WILLIAM HENRY NEGLEY, M.D., [pages 207-208] whose office is at No. 137 West Third street, Dayton, Ohio, is a native of the Buckeye state, and was born in Germantown, Montgomery county, July 16, 1863, a son of William Henry and Eleanor A. (Schultz) Negley.
John C. Negley, his grandfather, was born near Carlisle, Cumberland county, Pa., July 21, 1783, and when about twelve years of age accompanied his father and other members of the family to Mercer county, Ky., where he grew to manhood. In 1805 he came to Ohio and entered a section of land in German township, Montgomery county, just east of Germantown, that village then consisting of a post-office, store, tavern, and a few houses. In 1805, he married Miss Mary Shuey, a daughter of John Martin Shuey, the marriage resulting in the birth of five children, viz: Christiana, Caroline, Elizabeth, Catherine and William Henry. Shortly after his marriage, John C. Negley volunteered for the war of 1812, entering the army with the commission of ensign, and later, for brave and gallant conduct, was promoted to be captain.
William Henry Negley, the only son of John C. and the father of Dr. Negley, was born in Germantown, Ohio, December 18, 1828, was reared on his father's farm and in 1857 married Miss Eleanor A. Schultz, a native of Baltimore, Md., this union being blessed with two children-—Frank Herwood and Dr. William H. Mr. Negley, like his father, was a brave soldier, and served his country through the war of the Rebellion; in 1869 he removed with his family to Cincinnati, Ohio, and there Dr. W. H. Negley was educated.
Dr. Negley received his elementary education in the public schools of Cincinnati, and passed through all the intermediate grades until he reached the Woodward high school, from which he was graduated in 1882. In 1883 he entered the Miami Medical college at Cincinnati, to prepare himself for his chosen profession, and from this institution he graduated in March, 1886. In October, 1886, he was appointed acting assistant surgeon at the National Military Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers near Dayton; January 1, 1887, was promoted to the position of second assistant surgeon, and July 1, 1889, was promoted to first assistant surgeon.
June 9, 1891, Dr. Negley was most happily united in marriage with Miss Anna Poyntz Anderson, daughter of Charles B. and Belle (Bradford) Anderson, of Campbell county, Ky. March 1, 1892, the doctor resigned his position in the Military home, near Dayton, in order to go to Europe, and further to prosecute the study of his profession in the hospitals of the old world. Returning to Dayton in November of the same year, he opened his present office January 1, 1893. In March, 1894, he was appointed attending physician to Saint Elizabeth hospital, which position he has filled with marked credit and ability. Two children— Eleanor Bradford and William Henry, Jr.— have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Negley.
JOHN K. McINTIRE, [pages 208-211] capitalist, banker and wholesale merchant, of Dayton, Ohio, is a native of the Keystone state, having been born at Lancaster, Pa., and is the son of Samuel and Elizabeth McIntire. The Mclntire family was one of the early ones in Montgomery county, Ohio. Samuel Mclntire was a native of Scotland, born of Scotch-Irish parents. Before attaining his majority he came to the United States and settled in Lancaster county, Pa. There he was married, his wife having, when a child, gone with her parents to that state from her native place in Virginia. In the spring of 1840 Samuel McIntire brought his family to Montgomery county, making the entire trip by wagon, the journey consuming twenty-one days. Upon arriving in this county he located temporarily at Harshmanville. His death occurred four years later. His widow survived him until 1885, her death occurring in Dayton, where she had resided for a number of years.
After securing a common-school education, John K. Mclntire came to Dayton in the fall of 1846, and took a position as clerk in the grocery store of George W. Kneisley, continuing in that capacity with the same house until January I, 1854, when he purchased an interest in the business, and became a partner in the firm of Kneisley, Mclntire & Co., wholesale grocers. In 1861 the firm became that of Kneisley & Mclntire, with Mr. Mclntire an equal partner. In 1876 Mr. Mclntire retired from the above firm, and in the same year established the wholesale grocery house of J. K. Mclntire & Co., on East Third street, which, on May 1, 1894, was removed to No. 116 North Main street. This is the largest and the leading house in its line in Dayton, and one of the largest in Ohio.
Mr. Mclntire has other large and important business interests in Dayton. For the past twenty-one years he has been a stockholder and director in the Third National bank, and since 1888 has been president of that institution. He has been a director in the Miami Insurance company since its incorporation in 1862, he being one of the original members, and is vice-president of the company at the present time. He is also a director in the Fireman's Insurance company, director in the Dayton Gas Light & Coke company, director in the Dayton Spice mills company, vice-president and director in the Weston Paper company, and is in one way or another interested in other enterprises. He is also a large owner of valuable business property and real estate in the city. Mr. McIntire was one of the original members of the old, volunteer fire department of Dayton, and for three years was a member and for one year president of the Dayton board of fire commissioners. In this direction he has always taken a most active interest, and to him as much as to any other man does Dayton owe the credit for the establishment of the present very efficient city fire department. Mr. Mclntire is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, being both a thirty-second degree and knight templar Mason. He is also a member of and director in the Dayton club.
