HENRY A. GARLAUGH, [pages 1123-1124] farmer, of Beaver Creek township, Greene county, Ohio, was born February 7, 1830, in the township in which he now resides. He is a son of Henry and Mary (Harmison) Garlaugh, the former of whom was a native of Washington county, Md., and the latter of Virginia. They were the parents of five children, as follows: Sophia, wife of Simon Black; Henry A., the subject of this sketch; Sarah E,; Upton H. and Noah C. Upton H. died in August, 1895, aged fifty-two years.
Henry Garlaugh, the father, was by occupation a farmer, and came to Ohio in 1828. His father, Adam Garlaugh, entered the land where Henry A. Garlaugh now lives. Henry Garlaugh had been previously married, and had brought his first wife to Ohio, where she died. He then returned to Maryland, lived there sixteen years, married again and came to Ohio for the second time in 1828. His second wife was the mother of the children named above. He continued to live on the farm above mentioned until his death, which occurred February 16, 1858, when he was seventy-five years old. Mary Harmison, his second wife, was born August 2, 1802, and died May 22, 1879. Both were members of the German Reformed church. Mr. Garlaugh first came to Ohio about 1811, and served his country in the war of 1812. During the rest of his life in this state he was of more than ordinary prominence in the community, and was always highly esteemed for his patriotism and his excellent qualities of citizenship.
The paternal grandfather of the subject, Adam Garlaugh, lived in Maryland during the early days of his life, but came to Ohio, followed the occupation of a farmer here, and died in Greene county, both he and his wife, Christina, being buried in the Beaver Creek cemetery. The maternal grandfather of the subject, William Harmison, was a native of Berkeley county, Va., as also was his wife, Ruth.
Henry A. Garlaugh has lived all his life on his present farm, which was his grandfather's before him. He received his education in the district schools. After his father's death the farm was left to his mother, and he and his brother, Upton, worked for her until her death. Then he and Upton bought the interests of the other heirs, and in 1893 Henry A. bought his brother Upton's interest, thus coming into possession and ownership of the entire farm, which contains 160 acres of land. It is well improved, with a commodious residence, and gives evidence of the careful husbandry of its owner.
Mr. Garlaugh was married January 15, 1874, to Miss Martha Brown, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Lindamond) Brown. To this marriage there have been born three children, Daisy Belle, Mary Allen and Frank Elwood. Mrs. Garlaugh is a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Garlaugh is a republican, and interested in the questions of the day. He has lived sixty-five years on his present farm, and has witnessed the great development of the Miami Valley, and especially of the city of Dayton. At one time when he was a young man he brought a load of lumber into Dayton, and his wagon passed over the ground on which the court house now stands. The county of Greene, in which he lives, has also made rapid strides in growth and prosperity, during his life time. Mr. Garlaugh is a representative farmer, and a good citizen. The success with which he has met is due to his own effort and thought, and in the truest sense of the word he is one of the self-made men of his county.
AUSTIN GEBHART, [pages 1124-1125] a well-known agriculturist of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Miami township, July 13, 1829, and is an ex-soldier of the late Civil war.
John George Gebhart, his paternal grandfather, was a native of Berks county, Pa., came to Ohio in 1804, and settled in Miami township, this county, where he cleared an excellent farm, on which he passed the remainder of his days. His wife, who was born Catherine Smith, bore him ten children, namely: Henry, who was born in Berks county, Pa., in 1799; Mary M., who was married to John Shupert; Catherine, wife of Daniel Shelley; Susan, who married Peter Waldsmith; Elizabeth and Maria, twins, the former of whom was married to Henry Pressler, and the latter to John Stettler; Peter, Margaret, George and Saloma—the last named married to Daniel Miller.
Jacob Yount, the maternal grandfather of Austin Gebhart, was a native of North Carolina, and came to Ohio in 1802, cleared up a farm in German township, Montgomery county, and there died, a highly honored pioneer. His wife, whom he married in his native state, bore the maiden name of Foutz.
Henry Gebhart, father of Austin, was reared in Miami township from the age of nine years. He married Miss Sally Yount, daughter of Jacob Yount, named above, and this union resulted in the birth of fourteen children, of whom six grew to maturity, viz: Jacob, now deceased; Zebulon; Mary, deceased wife of William Gebhart; Austin, our subject; Minerva, now Mrs. William Loy, and Peter Y. The father of this family was a lifelong and prosperous farmer, was a man of mark in his community, and for eighteen consecutive years was trustee of Miami township, bearing the soubriquet of Trustee Henry.
Austin Gebhart was reared in Miami township, where he followed his vocation as a farmer until 1869, when he came to Jefferson township, where he has been engaged in farming ever since, and on the farm on which he now resides since 1876. He has been twice married, his first wife being Sarah Ann Shade, and the second, Barbara Billman.
