CHARLES EDWARD KINDER, [page 997] post-master of Miamisburg, Ohio, and editor and proprietor of the Miamisburg News, was born in this place October 30, 18 59. His parents, John E. and Elizabeth (Clark) Kinder, were natives respectively of Franklin and Miamisburg, Ohio, and his paternal grandfather, George Kinder, was born in Fayette county, Pa. George Kinder came to Ohio, settling in Franklin with his parents, in 1802. Here in after years he was a prominent contractor, building six miles of the Miami canal, also a portion of the Cincinnati & Dayton turnpike, and for many years ran a line of boats on the Miami canal. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Schnorf, was born near Lebanon, Ohio, in 1802.
John E. Kinder, father of Charles E., was reared in Franklin, where he learned the trade of harnessmaker, and was postmaster of that village for several years. About 1857 he removed to Miamisburg, where he was for some years engaged in milling. During the late Civil war he was a member of company E, One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and was honorably discharged at the expiration of his term of service. His wife, Elizabeth Clark, was born in Miamisburg, Ohio, in 1832, and was a daughter of Nelson and Sarah (Tapscott) Clark, who settled in Miamisburg in 1825. Nelson Clark was a gun manufacturer of note, a natural botanist, a practical chemist, an inventor and musician, and died in 1859. Joseph Tapscott, father of Sarah Tapscott, came from New Jersey, and was the founder of what is known as the "Jersey settlement." His wife, Anna Schenck, was also of a prominent New Jersey family. John E. Kinder reared a family of five children, as follows: Anna E., Charles E., Mary E., Sallie, wife of Herman F. Cellarius, and Bertha E.
Charles E. Kinder was educated in Miamisburg, graduating from the high school in 1874. After his graduation he spent five years in the printing office of his uncle, George D. Kinder, at Ottawa, Ohio. In 1880 he started the Miamisburg News, and of this paper he has ever since been the editor and publisher. In 1885 he was elected mayor of Miamisburg, an office which he resigned in 1886 in order to become postmaster of that town, retaining his latter position until 1889. In February, 1892, he was again elected mayor of Miamisburg, and in 1894 again resigned to become postmaster of the place. This office he still holds, and is giving satisfaction to the people in his administration of its duties. Fraternally, Mr. Kinder is a royal arch Mason, and a Knight of Pythias, and in politics is a democrat. He is one of the best citizens of the community in which he lives, and that he possesses the confidence of all is sufficiently evident from the trusts he has held by election and by appointment.
FRANKLIN KLEPINGER, [pages 997-999] a farmer of Randolph township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and a grandson of one of the original pioneers, sprang from Pennsylvania-Dutch stock. His grandfather, John Klepinger, was born in Pennsylvania, January 31, 1774, and on December 31, 1799, married Elizabeth Benkard, who was born September 27, 1778. John and Elizabeth Klepinger were the parents of the following children: George, born October 19, 1800; John, born May 26, 1802; Jacob, born April 9, 1804; Henry, born June 8, 1806 ; Anna Maria, born May 23, 1808 ; Isaac, born July 10, 1810; William, born October 13, 1812 ; Sarah, born October 28, 1814; David, born May 14, 1817 ; and Samuel, born August 1, 1819. John Klepinger and his wife moved to Montgomery county, Ohio, about 1807, settling in Madison township. Later they removed to Indiana, locating near La Fayette, on the Tippecanoe battle ground. He and his wife were members of the German Baptist church and brought up their large family to be good and respected members of society. Mr. Klepinger died October 20, 1830, at the age of fifty-six years, eight months and twenty days.
John Klepinger, father of Franklin, was about five years old when he came to Ohio with his parents. He was reared a farmer boy, brought up to all kinds of pioneer experiences, and on April 22, 1830, married Elizabeth Boyer, who was born near Harper's Ferry, Md., July 20, 1808. Her father, Samuel Boyer, came to Ohio, settling at an early day in Randolph township, Montgomery county, and was a successful farmer and honored pioneer citizen. John Klepinger and his wife, Elizabeth, were the parents of the following children: Amos, born January 15, 1831; Franklin, born August 23, 1832 ; Newton, born February 20, 1834; Matilda, born October 14, 1835 ; Harriet Ann, born April'27, 1837; Samuel, born June 7, 1839 ; Harvey, born February 22, 1842 ; John, born September 5, 1846; and Oliver, born November 29, 1854. Mr. and Mrs. Klepinger, after their marriage, settled in Randolph township, about one mile south of the farm upon which their son Franklin now lives. John Klepinger purchased a farm of 161 acres, upon which he lived for many years. He greatly improved this farm in many ways, but especially by the erection of good buildings, including a substantial brick house. He was a man well known to all for many miles around as a straightforward and honorable citizen. He was a carpenter by trade and erected many houses in the county in which he lived. Politically, he was a republican, and he and his wife were members of the German Baptist church. Two of his sons, Harvey and Samuel, were soldiers in the late Civil war, Samuel served three years in the Sixty-third Ohio volunteer infantry and participated in many battles. Harvey was in the three months' service. Mr. Klepinger was a thoroughly practical farmer and a prosperous man, and enjoyed the high regard of the entire community.