In 1858, at Romulus, on Seneca lake, in New York state, Mr. Mclntire was married to Evaline Van Tuyl, who died in Dayton in 1887, leaving the following children: Stella, who married George W. Elkins, of the well-known Philadelphia family of that name, and who resides in that city; Ada, who married Frank T. Huffman, of Dayton, and John S. and Edward M., both of whom are among the well-known and rising young business men of Dayton and members of the firm of J. K. Mclntire & Co.
The career of Mr. McIntire has been an active and busy one, and has been one of almost uniform success. Beginning life in a subordinate position in a mercantile house, it was his industry, energy and determination to rise above the common level which brought him into favor with his employers and made his advancement possible at a time in the history of the business of this city when promotions were slow. Once given an opportunity to advance, he was active in making other opportunities. It was but natural that when such a man began to have surplus capital, beyond the requirements of his regular business, he should seek for it profitable investments. It was natural, too, that in the hands of a man of his shrewdness and sagacity, capital should continue to accumulate with accelerating rapidity, and be distributed in a diversity of channels. In this respect his history is not different from that of many other financiers, nor has success in business been allowed to change the man. He is the kind and constant friend, the pleasant and genial acquaintance, and the broad and liberal-minded citizen. In the prime of his mental and physical vigor, Mr. Mclntire has won a place in the front rank of the solid, progressive and public-spirited citizens of Dayton. His success has not only been of benefit to him and to his immediate family, but the city of Dayton has shared in it, his business operations having been on such lines as materially aid the community. The traits of character of Mr. Mclntire are such as to have won for him a wide circle of friends and acquaintances not only in Dayton but away from home.
REV. CHARLES J. HAHNE, [pages 211-212] pastor of Emanuel church, the leading Catholic congregation of Dayton, was born in the city of Schleswig, in the province of Schleswig, Germany, March 12, 1833. His father and mother were devout Catholics, but were not in affluent circumstances, his father being a shoemaker. To his mother he owes his earlier religious instruction, and to her pious influence he owes gratitude for her encouragement. of his desire to become a servant of the church. He was educated at Mount St. Mary's seminary, at Cincinnati, and was ordained priest on May 29, 1863, by Archbishop Purcell, of that city.
Rev. John F. Hahne, elder brother of Father Charles J. Hahne, was born in Schleswig, April 19, 1815. While yet a mere boy he announced his intention to devote his life to the church, and as he advanced in years this determination was strengthened. His parents, however, were too poor to permit him to devote all his time to the necessary study, but he nevertheless availed himself of every opportunity for obtaining books through loan and otherwise, and devoted himself assiduously to their study. He also laid aside from his earnings all the funds he could possibly spare until, having learned his trade, he was able to visit various parts of Prussia, working .as he journeyed and saving his earnings, for the purpose of forwarding his life object—that of reaching the priesthood. Having accumulated sufficient means, he began his theological studies at Freyburg, in Switzerland. He was employed as a private tutor for some time in Hanover, Prussia, and continued to devote himself to study under the supervision of members of the Society of Jesus. Eventually he was ordained priest in the city of Osnabruck, Germany, December 23, 1848, whence he went to Alfhausen, and some time afterward was appointed chaplain to the army at Schleswie, his native city. In September, 1851, he came to America, and proceeded at once to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was appointed assistant pastor of the church of Saint Philomena, and a short time afterward was transferred to the assistant pastorate of St. Paul's church, in which he continued until May, 1857, when he was transferred to Dayton. Here Father Hahne soon secured the confidence and love of those among whom his lot was cast, and through his efforts some of the most important Catholic organizations in the city were established. He was regarded as one of the most energetic and zealous clergymen in the diocese of Cincinnati, and in private life was universally beloved for his warm-hearted disposition and truly amiable character. His death occurred February 21, 1882, and his memory is sorrowfully cherished by many hundreds of his loving and admiring friends.
Emanuel's Catholic church, on Franklin street, Dayton, is the result of Father John F. Hahne's devotion to and zeal in the cause of the holy faith. The corner stone of the edifice was laid September 8, 1871, the anniversary of the nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, according to the church calendar. It is the largest church building in Dayton, its outside measurement being 166x68 feet, with two towers in front, each 212 feet high; the auditory has a seating capacity for 1,500 persons, and the children's gallery will seat 600. The cost of the edifice was $100,000, and the interior is in full keeping with the exterior, both being chaste and elegant in design and finish.
Father Charles J. Hahne came to America December 22, 1854, and since 1863 has been connected with Emanuel's church, having officiated as assistant pastor from that date until the demise of his brother, when he succeeded to the pastorate, a position he has since most ably and zealously filled. He has labored hard in the service of his flock, which numbers over 3,000 souls, and whom he considers first in all things, excepting only his allegiance to the faith. He is self-sacrificing, is filled with kindness, charity and love, and is not only venerated by his own immediate people, but is honored and respected throughout the entire city of Dayton, and by those of every class and creed.
JAMES MANFORT WEAVER, M. D., [pages 213-214] physician and surgeon, of Dayton, Ohio, has been a resident of this city since 1880, removing hereto from the National soldiers' home, where he had been filling an appointment as surgeon and medical adviser since 1874. He was born in Decatur county, Ind., near Greensburg, April 9, 1838, and is a son of Rev. John S. Weaver, who was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1802. The family originated in the German district of Alsace-Lorraine, which, however, prior to 1871, had been in the possession of France, the great-grandfather of Dr. Weaver being the first member of the family to emigrate to the United States. John Weaver, his son, and the grandfather of Dr. Weaver, was a shipbuilder in the United States navy for many years, and late in life came to Ohio and engaged in farming. His wife was Mary Smallwood, of Philadelphia, and they reared a family of eight or ten children, who scattered abroad throughout the country, some going south, others west, and engaging in various occupations.
