DANIEL FRANTZ, [pages 1097-1098] one of the wealthy pioneers of Madison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, descends from Pennsylvania-German stock. His grandfather, Christian Frantz, moved from Berks county, Pa., to Botetourt (now Roanoke) county, Va., where he bought a farm and was successful as an agriculturist. He was a member of the German Baptist church, in the faith of which he died at a very old age, leaving four children—Michael, John, Christian and Henry. The youngest of this family, Henry Frantz, was born in Berks county. Pa., went with his father to Botetourt county, Va., there married Mary Kinsey, and became the father of the following family: Christian, Daniel, Susan, Polly, Annie, Elizabeth, Sallie, Lydia and Hettie.
Henry Frantz, in the fall of 1825, came from Virginia to Ohio with his family, conveying his personal effects in a four-horse wagon and Mrs. Frantz riding a saddled horse. After a journey of three weeks they reached Madison township, Montgomery county, and here Mr. Frantz purchased 160 acres of wild land, developed a good farm and passed the remainder of his days, dying in the fall of 1840, at the age of sixty-seven years, and leaving behind a name that his descendants still recall with pride.
Daniel Frantz was born in Botetourt county, Va., February 7, 1813, and was about thirteen years old when he came to Montgomery county, Ohio, with his parents. He received little or no education, as there were no district schools at that day, but was inured to all the hard labor pertaining to a frontier farm, yet found frequent recreation in shooting wild turkeys and squirrels, and occasionally made trips into Darke county for deer. His first marriage was with Salomie Radabaugh, of Harrison township, Montgomery county, a daughter of Adam and Catherine Radabaugh, to which union were born five children, of whom two are deceased, and three—Maria, Catherine and Lucinda—are still living. The mother of these children was called from earth May 23, 18 53, aged nearly forty-one years, and Mr. Frantz next married Miss Susan Arnold, who was born in Perry township, Montgomery county, a daughter of John and Barbara. (Friend) Arnold, and to this union there were born three children—Ananias, Ira and Alice. Mrs. Susan Fraptz died December 2, 1891, a member of the German Baptist church.
Mr. Frantz has always been a hard-working, industrious farmer, and after his first marriage rented a forty-acre tract in Madison township, then bought his present farm of 15 5 acres, added seventy-five acres, and by thrift and economy continued to accumulate until he now owns nearly 600 acres. Although Mr. Frantz was uneducated, he was yet a good manager and possessed of keen business perceptions. He reared his children in respectability, educated them well, and has been able to endow them with land and money as they entered upon the duties of life on their own account. In politics he is a republican, and at the age of eighty-four years retains his faculties to a remarkable degree and has an extraordinarily retentive memory.
Ira Frantz, son of Daniel and Susan (Arnold) Frantz, was born on the homestead in Madison township, September 5, 1857, and lent ready assistance in his early manhood to the development of the home farm. He was fairly well educated in the common schools. and was married in Randolph township, April n, 1880, to Miss Elizabeth Sollenberger, who was born November 6, 1859, in the same township, a daughter of John and Catherine (Teffley) Sollenberger. Mr. Sollenberger was born in Pennsylvania, and when a boy was brought by his father, Jacob Sollenberger, to Montgomery county, Ohio, and became a substantial farmer of Randolph township. His children were named Elizabeth, Jacob, John, David, Aaron, Moses, William and Henry. Mr. Sollenberger was also a German Baptist minister, and died in March, 1892.
Mr. and Mrs. Frantz, after marriage, settled on the old homestead, Mr. Frantz having been presented by his father with 164 acres of land, which he has converted into a first-class farm, and to this he has added, through thrift and good management, sixty-nine acres, now owning 233 acres of fine farming land, all in one body. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Frantz has been blessed with two children: Marion A., born September 15, 1881, and Loretta B., born September 24, 1886. In politics Mr. Frantz is a republican, and has served as a member of the school board of Randolph township. He is a thoroughly practical farmer, is public spirited and prompt to aid in all enterprises designed to promote the public welfare, and enjoys the high regard of the entire community.
DANIEL GARRISON, [pages 1098-1099] farmer, of Washington township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in this township, on the farm upon which he now lives, August 20, 1834. He is a son of Daniel and Catherine (Metterd) Garrison, the former of whom was a native of the Red Stone country, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Maryland. They were the parents of four children, all sons, three of whom are still living: George, Daniel and Jacob. The second son of the family, Jonathan, is dead.
Daniel Garrison, the father of these children, was a blacksmith by trade, came to Ohio about 1819, and lived in Butler county for about five years. Then, removing to Montgomery county, he settled on the farm on which his son Daniel was born. His first purchase was of three acres only, and to this he added by successive purchases, from time to time, until he owned more than 100 acres at the time of his death, which occurred November 1, 1866, when he was sixty-six years of age,. He and his wife were members of the Lutheran church, in which he held the office of deacon. She survived him until 1877, when she died, at the age of seventy-eight.
The paternal grandfather of the subject, Jonathan Garrison, was of German descent and a native of Pennsylvania. He followed the occupation of farming, came to Ohio at an early day, reared a family of twenty-seven children, by three wives, and died near Middletown. The maternal grandfather, George Metterd, was also of German descent, and a native of Maryland. He came to Ohio in pioneer days and settled in Miami township. He was a cabinetmaker by trade, and likewise followed farming. He reared a family of seven children, and died in Washington township when eighty years of age.