Franklin Klepinger was born August 23, 1832, as above stated, on his father's homestead. Like most of the farmers' boys of that day, he received only the limited education of the district school, and began very early to learn the sterner lessons of an active farm life. He put in many a day mowing grass with the old fashioned scythe and in cradling grain with the old fashioned cradle. Beside farming he learned the carpenter's trade, and was unusually skillful in the use of all kinds of tools.
On May 5, 1861, he was married to Miss Anne Hisey, daughter of Martin and Elizabeth (Engle) Hisey. To this marriage there were born three children, as follows: Martha, who died at the age of ten years; David, who died at the age of twenty-one years, and William, who died at the age of three months. Mrs. Klepinger died May 5, 1866, and on February 4, 1868, Mr. Klepinger married Mrs. Annie D. Syler, a widow who was born November 29, 1836, in Miami county, and is a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Long) Dohner. John Dohner, father of Mrs. Klepinger, was a son of Joseph Dohner, who came from Germany, settling in Lebanon county, Pa. His children were as follows: Christ, Moses, Jacob and John. The father of these children was a substantial farmer in Pennsylvania, in which state he died, a member of the Mission church.
John Dohner, the father of Mrs. Klepinger, was born November 5, 1794, in Pennsylvania, and was, on March 5, 1816, married to Elizabeth Long, in Lebanon county, Pa. They were the parents of the following children: Susannah, born December 16, 1816; Joseph, born March 25, 1818; John, born December 18, 1819; Christian, born December 24, 1821; Moses, born November 22, 1823; Elizabeth, born February 10, 1826; Nancy, born March 22, 1828; Frances, born November 22, 1829; Lydia, born June 14, 1833; Jacob, born February 10, 1835, and Annie D., born November 29, 1836. John Dohner came to Ohio, locating in Miami county, in May, 1835, settling on 160 acres of land, which he cleared of its timber, and added thereto another 160 acres. This land he distributed among his boys, giving his daughters money instead of land. In religious belief he was a member of the church of the River Brethren, a good and upright man, a minister in the church for many years, and he brought up his children in the way that they should go. His character was beyond reproach, and when he died at the age of sixty-three years he was mourned by the entire community.
Annie D. Dohner was first married September 6, 1857, to John G. Syler, a farmer of Miami county. Her children by this marriage were as follows: Frances, who died at the age of fourteen years; Emma, who died when ten months old; and Harvey, who died at the age of three years. Mr. Syler died May 7, 1866, a member of the "New Light," or Disciple church.
Mr. and Mrs. Klepinger have had the following children: Harriet Ellen, born October 30, 1868, and died June 9, 1869; Ida Jane, born March 25, 1870, and died March 9, 1894, a married woman; Aaron Webster, born July 23, 1872; John Allen born December 9, 1874; and Warren Perry, born September 17, 1877. Mr. Klepinger is a member of the German Baptist church and Mrs. Klepinger a member of the church of the River Brethren. Politically Mr. Klepinger is a republican, but is not an office seeker in any sense of the term. Beside his home farm of 100 acres in Randolph township, he owns a farm of 197 acres in Clay township, upon which there are a good brick house and other valuable improvements. He is well known for his honesty and straight-forward character, and is held in much esteem as a neighbor and a citizen. Aided by his faithful wife, he has reared an excellent family of children, bringing them up to ways of industry and right living.
JOHN B. KOEPPEL, [pages 999-1000] a well-known business man of Germantown, Ohio, was born in Baden-Baden, Germany, June 25, 1838, a son of John B. and Elizabeth (Kutz) Koeppel. His father was an agriculturist, and our subject was reared on a farm until fourteen years of age, receiving a common-school education. At the age mentioned he was apprenticed to the baker's trade, served one and a half years, and afterward worked as a journeyman in the principal cities of Baden until 1860, when he sailed for the United States. He located at Cincinnati, Ohio, and there, and in that vicinity, worked as journeyman until 1863, when he entered the employ of the government as a baker. He worked at Camp Dennison, at Cumberland Gap, Tenn., Stevenson, and Huntsville, Ala., and continued in the government service until Lee's surrender at Appomattox, in 1865. He then returned to Cincinnati, remained there until July 15, 1866, when he located at Germantown, where he embarked in business for himself, in which he has met with marked success. In 1880 Mr. Koeppel erected a fine double brick business block, which was destroyed by fire in 1886, but was rebuilt by him at once. He occupies both stores in his business, one as a bakery, grocery and confectionery, and the other as a cafe and billiard parlor.
In May, 1864, Mr. Koeppel was married to Anna M. Coyne, of Ireland, and has six children living—Elizabeth (Mrs. James B. Kelly), Robert, Joseph, Oliver T., Ada, and John B., Jr. Mr. Koeppel and his wife are members of the Catholic church, and in politics he is a democrat. His life has been characterized by persistent industry, with shrewdness and sound judgment, and his present prosperity is the result of his own unaided exertions. He is a public-spirited citizen and always ready to assist any enterprise calculated to benefit the city of his adoption.