The father of Dr. Weaver was a graduate of Miami university, being a member of the first class sent out by that institution, and he was afterward a tutor at Oxford for some time. He entered the ministry of the Presbyterian church about 1828, beginning his work at Bellbrook, Greene county. Some time afterward he was transferred to Franklin, Warren county, and thence to a charge in the vicinity of Greensburg, Ind., returning to Ohio about 1838. Here for some time he had charge of a church near the village of Millville, Butler county, remaining there for two or three years, after which he took charge of the New Jersey church in Warren county, which church is now called the Carlisle church. Here he remained until about 1858, when he assumed charge of Dick's Creek church, his home being the village of Blue Ball, along the line of Butler and Warren counties, Ohio. Continuing here in charge until 1865, he then removed to Springfield, Ohio, where also he engaged in ministerial work, though not having any special charge. His last sermon was preached in Bellbrook, Ohio, the same place in which he began his work in the ministry, his death occurring in Springfield, Ohio, in 1872. He was a man of considerable literary attainments, and was a contributor to several religious journals. . His entire life was given to the work of the church, and in a most unselfish manner did he perform every duty that devolved upon him.
He married Miss Amanda Hurin, a daughter of Silas Hurin, one of the early settlers of Lebanon, Warren county, Ohio, Silas Hurin was a native of New Jersey and came to Ohio, settling in Warren county, at a very early day. By trade he was a tanner. He married a Miss Ludlow, who was also of one of the earliest families of Ohio. The mother of Dr. Weaver was born in Lebanon and died in 1882. She and her husband were the parents of seven children, as follows : Susan A., deceased ; Kate C., wife of Capt. James H. Robinson, of Springfield, Ohio; James M.; Mary Agnes, widow of Capt. A. M. Robinson, of Cincinnati, Ohio; John S., who has always been engaged in educational work, and who is now principal of the high school at Springfield, Ohio; Georgiana D., wife of R. E. Naylor, a farmer of Kansas; Walter L., a well-known, attorney at law, of Springfield, Ohio.
James M. Weaver was reared in the southern part of Ohio, and received his elementary education in the district schools, attending school during the winter season and working on the farm in the summer. He then attended an academic school some two years, and taught school one winter. In 1857 he entered the office of Drs. Firestone & Robison, of Wooster, Ohio, and attended his first course of lectures at Cincinnati, in the winter of 1859-60. His second course he attended at the medical department of the Western Reserve college, at Cleveland, Ohio, graduating there in the class of 1861.
He began practice at Jackson, Wayne county, Ohio, remaining there until August, 1862, when he entered the service of the government as assistant surgeon of the Ninety-third Ohio volunteer infantry, being promoted to the office of surgeon in 1864, and serving in the field until the close of the war, or until June, 1865. Part of the time he was, on the operating staff and in charge of the hospital of the Third division, Fourth army corps.
After severing his connection with the army Dr. Weaver located at Wooster, Ohio, and practiced medicine there in partnership with Dr. J. D. Robison, following a general practice until 1874, when he was appointed surgeon to the central branch of the National soldiers' home, at Dayton. This position he filled until 1880, when he removed to the city of Dayton, and has ever since been here engaged in general practice as a physician and surgeon. His house and office are at No. 111 South Ludlow street. Here he has built up a most extensive practice in the city and immediate vicinity, and is well known as a skillful and conscientious practitioner. While in Wooster he served as a member of the board of pension examiners, and since locating in Dayton has served in the same capacity from 1881 until 1884, and again from 1890 until 1893. He also served as health officer of Dayton from 1886 to 1891, and has been a member of the consulting staff of St. Elizabeth's hospital since 1882, and surgeon of the Big Four railroad since 1881. His entire attention is given to his profession, as that affords him the greatest interest, as well as being the most profitable manner of spending his life.
Dr. Weaver is a member of the Montgomery county Medical society, of the Ohio state Medical association, of the American Medical association, of the state association of railroad surgeons, and of the National association of railroad surgeons. He is a member of Dayton lodge No. 147, F. & A. M.; of Unity chapter No. 16; of Reese council No. 9, and of Reed commandery No. 6. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, of the Scottish rite. He is a member of the Old Guard post No. 23, G. A. R., and is in good standing in all these various societies and orders. He was elected to the board of education in the spring of 1896, and is one of the most valued and efficient members of that body.
Dr. Weaver was married September 6, 1865, to Miss Sarah J. Jacobs, of Fort Wayne, Ind., a daughter of William Jacobs of that city. She was born, however, in Wooster, Ohio. Dr. and Mrs. Weaver are the parents of four children, as follows: Anna L., who died at the age of sixteen; Mary M., who died in infancy; Frederick C., a practicing physician of Dayton, in partnership with his father, and Mima J., living at home. The family are members of the Presbyterian church of this city.