Daniel Garrison was reared on the farm upon which he now lives, and on which he has lived all his life. His education was received in the district schools, and after he became of age he purchased a piece of land containing five and a half acres, to which he has added from time to time until he has now eighty acres, beside the home farm.
On February 15, 1857, he was married to Miss Martha Maze. To this marriage there have been born four children, viz: Rachel, Emma, Albert and Frank. Rachel married Clyde Barclow, and lives in Germantown. She and her husband have three children, Cecil, Glenn and Everett. Emma married Edward J. Bennett, and died in April, 1895. Albert died when three years of age.
Mrs. Daniel Garrison was in early life a member of the Lutheran church, but at the time of her death she was a Presbyterian, as is Mr. Garrison. Politically he is a democrat. His life has been one of industry and thrift, and he has well earned his standing as a useful and reliable citizen.
JOSEPH HOUS, [page 1099] farmer, of Perry township, Montgomery county, who is descended from one of the early pioneers of the county, was born in Preble county, Ohio, September 22, 1844. He is a son of Andrew and Mary (Richard) Hous, who gave him the best education obtainable in the district schools. Reared a farmer, he adopted that vocation for a livelihood, and married, November 27, 1868, in Perry township, Miss Eliza A. Hansbarger, who was born July 20, 1852, on the homestead of her parents, Andrew and Hannah (Wogoman) Hansbarger. Andrew Hansbarger, her father, was a son of John and Elizabeth (Niswonger) Hansbarger, the former of whom was born in Virginia, and moved to Montgomery county, Ohio, as one of the early pioneers, settling in Perry township in the fall of 1833. He cleared up his farm from the dense woods, and it is on this farm that Joseph Hous now lives. He was one of the most substantial farmers of his time. His children were as follows: Ephraim, George, Henry, Stephen, Elizabeth, Sophia, and Caroline, beside Andrew. John Hansbarger lived to be somewhat over seventy years of age.
Andrew Hansbarger, the father of Mrs. Hous, was born in Virginia in 1823, and came with his father to Montgomery county in 1833. He was the father of six children, as follows: Ephraim, Sabina, Eliza, Elizabeth, John, and Daniel, the latter of whom died young. Mr. Hansbarger was one of the leading farmers of his township, owning 160 acres of land, the old Hansbarger homestead. He died when but thirty-nine years of age.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hous settled on the Hansbarger homestead, eighty acres of the old farm, where they now live, and which they have greatly improved. Mr. Hous has always been a careful and practical farmer, and is looked upon as one of the representative men of his community. He and his wife have had one child, Minnie, who on December 25, 1889, married Hugh Weaver. She died when twenty-two years of age, leaving one son, Otto H., born on the homestead, November 18, 1890. Politically, Mr. Hous is a stanch democrat.
MICHAEL HUSTON, [pages 1099-1100] a successful farmer of Van Buren township, Montgomery county, was born in Greene county, Ohio, eight miles from Dayton, April 24, 1837. He is a son of William and Elizabeth (Swigart) Huston, the former of whom was born a short distance north of Dayton, and the latter in Greene county, Ohio. William and Elizabeth Huston were the parents of five children, three sons and two daughters, two of whom are now living, Michael and John. William Huston was reared on the farm north of Dayton, and grew to manhood in Montgomery county. After his first marriage he removed to Greene county, and lived there until his death, in June, 1894, when he was eighty-six years and five months old. His wife died in 1850. They were both, when young, members of the Lutheran church, but later became members of the German Reformed church. For his second wife he married Mrs. Caroline Mayhew, whose maiden name was Burke. By his second marriage he had one child, William F. Mrs. Huston, by her former marriage had a son, John B. Mayhew, and a daughter, Matilda, who died in young girlhood.
The paternal grandfather of Michael Huston was John Huston, an old Indian trader, who was in the early days at the post of Colerain, and at Fort Meigs. He was a native of Ireland, but was reared in Highland county, Ohio. He and his wife were the parents of sixteen children, and he at his death was buried at South Whitley, Ind. The maternal grandfather, Michael Swigart, was a native of Pennsylvania, of German ancestry, and came to Ohio at an early day, settling in Greene county, where he acquired 1,200 acres of land. He was twice married, and when he died was upward of eighty-six years of age.
Michael Huston was reared on the farm in Greene county, which adjoins the farm he now owns in Montgomery county. He followed farming until he was nineteen years of age and then learned the carpenter trade, following that trade until the breaking out of the late Civil war. In 1864 he enlisted in company K, One Hundred and Thirty-ninth Indiana volunteer infantry, and served six months. After the war he returned to his home in Montgomery county and resumed farming, which occupation he has followed ever since. He began by renting 100 acres of his father, which later fell to him in accordance with his father's will.
On July 27, 1870, he married Martha M. Morgan, daughter of Merrill Morgan and Jane (Allen) Morgan. To this marriage there were born three children, Harry G., Belle and David Franklin, all of whom are living at home. Mrs. Huston died in 1886, a member of the United Brethren church. Mr. Huston belongs to the Old Guard post, No. 23, G. A. R., of Dayton. Politically he is a republican, but has never sought office of any kind. During his entire life of fifty-nine years he has lived within about eight miles of Dayton. He has always been a man of high standing among his fellow-citizens, and is one of those in whom all place confidence.