During the late Civil war Mr. Gebhart was a member of company E, First Ohio volunteer infantry, and participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Stone River and Chickamauga, and was with Sherman until his three-year term of enlistment expired at Atlanta, Ga. He was placed on the roll of honor for gallantry displayed at Stone River, and on his return to Ohio on a furlough, in March, 1864, he was elected over three other candidates to bring with him the sum of $7,000, which the members of the regiment sent home to their families. On the 10th of August, 1864, Mr. Gebhart was honorably discharged from the service at Dayton, Ohio. He is a member of the United Brethren church, in politics is a republican, and holds a high position in the esteem of his neighbors.
GEORGE GETTER, [pages 1125-1126] deceased farmer of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., February 3, 1805, a son of John and Mary (Lambert) Getter, and in 1819, when in his fifteenth year, was brought to this county by his parents, and here grew to manhood. March 14, 1828, he married Miss Mary Wertz, who was born in 1808, a daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Weymer) Wertz, of Jefferson township, and at once purchased the farm on which his widow still resides. This farm he cleared and improved, and here followed the peaceful pursuit of agriculture until his final illness, which resulted in his death July 5, 1875. The union of George and Mary Getter was blessed with thirteen children, born in the order here given; John, Daniel (deceased), George (deceased), William, Sarah A. (Mrs. Thomas Askins, deceased), Jacob, Joseph, Peter (deceased), Mary E. (wife of Eli Shade), Samuel, Perry P. (deceased), Henry and Albert T. In his politics George Getter was a democrat, and for fourteen years served as township treasurer, and for several years as infirmary director; he reared his family in the faith of the Lutheran church, and in this faith he himself expired, an upright and greatly respected citizen.
Albert T. Getter, son of George and Mary Getter, mentioned above as their youngest child, was born on the Getter homestead in Jefferson township April 7, 1855, and this has always been his home, his vocation being that of a farmer. November 15, 1877, he married Miss Susan Treon, daughter of Michael and Sarah (Gebhart) Treon. and this marriage has resulted in the birth of ten children, of whom eight are still living, viz: Harvey, Alice, May, George, Ray, Grace, Walter and Go] die. Treading in the footsteps of his honored father, Mr. Getter is a democrat in his politics and has served four years as township trustee; he is fraternally a member of the I. 0. 0. F., and in religion is a consistent Lutheran. He is a skillful and industrious farmer, a useful citizen, and holds a secure position in the esteem of his neighbors.
ABRAHAM HARTZELL, [page 1126] who was one of the best known farmers of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was a native of the county and was born January 26, 1836, a son of John and Susannah (Heck) Hartzell, natives, respectively, of Pennsylvania and Virginia. The paternal grandfather, Adam Hartzell, was a native of Berks county, Pa., was a farmer, and one of the pioneers of Jefferson township; while the maternal grandfather, Abraham Heck, born in Virginia, was a pioneer shoemaker of Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio.
John Hartzell was a young man when he settled in Jefferson township, where he continued farming until his death, which occurred when he was seventy-five years of age. He was the father of the unusually large family of seventeen children, of whom sixteen reached mature years, and were named, in order of birth, as follows: Jacob, Joseph, Eliza, Lavina, Allen, Clinton, John, David, Sarah, Abraham, Lewis, Leonard, Susannah, George, Polly and Elizabeth. Of these, Sarah was married to Samuel Douglass, Susannah is the wife of Charles Hunter, and Elizabeth is now Mrs. Jacob Sharritts; those who died after reaching maturity were Jacob, Joseph, Lavina, Allen, Clinton and Abraham.
Abraham Hartzell, the tenth born of this family, was reared and educated in his native township of Jefferson, always followed farming as an occupation, and died,. September 29, 1896, on the farm he had occupied since 1878. He belonged to the Reformed church, of which his widow is still a member. He was thoroughly skilled in his calling, and his place presented every evidence of thrift and prosperity. Mr. Hartzell was twice married—his first wife having been Catherine Beckinbaugh, and his second wife Emeline Beckinbaugh. In his politics Mr. Hartzell was a democrat. The family, being one of the oldest in Montgomery county, is held in universal esteem.
SAMUEL HAMMEL, [pages 1126-1128] an old settler of Montgomery county, Ohio, and an honored citizen of Clay township, is of sterling Irish ancestry and was born in Dauphin county, Pa., November 21, 1814, a son of William and Susan (Kelley) Hammel.
William Hammel came from Ireland to America at the age of eighteen years, settled first in Baltimore, Md., and took an active part in the war of 1812. He married Susan Kelley in Dauphin county, Pa., whither he had removed after the war, and where he worked at his trade of mason. This marriage resulted in the birth of nine children, viz: Isabel, Samuel, William, Prudence, Henry, James N., Joseph W., Eliza and Andrew J., the majority of whom were born in Ohio, as the father brought his wife and his Pennsylvania-born children to Montgomery county, this state, in 1818, and settled in Salem. Here he worked at his trade until his removal to Madison township, about 1828, when he made his home near Air Hill until 1832. He then removed to Darke county and bought a farm of 160 acres near Greenville, where he passed the remainder of his days, dying at the age of sixty-five years in the faith of the Presbyterian church, in which faith, also, his widow died at the age of seventy-four years. In politics Mr. Hammel was a Jacksonian democrat. He enjoyed the fullest esteem of his fellow-men, and his wife was equally well known for her strength of character and her many womanly qualities.