Frederick C. Weaver was born December 16, 1870, and received his literary education at the Wesleyan university, at Delaware, Ohio. He read medicine with his father, and attended the Miami Medical college at Cincinnati, graduating there from with the class of 1894. He is assistant surgeon of the Third regiment, 0. N. G., and is one of the attending physicians of St. Elizabeth's hospital at Dayton. He was married, in 1891, to Miss Mary E. Bridgeman, of London, Ohio. The Drs. Weaver are considered by the citizens of Dayton, generally, as one of the strongest medical and surgical firms in the city, their skill and success being quite marked and widely recognized, not only in the city itself, but throughout a wide circuit of the surrounding country.
JEFFERSON A. WALTERS, M. D., [pages 217-218] of Dayton, is now living in retirement and A J devoting his leisure to the study of historical and philosophical literature, having long since acquired a competency and being now one of the solid capitalists and financiers of the Gem City. He descends from one of the oldest of American families, was born in Fayette county, Pa., October 19, 1810, and has been a resident of Ohio since 1830. His father, Ephraim Walters, also a native of Fayette county, was born in 1776, was reared a farmer, and, while still a young man, also engaged in trading, and as early as 1800 floated flour to New Orleans, La., on a keel-boat. In 1803 he married Miss Elizabeth Ache, daughter of a Dunkard preacher, and thenceforward confined himself to agricultural pursuits, and died at the ripe old age of ninety-one years.
Ephraim Walters, grandfather of Dr. Walters, was born about 1737, and when fourteen years of age was captured by the Shawanese Indians on the south branch of the Potomac river, in Virginia. His father, mother, and six children beside himself, were also the victims of this onslaught, and the father was shot dead on the spot. While crossing the mountains westwardly the Indians seized a nursing babe from its mother's arms and dashed out its brains against a stump, and then tied the mother to a tree and slowly tortured her to death with fire. Young Ephraim, with the other prisoners, was taken to an Indian village on the Monongahela river near Pittsburg (as it is now known), where he was adopted by the chief, Yougashaw, and was kindly treated. He became an expert hunter and a brave warrior, and was present at Braddock's defeat and at the subsequent fall of Fort Duquesne in 1758. He was of course among the Indians who sided with the French, and in 1759 was exchanged, and so passed into the hands of the English, who then controlled the colonies. But the arrogance of the British officers was to him unbearable, and he soon rejoined his Indian associates and with them came to Ohio, where he passed two years on the Muskingum river and its tributaries. In 1761 he returned to Pennsylvania and made his home on the Monongahela river in the village of the renowned Indian chief, Cornstalk, in what is now Fayette county. In 1770 he located a "tomahawk" title to about 7,000 acres of land in that county, most of which is today very valuable and a great portion of it in the possession of his descendants. The same year he married Miss DeBolt, of French descent, to which union were born seven sons and three daughters, and of these ten children three lived to reach the age of ninety years, six to be seventy-five, and one to be fifty-five years old. During the Revolutionary war Mr. Walters raised a company for the defense of the settlement, and during the war of 1812, his youngest son having been drafted, he offered himself as a substitute and was accepted, although he was then seventy-five years old. He was ever prominent in local affairs and for many years was. a justice of the peace. His death took place in 1835 at the age of ninety-four years, and his memory is still cherished and venerated in the western part of the Keystone state.
Dr. Jefferson A. Walters, on coming to Ohio in 1830, was the first student to enter the Eclectic Medical college, just organized at Worthington, and from this institution he graduate in, 1834. The first three years of practice he passed in Perry county, and in June, 1837, he settled in Dayton. December 24, 1840, he was united in marriage with Miss Lucetta E. Brooks, only daughter of James Brooks, and to this union were born one son and one daughter. In the summer of 1841 the Doctor opened a drug store and for twenty-five years did a very successful business, but in 1866 had the misfortune to be thrown from his buggy, sustaining a serious injury to his spine, from which he suffered for six years before finding permanent relief, since when he has enjoyed very fair health. For many years he has been living in retirement, passing his time in the perusal of standard works of philosophy and antiquarian research. He is well preserved for his age and adds to his longevity by maintaining an equable temper and the exercise of an unusual degree of sociability. He has always been a democrat in politics, but has never aspired to public office nor cared to burden himself with official cares, being satisfied with his lot as an honored and quiet citizen of the republic.
THOMAS P. GADDIS, [pages 218-219] vice-president and general manager of the Dayton Malleable Iron works and one of the Gem City's representative manufacturers and citizens, was born in this city June 5, 1850. His father was the late Rev. Maxwell Pierson Gaddis, who for years was one of the well-known ministers of the Cincinnati' M. E. conference, and was the author of that valuable and interesting autobiographical work, “Footprints of an Itinerant." Rev. Gaddis was born in Lancaster county, Pa., on September 9, 1811. His parents, Robert and Mary Ann (Frazier) Gaddis, who were natives of Ireland, were married in 1789, and became the parents of thirteen children, seven of whom were born in that country. In 1801 the family sailed from Ireland on the ship Stafford, and after a perilous voyage of thirteen weeks, reached this land. They first located on a small farm in Delaware, but in 1803 they removed to Pennsylvania, and in 1817 came to Ohio. Rev. Gaddis was educated principally by his mother. Before he had reached his sixteenth year he had passed the necessary examination, had been pronounced competent to teach, and had taught his first common school. By teaching he earned means to go to college, which he entered in 1830, but soon afterward was forced to abandon his studies on account of poor health. In 1832-33 he was engaged in mercantile business. In 1824 he was converted to religion; in 1835 he was authorized to exhort in the M.E, church, and during that year he received his first appointment to a circuit. His first appointment to a station was in 1838, when he was placed in charge at Fulton, Ohio. In the fall of 1841 he was appointed agent for the Worthington Female seminary and Asbury academy at Parkersburg, Va. In 1852 he was compelled to abandon active work, on account of ill health, and the following year he severed his connection as pastor at Piqua, and went east to recuperate. He recovered his health to a slight degree, but continued weak, and was compelled to take a superannuated relation with the church. Following this he located in Dayton, and here resided until his death, which occurred in 1878. His widow still resides in Dayton.