LEONARD S. KRAUSS, M. D., [page 1000] the well-known young physician and surgeon of West Carrollton, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Cecil county, Md., February 5, 1852, and is a son of John H. and Margaret Abigail (Harlan) Krauss, who were respectively of German and Irish descent.
Leonard Krauss, paternal great-grandfather of the doctor, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and captain of a company in the war of 1812. For several years he was a resident of Lancaster county, Pa., whence he moved to Cecil county, Md., where he was engaged in the mercantile business, and where he died in the ninety-ninth year of his age. The paternal grandfather of Dr. Krauss, who was also named Leonard, was a native of Cecil county, Md., and the maternal grandfather, Solomon Harlan, was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania.
Leonard S. Krauss, whose name opens this biography, was educated academically at Mount Pleasant academy and at the Friends' Normal institute, both in Cecil county, Md. In 1873 he began the study of medicine, and in 1877 was graduated from Washington university, Baltimore, Md.; in the latter year, also, he began the practice of medicine in his native county, and for three years met with a flattering success. In 1880 he came to Ohio and located in Germantown, Montgomery county, where he was associated for two years with Dr. V. B. Stevens in the practice of dentistry. In 1883 he removed to West Carrollton, where he has since resided, engaged in the active and successful practice of medicine. In 1895 he took an ad eundem course and was awarded the degree of doctor of medicine by the Ohio Medical university at Columbus.
The marriage of Dr. Krauss took place in July, 1882, with Miss Irene A., daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Banker) Kercher, of Germantown, Ohio. The father of Mrs. Krauss was a cooper by trade, was a resident of Germantown for many years, and there died in 1862; the maternal grandparents of Mrs. Krauss, Solomon and Mary Ann (Coon) Banker, were natives of Maryland and Kentucky respectively, and were pioneers of Butler county, Ohio. To Dr. Krauss and wife have been born four children, in the following order: Harlan, Henry, Leonard and Louella. The doctor is a member of the Presbyterian church, and fraternally is a member of the K. of P., I. 0. 0. F. and the A. 0. U. W.; he is also a member of the Montgomery county Medical society and of the Ohio state Medical association. In politics he is a democrat. He and his family stand very high socially, and as a physician he stands in the front rank of the profession in Montgomery county.
CHARLES S. KURTZ, [page 1001] blacksmith, of Sunbury, German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in this village May 16, 1863, and is a son of Lemuel S. and Catherine (Grimes) Kurtz, both natives of the same township.
Peter Kurtz, his paternal grandfather, was a native of Maryland, but was a pioneer cooper of Sunbury, Ohio, and here carried on his trade for many years prior to his death. To him and his wife, Sarah (Keister) Kurtz, there were born three children, named respectively, in order of birth, Lemuel S.; Barbara, who was married to William Boore, and David.
Lemuel S. Kurtz, father of Charles S. Kurtz, was born in Sunbury about the year 1840, was here reared to manhood and here learned the coopering trade under his father. His wife, Catherine (Grimes) Kurtz, is a daughter of Cornelius and Sarah (Gunckel) Grimes, well-known and respected people of German township. To Lemuel S. and Catherine Kurtz have been born three children: Charles S., Leroy and Sarah—the last named being now deceased.
Charles S. Kurtz was educated in the common schools of Sunbury, and here served an apprenticeship of three years at the trade of blacksmithing with the Swartzle Bros., and after having served his apprenticeship was, for three years, in business with that firm. Being thoroughly a master of his trade, Mr. Kurtz, in 1888, established a shop of his own in his native village, and soon secured a patronage that justified him in employing two assistants. He has enjoyed a constantly increasing business ever since its inception.
Mr. Kurtz was married, in 1887, to Ida Emrick, daughter of Daniel and Josephine (Long) Emrick, of well-known families of Sunbury. Mr. and Mrs. Kurtz are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Fraternally, Mr. Kurtz is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of Pythias; in politics he is a democrat, but has never sought public office. He is respected as mechanic, man and citizen, and is well deserving of the esteem in which he is universally held.
BENJAMIN KRUG, [page 1001-1002] a well-known farmer of Montgomery county, and the head of a respected family, sprang from sturdy Pennsylvania-Dutch stock. His grandfather was Frederick Krug, who came from Germany to America shortly after the war of the Revolution, being at that time about nineteen years of age and single. Marrying in Pennsylvania, he settled on a farm in Lancaster county, where were born the following children: Henry, Daniel, Samuel, Frederick, John, Elizabeth, Mary and Barbara. In addition to cultivating his farm, Mr. Krug was a tailor and followed that trade. He lived all his remaining days in Lancaster county, Pa., his farm being about nine miles south of the present city of Lancaster. He was a member of the Mennonite church, a man of good character and correct and useful life.