Samuel Hammel was a lad of but four years when brought to Ohio by his parents. He received as good an education as the pioneer schools of his early youth afforded and was reared to the pursuit of farming, although his entrance upon this career did not at first promise great results, inasmuch as he worked from his eighteenth to his twenty-first year for the compensation of $100 per year and clothed himself. But he was industrious and economical and was prepared to take unto himself a wife when he, had reached his majority, his choice of a helpmate being Miss Catherine Wright, whom he married near Brookville, Ohio, December 3, 1835. This lady was born October 15, 1815, in Dauphin county. Pa., and was a daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Wright.
Robert Wright, the father of Mrs. Hammel, was born in Ireland, but came to America when a young man, settled in Pennsylvania and there married a lady of German descent. They came to Montgomery county, Ohio, about the year 1827, and settled on 100 acres near Brookville, where they lived until Mr. Weight's accidental death on the railroad near Brookville. He and wife were the parents of five children, named George, Robert, Mary, Catherine and Alexander, and were faithful members of the Presbyterian church.
Samuel Hammel, when married, had not sufficient means with which to buy a farm, but with his willing wife began his wedded life in a log cabin, with a puncheon floor and the usual rude finishings, situated on a farm owned by his uncles, Samuel and John Kelley, and there farmed for three years or more. He was a man of great industry and of rigid economy, through which he accumulated the means to purchase his present farm in 1844, and on which he settled in 1847. He continued to work for other persons in order to earn money with which to stock and improve his home place, to which he has constantly added until he now owns a handsome farm of 249 acres, which will vie in fertility and productiveness with any other in the township.
To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Hammel were born seven children, viz: Joseph, who died at the age of ten years; Robert, William H., John K., Abraham F.; Catherine, who died in infancy; and Leah I. The mother of the children died in November, 1892, in her seventy-eighth year, a devout member of the United Brethren church, respected by all who knew her and honored for her devotion as a wife and mother. Mr. Hammel has also been a member of the United Brethren church for many years. In politics he was an old-line whig and voted for William Henry Harrison for the presidency of the United States; later he became a republican, on the formation of that party, and voted for its first candidate for the presidency—John C. Fremont. Mr. Hammel has served fifteen years as township trustee, and has always been an advocate of a liberal public and free education to the youth of the land, having served as school director for over thirty years. He is more than a fair example of what is usually called a self-made man, and his life has been one that might be profitably emulated by the young of the present generation. He has lived to see his descendants increase and multiply, and is now the grandfather of seventeen, and great-grandfather of six children.
DAVID L. HECK, [pages 1128-1129] one of the venerable citizens of Madison township, Montgomery county, Ohio, springs from German ancestors, who, on coming over from Germany, settled in Virginia.
David Heck, his grandfather, was a farmer in Virginia and there married Christina Lane, by whom he had the following children: Daniel, Christina, Elizabeth, Jacob, David and two others. The mother of these children having died, he married again, the name of his second wife being not now recalled, but by whom he had a large family.
David Heck, father of David L., was born in 1783 in Maryland, where his father lived at one time. He married, in Virginia, Magdalena Spitler, daughter of Jacob Spitler, fuller reference to whom is made in the history of the Spitler family, elsewhere in this volume. To Mr. and Mrs. Heck there were born the following children: Samuel M., John D., David L., Annie, Elizabeth, Susannah, Polly A., and Andrew B., the last named of whom died at the age of six years. David Heck came to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1818, settling in Madison township on December 29, of that year. David L. now lives on a part of the farm then taken up. David Heck received eighty acres from his wife's father, Jacob Spitler, who had purchased a quarter section in this county, but who himself never came here. David Heck had come to this county in 1811, then, going back to Virginia, married there, and, bringing his wife with him to Ohio, he erected a cabin and cleared a small part of his land. He again returned to Virginia after remaining here two months, and was engaged in the war of 1812. After the war was over he lived with his wife's father until 1818, when he again came to Montgomery county to remain. Upon arriving in Dayton he was offered the lot upon which the Phillips House now stands, in exchange for the leader of his four-horse team, which offer he refused, because the land there was so wet. By industry and hard labor he prospered and entered a half section of land in Tipton county, Ind., he and six others in 1837 going on horseback from Montgomery county to Indiana, where they all entered land. The price paid by Mr. Heck for his land was $400 for 320 acres.