Thomas P. Gaddis was reared in Dayton, first attended the public schools, and then Antioch college, at Yellow Springs, Ohio. In 1869 he went to Colorado, where he served in the U. S. engineering corps under Maj. John E. Clark. In 1872 he was in Wisconsin and Michigan with the engineering corps of the Northwestern Railway company, and in 1873 he returned to Dayton and entered the Malleable Iron-Works as a partner, holding first the position of shipping clerk and subsequently that of foreman of the foundry, then superintendent and general manager. In 1884 he became vice-president and general manager. For a time he was president of the company.
In 1878 Mr. Gaddis was married to a daughter of the late Col. John G. Lowe, of Dayton.
ADMIRAL JAMES FINDLAY SCHENCK, [pages 219-221] deceased, was born at Franklin, Warren county, Ohio, on June 11, 1807, and was the son of Gen. William C. Schenck, a pioneer of Ohio, of whom extended mention is made in the biography of Gen. R. C. Schenck, on another page of this volume. In 1822, James Findlay Schenck received an appointment as cadet at the United States Military academy, at West Point, N. Y., where he remained for about two years; but in consequence of some trouble with one of the tactical officers, resulting from certain reports which had been made against cadets by that officer, and of his subsequent actions respecting these cadets and deemed by them to have been conducted in a spirit of injustice, Cadet Schenck and several others tendered their resignations. On March 1, 1825, Mr. Schenck received an appointment as midshipman in the United States navy, and in the following August was ordered to the sloop Hornet, of the West India squadron. In March, 1827, he was detached and ordered to the Natchez, which vessel had been fitted out ;at the Norfolk navy yard, under special instructions from the navy department, to join the West India squadron for service against pirates, which infested those waters at that time. While serving with the vessel on the south side of the island of Cuba, in July, 1828, two schooners and a sloop were fitted out to aid the Natchez in her operations against the pirates. The latter vessel, the Surprise, with thirty men, was for some time under the command of Mr. Schenck. In November, 1828, he was detached from the Natchez and ordered to the Peacock, of the same squadron, and in December, 1829, he was ordered to the Brandywine, then lying at the New York navy yard, under orders to join the same squadron, which vessel reached Havana on April first following. In July, 1830, Mr. Schenck was detached from the Brandywine and placed upon "waiting orders," and on June 4, 1831, he was promoted to passed midshipman, and in the following month ordered to the receiving-ship at Norfolk, Va., but in October following was detached and granted leave. In January, 1832, he was ordered to the frigate United States, then fitting out at the New York navy yard, whence he sailed to join the Mediterranean squadron on the 3d of July of that year, touching at Funchal, Lisbon, Gibraltar, and arriving at Port Mahon on the 26th of the following August. Here Mr. Schenck was transferred as the acting master to the frigate John Adams, she being short of officers. After the usual services upon this station he was, in March, 1834, detached and granted leave. He was commissioned lieutenant on December 22, 1835, and in June, 1836, was ordered to the Boston, then fitting out at Boston, Mass. The Boston sailed for Pensacola on July 10 of that year, for services in the West India squadron. From that vessel Lieut. Schenck was detached in September, 1836, and ordered to the St. Louis, and to the Constellation in July, 1837, and in May, 1838, he was detached and granted leave. In August, 1839, he was ordered to the Dolphin, Brazil squadron, where he served until July, 1840, when he was detached and granted leave. In November, 1841, he was ordered to the receiving-ship at New York, and in July, 1842, detached to the razee Independence, of the home squadron, and in December, 1843, was detached to the Preble, which vessel sailed from Boston for Pensacola and the West India squadron on January 24, 1844. On the 28th of June of that year Commander Freelon forwarded, with a very favorable and flattering indorsement, an application of Lieut. Schenck for leave of absence, and the following month he was detached and granted leave. In August, 1845, he was ordered to the frigate Congress, Pacific squadron, Commodore Stockton commanding, and as chief military aid to that officer, Lieut. Schenck landed and took possession of Santa Barbara and San Pedro, in California, and in the same capacity marched upon and was at the first capture of Los Angeles. This was during the war of the United States with Mexico. As the second lieutenant of the Congress, Lieut. Schenck was at the bombardment and capture of Guaymas, and at the taking of Mazatlan, in Mexico. In October, 1848, he returned from the Pacific squadron as bearer of dispatches, and was granted leave. In May, 1849, he was ordered to the command of the Pacific mail steamer Ohio, in which service he remained until granted leave of absence in December, 1852. He was promoted to the rank of a commander on September 14, 1853, and in April, 1857, was ordered to the command of the receiving-ship at New York. In June, 1858, he was placed on waiting orders, and in July, 1859, was ordered to the command of the Saginaw, of the East India squadron. In June, 1861, Commander Schenck was ordered by Flag Officer Engel to proceed with the Saginaw to Quimhon bay, in Cochin China, in the execution of certain duties, in the performance of which, after his vessel had thrice been fired upon from the fort