Henry Krug, father of Benjamin, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., married in that county, and had four children by his first wife, two of whom died young, those surviving being Susan and Elizabeth. The mother of these children having died, Mr. Krug married Miss Elizabeth Huber. By this marriage he had the following children: John, Benjamin, Mary, Frances, and Esther. Mr. Krug was a member of the Mennonite church, an honest and hard-working man, and of a kindly disposition which won him many friends. His death occurred when he was about fifty-five years of age.
Benjamin Krug was born in Lancaster county, Pa., December 4, 1829. Schools not then being very numerous or very good he received but little education, and was early apprenticed to the wagonmaker's trade, serving in this relation three years. Afterward he worked one year at Martinsville and two years at Conestoga Center, and then for some time at journeyman's work at Leesburg, Pa., coming to Ohio in 1852 or 1853. Locating in Randolph township, Montgomery county, he worked for some time at farming. On March 31, 1859, he married Susannah Herr, born in Lancaster county, Pa,, and daughter of Samuel and Mary (Bowman) Herr, for fuller mention of whom the reader is referred to the biography of Henry Herr, elsewhere in this volume.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Krug settled on the Herr homestead, soon afterward purchasing the Warner homestead, and living on the latter place for thirteen years. This farm Mr. Krug still owns, having greatly improved it by careful cultivation and by erecting good buildings of various kinds. At the expiration of the period named he removed to the old Herr homstead, consisting of about ninety-four acres, and which was received by Mrs. Krug from her parents. This farm, also, Mr. Krug has managed judiciously, erecting thereon, as one of the many improvements made by him, a substantial brick house. Mr. Krug is a member of the Mennonite church, as was his wife, who died January 2, 1884, an excellent woman in every way and a devoted worker in the church. She was a woman of many virtues, a good wife and mother, and was greatly lamented by Mr. Krug and the children. These were as follows: Leander J., Ann J., Jennie A., Charles F., Minnie I., and Leroy B. Three others were born and died young, one of them, Emma F., dying when nine years of age.
Mr. Krug has led a life of active industry, beginning without possessions and with but limited education. All his life he has followed the path of rectitude and honesty and has always striven to exercise a wholesome influence, not only at home upon his own children, but also as far as possible upon those with whom he came in contact.
ABRAHAM M. LANDIS, [pages 1002-1003] one of the substantial and progressive farmers of Montgomery county, whose farm lies in Randolph township, is a son of one of the original pioneers of Madison township. His father, whose name was also Abraham, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., and was of Pennsylvania-Dutch ancestry. He was a descendant of one of the original German Baptist settlers, who came in very early times from Germany. He was a farmer by occupation, and married, in Pennsylvania, Mary Miller, by whom he had the following children: Sallie, who died when young; Jacob, Samuel, Elizabeth, Daniel, Polly, Catherine, Nancy, Leah, Susannah, Abraham M., John, Lydia, and Michael. Thus it will be seen there were fourteen children in all, an old-fashioned pioneer family.
After the birth of his son Daniel, Mr. Landis moved to Ohio, settling near Canton, in 1818. After remaining there a few years he came (in 1821) to Montgomery county, Ohio, locating in Madison township, and buying land for $4 per acre. Afterward he bought more land, until he became the owner of ninety-five acres. This land he himself cleared up from the woods, and made it into a good farm and home for his family. Upon this little farm he passed the remainder of his days, dying when seventy-seven years of age. In his religious views he agreed with the German Baptists. He was a hard-working man, honest and industrious, and brought up his boys to believe that hard work is honorable. He was a man of strong character, and left to his children the heritage of a good name.
Abraham M. Landis, with whose name this sketch opens, was born in Madison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, August 2.2, 1829. Reared a farmer, he received the common-school education of those primitive days, and learned the lessons of labor from his early boyhood. When twenty-four years of age he married, in Randolph township, August 26, 1854, Lydia Overholtz, who was born on her father's farm in that township. She is a daughter of Jacob and Catherine Overholtz. Jacob Overholtz was born in Pennsylvania, of Pennsylvania-Dutch stock, his father being one of the pioneers of that state. Jacob Overholtz settled on the farm now occupied by Mr. Landis, which then contained 151 acres of land. He was a member of the German Baptist church, and an upright and respected citizen. His children were as follows: Mary, Susannah, Rosie, Catharine, Lydia, Sallie, Rebecca, John, and Lila, the last two dying young. Mr. Overholtz lived on his farm until his death, at seventy-seven years of age.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Landis settled first near Trotwood on twenty acres of land, which he purchased. Four years later they removed to the Overholtz homestead, upon which they have since lived, with the exception of one year, during which they lived in Miami county, Ohio, returning to the Overholtz farm on the death of Mr. Overholtz, in 1866 or 1867. Mr. Landis purchased this farm, and has since then greatly improved it by judicious cultivation, as well as by the erection of substantial farm buildings. He has been a careful and economical manager, and, in addition to the Overholtz farm, has purchased 104 acres in Randolph township. Mr. and Mrs. Landis are members of the German Baptist church. He gave one acre of land on which to erect the church of his denomination, and has always been liberal in its support. At the time of its erection there were but fourteen members, while now there are about sixty. Mr. Landis also aided to build the old Salem district church, being a member of the building committee. He has been a deacon of his church for twenty-five years, and is a sincere Christian gentleman, who has earned the esteem of his neighbors by a consistent and useful life. His children are as follows: Sarah, Alice, Austin, Harvey, Ella (who died at the age of twenty years), and Jesse.