REV. AMOS HYRE, a member of the old German Baptist church, is a grandson of one of the pioneers of Montgomery county. His grandfather, Wesley Hyre, was from North Carolina, and was an original pioneer, settling in Madison township at a very early day. At the time of his arrival in this county, the land was almost entirely covered with timber, so that his first home here was in the forest, from which he cleared his farm. He and his wife reared the following children: Wesley, Solomon, Isaac, Moses, Abraham, Absalom, Daniel, Belinda and Nancy. The head of this family lived to a great age. In religion he was a member of the German Baptist church.
Moses Hyre, fourth child of Wesley, was the father of Amos Hyre. He was born in Madison township, Montgomery county, March 19, 1819. By trade a bricklayer, he also ran a sawmill in company with his brother, Absalom. His wife, whose maiden name was Rebecca Stoner, was a native of Frederick county, Md., and a daughter of William and Elizabeth Stoner. Their children were named William, Amos, Sarah and Susan. After his marriage Moses Hyre settled on land in Madison township, upon which he spent the rest of his life, dying when seventy-three years of age. A man of high character and a member of the German Baptist church, he stood well in the estimation of the community.
Rev. Amos Hyre was born March 14, 1846, in Madison township, and in his youth received a common-school education. At the age of twenty-one he married Miss Mary Denlinger, who was born in Madison township, September 14, 1843, and is a daughter of Abraham and Margaret (Miller) Denlinger. Soon after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Hyre settled on seventy-six acres of land, his present farm, which was at the time only partially cleared. This farm he has greatly improved by systematic cultivation and by the erection of good buildings. To Rev. Mr. Hyre and his wife there have been born the following children: Jennie, Edwin E., Abraham W., Mazie E. and Orpha. Beside these, who are all yet living, there were born several others, who have died. Mr. Hyre has been a deacon in the German Baptist church since December, 1881, and a minister of the church since April 28, 1882, since which time he has been earnestly engaged in preaching the gospel to the people. He is one of the most worthy men in Montgomery county, and stands high among those who know him not alone for his devotion to his calling, but also for his sterling character as a man and citizen.
JESSE P. KIMMEL, of Trotwood, Ohio, a successful farmer of Madison township, is a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Montgomery county. Fuller mention of the Kimmel family will be found in the biography of Aaron Kimmel, in this volume.
Louis Kimmel, father of Jesse P., was born in Somerset county, Pa., August 24. 1804, and was a son of David and Barbara (Kroner) Kimmel. The founder of this family in America was David Kimmel, the grandfather of Louis Kimmel, he coming to this country from Switzerland in 1760. He settled in York county, Pa., and reared a family of eight children, as follows: Abram, Jacob, Isaac, Philip, David, Solomon, Michael and Lizzie. Of this family, David was the father of Louis Kimmel, who was the father of Jesse P. Barbara Kroner, wife of David Kimmel, was born in Somerset county, Pa., and they were the parents of six children.
Louis Kimmel had but limited educational advantages, though he made the best use of such as he enjoyed. His father came to Montgomery county in 1817, and settled on land in Madison township, Louis living at home until his father's death, which occurred September 25, 1827. David Kimmel was a Jacksonian democrat, and a member of the German Baptist church. His wife died November 28, 1840, a devout member of the same church with her husband. Louis Kimmel married, August. 28, 1828, in Clay township, Mary Niswonger, who was born May 26, 1808, the daughter of Levi Niswonger. Mr. and Mrs. Kimmel became the parents of twelve children, as follows: Michael, Sarah, Eliza. Joseph, Barbara, Mary, Susan, Levi S., Ellen, Jesse P., Louis C., and Charles, all of whom lived to mature years except Eliza, and all are now living except Eliza, Michael and Charles. Louis Kimmel settled on his father's old homestead, where the soldiers' home is now located, and assisted in clearing up the farm from the woods. He lived on this homestead, which originally consisted of 200 acres, and to which he added by thrift and industry until he owned 450 acres. Mr. and Mrs. Kimmel were members of the German Reformed church. Mr. Kimmel was a democrat of the Jacksonian type, and a typical pioneer. He lived to be about seventy-four years old, dying in 1878.
Jesse P. Kimmel, the subject of this sketch, was born May, 27, 1846, on the old homestead, and received the usual common-school education of the day. Reared a farmer, he adopted that occupation as his life work, and on March 28, 1869, he married, at Dayton, Ohio, Catherine Lingle, who was born November 8, 1847, in Miami township, a daughter of Daniel and Anna Mary (Long) Lingle.
Daniel Lingle was of Pennsylvania-Dutch stock, and when a young man came to Montgomery county, Ohio. He was a shoemaker by trade, and married Anna Mary Long, March 10, 1842. She was born June 14, 1812, at Annville, Pa., and was a daughter of Henry and Catherine (Grebil) Long. Henry Long moved by wagon as a pioneer to Montgomery county, Ohio, settling in West Dayton, where he entered 200 acres of land and cleared up a fine farm. He and his wife became the parents of the following children: Henry, Jacob, Christopher, Anna Mary, Katie, Susan and Barbara. Mr. .Long was a substantial farmer, a member of the River Brethren church, and lived to a good old age. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Lingle settled on land in Van Buren township, where he worked at his trade until his death, which occurred in middle life. His children were Amanda and Catherine, and others who died in their infancy or youth.