at that point, he was compelled to reduce the Chinese fortifications. In February, 1862, after an application had been made by him to the secretary of the navy to be relieved from the command of the Saginaw, which vessel was not considered seaworthy, Commander Schenck was ordered home. This order was anticipated by him, however, and he arrived in New York on March 11 following, and on the 19th of the next month was placed in command of the frigate St. Lawrence, and at once proceeded to Hampton Roads, and assumed command of his ship on May 3, 1862, proceeding to join the West gulf blockading squadron. This vessel was soon found to be of little value for such duty, and was converted into a store ship and stationed at Key West. At his own request, made some months before, he was relieved from the command of the St. Lawrence on April 14, 1863. On October 6, 1864, he received the notification of his promotion to the rank of commodore, his commission dating back to January 2, 1863. October 6, 1864, he was ordered to command of the Powhatan, of the North Atlantic squadron, and assumed command of that vessel on the fourteenth day of the same month. The Powhatan took a prominent part in the two attacks upon Fort Fisher, N. C., under command of Commodore Schenck, who, in these attacks, also commanded the third division of the North Atlantic squadron. In March, 1865, Commodore Schenck, still in command of the Powhatan, was ordered to proceed to Key West. Previous to the departure of the vessel from Hampton Roads, however, he applied to be relieved from command of the vessel, which was done upon his arrival at Key West, and he was placed upon waiting orders. In November, 1865, he was ordered to command. the naval station at Mound City, Ills., and in the following November was detached and placed on waiting orders. This was his last. assignment to duty, and on June 11, 1869, having reached the age of sixty-two years, he was, in accordance with the law governing the navy, placed upon the retired list. July 18, 1870, he was promoted to the rank of rear-admiral on the retired list, but to date from September, 1868, his promotion having been unjustly delayed by permitting another officer above him to remain on the active list without warrant of law. Upon his retirement Admiral Schenck returned to Dayton, where he had for many years maintained a home, and here spent the remainder of his life, after having devoted upwards of forty-four years of it to the service of his country, most of which was spent on duty at sea. The death of Admiral Schenck occurred on December 21, 1882.
Admiral Schenck was married at Smithtown, Long Island, N. Y., in 1829, to Dorothy Ann Smith, a descendant of Maj. Richard Smith, the patentee of Smithtown, Long Island. The issue of this marriage was as follows: Sarah Smith, Jane Findlay, Caspar and Woodhull Smith.
During the years passed by Admiral Schenck in Dayton, after his retirement from active service, his home was the center of attraction for many of the city's most prominent men, who were drawn to him by those splendid qualities of mind and heart which marked him both as a fine public character and as a worthy private citizen. His personal characteristics of bluff speech and uncompromising directness of judgment only added strength to his rare social attributes. He was the true friend and beloved associate of many men of the later generation.
Dayton cherishes the memory of James Findlay Schenck, not only as a loyal servant of his country, but as a strong man, a good citizen and a valued factor in the social life of this community.
DANIEL C. LARKIN, [pages 221-222] chief of the fire department of Dayton, was born in Sandusky, Erie county, Ohio, July 29, 1849, and is a son of Thomas Larkin, who was born in Connecticut. Thomas Larkin was one of six brothers who came west together in 1824, three of them settling in Sandusky, Ohio, the other three going further and locating in Detroit, Mich. Thomas Larkin was a locomotive engineer for more than thirty years, and lost his life in an accident, his locomotive exploding June 5, 1875, about two miles from Sandusky. His wife was Ann Ryne, who was born in Ireland, and who came to the United States when a child, with her two sisters, and died in 1893.
Daniel C. Larkin was reared in Sandusky, and received his education in the public schools of that city. After leaving school he learned the trade of a machinist, serving an apprenticeship of three years. He then began firing a locomotive running between Sandusky and Dayton, being promoted to engineer three years later, his route lying between Sandusky and Dayton, on the C., S. & C. railroad. For three years afterward he ran a locomotive on the C., C., C. & I. railroad, between Cincinnati and Dayton. In 1875 he retired from the road and took charge of a number of teams in Dayton, doing draying for large firms in that city, continuing thus engaged until 1880, in which year he was appointed chief of the Dayton fire department, a position which he has held ever since. This was at the time of the organization of the present board of fire commissioners.
Mr. Larkin was married May 26, 1875, to Hannah A. Hartnett, of Dayton. This lady, a daughter of Morris and Julia (Hern) Hartnett, natives of Ireland, was born in Dayton, Ohio, January 10, 1856, and has blessed her husband with seven children, viz.: Morris D., assistant secretary of the Dayton fire department; Thomas, a student of Saint Mary's institute of Dayton; John, Alice, Helen, Francis and David. Mr. and Mrs. Larkin are members of Saint Joseph's church, and Mr. Larkin is a member of Iola lodge No. 83, Knights of Pythias, which was instituted March 24, 1875, and also of the society of Elks.