JOHN MARTIN LEFEVRE, [pages 1003-1004] a well-known farmer of Van Buren township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Washington county, Md., August 21, 1834. He is a son of Isaac and Ann (Martin) Lefevre, the former a native of Maryland, and the latter of Virginia. Isaac and Ann Lefevre were the parents of nine children, four sons and five daughters, five of whom are still living, as follows: Mary Elizabeth, wife of Joseph Bigger; John Martin; William H., whose biographical sketch appears on page 1004, this volume; Isaac M., a farmer of Washington township, and Augusta, wife of George Van Doren.
When a young man Isaac Lefevre learned the tanner's trade, but always followed farming for a livelihood. In 1836 he came to Montgomery county, Ohio, lived in Dayton one year, and then bought a farm of ninety-seven acres in Washington township, upon which he lived fourteen years. Afterward he purchased a farm of 200 acres in sections 34 and 35, upon which latter farm he lived until his death, which occurred in January, 1895, in his eighty-ninth year. His wife had died in 1888 at seventy-five years of age. Both were members of the Reformed church. Mr. Lefevre was a trustee of his township for several terms.
Isaac Lefevre's father, John Lefevre, was a native of Maryland, and died in that state when in middle life. He had a family of seven children. The father of Ann (Martin) Lefevre, George Martin, was also a native of Maryland, of English ancestry, a farmer by occupation, and died in Maryland at middle age.
John Martin Lefevre was not quite two years old when his parents brought him to Ohio, and has ever since lived in Montgomery county. He was reared a farmer's boy, and received his early education in the district schools. Later he became a student in Wittenberg college, Springfield, Ohio, and there acquitted himself in a most creditable manner, although he did not graduate. When the boys attained their majority they together bought a farm of fifty-five acres, a portion of the Himes farm, which they jointly worked for one year. They then bought what is known as the George Lefevre farm, containing sixty-three acres, and also had active charge of their father's farm, all working in partnership until they were married.
October 14, 1875, Mr. Lefevre married Miss Millie Whipp, daughter of Jonathan and Catherine (Shank) Whipp. To this marriage there have been born four children, two sons and two daughters, as follows: John, who died in infancy; Charles M., Stella and Marie. Mr. and Mrs. Lefevre are members of the David's Reformed church, and of this church Mr. Lefevre is one of the deacons. Politically he is a democrat, and as such held the office of township assessor for twelve years. In 1890 he was assessor and land appraiser. He is now serving his second term as township trustee. His farm, containing 144 acres of land, is finely improved, and lies about four miles from Dayton.
Mr. Lefevre has lived in Montgomery county for sixty years, having occupied his present farm since the time when it was almost wholly covered with heavy timber. To the growth and development of the county which have taken place during that time, Mr. Lefevre has been not only an eye-witness, but also a valuable contributor. He carries on general farming, is industrious and thrifty, and has one of the best farms in the county—clean, well improved and productive. His buildings are among the most substantial anywhere to be found, and everything about the place has a neat and attractive appearance. Mr. Lefevre is a man of progressive ideas and tendencies, is genial, hospitable, and one of the best of neighbors, and a most affable gentleman. He is one of those whose religion is an everyday affair, carried without ostentation into his life and into all His associations with his fellow-men.
WLLIAM H. LEFEVRE, [pages 1004-1005] a prominent farmer of Van Buren township, Montgomery county, Ohio, whose farm lies in section 35, was born in Washington township, same county, May 14, 1837. He is a son of Isaac and Ann (Martin) Lefevre, the former of whom was a native of Maryland, and the latter of Virginia. Isaac and Ann Lefevre were the parents of nine children, four sons and five daughters, five of whom are still living, as follows: Mary E., wife of Joseph A. Bigger, of Dayton; John M., of Van Buren township; William H.; Isaac M., of Washington township, and E. Augusta, wife of George Van Doren, of West Carrollton.
Isaac Lefevre was a tanner in his youth, but in after life became a farmer. In 1836 he removed to Ohio from his native state, locating in Dayton, and in 1837 removed to Washington township, where he purchased a farm upon which he lived until 1850, when he sold it and bought the farm upon which his son, William H., now resides. Upon this farm he lived until his death, which occurred in January, 1895, when he was upward of eighty-eight years of age. His wife, who died in 1888, was seventy-five years of age. Both were members of the Reformed church, and Mr. Lefevre was frequently honored by his fellow-citizens with election to local offices, in which he rendered faithful and intelligent service.