Mr. Heck was a member of the Regular or Hard Shell Baptist church, but in his old age became a member of the German Baptist church. Politically he remained a Jackson democrat, and was always strong in the faith, as he was in all his opinions, religious or political. He was for a time a director of the Dayton turnpike company, of which he was a stockholder. He also served for a number of years as treasurer of the company. He served as justice of the peace one term, and was looked upon by all as a straightforward, honorable man.
David L. Heck was born March 4, 1816, in Botetourt county, Va., and was therefore only two years old when brought to Montgomery county by his parents. Reared among the early pioneers he became a typical pioneer himself, thoroughly familiar with their customs, habits and virtues. Though his educational facilities and opportunities were exceedingly limited when he was young, yet, possessing an active mind, he read and studied much privately, and became a thoroughly well-informed man. He fully appreciated the value of a cultivated, disciplined mind, and now has a good education. In his youth he learned the carpenter trade. On May 23, 1842, he married, in Perry township, Susannah Shank, who was born on December 25, 1819, and was a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Noffsinger) Shank, for fuller reference to whom the reader is referred to the biographical sketch of Henry Shank, published elsewhere in this volume.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Heck remained on the homestead farm for six years, during which time he worked at his trade. He then bought forty acres of land adjoining his father's farm, where he now lives. Through steady work and industrious application he cleared his farm, made it a good home for his family, and has added to it,
To Mr. and Mrs. Heck there were born the following children: Harriet, who died at the age of seven years; David F., Elizabeth, Samuel, Eliza A., John W., Warren, Harry and Clement L. Mrs. Heck died in her seventy-fourth year, a member of the United Brethren church and a woman of many virtues. Politically Mr. Heck is a democrat, and as such has served as justice of the peace one term and as county infirmary director one term. Throughout his life he has been well known as a man of straightforward honesty of character and of strict adherence to principle. His judgment is universally respected, and for this reason he has been selected to serve the people of his county in various capacities.
GEORGE C. HENKEL, M. D., [pages 1129-1130] of Farmersville, Ohio, is the oldest and most prominent physician in this town and vicinity, where he has practiced for the past thirty-five years. He descends from a very ancient family of Saxony, Germany, of noble caste. Rev. Mulenborg, the first Lutheran minister in America, was sent here by Count Henkel, one of Dr. Henkel's ancestors, and the great-great-grandfather of Dr. Henkel was born in North Carolina in colonial times. The children born to the latter ancestor were Johan, Gertrude and Paul, of whom the last named was the great-grandfather of George C. Henkel.
Rev. Paul Henkel, grandfather of the doctor, was a Lutheran minister, born in North Carolina, but who removed to Virginia, and Rev. Andrew Henkel, the father, also became a resident of Virginia, making his residence in New Market, Shenandoah county, but when a young man came to Ohio and settled in Perry county. There he married Miss Margaret Trout, a native of Washington county, Pa., and a daughter of George and Elizabeth (Zeigler) Trout, to which union were born Hiram, Melancthon, Julia A., Paul, Mary, Margaret, Sabina, George C., William and Edward. In 1819 Andrew Henkel settled in Germantown, Ohio, preached to the pioneers, and died in 1873 at the advanced age of eighty years. He was a democrat in politics, was worshipful master in the Germantown lodge of Freemasons and noble grand in his lodge of Odd Fellows. His son, Edward, served three years in the Ninety-third Ohio volunteer infantry, was captured by the enemy at the battle of Perryville, Ky., but was paroled and served out his term.
Dr. George C. Henkel was born in Germantown, Montgomery county, Ohio, July 2, 183 5, and was educated primarily in the district schools, supplementing this by a thorough training at Oxford university, Butler county, Ohio. He then read medicine under Dr. John H. Helm, of Eaton, Ohio, and later attended medical lectures at the Ohio Medical college, of Cincinnati, and, having secured his diploma, began the practice of medicine in Salem, Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1860. He remained there for only about four months, and then removed to Farmersville, where his abilities were at once recognized and where he has held a lucrative and successful practice, since his first location here in 1861.
The marriage of Dr. Henkel took place, in 1861, to Miss Catherine Martin, who was born in 1836 in Berks county, Pa., a daughter of John and Eliza (Brown) Martin, the result of this union being four children, named, in order of birth, Vernon A., Naomi, Ruth and Orpha. The doctor and his wife are members of the Progressive Brethren church, in which the doctor is a deacon. He is, beside, a member of Friendship lodge, No. 21, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Germantown.
DANIEL HOOPS, [pages 1130-1131] one of the oldest and most respected farmers of Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born here on his father's farm, August 24, 1817, and descends from Scotch ancestors who settled in America before the war of the Revolution, his great-grandfather, a blacksmith, having been the first of the family to come to this country. He settled in Chester county, Pa., near Philadelphia, where he followed his trade and also engaged in farming; but he sold his farm during the Revolutionary war, receiving in payment continental money, which proved to be worthless, and he was therefore obliged to return to his trade of blacksmithing. He died in Chester county, aged eighty years.