Mr. and Mrs. Kimmel settled on land in Madison township, and at length he purchased a farm of 123 acres, to which by good husbandry he has added other acres, and made an excellent farm. He erected an attractive farm residence and other buildings, and now has one of the pleasantest homes in the township. His children are Edward B. and Ida M. Politically Mr. Kimmel is a democrat. Edward B. Kimmel, a farmer of Montgomery county, married, February 22, 1894, Susan Beachley, and Ida M. married Frank James, an attorney at law of Dayton, Ohio.
EDWARD FRANKLIN NEWCOM, [page 1102] farmer, of Van Buren township, Montgomery county, was born February 7, 1858. He is a son of Edward and Cynthia (Irvin) Newcom, both of whom were natives of Ohio. Edward and Cynthia Newcom were the parents of seven children, two sons and five daughters. Four of the seven children are still living, as follows: Irene, wife of Christian F. Rohrer; Caroline, wife of William Richmond; Lucy, wife of Oliver Roop, and Edward Franklin.
Edward Newcom was a farmer and stock dealer, and lived his entire life on the old farm, in Van Buren township. He died March 23, 1882, at the age of sixty-seven years. His wife is still living on the old place. She is a member of the United Brethren church.
Edward Newcom, the paternal grandfather of Edward F., was a native of Ireland, came to America with his parents when a boy, married here and reared a family of nine children, The maternal grandfather, Moses P. Irvin, was a native of North Carolina, and left that state with his parents when he was nine years old, they settling in Washington township, Montgomery county, Ohio, where he grew to mature years. There he continued to reside until his death, in 1861, when he was seventy years of age. His wife, whose maiden name was Rachael Tibbies, died about six years before her husband.
Edward Franklin Newcom lives on the old farm upon which both he and his father were born. This farm now contains 160 acres of land. On January 12, 1887, he married Miss Nettie C. Prugh, daughter of Levi and Ruhama (Marshall) Prugh. To this marriage there have been born three children: Virgil, Noble and Essa. Mr. Newcom, in politics, is a republican, but is in no sense of the word an office-seeker. He is a member of one of the oldest and best known families in the county, and is a progressive thinker and farmer.
GEORGE OLDT, [pages 1102-1104] postmaster of Beavertown, was born in New York city June 5, 1839. He is a son of George J. and Catherine (Kuntz) Oldt, the former a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and the latter of Rheinbrein, Germany. They were the parents of two children—Catherine, now deceased, and George. George J. Oldt was a shoemaker by trade, and came to the United States in 1833, locating in the city of New York, and for some time working as a journeyman. About 1846 he removed to Pennsylvaniasburg, Ind., where he carried on the shoe business until his death, at the age of sixty-four years. His wife survived him for some two years, and died at the age of sixty-two. Both were Christians, he a member of the Lutheran church and she of the Catholic church. The paternal grandfather, George Oldt, was a miller by trade, had a family of four sons, and died in Germany. The maternal grandfather had a large vineyard, kept a public house, and also died in Germany.
George Oldt removed to Indiana with his parents, grew to manhood at Pennsylvaniasburg, and there learned the trade of his father —the shoemaker's trade. Remaining at home until the breaking out of the Civil war, he enlisted in the Sixteenth Indiana volunteer infantry, and served thirteen months as corporal. At the end of this time he re-enlisted, in the Eighty-third Indiana volunteer infantry, company G, of, which company he was commissioned first lieutenant, served in that capacity one and a half years, and was then commissioned captain. In this position he served until the close of the war, his entire service covering something more than four years, from April, 1861, to June, 1865. His first engagement was at Chickasaw Bayou, where he suffered a gunshot wound in the left arm. After being for some weeks in the hospital at Paducah, Ky., he rejoined his regiment at Vicksburg. Going thence to Memphis he marched to Bridgeport, Ala., and was afterward in the battle of Missionary Ridge, that most remarkable battle of the war in one respect, having been won by the private soldiers against the orders of the commanding general. His next engagement was at Resaca, where he was wounded in the leg. He. was in nearly all the battles of the famous Atlanta campaign, being under fire more than two hundred consecutive days. From Atlanta he marched to the sea, and thence up through the Carolinas, and was within three days' march of Richmond when that place was surrendered to Gen. Grant.
Returning to his home after the war was over, Mr. Oldt was married, September 20, 1865, to Miss Helen Ratheuser, daughter of Frederick and Helen (Yink) Ratheuser. To this marriage five children were born, two sons and three daughters: George Frederick, Charles William, Emma, Annie and Ellen. George Frederick has been in the regular army for eight years, and Charles recently returned from the regular army, in which he had served three years. Emma married William Hiney, and lives with her family, consisting of husband and four children, in Dayton. The names of the children are as follows: Nellie, Frederick, George Calvin and Anna May. Annie married George Castenborder, of Dayton, and Ellen lives at home.