John Lefevre, the father of Isaac Lefevre, was a native of Maryland, having been born in Washington county, that state, though his ancestry originally came from France. By occupation he was a farmer, and he served his country as a soldier in the war of 1812. He died in Maryland when about forty-five years of age. His wife, whose maiden name was Christina Household, survived him many years, and died at the age of eighty-five, during the progress of the late Civil war. They were the parents of eight children, four sons and four daughters. His earliest ancestors in this country emigrated from France in 1667, and were of Huguenot extraction.
The maternal grandfather of William H. was John Martin, who was a native of England, and came to this country when quite a small boy with his father, who settled in Virginia, and followed farming in Berkeley county, that state. There John died in middle life. He, too, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and reared a family of six children, two sons and four daughters.
William H. Lefevre has all his life lived in Montgomery county, the first thirteen years having been spent in Washington township, the rest in Van Buren township. His education was received in the district schools of these two townships, and afterward he attended school in Dayton. He remained at home on his father's farm until he was thirty years of age. When the children became of age they managed the farm together, and shared in the profits. In 1868 William H. sold his interest in the business and began traveling for the agricultural implement company of Warder, Mitchell & Co., with whom he remained in this capacity for eight years, having charge of their exhibit at the centennial exposition in Philadelphia in 1876. After this he became traveling salesman for the Farmers' Friend Manufacturing company, of Dayton, soon buying an interest in the business, and remaining with that company for twelve years, at the end of which time the concern sold out to the Stoddard Manufacturing company. After his father died Mr. Lefevre purchased the old homestead and is now again occupying it at his home. It contains 194 acres of land, and is highly improved. Mr. Lefevre has never married. He has seen the development of the county and of the city of Dayton, and has contributed largely to the growth of both. He is a member of the Reformed church, and in politics a democrat. He has served as treasurer of Van Buren township, and in the spring of 1896 was elected justice of the peace without any effort or solicitation on his part.
Mr. Lefevre has had large experience in the business world as a traveling salesman and is a good judge of human nature. He is of a genial and happy disposition, unusually popular with all who know him, and is a worthy representative of one of the oldest and best families of Montgomery county.
SAMUEL LINDERMUTH, [pages 1005-1006] farmer, of German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in this township December 30, 1833, a son of Thomas and Maria (Tobias) Lindermuth, natives of Berks county, Pa. Both his grandfathers, Jacob Lindermuth and John Tobias, were of German descent, and natives and farmers of Berks county, Pa., where they lived and died.
Thomas Lindermuth, who was born April 12, 1791, came to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1824, and soon afterward purchased 136 acres of land in German township, cleared and improved it, and resided there until his death, January 13, 1870. His children were Mary (Mrs. Samuel Bussard), Joseph, Margaret (Mrs. Samuel Snavely), Elizabeth (Mrs. Joseph Linebaugh), Michael, Catherine (Mrs. Isaac Fox), Samuel, Caroline (Mrs. Charles Denius), and Rachel.
Samuel Lindermuth was reared on the homestead, where he was born, and resided there until 1866; he received a common-school education, and began life as a farmer, which vocation he followed up to 1888, when he practically retired from active business. He has occupied the farm where he now resides, one mile west of Germantown, since 1866, and made all the improvements thereon. He married September 3, 1857, Maria, daughter of John and Christina (Emrick) Stiver, and granddaughter of Michael Emrick, who settled in German township in 1804. Mr. Lindermuth and wife are members of the Lutheran church, Mr. Lindermuth has been a director of the Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance association since 1889. In politics he is a democrat.
TOBIAS KUHNLE, [pages 1006-1009] a very prosperous farmer of German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, February 2, 1840, and is a son of Philip A. and Margaret (Schuster) Kuhnle, who came to America in 1854 and settled near Germantown, Ohio.
Philip A. Kuhnle was born in 1806, and on coming to Montgomery county, Ohio, engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1893. To himself and his wife Margaret, were born the following-named children: Frederick, Tobias, Gottleib, Philip, John, Christina (Mrs. John Penrod), Elizabeth (Mrs. John Van Horn), Susan (Mrs. Ira Clark), and Catherine (Mrs. Henry Van Horn).
Tobias Kuhnle, up to the age of fourteen years, had been educated in the excellent common schools of his native country, and on reaching America continued his studies in the public schools of Montgomery county, Ohio, and to the knowledge here acquired he has added largely by self-application. He was reared to farming on the homestead which his father had purchased on coming to this county, and from his early manhood devoted his attention to general agriculture, making a specialty, however, of the culture of tobacco. In February, 1865, he enlisted in company D, One Hundred and Eighty-fourth Ohio volunteer infantry, in which he served until honorably discharged in September of that year.