Eben Hoops, grandfather of Daniel, died in Chester county, Pa. Among his children was a son who was also named Eben, who became the father of Daniel, the subject of this memoir. The younger Eben was born in Chester county, Pa., was a tailor by trade, and was married in Virginia to Kate Kinsor, who bore him seven children: Michael, John, Jane, Isaiah, Christine, Polly, and one whose name cannot be remembered. In 1808 Eben Hoops came to Ohio, and bought 100 acres of land in Jefferson township, Montgomery county. He followed his trade of tailor, and the pioneers came from Dayton and the country roundabout, bringing homemade cloth, which he made into clothing. He always kept on hand, also, a large stock of cloth, and was kept constantly busy. He prospered, and bought sixty additional .acres of land, and eventually became one of the most substantial farmers of the township. He was a democrat in politics, served as township trustee for years, and was well known throughout the county. On the death of his first wife, he married Miss Susannah Sheets, who was born in Rockingham county, Va.,. about 1799, and this union resulted in the birth of Daniel, whose name opens this sketch, Sarah, Lewis, Henry, Minerva, Eliza and Solomon. Eben Hoops died on his farm at the age of eighty-four years, leaving an untarnished name and the memory of a useful life.
Daniel Sheets, father of Mrs. Susannah Hoops, came from Kentucky to Montgomery county, Ohio, having been a pioneer of that as well as of this state. He passed the remainder of his life in Jackson township, and here, also, his wife died at the age of ninety years. They were the parents of Hannah, Nancy, Polly, Susannah and Solomon Sheets.
Daniel Hoops was reared among the pioneers of Jackson township, and received his education in the log school-house of the frontier, which he attended during the winters until he was twenty years of age. He learned the shoemaker's trade, became very expert, being able to make nine shoes in a day, and successfully followed the trade thirty-five years. He was industrious and economical, and earned with his last the money with which he bought his present farm. May 26, 1840, he married Miss Mary A. Delawter, who was born in Farmersville, Ohio, May 22, 1822, a daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Brown) Delawter.
Jacob Delawter was a native of Maryland, of German descent, came to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1821, bought 180 acres in the woods and converted it into a fine farm. His children were named Alpheus, Ezra, Rebecca, Mary A., Catherine, David, Sarah A., Jacob, Jonas, Lewis and Elizabeth. Mr. Delawter was for a long time crier at public auctions, was full of wit, and was known throughout the county as Uncle Jake. He died at the age of eighty-three years, a member and trustee of the Lutheran church.
Daniel Hoops and wife after marriage settled on Twin creek, where Mr. Hoops continued to work at his trade. He first bought eight acres in Jackson township, on which he lived four years, then bought twelve acres more, on which he lived eleven years, then moved to Preble county, where he remained for eleven years longer, and finally returned to Jackson township and settled on his present farm of 103 acres. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Hoops was blessed with the following children: Sarah, Susan, Jacob and Rebecca. Mrs. Hoops died on the farm May 15, 1893, a devout member of the German Reformed church, and a woman who honored the names of helpmate and mother. In politics Mr. Hoops is a democrat and served as trustee of his township for five years, as constable three years, and also for many years as member of the school board. He has been a member of the grange ever since its organization, and is a man of sterling worth.
REV. JONAS HORNING, [pages 1131-1132] a farmer of Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and a minister for the past fifteen years of the German Baptist church, was born April 27, 1839, in Montgomery county, Pa. He is a son of William and Hannah (Price) Horning, and was a year and a half old when brought to Ohio by his parents, in the fall of 1840. His early education was not by any means neglected, he being permitted to attend the common schools as long as this course was profitable, and afterward he pursued a steady course of carefully selected reading and study, more particularly in Bible subjects, and is thus well qualified for the duties of his responsible position as pastor of the church. In his twenty-fifth year, on March 10, 1864, he was married in Perry township to Miss Catherine Bowser, who was born January 24, 1843, in Wabash county, Ind., and is a daughter of Philip and Susan (Warvel) Bowser. The grandfather of Mrs. Horning, George Bowser, was a well known pioneer, for a fuller mention of whom the reader is referred to the biography of Isaac Erbaugh, elsewhere in this volume.
Philip Bowser, father of Mrs. Horning, was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, and married Susan Warvel, by whom he had the following children, besides Catherine: Noah, Emanuel, who died at the age of twenty-one; Daniel, George and Aaron. Soon after his marriage, Philip Bowser moved to Indiana, settling in Wabash county, but later, not being satisfied there, returned to Montgomery county, Ohio, where he purchased a farm of fifty-two acres in Perry township, to which he added until he had 100 acres in one body, and at length purchased fifty-three acres in Jackson township, where Mr. Horning now lives. Mr. Bowser was a member of the German Baptist church and lived to be seventy-five years of age. He was a man of high character, and much esteemed by the people among whom he had lived.