Mrs. Helen Oldt, first wife of George Oldt, and mother of the above-named five children, died in 1877, a member of the Catholic church. Mr. Oldt married, March 5, 1879, Miss Margaret Buehler, daughter of Mark and Margaret (Boyer) Buehler. To this second marriage there have been born four children, one son and three daughters, as follows: Frank, Gertie, Mary and Caroline. Mr. Oldt is a Lutheran in religion. He is a member of Earnshaw post, No. 590, G. A. R., and in politics. is a democrat. As such he has served as township clerk for nineteen years, and has recently been elected for another term. Under the first administration of President Cleveland h& was postmaster at Beavertown postoffice, and again served in that capacity under the second administration of President Cleveland; Having lived in Beavertown since 1867, he is one of the oldest as well as one of the most highly respected citizens of the place. His grocery store he has conducted for about eighteen years. Mr. Oldt is widely known throughout Montgomery and surrounding counties, and is as well known for his integrity as for his business capacity.
JOHN H. PLANDER, [page 1104] one of the substantial farmers of Perry township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born April 22, 1842, in Hanover, Germany, near Bremen, a son of Gerd A. and Adaline (Windhorst) Plander. The father, Gerd A., was born in the same place, where his ancestors had lived for generations. He was a farmer, but in humble circumstances, and worked at farm labor for the current wages paid able-bodied hands—six cents per day; but he was industrious and frugal, and managed to keep his family in comfort. He and his wife were the parents of John H., Margaret and Sophia (who died in Germany at the age of thirty years, the wife of John Voge). The father died at the age of seventy-six years and the mother at sixty-six, both in the faith of the Lutheran church.
John H. Plander was early trained to hard work, received the usual public-school education, and at the age of seventeen years began working for neighboring farmers, receiving for his first, year's labor $17. He so worked for several years, and the last year in his home neighborhood received $35 in gold; he then went to another part of the country, and for one year's labor was given his board and $40 in gold. In 1867 he came to America, sailing from Bremen in the steamer Atlanta, and arriving in New York September 13. He went to Cincinnati and then to West Alexandria, Preble county, Ohio; he worked in the latter-place four weeks, and then returned to Cincinnati, where he was employed for a time in the Eagle White Lead factory. Finding that this business was injurious to his health, he then worked in a foundry two and a half years; he then found employment with the Herman Lackman Brewing company, with which he remained twelve years, of which period he was for eight years its trusted collector—having the charge of six routes and collecting annually $350,000.
The marriage of Mr. Plander took place in West Alexandria, Ohio, February 28, 1868, with Miss Annie Maggie Sekamp, who was born in Germany April 8, 1848, and came to America in the same steamer with her future husband. To this marriage have been born two children—John F. and Harry A. April 19, 1883, Mr. Plander brought his family to Montgomery county and settled on eighty acres of improved land in Perry township, and to this he has added until he now owns 111 acres, and has a most pleasant home. He is largely engaged in the breeding of swine and poultry.
Mr. and Mrs. Plander are members of the Lutheran church at West Alexandria, of which Mr. Plander has been a trustee. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Honor, of Humboldt lodge, I. 0. 0. F., I. 0. R. M. and the A. P. A., all of Cincinnati. In politics he is a republican, and has served as judge of elections for three years. He is much respected for his straightforward methods of doing business and for his unswerving integrity of character.
CLARK PINE, [pages 1104-1106] formerly an active farmer, now retired, and living at Centerville, Ohio, was born in Miami township, Montgomery county, Ohio, December 23, 1831. His parents, Simeon and Sarah (Haines) Pine, were both natives of New Jersey. Six children were born to Simeon and Sarah Pine, as follows: Susan, widow of James Sheehan; Clark; Mary; Rachel, wife of Jeremiah Campbell; William and Charles.
Simeon Pine came to Ohio, in 1818, from New Jersey, walking all the way, and carrying his wallet on a stick. Upon arriving at Waynesville he had only his bull's eye watch, and thirty-seven cents in money. This was the sum total of his wealth, and the capital with which he began to make his way in life in this then wild western country. His first work was as a farm laborer, and his wages $8 per month and board. After some time spent in this way he began raising crops on other people's land, and at length purchased 164 acres of land for himself, one-half of which Clark Pine now owns. This purchase was made in 1836, and upon this farm he lived until 1855, when he died at the age of fifty-five. Simeon Pine was in politics a whig, was a believer in a tariff for protection and took great delight in discussing political questions. In religion he was a Quaker, as was also his wife, who survived him and who married a second time.
Samuel Pine, the paternal grandfather of Clark Pine, was a native of Camden, N. J. He was one of a large family, the members of which upon reaching their maturity scattered throughout the different states of the Union. Samuel, however, remained in New Jersey, became a farmer and died in his native state. He and his wife reared a large family, and they both died well advanced in years. The maternal grandfather, John Haines, was also a native of Camden, N. J., was one of the earliest of the settlers of Montgomery county, Ohio, lived some years in Washington township, and removed thence to Springboro, Warren county, where he died at an advanced age. He was married three times, all of his wives dying before him. In religion he was a Quaker, and by occupation a farmer. Clark Pine was reared in Montgomery county, and has lived in Washington township since 1836. He remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age, having in the meantime secured a good education in the district schools. Dreading an ax and a cross-cut saw more than almost anything else, he went to Dayton just before he was twenty-one years of age, and was examined for a teacher's certificate, which he was granted, and thereafter for three years he taught school in the winter season, working on the farm in the summer time. During this period his father died, and Clark, returning to the farm, was the main support of the family for some years.