A brief review of the growth and improvement of the Dayton fire department is appropriate in this connection, as it is in point of fact, a history of the great success of the life of Mr. Larkin. When he took charge of the department in 1880 it had eleven horses, while now it has thirty-six. It then had six hose reels, and now has thirteen new, improved hose wagons. At that time it had two old engines, and now has four engines, two of which are new. It had then but one hook and ladder truck, where now it has three. There were then only thirty-five fire alarm boxes, while today there are 122, with the Gamewell fire-alarm system. In 1880 the department owned but 2,000 feet of good hose, and 4,000 feet of that which was inferior. Now it has 25,000 feet of good hose. It had six engine houses, three of which were unfit for the service. Now it has twelve engine houses, nine of them new and of modern construction, and the appointments for quick hitching to the engines are complete, seconds being required now instead of minutes as then. At the time Mr. Larkin took charge there were eighteen regular firemen, and thirteen subject to call; now there are seventy regular men and five call men. Many other improvements, which it would be tedious to enumerate, have been made and put in operation in the department, all tending to rapid and efficient service. In the first year Mr. Larkin had charge of the department there were sixty-five fires, and during the year 1895 there were 342. In 1875 there were forty-six; in 1880, sixty-five; in 1885, 103; in 1890, 138; in 1895, 342, and in 1896, 353. The citizens of Dayton are certain that they have one of the best fire departments in the country, the improvements in its equipment and administration being a source of great pride in the entire community. Mr. Larkin is treasurer of the International Fire Chiefs' association, having held this position for twelve years; and in 1895 he was made president of the Fire Chiefs' association of Ohio. He is likewise a member of the Great Britain Fire Brigade union, is president of the Firemen's Benevolent society, and secretary of the Firemen's Relief fund.
Chief Larkin's personality is so closely identified in the public mind with the recognized excellence and efficiency of the fire department, that it is impossible to discuss the latter without giving large praise to the man who has given the best years of his life in its service.
WILLIAM E. CRUME, [pages 222-224] vice-president and general manager of the western department of the Carter-Crume Manufacturing company, and a representative citizen of Dayton, is a native of Ohio, having been born at Collinsville, Butler county, on March 26, 1848. The ancestors of Mr. Crume came from Wales to America during the latter part of the seventeenth century and settled in Maryland, from which state his paternal great-grandfathers, Jesse Crume and Mathew Richardson, came to Ohio in 1802 and settled in Butler county. Jesse Crume shortly afterward removed to Kentucky, where he spent the balance of his life, while Mathew Richardson remained in Ohio and served in the state legislature in 1804 and 1806. The great-grandfathers of Mr. Crume on the maternal side were James Martin, a native of Maryland, and David Steel, a native of Ireland. The paternal grandparents of Mr. Crume were John C. Crume, who came from Kentucky, his native state, to Hamilton county, Ohio, in 1810, but returning to Kentucky, died therein 1815; and Sarah Richardson, who came with her parents from Maryland to Ohio in 1803. The maternal grandparents of Mr. Crume were David Steel, a native of Scotland, and Nancy Martin, a native of Ireland. The father of Mr.. Crume was William H. Crume, who was a native of Kentucky. He came to Ohio about 1830, locating in Butler county; where he lived many years. His death occurred in Dayton in 1882.
William E. Crume was reared in Butler county, Ohio, where he resided until he enlisted in the late war, with the exception of two years spent at Muscatine, Iowa, where his parents removed in 1858. He attended the common schools, and secured a good English education, his school days being brought to a close by his enlistment when he was sixteen years of age, on May 1, 1864, in the 167th regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry. He was mustered out of this regiment in September of that year, and February 2, 1865, re-enlisted in the 184th regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry. He was mustered out of service at Nashville, Tenn., on October 3, 1865, with rank of corporal. Returning to Butler county he remained there until the following year, when he came to Dayton and learned the trade of carpentering and building with Andrew Slentz. He pursued that business until 1873, when he began the manufacture of wooden boxes, which proved very successful, and was, in fact, the foundation of the establishment with which he is at the present time connected. In 1877 he organized the firm of Aulabaugh, Crume & Co., the other members of which firm were P. M. Aulabaugh and J. W. Sefton. After the death of Mr. Aulabaugh in 1880, the firm became known as the Crume & Sefton Manufacturing company, which continued until 1893, when it was amalgamated with four other concerns, engaged in a like manufacturing business, and became the Carter-Crume company, with works at Niagara Falls, N. Y., Toronto, Canada, Saginaw, Mich., and Dayton, Ohio, Mr. Crume holding the position of vice-president of the company and general manager of the western department of the same. Mr. Crume has other business interests of importance, and is a director in the Fourth National bank.
Politically, Mr. Crume has always been a member of the republican party, and has for years been active and prominent in its councils. While his career has been a business one, and he has in no sense sought public office or political honor, yet he has been frequently recognized by his party and fellow citizens. In 1892 he was a delegate to the republican national convention at Minneapolis, and in 1896 was a delegate to the republican national convention at St. Louis, and is usually a delegate to the county, district and state conventions of his party. In 1876 he was elected to the Dayton city council, re-elected in 1878 and 1880, and was chosen vice-president of that body in 1881. He was appointed to a position on the board of police directors, of Dayton, in 1892, for a term of four years, and in 1896 was re-appointed for another term of four years. In 1894 and 1895 Mr. Crume was president of the board, where his services have been of great value to the city, as during his terms the existing efficient police department was inaugurated. Mr. Crume is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Knight Templar and a Scottish rite Mason.