Rev. Mr. Horning and wife settled on their present farm immediately after their marriage and have lived thereon ever since, a period of thirty-two years. Mr. Horning has proved himself to be one of the most practical farmers of the county.
When twenty-three years of age Mr. Horning united with the German Baptist church, becoming a deacon in 1870, in which relation he served the church five years, at the end of which period he was elected minister, and has preached the Gospel for the past fifteen years. Mr. and Mrs. Horning had one son, George, who was born October 3, 1873, and who died at the age of seventeen months. For his tendency toward the ministry Mr. Horning is indebted to his mother's side of the family, many of his ancestors on that side having followed that calling, the Prices being among the first to preach and practice this particular form of religion in the United States, as may be more fully learned by reference to the biography of Rev. Samuel Horning, published elsewhere in this volume.
GEORGE W. HOUK, [pages 1132-1133] a prosperous, farmer of Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born in Germany December 25, 1849, a son of George and Margaret Houk, who were the parents of four other children.
George Houk, the father, was a blacksmith by trade, and in 1854 sailed from Bremen for New York, whence he came direct to Ohio and for one year worked at his trade in Cincinnati. He then came to Dayton, where he opened a shop and carried on blacksmithing for twenty years. He then went to Jackson county, Mo., and was eight years engaged in farming, when he died at the age of sixty-five years. He was a republican in politics, was a hard-working and worthy citizen, and was respected for his integrity and many manly qualities.
George W. Houk, at the age of five years, with his mother and her other children, started from Bremen for America in a sailing vessel for the purpose of joining the husband and father, but the mother and one daughter—Edith —died of cholera on the voyage and were buried at sea. After a passage of forty days the vessel arrived in New York, whence the four surviving children were sent to their father in Cincinnati, where they were placed in a German Protestant orphans' institution. Here George W. remained for three years, receiving instruction in German and English. About this time the father married, at Dayton, Sadie Millsteder, to which union was born one child —William. George being now eight years old, rejoined his father, with whom he lived until he was thirteen, and then went to live with Jacob Eby, a farmer of Jackson township, and here he worked until he was twenty-six years of age, attending school, meanwhile, until he was eighteen. December 28, 1876, | Mr. Houk married, in Dayton, Miss Sarah Cotterman, who was born near that city May 9, 1858, a daughter of William and Amanda (McPherson) Cotterman.
William Cotterman was a native of Pennsylvania, and was a lad when brought by his father to Ohio. He grew to manhood on a farm near Dayton, married Miss McPherson, and became the father of the following children, beside Sarah: Clinton, Clara, Adam, James, and Albertus (who died at the age of fifteen years). Mr. Cotterman was a soldier in the Civil war, served three years, and after his return passed several years on his farm at Pyrmont, Ohio, but some time since retired to the soldiers' home near Dayton to pass in quiet his remaining days. Mrs. Cotterman died at the age of about forty years, a conscientious member of the Lutheran church and a devoted wife and mother, her daughter, Sarah, being then fifteen years old.
Immediately upon their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Houk went to Madison county, Ind., where they lived on a farm for fifteen years and then returned to Montgomery county, Ohio, where Mr. Houk bought his present tract of 152 1/2 acres in Jackson township, which he has materially improved. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Houk has been blessed with five children, who are named Ella A., Jennie M., Blanche S., Ruth M. and Juanita. In politics Mr. Houk is a democrat and an ardent friend of free silver. While a resident of Madison county, Ind., he was superintendent of the pikes, or gravel roads, of Anderson township, and also a member of the school board for several years, and is now a trustee of Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio.
WlLLIAM F. HOWELL, [pages 1133-1134] a prominent and successful farmer of Harrison township, Montgomery county, was born in Clermont county, Ohio, May 11, 1827. He is a son of John M. and Mary M. (Fee) Howell, the former a native of Bracken county, Ky., and the latter of Clermont county, Ohio. They were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are still living, as follows: William F., Joseph P., Augusta M., widow of James Can; Mary Jane, also a widow; Callie, wife of William Plank; Thomas L., and Elizabeth, wife of Robert Searles.
John M. Howell was a blacksmith in his early life, but later turned his attention to farming. He came to Clermont county, Ohio, when he was nine years of age, and lived in the county the remainder of his life, dying there in 1877 when in his seventy-first year. His wife, surviving him a number of years, died when she was eighty-four. Both were most excellent people, were known for many miles around as kind-hearted and Christian neighbors, and were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Her father, beside being one of the early justices of the peace, was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church in the pioneer days of Montgomery county.