Young Pine went to Cincinnati with the intention of learning bookkeeping, but being dissatisfied with that study and with the labor of keeping books, he returned to his home, where he taught school and carried on farming, in the manner related above, for three years. During this time he was unusually successful in his business management, as he not only paid off a debt of $1,000 of his father's, but also accumulated $ 1,000 for himself, all out of his one-third interest in the farm proceeds. For three years longer he continued to farm, and then purchased half of the farm of the heirs, on which there were no buildings. His portion he then improved, erected a house and other buildings, and still owns the half thus purchased. This farm lies one mile and a half south of Centerville.
On November 11, 1858, Mr. Pine was married to Theresa Miskelley, daughter of Robert and Mary (Jackson) Miskelley. To this marriage there have been born six children, as follows: Edwin, Robert, Lewis, Samuel K., Laura and Clara. Edwin married Susan Hannah and has two children, Dell and Elbert. Edwin is himself now farming on the old place. Robert is keeping store in Centerville; he married Laura Watkins and has one child, Herbert. Lewis, who lives on the Allen place, married Nettie Wilson and has two children, John and Ernest. Samuel K. is in the office of County Treasurer Sunderland, and is unmarried. Laura married William Elliott, and is deceased, and Clara is living at home.
Mr. Pine is in politics a republican, and as such was elected township treasurer of Washington township, in 1860, holding the office for thirty years in all, twenty-eight years in succession. He is serving as clerk of the township at the present time. For twenty years he has been notary public, and he has also served as justice of the peace several terms. For the past ten or eleven years he has lived in Centerville, where he had before lived two or three times at intervals, managing the store for two years and a half.
Mr. Pine has been one of the most prominent men of the county for many years, and has been honored by his fellow-citizens beyond the average of men. He belongs to one of the oldest families in the county, and is fully sustaining its reputation for all that constitutes good citizenship and an honorable manhood.
JOHN W. PRISER, [pages 1106-1107] whose post-office is Pyrmont, Ohio, and who is one of the thriving farmers of Perry township, is a grandson of one of the old pioneers of Montgomery county. His grandfather, Philip Priser, was born in Pennsylvania, and in that state married Mary Foutz, who was of German antecedents in Maryland. Philip Priser removed to Ohio in 1816, and settled on Bear creek, in Perry township, on 160 acres of land, but little of which had been cleared. The rest of his land he cleared and made a good home for his family. His children were as follows: Frederick, Michael, Daniel, Sarah and Mary. In 1832-33 a cyclone passed over his land, laying low a great deal of his timber, and barely missing his house, a double log cabin, in which fifteen people had taken shelter. Philip Priser was a member of the German Baptist church, and lived to be eighty-six years of age, dying at Sharpsburg. He was well known as one of the sturdy pioneers of Perry township, and a trustworthy, honorable man.
Michael Priser, the father of John W., was born in Pennsylvania, and came with his father to Ohio when he was sixteen years of age. In Perry township he married Sarah Flory, whose parents came from Germany. The ship in which they crossed the ocean was boarded by pirates, and robbed of all its supplies. They lost all the money they possessed and the grandmother died of fright.
To Mr. and Mrs. Michael Priser there were born five children: Barbara, Samuel, John W., Mary and Joseph. Mrs. Priser died in 1834, at the age of sixty-two years, and Mr. Priser again married, his second wife being Margaret Shepler, by whom he had one son, William. After the death of his second wife, Mr. Priser married Catherine Fiant, who was born in 1806, To this marriage there were born four children: Elizabeth, Daniel, James and Noah. Mr. Priser first entered eighty acres of land, which he afterward sold, and then entered eighty acres in Perry township, which latter he improved and made into a good farm and home. He was a member of the German Baptist church. His death occurred in 1875, at the age of seventy-five years, and his wife survived him eleven years.
John W. Priser, the subject of this sketch, was born March 27, 1830, in Perry township. Reared a farmer's boy, he became a farmer, and was married, October 5, 1851, in Preble county, to Miss Jemimah Wysong, who was born in November, 1829, and was a daughter of Charles and Margaret (Gustin) Wysong. Charles Wysong was of German ancestry and came from Virginia, and was a son of Jacob and Jemimah (Cottrell) Wysong. Jacob Wysong was one of the pioneers of Preble county, who settled there in the woods about 1818, and cleared up a farm of 160 acres. He was a member of the German Baptist church, ,and lived to be over seventy years of age. His children were as follows: Stephen, Charles, John, Joseph, Robert, Matthew, James, Elizabeth, Lydia, William, Henry, Jacob and Valentine. Mr. Wysong, father of Mrs. Priser, married Margaret Gustin, by whom he had the following children: Hannah, Harrison, Jemimah, Stephen, Lydia, Betsey, Rachael, Jacob, Margaret, Dorothy, Annie and Mary, the last of whom died in infancy. Mr. Wysong was engaged in sheep husbandry, and died in 1890. Politically, he was a democrat.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Priser settled in Perry township on a farm, and lived there until 1856, when Mr. Priser bought seventy-two acres of land, which he cleared of its timber and converted into a home. His children are as follows: Catherine, Benjamin F., John H., Rachael A., Joseph, Perry, Nora, Minnie and Mattie. Politically, Mr. Priser, though formerly a republican, is now a democrat. He has held the office of township trustee one year, and that of treasurer six years. He has also served as a member of the school board, and as justice of the peace four years. He has reared his children in such a manner that they have all won for themselves respectable positions in society, and they, like their parents, are esteemed for their many excellent qualities of mind and heart.