Mr. Crume has long been recognized and considered one of Dayton's leading, progressive and representative citizens. As a man of large business affairs he has exhibited talents of more than the ordinary. The business with which he is connected and which has .enjoyed so prosperous a career, was originated and founded by him, and it was by his guiding hand that it was made successful. Personally, Mr. Crume is one of our most popular citizens, his geniality, progressive ideas, and liberal views winning him a large circle of friends and admirers. In the business world he ranks among the substantial men of the city.
On January 18, 1870, Mr. Crume was married to Mary C. Slentz, who was born near Dayton, Ohio, and is a daughter of Andrew Slentz, who was a prominent contractor of the city. To Mr. and Mrs. Crume the following children have been born: Emmi I., wife of John P. Lytle, of Dayton, Ohio; Lola H., wife of Harrie P. Clegg, of Dayton; William H;, Roscoe A., and Eleanor J.
RICHARD P. BURKHARDT, [pages 224-227] president and manager of the Stomps-Burkhardt company, Dayton, Ohio, was born in the grand duchy of Baden, Germany, October 28, 1845, and is a son of Joseph Anthony and Theresia (Berberich) Burkhardt, who came to America in 1850, with their family of seven children, and settled in Dayton, where the mother died July 9, 1869, and the father August 6, 1880, at the age of eighty-three years.
Joseph Anthony Burkhardt descended; from a family of business men who held sway for generations in Baden as prominent in their various callings. For a number of years Joseph A. Burkhardt was burgomaster of his native city, and on coming to this country followed his business in Dayton, from which business he retired, with a competency, in 1858. To Joseph Anthony Burkhart and wife were born eight children, of whom the eldest, Frank Stephen, was the first to come to America, leaving his parents and family of seven children to follow, and he still keeps his residence in Dayton; Theresa, the second born, died in California, the wife of John Huberty; Gertrude is the widow of Joseph Burkhardt, deceased; August died in California; John V. also died in that state; Mary H. is the wife of Nicholas Sacksteder, of Dayton; Mark A. is a druggist of the same city, and Richard P. is the youngest born.
Richard P. Burkhardt was in his fifth year when the family came to Dayton, and was educated in the parochial school and in Saint Mary's institute until twelve or thirteen years old, when he engaged as an errand boy in the cabinetmaker's union, at $1.25 per week, for one year; he was next apprenticed for two and one-half years at the cabinetmakers' trade, with Philip Haverstick; he then entered the employ of M. Ohmer, as clerk, and remained in that position until his employer's place of business was destroyed by fire, in May, 1869; he next traveled for a few months as an introducer of a patent bed bottom, and for five months afterward was employed as clerk in the dry-goods store of H. V. Perrine. He then purchased the interest of Martin Brabec in the firm of G. Stomps Brothers & Company. One month later the firm name was changed to that of G. Stomps & Company, under which style business was carried on for twenty-one years, when, on January 1, 1890, it was merged into a joint stock concern under the title of the Stomps-Burkhardt company, Mr. Burkhardt during the interval, having had charge of the general office work and finances of the firm. On the formation of the stock company Mr. Stomps was made its president, and Mr. Burkhardt vice-president and general manager; the year following this action Mr. Stomps was called from business cares by death, and Mr. Burkhardt became president; Gustave Stomps, vice-president and treasurer; J. M. Kramer, secretary; and R. P. Burkhardt, Jr., superintendent.
When Mr. Burkhardt first became a member of this concern, its annual financial transactions amounted to an average of $30,000; the business now done reaches from $250,000 to $300,000 per year; the plant has a frontage of 200 feet on First street aside from the space allotted to warerooms, and the number of people employed is 235. The output of the firm reaches all points in the United States, Canada and Mexico, and the superiority pf the wares is fully shown by the demand for them all over this extensive territory.
The marriage of Richard P. Burkhardt took place November 21, 1871, with Miss Mary Adelaide Stomps, daughter of Gustav Stomps, and to this marriage were born six children, of whom one died in infancy; Richard P., Jr., is alluded to in a preceding paragraph; William M. is a traveling salesman in the factory of which his father is the head; Mary A., Catherine T. and Ellanore E. are at home with their father. Of these children, the eldest, Richard P., Jr., was married, November 21, 1894, to Miss Emma Bauman, and to this union has been born one child—R. Waldron. R. P. Burkhardt was bereft of his wife by death, May 12, 1893, she being then but little over thirty-nine years of age. She was a faithful Catholic in her religious faith and all the family are members of the same church.
In politics Mr. Burkhardt is a true democrat, and was a member of the first board of tax commissioners of Dayton. He is what is usually called a self-made man in mercantile matters—in other words, his knowledge of trade and his natural astuteness, industry and honesty have led to his present business prosperity; while he is honored and esteemed for his breadth of mind and public spirit, by the entire community wherein he has earned a well-merited success.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page