The father of John M. Howell, Lampkin Howell, was for many years a resident of Maryland, and later of Kentucky, Bracken county, in which county he died when his son, John M., was nine years old. The farm then owned by Lampkin Howell still goes by the name of the "Howell farm." The maternal grandfather of William F. Howell, Elijah Fee, was a farmer, a justice of the peace and a local preacher. He was an early settler of Clermont county, where he died when upward of sixty years of age.
William F. Howell was reared in Clermont county, Ohio, and remained at home on the farm until he was twenty years of age, when he entered a commercial college in Cincinnati. Afterward he was engaged in business in Cincinnati for about ten years. In 1859 he located on the farm on which he now lives, which is three miles west of the court house in Dayton, and upon this farm all his children were born, except the eldest, who was born in Cincinnati. Politically, Mr. Howell is a republican. For many years he was a director of the Home Avenue railroad, running to the soldiers' home, and also a director of the Teutonia National bank. His home farm had originally 175 acres of land, but now has only 100 acres. Mr. Howell has lived in Montgomery county nearly forty years, and has witnessed and aided its wonderful growth and development. He and his father-in-law were prime movers in the construction of the Home Avenue railroad, as well as in many other improvements, and he has always been a man of enterprise and public spirit.
Mr. Howell was married July 9, 1857, to Miss Sarah C. Applegate, daughter of James and Mary (Snyder) Applegate, the former of whom was of the old Applegate publishing house of Cincinnati, and for many years has been a leading and prominent citizen of Dayton. To Mr. and Mrs. Howell there have been born five children, four sons and one daughter, as follows: James A., deceased; John W.; Thomas E.; Frank Webster and Mary. John W., who resides on the home farm, married Miss Anna Fee, and has one child, Frederick. Thomas E. married Miss Elizabeth Blackwell, by whom he has four children, Robert, Eugene, Marguerite and Edwina. Thomas E. Howell is manager of the city railway, and lives on a portion of the home farm, which has been subdivided. Frank W. is practicing law in Dayton, and Mary is living at home with her parents. The eldest three of the children of Mr. and Mrs. William F. Howell, as well as themselves, are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are all highly esteemed and useful members of society.
CHARLES HUNTER, [pages 1134] a well-known farmer of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, was born near Earlville, Berks county, Pa., October 26, 1838, a son of Jacob and Matilda (Boyer) Hunter, both natives of Berks county, Pa., and of English and German descent, respectively. The paternal grandfather, John Hunter, and the maternal grandfather, Jacob Boyer, were also born in Berks county, Pa.
Jacob and Matilda Hunter, parents of Charles, came to Jefferson township about the year 1850, and here resided until 1861, when they removed to Mad River township, where the father died in 1862; the mother survived until 1880, when she expired at the home of her son Charles. They had a family of five children, who grew to maturity, and who were named Charles, James B., Catherine, Ada and Ann. Of these, Catherine was married to Tobias Marker, Ada became the wife of Henry Crouder, and Ann is now Mrs. Samuel Gilbert.
Charles Hunter was reared in Jefferson township from the age of twelve years, was educated in the common schools, and, with the exception of two years spent near Cincinnati, has passed all his life in this township since he came here with his parents in 1850, and has been an occupant of his present farm since 1867. He was united in matrimony October 20, 1861, with Miss Susannah Hartzell, daughter of John and Susannah (Heck) Hartzell, of Jefferson township, and to this union have been born eleven children, in the following order: Ida, now Mrs. Howard Linebaugh; Almeda, the wife of Frank Eyier; Catherine, now Mrs. Tateell; Adriella, deceased; Clara, married to Edward Eck; Susannah, who married Joseph Wiseman; Matilda, married to Firman Gross; Rosa, married to George W. Stebbins; Charles, at home; Adella, the wife of Charles Stuck, and Howard, at home. In his politics Mr. Hunter is a democrat, and has served several terms as trustee of Jefferson township, and also as superintendent of the county infirmary for two years.
JOSEPH IZOR, [pages 1134-1135] of Farmersville, a substantial farmer of Jackson township, Montgomery county, Ohio, springs from Irish and German ancestry, old settlers in Pennsylvania. His grandfather, Philip Izor, moved with his family in pioneer days to Preble county, Ohio, settling near Urich's Mills, where he lived for some time. His wife, Mary Ridgeley, bore him six children, viz: John Henry, Philip, Joshua, Alexander, David and Elizabeth. Philip Izor, the father of these children, died in Winchester, Ohio.
David Izor, father of Joseph, was born in Pennsylvania, came with his father to Ohio, and married Rosanna Ault, who was a daughter of John and Annie Ault, and born in Montgomery county. Mr. Izor was a farmer by occupation, and his children were Joseph, Joshua, and Sarah A. Mr. Izor died in 1833, when he was about twenty-eight years of age.