WILLIAM RICHMAN, [pages 1107-1108] farmer, of Van Buren township, Montgomery county, was born in Dayton, Ohio, September 22, 1830. He is a son of David and Ruth (Johnson) Richman, both natives of Salem county, N. J. David and Ruth Richman were the parents of four children, two sons and two daughters, William being the only one now living. They came to Ohio about 1826, driving over the mountains, and locating in Dayton, where Mr. Richman died in 1832. While living in the east Mr. Richman followed farming and ran a saw-mill, but after reaching Dayton he became a grocer. His wife survived until 1878, when she died at the age of seventy-six. She was a most exemplary woman, of strong character, and a member of the Universalist church.
Daniel Richman, the paternal grandfather of William, was a native of Salem county, N. J., and for some time served there as judge. He was the father of a large family and died at an advanced age. The maternal grandfather, Samuel Johnson, was also a native of Salem county, N. J., a farmer by occupation, the father of a large family, and lived to an old age. Both grandfathers were factors in the development of Salem county, and the memory of both is cherished until the present day in the county of their birth.
William Richman lived in Dayton, Ohio, until he was ten years old, removing then to Madison county, where he lived until 1874. For many years he was engaged in driving and leading horses over the mountains to Philadelphia, making three trips each year. In 1874 he removed to Van Buren township, Montgomery county, and bought a farm of 190 acres, known as the Clint Wilson farm, and lying directly across the road from his present home; this is owned by his wife, and contains seventy acres. Mr. Richman also has 320 acres in Madison county, and all three farms are finely improved. While Mr. Richman's education in his youth was but limited, yet by careful reading and thinking, and by wide and accurate observation of men and events, he has acquired a large fund of information and is one of the best-read man of his community.
September 15, 1874, he married Miss Caroline Newcom, daughter of Edward Newcom and Cynthia Irvin, his wife. To this marriage there have been born six children, two sons and four daughters, as follows: Edward N., Laura D., Dora, Estes, Ruth and Carrie. Edward N. is a bookkeeper in Buffalo, N. Y. The other children are living at home. Mr. Richman has been a successful man, having acquired what property he now owns by his own thrift and industry, aided by the efforts of his most excellent wife. The Newcom family is so well identified with the history of Montgomery county that it would be superfluous to here further allude to it.
DANIEL YIKE, [page 1108] a retired farmer of Van Buren township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Schuylkill county, Pa., December 22, 1822. He is a son of Daniel and Catherine (Faustenock) Yike, who were natives of Pennsylvania, and the parents of eleven children, five of whom are still living, as follows: Daniel; Rebecca, widow of Aquilla Parish; Catherine, wife of David Baughman; Elizabeth, widow of Frank Meek, and Abraham.
Daniel and Catherine Yike lived to be quite aged people, highly respected and honored by the pioneers who formed their acquaintance. Mr. Yike came to Ohio about 1836, and was one of the most useful of the early settlers, being a blacksmith by trade, as well as a farmer. He settled in Fairfield county, and there lived until his death, April 18, 1884, when he was seventy-five years of age. His wife lived four or five years after his death. They were members of the Christian, or, as it was then known, the New Light church.
The paternal grandfather of the subject, Daniel Yike, was a native of Germany, and upon emigrating to the United States, settled in the state of Pennsylvania, where he died at an advanced age. The maternal grandfather lived and died in the same state. Both these ancestors were industrious farmers, and both died in comfortable circumstances.
Daniel Yike, whose name opens this sketch, was about fourteen years old when his parents came to Ohio. For eight years he lived in Fairfield county, and then removed to Montgomery county, which has ever since been his home, though he traveled extensively in his youth in the United States and Canada. On February 28, 1853, he married Miss Elizabeth Parish, daughter of Luke and Rachel (Pearce) Parish, then of Fairfield county, though originally from Maryland. To this marriage there were born three children: Rachel, Romancy Ann and Joseph. Rachel married Jacob Bellman of Van Buren township, and has seven children. Romancy Ann married Samuel Herrington. They live at Ellenwood, Kans., and have no children. Joseph married Kittie Routsong, and has had four children, two of whom are living. After the death of his first wife, Joseph Yike married Maggie Sheehe, and they now live at Indianapolis, Ind., and have one child.
Daniel and Mrs. Yike have lived in their present beautiful home ever since the first year after their marriage. When Mr. Yike was a young man he learned the carpenter trade, and followed that trade for forty years. He has a well-improved farm of fifty-one acres, which is under a high state of cultivation. The county of Montgomery, since Mr. Yike became an inhabitant thereof, has made wonderful strides in growth and development, and is now one of the foremost in the state. Mr. Yike is universally respected for his temperate, upright and useful life. His wife, who like himself has hosts of friends, is a member of the Reformed church. Both Mr. and Mrs. Yike have so lived that they can look back through the vista of the many years they have passed so happily together, and heave no sigh because of the neglect of any duty.
HENRY APPLE, [pages 1109-1110] of Germantown, Ohio, one of the substantial farmers of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, and a most prosperous and respected citizen, sprang from Pennsylvania Dutch stock.