The marriage of Tobias Kuhnle took place, in 1864, to Miss Lydia J. Knouse, daughter of Joseph and Lydia (Oswald) Knouse, of German township. To this marriage have been born three children, Elmer E., Frank and Flora—the last named being the wife of E. A. Poe. The family are of the Lutheran-faith in religion. In his societary relations Mr. Kuhnle is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. In politics, he is a democrat, has held several of the minor offices of his township, and in 1896 was elected a trustee. He has always held the confidence of his fellow-citizens of German township, and is esteemed as one of the substantial men of Montgomery county.
WILLIAM LEIS was born in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, November 20, 1838, a son of George and Salome (Leis) Leis. His paternal grandfather, John Peter Leis, a native of Pennsylvania, lived and died in Berks county, that state, and after his death his widow, formerly Catherine Reiser, came to Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and died here. The maternal grandfather of William Leis, also named John Peter Leis, a native of Berks county, Pa., settled in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1836, and engaged in farming—the parents of William coming the same year and engaging in the same vocation. The children of George Leis were named John A., William, Rebecca, Peter and Ella (Mrs. George Long).
William Leis was reared in Miami township, where he has always resided. He was educated in the common schools, and has followed farming as an occupation. He married, December 23, 1862, Rachel, daughter of Henry P. and Sarah ( Eagle) Treon, of Miami township, and has five children, who are named Edward C., Agnes A. (Mrs. Joseph Kehrle), William A., Ida J. (Mrs. Henry Gunter) and George A. Mr. Leis is a member of the Reformed church, while his family are Lutherans. He is secretary of the Miami township Vigilant society, member of the Miami township Mutual Fire Insurance company, has been a trustee of Miami township since 1883, and in politics is a democrat. He is an industrious and progressive farmer, has made a success of his calling, and has attained a high position in the esteem and friendship of his neighbors. He never hesitates to lend a helping hand to all worthy undertakings, and is charitable in his disposition, as well as liberal in his aid to the support of churches and schools.
FRANK LIESENHOFF, [pages 1009110] a representative citizen of Miamisburg, and a successful merchant, and member of the firm of E. Liesenhoff & Co., was born in Westphalia, Prussia, March 6, 1833. He is a son of Franz and Regina (Lug) Liesenhoff, and was educated in his native country. There he served a three years' apprenticeship to the tailor's trade, at which as a journeyman he worked from 1849 to 1856, in which latter year he embarked in business' for himself at Hoerdt. There he remained in business for five years, and in 1862 sailed for the United States, landing in Portland, Me., where he was engaged with his friend, William Koehling, for two years in the merchant tailoring business. In 1864 he came to Ohio, and in July of that year located in Miamisburg. where he has since resided. Here he at once engaged in the merchant tailoring and men's furnishing business, in which he continued alone until 1892, when he admitted his son, Edward, into partnership, and since that time the business has been conducted under the firm name of E. Liesenhoff & Co.
Mr. Liesenhoff was married, in 1857, to Lizetta Meinholt, of Germany, who bore him three children—Edward, Carl G., and Lena, who died in childhood, and soon after the birth of the last child, Mrs. Liesenhoff died. His second wife was Sophia Linkersdorfer, of Cincinnati, by whom he has one daughter, Emma, now the wife of Clayton 0. Shupert. Mr. Liesenhoff is a Mason, and in politics is a democrat.
Edward Liesenhoff, son of the above, was born in Hoerdt, Germany, November 5, 1857. In 1865 he located in Miamisburg, and here grew to manhood, receiving his education in the Miamisburg public schools, and in the commercial college at Dayton, Ohio. After serving a four years' apprenticeship at the cutter's trade he located, in 1879, at Franklin, Ohio, where he conducted a merchant tailoring business for three years. Thence he removed to Middleton, and there remained nine years engaged in the same business. Since January, 1892, he has been a member of the firm of E. Liesenhoff & Co., merchant tailors, clothiers, and dealers in men's furnishings in Miamisburg.
Edward Liesenhoff was married August 31, 1881, to Anna May Brigham, daughter of William and Tilly (Thompson) Brigham, of Carlisle, Ohio. By this marriage he has three children, viz: Frank, Elsie and Hazel. Mr. Liesenhoff is a member of the Lutheran church, and is a Free & Accepted Mason. His business establishment is one of the most successful of its kind in the country, and Mr. Liesenhoff ranks among the reliable and valued citizens of Miamisburg.
THOMAS VENARD LYONS, SR., M. D., [pages 1010-1011] deceased, of Miamisburg, Montgomery county, was born in Clear Creek township, near Springboro, Warren county, Ohio, January 20, 1829, of Irish parentage. Thrown upon his own resources when but eight years of age, he worked upon a farm from that time until he was nineteen, receiving his education in the public school, as well as under a private tutor, Thomas Dixon, a prominent Scotch instructor in his day. In 1849 Mr. Lyons began the study of medicine with Dr. Jacob Smizer, of Waynesville, Ohio, and was graduated from the Eclectic Medical institute, at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1851. On March 4, of the same year, he located in Miamisburg, where he began the active practice of medicine and thus continued with unusual success until 1891, a period of forty years, when he retired from active and regular practice, except for the accommodation of his friends and old patrons in office business. He died October 6, 1896.
