred Heart cathederal. it was on the south side of 4th street over a parking garage. kinda in the same area as the Dayton Daily News. does anybody else remember this ?
corvettes6
37 posts
Sep 05, 2009
7:27 PM
yes i think it was called skateland it was on the second floor i think
dquartz
77 posts
Sep 06, 2009
5:12 PM
thanks guys, that was the one i was thinking of. i just couldnt place the exact location.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(4096 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.