His grandfather, who was also named Henry Apple, was born in Berks county, Pa., and was a son of John Apple. This grandfather, Henry, married Sarah E. Gebhart, of Berks county, and they became the parents of thirteen children, all of whom reached mature years, married and reared families of their own. These thirteen children were as follows: John, Henry, George, Catherine, Elizabeth, Magdalene, Margaret, Eli, Enoch, Eve, Barbara, Daniel and Tennie. Henry Apple removed to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1805, entering land in Jefferson township, eighty acres, which he cleared up and lived upon about seven years. In 1813 he removed to Jackson township and there bought 160 acres, which he made his permanent home, clearing up this latter farm from the woods. He became prosperous because of his steady, industrious habits, bought more land, and gave eighty acres to each of his children. He was a Lutheran in religion, and was one of the founders of the Slyfer church, in connection with Philip Slyfer. This church was founded in 1819 and is still in existence. Politically, Mr. Apple was a democrat and was one of the foremost citizens of Jackson township. He was one of the sturdy pioneers, and an honorable man. His father, John, came later to this country, and here passed the remainder of his days.
Henry Apple, son of the above and father of the subject, was born in 1802, in Berks county, Pa., where two of his brothers, John and George, were also born, the remainder of the family being born in Montgomery county, Ohio. Henry was but three years old when brought to Ohio by his parents, and grew up a pioneer among the pioneers. Trained to a farmer's life he naturally adopted that vocation. He married Elizabeth Rodehefer, who was born in 1807, and was a daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Ruby) Rodehefer, both of whom were of German descent and pioneers of Montgomery county. Henry Apple and his wife settled in the woods in Jackson township, prospered by hard work and economical management, and in 1838 bought 160 acres of land in that township. Mr. Apple also entered 160 acres in Darke county. He was a member of the Lutheran church, in which he was a deacon and an elder, as was his father before him. His children were as follows: William, Julia, George, Solon, Catherine, Barbara, Henry and Elizabeth. The above children were by his first wife, after whose death he married Sarah Stroup, by whom he had the following children: John; Samuel; Louisa, who died at the age of seventeen; Mary, who died at the age of twenty years; Lydia, Hiram, David, and Sarah Eve. Thus he was the father of sixteen children, fourteen of whom were living at the time of his death. Politically, he was a democrat, and as a citizen he was held in high regard.
Henry Apple, the subject of this sketch, was born in Jackson township, August 6, 1835, received a common-school education and was reared a farmer. On March 13, 1856, he married Catherine Meckley, daughter of Christian and Nancy (Kuner) Meckley, of whom fuller mention is made elsewhere in this volume. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Apple settled on 144 acres of land in Jefferson township, upon which they lived thirty-five years. This land Mr. Apple cleared up from the woods and made of it a good farm and home, putting up good buildings and improving the farm in every way. By careful management and hardy thrift he added to his possessions, owning at one time 320 acres of land. In 1892 he built a pleasant residence on the township line, and now lives on a small property, his children having been given the greater part of his land. He is a member of the Slyfer Presbyterian church, of which he has been for many years a trustee. His wife is a member of the Reformed church. Mr. Apple was a member of the building committee of the new Slyfer church edifice, built for the Union church. Politically, he is a democrat, but is not an office seeker. His children are as follows: Lucinda; Benjamin F.; Oliver, who died at the age of three years; and Perry. Mr. Apple is a most worthy citizen, and enjoys the confidence of a large circle of valued friends and acquaintances.
SAMUEL BECK, [page 1110] prominent as a contractor and builder in his native township of Jefferson, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born August 17, 1850, a son of Samuel and Annie (Getter) Beck, and here he has been reared to manhood, his present post-office address being Ellerton, Ohio.
Henry Beck, his paternal grandfather, was a native of Pennsylvania, but early became one of the pioneers of Salem, Montgomery county, Ohio; while John Getter, his maternal grandfather, also a native of Pennsylvania, was one of the pioneers of Jefferson township; and thus it will be seen that Samuel Beck, our subject, is of long-time Buckeye descent.
Samuel Beck, Sr., settled on a farm near Liberty, Montgomery county, Ohio, prior to 1840, and here pursued his trade of carpentering until his death, which occurred in 1850. His children were four in number and were named, in order of birth, Mary, who became the wife of Frederick Staver; Martha J., the wife of Fred Schwartztrauben; Henry; and Samuel, whose name opens this sketch.
Samuel Beck, the youngest of this family of four children, was reared in Jefferson township and received the best education its common schools afforded, and, after having passed through his schoolboy days, served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, which he learned thoroughly. For six years after serving his term of apprenticeship he worked as a journeyman, perfecting himself in the meanwhile in his trade, and was thus enabled, in 1878, to start in business on his own account in Gettersburg, Montgomery county, the post-office of which village, as has been mentioned, is known as Ellerton. He has made a marked success in his vocation, and is probably now the most prosperous contractor and builder of Jefferson township.
The marriage of Mr. Beck took place, in 1878, to Miss Martha Howser, the accomplished daughter of John and Sarah Ellen (Drill) Howser, of Miamisburg, Ohio, and as a result of this union there are ten children. They are John H., who is a teacher by profession; Samuel; Jennie, the wife of Harley Long; Annie; Ida, married to Furman Woodward; Howard, Charles, Edith, Flora and Ethel. The father is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in politics adheres to the democratic party, and no man is more favorably known throughout the county, as a business man and public-spirited citizen, than Samuel Beck.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page