During his residence in Miamisburg he was prominent, and even foremost, in any enterprise calculated to promote the best interests of the town, dealt largely in real estate in the town and vicinity, and was the owner of several farms and also twenty-five tenement houses in Miamisburg, beside his fine residence, which stands on East Linden avenue. Dr. Lyons was one of the organizers of the Ohio Paper company, of Miamisburg, in 1879, and was interested in it for several years, serving for some time as its president. He was one of the organizers of, and a stockholder in, the Miamisburg Binder Twine & Cordage company, and was its president during its existence. He was also a stockholder in the Enterprise Carriage Manufacturing company, of Miamisburg, and one of the founders of the Citizens National bank, of which he served as vice-president from its incorporation, in 1893, up to his death.
Dr. Lyons was twice married, his first wife having been Elizabeth A. Null, daughter of Henry and Mary (Gebhart) Null, of Warren county, Ohio. By this wife he had four children, of whom one, Howard B., M. D., survives. His second marriage was with Amanda R. Mays, daughter of Col. Samuel and Caroline (Richardson) Mays, of Miamisburg, by whom he had one child, Thomas V. Lyons, Jr., cashier of the Citizens' National bank, of Miamisburg. During the late Civil war Dr. Lyons was appointed captain of a company raised in Miamisburg for the service of the government, but at the earnest solicitation of friends and of the people, who thought that, by reason of his medical experience and skill, he was more needed at home than at the front, he resigned his commission and remained at home, patriotically treating the families of the Union soldiers free of charge until the close of the war.
Dr. Lyons was a member of the First Reformed church of Miamisburg; of Marion lodge No. 18, I. 0. 0. F., of Miamisburg; of the Odd Fellows encampment and the Daughters of Rebekah, and was a charter member of the Knights of Pythias lodge, No. 44, and of Ruth Temple, No. 10, Rathbone (Pythian) Sisters, of Miamisburg. For many years prior to his retirement from active practice he was a member of the Miami valley Eclectic Medical association, was its president for several years, and he was also a member of the Ohio state Eclectic Medical association. Politically Dr. Lyons was always a republican, and served as mayor of Miamisburg four years, as a member of the city council eighteen years, and as a member of the board of education nine years. He stood high in the esteem of the people of the county and was one of its worthy representative citizens.
HORACE BENTLEY LYONS, M. D., [page 1011] was born in Miamisburg, Ohio, June 13, 1856, a son of Dr. Thomas V. and Elizabeth A. (Null) Lyons. He was graduated from the Miamisburg high school in 1874, began the study of medicine with his father in 1875, and was graduated from the Eclectic Medical college, Cincinnati, in 1877. He at once formed a partnership with his father, with whom he practiced his profession in Miamisburg for nineteen years. Dr. Lyons is identified with many of the leading industries of Miamisburg, is a director in the Kauffman Buggy company, a director in the Miamisburg Twine & Cordage company, a stockholder in the First National and Citizens' National banks of Miamisburg, a director and Stockholder in the Miamisburg Electric company, and is also interested in other enterprises.
The doctor was married October 23, 1884, to Miss Hattie, daughter of William D. and Letitia (Thirkield) Schenck, of Miamisburg. Fraternally he is a Knight of Pythias and in politics is a republican, although he has never been a partisan in the office-seeking sense of the word. In his business relations his name stands without a flaw, and he is regarded in social life with the same respect that is accorded him in business and professional circles.
THOMAS VENARD LYONS, JR., [pages 1011-1012] cashier of the Citizens' National bank, of Miamisburg, was born in the Gem City, August 9, 1869. He is a son of Dr. Thomas V. and Amanda R. (Mays) Lyons, the former of whom was a prominent and enterprising citizen of Miamisburg and also a successful physician, of whom full mention is made in a preceding biographical notice. Mr. Lyons was reared to manhood in his native city, was educated in its public and high schools, and graduated from the latter in 1887. In 1890 he began his business career as book-keeper for the Miamisburg Binder Twine & Cordage company, continuing in that position for one year, and afterward, until 1893, looked after his father's varied business interests. He was then appointed messenger for the Citizens' National bank, from which position he was promoted, through his own merits, to the place of bookkeeper, and later to that of cashier, which position he still holds. He is a stockholder and a director in the bank, and also in the First National bank of Miamisburg, and a stockholder in the Miamisburg Twine & Cordage company.
Mr. Lyons was married November 14, 1895, to Ida M. Gamble, daughter of William and Samantha (Hoover) Gamble, of Miamisburg. He is in religion a member of the First Reformed church, and, fraternally, is a member of the Knights of Pythias, is quarter-master of the Fourth regiment, and holds the rank of captain of the uniform rank of Knights of Pythias of the state of Ohio. Politically, he is a republican, and in business and social circles maintains a high standing for integrity and honorable dealing with his fellow-men. His business ability is of a high order, and through the possession of this admirable quality has risen to a position which few men of his years have been able to attain.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page