Joseph Izor was born November I, 1828, in Preble county, Ohio, and was therefore about six years of age when his father died. He was bound out by his father until he should be eighteen years of age, to Henry Bear, of Montgomery county, a farmer. Young Joseph remained with Mr. Bear during the period for which he was bound, receiving in the meantime a good education. He continued with Mr. Bear afterward until he was twenty-six years of age, and on December 21, 1854, married Matilda Oldfather, who was born in Montgomery county, November 24, 1834, and was a daughter of Samuel and Rebecca (Pense) Oldfather.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Izor rented a farm of Mr. Bear, on which they lived until 1871, in which year they removed to their present farm. This farm Mr. Izor has much improved and made a good home. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Izor are as follows: William 0., Charles E., Clayton A., Ira F., Samuel, Daniel W., Jesse I., two that died in infancy, Sarah A. and Laura E. Mrs. Izor died December 26, 1896, a member of the German Reformed church, of which Mr. Izor has for years been a trustee. Politically, he is a prohibitionist, though formerly a democrat.
The children of Mr. and Mrs. Izor married as follows: William 0. married Jane Apple, has four children, and is a farmer of Jackson township; Charles E. married Maggie Guntle, has four children, and is a farmer of Clay township; Clayton A. married Anne Albaugh, has three children, and is a farmer of Jackson township; Ira E. married Ida M. Stiver, has one child, and is a farmer upon the home place; Samuel married Catherine Stiver, has one child, and is a farmer of Jackson township; Sarah A. married Moses Mingle, a farmer of Jackson township; Laura E. married Frank Bower, now deceased, and has one child.
Samuel Oldfather, the father of Mrs. Izor, was a farmer of German township, owning there 100 acres of land, his father, Henry, having been one of the original pioneers. Samuel Oldfather's children were named as follows: Sarah A., Matilda, Mary J., William, Henry, Susannah, Elizabeth, Simon P., Thomas J. and Daniel W, Mr. Oldfather was a member of the German Reformed church. and was a trustee of his church. He lived to be seventy-two years of age, dying on his farm.
LEWIS W. JOHNS (deceased), [pages 1135-1136] formerly a resident of Montgomery county, Ohio, and a soldier during the late Civil war, was born November 15, 1845. He came of an excellent family and was himself the head of a much respected family of children. He was of Pennsylvania-Dutch stock, and a straightforward, honorable man in all his dealings.
Lewis W. Johns received the customary common-school education of the days of his youth, and was reared a farmer. He enlisted January 25, 1864, at Dayton, Ohio, as a member of Capt. Charles H. Harrison's company H, Sixty-third Ohio volunteer infantry, for three years or during the war, and was honorably discharged July 8, 1865, at Louisville, Ky. He participated in the famous Atlanta campaign and was in the battles of Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Goldsborough, Peach Orchard, Big Shanty, Marietta, Decatur. East Point and Atlanta, and was also in many skirmishes. Thus it will be seen that he took part in the hardest-fought battles of the Atlanta campaign, one of the most remarkable in history. He was also one of those that went with Shennan to the sea. Enduring all the hardships of a soldier's life, and performing all his duties in the most faithful spirit, he is well deserving of a niche in the history of his country, along with other heroes of the great struggle for the preservation of the Union. He was more fortunate than many others, not being in the hospital nor wounded while in the service, though he participated in all the battles and skirmishes in which his regiment was engaged.
After the war Mr. Johns returned to Montgomery county, and resumed farming on his father's homestead. On December 3, 1868, he married Barbara E. Spitler, of Clay township, who was born in 1850, at Arlington, Ohio, on her father's farm. She is a daughter of Joseph and Barbara (Limperd) Spitler, the former of whom was a substantial farmer of Clay township, and was a son of John Spitler, one of the pioneers of Clay township. Joseph Spitler and wife were the parents of ten children, as follows: Ephraim, John H., Hannah H., Martha J., Mary E , Ezra. M., Sarah C., Barbara E., Susannah M. and Luella B. Joseph Spitler lived to be seventy-eight years old, and died September 16. 1888. Politically, he was a republican, and he was a member of the United Brethren church. He was one of the patriotic citizens of the country at the time of the war, and had two sons in the 100-day service, John H. and Ezra M.
Mr. and Mrs. Johns settled on their present homestead of fifty-two acres, which he materially improved. He and his wife were members of the United Brethren church, he taking an active interest in all kinds of religious work, and holding all the offices of his church at different times. He was class leader twelve years, and was trustee and also superintendent of the Sunday-school, Politically, he was a republican and later a prohibitionist. He was a man of unblemished character and highly esteemed for his sterling integrity and worth. His children are as follows: Carson, Parker, Lester, Edna, Ada and Maud. His death occurred January 4, 1893, to the regret of all that knew him. He was a great sufferer from the effects of his army service, which doubtless did much to hasten his death.
John John, his father, who wrote the family name without the final "s," was a pioneer settler of Clay township, coming from Pennsylvania, and being a successful farmer. He reared a family of ten children, and lived to be seventy-nine years old.
Return to "Centennial Portrait" Home Page